• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official (Read OP) DeDeDe Tour! Community MU Analysis

KnightofPizza

Smash Apprentice
NNID
LergiOfficial
This matchup is, to put it bluntly, in Duck Hunt's favor. D3 is not very good at approaching, and Duck Hunt is a character that was made to sit at one side of the stage and throw pigeons and cans at you. Dedede is so slow that Duck Hunt has a huge opportunity for free damage if he can get any sort of space between you and him. This match is really one-sided, and really there's not much to say about it. We probably have a better close-range game than them, but that barely matters at all if we cant even catch the stupid mutt. Even with the extremes of the ratings recently, I still think this matchup deserves a :4duckhunt:65:35 :4dedede:.

Last edited:

Jdawg26

Smash Apprentice
Sorry for my inactivity folks. I still don't have a ton of time so I'll try to keep this writeup short and sweet.

DHD has the advantage and this MU is fairly annoying, I think we all agree on that. However, he has a lot of trouble killing in general, especially against DDD.

A lot of DHD's smashes just kinda... don't work on most characters. People fly out at weird times due to SDI and 1 frame hitboxes on the reticles, which is nice. The only moves that you should be dying to most of the time are his uair and bair, both of which are fairly telegraphed based off of positioning. At higher percents you flat out don't want to be above him.

The can and the clay pigeon are the real issues in this MU, as the can creates a tough barrier to get around, while the pigeon gives DHD multiple confirms to regain stage control. You really have to be careful as to when you drop your shield against this character, as the pigeon can still be detonated after you block it, and it can hit you if you don't time your approach properly.

Other than that, this MU depends on you outplaying DHD pretty hard. It's not easy, but not impossible provided you retain pressure on him. Custom DHD on the other hand is an entirely different story....

@DunnoBro can maybe give a bit of insight from the other side of the story. But imo, :4duckhunt:60:40:4dedede:

He's a character you really have to do your homework on. FYI, can works on a timer system while each shot takes a certain amount of time off of the timer iirc. Normal can is 9 shots, zig-zag is 7.

shrooby

Let me know when I'm supposed to laugh, okay?
BRoomer
NNID
shrooby
3DS FC
2320-6364-8294
I guess I dunno what I was expecting considering how uncommon both characters are but mmmkay

:4duckhunt: 65:35 :4dedede:

Okay so now we're onto a rather...infamous Brawl MU.
Such a bad MU was everywhere! You can imagine how much Dedede players loved that.
Is it still as bad as it was? (Hypothetical question; answer is no, but, you know.)
Discuss! :4metaknight:

Soul Train

Just laugh.
NNID
JSXian
I like this matchup a lot. It's interesting, its polarizing, each character has such different strengths and ways of pursuing them. But for once, D3 doesn't have to approach. And I like that.

Meta Knight has one primary goal: killing you off the top with UpB. And he has two main tools to do start that process: dash attack and grab. How you deal with those two options will determine the matchup.

D3 reaction time, punish game, and defense will be tested here. You'll really need to be intentional in the buttons you push, and optimal in the punishes you deliver. Spacing is crazy important here. Pivot ftilt will do wonders against much of knight's offense. Be ready for the vanishing Down B - it's very punishable; if Knight is floating above you at kill %s, flash the shield, and be ready for the Usmash/Dsmash.

DI is huge to avoid that UpB kill. Huuuge. Unlike most of the cast, D3 doesn't get a death sentence if Meta Knight catches him trying to jump out of a combo. D3 can uniquely escape AND still survive if he still gets hit. Mostly DI up and away while being Uaired - add a few jumps and you'll usually make it out. But if you get UpB'd ONLY DI horizontally away. That combined with D3's weight and fast fall speed will have you living through some hairy situations.

Edgeguarding Knight usually isn't worth it; all of his specials have great priority. Instead go for the ledge traps/trumps. A dsmash trap will kill Knight at very low %s.

Those kill %s are big in this matchup. Knight wants to kill you at 60-90; if you get rage he has to play a lot safer. Knight's Fsmash is actually VERY safe on block, don't try to punish it. And I'd argue that Knight at rage is actually less scary: you'll fall out of grab combos far easier, meaning you can just shield more to avoid the smashes. And of course Knight at rage %s dies to anything.

Knight has great frame data, speed, and can kill super early. But D3 outranges well, is dangerous at more %s, and has a bit more freedom with Gordos here. Not that you should ever use them much at close range, but if you can get a Gordo off in neutral it'll really limit Knight's offensive options. Be ready for his Nair reflect too, it's easy to see coming.

Even, :4metaknight: 50:50 :4dedede:. Though I could see it as slightly in Knight's favor.

Last edited:

KnightofPizza

Smash Apprentice
NNID
LergiOfficial
I know a good Meta Knight that I play sometimes, and it looks like that Dedede doesn't really have that hard of a time against him. Of course MK has that nasty UAir to Up-B combo, but DDD is so heavy that he doesn't get trapped by it too easily, if you have good DI. We also outrange him in neutral, so as long as we're careful, we shouldn't have too many problems, except for his high speed combo ability and overall better frame data. I'd say that pivot FTilt is our best choice on the ground, considering Meta Knight's options.

We can't edgeguard too well, so trumps are the way to go. Usually Meta Knights either recover with Side-B, Up-B, or, in rare cases, Neutral-B. Dedede can cover those options pretty well. Using Up-angled Gordos or trump to Bair would be your best bet here, as long as you use correct timing and respect his specials. I'd say that you'd most want to watch out for a Side-B, as those can get you stage spike'd if you aren't paying attention, on top of having great priority.

MK really doesn't benefit too much from rage, ruining his bread and butter combos he loves oh so much, but giving him easier kills with his Up-B, although risking his second hit to connect. He mostly wants to kill around 70%, maybe a bit less from what I've seen. He really won't want you getting even to the 100% mark, as MK isn't exactly the heaviest character in the cast and won't like your rage.

MK's only real kill moves are his Up-B, FSmash, or maybe Bair, so we have to be wary and avoid getting combo'd into an Up-B around the 70% area and up. Meanwhile, half of Dedede's moveset is kill moves, and Dedede thrives at high percents with the rage effect, so getting a kill shouldn't be that difficult, as long as you can land a solid Bair or DSmash. Dedede's Gordos are also very viable in this MU, as MK has average range and not many very strong, guaranteed hits that can stop them.

:4metaknight: 50:50 :4dedede:, maybe 55:45 MK favor, but this sounds about right. Maybe somewhere in the middle?

Last edited:

Axel311

Smash Ace
NNID
axel311
Yay, a matchup that isn't awful. Like Shrooby says we don't have to approach here. I agree with a lot of what he said. Have to be on point with spacing since meta knight has great frame data and can get in on you if he catches you in lag.

Us having such a big weight advantage does help a lot here. As does the fact that we can outrange meta knight. We also like above said have a lot of freedom with gordos.

:4metaknight:60:40:4dedede:

Last edited:

warionumbah2

Smash Master
Well MK discussions tend to boil down to the simple "he only dash attacks and dash grabs" and "range" but theory doesn't actually play out in real games, Sheik in theory should invalidate MK but you should know the history between MK and Sheik.

Anyway i don't see how this is even, maybe against mid to low level MKs(such as online) but anything above will usually steamroll D3 due to his strong mid range game. Gordos are not safe at mid range, DA can reflect it but in general nothing D3 has are safe within this range and i mean outside Ftilt range. Unlike say Ike who has low cool down on his spacing moves D3 is honestly pretty easy to punish, his F-Smash is safe on block no matter what MK cannot punish this but everything else can be punished with a shield drop instant DA.

Gordo trap situations can be ignored via cape especially on stages with platforms, MK users should never recover with Drill rush or nado that is really dumb. MK can end D3s stock from 33-58%(no rage) and due to his large hurtbox he's A) braindead easy to uair combo and B) easy to sweetspot shuttle loop which kills earlier.

add a few jumps and you'll usually make it out.
This is false when you get Uair combo'd you cannot do anything other than DI(which honestly doesn't change much), if you're able to jump then the MK is just incapable of doing such a simple combo efficiently. There's a reason its called uair combo not string its because its true no character can airdodge, jump or use a move unless you're :4greninja:.

MK really doesn't benefit too much from rage, ruining his bread and butter combos he loves oh so much, but giving him easier kills with his Up-B, although risking his second hit to connect. He mostly wants to kill around 70%, maybe a bit less from what I've seen. He really won't want you getting even to the 100% mark, as MK isn't exactly the heaviest character in the cast and won't like your rage.
@Bold sigged when i log back in.

Also MK being less threatening in rage is false, i'm not sure how you gathered such info but MK in rage is absurd you will die around 20s with rage his combo game is still good. Ledge trump to bair ends D3 very early due to his weak horizontal resistance as well as our Bair scaling much more in rage while having absurd base KB(not like ledge trumps are that likely to occur). We WILL condition you to not instantly choose your get up option as MK is very strong at covering it with nado,jab and F-Smash, D3 cannot do the same as Mk for the most part ignores the ledge altogether lol cape is that useful especially on SV. Once again his large frame comes back to bite him, bair is very easy to land after ledge trump because his aerial mobility is horrid and well he's wide.

Actually this match here displays what i said, we dominate mid range and ledge trump to bair ended you at sub 90% with us only having 80% rage: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0T5qKF7Xza8

Overall this MU is mid range heavy, D3 loses badly in this setting his wall game isn't all that good due to poor frame data and MK can play really safe against D3. MK can juggle D3 hard walking Utilt is pretty solid due to D3s aerial mobility not being good, nothing in D3s arsenal beats MKs Utilt, MK can kill him early at high mid to high level. Niche Gordo traps + Weight is troublesome but the frame data backing up the range is just bad compared to Marth and Ike who are just better at what D3 wants to do: Spacing MK out.

:4metaknight:60:40:4dedede: It'll only get worse in difficulty as MKs is constantly going up, players are becoming more and more refined in his play and uair combos to death. I've seen this MU played with Unknown against some guy at Xanadu, but he's not a good MK so basing the MU off that would be pretty dumb.

Willing to play EU D3 users, about time i used this site to improve and verify if their theorycraft holds any weight.

Amadeus9

Smash Ace
NNID
Amadeuswololo
A lot of misinformation here, fellas.

First:
Rage doesn't break our combos. In fact they make them much more threatening. Dthrow will stop working, but dash grab fthrow > up b and Dash Attack > anything still work fine and you will die much earlier. Shuttle Loop with rage is one of the most terrifying moves in the game. Plus, we gain new kill moves. Bair can start to kill on stage when we have rage. Bair's knockback in rage is absolutely ludicrous. So, any comments about rage making stuff not work is moot lol. We gain a lot from rage.

For some reason you guys think we have to approach in this matchup. We don't. Dedede is so outclassed mobility-wise that we can just stand there at the edge of your range and wait for you to do something. You cant even pressure us with Gordo because as soon as you start the animation for it, "FOOL", you've been dimensional caped. Some of the more lame of us (@ warionumbah2 warionumbah2 COUGH) will just get an advantage and then camp you for 6 minutes if he feels like it, and there really isn't much you can do about it.

D3 is GODDAMN HUGE. Jesus your hitbox is big. Easiest combos of my life. Dash attack WILL kill you from 33-58 percent. Earlier with rage and stale up air. It's easy to say "we box out Metaknight with ftilt", but it's a different story altogether when you are actually reacting to it. This move is fast and has virtually no lag. Meta Knight thrives on being at midrange, playing footsies and staying just out of reach until he has an opportunity to punish. None of your moves are fast enough to deal with Dash Attack or Dash Grab on reaction. You actually cant play footsies with Meta Knight. None of your pokes are safe enough. You'll stop using ftilt altogether after you get punished for using it 3 times. Each time you commit to one of these moves, you lose the neutral, and with our punish game, you only need to lose the neutral 2-3 times to be dead.

:4metaknight: 65:35 :4dedede:

Axel311

Smash Ace
NNID
axel311
There's no way this matchup is that lopsided. Dedede can do a lot of things here. Dedede has huge disjointed hitboxes, which can give meta knight serious fits because his moveset is short ranged and he can struggle to get in against Dedede. Yeah he can play the bait and punish game but he still has to be in Dedede's face to do damage most of the time. His moveset is outranged by Dedede pretty much across the board. Dedede has a huge weight advantage. Dedede is not forced to approach, which is the most important aspect of this matchup for Dedede. Dedede does very well when he can play passive and reactionary, which he can do here. Meta knight is very light, Dedede can kill him very early with dsmash, bair and upair. Dedede has 5 jumps and is floaty which helps him get out of a lot of meta knight's combo shenanigans even though he has a huge hitbox. If meta knight makes any mistakes it's very costly with Dedede's high power and Meta Knight's light weight. It's not all that bad for Dedede. Certainly this may be in Meta knight's favor slightly, but it's not lopsided.

Here's a good Dedede/Meta Knight set - Unknown (a meta knight player someone above mentioned) vrs. Jdawg (a very good Dedede): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-BiZ5mfYXK4

Unknown pulled it out 2-1 in game 3 but it was very close. Watch and you can see some things a good Dedede can do in this matchup.

Last edited:
NNID
UncleCubone
3DS FC
3539-9630-7110
I think we're both majorly underestimating each other here, honestly.

I can't really say for sure what the MU is like (not like I would anyway, given what a flake I am), since I don't play it that often (even though I secondary MK), but I feel like if both players were equally skilled, it would be 50:50, in MK's favor. Buuut, the second one player is even slightly better than the other, the MU goes incredibly in their favor.

The characters have a lot of vague similarities that I think are important to think about going in. We both looooove our dthrow into *stuff* combos, like nair, really hard to edgeguard, and have a somewhat easy time DI-ing. Of course, specials and all that are very different, but they have some coexisting core strategies.

Stage-wise, for :4dedede:, obviously just stay away from Halberd and Delfino(?). Castle Siege and Duck Hunt seem OK though. Smashville is probably the safest starter, but I could live with FD.*

Honestly, a lot of this is just spitballing but hell, if it didn't feel helpful, I wouldn't be wasting my time writing.

*: If I'm wrong about the stages, pleeeeaaase correct me.

Last edited:

Mettie7

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Mettie7
3DS FC
2191-8121-7929
I'm not sure how showing a video of Dedede losing helps your case tbh. Yeah Dedede has some cute combos and d-smash to cover some get-up options. He also has throw combos, a decent recovery, and Gordo traps, but that's it really. He's pretty heavy and gets comboed for days; if he's getting comboed by MK he doesn't have hitboxes out.

And lastly, MK doesn't have to approach at all. Dedede has a projectile but it's not super great. Like Amadeus said, mobility-wise MK clearly excels so it's not hard to just avoid everything he does.

:4metaknight: 60:40 :4dedede:

Jamurai

Victory is my destiny
NNID
Jamurai92
There's no way this matchup is that lopsided. Dedede can do a lot of things here. Dedede has huge disjointed hitboxes, which can give meta knight serious fits because his moveset is short ranged and he can struggle to get in against Dedede. A lot of his Yeah he can play the bait and punish game but he still has to be in Dedede's face to do damage most of the time. His moveset is outranged by Dedede pretty much across the board. Dedede has a huge weight advantage. Dedede is not forced to approach, which is the most important aspect of this matchup for Dedede. Dedede does very well when he can play passive and reactionary, which he can do here. Meta knight is very light, Dedede can kill him very early with dsmash, bair and upair. Dedede has 5 jumps and is floaty which helps him get out of a lot of meta knight's combo shenanigans even though he has a huge hitbox. If meta knight makes any mistakes it's very costly with Dedede's high power and Meta Knight's light weight. It's not all that bad for Dedede. Certainly this may be in Meta knight's favor slightly, but it's not lopsided.

Here's a good Dedede/Meta Knight set - Unknown (a meta knight player someone above mentioned) vrs. Jdawg (a very good Dedede): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-BiZ5mfYXK4

Unknown pulled it out 2-1 in game 3 but it was very close. Watch and you can see some things a good Dedede can do in this matchup.
Saying we're outranged and lighter than you doesn't make much of a difference. You can say the same about Pikachu and Sheik. We compensate for "lack of range" by being much quicker than you and having very high burst speed attacks in dash attack and dash grab, both of which will chunk you for a lot of % (factoring in resultant combos) and can be used to great success from outside your Ftilt range. Our punish game is a lot more threatening than yours, you being heavy doesn't matter, because you have a huge hurtbox we still easily dispatch you with Uairs to Up-B, which can be set up by dash attack or even Fthrow over a relatively wide range of %s (33-58).

Dedede is forced to approach because we can reflect Gordos with quick moves in Uair and Nair (at least), and we can just avoid them anyway with our 6 jumps and teleport. So as soon as we get a lead we can camp you with our superior mobility especially on stages like Smashville. We have multiple jumps as well so relying on them to get out of "shenanigans" isn't going to work. Also, no offence to the guy but Unknown isn't considered to be a top MK by any means (by people I've talked to at least), I watched the set and he goes for quite suboptimal combos etc etc. I'm not sure just how good Jdawg is but I'm pretty confident a better MK (Ito/Tyrant, or even Katakiri/Tech) would be able to show you why MK's punish game is so scary, especially on such a large and slow character.

I'm aware that D3 is not a terrible character but even so some of the stuff you say doesn't make sense to me. The truth is we can chat rubbish about who punishes harder and who outranges who all day but it doesn't help either of us to understand the matchup anywhere near as much as playing each other would. I suggest someone takes up WN2's offer of playing some matches if you want to see why we are convinced that MK wins the matchup.

Last edited:

KeithTheGeek

Smash Ace
NNID
bkeith
3DS FC
5026-4475-8239
I have nothing to actually say that wouldn't be theory crafting, but bear in mind a couple of things. Yeah MK can deflect Gordo, but so can Dedede. I think Dedede can create a better wall than you guys are giving him credit for. And I keep seeing mentions of low % kill confirms, yet in the video on T&C (which has a slightly lower ceiling than FD/BF) he didn't kill off the hit confirm at those percentages, which leads me to believe you guys are sliiiightly exaggerating MK's kill power in this match-up.

I would hesitate to say that it would be 65:35 in MK's favor, in any case, because you are saying that the match-up is as bad as some of Dedede's worst match-ups and I don't really think that's the case. I do think MK would have the advantage, because his speed and combo-ability is a big thing against Dedede, but I also think his range issues and lack of projectile may be an issue for MK in this match-up. You guys mention Sheik and Pikachu, but both of those characters can safely (and more easily) camp Dedede because of their projectile game. Not that Meta Knight can't of course, just something I'd like to keep in mind.

Juuust going on theory-craft, 60:40 MK does some accurate. I'd like to see this match-up some more though.

Cook

Smash Master
In my experience it's very even, based on playing Fye (very good St. Louis/TX MK) and Technology (OH, I believe). Basically, MK can't get in very well unless Dedede does something laggy. Dedede can get MK to kill percent very quickly. MK can't edgeguard Dedede.

I'm not sure about a specific ratio. Either 50:50 or 55:45 (Idk in whose favor).

Last edited:

warionumbah2

Smash Master
@ Axel311 Axel311

Unknown is really far behind the meta and his play hasn't changed since February(i could go on), apparently he doesn't even own the game. He's considered mediocre to other mks at this point thats why I didn't advise posting that video cuz its a bad mk vs d3 (he won anyway). At least post a recent video man, this just shows that d3 lost to pre patch mk who didn't take advantage of his insane punish game and his dominance in mid range. The video actually did the exact opposite of what you intended.

You over simplify this MU, alot or characters outrange mk does that mean he loses to them all? Im looking at the op and it seems d3 gets lolstomped by characters with worse range but insane mobility. As I said your frame data is horrible, your spacing game isn't that good because moves such as ftilt has significant cool down, your jab 1 to 2 isn't even that fast compared to Ike.

Fun fact you cannot react to MKs DA you can only anticipate so playing reactionary is false, you're guessing constantly. What if mk plays safe and makes little errors? D3 cannot do the same because again poor mobility along with poor frame data, there's two videos on this page now of d3 losing. The Mr R video really supports our claim, a 3 week MK 2 stocked a D3 user who's been using him longer than Mr R has with MK. Unknown(using pre patch mk in that vid) who's pretty below average beat Jdawg who imo is the better player overall, don't see how this MU is even. If you were doing the '+0,+1' formula I'd say its +2 in MKs favor.

All im reading is: we r heavier than u, we hit harder dan u, we hav mor range dan u.

We are not kirby who has poor range and garbage mobility to get in, we are not kirby who can't end your stock earlier than any other off a punish, we also have kill confirms up the arse. Stage wise D3 is also at a disadvantage even if they get rid of halberd and delfino in some regions. I don't know what to say if this is even I dread seeing what other heavyweight mains say when mk comes up in their MU discussion.

I suggest someone takes up WN2's offer of playing some matches if you want to see why we are convinced that MK wins the matchup.
Someone is already willing to play just need to find the time where both of us are online. Emblem lord do this and i thought others should do the same to gain MU and knowledge and get better.

Cook

Smash Master
@ Axel311 Axel311

Unknown is really far behind the meta and his play hasn't changed since February(i could go on), apparently he doesn't even own the game. He's considered mediocre to other mks at this point thats why I didn't advise posting that video cuz its a bad mk vs d3 (he won anyway). At least post a recent video man, this just shows that d3 lost to pre patch mk who didn't take advantage of his insane punish game and his dominance in mid range. The video actually did the exact opposite of what you intended.

You over simplify this MU, alot or characters outrange mk does that mean he loses to them all? Im looking at the op and it seems d3 gets lolstomped by characters with worse range but insane mobility. As I said your frame data is horrible, your spacing game isn't that good because moves such as ftilt has significant cool down, your jab 1 to 2 isn't even that fast compared to Ike.

Fun fact you cannot react to MKs DA you can only anticipate so playing reactionary is false, you're guessing constantly. What if mk plays safe and makes little errors? D3 cannot do the same because again poor mobility along with poor frame data, there's two videos on this page now of d3 losing. The Mr R video really supports our claim, a 3 week MK 2 stocked a D3 user who's been using him longer than Mr R has with MK. Unknown(using pre patch mk in that vid) who's pretty below average beat Jdawg who imo is the better player overall, don't see how this MU is even. If you were doing the '+0,+1' formula I'd say its +2 in MKs favor.

All im reading is: we r heavier than u, we hit harder dan u, we hav mor range dan u.

We are not kirby who has poor range and garbage mobility to get in, we are not kirby who can't end your stock earlier than any other off a punish, we also have kill confirms up the arse. Stage wise D3 is also at a disadvantage even if they get rid of halberd and delfino in some regions. I don't know what to say if this is even I dread seeing what other heavyweight mains say when mk comes up in their MU discussion.

Someone is already willing to play just need to find the time where both of us are online. Emblem lord do this and i thought others should do the same to gain MU and knowledge and get better.
Lol, you are pretty self-assured and dismissive of other opinions for someone who hasn't even played the matchup. But I guess that's pretty common for people who like to theorycraft.

On the other hand, even though you talk like MK wrecks Dedede, you only put it at 60:40, which ain't bad. I think it's more even, but 60:40 is a possibility.

Last edited:

warionumbah2

Smash Master
Lol, you are pretty self-assured and dismissive of other opinions for someone who hasn't even played the matchup. But I guess that's pretty common for people who like to theorycraft.
If I haven't played the match up I would not have even posted, luckily there's footage of this MU in tournaments to base it on. All MU discussions are theorycraft get off your high horse, end of the day it doesn't matter as mk isn't phased by this mu and everytime they encounter he wins.

D3 just isn't a threat competitively to really care at this point, I do not think its 65:35 but at worst its even if that makes you feel better.

Edit: I have no idea if there's a vote system here but my first ratio hasn't changed.

Last edited:

shrooby

BRoomer
NNID
shrooby
3DS FC
2320-6364-8294
The dash attack > upair... > shuttle loop is a COMBO. That means you can't jump out of it, as was already said. Multiple jumps don't make a difference.
If you've been able to get out of it in the past, then that MK didn't do it perfectly.

I've only done this MU once with S2H so I won't say I'm doing anything more than theorycrafting, but it frankly is lopsided imo.
MK does not have a reason to approach Dedede. Period. It's bad the same reason characters like Falcon and Sonic are bad; they just have to wait for you mess up. And by mess up, I mean throw out basically any attack. The difference here is that when you mess up MK has a chance of killing you off a single hit.
Sure, whatever, hammer > sword. Sure we have range. We have range on every character besides Shulk. But it doesn't matter because as soon Dedede's in the disadvantageous situation, which it frankly isn't that hard to MK to make happen for the same reasons Sonic and Falcon don't have much trouble doing it, he has a good chance of outright getting KOd.
Against the hypothetical amazing MK, you don't get out of it. You're dead. Unless you're Greninja, apparently. It's a combo, not a string. There is no jumping out of it, there is no DI to escape it (in theory).
Granted, given that Dedede is Dedede, it won't actually kill off the top until relatively high percent. (Relative to the percents MK is usually able to KO with the combo, I mean)

Yay, a matchup that isn't awful. Like Shrooby says we don't have to approach here. I agree with a lot of what he said. Have to be on point with spacing since meta knight has great frame data and can get in on you if he catches you in lag.

Us having such a big weight advantage does help a lot here. As does the fact that we can outrange meta knight. We also like above said have a lot of freedom with gordos. This matchup has always felt very even to me.

:4metaknight:50:50:4dedede:
MK doesn't have to approach either.
When I said that, I was trying to make a point as to why I think this MU is bad.
MK and DDD sorta play similarly, on the bare surface. They wait for opportunities to punish.
MK does it with sheer speed and amazing frame data, while Dedede does it via his superior range on most of his options.
Those two ways of playing, imo, don't hold up when put against each other. MK is able to stay out of our range while still being able to punish our options. Again, it's the same reason characters like Falcon and Sonic are scary.
Unlike those two, however, MK can straight up KO you off a punish. And unlike Falcon specifically, you can't gimp MK.

The Mr R video really supports our claim, a 3 week MK 2 stocked a D3 user who's been using him longer than Mr R has with MK. Unknown(using pre patch mk in that vid) who's pretty below average beat Jdawg who imo is the better player overall, don't see how this MU is even. If you were doing the '+0,+1' formula I'd say its +2 in MKs favor.
I'm not really disagreeing but more just pointing out that it's not really that fair just 'cause Ramin's fundamentals are as good as they are. We've also done enough friendlies with each other to the point that he most likely knows Dedede pretty dang well, where as I don't know how well Chazo knows MK.
His MK isn't that experienced in terms of actually playing in bracket (IE he's still done hours of friendlies with MK with amazing players), but it doesn't matter as much as you'd think when he's as good as he is.
Like I'm not really disagreeing I'm more just saying to take with a bit of salt just 'cause, like, it's Ramin lol. He's a much better player, no offense to my brah Chazo.

D3 just isn't a threat competitively to really care at this point, I do not think its 65:35 but at worst its even if that makes you feel better.
Please avoid posts like this.
If you want to dismiss the whole character and having discussion in the first place, don't do it here.
Continuing this will result in infractions. That goes for Cook as well.

Edit: I have no idea if there's a vote system here but my first ratio hasn't changed.
Noted~

slavoslav

Smash Cadet
Okay so I took @ warionumbah2 warionumbah2 up on his offer and we played a whopping 40 games (I counted!) of this particular MU. He did admit that I am probably the better player but here are my thoughts:

This MU is fun because it's one of the few MUs where Dedede's gameplan actually works somewhat. Dedede can be very liberal with Gordos here which is a huge deal. And no, Metaknight can't reflect them reliably. Reflecting Gordos with close-range moves is risky and requires a lot of precision. MK's best option is probably nair but that move has so little range that it often just trades with Gordos, and a good Dedede is not going to spam Gordos from a distance where they can be reflected back at him in the first place. Dedede can control space really well in this MU which feels good man.
MK and Dedede can gimp each other thanks to their great off-stage game but it's difficult and risky for both characters due to their great off-stage game lol. Probably not worth the effort for either party most of the time lol but being a little reckless can pay off occasionally.
MK can capitalize on DDD's mistakes really, really well. However, getting dash-attacked, while super-scary, is not a death sentence. The MK player has to be extremely precise in order to pull off a kill off a single DA/grab. It can happen, it rarely does happen but it's not nearly as easy or common as MK mains make it out to be ("lol ur ded if we DA u at 40%"). DI is still a thing and getting the confirm requires utmost precision from the MK player. It is true, however, that rage doesn't stop his up-air strings. It only makes his shuttle loop scarier. Dedede benefits a lot from the mechanic too though. If MK fails to get his kill confirm or an early gimp Dedede can rack up massive amounts of rage and kill MK at fraudulent %.
MK has a ton of recovery options but he's not completely immune to Dedede's Gordo ledge-trap shenanigans. His down-b is good and can catch a D3 throwing a Gordo off the ledge off-guard but it can be baited out and it's relatively easy to punish.
Also Inhale is strong in this MU because MK can't punish it on whiff nearly as well as other characters.

It's a super-volatile MU imo, reminiscent of the DDD - Falcon MU. It feels very even but at this point in the meta I want DDD to have the worst official MU spread in the game so let's give this a 60:40 for Edgy Armor Kirby :4metaknight: because frankly, MK has the theory on his side. I'm convinced it's not worse than 60:40 though. :4dedede:

Flawed

Smash Apprentice
NNID
TheFlawedOne
I'm thoroughly convinced that its another one of our 60:40s.

Up air is real guys... I've felt it. Slav, I know you are pretty good, but offline is a different story.

The matchup can be 50-50 ONLY if the MK doesn't know the matchup really well. MK can juggle you or hit you up once and wait for you to land- and then punish until you reset to the ledge.

Also MK can use tornado on inhale- on reaction.

My experience comes from a player who mained D3 before he dropped him completely for MK, Rosalina. I'm assuming its because of that knowledge he was able to play to D3's weaknesses so well.

Axel311

Smash Ace
NNID
axel311
Ok some of the arguments and other stuff I've watched and read about Meta Knight this week have convinced me that it's slightly in his favor. I changed my original post to 60-40 Meta Knight. I don't think it's worse than that though.

Last edited:

Amadeus9

Smash Ace
NNID
Amadeuswololo
I've changed my mind and revert my score to 60-40 after being convinced by slav.

D3UberD3

Smash Cadet
I personally give this a :4metaknight:6-4:4dedede: and here is why.

MK controls the neutral via his speed and mixture of dash attack and grab(very basic but both options are solid moves). The DDD's reaction will be tested. MK can juggle dedede into the higher % so it can go downhill quick if the DDD is not doing well.

DDD shines when he has rage and when he is outside of x into up b setups because at that point in the matchup MK will be fishing for kills and DDD is good against that sort of mentality.

like slav said MK has issues against gordos, but I would still use them conservatively because he is so fast

abuse the ledge, abuse shield grab and if you can get him above you/in a low % dthrow combo that is best for solidifying a lead(make him approach)

Jdawg26

Smash Apprentice
Late reply, I don't have a lot of time to type: MK wins this MU 6:4.

-Don't get grabbed or dash attacked at 20-60% or you die. Getting grabbed is less bad, but not by much.
-Recover low.
- MK falls kind of fast, so dthrow->uair may actually kill him if we have rage depending on the stage.
- MK rarely sweetspots the ledge on the first loop of his up-b, so it's possible to hit him out of it. The hitbox on the first loop is kind of big though.

Best of luck~

shrooby

BRoomer
NNID
shrooby
3DS FC
2320-6364-8294
MK is done.
:4metaknight: 60:40 :4dedede:

Detailed, thought-out discussion, guys. Happy to see it~

Now it's time for the Princess.
No, not that one. Or that one.
Discuss! :4peach:

NNID
UncleCubone
3DS FC
3539-9630-7110
(zomg JTC actually writing something instead of just saying he's going to is the twilight zone)

Played this MU a bunch with Samsora and Captain Zack (who beat Seagull Joe in CEO Winner's pools... even though he lost to him in Loser's Finals).

This MU is kind of reminiscent of the :4falcon: MU. :4peach: rarely has any real surprises that will catch you off-guard. The main difference is the Peach is just way better at making D3 cry than Cfalc is, making it that much harder.

You never really want to challenge Peach if she's floating in the air, and you're on the ground. A good player will position themselves just so so that hitting them is hard and very telegraphed. You will be punished. Keep your distance, and just don't get hit. My main idea to pass on is to wait until Peach loses her float and has to jump back down on the ground. You'll need to immediately close in and go for a punish (preferably a grab, but you'll need to mix it up, obviously.). If you come come/SH up and do an Inhale... Maybe B-reverse it (fake a Bair) that would probably fool them a few times... Just an idea.

In the neutral, you'll really really need to get good at perfectshielding. Turnips are spammable against us, and Mr. Saturns are waaaaayyy more common than they should be... Which is imo the scariest thing this game has ever thrown at me. You can perfectshield everything Peach can throw at you, and you'll definitely need to.
Let me reiterate, you WILL NEED TO PERFECT SHIELD if you want to win.
On the point of turnips, they solidly beat gordo. In fact, just about everything Peach has does. In other words, use gordos very sparingly here.

Also, as usual, we outrange in the air, and offstage. Space really well, and you might be able to beat her out on some moves. Be careful though, both Fair and Bair kill super reliably. Also, never challenge her from directly above. Peach's UpB has insane disjointed priority, and can kill. You'll never win. It also has a hitbox as she's floating down, if you didn't know. Just don't challenge it.

Stage-wise... try to stay away from consistent platforms. Delfino is the absolute worst place to go here. Never ever go Delfino.
Smashville is OK as usual. FD and DH are alright too. I'm not too sure if T&C is good or bad, so eh. Castle Siege seems good.

As usual, if I'm wrong on any of this (and I probably am), please let me know and correct as necessary. Just don't call me names. :''(

D3UberD3

Smash Cadet
I personally view this as a :4dedede:50:50:4peach:.

Peach controls the neutral from the get go, because turnips hit gordos back. Peach is also capable of avoiding our low to the ground tilts with float. DDD is so tall it is super easy to catch him with Peach dair into combo. DDD's heavy weight also makes him susceptible to more damaging combos.

This being said if the DDD is an adept at powershielding her turnips and landing aerials it becomes a lot easier. Peach will be floating a lot, but every Peach landing is punishable. Peach's air di is one of the easiest to chase and punish. If you know the Peach is going to float punish it with a falling bair. Baiting with DDD's multiple floats is a must in this mu for sure. Peach gets crippled heavily when she gets down thrown due to her floaty nature(she will get wrecked early by combos and later on by follow ups).

tips for this matchup
-avoid walk off stages
-limit gordo use to the ledge and sparingly on stage when she does a turnip pluck
-bair trounces her whole aerial game in air to air situations
-mixup between ground and aerial gameplay to mess up her rhythm

and finally the main reason this is even is actually weight differentials

being heavy is a saving grace in this matchup and Peach isn't really capable of keeping DDD out

also dont di the fair wrong or you will die at like 80 lol

KeithTheGeek

Smash Ace
NNID
bkeith
3DS FC
5026-4475-8239
Peach controls the area that Dedede wants to be in really well, particularly when she's floating. As the others have mentioned you can't really challenge a floating Peach. I don't really think Dedede can beat Peach in the air. Our bair has range and power but all of Peach's aerials have decent speed, disjoint, and some of them (particularly Uair and Dair) last a while.

We're going to want to bait out Peach's stuff, mixing up when we jump or use Gordo. I think we might want to stay grounded for the most part, just so that we are able to appropriately punish any mistakes she makes and be prepared to deflect any Gordos sent our way, if you do throw them out.

I don't have much else input-wise on this match-up, or any thoughts on which character has the advantage here. I've rarely played the match-up but I do know we generally just have to respect the space Peach controls. Thankfully she's kinda slow and floaty so it's easier on us when we do move in for the punish.

shrooby

BRoomer
NNID
shrooby
3DS FC
2320-6364-8294
Baiting, yes, that's an important thing.
DDD is actually in a good spot compared to most of the cast 'cause ftilt has enough range (and transcendent priority) to punish Peach's landings (even fair, with its hitbox the size of Alaska), if you're able to read/bait them out.
That becomes a little more difficult when she has a turnip in-hand 'cause then she can punish spaced ftilts, but when she's floating without a turnip, so long as you know what she can do out of float, and know how her aerials work, well, she has to land eventually. (And DDD beats Peach on the ground imo.)
The issue is that DDD is playing that game the whole time (which usually only results in one or two hits off of each punish), while Peach usually gets more off of each hit/grab. Which, in end, is what skews the MU to Peach's side, however slight it might do so. That in-tandem with turnips making our game, not that much more difficult, but more annoying since you just have to respect it. Peach in general gets more out of advantageous states than D3 does.
Also never be under Peach when she's floating. Just get out of there and wait in ftilt range.
Dair is ridiculously good, can be spammed, is hard to punish when below, and shield pokes. When Peach is floating above you spamming dair on your shield, DDD's only options are to roll away, which good Peach players know is what most players will go for and will try to cover those options.

Since we only had one ratio given, I won't label it as any sort of final rating being come to. That would be misleading. (More than ratios already are, that is.)

Anyway, time for an MU that I'm sure everyone is familiar with, right? Not uncommon at all.
Pac-Man!
Discuss! :4pacman:

KeithTheGeek

Smash Ace
NNID
bkeith
3DS FC
5026-4475-8239
...Believe it or not, I actually have a bit of experience with this match-up!

So, Pac-man. If it wasn't for his fruits and hydrant, I think we would absolutely destroy this character. His range and kill potential is kinda pitiful, and not only does he have a bad grab, he gets basically nothing off of it. I definitely feel like we beat Pac-man up close, and his movement speed is poor so it can be hard for him to deal with us when we do get in.

That said...it can be difficult to actually get in on Pac. Fruit can cover a good amount of space, which can somewhat cover our grounded options. The hydrant is dangerous, both when it's flying in our direction and simply sitting on the ground. The water can push us into Pac-man leading into some potential combos. He can also knock away the hydrant with fruit, leading to us having to deal with two simultaneous projectiles with different arcs.

I actually don't think the hydrant is that hard to power shield. For most of the lower charge fruit, you can simply shield them and then jump and press A/Z to grab them after they bounce off your shield. I can do this consistently with Cherries, Strawberries, Oranges, and Melons. Apples are more difficult to grab, the Galaga ships I believe pass through your shield (I would have to check) but they move fairly slowly so you could still probably grab them out of a dodge. Keys, however, move quickly and don't bounce off shields. You can still grab them, but it's significantly more difficult.

The bell is interesting and covers a fairly steep arc. It goes up, and then drops down almost immediately. It's possible to grab these as well, but it bounces a bit after connecting with the ground and while bouncing it maintains the paralysing hitbox. Pac is able to throw this and regrab them if he's quick enough, and use it to pressure you.

Be careful about standing on the hydrant, if the hydrant is knocked away while you're on it you get put into an air state and will ALWAYS get hit by it. Even if you are shielding, once you get put into the air state you are put out of shield and there simply isn't enough time to air dodge. However, you can abuse this against Pac as well if he is caught standing on top of it.

Dedede has a fairly easy time knocking the hydrant away if you get the opportunity. Avoid using ftilt and your rapid jab on it, you'll only make it easier for Pac to send it in your face while you deal with the cool down of these attacks. A couple of dtilts, your down smash, bair, and probably fair should all be enough to send it flying. Gordo can knock it away if you get it to bounce off of it twice, but that's kinda risky because if he hits it first suddenly you have both a Gordo and a hydrant coming your way.

Off-stage, Pac's recovery isn't...terrible, per se, but it's super telegraphed. If you're close enough you can stop his side b early by whacking the power pellet. If not, you can watch where he's aiming it and try to get into position. It does have super armor after he eats the pellet (but not before!) but he has a large amount of recovery frames afterwards.

His up b is interesting. He has a total of 3 bounces off of it, if he or another character lands on it the 4th time it puts them into the special fall state. Obviously, if he's forced to recover low you can abuse this by waiting out the first 2 bounces and then dropping onto the trampoline to steal his last bounce. He's also left pretty wide open while bouncing, so you could probably secure a stage spike by catching him with a bair while he's going up. Just be a little careful because he does have an active hitbox when moving upwards. He can also use his up b to set "traps" on the stage, and it seems like it could be a fast OoS option.

Overall, Pac's gameplan is to control the stage with his fruit, hydrant, and trampoline, and he's going to try to push you into bad situations where he can just smack you around. To be perfectly clear, I do think Pac-man can abuse Dedede quite a bit simply because of our size and weight. That also happens to cause him a lot of headache when it comes to killing Dedede though. We can live longer and kill faster than Pac-man, and we can use his tools against him. As long as you're holding onto a fruit, he can't pull out another. I've used a technique I picked up as ROB where I'll Z-drop an item and regrab it with an aerial (typically nair, fair or bair should work for this purpose as well) so that I'm not helpless while holding onto an item.

I can't see this match-up being too bad for Dedede, honestly speaking. I think at worst it gets to be about 50-50, or maaaybe 55-45 Pac's favor, but my gut feeling is that Dedede tends to have the advantage in this match-up. We just have to play patiently and keep up the pressure on Pac-man.

Maybe 55-45 Dedede's favor? It could be higher than that, but I'd like to hear from other players on this match-up.

Axel311

Smash Ace
NNID
axel311
In my view, no way this one could be in Dedede's favor. If we're talking the highest level of play - facing Abadango's Pacman, I don't see how any Dedede player won't have major issues getting zoned out badly. Pac wins neutral here...hard. Go watch any of Abadango's Pacman videos on youtube and you'll see just how well a good Pacman can zone other characters out.

Dedede will be forced to approach, and obviously will have major issues doing so. A combination of fruits and hydrants make it very difficult.

Off stage is another issue for Dedede. Dedede's vertical recovery is extremely prone to getting gimped with hydrant. Hydrant also makes it tough for pac to get juggled with upairs. We can also sort of gimp Pac's recovery too though. But not near as well as he can gimp ours.

Gordos are very meh in this matchup. For spacing they're tough to use since anytime Pacman is in the air above a gordo he can drop a hydrant on it to reflect it.

On the plus side, Pac's grab is bad and his upclose game isn't all that impressive so if you get in you should be able to do some work. He doesn't have much of a combo game so he can't combo Dedede for days which is good.

Definitely want to approach cautiously.

Fortunately this matchup is not that common, not many people from my experience main Dedede or Pacman so the two meeting in a tourney is a rare event for sure. I'm going to preface my rating by saying I haven't played that many good Pacs, so I don't have the best experience here. But I'd venture the matchup is something like -

:4pacman:60 :40:4dedede:

A little worse on flat stages and a little better on platform stages. In my opinion ban FD and Duck Hunt stages immediately and always. They give Pac so much space to utilize fruits and hydrant. Plus platforms really mess with Pac's hydrant usage and makes it easier to approach so I think I'd try to go battlefield or dreamland here.

Last edited:

KeithTheGeek

Smash Ace
NNID
bkeith
3DS FC
5026-4475-8239
I'm aware Abadango is a good player but...that's Abadango. He's not only one of the best Pac-mains, he's one of the best players in the world period. I'm not saying that Pac-man can't zone Dedede out, I actually would agree that he can, but Pac-man also can't do it THAT effectively. At least, not compared to some of the characters that really do give Dedede a hard time.

EDIT: For clarification's sake, I don't mean that Pac-man can't have a positive match-up over Dedede, but I'm not sure we actually have many players on the caliber of Abadango.

The thing about the fruit is that it's easy to catch the vast majority of them and hold onto them. The Pac-man player isn't always going to be chucking them directly at you, but if you get a fruit in your hands it limits their options. You can drop them and regrab them with an aerial as well, so while you do have some limited options yourself you still have access to some of Dedede's best attacks.

Off stage is another issue for Dedede. Dedede's vertical recovery is extremely prone to getting gimped with hydrant. Hydrant also makes it tough for pac to get juggled with upairs.
If you're prone to getting shoved away by the hydrant's water, you should probably be changing how you recover. You could try recovering higher/lower for example. As far as the hydrant stopping juggling, are you talking about him dropping it on top of Dedede? Because our uair will hit through the hydrant and actually make it so that it can't damage us on the way down. And we have enough range on the hammer to poke through the hydrant and continue hitting Pac-man.

Now, the hydrant does prove problematic as far as approaching it...but really, you can shield it on reaction most of the time. And he has to wait several seconds after it gets sent away before he can set up another one. If you catch the fruit and the hydrant is currently on cooldown, Pac-man has nothing to threaten you with from a distance.

Either way I think it's NOT 60:40. As I said above, I can see it being roughly even or maybe 55:45 Pac-man's favor, but I feel Dedede can do more in this match-up than we might be giving him credit for.

Anyways....

This is just a question for Dedede players in general, not necessarily focused on just Pac-man here: how comfortable are you guys with using items in your game? Understanding how item mechanics work is a worthwhile skill to have, and it's relevant to Pac, Peach, ROB, Villager, Robin, Diddy, and probably more... I'm fairly comfortable with using items as I secondary ROB, so perhaps that colors my perspective on these match-ups a bit. I think it may be worth everyone's time to try out some of these characters to get a feel for how their items work. Just IMO, of course.

Last edited:

Axel311

Smash Ace
NNID
axel311
I'm aware Abadango is a good player but...that's Abadango. He's not only one of the best Pac-mains, he's one of the best players in the world period. I'm not saying that Pac-man can't zone Dedede out, I actually would agree that he can, but Pac-man also can't do it THAT effectively. At least, not compared to some of the characters that really do give Dedede a hard time.

EDIT: For clarification's sake, I don't mean that Pac-man can't have a positive match-up over Dedede, but I'm not sure we actually have many players on the caliber of Abadango.
I don't think that's relevant. To me, when discussing matchups it's always at the top skill levels. And as time goes on other dedicated Pac mains will improve and reach Abadango's current level of Pac play.

The thing about the fruit is that it's easy to catch the vast majority of them and hold onto them. The Pac-man player isn't always going to be chucking them directly at you, but if you get a fruit in your hands it limits their options. You can drop them and regrab them with an aerial as well, so while you do have some limited options yourself you still have access to some of Dedede's best attacks.
Yeah catching definitely helps but you're not going to be able to catch most of them. And it's not like catching every so often completely shuts down his fruit game. And the key is insanely difficult to catch because it's so fast.

If you're prone to getting shoved away by the hydrant's water, you should probably be changing how you recover. You could try recovering higher/lower for example. As far as the hydrant stopping juggling, are you talking about him dropping it on top of Dedede? Because our uair will hit through the hydrant and actually make it so that it can't damage us on the way down. And we have enough range on the hammer to poke through the hydrant and continue hitting Pac-man.

Now, the hydrant does prove problematic as far as approaching it...but really, you can shield it on reaction most of the time. And he has to wait several seconds after it gets sent away before he can set up another one. If you catch the fruit and the hydrant is currently on cooldown, Pac-man has nothing to threaten you with from a distance.
I'm referring to Pac's ability to drop it from above off stage while we're recovering, I'm not talking about the water.

Either way I think it's NOT 60:40. As I said above, I can see it being roughly even or maybe 55:45 Pac-man's favor, but I feel Dedede can do more in this match-up than we might be giving him credit for.
Bottom line I think this has to be in Pac's favor since he wins neutral pretty hard with his zoning game and we're forced to approach. He preys well on one of Dedede's biggest weakness, approaching.

Last edited:

KeithTheGeek

Smash Ace
NNID
bkeith
3DS FC
5026-4475-8239
Okay, I see what you're talking about. I think my point on the hydrant still stands actually - uair completely stuffs it out. It's true that it isn't always going to be a viable option when recovering, but Dedede has multiple jumps and can afford to expend a few to mix up his recovery options.

Catching the key is difficult but it's not the only item he's actually going to be using. Each of the fruit have a different purpose and some are better for certain situations than others.

IDK though, whenever I've played against Pac-man, even good Pac-man players, I've never felt I was being held back my character, just getting outplayed. I can say I've played other against other characters capable of walling Dedede out and abusing his bad aspects and feel like Dedede isn't capable of dealing with those characters. I'm talking about like ZSS, Fox, Duck Hunt.

And I still don't think there's really a single Dedede player that's on an equivalent skill level to Abadango, so I think going by that logic Dedede will lose anyways. Which, imo, shouldn't be the focus of the match-up discussion. Sure if Abadango was to some reason come to Smashboards and post in this thread, his opinion would carry more weight. But I'm talking about specific things that come up in the match-up and how I've learned to work with them. I could very well be wrong but I don't think Pac-man can work Dedede as effectively as other zoning characters, just by the nature of how his projectiles work.

It's going to take a while but Dedede can get in, and Pac-man can't quite get characters out of his face that easily, nor does he have the mobility to really run away. Dedede also has a clear advantage over an off-stage Pac-man. Due to his floaty nature Pac is also not that hard to juggle, even when taking the hydrant into account.

Nu~

Smash Dreamer
U.S., Maryland (Eastern Time, UTC - 5hrs)
NNID
EquinoXYZ
This matchup is definitely in our favor by a considerable amount.

Dedede already has big trouble approaching so hydrants and trampolines only make it harder for him to get in and do what he wants. As a bonus, whatever option you choose to launch the hydrant, when we are sitting near it, can be punished due to your endlag.

Now what you say about Pacman not being able to zone the same way as other zoners, you are right. Pac-Man's item game isn't spammable. However, we can zone you out in more ways than just chucking things at you. We can easily set up traps such as trampoline launched hydrants that give us time to charge up to any fruit, and we can easily get time to recatch our fruit.

A Pac-Man should also always follow up on his items. A lone launched hydrant isn't enough, so what Pac-Men will want to do is launch them at you with Fair so that we can run behind them and react to whatever defensive option you choose to avoid the hydrant. We can do the same with DITCIT tossed melons and galaxians. A pacman shouldn't let you catch his fruit that easily because he shouldn't allow his fruit to do the zoning for him. They simply can't be spammed fast enough. Ideally, Pac-Man shouldn't be spamming any fruit in long range outside of the key. The rest are too slow to be used to zone at a distance that far away unless they are being thrown in combination with a hydrant. Pac should be using fruit in mid range to get follow ups and recatches. A recaught fruit can't be caught by the opponent so that's essentially free pressure once we have a fruit in hand. Z drop combos just make it all the more deadly.

Offstage, Pac-Man's recovery isn't all that telegraphed when you consider his ability to air stall with hydrant dropping and a way to extend his jump by charging Bonus Fruit. Pacman should never fully charge his side B anyway since:
A.) he rarely needs to
B.) if we use it quickly, the opponent can't punish it in time unless they were already on top of us.

Dedede can pressure us offstage with big disjoints, but he definitely doesn't beat us cleanly in that area. On the other hand, we can make dedede's life hell on the ledge by placing a trampoline over it. This eliminates all of dedede's get up options outside of jumping which leaves him in a perfect spot to get Bair'd or hit with a bell whenever he jumps or decides I sit in the ledge. We can even launch a hydrant with jab on the ledge with the trampoline there to force you into 13% of pain no matter what option you choose to get up. Or just deny you acces to the ledge altogether by tossing a melon in front of it, but that takes a little more time unless we already have a melon on deck.

Also, I'm not sure where this "Pac-Man has bad kill power" myth is coming from considering we have a kill confirm on you starting at 80% with dash attack-> bell-> side B from the center of the stage. Bell shenanigans and z drop kill set ups in general make our kill potential very threatening. You outrange us, but our frame data is miles ahead of yours with sub 10~ frame moves across the board (besides smashes). It's not exactly hard to get people off of us with the existence of frame 1 trampolines and frame 3 nairs to escape anything that isn't guaranteed. As for running away, our ground aoeed may only be average, but our air mobility is pretty good allowing for easy weaving and aerial escapes.

I'm not sure how this matchup isn't a +2 for us considering we make it incredibly hard for you to approach since your mobility is so bad, force you to take damage whenever you touch the ledge,
and build damage on you incredibly well considering your hurtbox.

Your lack of ways to get through easily allows Pac-Man to gather tools...which is exactly what Pac-Man wants; to gather enough tools to handle the situation he's up against.

KeithTheGeek

Smash Ace
NNID
bkeith
3DS FC
5026-4475-8239
I'm still not entirely convinced it's that much in Pac-man's favor, but I'll concede that he does have the advantage in the match-up. It's good to have some concrete information and counter-points to what I was saying rather than just "he can zone Dedede out and drop hydrants on him while he's recovering." No offense meant @ Axel311 Axel311 but I don't think you were articulating your point very well.

Are you positive Pac kills Dedede that early though? Because Dedede is really heavy, it's sorta his thing, and he also has a fairly good recovery.

To be honest there's not anything in there I'm prepared to refute, though I'm still inclined to believe Dedede should have the advantage over Pac-man when he's off the stage.

Axel311

Smash Ace
NNID
axel311
I'm not sure how this matchup isn't a +2 for us considering we make it incredibly hard for you to approach since your mobility is so bad, force you to take damage whenever you touch the ledge,
and build damage on you incredibly well considering your hurtbox.

Your lack of ways to get through easily allows Pac-Man to gather tools...which is exactly what Pac-Man wants; to gather enough tools to handle the situation he's up against.
Depends on the stage - stage makes a huge difference in this matchup. I think you're right this is probably considerably in Pac's favor on FD. But on BF or Dreamland, your ability to zone out Dedede is significantly affected because you can't use hydrant near as effectively. I think it's something like even or very slightly in Pac's favor on Dreamland/BF, and heavily in his favor on FD which is why I gave it an overall 60:40 rating.

Pac's lack of a great combo game and bad grab is also what keeps this matchup from being too heavily in Pac's favor.

drop hydrants on him while he's recovering." No offense meant @ Axel311 Axel311 but I don't think you were articulating your point very well.

Are you positive Pac kills Dedede that early though? Because Dedede is really heavy, it's sorta his thing, and he also has a fairly good recovery.

To be honest there's not anything in there I'm prepared to refute, though I'm still inclined to believe Dedede should have the advantage over Pac-man when he's off the stage.
I'll refute my hydrant point. Did some testing and it's not as strong offstage as I thought. Dedede's multiple jumps should see him through from getting gimped too often. Dedede is stronger off stage than I'm giving him credit for in previous posts. I don't think it makes much difference in the overall rating of the matchup though. The real issue is getting in on Pac on stage.

Last edited by a moderator:

KeithTheGeek

Smash Ace
NNID
bkeith
3DS FC
5026-4475-8239
I'll admit I was probably relying too much on my personal experiences, since I have a friend that mains Pac-man, another that used to main him early on, and I've played a couple of good ones online. One in particular bodied me, but I never felt it was because I was Dedede and more just because I was getting outplayed.

Nu~

Smash Dreamer
U.S., Maryland (Eastern Time, UTC - 5hrs)
NNID
EquinoXYZ
Depends on the stage - stage makes a huge difference in this matchup. I think you're right this is probably considerably in Pac's favor on FD. But on BF or Dreamland, your ability to zone out Dedede is significantly affected because you can't use hydrant near as effectively. I think it's something like even or very slightly in Pac's favor on Dreamland/BF, and heavily in his favor on FD which is why I gave it an overall 60:40 rating.

Pac's lack of a great combo game and bad grab is also what keeps this matchup from being too heavily in Pac's favor.
It depends,
The hydrant can still be used proficiently since we have a glitch that lets us drop hydrants through platforms on cue. We can also use utilt, inky (usmash), or z dropped apples to send the hydrant through all platform levels of battlefield/dreamland. If anything, galaxians become a little less effective since they drop on platforms mid-rotation.

I agree about the bad grab, but trampoline remedies this somewhat by being able to ignore shields.
As for bad combo game...ehhh

If we weren't taking fruit into account then sure. Utilt -> utilt, Fair -> Nair, FF uair-> ftilt are some o the few combos we have without fruit. However, in combination with galaxians and bell, our combo game gets rather deadly.

The best way I can some it up quickly is that Dee (an undiscovered pacman genius) got first in a SHI-G gaming tourney with solo Pac-Man and pulled off some of the craziest combos I've ever seen with galaxian. He 0-death'd taranito with one galaxian hit confirm and racked up 41% consistently with galaxian combos. Bell can do the same but is mostly for combos that lead into stock ending situations. Z drop combos are also reliable and dangerous with drop key + Nair doing a nice 25% guaranteed.

You can watch the video on SHI-Gaming's channel right now on twitch. It's the most recent stream.

http://youtu.be/vZlISbVPR5I
Here is another example of a pacman main showing what galaxian can do to opponents off if a single hit.

Axel311

Smash Ace
NNID
axel311
It depends,
The hydrant can still be used proficiently since we have a glitch that lets us drop hydrants through platforms on cue. We can also use utilt, inky (usmash), or z dropped apples to send the hydrant through all platform levels of battlefield/dreamland. If anything, galaxians become a little less effective since they drop on platforms mid-rotation.

I agree about the bad grab, but trampoline remedies this somewhat by being able to ignore shields.
As for bad combo game...ehhh

If we weren't taking fruit into account then sure. Utilt -> utilt, Fair -> Nair, FF uair-> ftilt are some o the few combos we have without fruit. However, in combination with galaxians and bell, our combo game gets rather deadly.

The best way I can some it up quickly is that Dee (an undiscovered pacman genius) got first in a SHI-G gaming tourney with solo Pac-Man and pulled off some of the craziest combos I've ever seen with galaxian. He 0-death'd taranito with one galaxian hit confirm and racked up 41% consistently with galaxian combos. Bell can do the same but is mostly for combos that lead into stock ending situations. Z drop combos are also reliable and dangerous with drop key + Nair doing a nice 25% guaranteed.

You can watch the video on SHI-Gaming's channel right now on twitch. It's the most recent stream.

http://youtu.be/vZlISbVPR5I
Here is another example of a pacman main showing what galaxian can do to opponents off if a single hit.
I'm not saying you can't get combos with Pac, but his combo game just isn't as strong as other top tiers - he can't abuse Dedede's huge hitbox near as well as characters like :4luigi::4mario::4zss: can. Correct me if I'm wrong, but in that video it appears that combo only worked because the Dedede did an awful job of DI'ing. So yes Pac has some combos, but Dedede can do a pretty good job of mitigating the damage with correct DI.

Last edited:
Top Bottom