• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official (Read OP) DeDeDe Tour! Community MU Analysis

Smooth Criminal

Da Cheef
NNID
boundless_light
And it takes just a read at about 80-100% and with a fresh kill move from D3 to obliterate Olimar.

I fail to see what you're trying to say here.

Smooth Criminal

shrooby

Let me know when I'm supposed to laugh, okay?
BRoomer
NNID
shrooby
3DS FC
2320-6364-8294
On Olimar...

I've noticed one or two people note Olimar's small frame/light weight making him easier to kill.
Yes, that's true, he dies at earlier percents, but the fact that he's small is very important. It limits grounded b-air kills, because Olimar's frame is so low to the ground.
So, yeah, killing Olimar earlier is nice, but his small size also makes actually landing one of our best KO moves difficult, which isn't good.
This makes down-smash reads generally the best way to KO Oli. Read a roll or spotdodge somewhere. Classic force rolls off the ledge traps and punish. Or also forcing him into the air and hitting with bair (which is much easier to hit with in that situation I think ti goes without saying.)

The main thing about this MU is this: Dedede has trouble getting in.
And just about everyone made note of that, which is good, because it's ridiculously important and is basically why this MU is so bad.
Olimar's spacing tools are very difficult for Dedede to deal with. Staying out of Olimar's range is very hard when he has Pikmin Toss to pressure you from afar. And Olimar's close range tools are very effective against Dedede. (Particularly f-smash in tandem with his grab)
The best course of action is to try and work your way in slowly until you're in a position to potentially force Omar into the air, because that's where Dedede beats him. (Superior range and priority, booooys)
Gordo comes into to play here in the best way, as a way to pressure Olimar's landings and make him either airdodge through it (punish easily), try to reflect it (generally not a good option in many scenarios) or just use up his double jump to get away from it. And the first and last options are awesome for us.
Generally, yes, forcing Olimar into the air is Dedede's best bet and what you should be aiming for. However being Dedede being in the air with Omar on the ground isn't necessarily bad.
Dedede can stall a lot in that weird range that Olimar would've used up-B in Brawl to hit you with. (In the air, 45 degree angle from Olimar.) It's hard for Olimar to punish this without committing to something that can be punished. (Dedede's nair actually goes through up-smash and upair fyi). Just don't rely on this or they'll catch on and wait you out.

That said, though, Omar still wins this hard. Simply because the situations where Dedede would have the advantage (which he certainly has very much so) are very hard to get to.
There's clear advantageous situations we have which are actually pretty good, but we still lose pretty bad imo.

Some last few things to note that I think Dededes should just be aware of going into this MU:
- As previously mentioned, Dedede's nair beats upair and upsmash. Pikmin in general have pretty low priority. (Something I learned while doing some friendlies with @RichBrown )
- It's very important to keep an eye on the Pikmin Olimar has. If he has a Purple, for example, be very wary about using Gordo. Otherwise Gordo is a solid option sometimes since Olimar's projectile won't reflect it. If you're at high percent and he has a Blue, don't get grabbed like for real.
- Jab-jab-grab is a thing. And getting grabbed in this MU is terrible. So be very careful when you're close to him and, in general, try to stay out of jab range unless you're confident in whatever you're doing. (Harder to avoid his grab range altogether lol)
- Olimar's pivot-grab is really good so just like be prepared for it. Running away and pivot grabbing is a classic strat.
Do not try to hit Pikmin off you if you're near Omar, He will punish you for committing to something to get them off. (Also classic strat)
- On that note, though, if you're trying to get them off (SAFELY), n-air is the best since many of Dedede's other hitboxes don't really hit inside him like nair does.

EDIT:

Okay so Oli Omar is done
:4olimar: 60:40 :4dedede:

Changed the schedule a bit to reflect actual current threats so hope everyone's fine with that. It was so outdated anyway like Game & Watch and Kirby at the bottom whaaaaat?

Anyway, now is time for Raaaaabin.
tfw an MU wasn't that bad two weeks ago and now it's actually bad.
I'm totally not jealous what are you saying?
Discuss! :4robinf:

Last edited:

Gamegenie222

Space Pheasant Dragon Tactician
NNID
Gamegenie222
3DS FC
3411-1825-3363
Thunder, elthunder damage increase on top of fair and up throw increase and Elthunder and Arcthunder cooldown buff and new down throw and LS Up smash hitox increase that is all.

Respect thy Archthunder. I'll try to post more later.

Last edited:

MuddyMan

Smash Rookie
NNID
MuddyMan
The robin matchup is not good for D3 at all imo. between all his projectiles he really can camp us out and when one of his specials rune out now he has throw combos combined with the levin sword and its not good for us. i know this may seem harsh and a little overkill but 70:30 in favor of robin.

Smooth Criminal

Da Cheef
NNID
boundless_light
*snaps his fingers.* This MU is pretty bad. I got routinely bodied by my teammate, Raziek, during some warm-up sessions prior to EVO.

@ Raziek Raziek

Care to elaborate, bud? I mean, I can wax on about it...but you had a very concise explanation that I can't recall right now.

Smooth Criminal

Last edited:

Raziek

Charging Limit All Day
NNID
Raziek
3DS FC
3866-8131-5247
Alright, so basically the matchup is SUPER terrible for Dedede.

Preface: My experience in this match-up comes from a combined 4 hours or so with @ shrooby shrooby and @ Smooth Criminal Smooth Criminal .

It all comes down to one word. ARCFIRE!

Arcfire completely defines this matchup. Because Dedede's mobility is so bad, Arcfire is literally an all-purpose 'No.' button. You can throw it out in virtually ANY situation and it will be the correct decision, or at least tactically passable. Dedede simply cannot approach through it on the ground (he's too wide) and if he tries to jump over it, he's completely free to Robin jumping up and swinging a Fair (followed by Falling Nair) at him.

Boxing in close to mid-range with Dedede is pretty simple. If you're far enough away, you Arcfire. If you're close, you jab. Dedede is pretty free to either variant of jab, though he sometimes pops out of Wind Jab due to his floatiness, should you be using it at as an anti-air.

Air-to-air Dedede simply cannot compete with Fair/Uair. They have way too much disjoint for him to deal with due to his slow start-up and poor arc on Fair, and abysmal hitbox size on Nair. His Bair is passable, but quite slow and telegraphed, making it unreliable in general.

About the only time Dedede actually doesn't feel like his life is complete suffering is if he has Robin off-stage. Due to her lack of defense-oriented hitboxes on Elwind, she's actually pretty easy to edge-guard IF you can steal her double-jump. If she can hold that, she's fine and able to swat D3 away pretty easily with Fair or Uair. Unfortunately for Dedede, this aspect of the MU got even worse with patch 1.1, as Robin received significantly buffed control over her Elwind recovery in terms of her horizontal movement and ability to weave with it.

If Robin gets D3 offstage, you basically just lost the stock. Put down your controller, she's going to put Arcfire on the ledge and it will cover literally every option Dedede has. Her Levin sword aerials also mean D3's normally high survivability is significantly weakened, especially with the 1.1 damage buff to Fair. D3 is also vulnerable to ledge-trump Bair from Robin.

1.1 also brought a significantly faster Elthunder for dealing with D3 in neutral (which she already did just fine), and buffed the crap out of her reward off grab. I have to test exact percents, but the Checkmate (D-throw Uair) definitely works on Dedede, opening up a consistent kill off grab at around 100-110%.

This is all to say nothing of his susceptibility to Arcthunder combos, his incredibly large frame making him a gigantic Nosferatu target, and his inability to combat her in the long-range camp war that sometimes lets Dedede force his opponent to approach. He has basically nothing going for him in this match-up. Robin can play super straightforward and borderline brainless and he will struggle to cope with even the most basic of gameplans. (If Robin executes correctly)

My advice is that if you're fighting a competent Robin you should probably just pick a different character. I consider this MU a strong +2, borderline +3, and he's easily our best match-up other than possibly Ganondorf (w/o customs, Dropkick helps him a bit).

I.... think that about covers it.

Here's me fighting Shrooby or an hour and a half. (When I first started learning the MU) I start out doing a lot of experimenting with different customs/playstyles before I eventually realize he's just completely free to Arcfire in the later games and change my gameplan accordingly.

Last edited:

Smooth Criminal

Da Cheef
NNID
boundless_light
I would like to mention, Raz, that getting out of Wind Jab wasn't that random. I got out of it pretty consistently with SDI + jumps.

But, that's beans when Robin can virtually cover any of your options otherwise. Hate to sound like a crony but my dude is right: This is a horrendous MU, up there with the likes of Mega Man.

Smooth Criminal

Axel311

Smash Ace
NNID
axel311
Awful matchup. Similar to other spammy types, Robin just camps Dedede so hard. That's all that really matters here and it's what defines the matchup. Approaching a campy Robin is so difficult. I've played a few good Robins and it's just miserable trying to approach. This matchup is similar to the Samus matchup. Robin and Samus are slow but we can't take advantage of it because we can't approach...at all.

I'd say :4robinf:65:35:4dedede:

Last edited:

CO18

Smash Hero

Preface: My experience in this match-up comes from a combined 4 hours or so with @ shrooby shrooby and @ Smooth Criminal Smooth Criminal .

Arcfire completely defines this matchup. Because Dedede's mobility is so bad, Arcfire is literally an all-purpose 'No.' button. You can throw it out in virtually ANY situation and it will be the correct decision, or at least tactically passable. Dedede simply cannot approach through it on the ground (he's too wide) and if he tries to jump over it, he's completely free to Robin jumping up and swinging a Fair (followed by Falling Nair) at him.

Boxing in close to mid-range with Dedede is pretty simple. If you're far enough away, you Arcfire. If you're close, you jab. Dedede is pretty free to either variant of jab, though he sometimes pops out of Wind Jab due to his floatiness, should you be using it at as an anti-air.

Air-to-air Dedede simply cannot compete with Fair/Uair. They have way too much disjoint for him to deal with due to his slow start-up and poor arc on Fair, and abysmal hitbox size on Nair. His Bair is passable, but quite slow and telegraphed, making it unreliable in general.

About the only time Dedede actually doesn't feel like his life is complete suffering is if he has Robin off-stage. Due to her lack of defense-oriented hitboxes on Elwind, she's actually pretty easy to edge-guard IF you can steal her double-jump. If she can hold that, she's fine and able to swat D3 away pretty easily with Fair or Uair. Unfortunately for Dedede, this aspect of the MU got even worse with patch 1.1, as Robin received significantly buffed control over her Elwind recovery in terms of her horizontal movement and ability to weave with it.

If Robin gets D3 offstage, you basically just lost the stock. Put down your controller, she's going to put Arcfire on the ledge and it will cover literally every option Dedede has. Her Levin sword aerials also mean D3's normally high survivability is significantly weakened, especially with the 1.1 damage buff to Fair. D3 is also vulnerable to ledge-trump Bair from Robin.

1.1 also brought a significantly faster Elthunder for dealing with D3 in neutral (which she already did just fine), and buffed the crap out of her reward off grab. I have to test exact percents, but the Checkmate (D-throw Uair) definitely works on Dedede, opening up a consistent kill off grab at around 100-110%.

This is all to say nothing of his susceptibility to Arcthunder combos, his incredibly large frame making him a gigantic Nosferatu target, and his inability to combat her in the long-range camp war that sometimes lets Dedede force his opponent to approach. He has basically nothing going for him in this match-up. Robin can play super straightforward and borderline brainless and he will struggle to cope with even the most basic of gameplans. (If Robin executes correctly)

My advice is that if you're fighting a competent Robin you should probably just pick a different character. I consider this MU a strong +2, borderline +3, and he's easily our best match-up other than possibly Ganondorf (w/o customs, Dropkick helps him a bit).

Here's me fighting Shrooby or an hour and a half. (When I first started learning the MU) I start out doing a lot of experimenting with different customs/playstyles before I eventually realize he's just completely free to Arcfire in the later games and change my gameplan accordingly.

I won't say too much specifically about the MU since I like to wait until i personally play the top/at least top 3 player of char before I actual draw strict conclusions about a MU, but I have played a few robins and have won each time so I have a general feel for the MU and they also arcfire spammed. IMO shrooby played the Matchup pretty poorly after you adapted. Most Notably was a lack of patience lol/throwing out unsafe moves when he can be punished by your projetiles. I highly highly doubt this MU will be +2 for Robin, nevermind +3 at the highest level. Alot of the hits he was taking would be mitigated by simply walking and just waiting out the spam until DDD is in ftilt range where the pressure is now on robin to be safe and the DDD could act accordingly. This would also be easier offline obviously. But Robin's projectile spam shouldn't be difficult for DDD to deal with at all(offline) if you're just walking, Robin doesn't have great options to punish DDD for sitting in shield/powershielding or just waiting it out until his arcfire is gone for awhile since robin's run speed and grab range are crap. Its similar to how to properly play the snake mu in brawl. It calls for a long, boring match but DDD can def deal with the projectile spam on stage without it really affecting him too much

Raziek

Charging Limit All Day
NNID
Raziek
3DS FC
3866-8131-5247
I won't say too much specifically about the MU since I like to wait until i personally play the top/at least top 3 player of char before I actual draw strict conclusions about a MU, but I have played a few robins and have won each time so I have a general feel for the MU and they also arcfire spammed. IMO shrooby played the Matchup pretty poorly after you adapted. Most Notably was a lack of patience lol/throwing out unsafe moves when he can be punished by your projetiles. I highly highly doubt this MU will be +2 for Robin, nevermind +3 at the highest level. Alot of the hits he was taking would be mitigated by simply walking and just waiting out the spam until DDD is in ftilt range where the pressure is now on robin to be safe and the DDD could act accordingly. This would also be easier offline obviously. But Robin's projectile spam shouldn't be difficult for DDD to deal with at all(offline) if you're just walking, Robin doesn't have great options to punish DDD for sitting in shield/powershielding or just waiting it out until his arcfire is gone for awhile since robin's run speed and grab range are crap. Its similar to how to properly play the snake mu in brawl. It calls for a long, boring match but DDD can def deal with the projectile spam on stage without it really affecting him too much
While I understand what you're trying to get at, you can't really...... wait out Arcfire, so to speak. It doesn't fizzle, so if I throw it it's going to hit your shield or you have to risk trying to clank it at a safe distance w/ F-tilt or a Gordo. Even if you block it until it breaks, I can just hold the book as a threat to block any offense of Dedede's.

Like..... even completely ignoring Arcfire, Robin racks damage faster, kills earlier, and has a significantly easier time returning to neutral than Dedede does.

How is that not a +2? If Dedede's busting his ass to try to win in neutral and gets crapped on in disadvantage, is his advantage time anywhere near good enough to make up for that? I really don't think it is. It's so easy to just Elwind him from above, land and reset to neutral.

CO18

Smash Hero
While I understand what you're trying to get at, you can't really...... wait out Arcfire, so to speak. It doesn't fizzle, so if I throw it it's going to hit your shield or you have to risk trying to clank it at a safe distance w/ F-tilt or a Gordo. Even if you block it until it breaks, I can just hold the book as a threat to block any offense of Dedede's.

Like..... even completely ignoring Arcfire, Robin racks damage faster, kills earlier, and has a significantly easier time returning to neutral than Dedede does.

How is that not a +2? If Dedede's busting his *** to try to win in neutral and gets crapped on in disadvantage, is his advantage time anywhere near good enough to make up for that? I really don't think it is. It's so easy to just Elwind him from above, land and reset to neutral.
I didn't mean wait it out in that manner was referring to waiting until it breaks. I would have to play you to show you, but my point is at highest level robin's projectiles would basically never ever hit me if Im walking in neutral and Robin doesn't have the tools to punish me for just sitting in shield and waiting because of his terrible run speed and grab range. Dedede wouldn't be busting his to win in neutral. While the pressure "technically" would be coming from robin, it wouldn't really matter and regardless of how long it takes I could just do it until Im in a range thats favorable for DDD(basically Ftilt range). For example, the strategy im referring to wouldn't work vs a char like ZSS because of how fast she is and she has a tether grab.
To draw a parallel, I'd still have to play you to show you but in brawl, Falco was basically universally considered a horrible matchup for DDD(though I knew this to be untrue) but I beat/destroyed basically every top brawl falco for the same reasons I mentioned here and that was a char that had a 0-60 cg on DDD. His lasers basically didn't matter at the highest level because I could just slowly walk/wait/shield/powershield until I was in advantageous range for DDD.
Time will tell but I'm almost certain there's no way in the world this will be +2 for robin even after watching the latter matches of your video and I've also played a few robins myself. Everytime shrooby was gettting hit by your projectiles he was either running, jumping and throwing a gordo or jumping and bairing.

Last edited:

Raziek

Charging Limit All Day
NNID
Raziek
3DS FC
3866-8131-5247
Arc fire IS the tool that punishes you for sitting in shield lol. You can power shield the first hit but the rest is going to burn your shield down until you get shield poked. It's not something you can just 'weather the storm' with. I've seen you play Brawl and I know what you're talking about doing, but I'm confident it's not a feasible solution.

CO18

Smash Hero
Arc fire IS the tool that punishes you for sitting in shield lol. You can power shield the first hit but the rest is going to burn your shield down until you get shield poked. It's not something you can just 'weather the storm' with. I've seen you play Brawl and I know what you're talking about doing, but I'm confident it's not a feasible solution.
Well I know you cant sit in shield but vs arcfire I would just rollback lol, it would basically be a stalemate, it would be long and boring but ultimately its what the matchup will probably come down to. Also how does the gordo vs arcfire work? When does it/doesn't it beat it?

Soul Train

Just laugh.
NNID
JSXian
Well I know you cant sit in shield but vs arcfire I would just rollback lol, it would basically be a stalemate, it would be long and boring but ultimately its what the matchup will probably come down to. Also how does the gordo vs arcfire work? When does it/doesn't it beat it?
Gordo plows through Arcfire, until the last launching hit. If the Gordo is inside the fire for the last few frames, it'll reflect. But it means you can actually sit just outside Arcfire range and throw Gordos. It leaves you far enough away to still shield/reflect Gordos in time, and pressure.

Raziek

Charging Limit All Day
NNID
Raziek
3DS FC
3866-8131-5247
If you just sit there and throw Gordos, any variant of Thunder will reflect those from a safe distance.

Soul Train

Just laugh.
NNID
JSXian
Right. Which is why I said at that range we can in turn reflect them back. There's a set distance where we can Nair/Dtilt/shield them after throwing.

Last edited:

Cook

Smash Master
I didn't mean wait it out in that manner was referring to waiting until it breaks. I would have to play you to show you, but my point is at highest level robin's projectiles would basically never ever hit me if Im walking in neutral and Robin doesn't have the tools to punish me for just sitting in shield and waiting because of his terrible run speed and grab range. Dedede wouldn't be busting his to win in neutral. While the pressure "technically" would be coming from robin, it wouldn't really matter and regardless of how long it takes I could just do it until Im in a range thats favorable for DDD(basically Ftilt range). For example, the strategy im referring to wouldn't work vs a char like ZSS because of how fast she is and she has a tether grab.
To draw a parallel, I'd still have to play you to show you but in brawl, Falco was basically universally considered a horrible matchup for DDD(though I knew this to be untrue) but I beat/destroyed basically every top brawl falco for the same reasons I mentioned here and that was a char that had a 0-60 cg on DDD. His lasers basically didn't matter at the highest level because I could just slowly walk/wait/shield/powershield until I was in advantageous range for DDD.
Time will tell but I'm almost certain there's no way in the world this will be +2 for robin even after watching the latter matches of your video and I've also played a few robins myself. Everytime shrooby was gettting hit by your projectiles he was either running, jumping and throwing a gordo or jumping and bairing.
I wish you'd been in this thread the whole time to give more reasonable matchup numbers, lol. People don't seem to understand how bad a matchup had to be to be 65:35, let alone 70:30.

SalsaSavant

Smash Journeyman
NNID
SalsaSavior
Right. Which is why I said at that range we can in turn reflect them back. There's a set distance where we can Nair/Dtilt/shield them after throwing.
If we did that, what would Robin's remaining options be if (s)he wanted to reflect again?
I know Thunder has a bit of lag after it, but is it enough? Could he reflect again with it? Or will he just have to dodge/take it?

Soul Train

Just laugh.
NNID
JSXian
If we did that, what would Robin's remaining options be if (s)he wanted to reflect again?
I know Thunder has a bit of lag after it, but is it enough? Could he reflect again with it? Or will he just have to dodge/take it?
It's entirely dependent on spacing and the moves used to reflect. If D3 does a catch reflect, that's punishable all day. But with a Dtilt/Nair reflect, Robin won't have options other than get hit or shield. However if it's spaced far enough away, the Gordo should disappear even if Robin reflects it (Gordos disappear after ~2-3 reflects, move dependent).

I'd have to test with someone else to be more precise about it. The Gordo is always a mystery.

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
To all Dededes out there, the Rosalina sub-forum has a match-up discussion thread all set up to analyze Rosalina's match-up against King Dedede. Got anything to share for the Rosalina vs. King Dedede match-up? Then head to the following thread link...

http://smashboards.com/threads/413572/

In terms of the rules, be sure to go to the directory thread.

http://smashboards.com/threads/404194/

slavoslav

Smash Cadet
I'm going to give this MU a 70:30 for Dedede to smooth out the average and there's nothing you can do about it.

Seriously though lol there's no way in hell this MU is as horrible as some in this thread make it out to be. I might be willing to buy a +1 for Robin but that's being generous. I'm fairly convinced it's an even match-up.

Last edited:

SalsaSavant

Smash Journeyman
NNID
SalsaSavior
I'm going to give this MU a 70:30 for Dedede to smooth out the average and there's nothing you can do about it.

Seriously though lol there's no way in hell this MU is as horrible as some in this thread make it out to be. I might be willing to buy a +1 for Robin but that's being generous. I'm fairly convinced it's an even match-up.
I don't think you can do that.
Any if you do, I'm pretty sure it'll be ignored/discouted/thrown into a river to see if it floats to prove that you're a witch.

shrooby

BRoomer
NNID
shrooby
3DS FC
2320-6364-8294

That's not how this works. Posts with little to no thought put into them are ignored. Don't give your arbitrary numbers with no backup
If you take issue with that, then PM me. Continuing this discussion here will be considered off-topic spam.

slavoslav

Smash Cadet
That's not how this works. Posts with little to no thought put into them are ignored. Don't give your arbitrary numbers with no backup
If you take issue with that, then PM me. Continuing this discussion here will be considered off-topic spam.
party pooper

Idk man it's pretty obvious that Robin is not a 35:65 or 30:70 or -3 MU, nor is it
SUPER terrible for Dedede.
lol. That would equal Sonic/ZSS/[insertrandomtoptierhere] level of difficulty and if anyone actually believes Robin is as tough as these characters then I'm at a loss for words. Yes Dedede is a bad character but he's not quite bad enough yet for Robin of all characters to invalidate him lol.
Also I'm too much of a lazy fаggot to write a wall of text to explain my reasoning so there's that too!

But here I go. Robin is a very doable MU in my experience. Powershielding her projectiles in neutral is easy enough. None of her projectiles are particularly hard to react to which allows Dedede to get it on her relatively unharmed with patient play. She has no real options to punish extensive shielding because of her attrocious running speed and poor grab. And once Dedede's in his ftilt comfort zone he wins the MU.
I also find Robin to be one of the easiest characters to gimp. Her recovery is predictable and linear with terrible hitboxes, and Dedede's off-stage game is very solid. He also sports an excellent recovery considering his weight class. It's _certainly_ not the other way around,
If Robin gets D3 offstage, you basically just lost the stock.
lol.

This is also one of the few MUs where Dedede can use Gordos relatively liberally since Robin has no easily spammable projectiles that reflect them, especially when thrown from the air. Arcfire loses to Gordos. That move has so much lag you can can hit Robin from half a stage's distance with a well-aimed Gordo toss.

In all fairness her Dthrow into Upair might me super-good now. I don't know if it works on Dedede at kill percentages at all times regardless of %, DI and rage (I doubt it) but even if it does hey, you really shouldn't get grabbed by Robin in the first place.

I'd like to call the MU even for now since we're still talking Dedede here who can easily be abused owing to his awful mobility, poor disadvantage and meme framedata. Even Robin can capitalize on his glaring flaws, just not nearly as well as a ton of other characters.

Last edited:

shrooby

BRoomer
NNID
shrooby
3DS FC
2320-6364-8294
Okeeee Robin is done.
:4robinf: 65:35 :4dedede: (It's grill for you @ Raziek Raziek )

Now is onto Greninja.
Fear the dashgrab, boooooys.
I repeat, Greninja. Not Mewtwo, it's Greninja.
I'm a terrible person for still finding this funny...

Discuss! :4greninja:

NNID
UncleCubone
3DS FC
3539-9630-7110
This MU would be so much easier if they just nerfed Greninja already.

Reserving for later.
I'm actually going to write something this time I swearsies.

Eggggggggggbert

Smash Apprentice
I think it's worth noting that you can Gordo through the ninja star making it safer to use Gordos than in most match ups

KeithTheGeek

Smash Ace
NNID
bkeith
3DS FC
5026-4475-8239
^Only the full charged one, right?

Anyways...Greninja. They sped up his Shuriken this patch, right? That's a little scary. I've played a couple of Greninja players that are around/slightly above my skill level, and I never felt the match-up was that difficult. I do think that Greninja may have a slight advantage over us though, he can get a lot off of a grab or a well placed shuriken.

Greninja's recovery is surprisingly slippery. He doesn't have a hitbox (besides the water) when moving so we can just whack him out of the air, but the speed he moves at and the ability to change directions makes that easier said than done. I'm not sure how common this, but I've seen Shadow Sneak used as a recovery when he's recovering high. You can't see the shadow from it until it passes over the stage. It's generally unsafe for them to do that but it's definitely caught me off guard before when I wasn't expecting it.

Flawed

Smash Apprentice
NNID
TheFlawedOne
I don't feel like this is too terrible. Upthrow up air is rough but Greninja takes effort, and you kinda have to fall into a lot of his more dangerous setups.

I have a friend who plays Greninja (and although we haven't played in a long time) I body him in friendlies, yet played poorly against his greninja in tournament.

Main thing is he outcombos us, can semi-camp us he has juggles and superior mobility,

but we kill early

45:55 ?

No smashville or town and city in this matchup. The sides favor greninja too much

Soul Train

Just laugh.
NNID
JSXian
:4greninja: is a fun matchup. Yes he's faster, and can zone us out, but nothing he's got is too ridiculous, and he has to commit to his kill options.

On the ground: the frog is a fantastic footsie character, and the last few patches have cemented this with faster shurikens and a better Ftilt. So just don't deal with it - reset back to neutral. The danger zone is just outside our grab range (his outranges ours I believe) to just inside D3's Ftilt. Pivot Ftilt is really big here. Again all of his kill options require commitment - namely Usmash and Fsmash - you can easily bait or outrange both.

In the air: Greninja's massive jump is actually a disadvantage for him in this matchup. One of D3's weakest areas is just above and in front of him - perfect for Sheik/ZSS/etc, but the frog's shorthop height forces him to delay a bit for any aerial offense, giving you more reaction time. We outrange in air, and can throw out a lot of hitboxes in areas Greninja just can't beat. Just never stay directly above him - his fast jump and good Uair will punish you.

Edgeguarding: opposite as before. Here you always want to be above him. When he's offstage, 90% of the time Greninja WILL Shadow Sneak back. You can't see the shadow moving towards you, so it's easy to be surprised by this - don't. Instead, float just above him horizontally. Shadow Sneak actually has a lot of endlag, and it's easy to punish with a Bair/Dair/Gordo. If that misses, Waterfall has no hitbox, and is easy to edgeguard (as long as you're above it).

If he's edgeguarding you, watch out for Waterfall gimps - it WILL work against Dedede Jump if he times it right. Bait this out with all of your jumps, and basically never go for the on-stage UpB landing mixup. While recovering to stage, try not to stay horizontally in front of him. Shuriken goes farther than you think. Fully charged it WILL hit below the ledge, carry you off, and kill at stupid low %s. Don't let that happen.

Honestly you'll almost never see this matchup at a high level, so few play him. I think it could be 60:40 if more top players developed the frog, but at the moment it's just not there yet. Everyone just plays Sheik for better frame data, kill options, combos, and recovery.

:4greninja: 55:45 :4dedede:

Gunla

It's my bit, you see.
Administrator
BRoomer
Writing Team
Hi, Greninja's mod here. I have some good experience with the MU, actually, so I'll throw in my two cents.

This is listed as 55:45 Greninja on our board and I'll say it's still the case. Some things to note for now:
  • Greninja usually recovers low for this MU.
  • Don't be above him when he's on the ground. It is very easy for us to get in a Uair or Fair. Expect a lot of follow ups from Gren after a Uthrow to just be a Uair.
  • Punish with Fair or Nair if he recovers mid, but SS falls pretty quick and has good endlag, allowing us to recover with HP right after.
  • We can gimp Dedede pretty hard. Super Dedede Jump is one of the easier recoveries for us to gimp, so I recommend recovering low/near the ledge (this helps moreso if you're using the Rising Dedede custom imo).
  • We shut down Gordos, period.
  • If a Greninja uses SS on the ground and you catch it, punish. Gren can't really afford to use Ground SS in the MU, so he shouldn't.

Last edited:

FullMoon

i'm just joking with you
NNID
INFullMoon
It might actually be worse for Dedede now because of our shuriken buff, the shuriken is actually pretty crazy now.

We can very easily camp Dedede with shurikens because if he tries to shoot a Gordo at us chances are we'll hit it back at him. Now we can really lock Dedede down with shurikens by doing short hop double shurikens and if he places himself above us then we can juggle him for days.

I'm of the opinion that the buff made this MU easier for us. It's harder for Dedede to punish our shurikens now which gives us even better stage control. The added D-Throw -> F-Air kill set up also gives us something to help kill Dedede horizontally, since he typically survives a long time vertically thanks to his weight and fall speed.

Dedede has to abuse his massive range to keep Greninja out while trying to lock him down into one place. However that's hard to do because of how fast Greninja is so he can get away and get distance to start camping again or you might make a mistake that allows us to combo you back.

I'd say the MU is 60:40 Greninja's favor now. Faster shurikens allow us to zone Dedede out better, a kill setup out of a grab is really big here considering Dedede's laggy moves and our great dash grab, plus Dedede's massive hurtbox making him easier to hit with it.

CO18

Smash Hero
I wish you'd been in this thread the whole time to give more reasonable matchup numbers, lol. People don't seem to understand how bad a matchup had to be to be 65:35, let alone 70:30.
Yeah alot of these are def off imo but we'll see. Getting more familiar with Mu's too, dont think sonic is a hard counter at all anymore probably more like 55:45, ive been having success playing the MU the way I did in brawl, basically becomes a chess match and have played more robins and def feel mu is probably even lol.

As for Greninja, I actually do think Greninja is 60:40. He actually has a projectile that forces DDD to commit hard and DDD can't reliably hit him because of his speed and if the greninja spaces properly DDD can't really punish his aerials. It's pretty tough if they zone properly and mix up dash grabs.

shrooby

BRoomer
NNID
shrooby
3DS FC
2320-6364-8294
Yeah alot of these are def off imo but we'll see. Getting more familiar with Mu's too, dont think sonic is a hard counter at all anymore probably more like 55:45, ive been having success playing the MU the way I did in brawl, basically becomes a chess match and have played more robins and def feel mu is probably even lol.
Hoh yeah, things are outdated, definitely.
Needless to say we'll be going through all the characters again lol

I'm actually going to write something this time I swearsies.
:4dedede:

Aaaanyway, Greninja's done.
:4greninja: 55:45 :4dedede:

And now the bear and birrr- I mean the dog and bird, Duck Hunt!
Discuss! :4duckhunt:

Axel311

Smash Ace
NNID
axel311
Obviously Duck Hunt has the advantage. He's a character built to projectile spam, and approaching is of Dedede's biggest weaknesses and Duck Hunt capitalizes on that so well. It's so hard to approach a good Duck Hunt Dog. Dedede does well up close, but that doesn't matter when he's never going to get there. Dedede is just too big and slow, he doesn't have the tools to approach a good duck hunt. Obviously being able to powershield well is a must, but approaching is still hell regardless. Duck hunt can put so many hitboxes on the screen at the same time.

Duck Hunt can just run away and spam the whole match and there's not much Dedede can do about it. If you must play this matchup definitely pick a small stage with platforms to help you get around the spam, anything but duck hunt or final destination. In my experience this matchup is much easier on Battlefield or Dreamland. On those stages I think it's a 60:40 matchup. But overall, I'd have to say -

:4duckhunt:65: 35 :4dedede:

Last edited:
Top Bottom