• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Rate their Chances: the DLC Edition. Day: 192: The final day

NNID
Majorasmask66
Hades
Chances: 10%
He seems to be a popular choice in the ballot, though I don't think Kid Icarus is going to get another character. It's such a small series to begin with. If anything it's at close to being somewhat close to what the Pikmin series is. It's a small B-tier series for Nintendo, I don't care if Sakurai is the director but, it doesn't need anyone else. Not to mention he is an assist trophy.

Want: 10%
I'm not much of a fan of Kid Icarus but I do appreciate the content it has in the game already. I love what they've done with Palutena in Smash the reason why I don't want another Kid Icarus characteris because of Dark Pit. Dark Pit kind of ruined the want of me not wanting another KI rep in Smash. If anything I would've loved to see Viridi and Phosphora, but I think we all know why they aren't going to happen.

Llyod Irving
Chances: 15%
Okay since Ryu pretty much opens floodgates and proved that the one character per third party company rule is now pretty much bogus, I can see Namco getting a second rep. However, I don't think they're going to do anyone one from their more modern franchises like the Tales Of series. Namco so far only made references to their retro and classic franchises. Though doesn't Tales Of have one sone in the music section in Smash Wii U? Maybe they'll put in Llyod though I don't see him happening even if Namco really wants to get a second character. To be honest I can see them doing another classic retro hero, the question is who is the second best retro character after PacMan for Namco to go to is the question. I can also see Tales of x Super Smash Bros as Mii costumes and Llyod ends up being one of them...that's the only way I can see him getting in just because it hasn't happened yet doesn't mean it won't, I know he was a popular choice as a Namco candidate during preSmash 4 but his popularity definetly dwindled since PacMan's reveal and he barley has any support in the ballot. The Tales Of series has a so what cult following with Nintendo fans but I don't think it's going to be enough.

Want: Abstain
I've played Tales of Symphonia pretty late in life, I got it during 2005 and played a good number of hours with it. I don't think that this one exclusive game should be the reason why he should be in. There's tons of other third parties that have mascots that have more history with Nintendo than Llyod or the Tales Of series as whole does. I in all honesty don't care I would not cry at all if he doesn't get in...I actually want him far away from Smash pease Sakurai do not put him in, if anything if you want Tales Of represented just give us the music from it and I'll be happy. Besides there's other third partied I'd like to see over him or any Tales Of character.

All Vets Returning: 15%
Wolf, Snake and the Ice Climbers are really the only vets I care about at this point. Why do I have a feeling that this day is not going to be pretty?

Adeleine Prediction: 5%

Nomination: Concept- Regular Trophies becoming DLC Characters
He's not an assist trophy.

Last edited:

Kenith

Overkill Sarcasm
The Fabulous Friendly Super Sparkle Train
NNID
RipoffmanXKTG
3DS FC
4210-4224-9442
Hades
Chance: 2%.
Want: Abstain.

Meh.

Lloyd Irving
Chance: 2%.
Want: 70%.

Suitable answer to Capcom having Ryu and Mega Man, with multiple appearances on Nintendo consoles, but Namco doesn't really need a second rep. And one from Tekken/Soulcalibur is more likely anyways.
I like Lloyd though, and I'd be okay with him in Smash (especially if had his VA from the first Tales of Symphonia)

---
Nominations: Jill Valentine x5 (can someone help me nominate this character so I can move on to Excitebike?)

FancySmash

Smash Lord
Lloyd
Chance
10% - With Ballot support being rather low, and him not being a legendary third party character like fellow Namco character Pac-Man, Lloyd's chances don't look too good. However, he is again, related to Namco, and that just might help him if all 3rd Party companies do indeed get a 2nd rep.

Want
0% - Let me just say that I have nothing against this character. It's really just the fact that I'd be bothered by seeing him next next to such legendary third party characters. Lastly, I'm completely fine with third party characters as it is. Unless they want to maybe throw in Eggman to give the Sonic series a villain, than I'm good with what I've got.

Hades
OK, I've got to ask this before I move any further. Why is it that in modern culture, whenever there's something to do with Greek mythology, Hades is always a villain? In classic Greek mythology, Hades was NEVER a villain. Yet, to the modern world, whenever a work is made involving classic Greek lore, Hades is 99.9% of the time a villain. It frustrates me to no end actually.

Chance
15% - Unlike fellow KI villain Medusa, Hades is actually a character of Sakurai's creation. This ups his ante from the get go. However, Hades, while sill liked, can't change the fact that he's a Kid Icarus character, which people are already pretty upset about getting three characters. He'd need a lot of ballot support to be even considered, and I don't even know where his ballot support lies.

Want
0% - Look, I don't want any more Kid Icarus characters. It isn't just the fact that it got 3 characters. If that was it alone, I'd be more neutral to them getting a fourth rep. I wouldn't jump for joy or anything, but I'd get over it. I'm also looking at the fact that about 25% of Smash Run swarming with KI enemies, not a lot until you realize that multiple series are involved in Smash Run. Lastly, if people want a humorous villain, you have one already. In the Mario RPG series of games, Bowser is typically a comedic villain, so I don't need Hades for that either.

Predictions
All Vets - 3%
Adeline - 3%

Nominations
Eggman X5

Hades
OK, I've got to ask this before I move any further. Why is it that in modern culture, whenever there's something to do with Greek mythology, Hades is always a villain? In classic Greek mythology, Hades was NEVER a villain. Yet, to the modern world, whenever a work is made involving classic Greek lore, Hades is 99.9% of the time a villain. It frustrates me to no end actually.
Disclaimer off topic
Because hell is portrayed differently for the general modern mindset of being a horrible place. But for the greeks the underworld was far less horrifying but hades wound up associated with death and thus, pure evil

Also i dont think media has ever shown ares being a coward before or hera being the real villain of mythology (opinion). Or the fact dionysus made people go insane but he is shown as a jolly old fat guy (although i could have sworn all gods were physically perfect so being fat wouldnt make sense)

And especially not zeus's . . . Time as the original literal sexual golden shower.

Sorry i needed an excuse to dpeak mythology and based on the fact tou question hades being evil you might already know this. :p

Last edited:
NNID
Majorasmask66
Disclaimer off topic
Because hell is portrayed differently for the general modern mindset of being a horrible place. But for the greeks the underworld was far less horrifying but hades wound up associated with death and thus, pure evil

Also i dont think media has ever shown ares being a coward before or hera being the real villain of mythology (opinion). Or the fact dionysus made people go insane but he is shown as a jolly old fat guy (although i could have sworn all gods were physically perfect so being fat wouldnt make sense)

And especially not zeus's . . . Time as the original sexual golden shower.

Sorry i needed an excuse to dpeak mythology and based on the fact tou question hades being evil you might already know this. :p
Hades did nothing wrong.

colder_than_ice

Smash Lord
Hades
Chance: 5% - If we get another Kid Icarus character, then my money's on Hades. He's both very popular and a main antagonist.
Want: 60%

Lloyd
Chance: 1% - "Tales of" is one of those franchises that tends to rotate main protagonists, alongside the whole cast, with almost every instalment. Lloyd has only starred in one game (correct me if I'm wrong here, I'm rushing though this with not much research) and had supporting roles in a few spinoff titles. I just feel that there are bigger third party characters out there.
Want: 20%

nominations: Jean Descole x5

DAY OVER
PLEASE WAIT WHILE I CALCULATE THE RESULTS

colder_than_ice

Smash Lord
HADES
CHANCE: 7.85%
WANT: 36.38%

LLOYD
CHANCE: 6.71%
WANT: 28.23%
Next up we're rating Adeleine from Kirby as well as the concept of Pichu, Young Link, Wolf, Snake, Squirtle, Ivysaur and Ice Climbers all returning. Also please predict what score Young Link (without every other veteran) and Jill Valentine will get tomorrow.

Iko MattOrr

Smash Champion
NNID
Iko_MattOrr
This is a long post, but please read it, don't skip it, especially if you aren't very familiar with the character of Adeleine.

Adeleine

Chances: 3%

Well, her chances are a bit low unfortunatelly, but this shouldn't stop the support for the character, instead it should be seen as a reason for supporting Adeleine a lot more!
In few months, the Adeleine thread grew a lot, and became the second most active Kirby related support thread (well Bandana Dee is too big), and it's still growing, even if slowly.
Despite this, her chances are low because:

-The character, despite having major roles in the Dark Matter trilogy, was never used again after those games, and only after more than a decade, she had a cameo as 2 keychains in Kirby Triple Deluxe without even her name mentioned.

-Apparently, Sakurai hates her and the trilogy of Kirby games directed by Shinichi Shimomura, probably for personal reasons... this is fan speculation, but the hints are here so it's pretty much credible.

but chances could rise in the future, because the support is growing and the character is slowly becoming more and more popular; also, recently she got a couple of interesting references in recent Kirby games, even if those aren't directly linked to her:

-In Kirby Fighters, when you select the ability, Adeleine's theme is played in the background; in Kirby Fighters Deluxe it even got a remix!

-Well, the keychains, first appearance of the character in a Kirby game after many years;

-Amiibo Tap game; Ado's boss fight got a scene in that game, making that fight one of "Nintendo's Greatest Bits" (the title of the game).

-In the very recent game Kirby's Rainbow Curse, there's a (main) character called Elline that's based on the concept of Ribbon and Adeleine fused, and in the game she does many references to Adeleine and Kirby 64 (the easel, the apple scene, and even Claycia raging in the background when you dodge her attacks is inspired by Ado/Adeleine).

-Also, Kirby 64 got released on European VC, and Kirby's Dreamland 3 is accessible by a lot of time now, making a lot of new player aware of the character of Ado/Adeleine.

Want: 100%

Why wanting Adeleine?

-She is a classic, half of Kirby's classics are unrepresented in Smash.

The Dream Collection is a special collection of Kirby games released for the 20th anniversary of Kirby. It has 6 classic games in it. 3 of those games are Kirby's Dreamland 2, Kirby's Dreamland 3 and Kirby 64, also known as the Dark Matter trilogy or the Shimomura trilogy.
Those games are part of the classics, they are a very big part of Kirby's history, and they influenced a lot the current image of Kirby, especially Kirby's Dreamland 3 (the use of different art styles, crayon, yarn, clay...) and Kirby 64 (first polygonal Kirby game, even newer games take inspiration from it for many aspects and details).
It happens that there are almost NO references to those games in the Smash series, aside from Gooey and Rick's trophies in Melee.
There are 3 iconic characters that could represent very well the trilogy, and those characters are Ado/Adeleine, Dark Matter and the animals, Rick, Coo and Kine.
Since the animals are probably the most important and recurring characters (even recently), but they are also not very suited for being transformed into fighters, the only remaining options are Adeleine and Dark Matter, and I think they are both very valid choices, but Adeleine is special, and let's see why.

-She is not just a character

You may think that Adeleine is not much important and that she has been in just one game.
This is not true; Let's begin with the Ado/Adeleine thing.
Ado and Adeleine are 2 characters, one from Kirby's Dreamland 3 and the other from Kirby 64.
Both of them have important roles in the game they appear in.
It's not clear if they are the same character with a different name (kinda like Toadstool/Peach or Robotnik/Eggman) or if they are two separate characters (HAL never confirmed it), but they for sure share the same character concept, so it's safe to consider them as the same entity, design-wise. The same could be said for OoT Link and TP Link, they are 2 different and separate characters in the canon, but concept wise they are still Link. Or even Ness and Ninten... I think the point is clear now.
This makes Adeleine a recurring character, being important in 2 of the classic Kirby games, Kirby's Dreamland 3 and Kirby 64.
Also, Adeleine has the ability to draw things and bring them to life.
This way she is perfectly able to reference other characters by drawings; for example, let's make Dark Matter as her final smash, or create a Chef Kawasaki drawing as B + down (just an example).
With this, you should be able to see that she can be much more than just Adeleine... but there is even more!
The Kirby series has got many magical artists, in the past and even recently.
The painters are always different, but they are so many that we could say that the concept of the magical painter who brings creatures and things to life, is a major element of the Kirby series; if we consider them as a single entity, they have got many more important roles and much more history than the beloved Bandana Dee, the most important being Paint Roller, Adeleine and Drawcia (this also applies to the concept of the creepy final boss - another part of the Kirby franchise that's currently not represented aside from that Nightmare assist trophy - and Adeleine could represent that too, through her final smash - boss drawing).
There are also 2 games that are entirely based on the concept of magical painting, and those games are Kirby Canvas Curse and Kirby Rainbow Curse.

-She is where everything started

There are many magical artists in Kirby, but why Adeleine is more important?
Because she is the only one who got a major role in more than one game (Ado and Adeleine), and because she is where the trend started.
In the downloadable game Amiibo Tap, Ado has a scene of Kirby's Dreamland 3, while Paint Roller does not have one, despite Kirby's Adventure being one of the games in the collection; this is the confirmation that Ado/Adeleine is more important than Paint Roller.
Paint Roller has been the first one, ok, but Paint Roller wasn't really a character, he was just a mere boss. With Ado they made the first step into giving a personality and a better role to the artist, and Adeleine became a member of the party of heroes who saved the universe from Dark Matter.
If it wasn't for Adeleine, Paint Roller would have been just a forgotten concept like... Heavy mole maybe... and no Drawcia, no Elline, etc.

(Scene from Kirby's Dreamland 3)

-She is unique and creative

It's not just the concept of bringing drawing to life, that alone would have already made the character original enough to deserve a spot in the roster; it's also that she can include gameplay mechanics from Canvas Curse and Rainbow Curse in her moveset as well, making her even more creative and unique!
If nobody complained about Zelda using Nayru's Love, Farore's Wind and Din's Fire in her moveset, that are originally Link's moves, and other character who have similar non-canon things, well Adeleine can use any trick from the use of a magical paintbrush in the world of Kirby, even if those tricks are originally done by another character (the rainbow rope for example, it's not Elline's exclusive, since in Canvas Curse the same technique can be performed by the player using the power paintbrush, without controlling any particular character, just "you").

-She fits Smash

https://miiverse.nintendo.net/posts/AYQHAAABAAAtVHhnBHQ_uA
(picture made by me, based on the minigame "Bumper Crop Bump" from Kirby 64)

Her look fits the mood of Smash; she is a fighter and she has some moves in the minigames of Kirby 64 and during the 2 boss fights that can be used as inspiration for a moveset; also, she was planned to be playable in Kirby 64 but for unknown reasons, at the end they scrapped the feature; there are screenshots showing her attacking enemies with the paintbrush (she is still playable in minigames in both multiplayer and single player mode in the final game).
If Rosalina got a moveset, with Adeleine it's even easier.
If you want to know more, look at the first post of the Adeleine support thread.

Link:
http://smashboards.com/threads/the-...he-stars-adeleine-for-smash-wii-u-3ds.333869/

For those saying that she has no chances because Bandana Dee will be the next Kirby character:
Fire Emblem is a smaller franchise than Kirby, and it has 5 characters, one of them is double (male/female). Since the Kirby franchise has been overlooked soo much, it's possible that Kirby will get more than just 1 character; and anyway Adeleine has a fanbase as well, if the Smash development team sees more potential in her it's still possible that she will be chosen over any other Kirby character... we can just make assumptions but nothing is decided yet.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

Concept: All Vetarans Returning
Chances: 0% (Young Link, Pichu and Snake are very unlikely, and some pokèmons like Squirtle, I think they won't be DLC soon).
Want: 0% (Honestly, I'm fine with the characters we have, plus maybe Wolf and the Ice Climbers. Young Link only if they give him a Majora's Mask based moveset, or else I don't want another Link clone).

Predictions:
Young Link = 10%
Jill Valentine = Abstain

Nominate: Gooey x5

Last edited:

Double0Groove

Smash Ace
Hades
Chances: 10%
He seems to be a popular choice in the ballot, though I don't think Kid Icarus is going to get another character. It's such a small series to begin with. If anything it's at close to being somewhat close to what the Pikmin series is. It's a small B-tier series for Nintendo, I don't care if Sakurai is the director but, it doesn't need anyone else. Not to mention he is an assist trophy.
You said he was an assist trophy... Wow... Okay:

Hades

Chance: 10%
He's wanted... by a small group of people, much like the other Kid Icarus characters... Except I see more requests for the others than him.

If we're talking about villain characters, that could be heavy weight material, then I don't know why King K. Rool is at the top of the food chain when this guy exists. No offense to King K. Rool and his supporters, but as far as I know, he's only well known for stealing bananas from monkey's. Bowser and Ganondorf have done way better, and Hades has done even better than them! If you want a REAL villian, you'd best vote for Hades.

Lloyd

Chance: 20%
His following is still there( Smash Flash helps with that too) but it's a shadow of it's former self.

Just recently started playing his game to be honest, and I like what he can bring to smash already, I wonder what else he could offer...

Aetheri

W/E happens don't panic...
Switch FC
SW-3397-5428-2304
Concept: All Cut Veterans Returning for DLC

Chance: 0.1%
Before anything let's run down the list of who's still remaining, and possible problems they may face:

:wolf::
One of the frontrunners for the next DLC, one of the most popular picks and pretty much has no logical reasoning, besides time constraints, for his absence...Everyone, and literally EVERYONE sees him as a lock for DLC, which may very well happen within one of the next Nintendo Directs. no major problems to note other than the fact that he's still not in smash 4.

:snake::
Currently one of the most requested Third party characters, due to his vet status, but his company is in a bit of trouble lately, with Kojima, the sole reason he was in Smash in the first place, now gone...Konami is still willing to have Snake return, but Sakurai may not feel obligated to do so now, unless it's simply for the fans...but Third Party issues are a bigger obstacle than most people think, especially for any company that is currently uninvolved with Smash...

:popo::
Easily the third most requested veterans behind the previous two...They were left out simply due to hardware limitations on the 3DS, as they worked fine on the Wii U, Sakurai may or may not see it worth getting them to work on the 3DS, especially based on his latest statements about DLC, making it sound as if time is still somewhat limited, even though it 'can' be stretched for a while...And making them exculsive to the Wii U and New 3DS contradicts the main reason they were cut in the first place...plus it would piss a lot of fans off

:pt::
As we know him, he's not happening! Period! Now that Charizard is his own character and transformations were removed because of 3DS limitations...even if they gave him new pokemon to work with there are too many issues to make him work the way he did, and changing things up would be kinda awkward and difficult to implement, as well as Sakurai being against changing characters movesets too much...However most people don't want to count him but his pokemon so they are next on the list regardless...

:squirtle::ivysaur::
Both are decently popular thanks to their Brawl inclusion, but are kinda pointless being added as their own separate characters due to a number of reasons including:
-they were added as part of a starter pokemon gimmick with Charizard being all three starter types and all three stages of evolution
-a lot of smash fans don't want any more pokemon, especially generation 1 pokemon, in addition to Mewtwo already being added as the first DLC character it may also be possible that we won't get any more pokemon for DLC period...though reps don't matter I'm sure it's something Sakurai considers when he wants to make fans happy, and give other franchises a shot as well
-Squirtle may be decently popular but is pretty irrelevant outside of Smash, sure you can pick Squirtle in X and Y but who picks Squirtle for squirtle when you got a Mega Blastoise waiting in the winds (I know someone's gonna be that guy, 'Oh I pick Squirtle for Squirtle' cuz he's Da Bess!)
-Ivysaur, has barely any popularity outside of Smash, is pretty much cursed with being that awkward middle stage in the starter line that lacks the cuteness of it's first stage and the power and badassery of it's final form

:pichumelee::
One of the most hated Smash characters of all time, yes he has his fans, but suffers from having a horrible gimmick that made him hated to begin with, was really only added in melee because he was space filler and a simple joke character...and Sakurai is well aware of everyone's hatred towards clones, and Pichu most likely wouldn't get too many changes in his moveset...

:younglinkmelee::
In the same regards as Pichu, but was (though not officialy confirmed) basically replaced by a better version of himself, that fills the exact same niche...adding him in makes him extraordinarily redundant, as well as being a clone of a character with another clone; and changing his moveset goes against Sakurai's wishes to alienate former mains of the character, if he wasn't going to change Ganondorf he won't change Young Link...not to mention the possibility of having a Masked young Link which may sound more appealing but would be difficult to implement

As you can see other than Wolf every character has their problems big or small, whether it's third party hassles, or 3DS issues, or generally being hated by most Smashers; there are way too many issues between everybody, for EVERYBODY to come back...Sakurai's likely gonna want to add as much as he can and trying to sort out ALL of the issues between every single veteran character when only one has basically no issues whatsoever, is not even worth the effort methinks...for the next game it is still unlikely as so far melee is the only game that wasn't missing any characters from the previous iteration and with more and more characters being added with each game some of these characters, despite how loved they are by fans, will unfortunately remain in obscurity...At least you have the previous games, right?

----

Want: 25%
I'll give some credit at least because these guys are like missing pets if you think about it, but I didn't even use most of them, and some I would rather not make it back for one reason or another, though there are a couple characters I'd like to see return such as Wolf, Snake and the Ice Climbers...At the end of the day I would rather Sakurai do his best to make DLC worth while instead of trying to fix a lot of the issues with most of these characters, when he could be working on new ones instead...

----

Adeliene
Chance: 1%
Relatively minor Kirby character that has the likes of Bandana Dee to compete with, in addition to Magolor and Dark Matter taking up most of the remaining support for Kirby characters...

----

Want: 1%
Sorry, not interested, despite Bandana Dee's generic appearance I'd much rather him as well as Magolor for the next Kirby character.

----

Prediction:
!Re-rate: Young Link: 12.3%
Any reason why we are re-rating Young Link again of all people? If anything he'll do even worse considering what Sakurai said about moving forward with 'fan-service' and a hated clone is not going to be good service for the fans...

Jill Valentine: 4.3%
This isn't going to end well...She's part of Capcom, which already got two characters, and she's from a Horror franchise...Smash barely even mentions it's own horror franchise let alone a third party franchise either...Her chances have pretty much bombed like Raccoon City...

----

Nominations: (edit: seems that I won:colorful: so....I'll just double up on these guys and we're good!)
Concept: DLC Adventure Mode x6
Concept: New Metroid Prime Stage x4

Last edited:

Lady Kuki

Smash Journeyman
NNID
PetraRal01
3DS FC
4854-7185-6306
Adeleine

Chance: 3%

She's kind of popular for a Kirby character, but she is overshadowed by Bandana Dee. Also, while she may have tons of potential for a moveset, the Inklings are also characters that have paint or ink involved in their attacks. Then again, they probably use paint/ink differently than Adeleine, so that's not much of a problem IMO.

She's probably one of my most wanted characters. I've always been fascinated by her for some reason. It probably has to do with the fact that she's the only human character (I think) in the Kirby universe. Also, I'm an artist, so I can relate to her more because of that. It's a shame HAL hasn't been using her much lately. Perhaps they may bring her back someday? I heard she's made cameos in the newer games so it's a possibility. That may end up increasing her chances even more.

Return of the Veterans

Chance: 2%

I dunno, I can't really see characters like Snake, Young Link, Pichu etc. coming back. While they're asked for quite a lot, Snake has issues because Konami, Young Link is essentially replaced by Toon Link, Pichu's a joke character, and Ivysaur/Squirtle wouldn't be the same without the Pokemon trainer around. Also, Sakurai has already said that he's not bringing back the Ice Climbers because of hardware issues. The only veteran I see coming back is Wolf, because not only is a new Star Fox game coming out later this year, but Wolf was pretty much taken out for no reason like Lucas. Please correct me if I'm wrong.

Want: 1%
I'm pretty satisfied with all of the characters we've got. More veterans is just a bonus for me at this point. I think it would be nice if Snake came back though.

Predictions

Young Link: 5%
Jill Valentine: Abstain

Nominations: Fiora x5

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Adeleine

Chance: 3%

A non-Sakurai Kirby character with some ballot support and unique moveset potential.

Want: 70%

All Veterans Return

Chance: 0%

The number of remaining DLC characters will be limited, plus most of these veterans have their share of issues.

:pichumelee: - A poorly received veteran with some Japanese popularity.
:younglinkmelee: - A veteran that was outright replaced by his more cartoonish incarnation.
:squirtle::ivysaur: - They have their share of fans, but few are mourning their losses.
:popo: - Sakurai tried his hardest, but technical issues prevented their return.
:snake: - UPDATE: According to his Japanese voice actor, Kojima Productions has disbanded.
Yes, Konami may be open to his return and he would make a ton of money, but that doesn't mean Sakurai is willing to collaborate with the company that screwed his best friend over. On top of that and Konami being a mess in general, there exists whatever issue(s) that prevented Snake's inclusion to begin with.​
:wolf: - The only likely veteran due to his popularity and lack of any major issues.

I'd be very disappointed by the lack of newcomers.

Prediction:

Young Link - 17.5%

Jill Valentine - 5%

Nomination: Concept - Unpopular DLC Character x5

Last edited by a moderator:

LIQUID12A

Smash Modder
NNID
LIQUID12A
3DS FC
0877-1606-0815
Madeline

Wait, that's without an M.

Okay, she's competing with Bandanna Dee primarily, but also lesser characters such as Magolor. Safe to say her chances are dim, especially with the one game side character curse.

Yes, I've played Crystal Shards. But it's mainly her portrayal in BiTF that would entice me a bit, even if it inevitably doesn't carry over to Smash.

The low want rating stems from me wanting other series getting characters before Kirby.

Concept: All veterans returning

Chances: 5%

Yeah, no. Limited DLC slots and how certain characters have been replaced/have issues just kills any sort of serious chance this has.

Predictions:

Young Link(oh boy): 5%
Jill Valentine: 3%

Nominate: Delphox x5

Last edited:
NNID
Majorasmask66
You said he was an assist trophy... Wow... Okay:

Hades

He's wanted... by a small group of people, much like the other Kid Icarus characters... Except I see more requests for the others than him.

If we're talking about villain characters, that could be heavy weight material, then I don't know why King K. Rool is at the top of the food chain when this guy exists. No offense to King K. Rool and his supporters, but as far as I know, he's only well known for stealing bananas from monkey's. Bowser and Ganondorf have done way better, and Hades has done even better than them! If you want a REAL villian, you'd best vote for Hades.

Lloyd

Chance: 20%
His following is still there( Smash Flash helps with that too) but it's a shadow of it's former self.

Just recently started playing his game to be honest, and I like what he can bring to smash already, I wonder what else he could offer...
For using that clip you automatically win the internet. Also unfortunately you're just a little too late to vote for Hades ): Also there is a glorious Hades thread that you can get to by clicking the godly pictures in my signature. And that goes for anyone that is interested.

EDIT heres the link:http://smashboards.com/threads/the-...-now-with-a-fabulous-moveset-analysis.376114/

Last edited:

GhostlyLure

Smash Lord
NNID
GhostlyLureioi
Adeliene

Chances: 0%

Adeliene has appeared in only one game, she really..isn't relevant...ok you can go with the entire "Sakurai revamp character" thing but she has no significance in VG history like G&W, Pac-Man, Duck Hunt, Mega Man, etc does and with her competitors being such relevant and potentially very unique and more interesting characters..I don't see why Sakurai would want to add her over other candidates

I've played Kirby 64 and the Crystal Shards but...what did she really do besides draw Kirby food and fight him once under the possession of another candidate Dark Matter

Want: 0%

I honestly don't care at all for her, don't misunderstand me I'm all for new Kirby reps but Adeliene really isn't a character I want to see especially from the Smash Ballot.

Veterans

Chances: 1%

As Sakurai said it's all fanservice at this point meaning even if you have an upcoming game coming out doesn't mean you are guaranteed a spot, I thought we would have all learned this from Kirby and the Rainbow Curse with Bandana Dee. Besides Wolf there really isn't any hugely requested veterans that are extremely likely Snake would have to raise the rating of the game and Ice Climbers simply can't work in this modern day and age

Come on it's the Smash Bros Ballot the chance where we can get characters we've always wanted in Smash what's the point if all we are going to get out of are veterans..this is why I am happy King K. Rool is a top contender he will be something new not a re-animated moveset with a few balances here and there.

Nominate: Bandana Dee X5

Last edited:

TallT

Smash Apprentice
All veterans returning

Chance: 0.001%

Reasons for low rating
  • The number of veterans still left to add
  • The lack of a desire for some characters to return
  • Sakurai reiterating hardware limitations for the Ice Climbers
  • Time constraints for the Sakurai and his team
  • Possible licensing or rating issues with Snake
  • The redundancy/lack of uniqueness of some characters

I don't see all veterans returning. At best one or two more.

Want: 5%

My only desire is for Wolf to return. Some veterans I wouldn't mind seeing come back, but some like Young Link and Pichu are unnecessary.

Adeline

Chance: 0.0001%

She only appeared in one Kirby game and hasn't appeared since. Also, she isn't a popular choice in the ballot or even in her own franchise.

Want: 2%

Nominate: Goemon x5

CaptainAmerica

Smash Master
NNID
TomOfHyrule
Adeline

At least she's not third-party?
Still, I don't really see much support for her outside of her specific thread on this site. Bandanna Dee pretty much has 'next Kirby rep' locked up, and names like Magolor get thrown around more frequently than Adeline. Honestly, don't really see it though. With limited slots, I doubt we'll get more than one character per franchise, and even then only the popular ones will get it. Dee has a shot; she doesn't.
All Vets Return

Want: 90%
Sakurai's said it himself - every character has his fans and cuts are hard. But I don't think we're getting too many other vets back unfortunately...
The Brawl vets can be ported over, so they'd definitely have a better chance:
:wolf: The only thing standing in his way is that everyone considers him a lock and is therefore not voting. Highly likely.
:snake: Third-party issues with an imploded company. Unlikely.
:popo: Hardware issues, so won't be back unless completely reworked or released as WiiU exclusive.
:squirtle::ivysaur: Forgotten members of a trio, I want them bad, but nobody seems to care about them anymore.​
Melee vets will need to be rebuilt completely, so they're significantly less likely
:pichumelee: Built as a joke, and a perfect 100% clone. Highly unlikely to return.
:younglinkmelee: Another 100% clone - people are requesting a return, but they want an overhauled character (not even Ganondorf could get that...). And others don't need a third Link - he's been completely replaced by his less-cloney, more-toony version.​
All in all, I really don't expect vets besides Wolf to come back. Squirtle and Ivysaur hurt since they're the only non-clone vets without hardware or bureaucratic issues, but I know they're living in Charizard's shadow. I'm not giving up hope since they could be ported and massively reduce development time, but I doubt anything will happen.
Young Link reprediction: Don't think much will change in the chance department - 17.9%
Jill prediction: 2.9%

Nominate Ghirahim x5

POKEMANSPIKA

Smash Master
NNID
POKEMANSPIKA
Adeleine:
Chance:
I personally would rather have Bandana Dee and I have no emotional connection to this character.

Concept: All veterans returning:
Chance: 4%
Limited DLC slots and most of the veterans aren't really requested that much.
:pichumelee:- Weaker version of Pikachu that hurts himself. Small Japanese Popularity
:younglinkmelee:- Toon Link has replaced him.
:ivysaur::squirtle:- Little outcry for their return.
:popo:- Technical issues, hopefully they return in Smash 5
:snake:- Issues being a third party and owned by Konami who are in a situation right now. Also Snake was added in Brawl as a personal favor from Sakurai to Kojima, his friend and creator of Solid Snake. After MGS5, Kojima is leaving Konami, the company with the rights to the character, Snake isn't all that likely even though he is highly requested.
:wolf:- Veteran with the best chance at coming back. Unique moveset and highly requested by both regions.

I don't want every single veteran to come back honestly. Pichu bores me and Young Link has been replaced with Toon Link (the better Link imo). I don't mind the cuts of Ivysaur, Squirtle, and Snake. I don't think Ivysaur and Squirtle warrant their own character slots and I didn't think Snake fit in the Smash style. I do want Wolf and Ice Climbers to return.

Predictions:
Young Link: 7.5%
Jill: 3%

Nominations:
Samurai Goroh 5x

Troykv

Smash Master
Adeleine:

Chance: 5%

A relativate old but curiously popular character in the Kirby's fanbase with a interesting potential.

She one of the few characters that I Desire to this level. I really like her too much.

This is a long post, but please read it, don't skip it, especially if you aren't very familiar with the character of Adeleine.

Adeleine

Well, her chances are a bit low unfortunatelly, but this shouldn't stop the support for the character, instead it should be seen as a reason for supporting Adeleine a lot more!
In few months, the Adeleine thread grew a lot, and became the second most active Kirby related support thread (well Bandana Dee is too big), and it's still growing, even if slowly.
Despite this, her chances are low because:

-The character, despite having major roles in the Dark Matter trilogy, was never used again after those games, and only after more than a decade, she had a cameo as 2 keychains in Kirby Triple Deluxe without even her name mentioned.

-Apparently, Sakurai hates her and the trilogy of Kirby games directed by Shinichi Shimomura, probably for personal reasons... this is fan speculation, but the hints are here so it's pretty much credible.

but chances could rise in the future, because the support is growing and the character is slowly becoming more and more popular; also, recently she got a couple of interesting references in recent Kirby games, even if those aren't directly linked to her:

-In Kirby Fighters, when you select the ability, Adeleine's theme is played in the background; in Kirby Fighters Deluxe it even got a remix!

-Well, the keychains, first appearance of the character in a Kirby game after many years;

-Amiibo Tap game; Ado's boss fight got a scene in that game, making that fight one of "Nintendo's Greatest Bits" (the title of the game).

-In the very recent game Kirby's Rainbow Curse, there's a (main) character called Elline that's based on the concept of Ribbon and Adeleine fused, and in the game she does many references to Adeleine and Kirby 64 (the easel, the apple scene, and even Claycia raging in the background when you dodge her attacks is inspired by Ado/Adeleine).

-Also, Kirby 64 got released on European VC, and Kirby's Dreamland 3 is accessible by a lot of time now, making a lot of new player aware of the character of Ado/Adeleine.

Why wanting Adeleine?

-She is a classic, half of Kirby's classics are unrepresented in Smash.

The Dream Collection is a special collection of Kirby games released for the 20th anniversary of Kirby. It has 6 classic games in it. 3 of those games are Kirby's Dreamland 2, Kirby's Dreamland 3 and Kirby 64, also known as the Dark Matter trilogy or the Shimomura trilogy.
Those games are part of the classics, they are a very big part of Kirby's history, and they influenced a lot the current image of Kirby, especially Kirby's Dreamland 3 (the use of different art styles, crayon, yarn, clay...) and Kirby 64 (first polygonal Kirby game, even newer games take inspiration from it for many aspects and details).
It happens that there are almost NO references to those games in the Smash series, aside from Gooey and Rick's trophies in Melee.
There are 3 iconic characters that could represent very well the trilogy, and those characters are Ado/Adeleine, Dark Matter and the animals, Rick, Coo and Kine.
Since the animals are probably the most important and recurring characters (even recently), but they are also not very suited for being transformed into fighters, the only remaining options are Adeleine and Dark Matter, and I think they are both very valid choices, but Adeleine is special, and let's see why.

-She is not just a character

You may think that Adeleine is not much important and that she has been in just one game.
This is not true; Let's begin with the Ado/Adeleine thing.
Ado and Adeleine are 2 characters, one from Kirby's Dreamland 3 and the other from Kirby 64.
Both of them have important roles in the game they appear in.
It's not clear if they are the same character with a different name (kinda like Toadstool/Peach or Robotnik/Eggman) or if they are two separate characters (HAL never confirmed it), but they for sure share the same character concept, so it's safe to consider them as the same entity, design-wise. The same could be said for OoT Link and TP Link, they are 2 different and separate characters in the canon, but concept wise they are still Link. Or even Ness and Ninten... I think the point is clear now.
This makes Adeleine a recurring character, being important in 2 of the classic Kirby games, Kirby's Dreamland 3 and Kirby 64.
Also, Adeleine has the ability to draw things and bring them to life.
This way she is perfectly able to reference other characters by drawings; for example, let's make Dark Matter as her final smash, or create a Chef Kawasaki drawing as B + down (just an example).
With this, you should be able to see that she can be much more than just Adeleine... but there is even more!
The Kirby series has got many magical artists, in the past and even recently.
The painters are always different, but they are so many that we could say that the concept of the magical painter who brings creatures and things to life, is a major element of the Kirby series; if we consider them as a single entity, they have got many more important roles and much more history than the beloved Bandana Dee, the most important being Paint Roller, Adeleine and Drawcia (this also applies to the concept of the creepy final boss - another part of the Kirby franchise that's currently not represented aside from that Nightmare assist trophy - and Adeleine could represent that too, through her final smash - boss drawing).
There are also 2 games that are entirely based on the concept of magical painting, and those games are Kirby Canvas Curse and Kirby Rainbow Curse.

-She is where everything started

There are many magical artists in Kirby, but why Adeleine is more important?
Because she is the only one who got a major role in more than one game (Ado and Adeleine), and because she is where the trend started.
In the downloadable game Amiibo Tap, Ado has a scene of Kirby's Dreamland 3, while Paint Roller does not have one, despite Kirby's Adventure being one of the games in the collection; this is the confirmation that Ado/Adeleine is more important than Paint Roller.
Paint Roller has been the first one, ok, but Paint Roller wasn't really a character, he was just a mere boss. With Ado they made the first step into giving a personality and a better role to the artist, and Adeleine became a member of the party of heroes who saved the universe from Dark Matter.
If it wasn't for Adeleine, Paint Roller would have been just a forgotten concept like... Heavy mole maybe... and no Drawcia, no Elline, etc.

(Scene from Kirby's Dreamland 3)

-She is unique and creative

It's not just the concept of bringing drawing to life, that alone would have already made the character original enough to deserve a spot in the roster; it's also that she can include gameplay mechanics from Canvas Curse and Rainbow Curse in her moveset as well, making her even more creative and unique!
If nobody complained about Zelda using Nayru's Love, Farore's Wind and Din's Fire in her moveset, that are originally Link's moves, and other character who have similar non-canon things, well Adeleine can use any trick from the use of a magical paintbrush in the world of Kirby, even if those tricks are originally done by another character (the rainbow rope for example, it's not Elline's exclusive, since in Canvas Curse the same technique can be performed by the player using the power paintbrush, without controlling any particular character, just "you").

-She fits Smash

https://miiverse.nintendo.net/posts/AYQHAAABAAAtVHhnBHQ_uA
(picture made by me, based on the minigame "Bumper Crop Bump" from Kirby 64)

Her look fits the mood of Smash; she is a fighter and she has some moves in the minigames of Kirby 64 and during the 2 boss fights that can be used as inspiration for a moveset; also, she was planned to be playable in Kirby 64 but for unknown reasons, at the end they scrapped the feature; there are screenshots showing her attacking enemies with the paintbrush (she is still playable in minigames in both multiplayer and single player mode in the final game).
If Rosalina got a moveset, with Adeleine it's even easier.
If you want to know more, look at the first post of the Adeleine support thread.

Link:
http://smashboards.com/threads/the-...he-stars-adeleine-for-smash-wii-u-3ds.333869/

For those saying that she has no chances because Bandana Dee will be the next Kirby character:
Fire Emblem is a smaller franchise than Kirby, and it has 5 characters, one of them is double (male/female). Since the Kirby franchise has been overlooked soo much, it's possible that Kirby will get more than just 1 character; and anyway Adeleine has a fanbase as well, if the Smash development team sees more potential in her it's still possible that she will be chosen over any other Kirby character... we can just make assumptions but nothing is decided yet.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

Concept: All Vetarans Returning
Chances: 0% (Young Link, Pichu and Snake are very unlikely, and some pokèmons like Squirtle, I think they won't be DLC soon).
Want: 0% (Honestly, I'm fine with the characters we have, plus maybe Wolf and the Ice Climbers. Young Link only if they give him a Majora's Mask based moveset, or else I don't want another Link clone).

Predictions:
Young Link = 10%
Jill Valentine = Abstain

Nominate: Gooey x5
PD: Great Post

Concept: All veteran returning

Two characters makes this impossible: Young Link and the Ice Climbers

I don't want to see Young Link in the game... It's more redundant than have Lucina and Roy because the Gimmick is different, the look is different, etc. Also, Lucina is a last minute Filler

Predictions: YouFiller.k and Jill Valentine

Young Link Chance: 12%
Jill Valentine: 4.5%

Nominations:

Rerate!Micaiah x5

Last edited:

JBRPG

Smash Journeyman
Adeline

Chance: 8%

All veterans returning

Young Link (re-rate) - 15%
Jill - 2%

Nomination - Smash 5 has a 10 year wait cycle.

SleuthMechanism

Smash Ace
NNID
SleuthMechanism
3DS FC
4184-2631-5815
Switch FC
SW-7949-7248-8280
Adeleine:
chance: 2% a rather obscure character who appeared in one kirby game. most people gaven't even heard of her
want: 50% the more i think of the concept of adeleine as a playable character the more i think a reality shifting painter would be really cool and interesting. granted, i'd moresolly want adeleine to appear as a playable character in a new kirby similar to how mk, dedede, and waddle dee have had recent playable appearances. i think she's a neat part of the kirby universe that has a ton of potential to be a fun character.

all veterans returning:
chance: 2% wolf and snake are some of the most wanted characters overall but young link and pichu skew these numbers to the low end along with snake having recent issues..
want: 25% if it means i get wolf, snake, and ivysaur back i'd tolerate the others even though i'd find them absolutely pointless.

Last edited:

Strider_Bond00J

Smash Champion
Switch FC
SW-2525-8699-9095
I remember Adeleine from Kirby 64 ...Ah, classic memories of the N64 and Pop Star being on Dream Land 64 is such a nostalgia overdrive... I'll rate her first and come back later for all veterans returning.

Regardless, I think her chances are very small for this generation of Smash Bros - Around 2% True, she'd have a unique paintbrush and summoning moveset, but I could see her doing that as an Assist Trophy as well. The main front runner of a Kirby DLC newcomer is Bandanna Dee, who has both recent appearances and a strong support base, which sadly Adeleine lacks.

Want: 68%
While Bandanna Dee has the lead of a Kirby newcomer, I think Adeleine would be best suited for an assist trophy role, being a more offensive version of Isabelle.

Now updated:
Abstained chance and want from the concept of all veterans coming back.

Last edited:

NintenRob

Rising YouTuber
NNID
trpdm.wilton
Hopefully this posts well.

Adeleine
Chance and Want 0%
I'll never understand why her of all characters became popular, it makes no sense why she would be playable.

All Veterans returning
Chance: 0.3%
While each of them share one thing to give them a decent chance on their own, they each have their own individual problems that when put together leads to an incredibly low chance score.

Squirtle and Ivysaur were dropped in favour of Solo Zard and would be more Pokemon characters.
Pichu is a hated joke character who wasn't planned for Brawl at all.
Young Link wasn't planned for Brawl and was replaced by Toon Link. There is also the fact that it would mean 3 Links
Ice Climbers don't work on the 3DS version, Sakurai apparently tried his hardest and even tried limiting joints and other stuff in attempt to make them simpler.
Snake is another one facing big issues like Ice Climbers, With so much hassle going on at Konami. Getting the rights to him would be difficult.
Wolf...... errr, hasn't been confirmed yet despite Lucas and Roy being in already
Oh my god, I want this so much. Every Veteran has their fans and I'm sure everyone is a fan of at least one missing veteran.

Predictions
Young Link 12%
Jill (Is this the drill assist trophy from Brawl?) 6%

Nominate Baby Mario (with or without Baby Luigi) x5

Zerp

Formerly "ZeroSoul"
Administrator
Writing Team
Adeleine:
CutPicture.com_2012-Aug-03_10_13_54.jpg

Chances: 2% Sakurai, as already mentioned, probably has a heavy dislike for the whole Dark Matter trilogy, and that would include Adeleine, as both of her appearances were in it, and Bandana Dee/Magolor hog all the Kirby support, her only real chance to get in would be if Kirby got 2 reps instead of one for DLC.

Want: 10000000000000000000000%
I'd be beyond just happy if she got in, she's unique, is all around awesome, and the Dark Matter trilogy finally gets some well earned rep. She has all the moveset potential in the world due to her ability to bring her paintings to life. Unrelated but, I find Adeleine to be a kind of an opposite to Dark Matter and Zero, while Dark Matter/ Zero attempts to plunge Popstar in darkness due to not being able to make any friends, Adeleine only seeks to create joy and help her friends with her powers, despite probably being the only human left (Earth is implied to have froze over, and Adeleine is also the only human ever seen, so yeah, you tell me.). I think Kirby could really use a new rep or two, and while Adeleine isn't my most wanted of the Kirby characters , she'd still be perfect for it in my opinion.

All the Veterans returning:
Chances: 1% I don't see this being likely at all, Ice Climbers are a technical impossiblity, Snake is third party and his company completely ditched Sakurai's friend, Wolf is a tad bit over-expected, I think he's likely but not THAT likely.

Want: 10% I'd actually really love to see them all back one day, in smash 5 that is, this is the time for the most wanted dlc newcomers to shine, please don't ruin that. Really wish I could give them a higher want, but there's to little time for them, I'd rather the newcomers get to shine, such a pity.
Nominations: Jirachi x 5
Predictions: Young Link 14% Roy debate 2.0 inbound, brace yourselves.
Jill 3%
Edit: Changed Young Link prediction.

Last edited:

Nimbostratus

Smash Journeyman
Adeleine
Chance- 0.8%
To my understanding, Sakurai doesn't even like the character.
Which maybe we'd be able to get over if she was really popular and relevant… but she hasn't done anything in a long time, and while I have seen some support for her… it just isn't nearly enough.
Want- 100%
Bandana Dee should be the next Kirby character if we are going off importance, and I would be very happy with getting him… but bias be bias.
I have very fond memories of Kirby 64 as a kid. I always thought Adeleine was cool, and I actually think she has some interesting potential as a character. At the very least she could make a great assist trophy! It's too bad the character has been quite abused since those days… really only ever got enjoy her in BiTF in recent years...
After Bandana Dee, I don't think there is an important tier of other characters that need to get in before her. There are characters that are of equal merit, maybe even a little bit more- but no one where it'd be "wrong" for them to be added after her.

All veterans return
Chance- 0.5%
There's more cut veterans left than amount of additional characters I think we'll get. And some of them are just too unlikely.
- Young Link with Toon Link
- Three more Pokemon
- Ice Climber technical issues
Maybe some of these obstacles could be overcome, but… all of them?
Want- 50%
Cuts are sad, and there are characters I miss. But it really probably isn't worth the development time.

Young Link Predictions- 7%
Not really sure why we are doing this… was there some big news that affects him that I missed?
Jill Predictions- 6.5%
Nominations:

Porky x3
New Star Fox Character revealed around Star Fox Wii U release x2

Sid-cada

Smash Lord
Adeleine

Chance - 0.12% - Two games, long ago, that has been getting a few references, she's struggling to remain here. While she has a dedicated fan base, in the end I don't think it's enough to overcome her competition even within her own series in comparison to juggernauts like Bandanna Dee, Magolor, Dark Matter, and possibly even Galatica Knight.

Want - 25% - She's OK, but when it comes to Kirby Characters besides Dee, I want Dark Matter over just about everyone else. I don't care for her, admitidly.

All Veterains

Chance - 0% - Not counting Ice Climbers and Snake, Pichu and Young Link are in so little demand that putting them in would probably be more costly than giving them a new character that people will actually be excited for one people learn they are in. Add on the fact we probably aren't even going to get enough slots for DLC that can even mach the number of cuts... yep, no way.

Want - 40% - While Wolf, Snake and Ice Climbers being cut hurt, I can live without the rest necessarily. Honestly, at some point you have to let some characters go to let the roster grow.

Predictions

Young Link - 5.65% - Going way down. I would think.

Jill - 1.89% - Capcom already has enough...

Nominations
Secondary Ballot X5

Sari

Editing Staff
Writing Team
NNID
Villager49
Switch FC
SW-2215-0173-2152
Adeleine chance/want: Abstain

All veterans returning

Chance: .01%

Ice climbers and Pokémon Trainer won't be coming back due to technical issues and Snake probably won't either because of Konami right now. Wolf will most likely return but the other veterans don't have much of a strong following as he does.

Want: 50%

It'd be nice to have them back but I'd rather have new fighters made instead.

Young Link Prediction: 7.61%
Jill Prediction: 0.89%

Delzethin

Character Concept Creator
NNID
Delzethin
*looks out of bunker*

No firefights yet? Phew. So far, so good...

--

Adeleine

Chance: 4%
A minor character in the Kirby series, Adeleine hasn't made many appearances lately. That off the bat hasn't helped her as far as recognition goes, as what support she has barely makes a blip on the radar and doesn't seem to be growing whatsoever.

That isn't to say something couldn't happen, but there'd need to be some impressive things done...like, say, on the level of painting something and then having it come to life.

Not that she's a dull character. Though her moveset would take some work to make...work, there's a bit of potential there as a summoner character of some kind. Personally, though, I have my sights elsewhere.

Concept: All Veterans Return

Chance: 0.25%
Hoo boy. So to get an idea of the chance of every veteran returning, we need to look at the ones that remain.

:wolf:: Heavily requested, with his home series returning to relevance in just a few months, and with a moveset based on that of Fox, but with enough variance that some question if he's even a semi-clone.

...And there's where the easy ride stops. Every other remaining veteran has issues limiting their chances, some more than others.

:popo:: Initially planned to be in, but technical limitations made them non-viable in the 3DS version, and were axed from the Wii U version since Sakurai was on point about wanting the rosters to be the same. The dev team tried to make them work despite it, but was unsuccessful. The current team is smaller, meaning they're that much less capable of solving the issue. Attempting to get them working in the 3DS version would be a huge risk that could easily backfire and leave them with nothing to show for the time spent. If the team can only stay together for "so long", would they rather focus on characters that don't have that inherent risk?

:snake:: Fresh from the presses, Konami continues to fall even further. The company is now outright refusing to associate with Hideo Kojima, and Kojima Productions is outright disbanding once Metal Gear Solid 5 is finished. Kojima is a long time friend of Sakurai's, and Snake's inclusion in Brawl was his idea. Now Konami has blacklisted him, given him no reason to want to collaborate with them, and how likely is it that Sakurai would go behind his friend's back?

:squirtle: :ivysaur:: Have fewer issues than everyone else on this list, arguably. Squirtle's moveset would feel a little redundant when Greninja does so much more with the water-user concept, but Roy showed the developers apparently don't care. Their problem lies in having lesser support than the previously mentioned characters--in fact, looking around, Sceptile seems to be the most requested Pokémon, not either of these two!

:pichumelee:: Speaking of not being requested, this guy has his niche in Japan (Anyone in the know, does it have to do with anything other than being a Melee vet?) but is disliked nearly everywhere else for being an intentionally bad clone of Pikachu. Extremely polarizing and risky.

:younglinkmelee:: Has the lowest support base of any of them, mostly due to his successor. Toon Link takes the niche Young Link had and does so much more with it that most feel Young Link is completely unnecessary now.

Each of these veterans (other than Wolf) carry so many issues on their own that I'd be surprised if any other than Wolf made it now. But for all of them to make it despite those issues? About as likely as someone winning a Melee national with a low tier character.

You're reading that right. My first zero.

Here's the perspective I'm coming from. The Smash Ballot is a truly impressive turn of events. Even if not every character may eventually be considered, even though we don't know how many characters they'll eventually pull from it, the fact that we actually have a say in who we want to see join the ranks is a really big deal. There're all of these characters that have been overlooked before, some that maybe fell out of relevance at a bad time, some whose windows of prominence came too late for one Smash game and too early for the next, maybe some who were just outclassed by others and weren't considered high enough priority. These new, fresh, interesting characters that had no chance before now have a chance.

So to take that opportunity...and focus only on characters who've already been in Smash before? Many of whom have compelling reasons for why now isn't their time? Some of whom are outright disliked now? To bring them in just because of seniority, indirectly lowering the chances of all the newcomers out there as each veteran that returns brings us closer to possibly reaching that point when they say "alright, I think that's enough"...

...It'd be a wasted opportunity.

For everyone still hanging on to a former veteran, I bet there's at least one of these potential newcomers they're interested in. So why throw out so much potential just because some people can't let go of the past?

Young Link Rerate Prediction: 16.25%
Something tells me this won't end up much lower than before. Even though the promotion argument is all but gone, there'll be some who focus on Roy and argue they can declone Young Link to make the skeptics happy.

Even though the likely reason Roy became a semi-clone was because they used his leftover Brawl plans.

Jill Valentine Prediction: 2.13%

A third Capcom character, from a struggling franchise that hasn't been prominent on Nintendo in years? I feel bad for her already...

Nominations: Delphox x5

ShinyRegice

Smash Lord
Adeleine chances: 0.14%
For what I understand she doesn't hold much weight as a potential Kirby representative, only being relevant to a few games... in a series with a recurring main cast and an ever-changing cast of side characters, she simply does not have the power to represent the Kirby series as a whole. Also, the obvious competiton from Bandanna Dee...

Adeleine want: 25%
Not much against, but I have no connection with her and no real reason to care about her. Only giving her the benefit of the doubt.

-----

All cut characters returning chances: 0.2%
With the relatively high number of missing veterans which could very potentially go over the number of remaining characters we're actually getting at this point, some of them suffering from huge issues (especially the Ice Climbers), and the sheer competition coming from many potential newcomers (and considering the ballot we're pretty much guaranteed to get at least a few newcomers), it's an extremely unlikely outcome unless there's a sheer number of remaining characters.

All cut characters returning want:
:wolf: Despite the fact I wasn't that much of a Wolf fan in Brawl it'd be a shame to lose him forever. He definitely has the kind of star power you're looking for when choosing characters for Smash. I fully expect him to be revealed at some point this year.
:icsmelee::popo: Getting them back would be nice, but they weren't exactly among my favourite characters to play as and considering the sacrifices they would need to come back, like being version exclusive or having their unique mechanics heavily reworked, I'd rather not have them back for SSB4. I'm already mad about DLC characters not getting custom moves to begin with (something's telling me that they'll be added in the last update before the release of each of their respective amiibos but I'm ready to be disappointed once again) and I don't want to see even more sacrifices for one specific character.
:squirtle::ivysaur: It'd be nice to get them back, Squirtle in particular was fun to play as, but I can live without them.
:snake: I saw him as a one-time guest and was expecting him to be cut, but he was fun to play as and I wouldn't object if he returned.
:younglinkmelee: I see Toon Link as a redesigned and renamed Yound Link and I'd rather not have a third Link. That would be outright redundant at this point.
:pichumelee: I suppose he's supposed to be a joke character, but if he's one then it's how you don't make a joke character. For me, a joke character is an hilarious roster choice with an hilarious moveset, regardless of its viability as a fighter, and Pichu is neither. All I saw in him was a forced gen II representative inheriting directly from Pikachu's iconicness, having a Pokémon alongside its pre-evolved form on the roster felt wrong, and I hated his self-damage mechanic. I don't care if they balance him without suckiness in mind for SSB4, I don't want this terrible and redundant roster choice back.

I want Wolf back, it'd be cool to have Squirtle Ivysaur and Snake back, I don't want to see too much sacrifice with the Ice Climbers, Young Link would be boring and redundant, and I hated Pichu in Melee and wouldn't want him back. Plus I'd much rather have the likes of King K. Rool, Dixie Kong, Isaac, etc. over some of these characters.

Well, at least I suppose it'd be cool to see fans of all of these specific characters happy, so I can't just be selfish and give a 0%. Okay, I'll give a 22% want.

-----

Young Link prediction: 19.49%
Snake went up in chances when he was rerated and Roy's not a straight Marth clone anymore. I wouldn't be surprised if Young Link's chances actually increased.

Jill prediction: 2.11% 2.14%
Well, another Capcom character...
Edit: teaming up with @ WeirdChillFever WeirdChillFever because our predictions were far too close :p

Nominating:
Concept: DLC adventure mode x2
Concept: unpopular DLC character x2
(Rerate) Playable newcomer: Rayman x1

Last edited:
Adeleine
Chance: 0.1%

All veterans returning
Chance: 0% (ICs won't happen, Snake has company-related problems, and everybody else bar Wolf are not popular enough)
Want: 0% (Only Wolf and maybe Snake should be brought back. Save ICs for Smash 5)

Jill Valentine prediction: 2%

Young Link prediction: 12% (There will be overrating)

Nominations: Agumon 5x

Last edited:

WeirdChillFever

Smash Hero
All veterans return!
Chance: 2%
Okay, so while I do believe every veteran has a chance of 10% or more, the chance of even one missing is very strong.
With Snake and Ice Climbers having problems and Young Link and Pichu potentionally outright forgotten, the chances for this to happen is very small.
Even Wolf isn't a lock.

Wolf, Young Link, Ice Climbers and Snake are all cool, with the extra bonus of the others returning being nice as well.

Adeleine:
@ Iko MattOrr Iko MattOrr made a good case on how Adeleine could paint the Kirby universe to life and represent the classic era and painters
But Dark Matter or Magolor could represent all the villains, since they look so much alike.

Jill Valentine: 2.14%
Young Link: 15.7%

Nabbit x5

FalKoopa

Rainbow Waifu
BRoomer
3DS FC
1650-3685-3998
Switch FC
SW-5545-7990-4793
ALL VETERANS RETURN:

First of all, before I give my ratings, let's calculate the expected rating by multiplying the individual chances of the veterans from the chance chart:
:wolf: 93.04%
:snake: 30.71%
:squirtle: 26.91%
:ivysaur: 26.44%
:popo: 21.26%
:younglinkmelee: 17.99%
:pichumelee: 17.54%

Multiplying, 0.9304 × 0.3071 × 0.2691 × 0.2644 × 0.2126 × 0.1799 × 0.1754 = 0.001364 (approx.)

Or, in percentage, 0.136%. Tiny, isn't it?
Let's see how the average matches up with this.

Now for my ratings.
CHANCE: 0%
It really doesn't make sense to bring back all of them considering some don't have a lot of demand (:younglinkmelee:), while another is flat-out impossible to being back without destroying their gimmick (:popo:). It's a poor business decision, especially as there are many newcomers who are far more popular and would be rewarding.

WANT: 0%
I can do without Young Link and Pichu returning, really. A newcomer would have me far more interested.
ADELEINE:
CHANCE: 1%
Being in the shadow of Bandana Dee AND Magolor isn't a good sign, honestly. HAL has simply ignored most characters from the Sakurai era, including the animal buddies, Dark Matter not making any explicit appearances and that also includes Adeleine. Even if Sakurai is in charge, he might opt fot Dark Matter instead.

WANT: 25%
I suppose I can give her this much. Even as Inklings are making a splash with their colourful guns, Adeleine does have a neat design.
:231:

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Adeleine

Chances : 6%

Want : 10%

All Veterans Return

:younglinkmelee: : A cool character that goes deep with the history of TLOZ, but sadly overtaken by :toonlink: :4tlink:. Got some hope.
:icsmelee: : Now the chances for these guys would be so much higher if Smash 4 wasn't exposed to the horrors of weak hardware that is the old 3DS system. If Smash 4 was a N3DS exclusive title then maybe they coulda had their day, but it's not now. Little hope.
:pichumelee: : A weak direct clone of Pikachu who hurts itself from its own attacks. A adorable character i wouldnt mind the return of, but many would when they put in consideration just what other Pokemon coulda taken this guys place. Little to no hope.
:pt:: No hope at all and even the community disliked the idea of this poor guy. ( i THINK! )
:ivysaur:/:squirtle: : Meh. Would rather see their fully evolved forms. ( i'm even looking at you Venusaur ) Little-Some hope.
:snake: : A beloved third party fighter, but the company that owns him is in a pickle. Some hope, better than average.
:wolf: : With Star Fox Zero's day near and high demand, his hopes are off the charts. Inevitably the next veteran fighter.

Chances : 12%

Want : 78%

Noms

Gallade X5

Predictions

Jill Valentine 4.30%
Young Link 14.32%

Last edited by a moderator:

Smasher 101

Smash Lord
3DS FC
0877-3649-6314
Switch FC
SW-7628-2111-0913
All Veterans Returning: DOUBLE ZEROES

I'm sorry, but with so many problems (Konami, Ice Climbers' gimmick, three Pokémon, a third Link, at least seven more DLC slots (I highly doubt we'll get that much), several veterans with little demand...) in one concept, I see this as impossible. Individually, each one has at least a small chance. Together, it's not happening.

The concept gets a zero purely because I don't want Young Link back. A more different (and IMO better) version is already on the roster, a third Link would feel really redundant; at least the Fire Emblem characters don't look really similar. I don't like the idea of a unique Young Link either.

Otherwise, I'd actually be somewhat interested in the remaining six all returning. I don't really like cuts, and all six, even Pichu, have a little something different to offer. That said, the only ones I really want back either for DLC or Smash 5 are Wolf and Ice Climbers. The rest I don't mind being left behind for their own reasons. I'd also want a few more newcomers for DLC rather than it bringing back mostly veterans. So that want score would still be low.

Adeleine's chances: 0.5%

In the shadow of characters like Bandana Dee and Magolor. I don't think she has enough going for her to get past those two.

Like her as a character, but don't think she belongs in Smash.

Young Link Rerate prediction: 11.88%
Jill Valentine prediction: 5.10%

Nominations: Mallo x5

Double0Groove

Smash Ace
Madeline

With what @ Iko MattOrr Iko MattOrr said, it's very easy to understand where Madeline stands in regards to the ballot, she may be popular within the Kirby fanbase( maybe) but if the support for her inclusion can't even keep up with the dust of Waddle D's support, then she stands no hope of entering.

Want: 30%
The only Kirby game I've ever played was Kirby's air-ride. I have no connection with this character whatsoever, the reason for this score rating was just because I was convinced that she could be a great addition to the roster.

All vets returning

All of them aren't returning, some might, but not all.

Want:38%(?)
I don't know, I just want Snake back, and I think that Wolf's return would be cool. If at all possible, I'd like Pokemon Trainer to have his own moveset that isn't entirely dependant on pokemon. Ice Climbers... Well they have their fans, I'm not among them( although I'm not opposed to their return). I don't care about the rest.

Nomination: New Mii fighter class

For using that clip you automatically win the internet. Also unfortunately you're just a little too late to vote for Hades ): Also there is a glorious Hades thread that you can get to by clicking the godly pictures in my signature. And that goes for anyone that is interested.

EDIT heres the link:http://smashboards.com/threads/the-...-now-with-a-fabulous-moveset-analysis.376114/
No rewards are necessary, it was just something that had to be done. Plus, it IS unfortunate that I missed the dead-line by a mere 11 minutes, but I'm not gonna complain about it. Thanks for the link!

Top Bottom