• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Rate their Chances: the DLC Edition. Day: 192: The final day

Roaring Salsa

A dragon never yields
Slime

Chance: 10%
He's the face of Dragon Quest, one of the most important JRPGs of all time, Sakurai is a fan of the series so he might think of something creative. I'd say the biggest thing holding him back is his really low support in the ballot (Crono is probably the most voted Square character affiliated with Nintendo.)

Want: 65%
If one doubts of his moveset potential, by just taking a look at his spinoff games and the many species of Slime that exist, a moveset can be easily created. I imagine him as a character I'd enjoy using.

Nominations
Tingle x5

BandanaWaddleDee

Smash Lord
NNID
bdon25
3DS FC
1633-4187-3079
Switch FC
2967-5142-5603
Slime
Chance: 4%
Want: 30%

Bub/Bob Prediction: .75%

Nominations:
Shy Guy x3
Young Cricket x2

BluePikmin11

Akko is my dear daughter!
NNID
blue
Slime Chance:
5%
Slime may be one of the most iconic SQ characters out there and may be from the most iconic Square franchise, but he has one huge problem to that nullifies his chances from getting higher.

The Slime we all know and recognize is known... to just attack and that's it really.
Sakurai might not find Slime's potential at all unless he's a big DQ fan. He lacks any unique inherited characteristics that can make for a unique character. If he's going to through many hoops to get a third party character, they should at least offer something that stands out gameplay-wise and not just visually to get in the game.

And he's not something I can see being picked pre-ballot wise nor ballot wise (lack of notable votes for him) because of his lack of uniqueness. There are characters like an FF character or Bravely Default character that would probably get picked over Slime. I don't feel confident in his chances at all.

Nominations:
x5 All Veterans Return

DjinnandTonic

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
0619-5629-0198
Slime:
Chance: 2% Slimes are great and all but this feels like a pipe dream. Maaaaaaybe in a theoretical Smash 5 if SquareEnix and Nintendo decide to team up and just make a Smash X Dissidia title or something. But I doubt we will be seeing a major third party addition like Square as DLC at this point.

Want: 100%. God I love this little guy. More enemy characters!

Noms: Black Shadow x5

Thelimomon

Smash Journeyman
- Slime -

Chance: 2%

Want: 20%

To be honest, I never played a Dragon Quest game so I'm probably not the perfect judge for him, but I know that he is very popular.
I rated the "want" section rather low here, because there are just so, so, so, so, so, SO, so, so, soooo, so, so, so many Nintendo characters I'd like to have in, before an army of thousands of third-party characters.
Yet, I wouldn't be mad if he gets in, because he seems like he could make a fun character.
I mean, just look at this happy little guy:

Bub/Bob Prediction: 3%

Nominations: 1x King Boo, 2x Mother Brain, 2x Viruses (Dr. Mario)

Last edited:

Fire_Voyager

Smash Journeyman
Rating characters like :

Just Kidding guys... have fun with this rating game...

Last edited:

Yomi's Biggest Fan

See You Next Year, Baby
NNID
Takamaru64
3DS FC
1375-7346-9605
Switch FC
SW-8277-6509-2593
Please excuse the half***ed length since I have some important matters to deal with now.

Chance: 5%
Want: 50%

Nominate: Style Savvy x5

Bub Prediction: 5%

colder_than_ice

Smash Lord
Slime
Chance: 0% (rounded down) - It's somewhat iconic sure, but if Square Enix were to get a character, they'd probably push for something much bigger. Slime is definitely not highly requested at all.
Want: 70% - Just because.

Bub Bob prediction: 2%

Nominations: Azura x5

DAY OVER
PLEASE WAIT WHILE I CALCULATE THE RESULTS

colder_than_ice

Smash Lord
SLIME
CHANCE: 3.31%
WANT: 26.25%
Next up we're rating Bub and/or Bob of Bubble Bobble fame. Also please predict what score Meowth will get tomorrow.

JBRPG

Smash Journeyman
to PK_Wonder

By the way, what happened to the updated nominated list? We have not yet included Slime nor Bub or Bob

Bub/Bob - Taito's common mascot

Chance:

10%

Let's face it, while the games have decent presence on Nintendo Systems, the last major release title was Bubble Bobble Plus for Wiiware. Additionally, the series had a few games that were not handled quite well, especially when it came to Bubble Bobble Evolution, Rainbow Island Evolution for PSP, and Bubble Bobble Revolution and Rainbow Island Revolution for Nintendo DS, due to a mixture of ideas that strayed away on what made the games special as well as minor to moderate levels of polish that still needed work.

Also we can assume that it is within low sales range, some titles having around 300k units, effectively having a niche status or low-priority titles.

Despite the major downsides of the chances, there is only one significant hope:
Good cult following - Since the first game had all the attention of game design studies along with sequels that explore a little more of bubble bobble series with Bubble Symphony and Bubble Memories, which are not ever released to Nintendo Consoles, along with Bubble Bobble Part 2 for NES, it brings up a good deal of source materials to translate it into a viable fighter.

Want: 20%

While I do not care about its presence for future smash games and being a very low to no priority character, the only thing that makes me care is the source material that translates to unique game mechanics.

Bub/Bob can use bubbles to trap opponents temporarily or use them as temporary platforms. Rainbows and parasols can be complementary to a collection of signature moves. There are also plenty of items that can be translated into attack moves. It is also possible to summon a more powerful attack with a bubble launcher, coming from Puzzle Bobble / Bust-a-Move. It is also possible to use the damage meter to determine elemental attacks or some other system unique to the character.

More resources:

Game design analysis
http://www.denofgeek.us/games/bubbl...g-bubble-bobble-the-greatest-co-op-video-game

Useful website for all info related to bubble bobble
http://tjasink.com/games/bb/
http://strategywiki.org/wiki/Bubble_Bobble

Prediction:
Meowth - 9%

Nomination: Serperior x 5

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Bub and Bob...

As a duo, i think they have near abstain chances ( 5% ) only due to the IC Situation. Would i want them? Sure, i wouldnt mind since i have familiarity with the game. ( 45% )

Bub himself though i think has a way better chance at about ( 14+% ) chance. Want is up by 3 ( 48% )
And he can have a alt color based of Bob himself. Easy as that.

Noms : Black Shadow X5

Prediction for Meowth : 31+ total score
Well known character in the anime, but the chances he has are low given that he appears in Smash games as a pokeball pokemon.

Last edited by a moderator:
D

Deleted member

Bub/Bob

Chance: Negligible (Approximately 0%)

Even if Square Enix weren't so strict with their characters, the stars of Bubble Bobble, Rainbow Islands, and Puzzle Bobble suffer fierce competition against big names like Final Fantasy and Dragon Quest.

Want: Abstain

I know of Bubble Bobble and the like, but not enough to have an opinion on Bub and Bob.

Prediction: Meowth - 5%

Nomination: Snake x5

Chandeelure

Bandana Brigade Captain
-Bub/Bob:
Chances: 1%
Want: 0%

-Nominations: !Rerate Chibi Robo X5

Ganon, Slime, Bob, Meowth, Owain, Shin Megami Tensei character...

At this point we are just rating characters with no chances, can we rate two per day, please?

LIQUID12A

Smash Modder
NNID
LIQUID12A
3DS FC
0877-1606-0815
Bub, you just made him angrier.

Chance: 1%

I don't believe that any character is devoid of chances unless they are in a situation where they would logically have no chances at all. Same goes for Wolverine's catchphrase Bub over here.

Want: 5%

I've played their games and I have no idea how they would work.

Meowth prediction: 4%

Nominate: Sylux x5

FancySmash

Smash Lord
Bub and Bob

Chance
5% - Bub and Bob have it a bit rough. I've given them the 5% just because their designs easily fit in with Nintendo's cast. They have competition from Final Fantasy and Dragon Quest to get in before. Being third party is also damaging to their chances, as with four in the game already, we've doubled what we had in Brawl. On a note that has nothing to do with their chances, does anyone else remember the Bubble Yoshi from New Super Mario Bros. U when talking about these guys?

Want
20% - Appearance wise, they are more unique than a Dragon Quest or Final Fantasy character (unless said Final Fantasy character happens to be the mysterious looking, shrouded Black Mage), and I'd easily welcome them to the roster before another generic Anime esque Human. Sorry if that sounds a bit offensive, but we have at this point Shulk, the Fire Emblem cast, etc., many Human characters at this point get a bit dull, I'd just like to see more imagination in the roster is all. Anyways, only 20% because I'm not deeply attached to the duo, but I could grow to like them.

Predictions: Meowth - Wha-? I-I-I did it, I got Meowth to this point! I don't really expect his chances to be astronomical, but his want... I'd just like to see where that lies. 7%

Nominations:
Vaati X5

ShinyRegice

Smash Lord
Bub and Bob chances: 0.01%
A super niche and obscure series not owned by Nintendo getting playable representation in Smash? It'd need a miracle to happen.

Bub and Bob want: 0%
And I don't want to see this miracle happen. They're far too random as a playable character choice for my tastes; considering their obscurity and the fact they're not Nintendo characters, they should be an afterthought of an afterthought at most.

Meowth prediction: 4.12%
Already a Poké Ball summon, but its iconicness will save it from an absolutely miserable score.

Nominating:
Playable newcomer: Tetrimino x5

CaptainAmerica

Smash Master
NNID
TomOfHyrule
:bubblebobble:

Want 0%
Sorry it's not much today, but look at yesterday, add in a heaping helping of obscurity, and you've got it. Next!
Meowth: 2.5%

Nom: Classic mode x5

Fire_Voyager

Smash Journeyman
Bub
/ Bob
as a MONO character with an Alternative Costume with a name... like Olimar/Alph

Yeah!, this is my day... So please, don't count my ratings in the total... I'm just posting to say what I think, if you want to read it, go ahead and I hope you have fun...

Chances: 5%
I know they have really low chances to be in the game, they didn't even have a lot of fan art for them to be in Smash. But being the mascot of Taito, a little company that use them for everything. They have an interesting History, being humans in dragon form, having sequel games that continue their Story, being the heroes from the Rainbow Island:
Bubble Bobble→ Rainbow Island→ Parasol Star→ Bubble Memories→ Bubble Symphony→Bubble Bobble Part 2 (With their sons) and Puzzle Bubble/Bust-A-Move.
Every game have his own gameplay mechanics. everything fine and dandy... they even have this icon here :bubblebobble:
BUT, their are owned by Square Enix, and having to "compete" to Final Fantasy characters is hard...
So, I just want to know your ratings for the "Want"...

Want: 100%
I voted for them for a lot of time, so, what can I say? I draw/write a Little moveset, and I'm proud of it... hehe... I feel like the guy of Unravel in the E3... =S

They have a cute and extensive lore, with a lot of games to look for a good moveset. Having projectiles (bubbles, rainbows, stars), being cappable to capture proyectiles or reflect them (with a parasol), but being light and small makes me look at them like if Jigglypuff stole a Starfox's like moveset.
Being retro and Cute, and generaly close to Nintendo is a plus in my eyes.

so yeah, I don't want to bore you if you are reading. I just want to listen if you remember these fun guys.
(they have a free Puzzle Bubble game in LINE, Android and the iOS, give it a try)

Meowth:052:
Prediction: 6%

Noms:
Bomberman x 5

I can't even get how "no one" has voted for him.

Well, See ya!

AreJay25

May or May Not Be Pac-Man
Bub and Bob

Chance: 0%
Yeah no. They're rather obscure nowadays, and haven't had a game in a LONG time.

Want: 40%
I've enjoyed their games, and they could have a pretty fun moveset. However, they're not exactly my most wanted third party characters.

Prediction
Meowth: 2%
Meowth, that's not right...

NintenRob

Rising YouTuber
NNID
trpdm.wilton
Bub
/ Bob
as a MONO character with an Alternative Costume with a name... like Olimar/Alph

Yeah!, this is my day... So please, don't count my ratings in the total... I'm just posting to say what I think, if you want to read it, go ahead and I hope you have fun...

Chances: 5%
I know they have really low chances to be in the game, they didn't even have a lot of fan art for them to be in Smash. But being the mascot of Taito, a little company that use them for everything. They have an interesting History, being humans in dragon form, having sequel games that continue their Story, being the heroes from the Rainbow Island:
Bubble Bobble→ Rainbow Island→ Parasol Star→ Bubble Memories→ Bubble Symphony→Bubble Bobble Part 2 (With their sons) and Puzzle Bubble/Bust-A-Move.
Every game have his own gameplay mechanics. everything fine and dandy... they even have this icon here :bubblebobble:
BUT, their are owned by Square Enix, and having to "compete" to Final Fantasy characters is hard...
So, I just want to know your ratings for the "Want"...

Want: 100%
I voted for them for a lot of time, so, what can I say? I draw/write a Little moveset, and I'm proud of it... hehe... I feel like the guy of Unravel in the E3... =S

They have a cute and extensive lore, with a lot of games to look for a good moveset. Having projectiles (bubbles, rainbows, stars), being cappable to capture proyectiles or reflect them (with a parasol), but being light and small makes me look at them like if Jigglypuff stole a Starfox's like moveset.
Being retro and Cute, and generaly close to Nintendo is a plus in my eyes.

so yeah, I don't want to bore you if you are reading. I just want to listen if you remember these fun guys.
(they have a free Puzzle Bubble game in LINE, Android and the iOS, give it a try)

Meowth:052:
Prediction: 6%

Noms:
Bomberman x 5

I can't even get how "no one" has voted for him.

Well, See ya!
Why don't you want your score counted? The chance is fairly reasonable and you can want him as much as you want.

Chance:
0%
Obscure third party = laughter

Want
0% Obscure third party = no

Nominations = All veteans retruning x5

predictions + Meowth = 5.5%

Sid-cada

Smash Lord
Bub and Bob

Chance - 0% - Sorry, but even if Square-enix was going to have two characters, they don't stand a chance compared to the juggernauts that are Dragon Quest and Final Fantasy.

Want - 45% - Eh. Not terrible, but as a third party there are many I would take first.

Meowth Prediction - 4.24% - Badly overshadowed.

Nominations
Karate Joe X4
Secondary Ballot X1

Last edited:

Yomi's Biggest Fan

See You Next Year, Baby
NNID
Takamaru64
3DS FC
1375-7346-9605
Switch FC
SW-8277-6509-2593
:4mario:: "Hey I've told you to take care of those Double Dragon banana heads! What's the matter with you?"

:4sonic:: "I know, I've ****ed up, but I did murder those two guys from Bubble Bobble sooooo...."

:4mario:: "What the **** is a Bubble Bobble? I never told you to do that!"

Bub/Bob

Chance: 4%

They may have good history with Nintendo, but their games are far too obscure. Then there's the fact that Square are strict with their characters and they would rather use something form their flagship franchises (Final Fantasy, Kingdom Hearts, and Dragon Quest). And most third parties normally don't get the leeway unless they're iconic and these two double bubble blowing babies don't really cut it. The lack of ballot support also kills them since as the joke implied, they aren't that well known with most gamers today.

Want 15: %

I love Bubble Bobble and all, but there are a few other Sqaure characters I'd have before them (even the likes of freaking Geno). If I want a playstyle based on puzzles, then that's where Arle Nadja from Puyo Puyo comes in since she at least has plenty of ballot support in Japan.

Meowth Prediction: 3%

Nominations: Style Savvy x5

Delzethin

Character Concept Creator
NNID
Delzethin
I'm in a decent amount of pain at the moment, so I'll keep this brief.

--

Bub / Bob

Chance: 2%
Hailing from the series known as Bubble Bobble, among other names, Bub and Bob are humans-turned dragons tasked with using the powers said forms provide to clear screen after screen of enemies. Their powers offer some semblance of a moveset, so they have that going for them...

...And you know where this is headed. The third party characters we've had so far have been icons, and these two...aren't. While no video game character is technically out of the running, being obscure and from a third party comes close. Having next to no ballot support does something similar, which only hurts them worse.

I guess you could say any opportunity they had disintegrated into ash they way they do whey they touch an enemy in some versions of their games?

As per usual. I really need to expand my repertoire here...

Meowth Prediction: 2.75%
Take all of Gengar's flaws, subtract the loss of signature move to a different character, add being a summon already...and the result won't be pretty even if any supporters skew it.

Nominations: Absol x5

Last edited:

Erureido

Smash Hero
NNID
Erureido
3DS FC
5301-1552-4121
Switch FC
SW-4754-8756-2004

Bub/Bob are from a Square Enix franchise that isn't very well known compared to Final Fantasy or Dragon Quest. The fact they are third party characters and Square Enix being strict about who they want to include hurts their chances even further. However, due to the fact they have appeared on Nintendo platforms and having a strong cartoon design that would work well with the Smash Bros roster, his chances aren't zero in my opinion.

I hardly know the Bubble/Bobble games (you can even tell considering I didn't write a lot regarding their chances), so I can't say much else whether or not I want to see them included.

Predictions:
Meowth (Pokemon): 6.32%

Nominations:
Jean Descole (Professor Layton): x3
Gallade (Pokemon): x2

HotNTasty

Smash Apprentice
Bub/Bob

Chance: >1% A third party whose support I have only seen on smashboards and even the is virtually nonexistent.

Want:0% No... Just No.

Zerp

Formerly "ZeroSoul"
Administrator
Writing Team
Bub and Bob

Chances: 2 % As other's have mentioned they aren't Square's biggest reps, and they are very obscure, you'd think they'd push for a Final fantasy character before Bub and Bob.

Not to mention all the third parties so far have been gaming legends that literally revolutionized the market, I very much doubt the sanity of anyone who places Bub and Bob at the same level as Sonic, PacMan, Snake, Ryu and Mega Man.

Want: 0% I'd rather someone far more deserving get in before these two, sorry bubs, but you can't make the cut, and I'd be peeved if such a obscure third Party character got in before someone as deserving as the likes of King K. Rool, Bandana Dee or Isaac..

Predictions: Meowth, that's right! 4% I an't see him getting that high of a rating being a pokeball mon despite how major of a character he is.

Nominations: Dark Matter x 5

Last edited:

WeirdChillFever

Smash Hero
Bub,, Bob and Bib (Seriously, where are my non-Koopaling Bowser Jr. alts?)
Chance: 3%
Hey, they're retro, silly choices..
*reads thread further*
And third party.
Not happening.

Want: 40%
Dinosaws!!1I
And Bubbwles!

Both worth 20% deal with it.

"Ooh, did I win"

Nabbit x10

Meowth: 6.14%
And I hope that's right.

Aetheri

W/E happens don't panic...
Switch FC
SW-3397-5428-2304
:bubblebobble:Bubble Bobble

Like Slime, they are Square Enix property which is a bit of a hindrance in itself for any character since Square's pretty stingy usually with lending out their characters, Unlike Slime however, they are actually primrary playable characters within their series, but they are also not really as iconic or popular as the Water Droplets...
One thing we have seen so far with Third Parties...is that they need to be something special...these guys aren't...

----

Want: 0%
Like I said....they're nothing special...As I stated before there are more worthy Square Enix characters out there, and I would much rather prefer, almost any of them...

----

Prediction: 4.7%
:052:Meowth

DAAAT'S RIGHT!!!
Probably the most iconic pokemon that isn't playable, who's pretty much had his chance back in 64 but someone else (:039:) was favoured over him...
Not too mention he's a summon...

----

Nominations:
Concept: DLC Adventure Mode x3 (Pokemon Campaign, you start off in a simple route as you probably end up getting pestered by :016: and :019:, then you find yourself in caves with:041: fluttering about, and :074: that explode when you get too close...then in a sandy desert with Canceas, :027:, Maractus, and Flygons, through snowy drifts with Obamasnows, Crygonals, :220: and :215:, mountainous regions with :246:, Druddigons, and a fat :143: that requires a poke flute to be tossed at it in order for it to wake up and move aside, until you make your way up Sky Pillar while encountering:092:, :202:, :200: and :201a: until reaching the top where you meet the Emerald Dragon, Rayquaza, with his new and improved Mega Form, I might add!!!....oh and you find poke-balls and can throw it and catch pokemon that you can use to fight other pokemon as you're travelling...because that would be pretty frikking awesome; and perhaps some areas aren't accessible unless you capture certain pokemon, perhaps you have to cross a lake and are required to capture a :131: in a cave first and then surf on it to cross that lake...man there is way too much potential just with the Pokemon campaign)
!Rerate: Impa x1
Sylux x1

Last edited:

Strider_Bond00J

Smash Champion
Switch FC
SW-2525-8699-9095
Bub & Bob. :bubblebobble:
Chance: 1.2%
Similar things that I said about Slime could apply for these guys. They've got too much third party competition, as well as all-star competition such as King K and Isaac - not to mention general obscurity.

They are cute, I will say that - even though I've never played their game.
:052: Prediction: 5%
This will be similar to Gengar's day.

Nominations: Sylux X5

DjinnandTonic

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
0619-5629-0198
Bub and/or Bob:
I think we are in agreement. Unsupported, ancient, low-move set potential, third party, competing with better dinosaur type characters, already one character was cut due to partner mechanics... There's just nothing to boost their chances.

Want: 1%
I don't have anything against them, they're cute. But I wouldn't want them in over better third party options.

Meowth: 3.8% prediction

Nom: Black Shadow x 2
Rerate Impa x3

Last edited:

FalKoopa

Rainbow Waifu
BRoomer
3DS FC
1650-3685-3998
Switch FC
SW-5545-7990-4793
BUB & BOB:
CHANCE: 1%

Being a third party is enough to put a dampener on their chances, and add to that they're retros best known from their arcade days. And Square Enix wasn't already involved in the game, so that hurts them further.

WANT: 5%
I remember playing the DOS version waaay back, when most machines ran Windows 98, CDs were a novelty, Floppy disks were still around, and all your data could fit neatly in a 20 GB hard disk.

All things said, I don't have much of a connection to them, so I don't have a reason to want them playable.

MEOWTH PREDICTION: 3%
Already a Pokéball, too many Gen I's, leading role in anime, what have you.

ASHLEY x 5

:231:

Bub bob bab beb
Chance 0%
Not to pop anyone's bubble but this guy/guys stand no chance. i had no idea these guys were 3rd party. Even if they werent this would still be 0. Super obscure with no ballot support. Add square having other stuff to offer and its really obvious where the problems lie.

Want 0%
no connections whatsoever.

Prediction 9 lives. 9%

Noms
agnes oblige 5
another square character with no chance :awesome:

Troykv

Smash Master
Bub/Bob.... A Character that I can give a really low Chance...

Chance: 0.1%

What the hell are this guys?... Taito? That company now owned for Square Enix? The same people than don't share their characters?

Want: 25%

I don't think that this is a good idea.

Prediction: Meowth

Nominations:

Rerate! Snake x5

Nimbostratus

Smash Journeyman
Bub, Bob
Chance- 0.5%
Everything I said about about Slime just amplified a tinge.
Want- 2.5%
I guess they're kind of fun to look at… but I just don't have any connection with the characters.

Meowth Predictions- 5%
Nominations:

Crono x5

Scamper52596

Smash Lord
Premium
Bub or Bob
Chance: 0.3%
Abstain from explanation. I'll give the twin dragons a score of 0.3%.
They're just not likely characters at all...

Want: 0.5%
Abstain from explanation.

Prediction - Meowth: 3.9%

Nominations:
x5 Tails the Fox

Top Bottom