• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Rate their Chances: the DLC Edition. Day: 192: The final day

StormC

Smash Hero
Alright, quick and dirty.

Chance: 10%. Has his fans, but Advance Wars seems all but dead.
Want: 30%. Advance Wars could definitely merit representation, but I'm fairly indifferent overall.

Gengar prediction: 7%

RaenUE

Smash Cadet
NNID
RaenUE
3DS FC
0705-3752-9517
Andy
Chance: 5%
A decent amount of moveset potential (summoning units and whatnot), and being a relatively popular main character are severely hampered by the franchise being all but dead. The ballot's the only real shot I see him having, and the support I've seen could be a bit stronger.

Want: 20%
Not my first pick for an Advance Wars rep, not my first pick for a summoner fighter.

Gengar prediction: 6.4%

Nomination:
*Concept: (Shin) Megami Tensei Character (includes Persona & Devil Survivor) x5

colder_than_ice

Smash Lord
Expect a very late update today, I'm going to be busy tonight. I might not even be able to update until tomorrow.

Smasher 101

Smash Lord
3DS FC
0877-3649-6314
Switch FC
SW-7628-2111-0913
Andy's chances: 5%

Has his fans and Wars isn't a small series, but it is a dormant one, and a certain other series is clearly IS' main focus. Plus in the event that Wars got a character, it's not even guaranteed to Andy.

Want: 90%

I think a Wars character would be a really interesting inclusion. I would be equally happy with either him or Sami.

Gengar prediction: 4.59%

Nominations: Karate Joe x5

Yomi's Biggest Fan

See You Next Year, Baby
NNID
Takamaru64
3DS FC
1375-7346-9605
Switch FC
SW-8277-6509-2593
Got a fishing trip to attend and that requires more sleep. So please excuse the lack of detail in comparison to other posts.

Andy

Chance: 8%. Andy does have that cult following as does his home series. The games did have more of that Western appeal going for them unlike Fire Emblem, but it didn't stop them from selling poor. His lack of ballot support and the uncertainty of his franchise's status is what really hurts his chances.

Want: 30%. We need more soldiers and Snake isn't cutting it. So if Fire Emblrm gets all the love in Smash, then why not Advance Wars? And who wouldn't want to whack people with wrenches?

Gengar prediction: 7%

Nominations: Style Savvy x5

Last edited:

FancySmash

Smash Lord
Andy - [Insert Toy Story Joke here]

Chance
20% - Are his chances hurt because he hasn't been in a new game recently? Not necessarily. As I mentioned on the Ice Climber's re-rate, relevancy is a small token in deciding a character's chances. Sure, Ice Climbers, Duck Hunt, and Mr. Game and Watch might be retro characters, but I feel Andy would be a similar character. Think of it as a more modern retro if you will. However, what does hurt his chances is a lack of ballot support, and... I just don't see a new series being introduced as DLC, and even if we did get a new series (to Smash Bros I mean), I still see it as probably Chibi-Robo.

Want
10% - Never got into advance wars to be honest. So, I have no attachment to the character. That said, he does have move set potential. However, how much potential can he have? We already have Bowser Jr. as a mech character, seemingly taking away Andy's niche.

Prediction: Gengar - probably one of the most recognizable ghost types... but from there, he's relatively obscure to those who don't know Pokemon. 3%

Nominations: Meowth X5

Double0Groove

Smash Ace
Andy:

Chance: 10%
His following is too small, that is, if he has a following that supports him over all other characters at all.

Want: 5%
I've played an advanced wars game before, but I still don't know who this guy is...

Nomination: Sora x5

BandanaWaddleDee

Smash Lord
NNID
bdon25
3DS FC
1633-4187-3079
Switch FC
2967-5142-5603
Andy
Chance: 30%
Want: 70%

Gengar Prediction: 2.5%

Nominations:
Leon Powalski x5

StormC

Smash Hero
Hey folks, as the guy who's been nominating Ganon for a while now, luck would have it that I won't be around when he goes up. So all I wanna say is, when you're doing predictions, chances and wants for him, remember that "Beast Ganon" can apply to many different things. Due to both split timelines and radically different designs, the individual Ganons all have a pretty good claim at being unique and not having overlap with either Ganondorf or his Final Smash.

So basically, if you're thinking of Beast Ganon as a fighter, think less like this...

...and more like this...

I already sent my own post for the day to @ colder_than_ice colder_than_ice . Hope he generates an interesting discussion when his time comes!

Last edited:

colder_than_ice

Smash Lord
No ratings from me today, I just sped through the calculations.

ANDY
CHANCE: 10.59%
WANT: 49.61%
Next up we're rating Gengar and we're predicting what score the Inklings will get tomorrow. The Inklings recieved a whopping 58 nominations in the past two days which puts them at 227 nominations total.

D

Deleted member

Gengar

Chance: 0.01%

Out of all the hundreds of remaining Pokemon to choose from, why this one?

Want: 0%

Meh.

Prediction: Inkling Rerate - 20%

After that costume and trophy reveal, I'm expecting drastically lower ratings than before.

Nomination: Snake x5

Strider_Bond00J

Smash Champion
Switch FC
SW-2525-8699-9095
:094:
Gengar's chances:
3%
While Gengar would serve as an interesting choice for moveset and relevant thanks to Pokken, I don't think many people are going to clamour for Gengar given that we've a lot of Pokémon RGBY characters already, and Mewtwo is the main DLC Pokémon.

Want: 10%
Gengar has always been one of my personal favourite Pokémon since the early days, but I don't think it's that necessary an addition for Super Smash Bros - let it have the spotlight for Pokken.
Inklings tomorrow!!
Stay Fresh!!

Predictions: 20%
Well, their game is finally out, and in that time we've gotten Mii costumes and a new trophy of them. One could look at it and say their chances are stale, but I think they're still just as good, or dare I say it, better! And do I want them in Smash Bros 4 or 5 as playable characters? Of course I do.

Last edited:

Troykv

Smash Master
Gengar

Chance: Abstain

I can't rate and Pokémon character that isn't a Veteran or a Runner Up.

Want 50%

Meh :p... But I actually like its design.

Prediction: Rerate Inkling 25%

Nominations:

Rerate!Snake x5

Please someone actualizes the Nominations's Post in the First Page

Last edited:

Yokta

That's Yoktastic!
Gengar's chances: 5%
WE HAVE SIX POKEMON IN SMASH BROTHERS ALREADY, NOT TO MENTION ALL THE POKEBALLS.
Want: 5%
WE HAVE SIX POKEMON IN SMASH BROTHERS ALREADY, NOT TO MENTION ALL THE POKEBALLS.

Inkling Rerate Predict: 36%

Nominations:
Concept: DLC Alternate Costumes x4
Crash Bandicoot x1

Erureido

Smash Hero
NNID
Erureido
3DS FC
5301-1552-4121
Switch FC
SW-4754-8756-2004

Gengar is an iconic Pokemon in his series franchise, being one of the most popular Pokemon from generation 1. To this day, Gengar is still very popular. In fact, he got a Mega Evolution in Pokemon X and Y, and he is going to appear in Pokken Tournament. These two facts alone prove he is once again relevant in today's gaming world so that newer gamers can easily recognize him compared to Pokemon like Exeggutor or Hypno who have been losing relevancy over the years.

The main issue that is holding him back this time around is... well, aside from "too many Pokemon on the roster", he would bring the total number of generation 1 representatives to 5. Sure, generation 1 is arguably the most historic and nostalgic of the whole Pokemon series, but I think if Sakurai were to ever consider a new Pokemon rep, he should really focus on a Pokemon that was introduced post generation 1. Right now, we only have two non-generation 1 Pokemon reps on the roster: Lucario and Greninja. That's rather lacking if you ask me. To balance out the amount of generation 1 and post-gen 1 Pokemon, it makes sense to add another Pokemon rep not from generation 1. Two especially good candidates that give Gengar competition are Pichu, because of its veteran status for being in SSBM (not to mention he represents Generation 2, and we don't have that representation on the current Smash roster), and Sceptile, because of its high demand/relevancy with OR/AS and the fact we are yet to get a rep from Generation 3. I can name some other Pokemon that also give Gengar huge competition, but I think you catch my drift.

I feel like Gengar's inclusion in Pokken Tournament is good enough for now in terms of getting Gengar into a fighting game, but that's just me.

Want: 20%

Gengar is definitely one of my favorite generation 1 Pokemon, and I think he'd be a cool fighter on the Smash Bros roster thanks to his ghostly traits. He even looks like a good villain of some sort because of how mischevious he is, and considering how the Smash roster seems to be a bit lacking when it comes to villains, he would help boost the number of villains we currently have. However, there's a large part of me that really doesn't want to see him join the roster because we have enough representation from generation 1 already. If we were to see a new Pokemon newcomer, I want the Pokemon to come from post-generation 1.

Furthermore, the Pokemon rep I want to see get in as DLC the most is Gallade, my favorite Pokemon who is also one of my most wanted characters for DLC, because of the unique potential he brings in his fighting style and the fact he isn't a gen 1 Pokemon (I know one will bring up the argument he's a gen 4 Pokemon, and we already have Lucario for that; I understand, but Gallade comes from an evolution line that was introduced in gen 3, and he even looks very gen 3-esque). OK, maybe I shouldn't get carried away about talking about Gallade considering it's not even his day yet, but I think you understand why I talked about him here.

Predictions:
Inkling (Splatoon): 35.00%

Nominations:
Jean Descole (Professor Layton): x3
Gallade (Pokemon): x2

Last edited:

[Obnoxshush/Dasshizer]

Off floating somewhere
Gengar

Chance: 3%
We've got enough Pokemon characters.

If it weren't for the fact that there are enough Pokemon characters, this would be higher.

Predictions: Inklings re-rate 20%

Nominations: Sami X5.

Aetheri

W/E happens don't panic...
Switch FC
SW-3397-5428-2304
Pokken Releveance! I CHOOSE YOU!!!

:094:Gengar

Chance: 1.5%
Not even worth mentioning if it weren't for his inclusion in the new Pokken Tournament. But that just gives him as much incentive to be added as Machamp, Suicune, Blaziken, Gardevoir, etc...and that's not counting the veterans, Sceptile, Zoroark, amoung 700+ other pokemon to compete with...
There's also official game relevance with his added Mega Evolution which would make for an easy Final Smash, but once agian there are plenty of other pokemon that have that in their favour as well...
One thing Gengar has over most pokemon is the fact that his kin:092: is already in the 3DS version as a Smash Run enemy...but that still isn't saying much, for all we know Smash Run pokemon may have been picked at random because they do seem rather out of nowhere...I mean Koffing? Petilil? Cryogonal? Chandelure? of all the pokemon they were the ones picked as Smash Run enemies, I was almost bewildered to see these guys, I mean Koffing is somewhat understandable since it was one of Team Rocket's main pokemon from the anime but the others?...This doesn't really give him any bigger shot at making the playable roster, over other pokemon, or over other characters from other franchises because I've went this long without even mentioning Mewtwo in DLC and whether or not we'll get multiple characters from the same franchise (though Pokemon is one franchise that is definitely worth it if that 'rule' were to happen)...

He'd make for an interesting fighter (as well as hundreds of other pokemon) so his chances are just kind of there...Gengar's a long shot at best but still more of a random pick than most...

----

Want: 50%
One of my favourite pokemon admittedly (actually I like :093: better but Gengar's cool too)...I can't help but think that Gengar would make an awesome smash fighter, especially after seeing how he works in Pokken, using his tongue for various attacks, somethimes it may stun the opponent as he slaps them with his tongue...he could possibly have a Jigglypuff, meets Wario meets Robin Hypnosis/Dream Eater combo that puts the opponent to sleep then noming on their dreams while they sleep draining their health...

However, Pokemon has so many awesome characters to choose from and if I were to choose from my own personal bias discounting veterans and frontrunners, it's be Weavile (or better yet:215: who is my favourite pokemon)...

To be honest I'm fairly content with Pokemon (though adding Sceptile would be amazing if it did happen) so I'm fairly neutral to Gengar being added...I'd be stoked that he'd be added but I won't miss him if he won't because I don't REALLY want him...he'd just be cool...

----

Prediction: 52.3%
!Rerate: Inklings
Splatoon opened up with a bang and is turning out to be a success, the Mii costumes pretty much tells us they are most likely not likely to be pre-determined picks, which makes sense in a way, but at the same time...if they were pre-determined...Mii Costumes are very easy to make from actual character models and it may be just a small teaser...Also they are a top Ballot pick and there support is only going to grow with their game hitting the market...

----

Nominations:
Concept: DLC Adventure Mode x3 (Star Fox mode where you battle on top of a bunch of ships and Arwings and Wolfens and stuff until battling Andross at the end of the level...in his big ugly Bearded Monkey form...as he spits meteors and shoots lasers and stuff and swipes at you with his hands as you damage his hands, I mean a boss where you're battling his hands is fairly unique in Smash if you ask...wait a sec...)
!Rerate: Inklings (Mission Accomplished!)
!Rerate: Impa x1 (It is time to revisit Zelda's frontrunner methinks!)
Sylux x1 (not actively supporting him/it/thing (yet) but I'd like to see how the discussions go regarding the news we got from E3)

Nintendotard

Smash Lord
NNID
Mariotard
Gengar

- In relevancy, he isn't all that important, even if he was THE FIRST POKEMON TO ME SEEN IN GAME PEOPLE (and Nidorino)

- He could make for a very interesting playstyle. If I had to choose another pokemon from the 715 that we have to choose from, I choose you Gengar!:094:

Inkling Prediction: 73%

Nominations:

Crash x5

Chance: 4% (too much competition and lack of demand, although he is fairly iconic Pokemon and popular among Pokemon fans)
Want: 100% My favorite Pokemon as a child (tied with Arbok)

Inkling prediction: 21%

Nominations: Meowth 5x

Last edited:

ShinyRegice

Smash Lord
Gengar chances: 0.13%
A very popular Pokémon who happens to be the original fully evolved Ghost-type, somewhat giving him an edge of historical relevance for the series compared to many other potential candidates. But at it currently stands I doubt Gengar's star power really shines enough for serious Smash consideration, and it doesn't seem to be a justifiable choice when you consider other Pokémon like Dragonite or Scizor, as well as many others, are just on par in popularity with fans.

Gengar want: 1%
I don't dislike Gengar, but it's not a Pokémon I'm interested in playing as in Smash. I think Gengar has some real merits over many other Pokémon such as popularity, the original Ghost-type, and indirect representation of one of Pokémon's most memorable locations (Laverder Town's Pokémon Tower), but I don't think those are really enough to consider it as an actual contender. Playable Pokémon in Smash Bros. can't be just picked willy-nilly; there's a sheer amount of popular and varied characters to choose from, probably more than any other Nintendo series, and you can't just select anyone because it inevitably ends up to add too little value to the roster at some point. Also Mewtwo already uses the most iconic Ghost-type move in his Smash moveset, so eh...

Not giving a flat zero because there's no Sceptile-like annoying bandwagon for Gengar, but still a character I have no interest to play as in Smash at this point.

Inkling prediction: 38.17%
I'm curious to see the influence the Mii costume and trophy will have on their chances.

Nominating:
Playable newcomer: Tetrimino x5

Last edited:

TimidKitsune129

Falling into Infinity
NNID
TimidKitsune129
Yeah, I'm not one that believes in the whole "muh reps" thing, therefore, that's not something that I'm gonna hold against characters. I think the fact that we had four Fire Emblem characters in the main roster and got another one as DLC proves that Sakurai doesn't care about "repping" either, as much as people love bringing it up. Now then, with that out of the way...

Chance: 8%
Gengar. What can I say? It's a spookity. A pretty cool looking spookity. Gengar has always been one of the more recognizable Gen I Pokémon, and without a doubt the most recognizable Ghost type bar none. Despite being there from the beginning, it's one of the few Pokémon that never really faded into obscurity. Quite the contrary, it's still one of the more popular Pokémon among teams, and it was also among the first Pokémon to receive a Mega Evolution. Being confirmed as a fighter in Pokkén also helps. Do keep in mind though, that Gengar wasn't put in Pokkén out of the blue, just because. It was actually voted in. By the fans.

Can't really say it's an obscure Pokémon~

So why are it's chances so low? Perhaps it's because I'm bad with numbers, but it's probably more-so because I haven't seen many people pushing Gengar for the Smash ballot. Maybe people are interested in other Pokémon? *Sceptile* Who can really say~

The lack of ballot demand is what I think makes his chances low, especially with 715 other Pokémon it's competing with.

Want: 75%

One of my favorite Porkymans~

Well, not really among my absolute favorite Pokémon. He's somewhere in the Top Ten. I can never decide~

I can see it having a unique mechanic that's something along the lines of temporary intangibility or other spookity stuff. A tricky little fella it would be, I'm sure~ Either way, I wouldn't mind seeing it in Smash, though I mostly prefer another Pokémon. I wonder who it is~ ;3 *Nope, it's not Sceptile~*

Inkling Prediction: 50% - Their situation could go either way. The Mii costumes and trophy could mean absolutely nothing, or absolutely everything.

Nominations: Gardevoir x5 *Did'ya guess who it is yet?*

Last edited:

Geno Boost

Smash Master
Gengar chances 1%
Nothing helps his chances even Grovyle from PMD and Pokemon trainer/red has a better chance than him Gengar didn't do anything special in Pokemon universe also mewtwo DLC is killing all Pokemon chances to be DLC

Want 10%
He looks cool and fun but meh i prefer :ivysaur::squirtle::pt::pichumelee::pichumelee:Bros. And Grovyle from PMD

Nomination
Nester (Nintendo power mascot/nester funky bowling) x5
Donkey kong jr. X5

Last edited:

Kenith

Overkill Sarcasm
The Fabulous Friendly Super Sparkle Train
NNID
RipoffmanXKTG
3DS FC
4210-4224-9442
Gengar:

Chance: 2%. Extremely unlikely we'll get a second Pokemon character as DLC unless it's a veteran and even then the chance is very small now.
Want: 0%. Over Hawlucha, Pichu, or Grovyle? No way.

---
Nominations:
Excitebiker x5

Double0Groove

Smash Ace
Gengar:

Ye olde Pokemon from the first generation. The biggest hurdle for him is the fact that the Smash community believes that the pokemon franchise is over represented. The second biggest hurdle is the fact that he's not the grass type that a majority of pokemon fans want.

Want: 30%
I think he'd be a cool addition, but I think that about alot of pokemon. So, yeah...

Nomination: Sora x5

Leafeon523

Smash Ace
NNID
Leafeon523
3DS FC
2466-1607-7000
Way higher scores than I thought I would be seeing. Anyway,

Gengar:
Chance: .5%
Pokken Tournament plus popularity won't save him. We already have 6 Pokémon, and there are literally hundreds of other fully evolved Pokémon.

Want: 22%
There are dozens of other Pokémon that I would prefer.

Nominating Owain x5

Predicting Kid now/Squid now at 39%

JBRPG

Smash Journeyman
Gengar:

Chance: 7%

It would really make more sense to choose a starter that is not from generation 1, preferably a grass type or a pokemon with a very unique body design. For instance, Serperior has a snake-like body, but there are no fighters that have it.

Nomination: Serperior x 5

Prediction:
Inkling

Chance: 42%
Want: 53%

Last edited:

Drason

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Coke
Gengar
Want:0%
I don't want anymore Kanto till we get Hoenn and Johto
Nomination:
TalimX5(SoulCalibur) / I don't think my last nomination was counted

LIQUID12A

Smash Modder
NNID
LIQUID12A
3DS FC
0877-1606-0815
Gengar The Unfriendly Ghost

Pokemon is a huge franchise, yes, but not as big as Mario to warrant more characters. It also suffers from being a RBY Pokemon, the generation from which we have four Smash fighters. A new Pokemon should be taken from the later generations in order to add more diversity.

Okay, I love Gengar and its Mega Evolution. I'd love to see how it could be implemented.

Gengar
Chance 0%
no ballot support. huge competition. If we're getting anymore gen 1 pokemon they are going to be vets.

want 0%
maybe im just salty I never could evolve Haunter because I had no one to trade with but I never really liked this guy. He seems so bland and normal after how weird his pre-evolutions were.

prediction 30%

noms Agnes Oblige 5(sorry Storm. I tried)

D

Deleted member

The Directory has been updated.

Gengar
Chance and Want:
Double Zeroes

For chance, despite it being in Pokken, it's still one Pokemon out of many.
As for want, I like Gengar, but I rather see other Pokemon and characters first.

Inklings Prediction: 14.45%
With the Mii Fighter costumes, I think they'll get hurt.

Nominations: Owain 5x

CaptainAmerica

Smash Master
NNID
TomOfHyrule

Chance: 1%
Highly unlikely. Even if 'muhreps' aren't a thing, people will still call it out, and that's a decrease in popularity. Besides, I think everyone is getting tired of 1st gen Pokémon (personally, I prefer 1st and 2nd gen, but there are a bunch of later gens I like, and early gens that I don't). He's also got a lot of pull because of Pokken...which went unannounced at E3, despite them knowing how much other regions want it...
Besides, there are three vets that still are in limbo, two of which are 1st gen as well. Pokémon actually has the most cut veterans than any other franchise, by a long shot. Considering Sakurai hates cutting characters, is he likely to add more characters in that'll end up cut later?
Even beyond Squirtle, Ivysaur, and Pichu, there are other amazingly popular Pokémon that just got assists at best: Gardevoir, Gallade, Zoroark, Sylveon, etc. Especially in the case of Gardevoir - she's also got a Mega and appears in Pokken, so by those arguments she's superior in every way.
Want: 0%
:squirtle::ivysaur:
Inklings: 20.1%

Nom: Classic mode return x5

Sid-cada

Smash Lord
Gengar

Chance - 0.02% - Considering Pokken, this isn't exactly the most random of choices, but he's kinda out there at the moment. A bit of a fan-favorite, he has just enough popularity to be notable, but there are many more Pokemon who are more important or known than this ghastly fellow. He doesn't stand a ghost of a chance.

Want - 45% - Meh. Could be interesting, but honestly there are a lot of Pokemon out there that I would take as playable first.

Inklings Prediction - 26.64% - Gonna drop due to the trophy and costumes.

Nominations
Karate Joe X4
Secondary Ballot X1

Laniv

Smash Lord
Gengar:

The 1% is for Pokken.

Want: 30%
Smeargle please.

Predictions for Inklings: 60% Chance, 80% Want

Nominate Homecoming Hijinx x 5

Ura

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-2772-0149-6703
I'm really surprised that Andy was able to make it in the Top 20 in want. Pleasantly surprised of course. I thought he would be a character that no one cared about so that's a good sign at least.

Gengar

I don't see him as a character with solid backing to warrant him a DLC spot on the roster.

I'm not opposed to his entry to the series but I think any new rep we get from Pokemon (granted theirs any new rep from that series) should be someone outside the first Gen as over half of the playable PKMN are from that Gen. Don't get me wrong, I love 1st gen Pokemon more so than any other generation though it's really time to spread out reps for other Gens. A Gen 2 or 3 rep would be a much more worthwhile addition IMO (more so Gen 2 because of my bias lel).

Prediction
Inkling: 60%

Nomination
Waluigi: X5

Last edited:
Top Bottom