• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Rate their Chances: the DLC Edition. Day: 192: The final day

Pacack

Super Pac-Fan
NNID
Pacack
3DS FC
0688-5284-6845
Guys...

Captain Toad debuted in the same game that Rosalina did...and he has had more playable roles in mainstream games than her.

Galaxy (NPC):

Galaxy 2 (NPC):

3D World (Playable Side Character):

Treasure Tracker (Main Character):

Last edited:

colder_than_ice

Smash Lord
Captain Toad
Chance: 30% - Let's get something out of the way, if Sakurai wants a certain character in smash then he'll usually include him or her regardless of anything that's cannon. He did turn both villager and Wii fit trainer into fighters. He did make Olimar, Pikachu, and jigglypuff as large as Mario. He gave Ness and Lucas powers from other Mother characters. He WOULD find a way to make Captain Toad perform arial attacks if he had to. The only exception to this that I can think of Ridley who he admitted he didn't want to shrink down.

Toad is probably the most iconic Nintendo character never to be playable in Smash and was even the first non-SSB character to get an Amiibo. Captain Toad still faces some obstacles, he seems drowned out by more popular characters and never seems to get too many requests in polls.

Want: 100% - I am a Toad fan and not ashamed to admit it.

Krystal prediction: 13%

Nominations: Henry Fleming x5

DAY OVER
PLEASE WAIT WHILE I CALCULATE THE RESULTS

colder_than_ice

Smash Lord
CAPTAIN TOAD
CHANCE: 29.63%
WANT: 52.62%
I don't have too much to say here but I think the captain did okay. Next up we're rating Krystal from Star Fox, can she surpass Wolf. Also please predict what score Dixie will get tomorrow.

Parallel_Falchion

Smash Lord
Krystal
Chance: 10%
She's not getting in before Wolf no matter what, so her only chance is if Star Fox gets two DLC reps, in which case she'd almost definitely be the 2nd. But that scenario just isn't likely, even with a new SF game on the way.

Want: 5%
I don't like Krystal, her character or what she represents. Unless she becomes a much better character in the next Star Fox game, I'd rather she just be written out completely.

Nominate Anna x5.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

I'm abstaining from rating Krystal today. I only came to nominate Snake for the billionth time.

Prediction: Dixie Kong - 70%

Many will definitely use her hidden data from Brawl and her return to relevance in Tropical Freeze as evidence towards her inclusion, but some might doubt her moveset potential.

Nominations: Snake x5

BluePikmin11

Akko is my dear daughter!
NNID
blue
Krystal Chance:
15%
Not much has changed other than the ballot supporting Krystal. Wolf will probably get in first, but it doesn't mean she's out of the running. She has her staff to make her stand out a bit, it's different Palutena's staff if anyone is trying to argue that. It's not the most promising for a moveset to get attention from Sakurai, but still a unique one nevertheless. For her chances to rise again, she'll have to have a major role in the newest Starfox game. If she doesn't make an appearance or makes a minor role, I think her chances are shredded completely, he'll probably put her in the low priority list if that's the case.

Not too much to say with Krystal, her main determining factor is making a major appearance, it's a hit hard or go home situation for me.

Krystal Want:

20%
Don't really like the Starfox series myself, and I never played Adventures as of yet to see why people really want her in. I'll probably watch a walkthrough soon.

Dixie Kong Prediction:
64.45% I imagine there will be a serious amount of people who will agree that Dixie has a huge chance now.

Nominations:
x5 Agnes Oblige

Troykv

Smash Master
Krystal...

She's not getting in before Wolf no matter what, so her only chance is if Star Fox gets two DLC reps, in which case she'd almost definitely be the 2nd. But that scenario just isn't likely, even with a new SF game on the way.
Want: 0%

OH GOD PLZ NO... She is a furry (Fox, Falco and Wolf can be "Funny Animals... She doesn't)... and

I don't like Krystal, her character or what she represents.
And I'm not sure about a Six Games Franchise (and a remake) can have 4 Charas... I don't see how.

Prediction:

Dixie: 50%

Nomintations:

Tiki x2
Micaiah x2

Last edited:

Bill Nye

Smash Rookie
Krystal
With Wolf probably on the way, I just don't see StarFox getting two DLC reps. Unless Krystal can dominate the polls, I can't see her making the roster

With the return of Wolf, the StarFox series representation is perfect to me. I'd rather DLC resources be put towards other characters.

Nominations:Agnes Oblige x 3
Ridley x 2

BandanaWaddleDee

Smash Lord
NNID
bdon25
3DS FC
1633-4187-3079
Switch FC
2967-5142-5603
Chance: 5%
Wolf is definitely coming back, and two Starfox DLC characters, just probably won't happen.

Nah. If we get a Starfox newcomer, I want either Slippy or Leon.

Dixie Kong Chances: 80%
Want: 40%

Nominations:
Endou Mamoru x3
9-Volt x1
Jibanyan x1

Last edited:

Strider_Bond00J

Smash Champion
Switch FC
SW-2525-8699-9095
Day 6: All Units Report!
Krystal Chances: 36%
+Krystal's a fairly iconic figure in the Star Fox series, and if we're to give the Star Fox series a well-deserved fourth character, Krystal would fit the bill perfectly - :4fox:(Hero), :4falco:(Second-In-Command, second most recognisable), :wolf:(Anti-Hero/Villain), and Krystal (Recognisable female character, Fox's love interest)
+Plenty of potential to work from her appearances in Adventures with her Staff and even the weapons from Assault. Obviously her staff from Adventures holds the greatest potential for a moveset that stands out among the Star Fox characters we have.
+Obviously helps bringing the Star Fox series up in playable representation, since 4 dropped Wolf obviously because of time shortage leaving us with Fox and Falco for now.
+Outside of being based on the Gamecube era Star Fox games, we know Star Fox Wii U is coming soon, and certainly promoting it through Smash Bros would definitely boost the game in the public eye, so adding Krystal and Wolf together could be a pretty cool Star Fox X Smash Bros DLC pack!

~Naysayers and detractors are sadly extremely vocal against her, but I think there exist people who would enjoy quietly supporting Krystal outside of Wolf's shadow.
~Are we going to get both Wolf and Krystal, or just Wolf? I think Wolf would probably have been chosen outside the ballot, if the data is anything to go by relating to Ryu and Roy.
~The ballot also needs to be considered, since she needs a strong vocal voice to show that there are people who care about Krystal as a character and what she can bring to Super Smash Bros. However, if one were to assume there are 6 characters chosen outside of the ballot and Wolf is part of them, Krystal would have greater chances and support.

-The aforementioned detractors are a problem, mainly because of the whole 'furries' controversy.

Wants: 71%
I grew up playing Star Fox Adventures on the Gamecube and loved it. That said, I never initially considered Krystal as a fighter for Smash Bros since I was quite young and just enjoyed getting the news from the Brawl Dojo each day. In the Smash 4 era, I was expecting Wolf would make it in before Krystal, but without either of them in Smash 4, the community tore itself in half, Wolf VS Krystal. I think Wolf's already confirmed at this point regardless, so I'm now in a situation where I can actively speak confidently for her inclusion without worrying about Wolf. Also thanks to @ jahkzheng jahkzheng for revitalising the Krystal support thread and in turn my desire to see her! I would be happy with her inclusion, but I think supporters have to put up as strong a fight as they should without it leading to flame wars or aggression towards them because of this 'furry' perception. Now then, gotta get back to school work.

Nomination:
Reimu Hakurei (Touhou) X5 (Yes, I like the Touhou. Shinmyoumaru's my favourite.)

D

Deleted member

The Directory has been updated.

Krystal
Chance:
5%

Well she has demand at least and some uniqueness going for her. I would rate her higher if it wasn't for Wolf, who is by far one of the most requested characters on the ballot. Her competition is too stiff.

No. I don't like Krystal at all.

Dixie Kong Prediction: 57.82%
I think this is a good number.

Nominations: Phoenix Wright 5x

Last edited by a moderator:

Aetheri

W/E happens don't panic...
Switch FC
SW-3397-5428-2304
Krystal

Chance: 50%

-Well I'd say her chances are good, but I felt the same way before Brawl, and before the release of Smash 4 and yet we are still talking about whether or not Krystal will get in or not. Let's break it down into what she has going for her; there's demand for her to be included since Brawl, unique moveset, another female character, and the new Star Fox game on the horizon, what does she have going against her? Wolf mainly...can we get two star Fox characters for dlc?...hard to say (depends on what Sakurai has planned for dlc)
The fact that she is barely represented in Smash at all can be viewed as both a good and bad thing depending on your perspective...pretty much in the same boat as Isaac in this case since it can keep her available for dlc or it could mean that Sakurai just doesn't care...
Now as stated Wolf is the next likely dlc since a) he's a veteran and b) the new Star Fox game...I anticipate that we'll see an announcment for Wolf at E3, but what about Krystal? Will she be announced as well, I don't think she will be at E3, unless there will be a some mega Star Fox/Smash package deal with stages or whatnot, but now I'm stretching it too much, but maybe she'll be announced closer to the game's release or sometime next year (or never)...
I feel like she's literally a coin toss since she hasn't made it in before, but at the same time with dlc her chances have improved slightly...

Want: 70%

-I've expected her to be in smash, not necessarily because of popularity or that I'm a big fan of her's but the fact that she's not only another female fighter, but she brings something different to the table with her staff...yes, we have Palutena, but Krystal will more than likely have a moveset that mimics Fox's combat, and utilization in Adventures as well as borrow her weapons and abilities from other games as well, which differs greatly from Palutena's...I think she would be a fun character and one that I'd like to see join the fray...

Dixie Kong: 65.1%

Nominations:
Impa x5

ElPanandero

Smash Lord
NNID
ElPanandero
Krystal
Chance: 15%

Sakurai is a crazy dude

No Thanks

Dixie Kong Prediction: 40%

Nominate: Young Link x5

Last edited:

Pacack

Super Pac-Fan
NNID
Pacack
3DS FC
0688-5284-6845
Krystal:

Chance: 7.5%

I don't give DLC newcomers high chances as a general rule, but Krystal's popular. Her major obstacle is the incredibly likely return of Wolf.

Want: Abstain

I don't like her personally, but I'd be happy for her fans.

Dixie Kong Prediction: 45.25%

Nominations: Ms. Pac-Man Alternate Costume x5

Kalimdori

Amateur Youtuber
NNID
Kalimdori
3DS FC
5129-1442-5970
Krystal Chance: 15%

Krystal has made a pretty big name for herself in the Star Fox, she's got a fanbase... and another fanbase that I don't want to talk about, and she's got the potential to be a very unique fighter. Star Fox is (finally) getting another game, so it makes sense for Sakurai to add in another Star Fox character, and Krystal's probably the frontru-

"Can't let you do that, Sakurai" - :wolf:

It doesn't matter what way you slice it, the fact of the matter is that Wolf is a veteran to Smash Bros, he's more requested by far, and he will get in before Krystal. He's the only character, disregarding recent events, that I feel is pretty much a shoe in for Smash DLC. So the question here is if Star Fox will get two representatives as DLC. I don't think it will.

Unless we get a ton, and I mean a TON of DLC for Smash Bros (Which is possible, hence the 15%), I don't see Krystal happening.

I've blamed Star Fox's downfall on Krystal for the longest time, and while it has finally been revived, my grudge against her remains. I don't like her. I don't like her design, I don't like her character, and I'd prefer it if she stayed out of my Smash Bros.

Dixie Predictions: 41%

She's got fans, but K. Rool has more.

Noms: Rayman x5

Icedragonadam

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-5227-6397-6112
Krystal

Chance: 15%. There's no way she's getting before Wolf and I doubt Starfox would get another rep for DLC. And he's way more popular than Krystal.

Want: 0.01% Easily one of my most disliked video game characters of all time.

Prediction

Dixie Kong
: 47.98%

CaptainAmerica

Smash Master
NNID
TomOfHyrule
Krystal

Sorry Krystal, there's someone people want more from the StarFox universe, and it ain't you. True, there is no rule that we can get multiple characters from the same universe (as I said, I'm still hoping Squirtle decides to return from the dead), but with this particular one...we all know that Smash is made in Japan for a mostly Japanese audience, so a franchise like StarFox (or DK, or Metroid) ends up getting the shaft since Japan doesn't care for it as much. IF we get a DLC character from StarFox, it'll be Wolf - after all, they have to do almost no work to get him in, just port him in from Brawl and done. Krystal would be a rebuild, and if their primary target doesn't like the series that much...that doesn't bode well.
Not that she doesn't have her fans, but Wolf has more.
And surprise - her first game was a Rare creation, so you can take all of the arguments against K.Rool too. Yes, she's Nintendo, but she still may carry some of that stigma.
So while she is popular and has her own fanbase, I don't see the powers that be gracing us with more than one StarFox character, and it's not her.
First, don't you DARE get in the way of Wolf. We need more villains, and he was one of the few Brawl newcomers I liked. But this isn't about him; I'll save those arguments for another time. Once Wolf is in, then I'll pop that up to about 40.
I know she's got some fans, and everyone is wants more ladies in the game, but I just don't like her design. Everyone else from the universe is realistically colored and flies fighter jets, and she...is a blue psychic vixen with a staff? No offense intended, but she does have a little bit of an "ORIGINAL CHARACTER DO NOT STEAL" air about her, along with the whole "We need to make this character stand out, lets make her look completely different than the rest of the cast so she does!" Mary-Sue-ishness. Not a fan.
So like I said. Wolf first, and then she can go up in Want score. Until then, no.
Prediction: Dixie Kong
Chance: 32.5% Want: 59.5%

Nominations:
On the topic of Wolf, let's get him up there x5

A10theHero

SSJ Fraud
NNID
A10theHero
Krystal:

Chance: 20%

+ Moveset potential
+ Fairly popular
~+ Fairly relevant (Once again, unnecessary point, but eh--still worth mentioning)
- Wolf
-- Wolf
--- Wolf
~- Some claim that the Star Fox series would be over-represented since they doesn't have as many games as, say, the Kirby franchise, and yet they would be equal in representation (I still don't think this matters, but some people do care about this)
+/- If Sakurai chooses to add Wolf, then Krystal will definitely take a backseat in the DLC choices. But it also depends on the number of planned characters to add.

Want: 90%
You should already know why by now.

Dixie Predictions: 20%
She's in a similar position as Krystal!

Nominations: Spyro the Dragon [x5]

DeathFox137

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Tech137
Wow. I can see that the ratings of Krystal seemed split. I will admit, both sides at times do provide good arguments in pros and cons. As for me, I wouldn't mind seeing her in. My rating would probably be pending due to the new Star Fox game. As for chances, it has a good 60 % in my opinion due to popularity, relevance, and more. I think that her personality has grown as Star Fox sequels were made, she would have a unique moveset with a combination of staff use and magic, and she played the role as Fox's love interest. On the other hand, this is where I can see the con side coming from. For one thing, when she was first introduced, I didn't think that her character was executed well. It was sort of downgraded compared to Dinosaur Planet beta from what I have read. Sure the character has flaws, but if anything, I would welcome her addition. That's my piece. I am trying to be fair with this.

Last edited:

Kalimdori

Amateur Youtuber
NNID
Kalimdori
3DS FC
5129-1442-5970
Wouldn't she still be a frontrunner for Star Fox if Wolf is most likely in anyway?
It's not a real obstacle she has to go against really.
....No.... a frontrunner is, by definition, the contestant that is in the lead. Krystal is, and will always be a runner up. It's not like someone wins a race, gets first, and every person gets first afterward because they have suddenly become the "frontrunner".

Mewtwo is the obvious frontrunner for a Pokemon DLC character. Any Pokemon that will come after will be a runner up, because they were given less priority and got in after Mewtwo.

Basic logic, really...

XStarWarriorX

[Get Ready]
Hm wow, I find it sad that some people come out of the woodwork and throw the "furry" label out when they'd easily support dixie kong, like really? I can respect that you are indifferent to the character but "OMG STAY AWAY FROM MY SMASH BROS." is just sad to see, if sakurai chooses her? then why not? I find character hatred to be plain silly and childish, if people want ridley they want ridley, same goes for krystal. Its better if you go supporting the characters you like instead of trying to drag others into the mud. (and I thought roy haters were bad)

Anyway...

Krystal: Chance is 35%

Want: 100%

She is one of the last few characters I support as most of them are in already or have no shot. She has unique moveset potential, reasonable popularity, fits the same niches as peach, and can be a fun fresh aggressive character. There are really no cons unless you wanna argue reps or the hatebase.

I think her chances are underrated, sakurai likes fresh movesets, I wouldnt be surpised if she and wolf were included at e3 ala the robin/lucina trailer. Robin was popular and had the moveset, same as lucina/chrom, but were not as diverse, but the clamoring for both got one in as a alt that is now a clone. I can see a somewhat same scenario for wolf/krystal, the odds are unknown however so it depends on how loud the fanbase is. (just like lucina's was.)

Dixie prediction: 40%

Noms: Snake x5

D

Deleted member

Krystal is beautiful and unlike other Star fox characters she can have a moveset completely of her own. So i say she has a good chance.

Capybara Gaming

Just Vibing
I told myself I wasn't gonna play this time

Krystal:
Chance: 5% - If we get another Star Fox character, pretty sure it'll be wolf.
Want: 10% - New Character is fine, but I don't think she deserves said spot over other characters (Wolf, Takamaru, and Rayman especially).

Dixie Prediction: 17.09%

Nominations: Henry Fleming (Codename: S.T.E.A.M.)

jahkzheng

Smash Lord
Aww yeah. Krystal voting time! Here we go.

Here's my picture of the categories I'll use for assessing characters again again...
These points are for making a best estimate of their chances, although the weight of each category is still unknown at this time. Other unforeseen factors could keep the character from being added. I'll likely post this at the start of all my assessments.

Krystal

Popularity
Krystal has a very interesting situation with her popularity. She's quite popular, not Rool or Isaac popular, but top 5 newcomer material. When you remove third party considerations, she's easily top 5 in most polls. Her popularity is good internationally too. She does have detractors though. All characters do, but Krystal has people that dislike her simply for existing. In my experience, some just don't like her character which is common for many characters and a reasonable reason. Where it gets silly are the people that blame her for "ruining Star Fox". Of course that's subjective as many people have enjoyed the games she's been in and even so, it seems odd to pin a game's failing on a single character. Most who didn't like Adventures, for instance, probably take exception to the gameplay, which Krystal doesn't directly affect... (although some will point to Adventures as the point where "Krystal" diverted the Star Fox series even though it's not like she was in charge of it's direction, heh). And of course there's those that simply point to the "furry stigma" which is a non-canon thing that sadly she's associated with. Despite the resistance to her however, she's maintained high popularity over all.

Importance
Krystal's importance to the Star Fox series is about like any other member of the Star Fox team... well, except Fox. Fox is the leader, so obviously he's the face of the franchise. Her prominent appearance in Adventures and her inclusion on the team in Assault, along with her relationship with Fox has put her on at least equal terms with Slippy, Peppy, and arguably Falco. She's appeared in as many Star Fox games as Wolf as well. When it comes to characters to surround the hero Fox with in Smash, after his wingman, and his rival/foe, his love interest makes sense to include next. It's like having Mario, then adding Luigi, then Bowser, but not having Peach. She's also represents another female character, which Sakurai has stated he'd like to have more of in Smash. When coupled with her popularity and uniqueness, Krystal proves to be the next most important Star Fox character to add to Smash after Fox, Falco, and Wolf. The Star Fox series in general is an important Nintendo franchise that's iconic but not quite Mario, Zelda, Pokemon, Metroid levels of iconic, but it's probably at least close to Kirby's or Donkey Kong's levels of iconic. It's certainly a franchise that could use more love.

Uniqueness
Krystal has a lot of options. Some unique, some not as unique, and some we haven't even thought of yet perhaps! Her most unique and often suggested moveset would revolve around her staff from Adventures. In Star Fox Adventures, Fox ends up using this staff but when he first acquires it he learns that the staff has inherent moves that will be revealed to him as he progresses. It is strongly implied that Krystal must know these moves as well. Like Fox in Adventures, Krystal would mainly use her staff as a physical weapon wielding it like a martial artist would a staff. The staff also has special abilities as well, and that could be mainly utilized in her specials and some standards. These abilities include a fire blaster, an ice blast, a rocket boost, a quake attack and many others. Krystal is also a telepath/empath. This could give her a unique counter or other related move based on reading the opponent's thoughts. Krystal also has access to many of the tools used by the Star Fox team, although they aren't mentioned as often since using them would likely make her play more similarly to the existing Star Fox characters. Last, the new Star Fox Wii U game is coming out and who knows what new moves or ability options that Krystal and the rest of the team could learn? With Wolf likely returning unchanged from Brawl, Krystal may even represent Star Fox Wii U specifically with references to that game.

Relevance
Krystal and the rest of team Star Fox stand on the threshold that will lead them from having relatively low relevancy to being very relevant. Miyamoto himself said that 2015 may just be "The Year of the Star Fox". This could be a huge opportunity for Smash and Star Fox to capitalize on the new exposure. Thanks to Star Fox Wii U, Star Fox has a real legitimate chance to gain two new playable characters. Wolf being the returning vet and Krystal being the newcomer. It appears that Wolf is very likely in and as a Brawl vet won't require too much work to add. This makes the chances for both Wolf and Krystal to be added competitive with Rool and Dixie's chances, as these are the only franchises with two different characters frequently in the top 10 in terms of popularity and requests. It's been a while for Krystal and the team, and while there's still some question as to what part Krystal will play in the new game, the chances are good that she'll be there... you never know though. There's some rumors of reboots but nothing of that sort has been stated or directly implied. We await to see just what's in store. I don't believe I can dismiss Krystal however since I have every reason to believe it's safer to assume few changes will be made to team Star Fox.

Representation
Star Fox has two reps in Smash 4, down from three in Brawl. Many agree that Wolf shouldn't have been cut to begin with but also acknowledge that with DLC being a thing and the reveal of Lucas, Wolf has to get in as he was easily the first or second most requested cut character to have return after Mewtwo's reveal. Once the representation is on equal footing with Brawl's, the door is open for an actual newcomer. Now, some may believe that Star Fox doesn't need that many reps, but with DLC we may see most of the franchises getting at least one more. I don't think it's unreasonable for Donkey Kong, Star Fox, and Kirby to get four reps depending on how much more DLC we could get. So yes... Star Fox could certainly use more representation since currently it's sitting at minus reps thanks to Wolf's cut. It could even use two imo, due to the popularity of two characters and only having two reps anyways... much like the Donkey Kong franchise.

Limitations
Krystal has no real limitations. She's actually got a lot going for her. She's still very popular, would be another rep for an underrepped franchise and is easily 4th in line to represent it, would be another female character, she has unique moveset options, and she's on the cusp of potentially massive relevancy points with Star Fox Wii U! Her biggest actual limitations lie in just how many DLC characters we can expect and whether Sakurai and co would be interested in adding two additional characters to Smash from Star Fox. Certainly, she's still in it since Wolf is a returning vet that should be added easily and is likely already being worked on outside of ballot votes... but he's most definitely got priority if the number of DLC characters is small enough. She also has her detractors, that while we aren't submitting "negative votes", they're still present enough to be noticed.

Final Assessment

Chance: 60%

I think Krystal has a good mix of attributes that make her more desirable and likely for inclusion than perhaps others might believe. Her popularity is good. Better internationally than here in general, but still top 5 newcomer material and in tight for third with characters like Inkling after you remove third party considerations. Admittedly, my assessment is influenced by two assumptions of mine. One being that I expect her to return in Star Fox Wii U. The second, and this one applies to all characters... the rough number of DLC characters I'm expecting. Krystal has a great chance if we're to get another character or two after Wolf and the top two ballot winners get into the game. The recent reveal of the Roy/Ryu leak also opens up the possiblity that we may be getting more DLC than many of us initially expected already.

There's no question about it. I've put all my support behind Krystal on this one. I want Wolf back badly too. He was a main of mine in Brawl. But I believe he's in and I'm ready for Krystal. Have been since before Brawl even. Star Fox needs some serious love. Donkey Kong too. I have faith they'll get it. Until Krystal gets confirmed, all other characters will be getting some fraction of 100%. Don't get me wrong, I have some 80 and 90 percenters out there, but Krystal will be my sole 100% Want until her inclusion.

Wow, I just knew I'd get carried away with this one, heh.

~~~~

Time to predict the board average of Dixie's chances and wants, eh? I imagine she'll suffer the same issue as Krystal with Wolf getting priority, but to a bit lesser extent. Rool beats her in popularity, but because Rool is a newcomer I think some are still open to Dixie because they aren't sure Sakurai will even choose Rool. I think people will be a bit more open to the possibility that Dixie could get in with Rool than they were to the possibility of Wolf and Krystal getting in together. I'll predict accordingly.

Prediction for Dixie Kong

Chance: 44%
Want: 64%

~~~~

3 Points to Shantae!
2 Points to Snake~

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Krystal: 35%

Her main obstacle is pretty obvious, she won't get in before Wolf who has basically everything going for him. However, unlike other franchise, I can legitimately see Star Fox get two characters, but that is mostly dependent on if Krystal shows up at E3 2015 or not.

If she doesn't, obviously she'll disappear and she pretty much is not ever getting in. But I think she has a legitimate chance of showing up at E3 2015 in the Star Fox trailer. Were she to appear in a major role in Star Fox Wii U's E3 2015 trailer, she then becomes one of the more likely DLC candidates. There's a good chance that Wolf will get confirmed as DLC there which will then leave Krystal as the definitive Star Fox character left. This means that she is going to gain a lot of supporters and given the fact that she obtained a massive fan base during pre-Brawl (granted it was mostly due to "we needz moar females!" cry), it's not implausible to assume that she could be highly requested enough to justify two Star Fox characters as DLC; Wolf and Krystal. She has no competition whatsoever after Wolf is confirmed and if she were to be a well-received character in Star Fox Wii U as well (as opposed to a divisive one in the games she did appear in), that's only boost her support as DLC and I expect Star Fox Wii U to come out with some time left before the ballot ends.

All in all, let's wait and see, but I have feeling that she might be one of the most underrated candidates for DLC; one that could give even King K. Rool and Isaac a run for their money for a spot. I'm definitely keeping an eye on her.

Want: 60%

I have went back and forth on wanting her as a character. Personally I have never been against Krystal's inclusion and beside, she can't be worse than adding Dark Pit (who got in for no reason other than to shove Uprising down our throat). I've been at the point where I placed her among my Top 5 most wanted and then I've been neutral on her. But I do think that the staff does allow for interesting move set potentials and if she were to get in, I hope that the staff is incorporated. Personally I would prefer an unique Krystal to Wolf's return although I certainly won't complain if (more like when) Wolf returns to Smash.

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
The amount of zeros in want she's getting is staggering...

I see a lot of "furry" accusations.

Most of those support Wolf.

That's just damn hypocrisy.

Even then, its not the fault of her character.

It's the fault of some members of her fanbase.

This is ridiculous...

I don't criticize want scores very often, I mean hey, it's relative.

But these are just downright idiotic reasons.

Last edited:

cybersai

Smash Ace
Krystal:

Chances: 10%. Wolf is the other 90%.

Want: 10%. Like I wouldn't complain at all if she was playable, but I have no real desire to ever see her playable. Its the same way I felt about Bandana Dee. No.

jahkzheng

Smash Lord
....No.... a frontrunner is, by definition, the contestant that is in the lead. Krystal is, and will always be a runner up. It's not like someone wins a race, gets first, and every person gets first afterward because they have suddenly become the "frontrunner".

Mewtwo is the obvious frontrunner for a Pokemon DLC character. Any Pokemon that will come after will be a runner up, because they were given less priority and got in after Mewtwo.

Basic logic, really...
He implied Wolf's inclusion. So Krystal would be a front-runner if Wolf was confirmed. By your logic we could also claim that Wolf isn't a front-runner because once he may not have been. Like if we were talking pre-Melee and people were clamoring for Falco more.. not that I know that was happening. It's a hypothetical scenario.

The term "front-runner" only implies a leader and not a winner. In a race, there may be many front-runners. It's a mark of where a person is relative to the other racers at one time. He may get passed, but that doesn't change the fact that he was a front-runner at one time. Likewise, a person that's chasing the front-runner may become the front-runner himself.

Delzethin

Character Concept Creator
NNID
Delzethin
Hoo boy. This one's gonna be controversial.

--

Krystal

Chance: 55%
Seems like Krystal can't get brought up anywhere without controversy following. Her first appearance was a radical departure for the series (even though it was designed to be a gaiden game all along), and the two Star Fox games that came out afterward are considered kind of...lacking. Some of the fanbase associates her with the series' dip in quality, some dislike how undue of a focus she has in Star Fox Command, while others outside the fanbase loathe her for a different fandom she's associated with, ironically ignoring how nearly every other character in the series also falls under them. Merely mentioning her in some places is enough to incur the commenters' wrath.

And then there's the whole fact that Wolf is considered a near-lock to return already. Lucas is already confirmed, and with a new Star Fox game on the horizon, it'd be the perfect opportunity to make a "look who's relevant again" reveal. Consensus seems to be that the developers wouldn't bother with a second Star Fox character, regardless of if it's actually true.

Krystal has mixed reception, a loud hatebase, a character from her own series likely to get the nod first...and yet, she may have one of the highest chances of any newcomer. In fact, I think she's the fourth most likely DLC character.

I get around the Internet pretty well, I've seen quite a few unofficial polls, and I've noticed something: Krystal has deceptively high fan support. In nearly every one of the aforementioned polls, she ranked among the top 5 newcomers...and the ones where she didn't came from sites with a history of being...nostalgic. Her supporters just have a way of lying low and not saying much. After all, why would you when openly supporting her for Smash in some places is like waving a sign that says "I am an acceptable target"?

Meanwhile, the loudness of Krystal's detractors masks how few of them there are. Vocal minorities creep into every fanbase, and Krystal has some particularly loud ones loathe her for "ruining" the series, making her a scapegoat for it not living up to their idealized version of how it used to be. Again, though, there're fewer of them than they make it seem, they're greatly outnumbered by her supporters and those who have no strong feelings one way or the other, and they can't take votes away from her, now can they?

There's still the problem of Wolf blocking her way, though...or is there? Even despite Wolf, Krystal is (reportedly) still getting a lot of ballot votes from her supporters and from Star Fox fans who believe Wolf is already a lock. It's also worth remembering that the developers do not think in terms of "repping" a series, so one Star Fox character being DLC wouldn't rule out another one. In fact, for all the fanbase treats it as a rule, it's been broken repeatedly over the course of Smash Bros. Even the argument that Star Fox will only have six games may not be important going off Smash history: The Legend of Zelda had five characters in Melee--with four newcomers--despite only having seven games at the time (And you could argue that the Oracle games count as two parts of one story, lowering it to six!). In Brawl, Pokémon gained four characters, something that would've had people cry "over-repped" nowadays despite how big a series it is. And speaking of nowadays, remember how everyone said Fire Emblem couldn't possibly get two newcomers (granted, one started as an alt)? Remember how people cried foul about the Mario series getting two new characters when it already had so many?

But the likely reason Rosalina and Bowser Jr. both got in is also the reason Krystal has a legitimate chance: both of them had too much potential and too intriguing of concepts to pass up. That's the key detail here: Krystal has uniqueness and moveset potential in spades. We've seen a willingness from the dev team to use older assets for movesets--they changed Kirby's dash attack in Brawl to a move from the Yo-Yo ability, which hadn't seen light since 1996, the Bowser Bomb goes all the way back to Super Mario Bros. 3, and Robin's Arcfire animation is straight from the GBA Fire Emblem games--meaning her staff from Adventures is in play, especially since most of her supporters are requesting she use it specifically for the moveset potential it gives her. Where Wolf's moveset is loosely derived from the one Fox uses, and where Falco is still a semi-clone, Krystal would be the first fully unique Star Fox character since Fox himself. In place of blasters, air-dashes, and reflectors, Krystal could be only the second staff-wielder Smash has had--and with a battlestaff that plays vastly different from Palutena's scepter--and with its innate abilities to shoot small bursts of fire, spray freezing mist, create seismic shockwaves, propel its wielder into the sky, surround them with a magic barrier...all combining for something the roster doesn't yet have, and so tailor-made for Smash that I'm willing to bet you just thought of how at least a couple of them would work as you're reading this.

But her moveset potential doesn't stop there: if needed, Krystal could also pull from Star Fox Assault's arsenal. There's a pretty good variety there, so much of it completely untouched by Fox, Falco, and presumably Wolf if the lack of changes to Mewtwo and Lucas are anything to go by. Though the staff immediately makes her unique, she doesn't need to rely on it to do so!

There's a third option, though, and it might be the most intriguing: a combination of the previous two. With a mix of staff techniques and spells and the high-tech weapons from the modern Star Fox games, she could bring a mix of magic and technology that no other character could match. Her moveset potential is among the highest of any DLC candidate, rivaling even Isaac and K. Rool, and if Sakurai's interview last July is anything to go by, it's the biggest thing the dev team looks for in a newcomer.

A character with massive moveset potential from an up-and-coming series, whose biggest draw is representing said series in a way its other characters don't, but who is considered to have no chance because a less unique character from the same series is "more deserving"? Sounds an awful lot like a certain tactician...

Would I have written that entire essay if I didn't want her in Smash so badly? She has the uniqueness factor, she has so many possible awesome movesets, and she could be another battlemage. As of right now, she's my single most wanted DLC character...well, technically tied with a couple longshots who almost surely won't make the cut.

Even with whatever doubts or concerns you may have, if Krystal gets in, she'll be worth it.

Jump to what conclusions you may. I get interested in characters for their moveset potential, remember?

Dixie Kong Prediction: 31.75%
She certainly has an argument...but one obvious problem and one not-so-obvious one could hold her back.

Nominations: Sceptile x5

Oh, and to those of you playing the furbait card? You realize the same card applies to Wolf, right? You realize Rule 34 applies to everyone on the roster, not just the ones you handpick? And if they were concerned about a character being too sexualized, it certainly didn't stop them from giving Zero Suit Samus two costumes with her in a tank top and gym shorts, giving Shulk a swimsuit costume, or giving Palutena a taunt where she imitates a stripper.

Last edited:

Aetheri

Switch FC
SW-3397-5428-2304
The amount of zeros in want she's getting is staggering...

I see a lot of "furry" accusations.

Most of those support Wolf.

That's just damn hypocrisy.

Even then, its not the fault of her character.

It's the fault of some members of her fanbase.

This is ridiculous...

I don't criticize want scores very often, I mean hey, it's relative.

But these are just downright idiotic reasons.
IKR...the previous two rounds had people dislike characters because 'too close to a common enemy' and 'mario is overrepresented' (I'm guilty of both admittedly) which is understandable because these are actual concerns and possible limitations behind the character's inclusion into the game...but the 'she's a furry' cry is almost as ridiculous as the time people were b*tching about ZSS's heels...everyone has a right to their opinion but you could say 'I'm not a fan' rather than spout hate...because we already have fox and falco as well as a very likely wolf coming, then characters like Lucario, Sonic and maybe even Greninja (if you count frogs as 'Furry' though the proper term is anthropomorphic anyways)

Last edited:

Aetheri

Switch FC
SW-3397-5428-2304
srry pressed reply instead of edit...

Last edited:

jahkzheng

Smash Lord
Krystal: 35%

Her main obstacle is pretty obvious, she won't get in before Wolf who has basically everything going for him. However, unlike other franchise, I can legitimately see Star Fox get two characters, but that is mostly dependent on if Krystal shows up at E3 2015 or not.

If she doesn't, obviously she'll disappear and she pretty much is not ever getting in. But I think she has a legitimate chance of showing up at E3 2015 in the Star Fox trailer. Were she to appear in a major role in Star Fox Wii U's E3 2015 trailer, she then becomes one of the more likely DLC candidates. There's a good chance that Wolf will get confirmed as DLC there which will then leave Krystal as the definitive Star Fox character left. This means that she is going to gain a lot of supporters and given the fact that she obtained a massive fan base during pre-Brawl (granted it was mostly due to "we needz moar females!" cry), it's not implausible to assume that she could be highly requested enough to justify two Star Fox characters as DLC; Wolf and Krystal. She has no competition whatsoever after Wolf is confirmed and if she were to be a well-received character in Star Fox Wii U as well (as opposed to a divisive one in the games she did appear in), that's only boost her support as DLC and I expect Star Fox Wii U to come out with some time left before the ballot ends.

All in all, let's wait and see, but I have feeling that she might be one of the most underrated candidates for DLC; one that could give even King K. Rool and Isaac a run for their money for a spot. I'm definitely keeping an eye on her.

Want: 60%

I have went back and forth on wanting her as a character. Personally I have never been against Krystal's inclusion and beside, she can't be worse than adding Dark Pit (who got in for no reason other than to shove Uprising down our throat). I've been at the point where I placed her among my Top 5 most wanted and then I've been neutral on her. But I do think that the staff does allow for interesting move set potentials and if she were to get in, I hope that the staff is incorporated. Personally I would prefer an unique Krystal to Wolf's return although I certainly won't complain if (more like when) Wolf returns to Smash.
All that text I colored "Krystal blueish", I totally agree with. Great assessment. It's also highly dependent on just how many DLC characters we can expect.

@ Delzethin Delzethin

Wow, trying to outdo me in post length? Heh. Can't wait to see what music you picked for her, while I read this essay.

Last edited:

cybersai

Smash Ace
There's also some franchises I don't think needs more than 3 reps. Both Starfox and Kirby are perfect at 3 reps and I don't think they need any more. Same for Metroid if Ridley ever eventually happens.

The only franchises with tons of reps I can understand is Mario, Zelda, Pokemon and Fire Emblem. Even DK shouldn't go above 4 reps. (Dixie and K Rool)

Kalimdori

Amateur Youtuber
NNID
Kalimdori
3DS FC
5129-1442-5970
He implied Wolf's inclusion. So Krystal would be a front-runner if Wolf was confirmed. By your logic we could also claim that Wolf isn't a front-runner because once he may not have been. Like if we were talking pre-Melee and people were clamoring for Falco more.. not that I know that was happening. It's a hypothetical scenario.

The term "front-runner" only implies a leader and not a winner. In a race, there may be many front-runners. It's a mark of where a person is relative to the other racers at one time. He may get passed, but that doesn't change the fact that he was a front-runner at one time. Likewise, a person that's chasing the front-runner may become the front-runner himself.
We are talking in terms of Star Fox DLC characters for Smash Bros. If I was speaking in a broader sense, yes, Wolf could technically not be considered as a "frontrunner". But I'm not speaking in a broader sense :p

Hm wow, I find it sad that some people come out of the woodwork and throw the "furry" label out when they'd easily support dixie kong, like really? I can respect that you are indifferent to the character but "OMG STAY AWAY FROM MY SMASH BROS." is just sad to see, if sakurai chooses her? then why not? I find character hatred to be plain silly and childish, if people want ridley they want ridley, same goes for krystal. Its better if you go supporting the characters you like instead of trying to drag others into the mud. (and I thought roy haters were bad)
People are allowed to like what they like, but aren't allowed to dislike what they dislike?

Huh?

I don't like Krystal. It's not due to her fans, or the whole "furry" debacle (Although I find that a bit disturbing, but that's the people. not the character) It's simply because I don't like her design, I don't like her character, and I'd prefer so many other characters over her, including other Star Fox characters. I don't and won't want her Smash, even if she does make it in.

She isn't the only character like that, I've got the same views of several other characters, including several that are currently already in Smash Bros. I'm not trying to "drag other characters into the mud" persay, I recognize that these characters have their fans, and if the character does make it in, good for them! But this is a game where we are asked as to why we want or don't want a character, and I don't want her. I agree that the "furry hatred" is naive and hypocritical, but complaining about people simply having different likes and dislikes is equally so.

Last edited:

Flor@

Smash Apprentice
I vote for Shantae x5. Goodnite.
Your signature made me finally go ahead and figure out who this shantae character is. And I am impressed, her game looks great and she looks like she'd be a great addition to Smash Bros. Since I didn't use my nomination votes on my last post, I think I'll cast my nominations now.

Ice Climbers x2 (I've already seen enough opinions on them lately and I grow tired of them)
Shantae x3

(that's right, you've somehow made me want a character more than I want my lovely little ice climbers. *sigh* let's see if they can both get in, eh? heh....)

Top Bottom