• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Rate their Chances: the DLC Edition. Day: 192: The final day

Kenith

Overkill Sarcasm
The Fabulous Friendly Super Sparkle Train
NNID
RipoffmanXKTG
3DS FC
4210-4224-9442
Rhythm Heaven Character:

Chance: 15%. The majority of people have completely forgotten about Chorus Kids, it seems, and other potential Rhythm Heaven characters are hardly talked about anymore. Speaking of Chorus Kids, the fact they were supposed cut for a similar reason to Ice Climbers coupled with the aforementioned lack of popularity means they probably don't have a good chance now.

Want: 100%. **** YEAH KARATE JOE. :awesome:
Not to mention that the music a Rhythm Heaven stage would bring is just...yes.

------
Nominations: Jill Valentine x5

Last edited:

Yomi's Biggest Fan

See You Next Year, Baby
NNID
Takamaru64
3DS FC
1375-7346-9605
Switch FC
SW-8277-6509-2593
Any Rhythm Heaven Character

Chance: 40%

The games are still going strong and they have a huge following in Japan. Half of everything I've said the last time for Chorus Kids (minus the graphic limitations) can apply for any character. If Sakurai feels the need to add a character for promoting the new games, then I can see him tackling it with another character than the Chorus Kids.

Want: 95%

Miss Rhythm? Marshal? Wrestler? Karate Joe? All my want! Words can
't describe how much I'm in love with the idea of a Rhythm Heaven rep in Smash and I would die if they even think about having a new stage with those delicious tracks. Ringside? Cheer Readers? Double Date? See Saw? Choir Boys? Karate Man? Tap Trial? Oh hell yes!

Elma Prediction: 7%
Cross Prediction: 6%

Nominations: Takamaru x5 #SlashtheVote

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Chances 49%

Want... Kindof. Those kinds of characters come from a musical series. And while really out of place characters series-wise do exist in a way, these guys would take the cake. Only a few would make actual fighters of some sorts, such as the beefy Wrestler and Karate joe.

4theRECORD

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
2878-9708-8635
RH character
chance 50%
want 80%

cross prediction 6%
elma prediction 9%

nomination Slime x5

Sorry just don't have time

Dynamite

Smash Apprentice
Any Rhythm Heaven Character

Chance: 75%

A Rhythm Heaven character was planned to be playable but was cut for unknown reasons. If the planned RH character was the Chorus Kids then they could have been cut because of technical issues like the Ice Climbers, and if that's the case then it's likely they could choose a different RH character to be playable instead of trying to get the Chorus Kids to work properly.

Want: 100%

What can I say? I love Rhythm Heaven! While the Chorus Kids would be my pick for a RH rep, I'd be just as happy with Marshal, Miss Rhythm, Karate Joe, or anyone else from the series.

LasermasterA

Smash Champion
NNID
LasermasterA
3DS FC
1392-5385-9326
'M sleepy so here my few words:

Chance: 60%
Probably planned and dropped. Seeing as DLC so far has been characters that already exist, the next phase would be characters they considered but dropped during Smash 4 development.

Want: 20%
Not really played a Rhythm Heaven game, but I have gotten interested in it. Karate Joe, that Ninja dude or Wrestler+Reporter would be interesting.

Prediction:
Cross: 10%
Elma:12.5%

Noms:
Abel (SMT:DeSu) or other SMT character x 5

Pureownege75

Smash Journeyman
Oh hey the time has come

Rhythm Heaven character

Chance: 50%
With a new game in the franchise coming to Japan in around a month and the fact that a representative was already considered in pre-development, I think its a strong possibility. What holds the franchise back, is that with no clear choice as a representative, its hard to garner a lot of support in the ballot. Xenoblade fans wanted Shulk for example, he's the near undisputed choice. Rhythm Heaven fans want Marshal, Chorus Men, Karate Joe, Wrestler, etc. However, even without the ballot support, a new game, and the fact that it's arguably the biggest series without a character, makes it a strong possibility as pre-ballot DLC

Want: 100%
I'll take anyone from the franchise, due to there not being a defined "star", but man do I want someone from this series. Speculation for these games are what got me into the series, and now I desperately want someone from the series to get in. I'd love to see a moveset akin to Game & Watch, being an amalgamation of a ton of various mini-games across all the mini-games. And who can forget about the game's music. Getting them in the game would probably lead to a stage with tons of awesome music. This needs to happen, an RH character is my second most wanted behind K. Rool.

Cross Prediction: 7.4%
Elma Prediction: 10.6%

Nominations
Themed Stage Packs x5

Scamper52596

Smash Lord
Premium
Rhythm Heaven Character
Chance: 28%
I could see it happening. It's a popular franchise in Japan, and a new game is coming out for the 3DS soon. Sakurai may just want to capitalize on that since it seems a Rhythm Heaven character was already planned to be in the game. The reason I'm still a little skeptical is because I'm not sure how much of a priority the series is to Sakurai, and whether or not the Chorus Men were Sakurai's first choice. Who knows if he actually wants to put anyone else from the series in Smash instead. There are a lot of factors that make me question Rhythm Heaven's chances at DLC, though 28% still isn't that bad of a score if you think about it because it's slightly higher than a 1 out of 4 chance. That being said, I'll give this concept a rating of, well, 28%.
It's all up to Sakurai...

Want: 15%
The games look to have a fun cast of characters, and I'm open to one making it in. I don't really have a definitive choice, nor am I really all that concerned. It's just cool to see a new Nintendo franchise get represented.

Predictions - Elma: 7.9%, Cross: 6.4%

Nominations:
x5 Toon Zelda

Edward Rochester

Smash Apprentice
Rhythm Heaven Fighter

The Rhythm Heaven franchise certainly isn't unknown/abondoned. For starters, Rhythm Heaven Fever and that new Rhythm Heaven game in Japan is quite known among Nintendo fans. That's not even mentioning very popular (dare I say, memetic) parts of the games, such as Glee Club from the DS game and Ringside from RHF. Since Rhythm Heaven is getting a new game, Sakurai could put in a new character to represent the franchise. Who knows? Maybe this character will drum up greater support for the series, like Captain Falcon with F-Zero and Marth/Roy with Fire Emblem.

Want: 85%
Oh, heck yes. Rhythm Heaven is an awesome franchise. There is so much material in the games to make a proper fighter. There hasn't really been a rhythmic fighter in Smash Bros, right? Well, a Rhythm Heaven fighter can fill that void! Yes, such a fighter can bring a unique fighting style, like how Rosalina brought puppetry and Robin brought tactical strategies.

Predictions:
Cross: 10%
Emma: 9%

Nomination: Bayonetta X 5

Last edited:

NintenRob

Rising YouTuber
NNID
trpdm.wilton
Wait, I misread this, I thought if it was asking if we wanted a double day for both 9-volt and Elma.

I have no idea who cross is so I'll predict 10%

BandanaWaddleDee

Smash Lord
NNID
bdon25
3DS FC
1633-4187-3079
Switch FC
2967-5142-5603
RH Character
Chance: 70%
Want: 51%

Elma Prediction: 9%
Cross Prediction: 8%

Nominations:
Jibanyan x3
Sora x2

Sarki Soliloquy

Smash Champion
Character Chance Ratings

1: Ryu - 97.7%
1: Roy - 97.7%
2: Wolf - 97.5%
3: Professor Layton - 90%

4: Rayman - 60%
5: Snake - 55%
6: Inkling - 50%
7: Sceptile - 45%
7: Krystal - 45%
8: Paper Mario: 44.5%

9: Dixie Kong - 43%
10: Wonder Red - 40%
11: Impa - 40.5%
12: Simon Belmont - 35%
13: Ice Climbers - 30%

13: Captain Toad - 30%
14: Chorus Kids - 27.5%

15: Magolor - 25%
16: Henry Fleming - 25.7%
17: Spyro - 25.3%
18: Ivysaur - 23.7%
19: Squirtle - 22.5%
20: Quote - 21.5%
21: Phoenix Wright - 20%
21: Shovel Knight - 20%
22: Shantae - 20.5%
23: Tetra - 20.3%

24: Midna & Wolf Link - 10%
25: Lip - 10.5%
26: Geno - 7%
27: KOS-MOS - 5%
27: Ray - 5%
27: Pichu - 5%
28: Daisy - 5.7%
29: Ridley - 5.5%
-: Elma - ?.?%

-: Cross - ?.?%

Character Want Ratings

1: Professor Layton - 100%
1: Shovel Knight - 100%
1: Wolf - 100%
2: Simon Belmont - 90.5%
2: Sceptile - 90.5%
3: Shantae - 87%
4: Wonder Red - 86.5%

5: Snake - 85%
5: Impa - 85%
6: Magolor - 85.5%

7: Ice Climbers - 80%
8: Chorus Kids - 80.5%
9: Ryu - 60%
9: Paper Mario: 60%
10: Midna & Wolf Link - 60.5%
11: Phoenix Wright - 55%
12: Ridley - 50%
13: Inkling - 30%
14: Henry Fleming - 30.5%

15: Rayman - 25%
16: Quote - 23%

17: Krystal - 20%
17: Dixie Kong - 20%
18: Tetra - 20.5%

19: Squirtle - 10.7%
19: Ivysaur - 10.7%
20: Geno - 10.5%
20: Roy - 10.5%
21: Spyro - 7%
22: Lip - 5.7%

23: Captain Toad - 5.5%
24: Ray - 4.5%
25: KOS-MOS - 3%

26: Pichu - 1%
26: Daisy - 1%

-: Elma - ?.?%
-: Cross - ?.?%

Concept Chance Ratings
1: DLC Characters Receive Custom Moves - 90.5%
2: DLC Alternate Costumes - 85%
3: Any NPC Becomes Playable - 65.7%
4: DLC Music Packs - 50.5%
5: Rhythm Heaven Character - 45%

Concept Want Ratings
1: DLC Characters Receive Custom Moves - 100%
1: DLC Alternate Costumes - 100%
2: DLC Music Packs - 65%
3: Any NPC Becomes Playable - 50.5%
4: Rhythm Heaven Character - 40.3%

Abstains (Inactivity)

King K. Rool
Banjo-Kazooie
Isaac
Bandana Dee

Abtsains (Indifference)

Ninten

RATINGS

Concept: Rhythm Heaven Character

Chance - 45%: Meager demand for an allegedly-scraped represented franchise for some time in Smash 4's development cycle.

Due to Gematsu, claims made around supposed data files, and representation through non-playable elements (Sneaky Spirits in Smash Run, trophies) many people are quick to assert that a Rhythm Heaven character was on Sakurai's radar at one point in development, widely believed to be the Chorus Kids. Before then, it's safe to say RH was one of those series that was known, but not pushed.

Now the chance to inaugurate this quirky beat-tapper series into the Smash pantheon has been put into the hands of the fans. There's already a ton of 1st party characters getting overwhelming amounts of support and the 3rd party front serves as tough competition. At this time, any chance of getting a RH character is gridlocked unless a massive surge in support comes for one of the series's many eclectic characters, namely the Chorus Kids.

In fact, let's assess which characters I see get thrown out a lot, as well as some darkhorses:

Chorus Kids

(Shoutouts to @ BluePikmin11 BluePikmin11 for 1-uping my ideas for them from their day. Glad someone appreciates my designs!)

The threes. The onlies. The ones who got us into this mess and we just quite can't clean ourselves off.

Perhaps has the greatest chance of occurring. Besides Gematsu, these guys are notorious for being on the cover of the first Rhythm Heaven and make elusive cameos in various minigames along the series, as well as outside it! Conspicuously have a trophy of them in Smash 3DS.

They provide oodles of uniqueness from the get-go. First of all, they have very strong visual autonomy that no character in or possible for Smash provides (except maybe Marshal). More importantly, they could serve as a 3-in-1 character that shift each other out for different attacks. They would reprise their main Glee Club gimmick for their Neutral Special, which casts them out in a line with the option to create a consistent rhythm for steady damage or break the tempo for more damage and knockback. Would cover a lot of space too. Also, they could bring in the Conductor (TOGEEETHER NOW~) for a cameo special move, effectively upgrading them to a quartet in a sense. Their "blank slate" designs also help them by a long shot for allowing them to reference just about every other RH minigame without breaking character consistency.

Then we have the alternative...

Rhythm Kids (Marshal, Cam, & Miss Ribbon)

While slightly more obscure than the Chorus Kids, these three have been prominently featured in Rhythm Heaven Fever and its promotional materials (such as the Puzzle Swap panel for Rhythm Heaven Fever.) Have a trophy on Smash Wii U as well. They can do just about the same things as the Chorus Kids, but with more personalities.

Marshal

Just about the closest thing Rhythm Heaven has to a main character. Frontlines the Rhythm Kids and maintains ambiguous cameos in several Rhythm Heaven Fever minigames, which may be confused for one of the Chorus Kids.

Take the self-referentiality applied to the Chorus Kids and he'll work. Considerably less groundbreaking than them, but might be an option to take if the Chorus Kids prove too difficult in concept.

Rhythm Monkey

Considered to be a series mascot. Maintains consistent appearances across all games, being the star of several minigames, and even has some redesigns to work as alt costumes a la Pikachu or Jigglypuff. Notably has an unlockable StreetPass Mii Plaza hat. Also has a "multiple species" factor a la Yoshi or the Pokémon.

Divided between Marshal and the Chorus Kids for self-referentiality being his only real uniqueness. The tambourine and clock tower minigames may be guaranteed for him though. Otherwise, iconicity dulls slightly to the former two.
Rhythm Girl

Nothing to big other than being a recent promotional for Rhythm Heaven Fever. Rhythm Heaven has a history of using cutesy female characters for different minigames, with most of them falling under this generic identity.

I see nothing but self-referentiality and a couple exclusive minigames for special fodder. The Reporter makes a better character than her! Neeeeext!

Whew, that's it for those "rhythm" characters.

Wrestler & Reporter

"Wubba-dubba-dah is that true?"
"YES!"
"Pose for the fans!?"
"RRAAAARGHHH!"

This duo was one of the most notable minigames from Rhythm Heaven Fever. Notable enough to get a trophy on Smash Wii U too! Most people support them due to their minor meme status, with seemingly nothing more.

Rather limited moveset potential outside of one minigame and a reskin of the same one. Heavy artistic licenses would be needed to flesh out. Espouses the concept of a music character very poorly. Otherwise, grade-A Assist Trophy material!

Karate Joe

Perhaps the only minigame star to have his minigame reiterated for every successive Rhythm Heaven game, including the upcoming 3DS release! Popularity is bordering on the Chorus Kids and Marshal within the Smash fanbase. Got a trophy on Smash 3DS too!

Has his own minigame to easily have one or a couple specials to borrow from. Might lean towards more action-oriented minigames for self-referentiality, but with considerably much less to choose from than Marshal and his ilk. Like Wrestler & Reporter, his martial arts design makes a really awkward fit for a music character. Save it for an Assist Trophy!

The Dazzles

CAN YOU HANDLE 48 PLAYER SMASH!?

These sexy sextuplets would crash the game faster than the US stock market! XD

If there's anything the Gematsu leak did right for RH, it's that it's notoriety basically perpetuated the Chorus Kids into the Smash fandom, especially since they never made it in alongside Chrom. In fact, the Chorus Kids remain to have a moderate poll presence in the Ballot, frontlining their series from the lot of potential characters by miles strides. I expect that we'll see the Kids and co. stick around well into Smash 5's speculation period, where RH might be stronger with a more robust game lineup. Only time will tell.

Want - 40.3%: If a Rhythm Heaven character made it in, I would be very exuberant. That series being a pretty self-insular rhythm game would provide great amaglamation material for a character. Besides, a rhythm-based fighting style could make its way to Smash through whoever it is. Not to mention, music games are just about the only notable game genre yet to be represented in Smash (that I can think of off the bat.) Oh, and it would shack up quite well to its sister WarioWare franchise, which is produced by the same team to the extent of crossing over in Game & Wario.

But on the other hand, you're bringing in a brand-spankin' new franchise in, which could better help Smash 5 when time comes. I'd rather avoid any RH character altogether for now.

Especially because RH is a major recent franchise, it would feel very shameful if we didn't eventually get a character from that franchise in Smash. It's practically a lock!

PREDICTION

Elma/Cross... or Elmacross

Chance: 9.87%
Want: 22.34%

That's a pairing name for ya. Oh wait, Cross isn't actually spelled X? Wut!?

NOMINATIONS

*Concept: Smash 5 has 10 Year Wait Cycle x2
*Concept: No DLC Characters After Fighter Ballot x2
*Concept: (Shin) Megami Tensei Character (includes Persona & Devil Survivor) x1

Last edited:

colder_than_ice

Smash Lord
Concept - Rhythm Heaven Rep
Chance: 25% - I feel that if they were going to include a Rhythm Heaven character then the best chance to do it would have been on the initial roster before DLC. But it still gets points for being a very popular franchise.
Want: 50% - Honestly, I'm more interested in the music.

Elma prediction: 6%
Cross prediction: 7%

Nominations: Jibanyan x5

DAY OVER

FO' SHO'

BluePikmin11

Akko is my dear daughter!
NNID
blue
Early rating from me again, because I like rating early for people to read and I have bedtime soon. :L
Cross Chance:
25%
(I used my 35 Factors to Consider Thread to rate this character, which you can find here.)
The main character of Xenoblade X, the sequel of Shulk's decently popular, critically acclaimed, and established franchise. With the franchise moving forward and evolving so rapidly with it's story, graphics, and gameplay, I could really see Sakurai considering Cross pre-ballot given the tremendous amount of effort (a large larger amount than the average quality Nintendo game) put into the game, he may think the game has earned merit to earn a character like with Lucas and pull a Roy situation here. He does provide some uniqueness here, this is taken from the Xenoblade wiki and it's based on his starting class, no story spoilers involved:

-An assault rifle (with laser shots, for those questioning if it's a real-life gun, which it isn't.) Can also be used as a melee weapon with his assault hammer.
-A knife. (Though this is probably not going to be used in his moveset.)
-A fire grenade.
-A temporary super-armor support move that defends against enemies.

There is certainly some potential and distinct characteristics that he has that would separate him from other characters.
To be honest, I can't really see much blocking his inclusion honestly other than the fact that he doesn't want to prioritize a niche series (which I don't see happening given with Sakurai and his diversity on choices.) or the fact he's making a low amount of character DLC. (which I also doubt.)

He hasn't been leaked as of yet, so I can't really give him a larger chance than 25% as of now, he doesn't have a large amount of noticeable evidence to be considered any likelier.

Elma Chance:
3%
Seems to be the side-character of the game really, and I don't see that happening given how they chosen the less-popular Villager over Tom Nook. Cross basically does the same thing as Elma really since Cross can adjust to any class, I see little reason to expect Elma over Cross if he gets chosen for DLC.

9-Volt Prediction:
3.12% Yeah, a lot of people aren't going to pay attention to the wants here and give a low rating anyway. You should read them.

Nominations:
x5 Jibanyan

Last edited:

colder_than_ice

Smash Lord
CONCEPT
RHYTHM HEAVEN CHARACTER
CHANCE: 46.74%
WANT: 57.11%
It seems lots of you still have faith in a Rhythm Heaven. Next up we're rating the main protagonists of Xenoblade Chonicles X both Cross and Elma. Also please predict what score 9-Volt will get tomorrow.

Last edited:

Icedragonadam

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-5227-6397-6112
Cross:

Chances: 9% He's kind of a new character. And I don't see much requests for him in the Ballot. But Xenoblade has gotten recent popularity.

Elma:

Chances 10%. Same reasons as Cross. Although because of the recent effort to put in more female characters in Smash Bros.

Prediction:

9-Volt: 2.67%

Nominate Lloyd Irving x5.

Zerp

Formerly "ZeroSoul"
Administrator
Writing Team
Feminine Elmo: Chance:5% Main character along with Cross of Xenoblade X, Does'nt have much demand. I don't have much time today so I'll edit this later. Sorry about that.
Want: 0% I don't really have any reason to want her and I believe Xeno series is fairly represented.

Crass: Chance: 5% Same as above
Want: Same as above
Nominations: DarkMatter (kirby) x 5
Every day until he gets his chance to shine.

Predictions: 9-Volt 5%

Last edited:

NintenRob

Rising YouTuber
NNID
trpdm.wilton
Elma and Cross
Chance: both 2%
Why should they be in? There are plenty of other more beloved, iconic and meaningful characters. We already have Shulk from Xenoblade.
Want: Both 0%
There are PLENTY of other characters who should be dlc. I hadn't even heard of cross before today.

nominate R.O.B. eye bug fix x5

predition: 9-volt 8%

D

Deleted member

Cross

Chance: 25%

Elma

Chance: 15%

Xenoblade X has yet to be available worldwide, but Cross (the avatar, or the "Robin" of Xenoblade X) and Elma (the "Chrom") seem to be the two most prominent characters.

As @ BluePikmin11 BluePikmin11 stated himself, Cross can be any class you want him to be in Xenoblade X, possibly granting him all of Elma's abilities and then some if he were in a Smash game. Because of this, I can imagine Cross being the sole Xenoblade X representative. Considering the limited amount of DLC characters there might be, I doubt we're getting both unless one happens to be an alt of the other.

As for my opinion on the chances of Xenoblade X representation in general, it's essentially the same as the Inklings. Cross and Elma don't have the same high demand as them, but I still see it going either way since the game has still not been released in most regions yet. When that happens, maybe Cross or Elma will see greater demand unless the ballot deadline turns out to be sometime before Xenoblade X is available worldwide, which is why my total rating is 40% rather than 50%.

Want for Both: 100%

I'm all for Xenoblade X representation. Imagine if Cross or Elma coincided with a stage based on the technologically advanced city of New Los Angeles as a contrast to the original Xenoblade's grassy Gaur Plain.

Prediction: 9-Volt - 5%

Nomination: Zael x5

Last edited by a moderator:

JBRPG

Smash Journeyman
Cross:

Chance: 5%
Want: 5%

Elma:

Prediction:
9 Volt: 11%

Nomination: Bayonetta x 5

Last edited:

Double0Groove

Smash Ace
Cross andElma:
Chance: 25%
It all depends on how things work out with the Inklings. If they make it into the roster, then I'll raise their chances up to 50%( regardless of how the Inklings would've gotten in).

Want: 35%
I'm excited enough for the game to want them alittle.

Prediction: 9-Volt
Want: 18%

Nomination: Sora x5

Aetheri

W/E happens don't panic...
Switch FC
SW-3397-5428-2304
Elma/Cross

Chance: Rating applies to both 15%
From the latest Xenoblade X, which is still only available in Japan. There may be a slight possibility of either of them getting in as predetermined DLC to go with the release of Xenoblade X outside of Japan, otherwise I feel their chances are not that great between the two of them simply because of the fact that Xenoblade is still a growing franchise, especially internationally. Shulk got in the base game as a Xenoblade character to introduce the franchise, but getting a second rep for a separate DLC is a different story. I'd be willing to wager their chances are better for Smash 5 in the base roster but as DLC, like I said only predetermined DLC to go with the release. Their support on the ballot surely isn't that great given the fact that they are still part of a newer franchise, especially with the whole 'everybody wants to avoid spoilers' and such...Sure we got the Inklings who are getting a ton of support for a character that hasn't even been released yet, but they are being marketed like crazy as opposed to Xenoblade who's marketing is still notable but not to the same extent as Splatoon.

----

Want: Rating applies to both 25%
I mean I haven't played any Xenoblade yet, I might pick up X once I manage to dig myself out of a financial hole, as the game looks fairly interesting to me...But I can't really have a solid opinion on either of these characters since I'd want to play the game first hand...y'know without spoilers...or at least minimizing spoilers...

----

Prediction: 9.5%
9-Volt
Been trying to figure out how he'd work in Smash...still have no idea...maybe like GnW and RH he could pull stuff from the various mini-games as he is a Nintendo fanatic so imagine him throwing Samus's morph ball or throwing the excitebiker at people...perhaps his skateboard could work like Wario's bike but weaker...perhaps he could throw 18-volt's boombox?...iunno...

----

Nominations:
Dark Samus x5
Samus has two doppelgangers! Both of which have been the main antagonists for their respective games...y'know, ICYDK...

RaenUE

Smash Cadet
NNID
RaenUE
3DS FC
0705-3752-9517
Elma and Cross:
Chances (Both): Abstain
I don't particularly care for Xenoblade (I've heard it's good, but it's not my kind of game), so I haven't been following the news surrounding X. Due to my absolute lack of enthusiasm (and subsequent lack of information and desire to obtain it), I'll be abstaining rating their chances today.
Want (Both): 15%
+10% for "there are worse reps", +10% for contemporary, -5% for no attachment to them or their series

9 Volt Prediction:
Still 9%

Nomination:
*Concept: (Shin) Megami Tensei Character (includes Persona & Devil Survivor) x5

CaptainAmerica

Smash Master
NNID
TomOfHyrule
Cross/Elma

Chance: 1%
So, the main character from the latest game in a niche franchise that is about a month old? And doesn't even have a release date outside of Japan?
Sorry to be that guy.

I really don't see much for these. Neither is really striking as an awesome character, considering that nobody knows about them. And there is a difference in doing research on characters and a character being a black box. We should look up the characters before we rate, but the average gamer should also be able to at least recognize a character in Smash without having to go to Google and ask "who's the anime guy in ssb?". In case anyone's wondering, yes, I looked up both the wikipedia article for the game, and the individual character pages for both - not that much is on any of these being that the game is brand new. And I still don't see much potential.
For those who haven't gotten to it yet, Elma and Cross, and the game itself.

But for all of the fanbase in Japan (is it really that big since I haven't even heard the name 'Cross' come up?), the series is still relatively unknown in the US. It seems unlikely that any XCX DLC they make would sell as well as, say an established character from an established franchise or a veteran. Besides, didn't we mention that Japan doesn't get the whole concept of voting-characters-like-Inklings-in-the-ballot-since-the-game-isn't-out? Same concept applies here - not many people have played the game, so not many people can support the unknown.

And another argument people hate - does Xenoblade really need more representation. For a (now) two game series, they've got a PC (who is one of the few playable characters to pop into existence without any series representation whatsoever in the previous games), an assist trophy, a stage, and now a Mii costume as well, not to mention a horde of trophies. For such a brand new series, that may be more than enough.

Besides, as much as Sakurai doesn't care about spoilers, anyone who doesn't know Shiek is Zelda needs to get out from under their rock. But putting in these characters would make it so easy to spoil, and this is still too new for people to be ok with that.

Oh, and before anyone says "But Roy was in Melee before his game came out, and that was to get Americans interested in his series!" That's half-true. The non-JP versions were going to cut the FE characters, so that wasn't their goal. Yes, Roy did debut in Melee, but that hasn't happened since. That seems like more the exception than the norm. And besides, an intelligent business should promote DLC they know will sell, not promote DLC that they hope will be advertising - a YouTube video is cheaper than making a character.
Want: 0%
I don't really care about Shulk in the first place, and I definitely don't need more from his series. Especially since there are characters who have existed for longer than a month who people have been requesting for much longer. Particularly ones who are sight-recognizable by a casual Nintendo fan.

"The battle of Nintendo All-Stars"
9-Volt: Sticking with 4.8%
Noms: Stage Packs x5

D

Deleted member

Cross/Elma ( Xenoblade Chronicles X Characters )

Well, here we go. Two Characters from the newest title in the Xenoblade series.
I'm running into the voting with minimal knowledge on most of this new game, so bear with me please!

Cross
( reffered to as He for this )

Chances : 30%
Want : Kindof/Meh

The "Shulk" of X. The main playable character. He has a ton of customizable options, so it can be like Villager where there is male/female costumes each with a different color. I would like to see what this guy looks by default though, that would set the ground for making my rating a bit higher. His chances are slim given that X is JP right now... but when that game goes US, i'm definitely gonna aim for getting it and trying it out. Oh and yes, i would like to know how Cross rolls too.

Elma

Chances : 46%
Want : Yes, but not REALLLLLLLY hyped or crazy for it.

The companion/friend to Cross as it looks like to me. Elma could provide a whole new moveset and DEFINITELY awesome representation for Xenoblade in Smash, as she is associated with X's stuff big time ( especially during pre-release ). Also, a tough lady, we can use more of them of course.

So overall, the fact that X is yet to be in the US is what hurts their chances, but i honestly wouldnt mind seeing them in Smash. In fact, i'd like it! Single-rep universes suck, unless that universe is LITERALLY meant for single rep ( :4duckhunt: )

Edit : Like KingBro said, New LA for a new Xenoblade stage = instant WIN!!!. I see it as the top of a building with various Doll robots flying by occasionally or maybe interacting with battle in a way. You can also see some LA life such as passing by cars on the street, citizens, etc.

Last edited by a moderator:

Erureido

Smash Hero
NNID
Erureido
3DS FC
5301-1552-4121
Switch FC
SW-4754-8756-2004
I've been busy to the point I didn't have time to rate some characters lately, but luckily, I found the time to do so today.

Chance: 20% (Both)

Perhaps I should start with the positives as to why they could worth the DLC slots. Adding either Cross or Elma would be a great way to promote a recently released game (in this case, Xenoblade Chronicles X), much like how people want Inkling to become a DLC fighter in order to promote Splatoon. In addition, both Elma and Cross can yield guns in battle (Elma yielding dual guns while Cross can use a rifle). Currently, there is a noticeable lack of gun users in the Smash Bros 4 roster compared to the brawlers and sword users. We only have Fox, Falco, Samus, Zero Suit Samus, Megaman, Mii Gunner, and that's it. By adding Cross, Elma, or both (though highly doubtful), it helps that small amount of gun fighters. Of course, Elma can also yield double swords while Cross can use a knife, so they can both have interesting movesets by being able to change between their respective weapons during battle.

But why would they not have such a good chance to join the roster, going off the chance percentage I gave them? The biggest reason I've noticed is that there doesn't seem to be huge demand for these characters, mainly because Xenoblade Chronicles X is still a fairly new game in Japan at the moment and is yet to be released internationally. Even in the weeks leading up to the games Japanese launch, I haven't noticed an all-out promotional, marketing campaign to get people informed about what the game has to offer compared to Splatoon (a game with such a huge promotional, marketing campaign that essentially a good majority of Nintendo fans are aware about the game by now). I feel like if Xenoblade Chronicles X was promoted more than it currently has or a year has gone by since the game's launch, then there would be a much higher demand for either Cross or Elma because gamers would be much more familiar with them compared to right now. Then again, one can argue adding Cross/Elma to Smash would help Smashers learn about Xenoblade Chronicles X, which leads back to my first argument as to why they could be worth the roster.

I think Cross and Elma both have an equal chance to the roster because they both seem to be the main protagonists in the story, going off what I learned about them from the Xenoblade wiki and the trailers. Cross is supposed to the customizable avatar and the "Shulk" in the story, but Elma is just as an important character in addition to being Cross's main companion. Naturally, Cross would be the better option considering what I just said about him, but I think Elma has an equal chance to Cross because she's female, and it would be good to add more female fighters to the Smash Bros roster.

Want: 65% (Both)

While they are not my most interested characters for Smash, they both look really interesting to me. I particularly like the fact they can yield guns, and I previously explained how adding either of them would be a great to up the number of gun users in the Smash Bros roster. I also think either of them would a nice touch to the Xenoblade representation to the Smash Bros roster. What I mean is this: Shulk looks to be more of a character from a traditional setting, going off of his Smash Bros stage, Gaur Plains, and his hometown, while Cross and Elma are obviously coming from a modern and futuristic setting, and their Smash Bros stage would easily be New Los Angeles. In a sense, one rep (Shulk in this case) would represent a sort-of "traditional style" character while the other rep (Cross or Elma in this case) would represent a sort of "futuristic style" character from the Xenoblade series. If they don't get into Smash 4 as DLC, I'm sure they'll get into Smash Bros 5.

Nominations:

I'm once again going to nominate the two fighters I previously voted for. Since it's been several days since I last posted on this thread, I'll once again share some brief information about both fighters. Yes, their chances are quite slim, but I'll nominate regardless since they are the only other fighters I'm interested in seeing in Smash Bros aside from Professor Layton.

Jean Descole: x4 (Descole is the main villain of the second trilogy of the Layton games and a very capable fighter in a variety of levels)
Gallade: x1 (Gallade is a Pokemon, my favorite as well, that first appeared in the Pokemon Diamond/Pearl games who recently got a really cool-looking mega-evolution in OR/AS, which is what my current avatar is. He is the split evolution of Gardevoir and is a Psychic/Fighting type.)

Delzethin

Character Concept Creator
NNID
Delzethin
The future is not written!

Unfortunately, that's the problem.

--

Elma & Cross

Chance: Abstain (Both)
Want: Abstain (Both)

I can't. I just can't give these two a rating with how little we still know. There are so many outside factors that determine a character's viability, and...we're mostly in the dark. Here's what we do know: both are major characters from Xenoblade Chronicles X, Monolith Soft's brand new RPG meant to be a spiritual successor to surprise classic Xenoblade Chronicles.

Cross is a player avatar through and through (as far as we know), with an appearance you can set to your whims and with a wide variety of character classes to pick from. Unless Monolith Soft pulls off something mind-blowing (which isn't out of the question, because it's Monolith Soft), Cross seems...more of a player surrogate than a fully realized character. Cross has no (apparent) default appearance, class, or arts to consider signature attacks. For all the arguments about Robin being an avatar character, at least Robin had a default class that was wholly unique, and a fully realized and rounded personality!

Meanwhile, though she isn't the character the player will experience the world of Mira through, Elma seems more like the actual protagonist of the game. With a fleshed out personality, class, and techniques, she has a distinct identity that'd help nail down exactly what she could do in Smash. What that would be, and whether it'd be unique enough to stand out on the roster, remains to be seen. Overall, I feel like Elma has a better chance than Cross does.

Problem is...there are still too many unknowns. I mean, I'm still going off such limited information because Xenoblade Chronicles X is still at least a few months away from an international release! We haven't had any time yet for the fanbase to experience these characters, see for themselves who they are and what they're capable of, and decide how well they'd fit in Smash. And since it doesn't look like Nintendo will make DLC characters solely for promotional purposes, going off the fact that the only thing they're doing for Splatoon is a Mii costume promo, it'll still be a long time before we can gauge their viability properly!

For the time being, we shouldn't get so caught up on visions of the future. We have other things to focus on right now.

9-Volt Prediction: 0.85%
@ BandanaWaddleDee BandanaWaddleDee , can you do us a favor and explain your idea to us? What would 9-Volt's moves and playstyle be like? What could he bring to Smash?

Nominations:
Concept: Alpha-Form Stages x5

Still biding my time...but expect something new soon.

Last edited:

WeirdChillFever

Smash Hero
Monita x5

X and Elmo's sister
14% Chance
0% Want

I think when it comes to him, he has a chance at appearing.
He's new, he's unique and comes from a established series.

I don't see him as likely either, because of the fact he's so new and fresh.
He doesn't have any spotlight yet and we don't know how the game will sell.

Yeah, I wrote this rating for Cross, but you could apply it to Elma as well.

Last edited:

IvanQuote

Smash Ace
NNID
ivanquote
3DS FC
1693-3075-2999
Elma and Cross:

Chance: 3%

The game is too new to get a moveset or a sizable fanbase for character want. I don't know what either can do, as I'm avoiding spoilers like the plague, so this is my main argument.

Want: Abstain

I know nothing of them, so I cannot make any want on them

9-volt pre:
Chance: 20%

Want: 20%

Nom:

Moonstruck Blossom x2
Homecoming Hijinx x3

Strider_Bond00J

Smash Champion
Switch FC
SW-2525-8699-9095
Elma and Cross Chance: 4% (Both)
With both of them coming from a brand new instalment in the Xenoblade series when the series just got Shulk, I think getting one or the other at this point might be a bit pushing it.

Elma and Cross Want: Not at this moment - 0%.
Don't get me wrong - I love Xenoblade - and especially looking forward to Xenoblade Chronicles X! If Xenoblade Chronicles X was successful and in the Smash series future, they could go back and bring one of the two as the XCX representative. But what if in 6 years time, we get Xenoblade 4 and there's even more potential? I think Nintendo has a plan for Xenoblade's future - but would Cross and Elma remain relevant to the future generations of gamers?

Nominations: Ghirahim X3
Sylux X2

ShinyRegice

Smash Lord
Both chances: 60% because MUH RELEVANCE RECENCY!!!!1!1!!

Cross chances: 4.2%
Elma chances: 5%
I honestly think Xenoblade Chronicles X has an excellent shot at getting a playable character in Smash 5. This game is a big deal for the Wii U and is part of the now established Xenoblade franchise which Nintendo seems to want to push as their flagship action JRPG series, the game's settings are very different from the predecessor and a character from XCX would likely be very different from Shulk in their moveset. The game also seems to be very ambitious and I doubt it will be forgotten in the future unless the franchise becomes milked.

That said, I have trouble imagining the game getting a playable character in SSB4 through DLC. Sure, it is a big deal, but if any post-SSB4 game is getting a playable character I always thought Inkling would be the obvious choice considering how much Nintendo is pushing it to be successful and which only lacks a character in Smash Bros. to be a fully established franchise, which is a different situation from a game from an already established series. But even then I'm doubting about their chances since recently, considering a Mii costume is less risky to not feel like blatant advertisement and I have my doubts about them being workable because the ink mechanic (I really can't see an Inkling in Smash Bros. without it) would most likely cause huge technical trouble especially in the 3DS version; if I had to rerate them I'd probably give them a 15% chances score and consider them more likely for Smash 5 when the next systems will be more powerful and have no problem to handle them.

I think the only shot a Xenoblade Chronicles X character has to be in SSB4 DLC is as one of the latest DLC additions (to lower the risk of feeling like blatant advertisement) if they get enough support, and as such I don't think they're likely at all. Though their chances for SSB5 are much higher as I already said. I gave a higher chances score to Elma than Cross since the situation is not really comparable to Chrom and Robin, since Elma doesn't suffer from Chrom's redundancy issues while Cross doesn't have a default, standing-out class contrary to Robin (please correct me if I'm wrong about the later).

Cross want: 12%
Elma want
: 28%
I'm not really interested in having a XCX character in SSB4 DLC at this point. The game just seems... too new. I'm sure I'll fully support one of them for SSB5 if I like XCX (which I'm expecting to do since I'm enjoying Xenoblade) but one of them getting as SSB4 DLC would scream "MUH RELEVANCE RECENCY" to me as I'm not sure they've earned a deserved spot in Smash Bros. yet. I'm giving a higher want score to Elma since I like her design and Cross honestly seems to be a bit too generic of an avatar to me.

9-Volt prediction: 6.49%
I'm not sure if a lot of people here are familiar with him. I'm not expecting high scores.

Nominating:
Concept: Battlefield form stages x3
Playable newcomer: Tetrimino x2

Last edited:

[Obnoxshush/Dasshizer]

Off floating somewhere
Cross
Chance: 10%

Elma

I don't know too much about these characters, so I'm waiting to learn more about them first.

Predictions: 9-Volt 15%

Nominations: BB bandit trio X5.

PK_Wonder

Smash Lord
My want score in no way reflects my hype for XCX as a whole. If anything, I'm strongly expecting it to be one of my personal top 3 for GOTY 2015, and possibly the new release I will invest the most time in this year. I got XC Day 1 and was obsessed with it for about a month and a half, and Shulk was always my #3 most wanted character for Sm4sh (after Ridley and King K. Rool). Everything about XCX is bigger and better by my standards. I love jrpgs with convoluted plots and complex battle systems, I love sci-fi and giant fighting mechs, I love open world experiences with endless exploration, and I love that extra boost of "Nintendo quality," so this game is like heaven to me.

That said, I only give Cross and Elma a 20% want. They will probably be in my top ten for Smash 5 wants, but since DLC slots are undoubtedly limited, I don't think any brand new character should or will get a slot, the possible exception being Inklings because they are coming out like right now.

I do think any currently established characters with upcoming games/a future will get high priority, and if these characters don't have those upcoming roles revealed at E3, only the ballot can save them. High ballot performance + an upcoming role is a double win, however, so any characters who have a prominent role in a game at Nintendo's E3 are really in a good spot for DLC.

XCX will probably be critically acclaimed and be a cult hit like its predecessor, so it could get some last minute fan demand helping out for this game. Like I said though, it won't really shine until Smash 5. Cross, the player character, is in some ways like Robin, as the make-it-who-you-want blank slate, but doesn't have a default role to give it an obvious or iconic moveset, so Elma, the Chrom-tagonist of this game, might be the one to triumph between the two this time.

To reflect,
20% want for both.
3% chance for Cross
3.25% chance for Elma

nominate: Hades x5

Last edited:
Chance abstain
want abstain
@ Delzethin Delzethin pretty much has my argument word for word.
i just dont know enough. And with XCX being my most hyped game right now i dont WANT to do the research in fear of spoilers.
chronicles is my 2nd favorite game and the story was a big part of that love. Sorry :p

I will say it would probably be a decent want score if i had played the game.

Prediction 2.5%

Noms
viridi 3
ganon 2

Last edited:
Top Bottom