• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Rate their Chances: the DLC Edition. Day: 192: The final day

Arthreeteseven

Smash Ace
Just to be clear, the most important criteria that I judge potential Smash bros. characters by is whether of not they could be considered a "Nintendo All-Star".
That is not to say that characters are chosen only by this criteria, but any character that does not have a notable history with Nintendo does not belong in Smah brothers, in my opinion. (hence why I'm not supporting most of the 3rd party characters)

That negativity aside here is my thoughts on Banjo Kazooie:
Apologies to old Bird Brain but I will be referring to the duo simply as Banjo from here on out.

Chances: 15%

In a better world Rare would have never left Nintendo and Banjo Threeie would have come out early on in the Gamecube's run. Banjo and Rare would have had a profitable career with Nintendo and he would have been an obvious choice for Brawl, most likely he would have been featured in the first Brawl trailer as nobody would've been surprised that he would be in the game. In this magical fantasy world we would be currently arguing over why Gruntilda keeps getting the shaft and whether or not Conker is a viable DLC character despite being an assist trophy in Sm4sh. Sadly we don't live in that world, here in reality Rare has not been a subsidiary of Nintendo for nearly a decade. and Banjo and his Rare pals haven't joined there would be Nintendo allies despite having been more then deserving of the opportunity.

I don't really have anything to contribute to the argument regarding why Banjo is not going to be a playable character. The sad truth is that a complicated deal between two large companies like Nintendo and Microsoft is very unlikely, especially in a world where Nintendo is falling a little bit behind its main competitors. I firmly believe that Nintendo and Microsoft could reach an amicable decision in which they both benefit from Banjo in Sm4sh, but honestly its just not going to happen.

I gave a 15% instead of a 5%(or lower) for a very simple reason. Banjo is absolutely a "Nintendo All-Star" he stared in two incredible games that helped define the N64 as the excellent console that we all remember it being. If we remove all the "Adult Circumstances" and look at history of just the Nintendo games themselves, one can't help but wonder why that beloved bear and bird were lost along the way.

Want: 100%

Banjo is an excellent character form a beloved franchise that has a stronger connection with Nintendo then ANY of the 3rd party characters that we have ever had in a Smash Brothers game. Please don't take this as a radical opinion, I simply mean to convey that the Banjo Kazooie games were actually published by Nintendo, whereas the other 3rd party characters merely had games on the Nintendo consoles that were made independent of Nintendo as a company, with very few exceptions therein.
(I still love :4sonic::4megaman::4pacman:, and I think they deserve a spot in Sm4sh)

In other words if the Rare buyout had never happened then Banjo would not be considered a "3rd party" character at all, he would be a Nintendo character in the same way that :4shulk: is, and for that matter any other Nintendo characters that began form an independent studio, like my beloved :4kirby:.

I love the original Banjo games, they were some of the best I had ever played on my N64 back int he early 2000s. In my opinion, Banjo is an important part of Nintendo history, and the opportunity of getting Banjo back in the Nintendo family for at least one last adventure is worth fighting for. I hope that Nintendo agrees with me and finds someway to clear up the "Adult Circumstances" that surround this issue.

Prediction:
Issac: 35/60

Nominations:
Inkling 2
Pichu 2
Captain Toad 1

Nimbostratus

Smash Journeyman
Banjo-Kazooie
Chance: 5%
The good news is that they have a lot of supporters, and there is of course Phil Spencer's comment. However… the potential issues are too obvious to need mentioning.
Want- 0%
Microsoft is the worst thing ever. I don't care how cool Banjo & Kazooie are, I would NEVER support anything that competes agains t Nintendo. What if an appearance in Smash lead to them making another Banjo game, perhaps one more faithful to the first two? We can't have that! Sorry folks, it's just business.

Want- 100%
Banjo & Kazooie are really cool, and an appearance in Smash could lead to them making another Banjo game, perhaps one more faithful to the first two. As much as I love Nintendo, I'm not sure if it goes so far as wanting this beloved series to be squashed into oblivion. We all know where Banjo came from. I'd welcome him back in whatever way possible.

Isaac Predictions- 56%
Funny that the first three ratings are for my favorite three choices.

PK_Wonder

Smash Lord
Banjo-Kazooie
Funny that the first three ratings are for my favorite three choices.
Same here. There are only four characters that I will give a 100% want score to, and three of them are the first three we are rating. The fourth is Paper Mario, and he'll probably not have to wait long either.

Last edited:

ZecaOMestre

Smash Apprentice
Banjo-Kazooie

The only thing they got going for them is their huge popularity between Nintendo fans. They're owned by Microsoft, one of Nintendo's biggest competitor in the market as of right now. Why would Nintendo give their competitor free publicity. Also, we don't know how the whole 3rd Party DLC would work and if Nintendo will even do it.

Want: 60%
They're cool, just nothing special

Isaac Prediction: 59%

Rockaphin

Smash Champion
NNID
Rockaphin
3DS FC
2595-0113-8473
Banjo & Kazooie:
Chance: 10%

Not out of the possibility realm, but it's highly unlikely in my eyes. Even if Microsoft would like to see them in Smash, I doubt Nintendo and Microsoft would get together for this, sadly.

Want: 80%

This would probably be higher if I played Banjo as a kid. I only remembered him as a playable character in Diddy Kong Racing and he sucked. I recently played Banjo-Kazooie and it's an amazing game and I could definitely see some potential.

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
I only had a brief time playing Banjo and Kazooie and Tooie on the N64, and the brief time I had personally irritated the crap out of me. I honestly thought the graphics, music, gameplay, and the concept of just collecting puzzle pieces are a bad blend altogether. That, and the lag, it's annoying noises when dialogue pops up, and humor ruined the experience for me. Their inclusion probably won't excite me that much, I'll probably enjoy the reactions more.

Isaac Prediction: 24.7% You do not know how excited I am for this day. I expect some overrating to happen. :p

Yomi's Biggest Fan

See You Next Year, Baby
NNID
Takamaru64
3DS FC
1375-7346-9605
Switch FC
SW-8277-6509-2593
Banjo & Kazooie:
Chance: 20%

While it isn't too unlikely, but I can tell that the bear and bird would have to go threw ugh a legal loophole in order to be in Smash thanks to Microsoft. But at least he has the popularity to back himself up and Phil is chill with his inclusion. Not only that, but the ex-Rare developers (PlayTonic Games) are pushing for his inclusion.

Witty humor and memorable characters are what makes Banjo Kazooie a nostalgia Rare title, which mostly comes from this dynamic duo. While many fools would believe he can be a Duck Hunt clone, they can use a variety of eggs and other tag team attacks to set themselves up. Even if old Nicrosoft owns them, these guys will always be considered Nintendo characters in my eyes. The day these two are in would be the day I'll thank Microsoft for doing every single Rare fan a favor. I rest my case on the subject! :')

Nominate: Daisy x5

Bill Nye

Smash Rookie
Banjo & Kazooie
I just don't think the outcry for them is big enough to get Nintendo to consider them. The younger portion of the smash fanbase probably doesn't even know who they are. These two are also competing against numerous other indies and third parties who aren't Nintendo's direct competitors, for a spot that may not even exist.

Want: 35%
I didn't grow up with them, but I know that this would be a huge reveal if it were to actually happen.

Nominations: Bandana Dee x 3
Ridley x 2

Fire_Voyager

Smash Journeyman
Banjo & Kazooie
Chance: 15%
Hard, but not that hard, Microsoft isn't doing anything with this IP, and some free publicity is a interesting deal.
Man, Sony "returned" Spiderman to Marvel for their cinematic world, retaining their ownership. and that means a LOT of money.
B-K are cheaper, but Smash can boost their sells. and a lot of people want them back, it makes a good deal for a "dead franchise"

We will never know why they weren't in the first one, in their prime... now they are in franchise hell (Like Megaman)... Smash is the door to get out of it. And we deserve a proper Banjo threeie.

Isaac
Prediction
: 60%

Nominations
Banjo-Kazooie x1
Isaac x1
Bub/Bob x2
Inkling x1

Last edited:

a smart guy

Smash Journeyman
Banjo and Kazooie
Chance: 0%
Sorry guys, it isn't going to happen. Nintendo wouldn't benefit from them, they haven't been in a recent game, and they don't have that unique of moveset potential. They have some fans, but that's about it.
Want: 20%
I haven't played any of their games, so I would rather have other characters.

Prediction: 51.3%

Nominations
Chibi-Robo x5

Jiggly

Drop the mic, cause these fools sleeping on me
The FBI Surveillance Van outside your house.
NNID
Jiggly101
Nintendo doesnt gain anything from adding Banjo, and it gives Microsoft more promotion.

Want: 10%
He would be neat. Not against him, but I'm not too familiar with their games, so not too tight with those two.

Isaac prediction: 70%

Nominate Bandana Dee x5

Last edited:

Pacack

Super Pac-Fan
NNID
Pacack
3DS FC
0688-5284-6845
I honestly do think that the predetermined role rule is a little silly. While it does kill the character's chance for the most part, we should still be able to rate the character...even if it's mainly for the want scores.

In Ridley's case specifically, you can argue that the clone Ridley that appears on Pyrosphere is not the same Ridley that appears in most other Metroid games.

Last edited:

PK_Wonder

Smash Lord
I honestly do think that the predetermined role rule is a little silly. While it does kill the character's chance for the most part, we should still be able to rate the character...even if it's mainly for the want scores.

In Ridley's case specifically, you can argue that the clone Ridley that appears on Pyrosphere is not the same Ridley that appears in most other Metroid games.
@ colder_than_ice colder_than_ice , thoughts?

I would personally like to see us vote on at least the following, if not just to see the want score. Even though I think they are all not going to be considered for DLC, it might be a nice little super early prediction at who will be popular in five years or whatever when Smash NX is being planned.

Waluigi
Ridley
Skull Kid
Chrom
Ghirahim
Zoroark
Dark Samus
Lyn
Excitebiker
Tom Nook
Tingle
Ashley
Takamaru
Meowth
Samurai Goroh
Dillon

BluePikmin11

Akko is my dear daughter!
NNID
blue

I would personally like to see us vote on at least the following, if not just to see the want score. Even though I think they are all not going to be considered for DLC, it might be a nice little super early prediction at who will be popular in five years or whatever when Smash NX is being planned.

Waluigi
Ridley
Skull Kid
Chrom
Ghirahim
Zoroark
Dark Samus
Lyn
Excitebiker
Tom Nook
Tingle
Ashley
Takamaru
Meowth
Samurai Goroh
Dillon
No Prince Sable in sight.
I am disappoint.

Aetheri

W/E happens don't panic...
Switch FC
SW-3397-5428-2304

Waluigi
Ridley
Skull Kid
Chrom
Ghirahim
Zoroark
Dark Samus
Lyn
Excitebiker
Tom Nook
Tingle
Ashley
Takamaru
Meowth
Samurai Goroh
Dillon
No Midna? :'(

If we actually doing that i want my 3 npc noms to go to ridley. (Petty sarcasm)

This would also mean viridi is 110% a legal nomination no questions asked

If only they had any chance :(

BandanaWaddleDee

Smash Lord
NNID
bdon25
3DS FC
1633-4187-3079
Switch FC
2967-5142-5603
Banjo-Kazooie hm?
Chance- 0% Microsoft owns the IP. MICROSOFT. Nuff said.

Want- 0% Never played a Banjo game, and I don't really know much about it.

Isaac. Chance- I'm gonna go a solid 85% on this one.

Nominations: Endou Mamoru x5

Smasher 101

Smash Lord
3DS FC
0877-3649-6314
Switch FC
SW-7628-2111-0913
If we were to rate assists and the like, I also wouldn't mind seeing Isabelle, Saki, and Starfy's want scores.

Last edited:

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
Let's just rate every AT/Pokeball.

D

Deleted member

Alright, you guys can nominate NPCs. I probably never should have blocked them to begin with.
Now we're really going to scrape the bottom of the barrel. I'll definitely be giving more 0% chance ratings than I had originally planned to.

Last edited by a moderator:
D

Deleted member

Personally, I don't think that we should rate characters with already defined roles.
Sure, it would be interesting to see their want scores, but we would be wasting our time giving zero percents and basically make no progress.

JaidynReiman

Smash Hero
NNID
JaidynReiman
Personally, I don't think that we should rate characters with already defined roles.
Sure, it would be interesting to see their want scores, but we would be wasting our time giving zero percents and basically make no progress.
I doubt we'd rate that many anyway.

Pacack

Super Pac-Fan
NNID
Pacack
3DS FC
0688-5284-6845
We'll only rate them if they're nominated.

Saying that them having defined roles takes them out of the running is still an opinion, regardless of how popular of one it is (I agree with it as well, personally). If people want to rate Ridley or Takamaru or something, then why not?

Besides, we can always double up on ratings when a character comes up that has a defined role in-game if we want to.

smileMasky

Smash Ace
NNID
TPPyro
3DS FC
1349-6667-1990
Chance -6%
it's a microsoft IP now and I don't think in any way in hell that they will put a competitor's IP in smash sorry If they buy him back that is a whole different story
Want-35%
I did grow up with the N64 but I was really poor at the time I only had 5 games growing with the system I did rent games and I have played it recently too I get how cool it would be to have this duo in but thats just a small part of me. Sorry guys, Though I have to admit that the inclusion would be cool only when Microsoft and the rest of the other certain AAA industry actually try to care for old IPs and not just PEW PEW PEW and HArD CORE BLOOD OMG kind of crap it tries to sell.

Nominate
Bandana Dee x3
Geno x2

FalKoopa

Rainbow Waifu
BRoomer
3DS FC
1650-3685-3998
Switch FC
SW-5545-7990-4793
The thing is, many people do believe Assist Trophies and the like have some chance, though they're obviously not the majority.

And well, we do have plenty of time. :p We will be scraping the bottom of the barrel much sooner if we block off ATs and Pokéballs.

:231:

colder_than_ice

Smash Lord
Banjo Kazooie

Chance: 3% - I'm only rating them this high because of Phil Spencer's tweet and even then I wouldn't look too much into it. He says there's "no issues" but I'm not convinced that everyone on both the Nintendo side and Microsoft side share his sentiment. It's not the first time that a notable person behind a third party franchise has expressed interest in getting their character into SSB and it won't be last.

Want: 55% - I loved playing Banjo Kazooie back when I was a kid, sadly I never finished it. I'd certainly enjoy seeing them playable but there are other characters I want more.

Isaac prediction: 59%

Nominations: Henry Fleming x5

DAY OVER
PLEASE WAIT WHILE I CALCULATE THE RESULTS

Last edited:

colder_than_ice

Smash Lord
BANJO KAZOOIE
CHANCE: 7.28%
WANT: 59.36%
The bear and bird didn't perform nearly as well as the crocodile, but they were able to rack up a total of 16 100% want ratings.

Next up we're rating Isaac from Golden Sun and something tells me he'll do much better than Banjo Kazooie. Please rate Isaac in chance and want, also predict what score Bandanna Dee will get tomorrow.

Last edited:

Icedragonadam

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-5227-6397-6112
Isaac

Chance: 56.78% He's fairly requested, and he's not an assist trophy making him behind K Rool in being DLC.

Want: 40% Not much of a Golden Sun fan. But he would probably be interesting.

Prediction:

Bandanna Dee:
19.87%

Nominate: Inklingx5

Smasher 101

Smash Lord
3DS FC
0877-3649-6314
Switch FC
SW-7628-2111-0913
So everyone knows, I'm resuming my old role and will be handing out the extra nominations each night.

@ colder_than_ice colder_than_ice wins the first set of extra nominations for getting the closest to Banjo & Kazooie's chance score.

Parallel_Falchion

Smash Lord
Isaac
Chance - 50%
This is an interesting one. Without the ballot, I'd put his chances much lower, because I don't believe the removal of his assist trophy meant anything. However, he is undeniably popular, and the ballot will (theoretically) help popular characters the most, so the removal of his assist trophy may actually be a stroke of good luck for him. Unfortunately, he still has the problem of being from a likely dead franchise, so I don't think his chances are particularly high.

Want - 35%
I wouldn't mind seeing him, but he's not high on my list of wanted characters.

Last edited:

Strider_Bond00J

Smash Champion
Switch FC
SW-2525-8699-9095
The Golden Sun is shining on the Third Day of Rate Their Chances!

Isaac's chances: 70%. I think Isaac's a safe bet.
+He's from a popular series that certainly earns a place in the grand celebration of Nintendo that is Super Smash Bros, bringing a unique take on the JRPG genre.
+Plenty of Psynergy/Djinn potential that can be taken from the Golden Sun series and implemented in creative movesets.
+Golden Sun didn't get as much love these games as it did in Brawl, and I think Isaac's inclusion as DLC would help to strengthen the series overall representation, not to mention he could be used to celebrate Golden Sun and promote a potential Golden Sun 4, which is probably overdue by now.

-However, I think he needs all the fan support he can get to be considered a 'shoe-in'.
-His Assist Trophy and the lack of Golden Sun representation is unusual, and it could lead to doubts about what Nintendo sees in the Golden Sun series.

Want: 90%
I first learned of Isaac through his inclusion as an Assist Trophy in Brawl, and started playing with Dark Dawn on the DS, then started playing the VC release of the original Golden Sun, making me the Adept that I am today. I'd love to see more Golden Sun content in Smash Bros 4, and if Little Mac could get promoted, why not Isaac? I'd love this to become a reality, especially if it came to this!

(Kudos to whoever made this amazing image!)

Might through in my nominations now -
Roy X3
Krystal X2

Last edited:

Oracle_Summon

Smash Hero
Isaac

Chance - 55% His chances are not looking that bad, but not that great either. His series only has two songs and no trophies in the game. Being a constant top choice among the polls helps him. Not being an Assist Trophy does keep one in good faith, but time will tell.

Want - 95% An old time Nintendo RPG that does not have a playable character. Original moveset to boot and cool design, Isaac would be awesome to have. (Hoping for a Lighthouse stage and Saturos theme, but that may be asking for too much.)

Bandanna Dee - Prediction
Chance - 36%
Want - 54%

Last edited:
Top Bottom