• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Rate their Chances: the DLC Edition. Day: 192: The final day

Scamper52596

Smash Lord
Premium
Kaptain K. Rool
Chance: 2.1%
I already think K. Rool himself is basically done for, so switching his most iconic look out for one of his personas is only going to make me feel like his chances are even worse. I'll give the Kaptain a small score of 2.1%.
If it makes you feel any better, just add this score to the one I gave K. Rool for a 9.1% chance...

Want: 0.5%
There's another pirate character that I want.

Reyn
Chance: 1%
I've said multiple times in the past that Xenoblade got its fair share of content in the base game, so I doubt Sakurai is looking at this franchise for possible DLC. I'll give Shulk's best friend a rating of only 1%.
I might as well just copy and paste my reasoning to every Xenoblade character we rate in the future...

Want: 20%
I do love Xenoblade so I wouldn't necessarily be against seeing one more character, but I'd much rather see DLC characters added to franchises that didn't get a new character in the base game.

BKupa666

Barnacled Boss
Kaptain K. Rool

Chance - Depends
If it's as a standalone fighter, 5%. I highly, highly doubt it, since it's not a case like Wario, where K. Rool has two different costumes of comparable importance and it's a matter of choosing the more distinct one. On the contrary, his Kaptain attire appeared in just two games, whereas King appeared in all the rest, discounting Country and Land 3. The only chance of this happening is if Sakurai pulls a curveball and decides to base a moveset entirely around the blunderbuss, which could happen (DKC2 is the fan-favorite of the original trilogy by a wide margin too), but seems completely out there at the moment.

If it's as a costume, I say 65%. I rated K. Rool himself getting in as 75%, and I think, if he gets in, they'll see how his fans near universally want him to have costumes and, having expanded the costume selection this time around anyway, will oblige and add in at least Kaptain.

Want - 100%

Reyn

Chance - 3%
One of many supporting characters from a minor series without a ton of support to propel him above any of the others, beyond meme value, let alone characters from other series.

Want - 1%

Magolor - 4.5%
Playable NPCs - 5%

Nominate Boss Battles Mode x5

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

(KAPTAIN) K. Rool

Chances : 10

Want : 97

Reyn

Chances : 11

Want : 98

Last edited by a moderator:

Troykv

Smash Master
Kaptain K. Rool

Chance: 10%

This one is a really weird option to see in Smash... But possible.

Want: 70%

Hey! He is still K. Rool :p

Reyn:

Double Abstain

Predictions:

Magolor: 7.5% (A little boost in his chances is possible)
Playable NPCs: 15% (And this one probably will get a drop)

Nominations:

Fire Emblem Stage DLC x3
Idolm@ster x2

Mmm ... This sure will upset several people, but I'm thinking about re-nominate Micaiah when the Final Data from Source Gaming's Article is done.

Smasher 101

Smash Lord
3DS FC
0877-3649-6314
Switch FC
SW-7628-2111-0913
Kaptain K. Rool's chances: 3%

I think it'd be more likely to be the King.

Want: 100%

K. Rool is K. Rool.

Reyn's chances: 0.5%
Want: 0%

It's not Reyn Time, sorry. See the last two Xenoblade ratings.

Magolor rerate prediction: 8.41%
Playable NPCs prediction: 18.12%

Nominations: Captain Rainbow x5

Icedragonadam

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-5227-6397-6112
Kaptain K Rool.

Chance: 8%
It's most likely going to be his King look.
Want:100%
It's still K. Rool.

Reyn:

Chance:0.2%
Want:20%

Predictions

Magolor rerate: 4.67%
Playable Npcs: 10.89%

Nominate Additional All-Star Battle Rounds x5.

Zilexion

Smash Cadet
Kaptain K. Rool:
Chance - Abstain
Want - Abstain
I'll be honest, this has taken me by surprise, that this would even be nominated... this is just K. Rool in a pirate outfit... they're the same kremling... if K. Rool were to be added as a fighter, chances are he'd be using attacks from his King, Kaptain, and Baron designs, and the possibility of all three designs being alts makes this even more baffling to me. So basically I fail to see the purpose of this nomination, I really fail to see the distinction that would justify this, but I guess that's just me.

Reyn:
Chance - 0%
Want - 100%
I'm a huge Xenoblade Chronicles fan, and I consider Shulk lucky that big daddy Sakurai included him. Xenoblade Chronicles is five years old and its semi-sequel is only out in japan right now, so it's hardly a substantial franchise. I consider Xenoblade lucky to have been so well represented alongside far more popular, successful, and influential games and their fighters. I do not think we'll see any more significant Xenoblade related content in Sm4sh, I honestly think Xenoblade already has more then it deserves. However, oh would I still love to see it happen.
Predictions:
Magolor - 15%
NPC Promotion - 5%

Nominations:
Neku Sakuraba (TWEWY) x 5

Last edited:

XeVioN

Smash Journeyman
NNID
XeVioN !
KAPUTAIN K RULE
Chance: 5% idk
Want: 5% I don't like heavy characters that much.

REYN
Chance: 3% another xeno fighter is unlikely and Fiora seems to be the most voted. ma fraid is not Ryan time.
Want: 75% Shulk needs his homie here he's got his back! (I still would prefer getting Fiora though)

I nominate Neku sakuraba too as the previous guy said.

Last edited:

CaptainAmerica

Smash Master
NNID
TomOfHyrule
Kaptain

IF K. Rool is still in, which is up in the air pending recent Mii Kostumes and fake leaks, they'd give us the king in his default persona. Only a few characters were blessed enough to get alternate costumes that were not simple recolors (or clones that were simple recolors...), and I doubt Sakurai likes the Rool enough for that.
Besides, I've heard his favorite (or 'least disliked' was DK64, explaining Diddy's moveset. K.Rool was just the Rool there.
Want - don't care, it's K.Rool.
Reyn

Xenoblade is represented well enough. It's not exactly an established series on the level of anything with two characters.
Nom: Ivy x5

Yomi's Biggest Fan

See You Next Year, Baby
NNID
Takamaru64
3DS FC
1375-7346-9605
Switch FC
SW-8277-6509-2593
Kaptain K. Rool

Chance and Want: Double Zeroes

Why not give all traits of our favorite king to one character instead of using just one?

Reyn

Chance - 3%

Less requests than Fiora and lack of Japanese popularity. No comment.

Want - 10%

Fiora goes first.

Magolor - 4.5%
Playable NPCs - 5%

Abe Lincoln x5

Kaptain K. Rool

Chance: 6.5%

As an alt. costume this would be much higher. Stand alone not straight out impossible, but this all depends where we are at with the mii costume.... which can go either way. Does it make sense to have K. Rool's more well known and standard "look" as a costume yet have K. Rool don the Kaptain costume, as a fighter? Probably not, despite DKC2 being successful in its own right.

Want: 95%

The favourite of my K. Rool personas and also from the game which is considered by many to be the best in the series. Also the one with arguably the most moveset potential out of the other personas. In saying that, as long as any form of K.Rool is in and is true to the character I'd be happy.

Reyn

Chance: 0.5%
Want: 0.1%

Nomination: Sam from Prehistorik Man x5 (Now there's a blast from the past! :))

Last edited:

CaptainAmerica

Smash Master
NNID
TomOfHyrule
Nominating: Goku x 5 And yes, it's the one from DBZ.
This is not being counted.
Rules
1. Characters must originate from a video game and they must have been featured on at least one Nintendo console.
@ CaptainAmerica CaptainAmerica I believe my 15 nominations for Squirtle and Ivysaur (with the extra noms from Muddy Mole and R.O.B. eye glitch fix) weren't counted in the current nomination list, could you fix this please?
Sorry bout that, it's fixed.

colder_than_ice

Smash Lord
@XenoBrawler610 I'm sticking with two concepts, I don't think I can handle three.

Kaptain K. Rool
Chance: 5% - We asked for a monarch.
Want: 50%

Reyn
Double Zeroes.

Nominations: Solo Ice Climbers.

DAY OVER
PLEASE WAIT WHILE I CALCULATE THE RESULTS

colder_than_ice

Smash Lord
KAPTAIN K. ROOL
CHANCE: 4.06%
WANT: 65.10%

REYN
CHANCE: 1.76%
WANT: 33.45%
WOW!!!! King K. Rool is so popular on this forum that even his alter-egos can get a higher "want" ratings than characters like Ridley, Inkling, and Banjo-Kazooie. Next up we're rerating both Magalor and the concept of an NPC becoming playable. Also please predict what score Yoshimitsu and Fountain of dreams will get tomorrow.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Not Bandanna Dee:
1% Chance and 0% Want.

NPC Promtion:
Chance:Abstain.

Want:ALL THE DAMN PERCENT! (100%)

THIS. NEEDS. TO. HAPPEN.
LET THE WAA RISE FROM THE ASHES

AND LET TAKAMARU JOIN THE PARTY!

This is not even talking about Ghirahim, Zoroark, Meowth and others.
-----------------------------------
Predictions:
Yoshimitsu:1.54
Fountain of Dreams:2.76
-----------------------------------
Noms:
Zero X5 (Megaman)

Last edited by a moderator:

Troykv

Smash Master
KAPTAIN K. ROOL
CHANCE: 4.06%
WANT: 65.10%

REYN
CHANCE: 1.76%
WANT: 33.45%
WOW!!!! King K. Rool is so popular on this forum that even his alter-egos can get a higher "want" ratings than characters like Ridley, Inkling, and Banjo-Kazooie. Next up we're rerating both Magalor and the concept of an NPC becoming playable. Also please predict what score Yoshimitsu and Fountain of dreams will get tomorrow.
Wow... People really needs K.Rool whatever he looks xDUUU

D

Deleted member

Magolor

Chance: 7.5%

I gave him 5% last time, but he has fan demand in Japan, so +2.5%. Sakurai bias is still a hurdle, though.

Promoted NPC

Chance: 0%

Characters have their predefined roles for a reason.

Predictions:

Yoshimitsu - 2.1%

Namu!

Fountain of Dreams - 5%

Nominations: Zael Mii Costume x5

NintenRob

Rising YouTuber
NNID
trpdm.wilton
Magalor
Chance 1%
Want 10%
Bandana Dee is better and I'd also prefer Daroach

NPC promotion
Chance 0%
I see no reason to believe this will happen,
Want 50%
Depends on the character
Skull Kid, Ridley = Yes
Midna = No

Predictions
Fountain of Dreams 22%
Yoshimitsu 0.4%

Nominate Mike from Drawn to life x5

NPC becomes Playable. Hopefully there is finally some good discussion now that we are done with the joke noms. . .
chance 0%
We are even farther into DLC's lifetime. I still have yet to be given a good reason to add any of the characters as playable after te work that was done to give them their role. And even worse is, with the exception of takamaru, Waluigi, and Ridley (who have all been given a no by sakurai from joking to serious) none of really any popularity.

Look I get that people want their characters and having them deconfirmed SUCKS. I was a hardcore Ridley supporter and still am. But right now I think tat is all they are. Deconfirmed. They have their roles for reasons. And without popularity to back them up there isn't any good reason for that to change.

Want 100%
Lyn, Dillon, Midna, Dark Samus, Toad, Phosphora, one or two i'm probably forgetting, and of course Ridley. All characters I very much want.

noms
rerate 7+ DLC x5

Last edited:

Sid-cada

Smash Lord
Magolor

Chance - 1.15% - Okay, he was slightly more popular than I though, but I still see him dwarfed by Dee.

Want - 40% - Dee first, then I can think about another Kirby character.

NPC Promotion

Chance - 0.05% - Honestly, I don't see it. Sakurai probably gave it some though of who gets in and who doesn't before he even considered who becomes NPCs, or doing so at the same time. After putting the hard work into their roles, I just can't see them writing it over, especially if it meant removing content from a game...

Want - 50% - Very dependent on the character.

Predictions

Fountain of Dreams - 16.45% - Very popular, but we already have the music...

Yoshimitsu - 2.45% - Another third party.

Nominations

Abe Lincoln X5 (Tear this a new one!)

[Obnoxshush/Dasshizer]

Off floating somewhere
Magalor

Chance: 5%

Want: 4%

NPC becoming playable

Chance: 6%

Waluigi yeah yeah yeah!

Predictions: Fountain of Dreams 15%

Predictions: Yoshimitsu 0.30%

Nominations: John Raimi X5. I'll save my other 26 votes for later

~Krystal~

True American Heroine
Magalor
Double Zeroes

NPC Promotion
Chance: 0%
Want: 70% (Hinges on the character.)

Predictions
Yoshimitsu: 1.23%
Fountain of Dreams: 12.42%

Nominate x5 Belome

WeirdChillFever

Smash Hero
Magolor:
Chance: 17%

Popular in Japan, a villainish character and better than Bandana Dee

I spend a lot of time with my friend beating the "Energy Spheres" out of Magolor and his Spaceship.
Now I wanna beat the Energy Spears out of For Glory Little Macs with a blackhole-creating, vine-spouting, portal-setting space, apple-juggling mage.
On top of representing his own boss fight, he can also use moves from Marx.

NPCs get promoted
Chance: 5%
It's not the issue of Sakurai possibly whining that his hard work would be gone (false, it can be repurposed for playability, saving hard work), but the issue of there being very little characters that could pull this off by having the popularity and star power needed.
Sakurai didn't saw them as playable material before, it'd take a Villager-esque turnaround to change that.
And that took 8 years, new AC games and a more vibrant style.

Want: WAAAAne-hundred percent.
Nabbit, Takamaru and Waluigi would ALL give extreme hype for me.

Pikachu Libre representation x5

Aetheri

W/E happens don't panic...
Switch FC
SW-3397-5428-2304
uh oh....it begins...again...

NPC's Become Playable

Previous Rating:
Chance: 35%
(decided to boost the ratings slightly because reasons)
I was going to rate a lower score considering only my wanted characters specifically, but we are, afterall, talking 'ANY' NPCs, it literally could be anyone...even if it's not my wanted characters I'm sure there's a less than decent chance of it happening in some way...even Stafy...or Kamek...heck I dunno... anybody....
Considering there has been no official confirmation that being an NPC within the game automatically means that the character is totally deconfirmed as a playable fighter, it is pretty naive IMO to assume that there is a 0% chance of it happening at all (edt: tbh I'm a little dissappointed that all NPC character support threads were closed as it really hurts their chances in the long run as far as support goes). Sure in our eyes we see it as 'highly unlikely' but at the same time, we are dealing with Sakurai here. Remember Toon Link? Spirit Tracks? A Playable character and an NPC. Also look at both Little Mac and Charizard who both got the promotion to playable characters from past games, sure we haven't got any characters that got the promotion in this game specifically, but my point still stands that characters that appear as NPC's are still liable for an inclusion into the Smash roster. I mean no one thought that we'd get either Mewtwo or Lucas because they were existing Trophies and now we know that being an in-game trophy means they still got a fair shot at becoming playable. I know they're just trophies but still it's the general mindset of the community....

I have actually thought up 4 distinct reasons why being an NPC does NOT necessarily condemn a character to 'NPC hell' as it were:

• 1. The best solution for the possible inclusion for an NPC, IMO, is to simply add a certain code attached to said character so that the NPC version simply does not show during the character's presence on the field. As is the case with Toon Link on the Spirit Tracks stage. This would work better for characters that are Assist Trophies, Poke-Ballmons, and harmelss stage elements (such as Tails or Blaziken), characters such as the Birdmen and Ridley would actually take away from their respective stage's gimmick which is something Sakurai would likely want to avoid...and in the case of Rikki or Chrom well........................I'm beat....

• 2. I'm sure we're all aware that patching is a thing...if Sakurai wanted to, he could simply patch, and remove such a character from the game as an NPC to make room for them as a fighter. The biggest problem with this is when it comes to certain stages with stage hazards it actually takes away some of the stage's gimmick such is the case with the aforementioned Birdmen and Ridley. At the same time some work was done to add the character in the game the way it is and patching it out pretty much means the smash team pretty much wasted some of it's time putting them in the game in the first place....however...

• 3. The common argument against NPC's becoming playable is that they are already in the game. Well, yes! Now that you mention it, the fighter IS in fact already in the game. Believe it or not this actually works in the character's favour as much as it does against. The character's already got a working model with animations, and attacks, sound effects with voice acting already implemented within the game. Heck, half of the work is already done! It's just a matter of polishing things up a bit, tweak a few things to certain moves and animations and getting the character finalized and Smash ready! When it comes to other newcomers everything tends to start from scratch (barring clones and such), but when the character is already implemented in the game's code the workload seems less strenuous...

• 4. And finally Picture this scenario for a second, just forget everything you ever knew in life and just picture this for a moment...a Nintendo Direct is live, we go through the usual news and trailers for a bunch Nintendo crap as usual blah blah, and then we get the black screen followed by the flaming cross signifying some sort of smash related news, then the trailer begins revealing...oh I dunno...let's say Ridley for example...Do you realize how much the smash community would explode if this seemingly 'deconfirmed' character were to become a playable DLC? Just picture it for a second, and forget about the 'too big' claims and whatnot...are you picturing it? Good then you should see my point...I mean remember when Mewtwo was revealed? No one ever saw it coming (of course at the time DLC wasn't confirmed either, but still) and everyone literally lost their mind...well actually I didn't, don't get me wrong I was happy Mewtwo came back but I wasn't all 'MA DIK!' and stuff....anyways DLC is a whole new ball game, and Sakurai often goes back on his original word sometimes...not necessarily lying but intentionally misleading the audience so that he can build the hype and keep a genuine level of excitment for the smash community. I'm not saying that he 'WILL' change his mind about Ridley specifically, was just throwing him out there as an example (keep in mind Ridley is still getting a generous amount of support despite being a so called 'deconfirmed' character, Sakurai may buckle, yuh never know...)

At the same time, what could be holding NPC's back? Sakurai clearly recognized the character's worth enough the make them into full functioning animated characters in the game, they just simply haven't been added to the playable roster. Perhaps Assist Trophies and Poke-ballmons are a sort of rejected characters list. Takamaru may have been considered for playable and Sakurai simply said, "naaah...I'm not 'really feeling it'...let's make him an Assist trophy instead"...could be the same for Zoroark, perhaps Sakurai flipped a coin between Zoroark and Greninja, and Greninja ended up winning the coin toss?, so Sakurai simply put Zoroark in as an Poke ball mon...perhaps some NPC's really ARE too big...
Perhaps Sakurai does indeed understand the fans love for certain characters but perhaps he himself didn't want that character specifically for the smash lineup? perhaps perhaps perhaps...Afterall I'm sure Sakurai wanted to do a little bit of quality control as he didn't want to add an extra 20 characters all willy nilly...and with even veterans making it short of inclusion hell it is possible that he simply did not prioritize some of these characters for a spot on the roster...

Even still, no official word has been said about NPC's not becoming a playable DLC, and we simply have nothing on the contrary to assume otherwise. With that said I am cautiously optimistic....still unlikely but not out of the question....

But this could be just wishful thinking...There are a few characters that I'd like to see become playable as I'm sure almost everyone does...no?...c'mon there has to be at least one! I mean, there's quite a few characters that are in the game, many of them are fan favourites and I'm sure there's a few characters that would get many people excited to see become playable.
Midna, Dark Samus and Ridley are my personal top three that are currently NPC's, but at the same time there's Zoroark, Waluigi, Skull Kid, Tails, heck even Samurai Goroh would be pretty cool (I mean yeah we got lots of swordsmen already but none of them are slash-happy maniacal Samurai are they). Call me optimistic, a glass half full kinda guy, but since we have no official confirmation stating otherwise I personally don't see any reason why any NPC character can't become playable (well maybe not any, I doubt Mother Brain or Andross would work too well as a playable characters)
Either way, my top three are not only characters that I'd like to play as but they also provide more representation for their respective franchises and they are also well deserved IMO..for reasons that I will discuss when their times come...

phew....I told you there was quite a bit.....much appreciated if you actually bothered to read everything....
Chance: 15%
Yes. I am a bit less optimistic at this point, it is still somewhat higher than impossible simply because we are referring to 'ANY NPC becomes playable....in which case it should technically be 100% because of Toon Link, Dedede, Duck Hunt, etc, but to keep things in proper context...However once again I still stand by the fact that if a character has a pre-defined role it doesn't completely rule them out...'There was no precidence for it' which refers to the fact that in previous Smash games no Playable fighters and NPC's existed along side one another (except for ROB:rob:)...However keep in mind that previous Smash games did not have, balance patches, updates, and DLC either...Both Charizard and Little Mac have made the leap, yes it was between two different games, but keep in mind upon the release of 64, Melee and Brawl it was not possible to make any changes whatsoever...Once the game was released that's what we got...However this is assuming that changes will actually be made period...'It's strange to have two Waluigi's on the field at the same time' Why?...Eight man Smash we can have Eight at once all of them playable but if one gets an Assist Trophy and another Waluigi appears, then what 9 is pushing it?...

Either way...as I listed above:

-Remove NPC entirely-it is unlikely given the work put in to add them into the game initially but it is still a possible option...
-'Alfonzo Clause' simply replace said NPC with another character if the same character is in play...:4tlink: has no problem...(remember when he was deconfirmed?)
-Code them out when in play-This is pretty likely given the fact that most NPC's are either Assist Trophies or Poke-Balls that appear at random...simply adding a code to prevent them from showing if that character is in play...Nobody's going to miss the Takamaru assist trophy if they are already playing as Takamaru...I mean they do it for Dedede in Dream Land...it's as simple as blocking them out temporarily...
-Finally, Do Absolutely Nothing- because if 8 of the same character is no problem, then why is one more that happens to be non-playable a problem? I doubt the game's gonna break if there are 9 identical characters in play at the same time as opposed to 8...

'NPC's can't be playable' is merely a fan-made rule...Sakurai and the dev team hasn't gone on record stating 'We will not make NPC's playable because reasons' and with the exception of a few characters such as Ridley (who's situation is much different than other NPC's anyways) there is no reason to think it will never happen...

But the biggest problem is that many people believe this fan rule (as they would other fan rules), despite the fact that it seems other fan-made rules get broken seemingly with every character reveal...but as a result most people simply give up (despite the fact that the Ballot is focused on more than just Smash 4 DLC, which a lot of people seem forget), I'm not saying they are wrong for believing this rule, but they are wrong for giving up...

----

See below....

keep looking...

and the big one...

Honourable Mentions: Zoroark, Ashley, Gardevoir, Waluigi, Skull Kid, Ghirahim, Ganon, Samurai Goroh, Saki, Rayquaza (dat mega form dough, y'know he'd be awesome!)

Either way, one thing I hoping for when it comes to DLC is a stand alone wave featuring mainly Assists/Poke-balls/Stage Bosses/etc as playable fighters...Several characters, including Ridley would definitely be hype AF if they ever got added as DLC...Sakurai likes throwing curveballs and doing something like this would definitely catch a lot of people off guard...

Based on the circumstances...Takamaru, Waluigi and Midna I feel would be the top 3, though I'd personally would like Midna, Ridley and Dark Samus, but somehow I feel Sakurai's not going to bother with any Metroid content for DLC, barring an unlikely stage...and of course the Samus Mii Costume...guess Samus isn't going to be playable...(seriously these fan rules got to stop)

----

Nominations:
!Rerate: Impa x5
There I go not paying attention nominating a character that is being rated tomorrow...well time to finish what I started!

Last edited:

ShinyRegice

Smash Lord
@ colder_than_ice colder_than_ice it's Magolor, could you fix it please?

Anyway, because I don't have much time this morning, I'll just give 2% chances to Magolor and abstain for everything else without explanation.

Also, I don't think it is worth editing the top 10 of want to add Kaptain K. Rool. I mean, he's the alter ego of the most wanted newcomer overall, he's basically a different way to approach the character in aesthetics and moveset.

Yoshimitsu prediction: 1.94%
I suppose he'll do slightly higher than Heihachi due to not having a Mii costume.

Fountain of Dreams prediction: 7.28%
I personally think it's a pipe dream (pun intended), but other people will be more optimistic. This is one of the most popular stages after all.

Nominating: (I won for Kaptain K. Rool! Yeah!!)
(Rerate) Returning fighters: Squirtle and Ivysaur x5
Balance change: universal hitstun increase x5

Zerp

Formerly "ZeroSoul"
Administrator
Writing Team
Magolor:
http://www.sourcegaming.info/2015/08/22/japantopdlcpart1/ Please read this if you are not knowledgeable about the character and the scenario they are in.

Chances: 18% Magolor is basically put, Waddle Dee's version of K. Rool's Dixie Kong, He's a commonly overlooked character merely because he has a more popular counterpart, but the character himself is still a legitimate candidate. I do believe that Sakurai might end up choosing Magolor over Waddle Dee due to his vast moveset potential (Reality warpers, y'all), but it's far more likely he goes with Waddle Dee instead, since we know Sakurai likes the character. There's also the slim possibility Sakurai does both Waddle Dee and Magolor, but like I said, slight. So overall, I think he's got a solid chance.

Want: 100% I'm a huge fan of the Kirby series, and I really would like to see it get more representation, along with Magolor being one of my favorites from the franchise, and his near infinite moveset potential, I'd be more than happy with his inclusion. I'd still be satisfied though if Waddle Dee or Dark Matter got in instead.

NPC:
Chances: 5% I really don't think they have a chance at becoming playable until next game.
Want: 100% Waluigi is a numba #1! WAHEHEHEHEHEHEHEHE

Predictions: Yoshimitsu: 5% FoD: 15%
Nominations: Undecided, we've gone through most everyone I wanted.

Last edited:

LIQUID12A

Smash Modder
NNID
LIQUID12A
3DS FC
0877-1606-0815
Abstaining on Magolor.

Playable NPCs

Chance: 4%

Now, let's be honest. If a character has become an NPC, then that logically means the team has no further plans for them. It's a fan made rule, yes, but why an NPC would become playable after receiving such a role would be confusing, and a lot of things would have to be altered. I feel the team would rather focus on making new characters altogether than promoting Assist Trophies and the like to playable. And for a select few NPC's we've had explicit reasoning as well, like Takumaru and Ridley. Next game, sure, but I do't see it happening in this iteration.

However, I'd still love to see Dark Samus playable.

Predictions:

Yoshimitsu: 1%
Fountain of Dreams: 5%

Nominate: Ridley x5

Playable NPCs
Want: 100% (only because of Ridley, Kamek and Meowth)

Magolor
Chance: 5% (unlikely, but still the second most likely Kirby character)
Want: 60% (I kinda want him, but not before Bandana Dee)

Yoshimitsu: 1%
Fountain of Dreams: 6%

Tyrantrum 5x

Laniv

Smash Lord
Magolor:

Chance: 24%
Bandanna Dee stands in his way.

Playable NPCs:

Chance: 0.3%

Want: 99%
If it meant that Tingle or Isabelle or Tom Nook had a chance...

Predictions for Yoshimitsu: 21% Chance, 13% Want
Predictions for Fountain of Dreams: 5% Chance, 58% Want

Nominate Tom Nook x 5

D

Deleted member

The Directory has been updated.

Magolor
Chance:
1%

Popular in Japan, but even Bandana Dee beats him in terms of requests.
I don't like Magolor. He is so damn predictable; I always knew this guy was going to backstab Kirby in Returns to Dream Land the moment I laid my eyes on him. He is like Marx, only far less awesome. That and I massively prefer Bandana Dee over him; if Magolor got in and not Bandana Dee, I would be disappointed.

Playable NPC
Chance:
0%

They have roles already for a reason.
Want: Abstain
Depends on who we are talking about. If we are talking about Lyn or Starfy for example, I would give a receptive score. If we are talking about Isabelle or Ridley, I would give a flat-out zero.

Yoshimitsu Prediction: 1.26%
A character from Tekken and Soul... all right, I guess.
Fountain of Dreams Prediction: 5.64%
Becoming less likely because its song appears on Dream Land 64.

Nominations: Fourside 5x

MacDaddyNook

Smash Lord
NPC Promotion's Chance: 0%
Let's be honest, while it may be possible, it's extremely unlikely they will spend what little development time left trying to code out Assist Trophy/Pokeball/Stage Hazard/Boss characters. Doing so will take time, more than we may think, to get it to work and not break the game in some way. It would ultimately mean less content for the fans, meaning less profit for Nintendo, both of which is highly undesirable for all parties involved. So I really don't see any incentive for them to do it. Smash Bros 5 will be these characters best chance of getting in.

NPC Promotion's Want: 0%
I really don't want any of the dwindling development time wasted, I'd by far rather have more content and leave the NPCs in their role.

----------

Magolor's Chance: 5%
A one-off character with moderate support, things just don't look too good for him.

Magolor's Want: 0%
Not interested in a one-off like this, I rather see some more recognizable faces.

ShinyRegice

Smash Lord
Old NPC promotion chances score: 21.01%
New NPC promotion chances score (as of current): 2.60%

Not only this is almost a 90% drop, but it now makes Ridley, Midna, Takamaru and Dark Samus all individually more likely than this concept...

DJ3DS

Smash Lord
3DS FC
0602-6256-9118
NPC Promotion:

Chance -15%

Between several of the NPC's being popular candidates (Ridley, Waluigi come to mind), numerous examples of NPC's doing multiple things (Toon Link, Dedede as stage elements, some Xenoblade character as both AT and FS) I don't subscribe to the idea that they can't possibly show. It's a fan made rule and a stupid one at that.

Want - 50%

There are some cool characters who could be promoted but none that I'd consider myself crazy about.

Abstain on Magolor chance, no idea who it is again. Want is a comfortable 0%.

Last edited:

Scamper52596

Smash Lord
Premium
Magolor
Chance: 1.7%
If we get a new Kirby character (which I'm very doubtful of) it probably won't be Magolor. Bandana Dee is more important to the franchise while outshining Magolor in popularity. Magolor just isn't prominent enough in the Kirby franchise to be the next in line. I'll give Return to Dream Land's (spoiler alert) final boss only 1.7%, which is a 2% drop from my original rating.

Want: 5%
I love Return to Dream Land, but Magolor isn't on my radar.

Playable NPC's
Chance: 9.5%
As time goes on without this concept becoming a reality, the less likely it is that Sakurai will actually go through with making a NPC playable. My opinion really hasn't changed at all since the first time we rated this concept, so I'll paraphrase what I said a little. Sakurai already stated that he sees Smash 4 as a completed game, and because of that I doubt he'll want to do anything that might compromise his vision. He sees DLC as a means of adding content and not changing it. I still don't believe he's thinking of going back to change the base game's content (Balance patches and glitch fixes aside). When you look at Smash 4 through Sakurai's point of view, this concept doesn't seem very likely to me. I'll give concept of promoted NPC's a score of 9.5%, which is a 7% drop from my original rating.
It's all up to Sakurai and his team...

Want: 5%
There were enough NPC reveals that made me sigh a relief, and I don't have much of a desire to see the floodgates open again. The only NPC I would love to see become playable is already very unlikely due to his third party status.

Smasher 101

Smash Lord
3DS FC
0877-3649-6314
Switch FC
SW-7628-2111-0913
Magolor's chances: 5%

Somewhat popular, but I can't see him happening over Bandana Dee, and I frankly don't think even he's all that likely.

Not really that invested in a Kirby character despite my love of the franchise, but he'd be my top pick by a large margin. Sorry, Bandana Dee, I'm just not very interested in you.

Playable NPCs' chances: 0.5%

I honestly would be extremely surprised if they bothered with this. They already have pre-defined roles. I've always seen that as "they're not going to be playable, at least not this time". Plus very few of them are even that requested, and even some of the more wanted ones like Takamaru and Ridley were already given reasons as to why they aren't in the game. There are plenty of characters who are more requested who don't have a role in the game already and are more popular than most/all of these, anyway. Next game, maybe.

Yep, cut my want score in half. It really depends more on who it is now. There are still some I'd love (Ridley, Dark Samus, Meowth), others I'd be ok with (Takamaru, Lyn, Saki), and still others that I think are just fine where they are (Waluigi, pretty much all of the Zelda ATs).

Fountain of Dreams prediction: 10.83%
Yoshimitsu prediction: 0.99%

Nominations: Captain Rainbow x5

Last edited:

CaptainAmerica

Smash Master
NNID
TomOfHyrule
Playable NPCs
Ooh, I’ve been waiting for this day…I hope we get some good discussions. I hope people don’t just look at it and say “Oop, it’ll never happen, 0%” without some hard evidence that it is impossible… After all, remember when the Japanese version of the 3DS came out last year? How many people saw Mewtwo’s trophy and considered him deconfirmed forever? This rule of ‘Assist Trophies can never be made playable. Ever.’ seems to have the same amount of backing as ‘They’re a trophy, so they’ll never be playable. Ever.’, and we all know how that one turned out.

Chance: 85%
Personally, I would give this a high chance of happening. Maybe this is a bit optimistic, but this is asking if at least one of a vast number of characters ends up making it, so altogether it seems reasonable. After all, NOWHERE does it say that a single character can have only one role in the game, and can never ever change. Zelda/Shiek are both playable, yet the same person, as are Samus/Zero Suit and Mario/Doc. We can even talk about how Palutena is playable despite being in statues all over her stage, or that Toon Link can alternate between playable and Spirit Tracks conductor. And it’s not just limited to playable characters – Inky, Blinky, Pinky, and Clyde are all stage hazards on Pac-Maze, but that doesn’t prevent them from being Assist trophies as well (or elements of PAC-MAN's moveset...). Assuming any character was promoted, the developers could easily take the original form out of the game in some way. Or not, really – Smash has a history of letting the same character be on stage at the same time.​

Really, I think one of the most important factors is that these characters were all popular enough to make it into smash, just not selected for playable. Would Nintendo rather bring in a new character with an unknown fanbase, or make an assist character playable who has a known fanbase? Particularly for some of the NPCs, Nintendo has even acknowledged their fanbases. I think it’s much more likely that Nintendo would rather make a NPC playable that they know will sell, over something like a third party from a series that is unknown in a decent portion of the world.​

I’m going to split this up and discuss the chances of making the NPCs playable, in the order of ease:​

• Current Assist Trophies/Pokéball Pokémon (Waluigi, Midna, Takamaru, Gardevoir, Zoroark, etc.)
There are currently 39 Assist Trophies and 41 Pokémon as NPCs. They appear to be selected based on a random number generator (RNG), which is very easy to replace or modify to not pick a certain number. In the case any of them is made playable, a single line of code could just reroll the RNG to get a different number and put up a different character. As a bonus, these characters are all modeled and rigged; some even have animations. Since animations and rigging are the hardest parts, this means that a lot of the work is done for the devs already. Some, like Waluigi, have several animations already, e.g. running, down attack, side smash, etc., making a very easy job for the dev team to just add in the remaining animations and take them out of the lists. Furthermore, the now vacant AT slot could be given to another character – if Midna were made playable and we needed another Zelda assist trophy, the devs could patch Impa or someone in to take her place while Midna sits on the select screen. Sakurai has even admitted some, like Takamaru, were considered for playability…and Little Mac has shown that the jump can be made.​

• Current Stage Hazards/Bosses (Twinrova, Flying Men, Reshiram/Zekrom, Dark Emperor, Yellow Devil, Nabbit, 5-Volt, Metal Face, and some big purple dragon-looking thing)

These are really all over the place. Some, like 5-Volt, are too tied into the stage to be anything but a hazard; others, like the Bosses, are generally disliked on principle and people would rather they be out. One of the most common requests is a hazard switch – to be able to play the stage with platforms, but without a boss coming by to wreck everyone’s day. For the stages that have made it to 8-player mode, the hazards are all off, so we know there is a switch. The game could easily be set similarly to how Alfonzo takes over for Toon Link (“Leave it to me!”): If Ridley is playing on Pyrosphere, do not have Boss Ridley show up. Otherwise, fair game (or unfair, depending on how you see bosses…). Furthermore, as with the previous category, some of these have a lot of model rigging finished – Nabbit walks around and has a grab, Twinrova have movement and a special attack, while Ridley has almost a complete attack moveset. As before, some of these could be promoted to playable without breaking the stage, or at least having the stage’s hazard be deactivated if the character is playable (or at will – like I said, a lot of people want that too). And the stage icon can just be patched to a different one in case the character is displayed too prominently.​

• Current Smash Run Enemies (Bonkers, Darknut, Shy Guy, Waddle Dee, etc.)

The 3DS version contains about 79 enemies in Smash Run, however only a fraction of this number appear in one round. As with the assist trophies, they can easily be commented out of the lists and made playable, and have several attack animations – most even have animations for lying prone and being grabbed. However, these are very generic enemies, so have little chance. What could happen, though, is that one is used as a base for a similar playable character, e.g. Bandana Dee could be made by using the animations that the Waddle Dee has in the game, again, making life easier for the devs.​

• Current Stage Background Characters (Viridi, Tails, Silver, Knuckles, and a host of various Pokémon and Animal Crossing citizens)

These may be a bit tougher to include depending on what the stage is. With the exception of a few, the Animal Crossing citizens are all interchangeable and put in with a RNG– this means an individual could be commented out to appear as a playable character or another role (in case anyone wanted Mr. Resetti’s ‘assist’ trophy back). The Sonic characters, likewise, are sent at random times, and could thus be excluded from running across the stage – all of them also have rigging and a few animations. Viridi is a special case – she shows up to call the Reset Bomb down, but is only put up as a sprite. Thus, she could be replaced by a blank image, and then she never shows up on that stage, allowing her to be playable. The only ones who may be problematic are the Pokémon on those stages – they are not randomly put in, and are always the same. If any of them (e.g. Blaziken) were to be replaced, it may involve remodeling something a lot more complicated rather than just commenting out a RNG outcome.​

• Current Playable Characters’ Moves (Toad, Chrom, Doc Louis)

These may not be able to make the jump. Despite having animations already, changing these would involve giving Peach a new sideB/Robin a new Final Smash/Little Mac new win poses.​

So, in conclusion, I don’t think that a character existing in Smash already permanently cements him to one spot, particularly if he has a big enough fanbase. Anything can happen, and a lot of the highly requested characters are in the game, but not in the way we’d have liked. And there’s no rule that says things can’t change…​

TL/DR: There’s no rule saying they can’t, and most of the NPCs are very popular characters. Most can easily be taken out of their current role and make playable.

I’d go higher if I could. Aside from K.Rool, everyone I want playable is either a veteran or an NPC. And really, it would not bother me at all if Midna or Ghirahim called him/herself as an assist while playing, or if Boss Ridley showed up to wreck Playable Ridley’s day, or whatever. I would just like to see these popular characters playable, and I think they have a better chance than obscure third-parties or niche first-party characters.​
Well, someone was a bit optimistic, weren't we. Too bad. In light of the limited DLC, I doubt we're getting this. Shame, since the ATs are the obvious 'second-best' characters, and it'd be weird for them to prioritize a third-row character over their seconds just because they don't want to comment someone out of the AT list. Besides, too many people think that this fake rule is real, so they're not even voting for these characters - we've closed their support threads, and @ Aetheri Aetheri has seen that people aren't putting them in their top 10 lists for this reason. No votes means Nintendo think we don't like them, so they'll never make the jump. Boo.
Want: RIDLEY PLZ!!! Come on, that's a lame-*** reason to cut him and you know it. If you can get WFT and Villager to work, you can find a way to scale Ridley correctly.

Final rating: 10/100

Maggie
Chance: 10%
Another Kirby character would seem to be a highly rated character, but Mag's got nothing special going for him. He's only got one (okay, two, but the second is just a compilation) big appearances under his belt. Other than that, he's not really known outside of the Kirby fanbase, and is certainly behind Bandana Dee.​

See my ratings for Dee...too many other characters I'd want in first.​
Nothing's changed. Rating stands.

FoD prediction: 5.9%
Yoshimitsu: 0.8%

Nom: Ivy x5

Last edited:
Top Bottom