• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Rate their Chances: the DLC Edition. Day: 192: The final day

colder_than_ice

Smash Lord
Snake
Chance: 40% - Let's face it, Snake's easily going to be top five in that ballot and there's already a moveset ready for him. The big obstacle standing in the way is Konami itself, they may not be willing to negotiate.
Want: 15% - I can't say that I was ever a fan.

Wolf prediction: 84% - King K. Rool have a seat.

Nominations: Henry Fleming x5

DAY OVER
PLEASE WAIT WHILE I CALCULATE THE RESULTS

Last edited:

Sarki Soliloquy

Smash Champion
Incoming essay! Probably the longest case I've vouched for a character yet. I'd appreciate it if you read through long enough to agree and give me a like. Thank the gods I am doing this late night off my college schedule.

RATINGS

Snake

Chance - 55%: Snake, Smash's technically 1st ever 3rd party. Buy, wasn't he a relic from his iconicity down to his clashing style? Even with his uncertain odds stacked much higher than in the Brawl era, Snake overall has a fairly decent shot at returning in Smash 4.

Where do we begin? I suppose we should weigh his pros and debunk common arguments.

Perhaps Snake's strongest factor is his veteran status. Besides the given that he would have a lower development cost by having his code carried over from Brawl and rebalanced, he remains within the fanbase. In fact, many of us were introduced to Metal Gear through his announcement at E3 2006 with Brawl's reveal. I know I was one of those people.

His fan support wouldn't pay off to the developers with his largely-positive reception. Kojima has gone on record saying that he's open to Snake's return in Smash 4, much like 3rd party co-star Sonic was with Sega (or was that Yuji Naka?) Assuming Sakurai still keeps in touch with Kojima, they can easily grant his request with enough Konami execs on board. Snake's poll ratings may not be maverick, but his best performances break Top 10. This shows that there's a fair number of people who want him. I'd wager a much greater number will remember him from Brawl.

There's a strong misconception that Snake has been considered a Sony all-star rather than a Nintendo one. In fact, this is a very prominent sentiment I acknowledge. Right from the outset of Brawl, this was already questionable. Metal Gear Solid's most notable Nintendo appearance was Metal Gear Solid 2: The Twin Snakes on the Gamecube, which was ported from the PS2. MGS's most recent entry was a 3DS remake of Metal Gear Solid 3: Snake Eater. It also helps that Metal Gear Solid V: Grounds Zeros/The Phantom Pain is not coming to Wii U. There's no doubt that Snake's playerbase remains elsewhere.

However, there remains to be some shoddy kinks around this argument. The last new Metal Gear game exclusive to Sony was Metal Gear Solid: Portable Ops in 2012. The mainline Solid games are mutliplats now. There's even very scant support for the Nintendo 3DS too. This should assert that Snake isn't exclusively a Sony character. I'm about to go into a point that remains very ambiguous and I will treat it with a grain of salt (personally, hoping this doesn't happen). But Ryu from Street Fighter is one of the two leaked characters found in Smash 3DS's files. While Street Fighter has a legacy behind classic Nintendo systems, that series faces a similar predicament to Metal Gear Solid. The last Street Fighter game on a Nintendo system was a 3DS port of Super Street Fighter IV. Yes, SFV is Sony exclusive, but the entire SFIV series had presence on Xbox 360 and 3DS. If Ryu's series remains to sham around on Nintendo systems, what should be so different for Snake?

Another point of doubt commonly cited against Snake is his mature background. Smash for Wii U/3DS was the first game in the series to bring the Melee standard of T down to E10+. The exact reasons for this rating being curtailed are unknown, but most people take it as more dramatic and realistic elements of the game being removed. Otherwise, the Tharja trophy was cut from Smash 3DS likely to keep the game at a T for her revealing attire. Snake was featured in Brawl, where his moveset revolved around realistic military-grade explosives and even a chokehold pummel. Not to mention that Snake's more notable weapons, such as a pistol and combat knife, where noticeably abscent.

No one knows for certain the main contrbutors of Smash's T rated games, as there has been no content ever featured that's struck any moral cords. Heck, maybe Nintendo is choosing to keep out characters like Snake to curtail this rating. But if we take this for what it's worth, Snake using his Brawl moveset wouldn't detract much from the current rating. And if anything, this wouldn't prompt the main game being rerated more than the DLC being rated T. Because after all, he wouldn't be required content.

Perhaps the biggest detractor against Snake's return surround a hodgepodge of company relation gripes bundled up in red tape. First, Kojima is leaving Konami after Metal Gear Solid V: The Phantom Pain is complete. This also leaves the fate of the Metal Gear Solid franchise in the air, as many have speculated that Kojima is largely connected to the franchise. We dunno if Konami did something to anger Kojima, but if Sakurai comes into play with this, it's either he will obey whatever requests his friend wills (even if it means staying away) or he'll try his darndest to get his character request fulfilled. That seems hard enough as it is with Nintendo/Konami relations. They haven't been supporting their major titles since the Wii. The least that I can recall them doing is porting the Castlevania games to Wii U.

For any characters who are veterans, I feel that it is not necessary to detail their moveset. This is unless said veteran has a case of cloneitis, leaving Roy, Pichu, and Young Link as the outliers.

Want - 85%: Snake feels like a very special case for the contrasting style and "rarity" he brought in Brawl. Some people say he wasn't a good fit. I disagree, as he surprisingly felt consistent, not doing anything to "break" the more vibrant, cartoony settings. Looks of effort put into him too, with all those Codecs.

I question whether he's better off as a one-off character. I was surprised Sonic was able to make it back, which kind of makes sense for the role he's played with Nintendo over the years. But I question how far they'll be able to keep him through the games, let alone Mega Man or Pac-Man. If anything, I can see Sonic returning for every future Smash installment. Just not sure if Smash 4 would be better off having one of the men sticking back for some sort of nostalgia factor.

Otherwise, I really enjoyed Snake in Brawl and I wouldn't mind seeing him back. Of course, I already have two 3rd parties I'd rather take over any other. But I'd be happy to play a fresh version of him, and I'd be happy for his mains.

PREDICTIONS

Wolf

Chance - 87.9%:
Want - 99.7%:

NOMINATIONS

Concept: No DLC Characters After Fighter Ballot x3
Galacta Knight x1
Sceptile x1

Greasin' the wheels of the @ Delzethin Delzethin support wagon for I character I actually would like to see! :colorful:

Last edited:

colder_than_ice

Smash Lord
SNAKE
CHANCE: 29.12%
WANT: 55.62%
Snake actually did significantly worse than I ever thought he would, I could have bet money that he would have been top 3 in chance. Next up we're rating Wolf who I'm sure will do much better. Also please predict what score Shovel Knight gets tomorrow.

Last edited:

Senselessbreak

Smash Lord
Wolf

Chance: 10%........................I mean oops forgot a 0............100%
Want: 100%

Out of all the characters, I'd say Wolf is guaranteed at this point. He is popular, has a fun moveset, and he is a villain/rival rep. With Mewtwo, Lucas, and Roy returning, Wolf is sitting pretty. We already know there are at least 2 mystery DLC spots, and Wolf just makes sense. Not to mention, he has a game coming out this year. A perfect time for him to have a tie in.

Nominate: Chorus Kids x 5

Shovel Knight:

Board prediction: 5%

My prediction: 0.01% considering an actual shovel has a better chance of being a playable character than this guy.

Last edited:

smileMasky

Smash Ace
NNID
TPPyro
3DS FC
1349-6667-1990
Wolf
Chances
99%
there is in doubt that he will make it in Star fox is a great franchise and with star fox U coming I know we will at least have him back on also the really loud fan out cry can be hear all the way to japan so ya.

Want 68%
Ive actually only played him once in brawl :/. he does feel really good when you land hits they feel heavy too but I always played snake or even other characters. I was always the guy who does not like to play "competitive characters" just for the sake of having fun with it. Now I've become a bit competitive and a bit unhealthy at that. But back to wolf ya I would not mind at all if he was in.

Nomination
Ninten (Mother 1/EarthBound) x4 (give the first Protagonist a little love)
Django x1

Last edited:

Parallel_Falchion

Smash Lord
Wolf
Chance - 90%
No one is guaranteed, but Wolf is about as close as we're going to see. If Mewtwo, Lucas, and possibly even Roy can make it back, Wolf absolutely should as well, especially with a new Star Fox game on the way.

Want - 90%
One of the few characters I really want to see. He was my favorite of the Star Fox trio to play in Brawl. However, if he were to get the same voice treatment as Fox (and Falco to a lesser extent), this is more like 10%.

Nominate Toon Zelda x2, Anna x3.

IceBreakerXY

Universal Champion
Wolf change:99%
no doubt in my mind that wolf is coming back.He's a popular vet,he's moveset can be ported right from brawl,has a new game coming out.If we can get Roy and Lucas back we can get wolf.

Wolf want:50%
I'm not a wolf fan or even did i main him but he was my secondary in project m so that's something.I've always been more of a slippy guy(don't judge me) but i could go either way with wolf coming back

shovel knight prediction:8.75%

slippy x 5

Troykv

Smash Master
Wolf:

Chance: 95%

Lucas in? Well Wolf is the same case, but less clony.

Want: 50%

Is good to see a Vet comeback... just, I'm okay with him

Prediction:

Shovel Knight Chance 3%

Nominations:

Micaiah x2
Tiki x2
Kos-mos x1

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Wolf

Chance: 85%

+ He is a Brawl veteran, so there already exists an established moveset for him.
+ If the ballot isn't any indication, he has many fans awaiting his return to the ring.
+ With the new Star Fox coming later this year, Wolf could be a great promotion for that game, assuming he plays some sort of role in it.
? He was cut for unknown reasons. I presume it was time constraints, but there could possibly be something else I'm missing.

If we're getting anymore cut veterans, Wolf is the most likely choice aside from the leaked Roy.

Want: 80%

[insert "Can't let you do that" meme here]

I was never a huge fan of Wolf's playstyle in Brawl, but I know someone else who is. Also, I want this amusing taunt back:

Nomination: Zael x5

Roaring Salsa

A dragon never yields
Wolf
Chance: 95%
I'll be surprised if he doesn't return.

Want: 60%
Wolf was among one of my least used characters, but it would be unfair for all the other veterans to return and not him considering his popularity.

Nominations:
Henry Fleming x5

BandanaWaddleDee

Smash Lord
NNID
bdon25
3DS FC
1633-4187-3079
Switch FC
2967-5142-5603
"Saitou Hajime (Rurouni Kenshin) x15"
Why is this a thing? This is an anime character.

CaptainAmerica

Smash Master
NNID
TomOfHyrule
:wolf:

Chance: 85%
Wait, what? Only 85?!
There's a lot going for Wolf. I think he's as close to a lock as anyone could be. Especially since he's pretty much at the top of US polls (and I think he was number 2 in Japan). When Lucas was revealed, everyone pretty much expected Wolf to be right next to that.
And yet, he hasn't been announced...And this new leak doesn't reference wolf at all...?
Now, it's all too perfect that they'd be making Wolf in the background to announce him at E3 with StarFoxU. Frankly I think that's what will end up happening. After all, he is highly requested...
But he was cut, despite being less cloney than Falco - why? And what if they're looking at the ballot right now - is Wolf doing as well as he should? I think the biggest problem with him is the bystander effect - everyone expects him to get in, so nobody votes him. This thread is a great example: look how long it took Wolf to get to the top, despite being in the top three since the beginning. Now Nintendo most likely knows he's really popular, but they've done so many unexpected things before. I prefer to vote on the more conservative side here (and it's still higher than every other character...)
Whatever, he's most likely in, but I've learned not to put money on anything in terms of this game.
Yes please. Liked him so much more than Falco since Brawl. Bring on the villains!
Prediction: Shovel Knight
Chance: 8.25%, Want: 45.5%
Nomination:
NPC Promotions x 5​

Last edited:

Kalimdori

Amateur Youtuber
NNID
Kalimdori
3DS FC
5129-1442-5970
To compare with my other ratings. I'm of the opinion that Nintendo will milk the DLC hype train for as much cash as they can, and recent events have only strengthened that notion. As such, I expect plenty of DLC characters.

King K. Rool: Chance 80%
Want: 75%

Bandanna Dee Chance: 70%
Want: 95%

Isaac Chance: 65%
Want: 85%

Captain Toad Chance: 58%
Want: 90%

Inkling Chance: 50%
Want: 20%

Rayman Chance: 40%

Snake Chance: 40%

Dixie Chances: 39%
Want: 49%

Impa Chance: 25%

Banjo Chance: 20%

Krystal Chance: 15%
Want: 0%

Shantae Chance: 5%
Want: 15%

:wolf:Chance: 99%

Nothing is guaranteed and nothing is impossible when it comes to Smash Bros. The "rules" of the game aren't exactly set in stone, and even when they are they can still be broken. 0% and 100% chances don't exist, and I always chuckle a bit when I see people who think they do.

But even then, Wolf's a near shoe in at this point. Wolf has every reason to come back that Lucas does and more, and Lucas is ALREADY coming back. I'm pretty sure the only reason that he's coming before Wolf is so Wolf can release around the same time as Star Fox Wii U does.

Is it possible that Wolf won't return? Sure. Perhaps a natural disaster occurs and destroys the Namco Bandai HQ. Or aliens attack the earth, causing development to be halted. Or perhaps Lucas is just a big April Fools day joke and there is no DLC after Mewtwo...

Basically, barring some sort of catastrophe, I'm certain Wolf will return :p

:wolf: Want: 100%

I don't like playing as Fox. I don't like playing as Falco. Partially because I dislike their play styles, and partially because I'm just really, really bad at them.

But Wolf? Wolf's one of my favorite Smash Bros. characters EVER.

Wolf was the only character that I missed the leaks for in Brawl, and I freaked out when I saw him in the game. I'd never played a Star Fox game, but I didn't care! I was looking at an anthropomorphic wolf tearing everyone else to shreds! I enjoyed playing as him so much, I got extremely good at sweetspotting his side B, and his howl taunt is one of my favorites in the entire series.

I'm certain Wolf will be back, and I'm excited to play as him once again.

Shovel Knight Predictions: 7%

Shantae got 9%, and I expect Shovel Knight to get a little less then that.

Noms: Quote x5

Chalo5000

Smash Lord
3DS FC
0104-1645-4836
Wolf 99.98%

I would be REALLY surprised if he doesn't comes back, my prediction is that we'll get him on E3
The Ryu and Roy leak screwed me a little, but I still think we might see Wolf this E3

Want 67%
At least his fans will be happy :drshrug:

Shovel Knight: Shantae had like 9%, I don't think Shovel Knight should get more than that so 4%

Moonstruck Blossom x 5
Why I can even nominate a song? XD
Well, it's my favorite song from the Kirby series so I don't really care :awesome:

Last edited:

Strider_Bond00J

Smash Champion
Switch FC
SW-2525-8699-9095
Day 13: Can't let you give me a 0%, SmashBoards! :wolf:Once again, here's my previous ratings:
K.Rool Chance: 87% Want: 100
Banjo & Kazooie Chance: 3% Want: 14%
Isaac Chance: 70% Want: 90%
Bandanna Dee Chance: 42% Want: 50%
Captain Toad: Abstained chance and want
Krystal Chance: 36% Want: 71%
Dixie Kong Chance: 40% Want: 43%
Impa Chance: 35% Want 79%
Shantae Chance: 10% Want 54%
Inklings Chance: 31% Want: 51%
Rayman Chance: 61% Want 89%
Snake Chance: 35% Want: 50%

Wolf Chance: 98%
I feel like he's already guaranteed since Lucas is back. Though we could have a Sakurai moment where Krystal gets in and Wolf's Krystal's Final Smash. ...Another Landmaster. :p
In all seriousness, he's got amazing chances, but there's always that unexpectedness.
Want: 100% He didn't deserve to be cut, but time delays do that. It doesn't feel right to add an amazing character in Brawl then suddenly take him out when nobody felt like he should be removed. Once he gets in, and when we see more footage of Star Fox U, Krystal will become the next most wanted Star Fox character for Smash Bros.

Shovel Knight Predictions: 14%
Nominations:
Okay, Ridley gets another X5.

Aetheri

W/E happens don't panic...
Switch FC
SW-3397-5428-2304
:wolf:Wolf

Chance: 98.76%
Yes I'm gonna be that guy!:troll:
Wolf is pretty much guaranteed with the return of other veterans being Mewtwo and Lucas and possibly Roy, but that is not the only thing that factors into his return to the fray. The new Star Fox game is coming! E3 is likely going to be some sort of big announcement for the new game showcasing shiny new graphics, gameplay, as well as an official title. Whether or not Wolf will be revealed at E3 remains to be seen, it could be likely he'll be revealed in august so his arrival to DLC is closer to the possible release of the new Star Fox. Did I mention that he is a veteran (see icon), a highly requested one at that, that is one thing that is going heavily in his favour...
So with all that, what's going against Wolf in terms his chances for a DLC return? Well the Ryu/Roy leak is one thing but only for the simple fact that they would possibly take up two slots that Wolf could have, but since we don't know how many characters will be released for DLC that may or may not matter regardless, especially if Wolf is one of the possible pre-planned DLC (which is pretty likely). I mean it is very likely that we'll see plenty of characters coming for the next couple years, since the Smash Ballot is a thing so overall even if Ryu and Roy are coming Wolf will most likely be joining them either before or after...So what else is going against Wolf? Well...That would be Sakutroll Sakurai, I mean this dude likes to throw us a monkey wrench and probably chuckles to himself hysterically at how much the fanbase goes apesh*t...but at the same time he does try to keep within the fan's requests, and they have not only been requesting Wolf, but they're expecting him...There really is no reason for him not to come back, so the only reason I don't give him a perfect 100% is because he hasn't been confirmed....yet

Want: 95%
Wolf was a fairly fun character to use, save for tha fact that his recovery is only slightly better than Little Mac's, but this is a different game afterall...and people really should not complain about Wolf being a clone as his final smash admittedly was a lazy copy, but his specials only barely resembled fox...He's a semi-clone but is very far removed from his counterpart (I mean Fox doesn't slash the crap outta his opponents does he?) Anyways I liked Wolf as a character (even if he had no significant part in the SSE) It brought us a new villain, plus he looks cool as f@ck!! I'd be happy to see his return as I was very surprised that he was cut in the first place...most likely time constraints but since DLC is a thing then Sakurai can take his time with that, and make a few extra bucks in the process.... In fact Wolf was originally supposed to be in melee as fox's clone but since they are visually similar Sakurai changed it to Falco last minute...Not htat I have anything against that as Falco was my secondary in melee and brawl which is probably why I didn't use Wolf as much...

Prediction: 6.5%
Shovel Knight
He's got a lot of popularity but he won't do any better than Shantae, in fact I'd say he's got less of a chance than she does...

Nominations:
Wolf Link & Midna x3
Dark Samus x2

Last edited:

Mishudo

Smash Journeyman
:wolf::wolf::wolf:
Chance: 90% - Wolf has everything going for him at this point since DLC and Lucas were confirmed. I wouldn't begin to comprehend why they wouldn't bring him back, a character from brawl who already has a moveset that just needs to be recoded, plus the fan demand is off the charts. I'm highly confident we will see him at E3 with Starfox U

Want:
100% - Was very enjoyable to play as him in brawl, he was the diversity that the Starfox reps so desperately needed.

Shovel Knight: 18%, it would sadden me if people thought Shovel Knight was more likely than Snake

Nominations:
Henry Fleming (x2)
Wonder Red (x2)
Ray (Custom Robo) (x1)

Last edited:

SL the Pyro

Smash Apprentice
Wolf
I'm tired right now, so I'm not going to go on a long spiel. I'll do quick paragraphs instead.

Chances: 90%
First-party, popular, already has a moveset from a previous entry in the series. Doubtlessly the biggest thing he has going for him is Lucas' DLC announcement since it implies that pseudo-clones aren't out of the question. Logically you'd think he'd be a shoe-in, but the remaining 10% is from 1) being a pseudo-clone that's not quite at Lucas' popularity level, and 2) that he wasn't in the final build of the original game to start with. Are the voters really pulling for him so much, or are they trying to get something fresh into the game? Is Nintendo thinking the same way? For now I'll assume Wolf is sitting pretty, but I won't rule out a last-minute disaster.

Want: 10%
Despite Wolf being one of my Brawl secondaries, I surprise myself at how little I want him back. To put it bluntly, I'm part of the crowd that wouldn't miss him if it meant a brand new character would get his DLC slot. I was okay with a heavier Fox/Falco in the past, but it's still Fox/Falco and I never liked them for some reason, and 3DS/Wii U hasn't been improving my opinion of them.

----------

Shovel Knight:
Prediction: 10%
In my comparisons to this Indie frontrunner and Shantae, I've always ended up with Shantae having the more favourable situation in all but one factor: popularity. Shovel Knight's Western fanbase is huge and vocal, and would be the only conceivable reason he'd ever get a DLC slot. Other than that however, he's got pretty much nothing that other third-parties/indies don't already have except better. I'm not holding my breath for him.

----------

Nominations: Quote x5 (might as well finish up super-popular indie reps)

Last edited:

MainJPW

M.T.A
Wolf
I'm tired right now, so I'm not going to go on a long spiel. I'll do quick paragraphs instead.

Chances: 80%
First-party, popular, already has a moveset from a previous entry in the series. Logically you'd think he'd be a shoe-in, but the remaining 20% is from 1) being a pseudo-clone
That didn't stop Lucas.

Seanp12

Smash Journeyman
Wolf
Chance: 90%
I see absolutely nothing standing in Wolf's way. He's popular, he's a veteran, he's far more different from Fox than Lucas is from Ness, and Star Fox isn't exactly hogging the roster. The ten percent less is just good old fashioned caution.

Want: 70%
I was fine with Wolf being gone at first, even though he was my favorite character to use in Brawl. I don't get attached to mains--I'm a "For Fun" guy rather than "For Glory. Even so, I think he'd be a welcome addition and I would enjoy using his taunts again. I wouldn't be surprised at all if he's being prepared to help hype Star Fox U.

Shovel Knight
Prediction: 10%
I don't expect him to do much better than Shantae.

Nominations:
Henry Fleming (Code Name: S.T.E.A.M.) x1
Abraham Lincoln (Code Name: S.T.E.A.M.) x1
Ridley x1
Concept: Any Star Fox character DLC released near Star Fox U release date x2

cybersai

Smash Ace
Wolf Chances: 100%.

Sakurai would have to be REALLY mean spirited to purposely not include Wolf after bring back both Lucas and Roy.

Jestar

Prinsass of Hyrule
NNID
JML-64
Switch FC
2130-3831-9341
:wolf:
Chances: 99.9%

There is literally absolutely no reason for Wolf to not make it into the game. With Lucas (and most likely Roy) confirmed, Wolf has literally no competition to be next in line against veterans, which are the most wanted and the easiest to make. The only veterans that can challenge him are Snake and the Ice Climbers, but their chances of making it into the game are very slim. Wolf is more popular than any remaining potential newcomer if polls mean anything and is definitely much easier to get into the game even if he wasn't thanks to Brawl data porting and having his move set "already done" compared to newcomers who need to be made from scratch. Faster release plus less costs = more profit. Plus with Star Fox Wii U, the advertising potential is huge plus it gives Wolf a new game which kills the "irrelevance argument" which Lucas already killed. The whole "Fox stole 1 custom move so he can't be in" means jack since Lucas still has all of his specials which Ness "stole" from him. And before some brings up "The Wolf color for Fox" I point to the Mario "Wario" color and vice versa along with the Marth "Roy" color. As for the Wolf trophy? Since Mewtwo gets brand new trophy's, the assault trophy is just a bonus trophy and doesn't hurt his chances one bit. Finally, the character selection screen doesn't mean jack anymore in terms of placement since Mewtwo got put in a "DLC corner".

Literally THE ONLY reason Wolf won't be in is developer bias/the staff has an unreasonable hate/grudge against him.

Wolf was THE ONLY character I liked using in brawl. Most of that came from brawl playing like complete trash, but also because Wolf played so amazing in it despite the terrible game engine. Stuff like his upsmash (inset voice clip here), forward smash, gun with a blade on it, "counter" reflector, sweet spotted Wolf Flashes, down throws, pummels, heavy weight and incredible air speed (tied with Wario for 3rd) were some of the best things about him. Say what you want about him being a clone of varying degree but to me, he's an incredibly unique character with a move set and play style no character in Brawl or Smash 4 can match in terms of fun, which is all that matters at the end of the day.

D

Deleted member

Chances of wolf getting in is 98% indeed.
Want 100%.
I bet he comes after Lucas. Betting 1 buck on it.

Warlock*G

Banned via Warnings
3DS FC
0146-9477-0226
"Saitou Hajime (Rurouni Kenshin) x15"
Why is this a thing? This is an anime character.
Because Saitou was in a game on the Nintendo DS (guess which one?). So on that technicality, he's in. :happysheep:

Wolf
Chances: 85%. This mofo is demanded more than boats on the post-iceberg Titanic.
Want: 0%. I didn't care about Wolf then, I don't care about him now.

Edit: I also nominate (again) Ruroken's Saitou Hajime x5. All opposed may sue me for half my dignity. Nah not really.

Last edited:

IvanQuote

Smash Ace
NNID
ivanquote
3DS FC
1693-3075-2999
Wolf:

Chance: 88%

Behind Lucas, he's basically the most popular Japanese request. Also he can easily be brought in.

Want: 80%

Hey guys, I'm not indifferent on something this time! While Wolf, next to Wario, Olimar, and Peach, was my worst character in Brawl, I just want to hear his lines with that ol' British accent of his.

Shovel Knight predict:

Chance:18%

Want: 75%

Rep: Quote x5

D

Deleted member

Because Saitou was in a game on the Nintendo DS (guess which one?). So on that technicality, he's in. :happysheep:
He still originated from an anime, therefore he's not allowed in a crossover featuring VIDEO GAME characters. It's the same reason why Goku can't be in Smash.

Warlock*G

Banned via Warnings
3DS FC
0146-9477-0226
He still originated from an anime, therefore he's not allowed in a crossover featuring VIDEO GAME characters. It's the same reason why Goku can't be in Smash.
1. It's a crackpot nomination made for the hell of it.
2. Complain to the one who added him to the list multiple times.
3. *Yawn*

A10theHero

SSJ Fraud
NNID
A10theHero
Wolf:
Chance: 75%
+ Popular
+ Veteran
~+ New game coming out soon (relevance)
+/- We have no idea why he wasn't in Smash 4--and if there was a problem, we don't know if it's been resolved

:shiro:

Prediction:
Shovel Knight
7%

Nomination:
Spyro the Dragon [x5]

I think the biggest problem with him is the bystander effect - everyone expects him to get in, so nobody votes him.
I'm not saying this to be mean or anything, but I believe you are using the incorrect psychological term here. The "bystander effect" occurs when nobody is willing to help a victim due to the belief that others will rescue him/her. The better term to use here is the "diffusion of responsibility". This refers to when people in a group slacken their efforts because they believe that other members of said group "have them covered". People might be so certain of Wolf's inclusion, that they do little to support him. They believe that other people have already secured his inclusion. Now, these terms are very similar and there are areas of overlap between them, but the reason why I wouldn't describe it as the "bystander effect" is simply because Wolf is not really a victim of any sorts.

Nimbostratus

Smash Journeyman
Wolf
Chance- 93%
Not much to say. Everyone knows he's got a great chance. Probably the highest chance score I'll give (well, ignoring possible leaks). Can't justify going any higher, though, as nothing's a guarantee when we have no idea just how many DLC characters we are going to get.
Want- 93%
I wasn't really all that terribly upset about his absence, yet I still would really like to see him back, especially with the Wii U game coming out. I did have some fun playing as him.

Shovel Knight Predictions- 19%
Nominations:
Ice Climbers x5

D

Deleted member

The Directory has been updated.

Wolf
Chance:
75%

Out of all the characters, I say that Wolf has the strongest chance.
Out of all the veterans, Wolf is easily the most demanded. Wolf is not only unique, but he is far less divisive and his cut could be seen as unfair to most people as he is an important Nintendo character.
Wolf was probably cut due to time constraints and/or because Sakurai thought that Star Fox didn't have a future and cut him. Now that Star Fox U is coming out and Wolf has a role, I say that gives him a pretty big reason to return.
Really, everything that I want to say has been said by other users.
I am not going to give Wolf above 90% because that is close to absolutes and... well... I can't be 100% about his return, despite his incredibly strong case.

There were two veterans that I was devastated that didn't make the game; Wolf and Mewtwo.
Not only do I like Wolf and love his play style the most out of the Star Fox characters, but Wolf is a pretty unjustified cut. It feels weird how this roster doesn't have him at all...
When I saw his trophy... I was pretty deflated over it. When I saw Wolf Flash be one of Fox's customs, I was pretty upset over it...
Honestly, I really want Wolf to return and I will be really upset if he didn't.

Shovel Knight Prediction: 15.73%
I'm curious about his want score, but I know people will fend him off in terms of chance.

Nominations: DLC Alt Costumes 10x

Last edited by a moderator:

Amiiboshiibo

Smash Journeyman
Wolf:
Chance: 90% - With the addition of Lucas and Starfox U coming, he will most likely come back.
Want: 90% - Starfox is underrepresented and Wolf is the most obvious character (besides Krystal and maybe Leon Powalski)

Shovel Knight:
Prediction: 5% - That percentage might be a bit too generous. Shovel Knight has no Japan release, and the game is VERY new, so he pretty much has no chance.

Nominations: Ninten x2, Black Shadow x1, Inkling x2

Delzethin

Character Concept Creator
NNID
Delzethin
"Another Smash game? And you didn't invite me?

Can't let you do that, Sakurai!"

--

Wolf

Chance: 80%
I'm surprised it took us almost two weeks to get to him. That last of the "new Big Three" along with Mewtwo and Lucas, Wolf is the last of them not to be announced as DLC. The fans made their disappointment clear when they found he missed the initial cut this time around...which is kind of funny, considering how poorly received he was when he was first discovered in Brawl and the fans made their dislike clear of getting another semi-clone of Fox.

Regardless of the reason, this time around it looks like he has a better chance right now than anyone. In every single poll he's in the top five (Usually in the top three!), with a dedicated following that hopes he returns. Being a Brawl veteran means he has a moveset already made that only needs to be re-coded and tweaked. He wouldn't get vetoed for feeling redundant, either. Semi-clone Lucas got in, and Wolf is less of a Fox clone than Falco is, and there're some arguments that he isn't even a semi-clone.

And then there's the elephant in the room...or should I say the fox in the spaceship? The most likely reason Wolf was left off to begin with was the Star Fox series' dormant state when development began. He was less of a priority than, say, Bowser Jr., and as such his home series' fall from relevance made him expendable. But now Star Fox is making a triumphant return this fall, setting up the perfect opportunity for a "look who's relevant again" reveal this E3 and subsequent release near when the new game comes out.

However...I can't rule out something unpredictable happening. Didn't we learn last July not to speak in absolutes? We never truly know what's going on over in wherever in Japan the dev team sets up base, and we could still get caught completely off guard with their next move. Something could still happen to take Wolf out of the running, something we're not aware of yet, and because of that I can't rate him any higher.

Besides...a 4-in-5 chance is still pretty damn good.

Want: 40%
I have mixed feelings about him. On one hand, he's less of a clone than Falco is, and I can see the appeal in how he fights. He has the kind of brutal, visceral attacks that feel really satisfying to use. On the other, I'm still a bigger fan of unique characters than even fringe clones, and there's a certain other Star Fox character I'm more invested in.

Just saying, though...there's nothing stopping them both from getting in.

Shovel Knight Prediction: 12.00%
He's better known than his counterpart Shantae and has a larger following, but he still hasn't been around for long and doesn't have that iconic status. That'll hurt him.

Nominations: Sceptile x5
By the way, you know the move Energy Ball? The really cool looking one you have to use a TM to put on most mons? Did you know the Treecko line is one of only a few to learn it naturally?

Last edited:

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
Wolf:90% :wolf:

+++ Very popular request
+++ Veteran
++ Some of his assets are already in the game in Fox's custom moves
++ Can Promote Star Fox U very easily.
++ A million other pluses....

Negatives:
- Um.... I honestly can't think of one...

Like really.

Wolf has no negatives...

If he isn't in, I'd be baffled.

I want him back. He's as amazing character.

Sakurai please.

Shovel Knight prediction: 8%

Phoenix Wright x3
Ivysaur:ivysaur:
Squirtle:squirtle:

Top Bottom