• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Rate Their Chances: GAME OVER! Join the RTC Social Group Today!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sabrewulf238

Smash Hero
K. Rool chance - 65%

He's still in with a shot thanks to the kremlins appearing in smash run. It's definitely getting tight though.

K. Rool want - 15%

He doesn't interest me, that 15% is awarded solely because a lot of people want him.

Dixie Kong chance - 50%

I think she's a little overrated and she missed her best chance to be revealed back when Tropical Freeze came out. She's not out of the running though.

Dixie Kong want - 0%

Not interested.

Cranky Kong - 1%

At this stage he'll hardly get in over K Rool or Dixie. I only see one DK newcomer if any now.

Cranky Kong -0%

No.

I think it's fair to say the Donkey Kong franchise doesn't do much for me.

Last edited:

Arcanir

An old friend evolved
NNID
Shoryu91
3DS FC
4253-4855-5860
King K. Rool
Chances: 80%
The Kremlings show that Sakurai has paid attention to the classic enemies from DK, and we do know he's an extremely popular request by fans. Plus, he's the most notable and iconic villain in the DK franchise along with one of the few villains notably missing from the SSB cast. So there's a lot going for him to become playable this time around.

Want: 100%
Number two on my list of most wanted characters, and is one of the few that I've wanted for a long time.

Dixie
Chances: 65%
While she does have some flaws, I wouldn't say she's too far behind King K. Rool as she's still an important and popular character in her franchise.

Want: 50%
Ambivalent.

Cranky
Chances: 5%
He is an recurring character in the franchise and could be something of a darkhorse, but his prominence and popularity do not reach up to the mark that both King K. Rool and Dixie set. I'd imagine both would be considered over him.

Want: 30%
I like the character, but I can't say he's someone I'd want over either of the other two.

The Light Music Club

Smash Master
NNID
_TLMC_
3DS FC
0576-6097-0725
K. Rool chance - 70%

I think he still has a good chance

K. Rool want - 65%

I always thought he was cool, but some other characters have begun to interest me more (Palutena, Micaiah, Lip, ETC)

Dixie Kong chance - 40%

I think she was a good idea to be paired with Diddy, but a bad character to have on her own.

Dixie Kong want - 0%

I don't like her, I always liked Tiny Kong more. Plus, I hated DKC3 (Or whichever one she's the main in)

Cranky Kong - 5%

I don't think he will be in. I even think Funky Kong would be a better option

Cranky Kong -50%

Depends on how he is implemented.

Cheezey Bites

Slime Knight
NNID
koske1
3DS FC
4356-0097-9129
K. Rool:
So I've flopped on him. Once I said he was the best choice barr none, and then an old trick that's forgotten to the age... I still believe both, but my trust of Nintendo's understanding of the Fans, and the quality of this Smash title, have both taken a nose-dive... However, recency isnt' an issue because Kritters are in...

Chance: 65%
A middle ground I guess. He didn't get an Easter Egg in DKTF, but he has Minions in Smash Run... he's certainly not forgotten whatever happens, though that doesn't necessarily mean he makes playable. The problem is I'm now expecting his competition more than I used to...

He'd be great.

Dixie:
I gave her 40% last time... that sounds about right.

Chance: 40%
I still don't see what she'd bring exactly, but she would be relatively easy to make....

Want: 20%
Could think of worse character, but would be a bit dissapointed.

Cranky:
It's Sakurai...

Chance: 20%
He's been around forever and is one of the most Iconic characters from the series... he'd also be easier to make a move set for in my opinion, but I guess Sakurai may feel differently.

Want: 80%
A better pick than Dixie, but to get him and not K.Rool would be terrible.

Shulk: 71%
Mewtwo: 73%

Typs

Smash Cadet
K. Rool:
Chance: 75% K.rool is going to appear in this game, with the kritters reappearing it's almost certain, however he might be a boss for the unannounced wii u DK stage, so his chances are good but not high.
Want: 97%

Dixie:
Chance: 60% She is the third most important playable character in the DK series so her chances are good, but she has to compete with one of the most requested newcomer in the world, and i doubt we're going to get 4 DK rep
Want: 50%

Cranky:
Chance: 10% Either we get 5 DK rep and he is in, or sakurai loves the character so much that he decide to put him before K.rool and Dixie. He is very unlikely.
Want: 60%

PKNinja95

Smash Ace
NNID
AKninja95
3DS FC
3351-4567-0361
K. Rool
Chance: 75% DK needs another rep and for some reason I think he would fit well.

Want: 90% We need more villains anyway so he would be a interesting fighter

Dixie:
Chance: 55% It's possible but it would be hit or miss. K Rool would be a higher priority though.

Want: 60% I don't know what they would do for her attacks

Cranky Kong
Chance: 1% Cramps is too old and K Rool and Dixie have way higher chabmnces than him

Want 0% He won't fit at all

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

My write-up is gone. **** this.

K. Rool: 60% (chance), 100% (want)
Dixie Kong: 45% (chance), 75% (want)
Cranky Kong: 5% (chance), 75% (want)

If anyone wants my explanation, just ask.

Mewtwo: 72.31%
Because apparently, Gekkouga's inclusion and thinking in slots and not characters means Mewtwo isn't getting in. *rolls eyes* Still obvious, though that's an essay for tomorrow.z

Shulk: 75.23%
The leak will help him out, although we will still see detractors.

Last edited by a moderator:

Natz~

Full of Hugs and Fire~
revived multiple occupation reptile: 60%
he is very popular I keep hearing his name everywhere, plus we haven't seen the krmelings in like 6 years? they just popped up in that direct! that's something!
want - 50%
untitled.png

pony tail with an attitude: 55%
I guess she got the lower hand, but she is practically the third playable kong, that's also something
want: 80%

.......old guy: 5%
uh....I guess he has a chance
want - 0%

shulk: 70%
mewtww: 70%
I don't know *shrugs*
mother of okami,
eh? what does she has to do with this? I don't think it even matters anyway

:p

Last edited:

Gunla

It's my bit, you see.
Administrator
BRoomer
Writing Team
Normal Ratings will return post Mewtwo & Shulk.
Mewtwo is gonna be bigger than ever. I'll be typing up yet another argumentive essay.
Character-Chance/Want
King K Rool- 65%/100%
Dixie-25%/40%
Cranky-10%/00.00%

PREDICTIONS:
Shulk- 70%
Mewtwo- 85%

Rockaphin

Smash Champion
NNID
Rockaphin
3DS FC
2595-0113-8473
King K. Rool:
Chance: 80%

Dixie:
Chance: 70%

Cranky:
Chance: 10%
Want: 2%

False Sense

Ad Astra Per Aspera
NNID
FalseSense
3DS FC
3368-2599-3209
So, now we have the Donkey Kong trio, eh? Seems like we finally have some evidence that leans towards one over the others. So...

King K. Rool Chance: 80%

Fairly high, but I think it's justified. K. Rool has always been a popular choice for Smash rosters, and is often considered one of the more likely characters to appear. However, until recently, he had the issue of not appearing in a video game in several years. Meanwhile, a very recent installment of the Donkey Kong series featured a return of Dixie Kong, another popular candidate for Smash. And thus began the debates over who was more likely to appear in Smash. Funny thing is, we haven't seen much Donkey Kong content in the game itself. Aside from Donkey and Diddy themselves, there really hasn't been much else to see from the franchise that could indicate one of K. Rool or Dixie being more likely than the other. That is, until the Direct.

With the Direct came the introduction of Smash Run, a new mode that featured numerous enemies from many of the series represented in Smash. Notably among these enemies were Kremlings, marking their first appearance in years. With this, we now know that Sakurai is indeed looking at those past Donkey Kong games and is pulling content from them. Thus, the idea that K. Rool isn't recent enough now has in-game evidence to go against it. When taking relevancy out of the picture, K. Rool wins out over Dixie in most categories, notably popularity and move set potential. Thus, K. Rool is the more logical choice, and probably the more likely at this point.

King K. Rool Want: 85%

Kind of odd, actually. I'm rating K. Rool higher than Palutena in this category, despite the fact that Palutena is probably the character whose appearance and playstyle I'd actually prefer. So why is K. Rool higher? I guess because he's just so wanted by so many people. His popularity is quite insane, really. This is one of those characters that people have wanted in Smash for years, and he has plenty of justifications to be in. Being able to have such a beloved, deserving character on the roster more than makes up for my personal indifference towards him. ...Does that make any sense?

Dixie Kong Chance: 50%

Oh yeah, Dixie Kong. Once considered the more likely between her an K. Rool, Dixie has taken a bit of a fall recently. Previously, a good number of people thought that her recent appearance in Tropical Freeze practically guaranteed a spot in Smash. However, that was before we saw any evidence within Smash itself. At this point, I'd like to bring up a point I haven't seen much of lately; there was no sign of Tropical Freeze enemies in Smash Run. While Kremlings and Tikis were clearly seen, no enemies from Tropical Freeze appeared, despite being the latest game in the series. This seems to imply that Tropical Freeze might have come out too late for Smash, and may not be receiving any content or acknowledgement in Smash. If that is the case, then that means Dixie's appearance in Tropical Freeze may not have actually increased her chances at all; on the contrary, she may have the same relevance issues K. Rool has. Without that boost, Dixie falls behind K. Rool as an ideal choice for Smash. At this point, she seems like the less likely of the two.

However, she still gets a solid 50% due to the possibility of her being added late into development, possibly as a semi-clone of Diddy, or if Tropical Freeze is being acknowledged and we just haven't seen anything from it yet. Still, based on the evidence we currently have, she seems unlikely.

Dixie Kong Want: 40%

She's not a bad character choice, but I don't think she's as deserving or as interesting as K. Rool is.

Cranky Kong Chance: 5%
Cranky Kong Want: 15%

Can't really say much for this. Seems like an odd choice.

Last edited:

TheMysterious2634

Smash Cadet
ENTER INTO THE JUNGLE WITH ME!
King K. Rool:
Chance: 70% I'm not giving him any more than this. Kritters don't really do it for me. He hasn't done much lately himself. I have seen the K. Rool arguments, and they make sense enough to score him 70 on my list of chance.
Want: 50% Indifferent.

Dixie Kong:
Chance: 70% I'm giving her the same chance as K. Rool because I find them to be very equal in terms of chance. Both have good reasons to be in (so why not both Sakurai?).
Want: 100% I really like her. She's like Diddy Kong, but she'd have a different move set and all that. She had me at DKC3.

Cranky Kong:
Chance: 5% No, I don't think so honestly.
Want: 5% Eh, he wouldn't be a pleasure to have.

Note: I'm going to be more greedy on my chance percentages b/c we don't have that much longer until we must have a full character roster (Summer 2014).

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Normal Ratings will return post Mewtwo & Shulk.
Mewtwo is gonna be bigger than ever. I'll be typing up yet another argumentive essay.
Character-Chance/Want
King K Rool- 65%/100%
Dixie-25%/40%
Cranky-10%/00.00%

PREDICTIONS:
Shulk- 70%
Mewtwo- 85%
Same here. I'm definitely not missing the opportunity to counter arguments made against Mewtwo.

THE ONE WHO MAKES THE BIGGEST ESSAY WINS!

Gunla

It's my bit, you see.
Administrator
BRoomer
Writing Team
Same here. I'm definitely not missing the opportunity to counter arguments made against Mewtwo.

THE ONE WHO MAKES THE BIGGEST ESSAY WINS!
I made a 2500+ essay in old RTC for Mewtwo's last rating, topping it now.
Best of Luck!

Last edited:

Burigu

Smash Ace
Well let's begin:

King K. Rool
Chance: 60% like I have said before I try to be realistic and despite the fact that the kremlings "raised" his chances I still don't see his inclusion set in stone, but that's maybe me been exceptical most of the time (even with Palutena yesterday and with the among of evidence going for her inclusion).

Want: 30% please don't kill me nothing wrong with him being in the game, I just don't like his design I will prefer Ridley over him and I didn't rated Ridley that high either.

Dixie Kong
Chance: 60% yes the same as the king, like said the appearance of kremlings for me is not a clear reference toward Rool so in my eyes they both have the same chance for being of the same series.

Want: 60% I suppose I prefer monkeys

Cranky Kong
Chance: 0% don't see him happening

Want: 0% I suppose I don't like old primates with the same facial expresion as DK (that is for you too Funky), I don't see him being popular either

Bradli Wartooth

Smash Lord
NNID
Aearlir
K. Rool-
Chance: 65% because of the lack of villain characters and Kremlings in Smash Run
Want: 100% so I can have a childhood dream realized

Dixie-
Chance: 50% because of her appearance in DK:TF
Want: 50% because I would rather see K. Rool.

Cranky-
Chance: 20% because he would be too random...
Want: 0% because no.

cephalopod17

Smash Ace
NNID
cephalopod17
K. Rool

Chance: 72%
He's not a shoe in, but he is likely. He is one of the most, if not most wanted newcomer. He is the main antagonist of a popular series, which just got a second character in Brawl. The fact that the Kremlings are announced as enemies in Smash Run helps his case. This shows that they are still relevant and that Nintendo (Maybe just Sakurai) still cares about the original antagonists of DKC.

Would be higher if possible. I want to see K. Rool even more now after replaying the DKC series. One of my close friends even got me a K. Rool shirt for my birthday (Going to wear that when if he is confirmed)

Dixie Kong

Chance: 45%
She was not announced in the February Direct, which would of increased hype for Smash and Tropical Freeze. Hype would lead to more money. That and the greater uniqueness that K. Rool offers and the semi-clone nature of Dixie makes me think K. Rool is more likely.

Want: 75%
Nothing against her, but K. Rool is one of my favorite video game villains.

Cranky Kong

Chance: 8%
I don't see him getting in over those characters.

He is pretty hilarious.

Mewtwo - 90%
Shulk - 70%

Zhadgon

Smash Lord
NNID
Zhadgon
King K. Rool
Want: 90%

Dixie Kong

Cranky Kong
Chance: 10%
Want: 10%

.n_n.

DaUsername

Smash Ace
NNID
DaUsername
Switch FC
SW-1418-0536-1998
King K. Rool
Chance: 99%

Dixie Kong
Chance: 40%

Cranky Kong
Chance: 1%
Want: 0%

Oops I almost forgot predictions.
Mewtwo: 75%
Shulk: 70%

Last edited:

andimidna

Smash Master
I don't think "too new" and "wasn't revealed alongside recent game" are very good arguments against Dixie Kong.
C'mon guys... Greninja debuted late October and Tropical Freeze was planned for December yet released in February.
How does Greninja not destroy both of those arguments?
Greninja's reveal wasn't even close to the release of X and Y. Neither was Charizard/Mega Charizard's or Lucario/Mega Lucario's.
We get content revealed to us whenever Sakurai wants it to be shown.
No Tropical Freeze content could also be used as an argument for her, they could easily wait till her reveal to show the stage off. Once again, just like what happened with Greninja.
I know his reveal was fairly recent, but with new information, you have to re-think old arguments.
Greninja basically destroys the 3 main arguments I see being used against Dixie.
The other argument I see is she doesn't have very many abilities or variation amongst her moves. But with Little Mac as a playable character, that argument sounds a bit outdated to me.
Sure, K Rool got an increase, and is Dixie's main competition. But you have to consider the things that also helped her case. It's not as one-sided as "Kremlings in Smash Run=K Rool is a playable character=no other DK newcomers besides him"

Just some thoughts I wanted to share.

Last edited:

FinalStarmen

Smash Ace
I will keep it succinct, for the sake of simplicity.

King K. Rool

Chance: 95%

Dixie Kong
Want: 15%

Cranky Kong
Chance: 3%
Want: 5%

Mewtwo
Chance Prediction: 70%
Shulk
Chance Prediction: 60%

Last edited:

KingofPhantoms

The Spook Factor
3DS FC
1006-1145-8453
King K. Rool - 90%

He's been a popular choice for a very long time, and with his large amount of potential, he seems like a character that would be right up Sakurai's alley.

Furthermore, the Kremlings have made a comeback as enemies in Smash Run on the 3DS version. K. Rool and the Kremlings have not appeared since 2008, in Mario Super Sluggers, which was their latest appearance up until now. This is an indication that we'll very likely be getting more DKC content this time around, and it's a strong indication that K. Rool will appear, in some form as well, likely playable. At least, unlike Ridley, K. Rool honestly doesn't seem like a character that would seem like a Smash Bros. boss. I can't seem him working as a boss in a similar manner to other bosses in the Smash Bros. series.

Alongside Palutena, I feel K. Rool is currently one of the most likely newcomers for the upcoming Smash game/s.

Want - 100%

Regrettably, I have never played any of the original DKC games, or DK 64 for that matter, but I've seen quite of lot of gameplay footage of them, and I see a boatload of potential in him. I also really want him for his stronger fanbase. K. Rool deserves to be Smash, and it's about time he gets in.

Dixie Kong - 60%

I'm starting to lose some faith in her, but she still has a chance.

Want - 75%

I'd rather have K. Rool over her, but she would be cool too I suppose. I'd much prefer if she got in along with K. Rool.

Cranky Kong - 10%

He's got a small chance and some potential mainly thanks to DKCF, but I feel that game is a bit TOO recent... after all the Kremlings have returned, and IIRC, Tikis were shown to appear as well. I'll be surprised if we see much Tropical Freeze content, if any, in Smash 4 at this point.

Cranky just doesn't have much going for him.

Want - 55%

Honestly he could be pretty cool, as long as he gets in along with K. Rool and Dixie, but having him in before either, or BOTH of them for that matter, would be an insult IMO.

Mewtwo Prediction - 72%

Expecting chance scores to drop with Greninja's inclusion.

Shulk Prediction - 76.35%

Erimir

Smash Lord
3DS FC
3823-8583-9137
I don't think "too new" and "wasn't revealed alongside recent game" are very good arguments against Dixie Kong.
I agree that "too new" is a really poor argument against a character that debuted 19 years ago.
C'mon guys... Greninja debuted late October and Tropical Freeze was planned for December yet released in February.
How does Greninja not destroy both of those arguments?
Greninja actually is new. Dixie is not. Dixie was already familiar and popular.

Greninja needed time to become familiar, promoted and (they were assuming/hoping) popular before they could reveal him. The chorus of "Huh? Who?" would've been even greater had he not had several months to be seen as a standout among the Gen 6 Pokemon.

Dixie Kong has no such motivation for delaying her reveal. Hence, they are not equivalent.
Greninja's reveal wasn't even close to the release of X and Y. Neither was Charizard/Mega Charizard's or Lucario/Mega Lucario's.
We get content revealed to us whenever Sakurai wants it to be shown.
I've had this argument before, but the fact is that most of the reveals have been linked to game releases or anniversaries. Lucario was a Brawl newcomer and was revealed on Brawl's JP anniversary. Even Little Mac was revealed during Punch-Out's 30th anniversary month.

Obviously not all of them have been linked this way, and Dixie doesn't HAVE to be linked to it. The point is only that there's a decent chance that if she were in, Sakurai would've chosen to reveal her around Tropical Freeze's launch. That he didn't hurts her chances at least a little. It doesn't knock her out of contention by any means. But it certainly isn't good news for her.
Greninja basically destroys the 3 main arguments I see being used against Dixie.
One counterexample doesn't destroy a trend. If people were saying she was deconfirmed, you'd have a point. But nobody's saying that.
The other argument I see is she doesn't have very many abilities or variation amongst her moves. But with Little Mac as a playable character, that argument sounds a bit outdated to me.
Again, Little Mac is one counterexample. It doesn't mean that abilities and variation in moveset potential are now irrelevant. You can say it means they're less relevant than we might have assumed before. It doesn't mean it's a non-factor though. Sakurai's comments about it certainly suggest he considered it a challenge.

You shouldn't overextrapolate from a single instance. There's a fairly robust correlation between a series's sales and the number of playable characters it has. And I mean that based on actually doing the math. The fact that Earthbound is an outlier doesn't "destroy" that trend or mean that sales are irrelevant.
Sure, K Rool got an increase, and is Dixie's main competition. But you have to consider the things that also helped her case. It's not as one-sided as "Kremlings in Smash Run=K Rool is a playable character=no other DK newcomers besides him"
I haven't seen any people saying that (but maybe I missed it). They've been giving Dixie significantly lower scores than K Rool, but not to the point where people think K Rool is the only possibility. Chill.

I've seen people rating K Rool down at like 10% and 20% too, you know.

Groose

Smash Champion
Before I give my ratings, please allow me a moment to reminisce. When I was a lad, my best friend got a copy of the original DKC on the Gameboy. We spent a lot of time taking turns at those levels that seemed ridiculously challenging to our young minds, and after a couple weeks of getting Game Over after Game Over, we finally did it. It wasn't long after that I got DKC2 for the Gameboy Advance, and my friend and I each created our own save files and went through the game. I remember DKC2 being much more challenging than the original, and it actually took us several months to get to the end. Whereas he got stuck on Toxic Tower (and remains there to this day), I eventually beat the entire game (including the K. Rool Duel, which was possibly the hardest thing I ever beat as a kid).

After DKC2 was in the rearview mirror, we were unfortunately unable to continue to DKC3 because it hadn't received a Gameboy Advance port at that time. So what did we do? Well, we did meddle around with DK64 on my friend's system for awhile, but neither of us particularly enjoyed it. We watched a lot of the old cartoon show, but that wasn't as long-lasting as the actual games. My friend actually moved on from the franchise, but I went hunting for Donkey Kong Land titles in the types of used game stores that you just don't see any more. It was a fun thing to do for months until I eventually got (and beat) all three of them. With that said and done, I took a little bit of a hiatus from playing DK games, and it wasn't until the dawn of the Wii Virtual Console that this changed.

While I was hanging out with my friend again (we've been friends and neighbors all the way from elementary school on), I was lamenting the fact that I couldn't try DK64 because it wasn't available for some reason. His response? We started playing the game on his old N64. I found it more enjoyable than before, but it still isn't comparable to the series' 2D entrants in my eyes. So upon realizing this, I decided to go and get DKC3, and I beat that, too. I replayed DKC2 on my Gameboy and beat t again for the second or third time. By then, Returns was coming out, and I absorbed that game, too.

However, from the launch of Returns to now, I went on another DKC hiatus. Last month I picked up my copy of DKC2 again. It had three save files filled--mine from when I was a kid, my friend's, still stuck at Toxic Tower, from that time, and the playthrough I beat a few year ago. It's just so... poetic, in my eyes, that that game and the others around it serve as a direct link to a younger version of myself.

I'm sure it's quite clear that I have an almost unhealthy attachment to the DK franchise. I would say it's my favorite platform series of all time and is my fourth-favorite franchise of all time (behind Zelda, Ace Attorney, and obviously Smash). As you will see (or already know, because I spout it off too much), my newcomer of choice for the franchise is King K. Rool, but what of my friend? Although the character he wanted most for this game is Toad, his second most wanted... was King K. Rool. When I watched the Direct with him just last week, we were both rooting for... King K. Rool. Needless to say, my want for K. Rool is not just my own; I know people who want him as well.

That said... I will remain as objective as I can.

King K. Rool: 55%

I wouldn't say the Direct drastically changed his position. K. Rool's primary selling point has always been the extreme popularity he has around the globe that peaked during the period in which the roster of the game was being decided. K. Rool was a borderline Top-Five request both here an in Japan; no other newcomer is as strong and well-rounded as requests go. If requests were the only thing that mattered, he would be an absolute shoo-in.

...unfortunately for Rool, requests aren't everything. There's also moveset potential. Oh, wait, he has that too. In addition, a character should fit in well with the rest of the roster. We have too many villains as it is, so... oh wait, we don't? There is also things to consider like whether the series he is in is noteworthy enough to attract enough attention to get a character. Now, if Donkey Kong were a high-selling franchise that happened to be going through some sort of rebirth right now, that might help pull Sakurai's eye, but... oh, wait, it is?

Now, I said that I would keep this objective, and I will. K. Rool does have a few main drawbacks. His lack of visibility in recent years means that he may not have caught Sakurai's eye despite the fan requests. Additionally, he has competition--Dixie is arguably just as or maybe even more important to the series than he is , and she also has a pretty large fan base--and she's caught the eye of god before.

In the end, I'm cautiously optimistic about his chances. When evaluating the evidence, it seems likely to me that he was selected; even so, it would not be overly surprising if he weren't present (there can only be so many newcomers, and I can think of a few that seem more likely than he is).

K. Rool Want: 100%
Fun Fact: I remember making full (taunts, aerials, tilts... full) movesets for three characters that didn't make it in Brawl shortly after the game launched. Those three characters? K. Rool, Little Mac, and Paper Mario.

Dixie Kong: 25%

She has the eye of god, like I mentioned above. She also has the eye of Retro studios, and the eye of many fans (though she didn't have nearly as many back when it mattered). She's debatably even more important to the series as K. Rool, and she shares the whole "DK is both big and relevant" thing. Oh, and she's a female, so she adds diversity, and her hair could make her somewhat unique while her body could make her an easier clone. Even so, there are two things that really hurt her--the first is competition. She's up against one of the most requested of all, and that's no small feat. Additionally, she wasn't revealed to hype the game that really, really could have used the hype; I've been through this before, and I don't have time to type it all out again. Overall, this brings her down to a respectable, but not gigantic, chance.

Dixie Kong Want: 40%
I love Dixie. She's a great boon in the DKC franchise with her hair twirl, and she's a cool character in general. If I weren't so skeptical that Sakurai would draw two characters from the same series, I'd probably be much more accepting of her; unfortunately, I just think K. Rool would make a better Smash character. Sorry, Dixie.

Cranky Kong: 5%
Cranky Kong would only have been considered if Sakurai knew all of the details about Tropical Freeze far in advance. This could be the case, but even then Sakurai would have to be extremely gutsy to choose the one DK newcomer that people actually didn't ask for. Some people may pull the Rosalina card on me here, but that's not really applicable; Cranky getting in over Dixie and Rool would be more akin to Rosalina making it in over Peach and Bowser than what actually happened.

Cranky Kong Want: 99%

...that said, I would love Cranky and definitely take him over Dixie any day of the week. He's one of my favorite characters in all of video gaming (surpassing K. Rool by a good margin just looking from a character standpoint), and I think it would be absolutely hilarious if he came out of retirement to smash those whippersnappers with his cane. Even so, I've wanted K. Rool since Brawl and think he would look even better than Cranky in a fighter. I give Cranky a 99% because for as happy as I'd be to see him, I'd be upset a bit if he got in over K. Rool.

DAY OVER

HAPPY 200, GUYS!

Groose

Smash Champion
King K. Rool
68.75% (was 68.28%)
78.88% (was 85.46%)

Surprise, surprise! Many of us thought that the Direct improved the King's chances, but our results to not show this really being the case; he experienced a marginal half of a percent increase in chance. Even more surprisingly, his want score dipped back to a low that hasn't been seen since June of last year; although he remains our Most Wanted Newcomer, it is by a margin of less than a percent. Palutena was just a hair away from claiming the double top spot, but the King was saved by the bell.

Dixie Kong
49.04% (was 63.68%)
54.21% (was 68.25%)

To be fair, we hadn't rated her since right before the February Direct; her chance was bound to plummet a bit. Even so, her want also experienced an unfortunate dip; what is it with people and wanting DK characters less now? She's no longer set to place in our Top Ten Want by my estimations, but she should keep Top Ten Chance honors.

Cranky Kong
8.97% (was 12.31%)
33.42% (was 37.20%)

Cranky Kong declined a bit in both aspects, but, like Dixie, he wasn't rated since before the February Direct. He's not as memetic as he was during his last rating and has suffered a bit accordingly.

Today we're having two of our most wanted--and most highly expected--characters returning for rerate. Both characters were not even alluded to in the Direct; are they suspicious in their absence? Please rate Shulk and Mewtwo in chance and want today. Tomorrow we'll be continuing on with our systematic rerating, and we'll be discussing two of the... less popular--but still--anticipated characters. Please predict how Mii and Pac-Man will do in tomorrow's matchup. Remember, nominations are still on hold.

Bauske

Pac-Maniac
NNID
Bauske
3DS FC
2878-9584-0314
Not much in the way of change on those three. Not surprising, but still fun to see regardless.

Shulk

Chance: 65% - I think Shulk has a lot going for him. I really had no idea who he was before I came to these boards, but he seems to be popular and a newcomer from a totally new source.
Want: 50% - Like I said, I don't even know him. I never played Xenoblade Chronicles, so the only thing I know about him is he dresses snazzy and his sword looks neato.

Mewtwo
Chance: 75% - To me, it just seems like it needs to happen. Mewtwo wasn't great in Melee, but he wasn't terrible. I think he made a great character though, and with a bit of a rework, he'd be perfect in the new Smash.
Want: 95% - Easily one of my top five returning characters. Next to Game & Watch, Mewtwo was my favorite in Melee. I was sad to see him cut from Brawl, but with his popularity from X and Y sparking again, I'd really love to see him as a fighter again.

Pac-Man prediction: 80% - Pac-Man is my most-wanted newcomer, and I'll talk more about this tomorrow, but I will say I'm giving him a positive number because I've seen a lot of people change their minds about his inclusion, either because they genuinely think he'd make a cool character or because they've caved in and accepted that it might happen. :p
Mii prediction: 60% - People are split pretty heavily on Miis as well. A lot of people don't want them in, but another lot think they'd make an interesting fighter.

andimidna

Smash Master
Shulk:
Chance: 83%
I believe I gave him a 75% last time?
SalRomano boosts his chances about 8% I think. Until he's wrong, I think we should consider him.
A 0.1% boost from last time.
Mewtwo:
Chance: 90%
Why not have 6 characters per series? It's the only way to do Pokemon justice IMO
Mewtwo and Jigglypuff need to come back, no questions asked. They're that well known, popular, and currently in the spotlight.
(Well, a re-type isn't really a spotlight, but it's better than nothing, which is what she had when she was brought back in Brawl.)
I want 6 Mario, Zelda, and Pokemon characters. Also he just happens to be the coolest Pokemon ever.
(actually he's 2nd to Gardveoir)

Predictions:
Pac-Man: 75%
Mii: 60%
Recent news on Miis:
+SalRomano
-The symbol on the FindMii stage indicates it's from FindMii and not a Mii Series, and to be in Smash you need to be part of a series.
-Miis were seen to show your profile. Not to be fighters
(-?)King Mii in the cage?

Uh-oh... is Dixie off the want list? Did Robin finally earn his way on to a chart without a mistake?

Last edited:

TheZombiePig

Smash Apprentice
Shulk:
-Chance: 70%
Probably the highest of all miscellaneous characters in my opinion. He's a very popular choice, and it's a great chance for Nintendo to advertise Monolith Soft's works. The reason it isn't higher is due to the amount of other series that could potentially obtain a new rep (Advanced Wars, Golden Sun, etc)
-Want: 62%
I don't know much about Xenoblade at all, but I like the idea of having more series represented, as well as having characters from more recent games (post-Brawl).

Mewtwo:
-Chance: Uhhhm... 68%?
He's an incredibly popular Pokemon, certainly among top three along with Charizard and Pikachu, and is one of the most requested Smash characters worldwide. However, the fact that Pokemon has 4 characters already, with a very likely return of Jiggly puff may hurt his chances, as well as the fact that two Pokemon hold mega evolutions already. Having a third may seem a bit repetitive, and while maybe not as severe, but similar to Landmaster Syndrome. However the absence of Mewtwo from the lineup of Pokemon during the direct, and Sakurai's comment at E3, still have him in the runnings. But it's certainly a much more difficult call than before.
-Want: 95%
I'm as much of a Pokemon fan as I am a Smash fan, and Mewtwo is neat-o. I won't be too hurt if he doesn't make it in though. As much as if love to see him back, I think it's just as nice to have someone completely new.

Predictions:
Pac-Man: 78%
Mii: 61%

andimidna

Smash Master
[collapse=such charts. very change]
I've been especially interested in this thread now that we're rating big characters every day
Don't worry, I'll be less "always here" and "doing stuff that's not my job" when we resume to rating characters like Tiny Kong and Bulborb.

DEM CHARTS THO.

1. Palutena - 95.23% chance
2. King K. Rool - 68.75% chance
3. Shulk - 64.06% chance
4. Mii - 61.62% chance,
5.Pac-Man - 59.96% chance
6.Takamaru - 49.67% chance
7. Dixie Kong - 49.04% chance
8. Chrom - 44.56% chance
9. Isaac - 33.87% chance
10. Ridley - 33.02% chance

Poor Dixie.
And K Rool almost didn't change at all.
I'm honestly surprised.

1. King K. Rool - 78.88% want
2. Palutena - 77.93% want
3. Ridley - 74.60% want
4. Banjo Kazooie - 72.57% want
5. Isaac - 68.46% want
6. Shulk - 66.79% want
7. Bomberman - 59.83% want
8. Takamaru - 57.51% want
9. Lip - 56.45% want
10. Robin - 56.00% want

Pooooor Dixie.
She's now less wanted than Shulk, Bomberman, Takamaru, Lip, Robin, and Hades.
And K Rool's top want throne was almost lost to Palutena!
She's really trying hard to take over!
But wait... trying too hard hasn't worked out for certain characters in the past...
But look!
Is this real? Has there been a mistake?
Nope! Robin has finally earned his way on to a chart!
Congrats, Robin fans!
But we're re-rating him soon...

Last edited:

Plain Yogurt

Smash Ace
Abstaining from Shulk. I think he's got a cool design, but I don't know a damn thing about him.

Mewtwo:
Chance: 70% The only reason this isn't higher is because he was actually cut from Brawl...under Jigglypuff. If Sakurai can choose to keep that cotton candy punching bag over the (arguably) most popular legendary in the Pokemon franchise, its possible that he could choose to do it again. That said, I do think he's got a good shot especially with the mega-evolution shenanigans.

Want: 90% Mewtwo is friggin' cool. To this day I personally believe they haven't made a legendary that's topped him. Just fix up his moveset a little and presto he'd be all set.

Predictions:
Pac-man: 74%
Mii: 65%

andimidna

Smash Master
Where's Brawler with his Shulk essay?
People must know his qualifications and possibilities!
(Or at least I think I remember it being him that posted it....)

D

Deleted member

Shulk

Chance: 75%

+ While he's not the most popular character around, he does have a strong cult following.
+ He's been hinted at.
+ He might appear in X...
-- ...but the hair length and eye color seen at the end of the trailer suggest that the character might be a descendant.
-- There is a possibility that the X protagonist might appear in Shulk's place...
+ ...but does Sakurai know any details about X that we don't? Unlikely.

Want: 90%

Shulk does have some abilities that I can imagine making him a unique Smash Bros. fighter and not "just another sword character." I'm also curious of how using the power of the Monado to see the future will be implemented.

Mewtwo

Chance: 80%

+ He's a very popular character among the Pokemon and, to an extent, Smash Bros. communities, so why not put him in?
+ He was originally going to be in Smash 64, but was cut due to a lack of budget, he was in Melee, and data of him exists on the Brawl disc.
+ I don't think he has anything going against him...
-- ...aside from a personal hunch of mine. Part of me is certain he'll return, but that other 20% of me thinks that Sora/Namco Bandai will just add Jigglypuff and call it a day.

Want: 65%

I'm not the biggest fan of Melee's Mewtwo out there (before you ask, I have not played Project M), but I'm sure he can have a better moveset. Plus, he's important to the Pokemon universe.

Predictions:

Pac-Man: 80%
Mii: 65%

Last edited by a moderator:

Xenigma

Smash Lord
NNID
Xenigma
Shulk - 35%
I've long been vocal on my opinion of Shulk's chances (see this long post from many rounds ago), and while I'm still of that opinion that they're not nearly as great as many others seem to think, I do think I've been overly harsh in the past and am raising my rating accordingly. He has plenty of potential to be a great Smash character, and he's got notable popularity in Japan in particular, but he suffers from being from only one moderately successful game and faces significant competition from Isaac in particular. To that end, I don't think he remotely warrants the 70%+ ratings he's prone to get these days, but yes, he's definitely a strong contender for SSB4 and we've seen nothing that really hurts his chances as of yet. (Also, for the record, I don't think Sal's latest leak has proven credible as of yet, so I don't think it should factor in at all in Shulk's chances.)
Want - 50% - My want scores have been all over the map on him, so this time I'll leave it dead in the middle. He could make for an extremely cool character, no doubt, but his inclusion would also likely mean Isaac is out, and that's a heartbreaker for me. I honestly have no idea how I'd feel should he become reality because it's so easy to see my reaction hitting either extreme.

Mewtwo - 50%
A 30% drop from my last rating, because after Greninja's surprise reveal and the way his trailer was presented, I find it difficult to believe Mewtwo is as certain as I originally thought. He's still a very strong contender considering he's a veteran and one of the most universally requested (if not the most requested) SSB4 characters around, but with four Pokemon confirmed in including a newcomer and three other Pokemon veterans vying for a returning spot, he's got a much rougher road to inclusion than I would have ever guessed. I'll keep his rating competitive since he still has so much going in his favor, but recent Smash news has not been kind to him in the slightest, and it could get a lot worse very quickly.
Want - 50% - Still not really a fan, still believe he's deserving regardless.

Toxicroaker

Smash Lord
3DS FC
4184-2367-6702
Shulk: 65% Let me just get this out. Before, I was VERY biased against him. I gave him a 35% and almost gave him a 20%. I do stand with my arguments. A casual gamer won't ever know anything about him. I don't consider myself a casual gamer (I also don't consider myself a pro gamer) but I had no idea about him until I came here. I only think that big fans of Nintendo will know of him. That said, he is EXTREMELY popular with Nintendo and smash fans. He is also extremely requested in Japan and is probably in the top 3. That is all I'm going to address as of now and I hope I can become less biased in the future.
Want: 0% Let's also get this straight. I HATE SHULK! He is my least wanted character (that has any chance at all) for smash. I would take a monoeye or wispy woods before I would take him. If I had knowledge of the smash roster and he was in it while Mewtwo and Bandana Dee weren't I would rather remove Shulk than add Mewtwo and Bandana Dee. I hate him THAT much.

Mewtwo: 75% I know I will probably be bashed because of this, but I don't think Mewtwo has as good of a chance after the direct. In order for him to make it in, I believe there would have to be a Mario newcomer also. However, I believe that may actually happen. That is why I gave him a 75%
Want: 100% He is my second most wanted newcomer and my favorite pokemon in general.

Mii: 53.12%
Pac-Man: 84.32%

Last edited:

Starbound

Worlds Apart, But Still Together.
Shulk: 100% Chance / 90% Want
Being in the Gematsu leak is a huge plus for him right now as it pretty much confirms him. I really want him in because of the Xenoblade OST that will inevitably come with it.

Mewtwo: 100% Chance / 100% Want
Cutting Squirtle and Ivysaur is a huge boon for Mewtwo, as it lets him fit in the 6 Pokemon slots of the Brawl roster without worrying about possible overcrowdedness (which is dumb to begin with but I digress).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom