• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Rate Their Chances Returns! Day 194: "Predicting the Direct"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Groose

Smash Champion
The only issue I would take up with the troll characters not being allowed, is that I feel fairly confident saying the Wii Fit Trainer would have been considered a troll character.

Maybe instead of doing one troll character a day, group them together in one day? Then if by some chance they do make it into the game, at least we can say we rated them.

I really don't have a problem rating them myself. But I just received way too many complaints on Sandbag's day and three more of them were flying up the nominations list.

In about two weeks or so, after we've finished the majority of veterans/newcomers with a fanbase, I'll open up the nominations to all characters again. That way, we can all have our fun.

The reason I waited a few days after Sandbag to make the ban is that I knew it would cause controversy like this, but I still think the majority wants to get the "important" characters out of the way with first.

Groose

Smash Champion
The nominations. Ugh. The nominations.
I don't want to restrict perfectly good characters. But I don't want us to spend even more days giving characters scores below a percent of chance.​
I don't really have a set rule for what character is a waste of a day and what isn't. For the most part, just use your common sense. But I've tried to come with a few criteria just to help you along.​
<-------This is how I'm feeling about the noms right now.​
So please, I ask of you. Rate characters that fulfill at least the majority of the following criteria:​
1) They generally interest you. You're not exactly certain how well they'll do, and you'd like to find out.
2) They have a chance of doing well. You think they can muster at least at least a 5%. This applies less to third-party characters, but still keep it in mind.
3) The character isn't obscure. Please, let's not have another day where everyone says, and I quote, "Who's that? Both 0's."
4) The character isn't random. Don't just pluck a random, though well known, character out of nowhere. Examples are Omastar and The Postman (Zelda).
5) The character is actually capable of fighting. They don't have to be a "fighter," per se, but arms and legs are definitely a plus, you know?
6) Don't nominate a character just to try to spite me or the other people playing the game. Seriously, this may result in penalties if it starts happening.
Give it two or three weeks. Once more potential characters have been voted upon, I will reopen nominations on "less likely characters." In other words, I will remove the above criteria.​
Thanks for sticking with me. I'm trying to make the game as enjoyable for everyone as it can be. I had over a dozen complaints about Sandbag; people don't enjoy rating random and obscure characters. I know you like nominating whoever you want, so that will be the case once we've gotten farther along in the game.​

Groose: Just noticed, there really should just be a link to this for Toon Link: Wind Waker Symphonic Movement
SSBF did the music section for Toon Link. Don't worry though; it's a good suggestion and I've added it! I should know it's a good suggestion; I just saw it in concert for the second time last week :p

Now, I have a question about the nominations. Being as I'm a forum noob, I'm not entirely sure how it works. Is there a finite pool of people we can select from to nominate, such as the list on the first page? Or could I nominate just some new character not listed on the front page?
Technically you can nominate anyone. However, recently we've had a few characters that have irked the community... so don't nominate anyone who's obscure or who doesn't have a chance in hell. You may want to check out the above criteria, which will soon be added to the nominations page.

DAY OVER
RETURN OF GROOSE

Groose

Smash Champion
Waluigi (Super Mario)
24.72% chance
35.02% want

Waluigi Time ends in failure. He lost to Toad, Paper Mario, AND Bowser Junior in terms of chance. Furthermore, despite coming very close to Toad's score, he was behind all three again in terms of want. Oh well.

Today we're having a special treat and rating TWO characters. The first character today is Kanto Pokemon Trainer Red, a veteran. Please leave your chance and want on Kanto Pokemon Trainer Red.

Furthermore, we will also be rating "New" Pokemon Trainer---a trainer that is any one other than Kanto Pokemon Trainer Red. He/She can be from Hoenn, Unova, Kalos, etc. Please also leave your chance and want on "New" Pokemon Trainer today.

Finally, you may wish to predict Geno's score for tomorrow. Doing so can earn you extra nominations. Erimir, Xenigma, and Spacegel0 all win five extra nominations today for predicting Waluigi's score.

P.S.: The character that has been added to the Renomination list today is Isaac, who joins Palutena and Ridley. Renomination characters will be rated alongside of a newcomer on the day they hit 100 Nominations.

P.P.S. I've placed some guidelines on who to nominate at the top of the nominations page. Check it out if you're uncertain, and, if all else fails, just rate a well-known character or a veteran.

P.P.P.S I'm working on the music section for Pokemon Trainer now. It's going to be pretty damn great when I'm finished, so I suggest all of you Pokemon Fans check it out in a little while.

P.P.P.P.S Oh, I forgot to thank Paulkagebein for the suggestion of doing two Pokemon Trainers in the same day.

Sabrewulf238

Smash Hero
Pokemon Trainer Kanto prediction - 40%

Pokemon Trainer Other prediction - 60%

I feel like Sakurai might want to shake up the Pokemon Trainer, after all the Pokemon Trainer is one of the few characters who can change drastically and technically still be the same character. (Pokemon Trainer) There's still a decent chance it'll stay as the Kanto trainer though.

Pokemon Trainer Kanto want - 75%

Pokemon Trainer Other want - 85%

I'll be happy with either really, it's an interesting character. Although I want a new region trainer slightly more.

Geno prediction - 10%

I think it'll be 10% overall, loads of less than 5% predictions but probably a couple highish ones (40-50%) to bring it up to about 10%.

Nominations:

Chibi Robo X2
Isaac X2
Robin X2

edit: Forgot to include my want percentages.

Al-kīmiyā'

Smash the State
Red chance=25%

Other chance=75%

Red want=10%

Other want=0%

I don't like characters that switch like that. Give me one good character instead of three ****ty ones.

Geno prediction=20%

Nomination=5xVaati

shinhed-echi

Smash Hero
NNID
punchtropics
3DS FC
5301-0890-0238
Ok let's see.

Kanto Trainer (RED)

Chance: 85%
°He is by far the most important trainer. No other trainer has been as recurring as Red.

°He is also the "MARTH" to the Pokemon series. He kicked off the entire series as a game franchise.

°Ash Ketchum was based on this character, in retrospect, PT was given a very similar voice to Ash in Brawl.

°Red Pokemon Trainer also appears in the boxart for Brawl. No character appearing in the FRONT COVER of a SSB game has yet to leave.

°Red Pokemon Trainer played a pretty important (2nd tier) role on the SSE back in Brawl, so he was kind of one of the more pushed characters.

°Sakurai wants to try to AVOID cutting characters. So any change to Pokemon Trainer (Red) might upset a lot of fans. Remember this is like a 4-Character team. Changing one of them will upset many people. Changing ALL of them would be chaos.

°The ammount of work that is having Pokemon Trainer is precisely the more reason why PT (Red) won't change. He'll be back just as he is, except probably tweaked here and there.

Want: 100%
My mot wanted Veteran character.
When the whole Brawl roster was sucking real hard for me... this guy showed up and completely tipped the scale the other way around.
I LOVE using multiple characters, but Zelda/Sheik wasn't exactly my cup of tea... THIS guy, however, using my favorite starters, won me over INSTANTLY.

----

New Trainer

Chance: 25%
Not outside the realm of possibility.... But the ammount of work to be put into a 2nd trainer would be enormous.
As a replacement it could be, but Sakurai doesn't think in "recency", otherwise we would've seen Alph replacing Olimar, or Ike replacing Marth in Brawl.
So I'm pretty confident New Trainer won't replace PT Red.
And like stated above, no trainer comes even close to the importance of PT Red.

As a clone? He's pretty unlikely too, as the whole point of clones is to be a quick roster-filler, and this would take time and effort.

Want: 20%
I MUCH prefer PT Red. I would only want a new trainer if PT Red doesn't make it in... And even THEN it would lose a LOT of charm, hence why 20%
The only "trainer" type character I wouldn't mind replacing Red would be Team Rocket, but that's very unlikely, lol.

---

Predictions for Geno: 5%
Square Enix is ridiculously overprotective of their characters. Just look at Crono. CT was collabed between staff of Square and Enix before they merged. Fast forward today, we still haven't seen him appear anywhere else, despite Square-Enix holding every bloody right to him, and all the personal staff related to him.

Aqua Rock X

Smash Ace
Drats! I came so close to a second win! :(

Pokemon Trainer

Chance: 75% - Sakurai doesn't like cuts and PT is an awesome idea that became popular.

Want: 95% - I don't like cuts either, and I thought he was a well-made character and a good idea overall having a 3 in 1 out of the Kanto starters.

New Pokemon Trainer

Chance: 25% - The feeling just creeped up on me as I started typing but what if Sakurai wants to "rep" Gen 6 with its starters?

Want: 5% - Not particularly interested. I'm good with the PT we have.

Geno Prediction: 15% - One of the fallen stars of the Smash 4 scene. There will be a few hopefuls who give him relatively high scores because one of Geno's themes is hope. :p

Nominations:
Lloyd Irving x5

Starcutter

Resident Beedrill
NNID
Legendofrob1
3DS FC
1908-0357-9077
Alright. Thanks Groose.

Pokemon trainer (red) 85%
Hoen with mudkip grovyle and blaziken 55%

want (same for both) 70%

geno: 11%

nominations
kamek x5

Smashoperatingbuddy123

Smash Legend
Ok 2 characters the pikmin trainer from brawl and a random gen one

Pikmin trainer/other gen

Likly hood 70%
He's one of those unique characters the first character to have 3 forms squirtle ivysaur charizard the only down fall different pokemon combinations people want blastoise instead of charizard and that 3 form character is too much

Want 90%
I really liked playing as charizard I wanted to play as charizard and the acceptional squirtle and ivysaur

Now for the random gen trainer

Likly hood 20%
Kanto trainer most likly to stay

Want 20%
Prefer play as kanto trainer

Likly hood 20%
I think we are going to be stuck with the first

Want 20%
I like the brawl one better

Bonus combinations for each gen below

Remember only my opinions on what the combinations will be

Kanto 70%
Exactly the same as in brawl

Gen 2 45%
Pokemon combination most likability
chikorita Quilava feraligatr

Gen 3 20%
Pokemon combination most likability
Mudkip combusken sceptile

Gen 4 23%
Pokemon combination likability
Chimchar grotle empoleon

Gen 5 35%
Pokemon combination likability
Snivy dewott emboar

Gen 6 40%
Pokemon combination likability (order goes left to right of form level)
Fennekin(1st form) chespin(2nd form) froakie (3rd form) no names of the other evolution forms for reminder

CalumG

Smash Lord
Pokemon Trainer

Chance: 100% - Say what you want about Pokemon Trainer, but let the facts be clear. Ash was based on Red. Charizard was one of the most-wanted playable Pokemon characters in the series, if polls are anything to go by. Not only that, Pokemon Trainer is the most recognizable of all the trainers in all the games, has the most recognizable three starters, and if we want to get technical, he's appeared in every generation of Pokemon. Between Red, Blue, Green, Yellow, FireRed and LeafGreen he's had the most playable appearances (more if you count the Pokemon Stadiums, where your avatar resembles Red heavily), and is the "original" Pokemon champion - to this day, his appearance on top of Mount Silver is the highest level NPC Pokemon battle in any main series Pokemon game, and his actions in Red/Blue/Yellow inspire nearly every event to take place in Gold/Silver/Crystal. Removing Red for some other trainer would be like removing Marth for some other Fire Emblem lord, or removing Solid Snake to put in Raiden. He may not be playable in every Pokemon game, but make no mistake that his legacy is greater and further-reaching than any other Pokemon trainer to currently appear in the canon series.

Want: 60% - I like his concept better than his execution, as it stands. Charizard has surprisingly poor aerial mobility, Ivysaur is a kind of jack-of-all-trades but definitely a master of none, and Squirtle is by far the best of the three, when they should all be somewhat even in ability (even if that is difficult to balance). Basically, I want Pokemon Trainer back, but unless all three of his Pokemon get some tweaks to make them better and more in-character, I doubt I'll play as him very much.

New Pokemon Trainer

Chance: 1% - I don't see them putting in two Pokemon Trainers, and as I've said above, it seems like a dead certainty at this point that Pokemon Trainer isn't changing, even if other people don't seem to see that.

Want: 10% - That being said, I would love a Johto Pokemon Trainer. It's not gonna happen but the Johto Pokemon are my favourites by a country mile, and I can't see people being all that receptive of another appearance from Pichu. :p

Geno Prediction: 30% - I see people rating Geno far higher than he deserves, just because... well, it's Geno. He may not be known the world over, but the fans he does have are incredibly passionate. We'll see, I suppose.

Nominations:
Impa x5

OcarinaOfDoom

Smash Lord
NNID
OcarinaOfDoom
Kanto Trainer: 95%
Other Trainer: 25%
Want: 45%
Geno: 7%
Nominate
Ridley x 3
Lucas x 2

MasterOfKnees

Space Pirate
NNID
KneeMaster
Switch FC
SW-6310-1174-0352
Pokémon Trainer:

Likelihood: 100% - I see no way this guy's getting cut. He isn't facing the same problem as Ice Climbers do with the 3DS' limitations, he is the single most unique character on the roster, he was a Brawl starter and was on the box art, and he has Charizard which is the single most beloved Pokémon of all-time, miles ahead of even Pikachu and Mewtwo.

Want: 100% - Well, duh, it's a fantastic concept and a fantastic character, I'd be very saddened to see him go.

New Pokémon Trainer:

Likelihood: 0% - Just gonna flat out say it, Sakurai loves having each character feel unique, and I don't see what a new Pokémon Trainer adds to the roster really. So looking from Sakurai's perspective, there's no reason to add a new one, especially since he also requires thrice the work. Plus, then there's also Mewtwo, Genesect and Zoroark which all are much more likely as new Pokémon characters.

Want: 30% - I'm a big Pokémon fan, so I'd love a Gen II trainer to represent Heart Gold and Soul Silver. However, I would kind of feel like a roster spot would have been taken for granted.

Geno Prediction: 12% - The creator of Super Mario RPG recently said that he has no plans on ever having the characters created for Super Mario RPG used anywhere else. Still, some people are probably gonna be naive.

Nominations:
5x Ganondorf, just gotta get this guy over with.

Erimir

Smash Lord
3DS FC
3823-8583-9137
Pokemon Trainers:

Popularity: Red is probably the most popular. The original Red/Green/Blue generation is still the best selling Pokemon generation.

Relevancy: While others are more recent, it's hard to deny that Red being from the originating game is less relevant. Especially considering that Charizard and friends still make appearances in later generations.

Design: Well, we know the original has a design. It could probably use some tweaks for balance and such tho. This is where a new Pokemon Trainer gets in trouble. The original was already a lot of work, making a new one makes it so that they can't even have any of their work from Brawl carry over. They can't take the models and spruce them up and they have to come up with all new move sets.

It would also be nice if they made the Trainer female or had a female swap or something like that (much easier than other cases like that, since the trainer doesn't do much).

Roster and Competition: Well, as I mentioned before, Pokemon is likely to get another slot (Mewtwo most likely imo) and not very likely to get two more slots. But they might get two newcomers. Then the question would be whether a 2nd newcomer would be a new Pokemon Trainer or Zoroark or what. I find it very, very unlikely that there'd be two Pokemon Trainers in the game.

Sakurai and development: Sakurai said he's not planning on cutting anyone. Replacing Red with a different Pokemon Trainer is the kind of thing that would require planning, since I doubt he'd put two of them in the game. So I read his statements as strongly suggesting against a new Pokemon Trainer.

The other issue is development time. Pokemon Trainer being essentially 3 characters' worth of work but only taking one slot would be the juiciest target to cut if time constraints became an issue and he wasn't finished. A new Pokemon Trainer would be even worse on that count. This is the thing that could make PT get cut, I think.

Pokemon Trainer Red chances: 90.16%
My thinking is that there's a 92% chance a Pokemon Trainer comes back (better than Lucario since he has more to offer and is less flavor-of-the-week, but not better than Jigglypuff because he is much harder to implement), and a 98% chance that that Trainer is Red.

New Pokemon Trainer: 1.84%

Red want: 62%
He's alright. And I like the 1st Gen Pokemon better.

New Pokemon Trainer want: 42%
Wouldn't be awful, but I don't really want them to replace Red.

Geno prediction: 4%
I don't think people think he's very likely. I'm being generous here because he'll have some supporters.

Nominations:
Simon Belmont x5

And extra nominations!

Simon Belmont x5

MargnetMan23

Smash Lord
Pokemon Trainer Kanto 90% He's not getting replaced by Hoenn starters or whatever even if I DO think that would be the best way to go it's just happening >.> Otherwise there's very little reason for him to be knocked off the roster like him or hate him
New Trainer: 7% Seriously, Unless by some chance we get a 6th gen trainer this just isn't happening :/

Want:
Kanto: 20% Kanto starters are one of my least favorite sets of the bunch but he's fun to play as in Brawl and I'd rather have Kanto trainer to no trainer
New Trainer: 90% Even if it's ****ing Johto starters OHMYGODYES

Geno prediction 22.21% *shrugs*

Nomz: Mr. Game and Watch x5

NickerBocker

Smash Lord
3DS FC
2492-4251-5054
Chance
Red: 80%
New: 15%

At this point, there are no cuts, but there will most likely be a few. Red is essentially 3 characters and as a result will take more time to program and design, not to mention balance. Cutting him will yield the largest development time.

Want
Red: 60%
New: 75%
I kind of want a fresh set of pokemon more than I want the starters from gen 1. There is so much opportunity to bring in the favorite starters from other generations. Pokemon like totodile, blaziken, even gen 6 like froaky could be added to the new trainer. My ideal pokemon roster is Pikachu, Jiggs, pkmn trainer all repping gen 1, newtwo repping gen 6, then lucario at gen 4. The new pkmn trainer will fill in the blanks. Its alot of characters, but there are TONS of pokemon to choose from and design.

Geno: 25.5%
There will be people disillusioned by this character, thinking hes more significant than he really is. There will be a majority shooting him down.

Noms
Rayman x5

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
Pokemon Trainer(s) time!

Brawl Pokemon Trainer
Want: 100% I don't like cuts.
Likelihood: 95% So far, a starter character's never been cut, and the Trainer is extremely iconic.

New Pokemon Trainer:
Want:10% Just give me the one we already have.
Likelihood: 5% Either way I think we're getting a trainer, so this fills the other 5%.

Predicting an 18% for Geno, because hopefully people have wizened up.

Nominating Starfy x5

ToothiestAura

Smash Champion
3DS FC
4527-8092-0589
Kanto Pokemon Trainer:

Chances: 98%
They wouldn't take out PT. He's to unique of a character and one of the more fun characters in Brawl. He would only be cut due to time, because let's face it he's got the most animations and what not.

I absolutely want him back. First Generation was the best generation. It's only fitting it gets so many reps.

New Pokemon Trainer:

Chances: 11%
I feel it isn't highly likely that a new Trainer would be introduced, simply because of how much work went into PT. It would be another 3 characters and that is a little much.

Want: 67%
I wouldn't want to destroy PT's uniqueness, but I would love some Johto Reps. Johto's the second best generation (and it had the best games in my opinion) so I think it deserves some love. But I think it's more likely a single Johto Pokemon would playable - and that isn't very likely either.

Cheezey Bites

Slime Knight
NNID
koske1
3DS FC
4356-0097-9129
Okay, long posts today...

Red:
Chance: 95%
He's hard work, but he's so important to the series! He has been in EVERY pokemon generation so far (playable, super boss, playable, super boss, world championship battle), he has the most iconic starter sets, and he's got a great gimmick with his switches (even if Ivysaur needs more statuses and distancing tools). He was on the box art, he was one of the coolest things about SSE, and he holds his place as an all star. The only reason he'll be dropped is time, and if he is he'll be DLC, 99.99% certain.

I loved the gimmick, and have proposed fixes to the type effectiveness system and Ivysaur in a few pokémon topics o these boards; I want to see them balanced, and I want to play them again.
I'd also love if you could play a female pokémon trainer if you chose to; that's be bad-ass.

New:
Chance: 12%
Hurts to say as I have her in my signature, but she is pretty certainly not going to be in the initial release of the game. HOWEVER! I can see it happening as a DLC character, especially if a R/S remake is made, to tie in with the game's release. Now, there'll be arguments about who the Mon's would be, but I suggest Torchic (floaty, multi-jump), Marshtomp (heavy) Sceptile (fast) for the variety of characters. If, if, if, IF a R/S remake comes out I give it a 40% chance of DLC character. Other gens have chances too, but only small chances imho.

Want: 75%
I feel Torchic/Marshtomp/Sceptile to be the best in gameplay ideas, but I fear Mudkip/Grovyle/Blaziken will get it, giving 2 fast characters and a useless Mudkip.. I don't want that, and it's enough that I can't want a new pokémon trainer fully; but I do want TMS hoenn trainer enough to try and main Torchic.

Geno: 6.66%
If he gets more than 15% my faith in this board will be hit hard; he's had one game, as a none main, years ago, in a franchise that could do better. I used to like Geno, but all the calls for him in smash have made one of my most despised characters.

NOMINATIONS!
Slime*5 (Goo-d luck reading all these long posts Gr-ooze)

*double pun dance*

D

Deleted member

Pokemon Trainer Red
Chances: 95%
Red is by far one of the most important trainers in Pokemon history. In fact, he has appeared in every Generation thus far. Red is the trainer that pretty much started a whole line of trainers in the series that he has established himself as an All-Star. Not only that, but the Pokemon he uses are also pretty popular (such as Charizard) which does help him in his favor. Overall, I think that Red is here to stay and Sakurai does like him and going as far as to giving him a big role in the Subspace Emissary and putting him on Brawl's boxart.
Want: 80%
I like Red and I do hope to see him return. Heh, it would be awesome if Blue can be an alternate costume much like Wario has his WarioWare and overalls outfits.
New Pokemon Trainer
Chances: 5%
Red hurts any other trainers chances due to his popularity. I believe that there will be only one Pokemon Trainer as opposed to two. That and having two trainers does take away Red's uniqueness.
I would like to have other Generations of Pokemon to use at my command but I rather have Red.

I am 100% certain that there will be a Pokemon Trainer in SSB4, but Red is the more likely of the two. I just hope that the stupid stamina gimmick gets taken out...

Geno Prediction: 10.2%
I'm not very confident that he will get tons of high scores.

Nominations: Ganondorf 5x

Smell ya later!

DukeofShorts

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Braedenthegreat
Kanto trainer chances:85% really good possibility based on how excited people were when he was first announced.

Kanto trainer want: 100% my copy of Brawl was scratched up and it stopped letting me use him(and Ice Climbers) so I would be very happy to be able to use them again.

New trainer chances: 15% I don't see the developers wanting to program three new playable characters from scratch when it isn't really necessary.

New traner want: 2% I really like the three Pokémon we already have.

Geno prediction: 27% I've seen a lot of people wanting him, but I think people will realize that he is owned by Square Enix and won't get to be in the game.

Anthony Higgs x5

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
Just a random tip, Groose.

Sukapon is from Joy Mech Fight, Muddy Mole is from Mole Mania, and Dr. Lobe is from Big Brain Academy. Just thought I'd help you out with that nomination list. ;)

Oracle_Summon

Smash Hero
King K. Rool:
Chance: 55%

Even though he is the main villain, not including the most recognized, in the Donkey Kong Country franchise, I would say his chances are not that likely.
Why? Because, Team Retro seems to not want anything to do with King K. Rool and would rather have one of their characters represented as contribution to their hard work on the new DKC games.
Sadly, the main reason his listing is low is because, Sakurai might think the same about the Donkey Kong Series as he does about the Mario series, too many reps as it is. (Hopefully I am wrong though).
If what Sakurai says is true about their time limit, then we may just get existing IPs are first priority.

Want: 85%
Even though King K. Rool was the first Final Video Game Boss that I have defeated, my hopes are not too high at the risk of my very large fall.

tl;dr

Overall, I think Sakurai's thought process when adding characters is all about representing existing IPs rather than expanding on a series that is arlready represented.

Groose

Smash Champion
Just a random tip, Groose.

Sukapon is from Joy Mech Fight, Muddy Mole is from Mole Mania, and Dr. Lobe is from Big Brain Academy. Just thought I'd help you out with that nomination list. ;)

I'm familiar with Sukapon and Muddy Mole; I just didn't know what game they originated from. Dr. Lobe is that dude, eh? I know the face, but I never knew the name.

I appreciate the help. I'll update it the next time I get to a PC.

King K. Rool
As much as I love your enthusiasm to our good King, today is reserved for Pokemon Trainers. We only rate one character a day, and we average the scores of everyone up here. :p

Mr. Mumbles

Smash Ace
Pokemon Trainer Old:
Chances: 80% I daresay every vet has a chance of at least 80%. However there again he is one of the one's who seems most likely to be on the chopping block. Mostly because he just didn't prove to be worth the amount of effort he required.

Want: 55% He was okay... I wasn't exactly a fan though. And I don't feel like he was that worthy of a spot.

Pokemon Trainer New:
Chances: 5% It's only happening if he replaces the old one, and I doubt that will happen. Replacing the three classic starters with starters that people aren't as familiar with just doesn't make much sense.

Want: 65% I'm not a huge fan of the Pokemon Trainer concept to begin with, but having new Pokemon would at least make him interesting for a little while.

Geno Prediction: 10% He's popular, but he's third Party and was only in one game.

XenothiumX

Smash Journeyman
Kanto Pokemon Trainer
Likelihood: 85%
It's tough since techincally it's three characters in one, but I think he'll be back
Brilliant idea on Sakurai's part! He expresses what Pokemon is all about!

New Pokemon Trainer
Likelihood: 5%
coming up with three new characters to replace the three previous ones they worked so hard on doesn't seem likely.
I would love to see the Hoenn trainer using Mudkip, Grovyle, and Blazikin!

Geno Prediction: 7.5%

Nominations:
Saki x5

Starbound

Worlds Apart, But Still Together.
PT's chances: 95%
Only gets cut if problems implementing him are a problem

Want: 90%
Really unique of a fighter

Other PT chances: 0%
Takes away from PT's uniqueness

Want: 0%
See above

Nomz: Palutena x5

sunfallSeraph

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
5155-4095-3556
Kanto Trainer Likelihood: 50% I'm really on the fence about his chances. As someone who works in software development, I have to think that the devs are gonna think particularly critically about this guy and his worth to Smash before they sink an absurdly inflated amount of time into him for one slot on a very competitive roster. This concern is compounded by the 3DS limitations that they already mentioned they were struggling with, in addition to the problems he presents in relation to the competitive scene and overall game balance. Purely from the developer's standpoint, I think it's gonna look pretty tempting to cut him in favor of a more mechanically sound Pokemon newcomer.
Want: 0% I probably don't feel quite as harshly towards any other Brawl newcomer (except maybe Wolf) as I do towards this guy. While I think that the idea was -fantastic- and that he's utterly unique and fun to play as, I just can't justify the time spent on him in my own mind. I'd rather see pretty much any popular Pokemon newcomer instead of the Kanto Trainer. I motion to appreciate what he brought to the table in Brawl and to let his legacy stay there so that the Smash 4 roster has a chance to breathe and pursue some other cool concepts.

Etc. Trainer Likelihood: 5% It's strictly possible, but I can't personally imagine that Sakurai would not only opt to bring back a trainer but also to come up with the assets for three entirely new Pokemon while they were at it.
Want: 0% For the same reasons as Red except more vehement.

Geno Prediction: 7%

Noms: Zoroark x5

FalKoopa

Rainbow Waifu
BRoomer
3DS FC
1650-3685-3998
Switch FC
SW-5545-7990-4793
Red's chances: 90%
He's very likely to stay. He was a popular addition in Brawl and not much has changed.

I like playing as Squirtle, and No cuts!

Other PTs' chances: 11%
I'm VERY doubtful they would add another PT, who would rob the original one of his uniqueness. A replacing of his pokémon also looks unlikely, as the Gen I starters are the most popular.

Want: 90%
I'd love multiple PT's to be in the game. I cut 10% from my want score because I won't appreciate it if they add him as a replacement.

Geno prediction: 5%

Nominations: Ganondorf x 5

Ephecus

Smash Apprentice
Pokémon Trainer Red

Chance: 85 %
I think that PKMN-Trainer will be cut, or at least be altered in some form rather than Lucario being cut (resourcewise).However he IS a veteran.

Want: 30 %
My least favorite addition to Brawl. I found his concept unique and actually wanted to main him, however:
- I don't really like the moveset of Charizard and Squirtle
- The stamina system is pretty dumb
- I don't like the selection of his PKMN (I know that they are one of the most popular though)

Pokémon Trainer New

Chance: 2 %
His only chance is Red not being in SSB4 and even then Sakurai explicitly said there won't be many newcomers this time around. Having to do 4 character movesets would conflict his statement.

Want: 50 %
Eh. After Red I'm not really that enthusiastic about the Trainer-concept, but if the movesets turn out to be nice they could potentially be a good addition. Also +5 % if there are multiple trainers (female/male/different regions) however -5% if the Trainer isn't from Johto.

Geno Prediction: 7 %
Personally I don't think he has more chance than Owain.

Nominations:
4x R.O.B (Soon...)
1x Medusa

jaytalks

Smash Champion
NNID
jaytalks
Pokemon Trainer:
Likelihood: 90%. Such a unique gameplay mechanic, I really can't see them taking the character out of the game, as the character represents the interaction between humans and pokemon.
Want: 100%. Pokemon Trainer is my other main in Brawl, so I would like the character to stay. And squirtle is one of my favorite Pokemon.

New Pokemon trainer:
Chances 15%: I don't think that Sakurai cares about generations, but the pokemon company probably does to some extent. That said, I think the Pokemon Trainer represents something bigger than Red (the first protagonist in Pokemon), hence the name being Pokemon Trainer and not Red. However, due to development time I can only see them getting in if they replace the current one, hence the low chances.
Want: 100% I love Oshawott. That is all.

Geno: 19.23%

Nominations: Zoroark x 5

Forde

Smash Cadet
Pokemon Trainer
Chance: 80%
After his inclusion, I really don't see him getting cut. He was an extremely unique character, and I wouldn't mind him coming back in the slightest.

Want: 80%
Never really played him all that much, but when I did, it was fun. I hated the stamina system though, felt that it was overall something that shouldn't have been in the game.

New Pokemon Trainer

Chance: 15%
I highly doubt seeing two pokemon trainers in the game. But, as we've seen with WFT, Sakurai could easily surprise us.

Sure, it would be cool to see some of the new pokemon, but the majority of it would have the same mechanics of Red. Three pokemon, stamina system, even if the movesets for the pokemon are entirely different.

Nominations:
5x Cloud Strife

Al-kīmiyā'

Smash the State
That said, I think the Pokemon Trainer represents something bigger than Red (the first protagonist in Pokemon), hence the name being Pokemon Trainer and not Red.
I think that's more because everyone has heard of Pokemon, but only people who play Pokemon know/care who Red is. I mean, you even described who he was in parentheses.

Hippopotasauce

Smash Lord
NNID
Hippopotasauce
Red -
Likelihood: 87%
Want: 70%

Other -
Likelihood: 20%
Want: 0%

Geno: 21%

Karate Joe x5

CalumG

Smash Lord
I always assumed Pokemon Trainer wasn't called Red just because Sakurai doesn't know jack-squat about Pokemon. Saffron City barely looked like Saffron City, Spear Pillar barely looked like Spear Pillar, and Pokemon Stadium/Pokemon Stadium II/Poke-Floats seemed like Sakurai's way of winging it and making Pokemon stages without actually having to research real existing Pokemon locations. Lucario's aura mechanic seemed like it had been made up on the spot and Lucario's playstyle seemed contradictory to his type and his movepool. I could go into numerous other examples but it's always seemed to me like Sakurai has never actually played a Pokemon game in his life, and just includes what the Pokemon Company think it's a good idea to include.

shinhed-echi

Smash Hero
NNID
punchtropics
3DS FC
5301-0890-0238
I always assumed Pokemon Trainer wasn't called Red just because Sakurai doesn't know jack-squat about Pokemon. Saffron City barely looked like Saffron City, Spear Pillar barely looked like Spear Pillar, and Pokemon Stadium/Pokemon Stadium II/Poke-Floats seemed like Sakurai's way of winging it and making Pokemon stages without actually having to research real existing Pokemon locations. Lucario's aura mechanic seemed like it had been made up on the spot and Lucario's playstyle seemed contradictory to his type and his movepool. I could go into numerous other examples but it's always seemed to me like Sakurai has never actually played a Pokemon game in his life, and just includes what the Pokemon Company think it's a good idea to include.

Not so sure on Saffron City.
We didn't have a lot to go on back in the SSB64 days, only the 8-bit sprites from the Game Boy games, and the Saffron City anime episodes.

Still... it had Silph.Co, and Porygon came out of it (where it was developed). The Pidgeys flying around, representing the Girl who gets letters via FLY move.

I think it was pretty spot on. But the rest, I agree.

Sid-cada

Smash Lord
Gen. I Trainer

Chance - 96% - A little worried that time constraints may force him to be cut, but I'm fairly certain he will return. There is little reason otherwise not to.

Want - 100% - Again, such a unique character should not be cut.

Other Trainers - 1% - Unless there is something being forced down Sakurai's throat, there is not much chance of them making it in, as it probably takes less effort to reinvent the wheel that starting from scratch.

Want - 30% - Meh. Never cared for generational representation so long as something new gets tossed in every once in a while (probably one single generation every other game seems about right to me). I'd rather not have him/her replace the current trainer as well.

Edit: Shouldn't have been rushing...

Geno Prediction - 7% - I think even his fans know he does not stand that great of a chance.

Nominations -
ROB X3
Anna X2

moneyfrenzy

Smash Ace
Pokemon trainer chance 50%
Want 20%

New pokemon trainer 30%:

Want 50%: would be a 20 percent, but if it was a hoenn trainer then that raises it up

Geno: 13%
Nominations:
Bomberman x5

MasterOfKnees

Space Pirate
NNID
KneeMaster
Switch FC
SW-6310-1174-0352
That's not unique to Pokémon though, some locations that end up being stages don't really get a treatment that makes them represent the location very well. Take Fourside for example, while we have the Helicopter and the Monotoli building nothing else really hails from Fourside, it's just a random big city at night, which is also very odd since you never see Fourside at night in the games, Moonside would be the closest to that. The UFO is very random too, since it only actually appears in the game's opening title card. Then there's some kind of construction going on, and Fourside is never under construction in Earthbound, so I don't know where they got that from.

Then take Brinstar too, this one was really messed up. The platform you fight on doesn't have the tiles of colors of Brinstar at all, Brinstar has had blue, green and red tiles, but never mucky barf colored tiles. Then there's the acid, which was only present in the original Metroid and wasn't present at all in Super Metroid, and it wasn't a very frequent sight in the original Metroid to see acid in Brinstar either. And then there's of course the brain thing in the background, which never appears in a single Metroid game. The only brain ever present in the Metroid games is Mother Brain, and that thing in the background of the stage sure isn't Mother Brain. I guess you could consider the Aurora Units brains too, but they debuted in Metroid Prime 3 and have never been on Zebes either. The Brinstar stage is a disgrace to the actual location if you ask me, because there's nigh to nothing unique to Brinstar that is in that stage. The only thing that actually makes Norfair acceptable in Brawl is the background of the stage which is obviously inspired by Norfair, but I'm kind of ticked off at the actual platforms you fight on, since Norfair doesn't really have metal anywhere other than the way to the Ice Beam in Super Metroid.

Of course locations have to be altered to fit properly in a fighting game, I think they transitioned Spear Pillar and Saffron City well in that regard, but when there's little or absolutely nothing that points toward the stage actually being based off of the proposed location, like with Fourside and Brinstar, then it's just plain annoying. I understand that they can't pack every stage with references like with New Pork City and Halberd, but instead of adding a random brain they could at least add something that makes sense instead. For the most part I think Sakurai does it well, but sometimes... ugh...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom