• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Rate Their Chances: GAME OVER! Join the RTC Social Group Today!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pacack

Super Pac-Fan
NNID
Pacack
3DS FC
0688-5284-6845
Lor Starcutter:

Chance: 13%
Possible, but I'm hesitant to call any stage "likely".

Want: 30%
It's okay, but there are better options.

Two Retros:

Chance: .75%
Nope. I think we're getting Takamaru and that's it.

Want: 75%
I'd be happy because it'd mean Takamaru. I'd be confused because it would also mean someone else.

Predictions:
Masked Dedede: 37.5%
Flynn: .04% (Jack Frost is so much more likely, and he's one of the most unlikely characters, since he's the mascot of a company that was bought by SEGA.)

Nominations: Eirika x5

Last edited:

Hippopotasauce

Smash Lord
NNID
Hippopotasauce
Lor Starcutter Likelihood: 25%
Want: 50%

Two Retros Likelihood: 5%
Want: 55%

Rhythm Rep (Not Chorus Kids) x15

Last edited:

FalKoopa

Rainbow Waifu
BRoomer
3DS FC
1650-3685-3998
Switch FC
SW-5545-7990-4793
...cue the inevitable Yarne/Owain tag-team rerate...
Don't. Give. Them. Ideas. (>_>)

Now on to the ratings~
Lor Starcutter: 60%
I'll give it a decent chance as it the most recognizable element from Kirby's Return to Dreamland, being the driver or the plot and later a spectacular space-invaders styled boss. There is plenty to work with for making a stage.

Want: 100%
Hell yes. For the aforementioned reasons, and that amazing music.

Two Retro Newcomers: 0%
Doesn't seem likely given how things are going on. Takamaru seems the only viable retro, and it's not going well for him.

Depends on the characters, really. Retro characters don't really interest me, except Lip.

Lana x 5

Last edited:

Chandeelure

Bandana Brigade Captain
-Lor Starcutter:
Chances: 20%
Want: 70%

I actually think that the Lor Starcutter will be in the background of the Kirby stage.

-Two Retros:
Chances: 0%
Want: 0%

-Nominations: C-R-O-W-N-E-D X5

Last edited:

Rockaphin

Smash Champion
NNID
Rockaphin
3DS FC
2595-0113-8473
Lor Starcutter:
Abstain

Two Retros:
Chance: 25%

All I want from a retro series is Mach Rider.

Glaciacott

Smash Lord
Brawler610 pretty much took all my words and gave the scores I expected to give too ...

Lor Starcutter
Chance - 5%
We already have one Kirby stage on the Wii U that's a ship, and the 3DS wouldn't get a Return to Dreamland stage, I imagine. I don't see it as likely as I may have in the past.

Want - 50%
Indifference, although I do like the ideas of some people of having Magolor be a boss battle. It would also be interesting if it happened on the inside of the ship, but it would lack the charm of other more beautiful Kirby areas.

Two Retros
Chance -1%
We don't even have one at this point. Not in the roster, and not in the leak. Since my belief right now is that it's likely the leak gives us the last, non-DLC newcomers, I have to rank this really really low.
Yes, there's a fair chance we get one retro (Takamaru probably) but more than that at this point, in the starting roster, is much too optimistic

Want - 0%
One retro will be enough, and I feel like the roster represents more new franchises and new characters from old franchises for us to expect a lot of old school stuff. Add to that the fact that he's going retro in depictions of Pac-Man and Little Mac, so really, more than one retro would just detract from other better additions.

Predictions
Masked Dedede alt. - 26%
Don't know what people will go for in this.
Flynn - 0.7%
Who?

Nominations
x5 Unrevealed veterans as unlockables

WeirdChillFever

Smash Hero
Kill it with Spyro:
Chances: 17%: Likely, but still a stage, so I don't rate it too high.
Want: 100%: Favorite stage from my favorite game to play with my best friend.

The Samurai and another guy:
Chances 0.2%: Unless we get Takamaru and Excitebiker (or other Retros, but I see these as the "'most likely) after Gematsu, I don't see this happening.
Want: 10% Ehh, gimme Ridley/K. Rool/Dixie/Mewtwo/Bandanna Dee etc. instead of Takamaru pls. (Although I would like Excitebiker)
But it would means theres more than Gematsu so at least that's something.

Noms: Mega Mewtwo Y standalone 5x

EDIT: Predictions:

Masked Mansonn DeDeDe: 13%
I can see zeroes and 30% so I dunno

Flynn: 0.9%
Yeah, it will get zeroes, but I'm ranking somewhat higher, since I can see 1% and 2% too.

Last edited:

Burigu

Smash Ace
Lor Starcutter
Chance: 15% Honestly I fail to see how we can realistically predict stages, things with them are so subjective to be funny, there are lots of variants and factors that for some of us might make something "stage worthy" but for others or even Sakurai, not that appealing, considering we already have the Halbert confirmed, I don't think another ship from the same series stand a chance, it's really evident that Sakurai favored his master piece in the Kirby series (Kirby Super Star) in Brawl with the Halbert,most of the music Knucle Joe assits trophy and in general Kirby's moveset not getting influenciated with post Sakurai abilities so I am unsure if this time around it will be different. So far only his final smash draw inspiration from a more recent game

In the end like with Fountain of Dreams and Pirate Ship it all get reduced to what Sakurai wants in the game

Want: 1% One giant flying ship, from the series is good enough (and more badass) so I don't really want or need another

Retro rep
Well I am not sure why DK and Diddy are not considered Retro reps, yeah they are not created by them but so far they have manage the franchise really well, even Samus can be considered from them as the Prime subseries was very successful.................. Oh we are not talking about the company then..... my bad

Keeping bad jokes aside
Chance: 1% Mmmm basically the leak hurt these the most, for the purposes of this rating Little Mac or PacMan are not considered retro, I kind of agree since both have "recent" games, but for Sakurai they might be good enough since their most recent game don't make the "splash" of their older games, so we have to wait and see. About Takamaru I am really exceptical about he really standing a chance, he might be liked around here, but to be honest, is a rather obscure character for the mayority, even if he got references in recent games it's likely most gamers don't get them because they don't know him.
Being the MOST likely retro isn't really giving you a good chance to begin with.

Want: 12% I am not sure about this on one hand retros in the past have being really cool additions opening my eyes to some franchises from the past I barely knew about, and even giving Kid Icarus a second chance to shine, so it all depends on how this retro character is treated. On the other hand I can't really think of a retro that really appeals me, there are tons of them so who knows?

Nominations:
Amazon Pandora x 5

Last edited:

Sid-cada

Smash Lord
Lor Starcuter

Chance - 10% - Possible, but not quite likely. I have a distinct feeling that we will get either an Epic Yarn Stage or an actual level rather than the Lor Starcuter.

Want - 25% - Not really, no. I'd prefer an Epic Yarn Stage or Nutty Noon rather than a rehash of Corneria.

Two Retros

Chance - 0% - Y'know, I think we might already have them in Little Mac and Pac-Man. As we're not counting them...

Want - 40% - Assuming we are not talking about Little Mac and Pac-Man here, it all depends on who they pick. I'm docking a few points though, as I'm starting to worry over roster spots.

Nominations

Masked Dedede Final Smash X10

D

Deleted member

Lor Starcutter - Abstain

2 Retros

Chance: 5% - Probably only going to get 1 Retro character added, I can't see another one joining in.
Want: 30% - Heavily depends on who gets picked.

Nomination:

Protoman x2
Porky x2
6 Mario characters x1

Last edited by a moderator:

NonSpecificGuy

The Extraordinary is in What We Do
Super Moderator
Premium
Writing Team
NNID
Goldeneye2674
3DS FC
0989-1770-6584
Lord Sarcutter-abstain
2 Retros
Chance: 20%- this is very unlikely but there is the chance that Mike Jones would represent West and Takamaru represent East
Want: 100%- Mike Jones and Takamaru? Hell Yes.

Delzethin

Character Concept Creator
NNID
Delzethin
Lor Starcutter (Stage)
Chance:
-Main Stagelist: 20%
-Via DLC: Abstain

We haven't seen a single new Kirby stage yet, meaning the odds are pretty wide open...or are they? A couple previous posters noted that the Halberd is already confirmed to be returning in the Wii U version, meaning every Kirby stage in that version would be on an airship and wouldn't represent the series as a whole very well. The Starcutter wouldn't make any sense as the 3DS version's Kirby stage, since it hasn't shown up in a portable Kirby game.

Could it happen as a DLC stage? Maybe. I don't really know how willing they'd be to double up on stage types within a franchise, though, especially if we get a new Kirby stage that's already based on Return to Dream Land.

Want: 40%

I guess I'd be okay with it. I could even see it a neutral or counterpick if they don't try anything fancy, and more of those to balance the crazier stages would be nice.

...If you couldn't tell, I'm a lot more lax on stages than characters. >_> Might be because there're a lot of franchises that haven't had revealed stages yet.

Two Retro Newcomers
Chance:
-Main Roster: 5%
-Via DLC: 35% (38.25% chance combined)

(Decided to reverse what I was doing before and have the DLC part assume it didn't happen in the main game. It doesn't matter much, though, considering you're only taking the main game percentages anyway...right? :| )

There're only reasonably so many more roster spots, and the odds of two of them going to throwback characters we don't already know of is very low. If we get the 51-roster pretty much everyone's hoping for, I could see one coming out of nowhere a la G-Dub and R.O.B., but two is pushing it. Takamaru may have had a Nintendo World attraction and he may be a relatively popular pick, and Sakurai may reportedly be a Mach Rider fan, but the games are so far along that I don't see multiple retro characters getting in. Maybe one could get in as DLC...but it's more likely DLC characters would be more modern ones who just recently became relevant or just re-gained relevance (or they could half ass it and just bring back the old clones...hopefully not).

But all of this is assuming none of the newcomers we already have are throwbacks. I'm with the group that doesn't consider Little Mac a retro character any more, since his appearance and several moves were taken from the Punch-Out remake. Pac-Man, on the other hand, pulls from enough classic Namco games that he could be considered retro. And if someone like K. Rool made it in, whose high point was 15-20 years ago...

Want: 20%

Bringing back old characters can be interesting and all, and I've stopped doubting the developers' ability to pull interesting movesets from seemingly nowhere, but I don't think we need to do it for two of them this time around. There are so many other viable characters, and how fair would it be to give them less priority just because they aren't as old?

Predictions
Masked Dedede (Alternate Costume): 27.01%
Flynn: 3.74%

Nominations
Stage Music No Longer Limited to Stage's Franchise x5

Leafeon523

Smash Ace
NNID
Leafeon523
3DS FC
2466-1607-7000
Lor Starcutter:

Chance: 13%
Possible, but I'm hesitant to call any stage "likely".

It's okay, but there are better options.

Two Retros:

Chance: .75%
Nope. I think we're getting Takamaru and that's it.

I'd be happy because it'd mean Takamaru. I'd be confused because it would also mean someone else.
Wow. These scores are so darn similar as to what I was going to post. Just copy+paste these scores as my own.
Predictions:
Masked ddd: 27%
Flynn: 1.6%
Nominating Frederick AT x5

BluePikmin11

Akko is my dear daughter!
NNID
blue
Two Retro Newcomers Chance: 51% I think we're getting 2 more classic characters, slots are not a con to getting two of them. Takamaru is a sure bet and the other could be a historical character or a second revival character. I do not consider Pac-Man a retro, since third parties are a whole different criteria, I see this as a good possibility, but it's possible we will get just Takamaru.

TechPowah

Smash Ace
Switch FC
1951-3245-1423
New Stage Based Around the Lor Starcutter (Kirby)
Chance: 19% - Sorry Kirby fans, I don't really see this being a stage regardless of Halberd coming back. I don't doubt somewhere else from RTD, but Not the Starcutter.
Want: 12% - It's a cool area for Kirby, but comparatively would be meh in Smash Bros. Plus, i'd rather have a stage from Epic Yarn. (Not gonna be crazy and ask for yarnitized versions of everyone, but it would be great to flatten the characters to keep the 2Dness of that game.)

Two Newcomers From A Retro Series/Game
Chance: 0% - If we're aren't allowed to already consider Little Mac and Pac-Man this (No, one new game doesn't revoke your "retro card" if that latest game itself is 5 years old with a 15-year-and-2-gen gap between it and the last game), then probably not, though one more retro newcomer might not be so farfetched.
Want: 7% - Eh, i'm not particularly hurting for retro characters, though stages and music are always welcome. For the record, i'm one of the few that don't really want Takamaru. I'd rather have Mach Rider or Bubbles from Clu Clu Land.

Predictions:
Masked Dedede alt costume: 10% Chance, 23% Want
Flynn (Shin Megami Tensei) as a Playable Newcomer: 5% Chance, 12% Want

Nominations:
Interactive Eternal Darkness Representation x5

Last edited:

a Link to the Forums

Smash Journeyman
2 retros:
Chance: 5% (assuming none of the characters announced already aren't considered retro)
I've always been a bit sceptic about any more retro newcomers. Plain and simple.

Abstain for Lor Starcutter

Predictions:
Flynn - 1.6%
Masked DeDeDe alt - 10.245% (I don't even know)

Noms:
5 x DKC Tropical Freeze representation

Louie G.

Smash Hero
Lor Starcutter:

Chance: 20%

There are a lot of possible options for the inevitable Return to Dreamland stage, however I think that Lor Starcutter is one of the most likely options.

Want: 95%
Could be neat. I think Nutty Noon is the best option, though.

Two Retros:

Chance: 1%

In all honesty... I'm starting to doubt that we're getting one.

Want: 100%
With Takamaru, Mach Rider, Muddy Mole, Lip, and some other more obscure options, how could I not want it to happen?

Flynn: 2.15%

Masked Dedede: 15.35%

King Kuh Rool x5

colder_than_ice

Smash Lord
Lor Starcutter
Chance: 36% - One of the more likely Return to Dreamland stages
Want: 76% - It's a flying space boat, what's not to like?

Two retros
Chance: 0% - At this point, I'm doubting will even get one.
Want: 0% - I never really understood the appeal of the so called "retro" characters.

Predictions
Masked Dededee: 25%
Flint: 0.1%

Nominations: Commander Shepard. x5

Last edited:

Xenigma

Smash Lord
NNID
Xenigma
Lor Starcutter Stage - Abstain
My gut says that with Halberd in the mix, there's just no way a second ship-based Kirby stage would appear. That said, I'm refraining from rating since I barely know anything about the Lor Starcutter specifically and given that there's more than one way to do such a stage (see Rainbow Cruise).

Two Retros - 0%
This is mostly due to Pac-Man and Little Mac (and presumably Mega Man) being specifically excluded. None of the remaining Gematsu characters are retro, and there's little to no room remaining on the roster for any other newcomers, never mind retros. There's a slim chance we see a clear-cut retro newcomer still, but getting two? No way.
Want - 0% - Retros are all well and good, but I'd argue we've already got some newcomer retros, and none of the newcomers I want are retros, so I can't say I'd want two extra retros.

Smasher 101

Smash Lord
3DS FC
0877-3649-6314
Switch FC
SW-7628-2111-0913
The extra nominations post has been updated.

PK_Wonder

Smash Lord
I don't even wanna know who is responsible for causing Owain's score to increase. I just can't believe think he is feasible.

Lor Starcutter - 5% So many potential Kirby stages.
Want - 40%

Two Retros - 0% not in this game. We'll be lucky to get one retro, considering Pac-Man and Little Mac and Mega Man are all very much in that vein, even if not true retros like Ice Climbers, Mr. G&W, R.O.B., and Pit before them.
Want - 0% Nah.

predict:
Masked Dedede - 25%
Flynn - 0.2%

nominate:
Jill Valentine x5

D

Deleted member

Lor starcutter
Chance-2%
Want-0%(as a stage)
I would actually like to see it as a boss for a return to dreamland stage, but then again, I want to see either Whispy galacta knight first.

Two retro newcomers
Chance 20%
Want 50%
It really depends if Little Mac counts as retro or not, I would love to see Takamaru, but there isn't much else they can do in terms of "retro"

Nomination- Mii Wizard/MageX5

~Krystal~

True American Heroine
Lor Starcutter

Chance: 40%
I mean, we've only got the most unbiased director ever. There's no way he stuffs another Kirby level into the game.

Eh. Return to Dreamland was cool and everything (I wish it had Suplex copy ability). Stage-wise, I'm thinking they could do better. Halberd already fills the nerdtastic ship niche for this franchise. A second one would feel redundant, but that's my opinion.

Prehistoric Characters

Chance: 50%
There is a pattern afterall. Game and Watch plus Ice Climbers in Melee. R.O.B. made his unexpected appearance. Before Kid Icarus was thrown into the Lazarus Pit, few people considered the possibility a character from there would get in. Pit joined R.O.B. It's definitely a possibility. I'm seeing Excitebiker thrown around in a lot of leaks not named Gematsu, for what that's worth.

Want: 80%
I'm dying to see which fossil he digs up next.

YoshiandToad

Smash Hero
Lor Starcutter

Chance and want: Abstain.
Stages man. There's been about five I really wanted, everything else I'm neutral on.

Double Retros
Chance: 100%
Pac-Man and Little Mac. Done. Two excellent retros.

Oh...we're not counting Pac because he's third party? And Little Mac's debatable?

Chance: 2%

I now believe Game and Watch and ROB are in actual fact not retros, but hardware characters, which is something Wii Fit Trainer gets in on.

As a result I don't think there's much chance we'll get TWO retros. It could happen, but if Little Mac no longer counts that's another two newcomers dedicated to decades passed that we should expect on top of Gematsu's leak...which I can't see happening personally.

Depends on the retros obviously;

Balloon Fighter and Duck Hunt Dog are two of my favourite retro characters because I actually played their games as a kid. They're also incredibly famous retros. Villager has somewhat put an end to Balloon Fighter, and Duck Hunt Dog is highly unlikely as much as I want to smash people in the face with ducks like I can in Super Smash Bros. Crusade.

Bubbles from Clu Clu sounds intriguing but obviously her whole gimmick of building up momentum may very well prove to be too hard to implement into a fighter.

I feel like Lip is out at this point. Whilst not stated otherwise it seems she's being represented yet again through her weapon and some easter eggs in the Nintendog stage.

Prince Sable has an interesting transformation gimmick...but transformations have been done away with so he's out.

Mach Rider's an okay choice, but it's difficult to know where s/he'll differ from Falcon apart from maybe using their gun in the moveset.

Tamagon is just plain unlikely.

Takamaru as a playable character doesn't excite me in the slightest. Kinda generic. Annoyingly the most likely to be implemented.

D

Deleted member

Lor Starcutter:
Chance: 50% - Stages...how does one even rate a stage? I think this could go either way just like every location that could potentially be a stage.
Want: 80% - Really, this is just for the music. There could be a fantastic music selection for this stage.

Two Retros:
Chance: 5% - I don't think this will happen. I think Isaac and/or a DK character are more likely. I'm not sure the development team thinks a retro character is required.
Want: 50% - Sure. If said characters make sense, than great! The issue I have with the whole "retro" concept, is at this point some people think a retro character is a requirement, and really, there aren't a whole lot of good options left. I'd be fine with Lip, but her chances aren't too great at this point. Duck Hunt Dog would be hilarious, mainly because he'd have a taunt 15 times more annoying than "You're too slow," but I don't think his chances are that great either. I have a huge negative bias toward Mach Rider and Balloon Fighter for reasons I will not detail, but if Mach Rider fought solely on his bike, I think that would be pretty cool. Takamaru could be extremely interesting if they had him use an Iaido style of swordplay, but from what I can tell there seems to be far more western demand for him than eastern demand. And that's kind of a problem, considering the west has Little Mac as a bias character so far, and Ridley seems to be far more popular. I'd be okay with it, but at the same time, there's not really too many retro characters that I really want in the game. At this point, I'd prefer most retro characters to be assist trophies at best. Sorry!

Last edited by a moderator:

andimidna

Smash Master
Lor abstain

2 retro
5 chance
I lost hope in this
99 want
Takamaru, Lip, Mach Rider, Hikari, Ayumi... I like a lot of retros

Pre
Mask 10
Flynn 0.65

X7 Agitha
X2 Lana
X3 Cia
(All from Zelda/HW)
I think I have 16 noms left now. Yea, that sounds right.

Edit: I'm back home with my laptop and I'm ready to make some posts that aren't terrible! :)

Last edited:

WeirdChillFever

Smash Hero
Lor starcutter
Chance-2%
Want-0%(as a stage)
I would actually like to see it as a boss for a return to dreamland stage, but then again, I want to see either Whispy galacta knight first.

Two retro newcomers
Chance 20%
Want 50%
It really depends if Little Mac counts as retro or not, I would love to see Takamaru, but there isn't much else they can do in terms of "retro"

Nomination- Mii Wizard/MageX5
For the "Two Retros"-day, Little Mac doesn't count, according to @ Groose Groose

NickerBocker

Smash Lord
3DS FC
2492-4251-5054
Lor Starcutter
Chance: 20%

Im never really sure about levels

2 Retros
Chance: 4%
Want: 20%

I can see one happening, but 2? That may be a stretch. I assume that the roster is nearing its maximum, what with the Gematsu leak + returning vets + other potential newcomers, the limit may be closeby.

I can see Takamaru or Mach Rider happening, but having both characters in over the likes of K Rool or even Mewtwo, I dont see it happening. One of them? Thats much more possible.

Im aware that Pacman and Little Mac dont count, but I feel those 2 characters, along with Megaman to an extent, count as our retros. Pacmans design ia clearly based on his classic look, and that scene at the end of the trailer with Pacman and G&W tells me that retro was the intention. Same with Megaman, and his character celebrates the history of Megaman with the classic look and moveset. Little Mac is designed more modern, but Little Macs impact on Nintendo was largely during NES era. So yes we have 2 third parties who are more retro than anything, and a character whos popularity comes from a previous time. These characters may not be retro by definition, but to me, they are.

Masked Dedede: 23.2%
Flynn: 0.6% (who?)

Nominations:
One or more Villain addition (mewtwo is a villain) x5

Last edited:

Smasher 101

Smash Lord
3DS FC
0877-3649-6314
Switch FC
SW-7628-2111-0913
Lor Starcutter: 25% - I think it's one of the more likely Return to Dream Land possibilities and I find it likely that we get a stage from there. The return of Halbred does hurt it, however.
Want: 100% - My choice for a new Kirby stage.

Two Retros: 0% - At this point I'm not completely positive that we'll get a true retro, I honestly don't think two is a possibility anymore.
Want: 70% - That said I wouldn't mind it, especially since the most likely choice (Takamaru) is one of my least favorite possibilities.

Masked Dedede Alt prediction: 22.18% - I don't have a clue.
Flynn prediction: 0.84% - Not much.

Crash Bandicoot x5

Sarki Soliloquy

Smash Champion
Lor Starcutter

Want - 90%

The Starcutter is actually my top choice for a Wii U Kirby stage. However, I attribute most of that to how I imagine it. Think outside the box and you'll see how redundancy fades. This Smash Bros. doesn't have a proper "transitioning" stage yet like Castle Siege. Think of the Lor Starcutter as the default platform. The match begins here and you phase into it after every transition. After a set time limit, you would briefly drop to Egg Engines, Dangerous Dinner, and the scene of the Magolor boss battle, where the terrain and hazards change (Magolor is a stage boss in vein of Yellow Devil or Ridley). There would need to be a short period of seconds to travel between each area within 2 minutes before repeating for the best representation. As for the Starcutter, have all four mini Landias appear as ridable platforms and stage hazards like the Arwings in Corneria or Venom. Why not implement a mechanic where you can briefly ride them to fire stars at enemies.

Oh, and the music, think about all the possibilities for music! Another Dimension? C-R-O-W-N-E-D? Landia Battle? Any takers? Huh, huh!?

Chance - 75%

As to whether or not Sakurai would consider it, the Lor Starcutter is a game and plot critical location throughout Return to Dreamland, so it would be hard to miss. He could spice it up differently from the Halberd as well. Although, a stage based on Epic Yarn seems to be a contender for the Wii U, which has unique possibilities of its own. He could always pull something out of Triple Deluxe for the 3DS version, which uses the same engine as Return to Dreamland. You also have Mass Attack, Canvas Curse, Squeak Squad, and even Superstar Ultra as possible choices.

Overall, Smash 4 has your planes (Pilotwings), trains (Spirit Train), and automobiles (Shy Guys in Rainbow Road). Now all it needs is spaceships!

Two Retros

Want - 20%

Out of all potential newcomers this site has pondered, none of the retro characters really appeal to me. Not that things couldn't be done with them when being recreated though.
Chance - 30%

BluePsychic said:
The issue I have with the whole "retro" concept, is at this point some people think a retro character is a requirement, and really, there aren't a whole lot of good options left.
This. Sometimes it's ridiculous the paradigms people follow when it comes to predicting rosters every successive Smash game.

As for Little Mac and Pac-Man, neither of them are considered retros. Both have managed to stay relevant in memory and capital through franchise revivals (Punch-Out!! Wii) and less-than-stellar spin-offs (Pac Party, Ghostly Adventures).

Also, the Sal Romano leak doesn't narrow down newcomers, but locks in three at this point. Remember, we got no indication that Rosalina & Luma would join the battle.

Predictions

Masked Dedede Alt. Costume
Want - 45%

Masked Dedede always seemed like a "super form" to me rather than an alternative costume. There's some alternate moves that hammer possesses which would be suitable for Final Smash territory. But at this point, it could go the other way, which would be fine.

Chance - 87%

Has appeared in two games. Limited costume choice on said character. This is probably the most definitive choice for King Dedede's alt costume. It gives him enough distinction with mask and his hammer could easily be swapped out for the new one. The only problem is that it wouldn't improve his wardrobe too much.

There's always the less flashy alternative, Samurai Dedede:

But then again, Little Mac's receiving the Pink Sweatshirt and the Wireframe. Hope they have their own sets of recolors to match. So...

Flynn

Want - 60%

Flynn's appeal titillates my softspot for the "exotic character" and his series is more than deserving of a character. But if the SMT copyright barrier were out of the way, I would take Jack Frost over Flynn in a heartbeat. Just look at my support sig!

Imagining how Flynn would play, he could be an indirect summoner of sorts. Like, he could call forth the projections of different demons for his specials (maybe a few of his standards) a la Zappa from Guilty Gear. Bring in customizations and you could pull in much more demons into play.

Chance - 0%

Yeah, Flynn's not likely at this point because of third party saturation and Atlus is now a Sega subsidiary, who was acquired after Sonic was revealed for SSB4. As awesome as it would be to see Flynn, Jack, or NiGHTS in a Smash game, it already buffers up the representation against the other companies, which is downright rude. Ultimately, Atlus's new parent company gives them a much better fate than having them erode under their former conglomerate. There's many politics in the entertainment business that won't spare one company for the sake of one crossover.

Nominations

Alt costumes used like recolors by CPU x3
Double Cherry item x2

Last edited:

Pureownege75

Smash Journeyman
Lor Starcutter
Chance: 30%
Never played Return to Dreamland, but I know a good deal about the game, and feel like it could be a decent stage. We haven't seen a NEW Kirby stage yet, and since that was the most recent console Kirby game, it seems like the Smash Wii U stage will come from that game. I personally don't really care what it is, as I've not played the game, but I think it would be a solid addition

2 Retro Newcomers
Chance: 10%
Want:10%
We haven't seen any Retro characters (or at least characters that are being considered Retro for this thread), so the fact that we'll get TWO of them is pretty unlikely. The three Gematsu newcomers aren't Retro, we already have two really obscure characters (Wii Fit Trainer and presumably Choir Boys/Chorus Men/Whatever they are called), and there are no really highly requested retro characters outside of Takamaru. I'd be fine with one retro character, but we really don't need two.

Nominations
Other Captains as Costumes for Olimar (Louie, President, Alph, Brittany, Charlie) x5

Last edited:

loganhogan

Smash Ace
Lor Starcutter
chance 50%
want 50%

2 retro characters
chance 10%
want 85%

I'm unsure if Pac-man, Little Mac, and Palutena count or don't count as retro but in this case I won't count them as retro characters. I think the event of two happening seems possible but unlikely. Although Sakurai did say he was happy to bring back older characters to life I think we'll more than likely just get one of them. I would be glad to see one of more, two is fine.

x5 John Raimi

Groose

Smash Champion
Lor Starcutter: 15% chance and 75% want
Sakurai-san is rather... well, peculiar about some franchises. Metroid stages always have to have lava or some sort of gravity-defying gimmick, Star Fox stages take place on the back of a ship, and Kirby always has a stage with the awesome tree whose name is currently escaping me. I think a Lor Starcutter stage could only be on the console version, and the console version already has a ship-based Kirby stage and not a Green Greens based one. Still, I do want one--it's an awesome area, and it's pretty different from what we have.

Two Retro Newcomers: 0.1% chance and 0% want
I think that both Mac 'n Pac are seen, at least to a degree, as characters getting revived. Couple that with my belief that we probably know all of the newcomers, and that leaves little room for two more revival characters. That said, I'd also prefer to see others, like K. Rool, Ridley, or Ghirahim, before a Retro and certainly before two of them.

x5 In the Final
SHOWTIME!

DAY OVER

GROOSE IS LOOSE!

Pacack

Super Pac-Fan
NNID
Pacack
3DS FC
0688-5284-6845
Sakurai-san is rather... well, peculiar about some franchises. Metroid stages always have to have lava or some sort of gravity-defying gimmick, Star Fox stages take place on the back of a ship, and Kirby always has a stage with the awesome tree whose name is currently escaping me.
<3

Burigu

Smash Ace
Sakurai-san is rather... well, peculiar about some franchises. Metroid stages always have to have lava or some sort of gravity-defying gimmick, Star Fox stages take place on the back of a ship, and Kirby always has a stage with the awesome tree whose name is currently escaping me.
Whispy Woods

Groose

Smash Champion
Lor Starcutter
27.42% chance
56.12% want

Return to Dreamland is a very popular game, and it is well loved on these boards; it's not a huge surprise that one of its main locations broke the 50% want mark. It also got a decent, but not extraordinary chance score. ...and I have no more to say.

Two More Retros
9.36% chance
39.94% want

A lot of people want to see an additional Retro newcomer. It isn't quite as common, however, to see people asking for two. I'm sure the chance score would have been much higher had his been rated back when it received its first nomination (back in January, if my mind serves). I'm glad to see it finally get its day, though.

Today it's time for some more Kirby! Dedede is up to the plate; rather, a Masked Dedede Costume is. Will he need a monster to clobber that dere Kirby? In addition, we're talking Shin Megami Tensei--this time we're discussing Flynn. As of right now, I have no idea who that is, so I encourage you all to do some field work--I'll be doing the same shortly! Please rate Masked Dedede Costume and Flynn.

Tomorrow? It's time for a FIRE EMBLEM DISCUSSION! Princess Eirika will be waging war in the mooring, and she'll be brining a Mr. Dream Boss with her. Predict away!
Right. I was actually going to say Whispering Woods, but something about that sounded off. Thanks for the correction!

Pacack

Super Pac-Fan
NNID
Pacack
3DS FC
0688-5284-6845
Flynn:

Chance: 0%
Harsh, but he's a third party character that is owned by a company that itself is owned by SEGA which (as if his position wasn't bad enough already) already has a mascot in Jack Frost that would almost definitely make it in before him if Atlus were, for some reason, to get a character in this game.

I'd prefer Jack Frost, and I don't even particularly care for or about him.

Masked Dedede:

Chance: 40%
Since it seems that all/most characters are getting alternate costumes, this is very possible.

Want: 70%
Would be cool.

Predictions:
Eirika: 2%
Mr. Dream Boss: 3.33%

Nominations: Cain and Abel x5

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Masked Dedede

Chance: 20% - Its plausible since many characters are getting alt costumes.
Want: 25% - Not really that interested. plus IMO would be better suited as his new & revamped final smash.

Flynn

Chance: 0% - See Pacack's post.
Want: 0% - No thanks

Nomination:

2x Kiddy Kong
2x 6 Mario characters
1x Masked Dedede Final Smash

TitanTeaTime

Smash Lord
NNID
TitanTeaTime
3DS FC
2165-6601-4781
Oh hey look, I can't hand out double zeroes like I'm an air salesman this time cause I nominated one of these.
Well, actually first of all...
Flynn: Double Zeroes
I never cared for him and SMT doesn't seem to get much attention at all from Nintendo.
Masked Dedede Alt Costume:
Chance - 70%
Wii Fit Trainer has an entirely new model, Lil Mac gets 2 alt costumes (one of which has a new model) and Link (a veteran!) gets his Skyward Sword appearance. Masked Dedede is not only simple and unintrusive to his gameplay but also has Sakurai's bias going for it.
Want - 100%
I nominated this for a reason. Pretty fun boss fight, with all the stuff going around and it could be easily translated with just the simple addition of, you know, A MASK. I'd probably always use this costume, especially with him being one of my mains in Brawl anyway.
Bonus points if the hammer is replaced with a battleaxe, though I don't see that happening. Rocket boosters are not easy to stuff in a thin axe like that.
Predictions: Eirika - 1%
Mr Dream Boss - 0.1%
Because being replaced as the ultimate boss by Mr Sandman
well, Donkey Kong
wasn't enough for him to get nominated anyway.
Nominations: You Will Know Our Names x5

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom