• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Rate Their Chances: GAME OVER! Join the RTC Social Group Today!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Burigu

Smash Ace
Hmm. The anime always called them "Plusle and Minun," and a big part of my PokeIdentity is the anime. I'm afraid that's one thing I just can't change.
I know even Plusle is before Minum in the Pokedex, it's a story about how I captured Minun first and used him in my team in Ruby, sadly in my country the Hoenn saga was late several years in the open tv so I grew mentioning them Minum and Plusle, (now I have paid tv so I don't have to deal with this issue anymore or the crappy pronunciations I gave some pokemon before the anime or Battle revolution).

Let's do this:
Most overrated:
Sceptile
The among of support Sceptile gained in the blink of and eye was unexpected. This OMG we got Water and Fire we will get Grass is certainly flawed logic.
I pointed this out in the Sceptile support thread
Both Charizard and Greninja are dual typed, people "forget" that Sceptile is not a dual type so this holy trinity is not that PERFECT, as obvious as some might think. The remakes helps Sceptile but not that much Smash is much more about the character than accuretely represent other game mechanics, just for the sake of "pleasing grass type fans"

Other mention
Takamaru
Don't get me wrong on this one, I know Smash is well known for reviving characters not seen "in years" (Captain Rainbow cough cough), I am in no way an expert but I think they can come up with another retro, so the Takamaru being a shoe in, is a bit overrated in my opinion but for this thread I will stick with Sceptile.

Most Underated:
Chrom
I am not refering to his chances but to how people are so sure he doesn't have anything new or play to similar to Marth, that is unbeliveble, we are not the devs so we can't know for sure he would play like Marth or something between Marth and Ike. Don't doubt the creativity of the developers

Other mention
Dixie Kong
Again everybody is so sure about K Rool that nobody look at Dixie which is still on the run.

Most accurate:

Last edited:

Starcutter

Resident Beedrill
NNID
Legendofrob1
3DS FC
1908-0357-9077
Most overrated: Pacman. I still think he's going to be a Special flag assist.

Most underrated: Layton. If he wasn't third party he'd be a shoo in for everybody. Even that he is, he's still got almost everything in his favor.

Most spot on: Palutena. Cause obvious.

False Sense

Ad Astra Per Aspera
NNID
FalseSense
3DS FC
3368-2599-3209
Most underrated: Layton. If he wasn't third party he'd be a shoo in for everybody.
Well, obviously. Layton would be an ideal character choice for Smash if he wasn't Third Party.

But he is, so....

Starcutter

Resident Beedrill
NNID
Legendofrob1
3DS FC
1908-0357-9077
Well, obviously. Layton would be an ideal character choice for Smash if he wasn't Third Party.

But he is, so....
I'm confident that there's enough ties to Nintendo for him to be at least likely. A "Special circumstance" as Sakurai would call it.

Burigu

Smash Ace
I'm confident that there's enough ties to Nintendo for him to be at least likely. A "Special circumstance" as Sakurai would call it.
I can't see how Pacman a FAR more iconic character would end up being a assist but Layton has a good shot at being playable, Sakurai stated they are very special cases, I don't know how are the ties between Nintendo and Level 5 but I don't see Layton happening, nothing against him but as 3rd parties both Pacman and Snake are far more iconic

OctiVick

Smash Journeyman
Most Overrated: Chorus Kids
I think at the end they would go with an actual character like Marshal rather than someone(s) who just appeared in one mini-game.

Most Underrated: Miis
I feel people counted them as deconfirmed way to quickly just because they appear in the background of a stage when they are clearly background elements and playable characters in other games.

Accurate: Palutena
Nuff said . . .

False Sense

Ad Astra Per Aspera
NNID
FalseSense
3DS FC
3368-2599-3209
Well, as for my actual ratings...

Most Overrated: Shulk

Well, with just about every character here, there are people calling this guy overrated and underrated. I think he's more overrated. Not to say that he's an unlikely choice, but, I mean, really? A character who's had one good game so far is now considered one of the single most likely characters to appear in Smash? I could very easily see Shulk just not making it in. He'd be a fine addition to Smash, but is he really one of the most likely?

Honorable Mentions: Chrom, Sceptile and Miis

I don't actually believe the Gematsu leak, in case that wasn't obvious already (please don't kill me). So I don't factor that into character's chances. Anyway, Chrom and Miis are, I think, just slightly overrated. Chrom is likely, but I think his lack of uniqueness and competition are a little more notable than most people think. Miis are just unlikely to me, for reasons that I've gone over a number of times and would probably start a war if I brought up again. Also, I seriously doubt that a game as late as Omega Ruby and Alpha Sapphire will have any impact on this game whatsoever, and I don't think completing the type triangle is enough justification for Sceptile.

Most Underrated: Ridley?

Yeah, I'm not too sure about underrated characters, as I think most of our ratings are fairly accurate for the less likely characters. But I think maybe Ridley has more of a chance than we may think. I wouldn't say he's likely, but he's not de-confirmed and there are a number of oddities about the whole situation that seem to suggest a playable Ridley. Maybe something closer to a 50/50 score would be more fitting.

Honorable Mention: Robin

Robin's rating is fairly accurate, but I think it's still a little lower than it should be. I'd put Robin closer to 30-35% rather than 25%.

Most Accurate: Gematsu Leak

A near perfect 50/50. That rating was a thing of beauty.

Honorable Mention: Palutena

One of the likeliest characters and rated as such. However, her rating is not as accurate as the leak's.

Groose

Smash Champion
Most Accurate: Lupus. I'm not even going to give an explanation.
I already had characters in mind for the other two positions, but I'll have to copy you here--that was our most accurate rating, BY FAR.
Also, I forgot to mention that I believe Ghirahim is by far the most likely candidate for Smash in Skyward Sword (Sorry Groose. Your pompadour just isn't enough).
Funnily enough, I support Ghirahim and not Groose. Groose would be a strange addition, and while I couldn't dislike it, I'd definitely prefer Ghirahim.
BTW, @ Groose Groose , do you want me to tally the scores like before?.
Thanks for the offer, but I'm OK! Updating days like this is so easy compared to the normal ratings, and I can handle it!

Burigu

Smash Ace
I already had characters in mind for the other two positions, but I'll have to copy you here--that was our most accurate rating, BY FAR.

Funnily enough, I support Ghirahim and not Groose. Groose would be a strange addition, and while I couldn't dislike it, I'd definitely prefer Ghirahim.

Thanks for the offer, but I'm OK! Updating days like this is so easy compared to the normal ratings, and I can handle it!
I didn't said that? or did I miss the joke?

Groose

Smash Champion
I bet I know who won most overrated and most accurate :p

Most underrated is what I'm interested in seeing
One of the bigger names in the industry took that one. I just finished tallying stuff up, and now I'm just writing up my response. Day over in 20 minutes or so?
I didn't said that? or did I miss the joke?
For some reason, it ate the response I had planned for you, and replaced it with what I wanted to say to a Link to the Forums. I meant to tell you about how I used to watch the Pokemon Anime on a pocket television my parents had, and how the episode I remember seeing most vividly is the one with Plusle and Minun. I wanted to thank you for digging up those memories; I had forgotten until you mentioned not being able to watch the anime (I used to use the pocket television when I couldn't watch it on the regular TC.

Burigu

Smash Ace
One of the bigger names in the industry took that one. I just finished tallying stuff up, and now I'm just writing up my response. Day over in 20 minutes or so?

For some reason, it ate the response I had planned for you, and replaced it with what I wanted to say to a Link to the Forums. I meant to tell you about how I used to watch the Pokemon Anime on a pocket television my parents had, and how the episode I remember seeing most vividly is the one with Plusle and Minun. I wanted to thank you for digging up those memories; I had forgotten until you mentioned not being able to watch the anime (I used to use the pocket television when I couldn't watch it on the regular TC.
You are welcome, you don't know where the next flash back awaits, I guess this is one of the benefits of being part of a community of people that like some of the same things as you.

Groose

Smash Champion
Most Underrated

My score for Snake has remained pretty much the same for months now. However, his score on here and the opinion of him on the street have slowly deteriorated; he's down to a 42% chance, and he's off of most prediction rosters. I think I'm one of the only people that still thinks he's likely (66%) and has him on a prediction roster yet doesn't actively support his return. Simply put, I think you're all dismissing him a bit too early.

Most Overrated

I pushed him all the way to the top in the hopes of doing two things--slashing his chance score (preferably to the 2%-5% range) and adding to his want score. One of those things didn't happen. Layton's score is about 15% now, which is even higher than it was beforehand. As much as I want him to be a contender, I don't think he is. His piece does not seem to fit to the puzzle that is the Smash roster.

Most Accurate

There are a few characters we've rated that have no chance. Lupus was the only one of them that received the exact ratio deserved, and my joy on seeing a 0% overall on that day was boundless. This is the one rating I am the most confident in.

DAY OVER

WE'RE GOING OFF THE RAILS ON THE HY-YPE TRAIN!

Arcanir

An old friend evolved
NNID
Shoryu91
3DS FC
4253-4855-5860
Most Overrated: Sceptile
While I'm a big fan of him and his line, I feel that we let the ORAS hype get to us and it skewered the score in his favor, and considering his standing in the franchise at large I don't think it was warranted. He's not the most popular or promoted of his generation of his generation or the general franchise, which is a notable thing to lack considering that every other Pokémon included in Smash had either or both of those elements backing them, and he loses out to other Pokémon that aren't in the game already with the same criteria. Similarly, the two points that are supposingly in his favor we aren't sure will matter for much. His grass typing really means little in the scheme of things as Charizard and Greninja were hardly picked for their typings and we don't know if it really is on Sakurai's mind (and it's hardly on GF's considering the XY hype screwed over the other two for the favorite twice over) and we don't even know if ORAS will get content, and even then Blaziken would more likely represent it as he is the one GF defaults to based on what we've seen.

So I really feel the boost he got was very unwarranted, especially in comparison to Blaziken who definitely shouldn't be lower then him.

Most Underrated: Abstain

Most Accurate: Palutena
With a lot going for her, I feel her score is very warranted.

Edit: Whoops, didn't see the end of the day post, sorry Groose!

Last edited:

Groose

Smash Champion
Most Underrated
Ridley

(Honorable Mentions: Chorus Men, Ghirahim, and Snake)
[collapse=Tallies]
Underrated
x10 Ridley
x7 Chorus Men
x5 Snake
x5 Ghirahim
x3 Mii
x2 Lucina
x2 Bowser Jr.
Magnus
Sceptile
Blaziken
Paper Mario
Toad
Krystal
Six Mario Characters
Lucas
Chrom
Layton
Micaiah
Mewtwo
Bandana Dee
Vaati
Impa
[/collapse]​
This was the only category that could really be defined as close, and even then Ridley still beat out Chorus Men by three full votes. It looks like rating Ridley so soon after the Direct was a bad idea; apparently, we didn't have enough time to digest the evidence we were given. Ghirahim and Snake also attracted some attention, but Ridley and Chorus Men were the real stars here today. Ridley will be rated the day we return to normal ratings, providing he isn't confirmed or deconfirmed between now and then.

Most Overrated
Sceptile

(Honorable Mentions: Chorus Men, Ridley, Takamaru and Shulk)
[collapse=Tallies]
Overrated
x13 Sceptile
x7 Chorus Men
x6 Ridley
x5 Takamaru
x5 Shulk
x4 King K. Rool
x4 Chibi Robo
x3 Pac-Man
x2 Mewtwo
x2 Isaac
x2 Bowser Jr.
Mii
Ghirahim
Dixie Kong
Yarne and Owain
Layton
Dixie Kong
[/collapse]​
Sceptile had this match from the beginning to the end. Maybe it was a mistake rating him so quickly after news concerning him broke (sounds familiar, eh?); from now on I'll try not to rush our ratings like that. Chorus Men and Ridley were the main competitors; it's kind of ironic, as they were our leaders in the opposite category. Funny how divided we are, eh? Anyway, Sceptile will join Ridley the day when we resume our normal ratings.

Most Accurate
Palutena

(Honorable Mentions: Lupus and Gematsu Leak)
[collapse=Tallies]
Accurate
x23 Palutena
x6 Lupus
x5 Gematsu Leak
x2 Banjo Kazooie
x2 Chrom
x2 Pac-Man Anthony Higgs
Chorus Men
Mewtwo
Unlockable Newcomers
Zip
Waddle Dee
Isaac
Spyro
Bowser Jr.
Takamaru
[/collapse]
The Goddess of Light had more votes than every other character combined. The only other characters that really garnered votes were Lupus and the Gematsu Leak; it turns out that pretty much everyone can agree that Palutena is almost definitely in the game.

Today
Most Hyping Moment and Most Deflating Moment

Everyone has one moment that really stands out to them as the high point of this entire speculation; pretty much everyone has their lows, as well. Join me today as we leave Rate Their Chances behind and reflect upon the best and the worst of our experiences so far. I forget what won last time, so if you really want to know, just hop on Brawler610's Directory in the first page of this thread! I'm working on a schedule for the rest of the week; please stay tuned!
Edit: Whoops, didn't see the end of the day post, sorry Groose!
I got it in, don't worry! I always factor in those scores that are posted between when I "end the day" and "announce the results."

Last edited:

False Sense

Ad Astra Per Aspera
NNID
FalseSense
3DS FC
3368-2599-3209
I think there's a clear lesson to be learned from today's results: we should be very careful when rating characters the day of or after some big news that could potentially affect their chances is announced. Our results tend to be skewed due to hype or pessimism, and will eventually be regarded as inaccurate when the hype/pessimism dies down and people begin to analyze the situation more logically.

Groose

Smash Champion
I think there's a clear lesson to be learned from today's results: we should be very careful when rating characters the day of or after some big news that could potentially affect their chances is announced. Our results tend to be skewed due to hype or pessimism, and will eventually be regarded as inaccurate when the hype/pessimism dies down and people begin to analyze the situation more logically.
Yep. It certainly taught me that lesson! I kind of noted it down in my earlier post, too.

D

Deleted member

Most hyping and most deflating moment have been added to the Directory.
Check to see what you've said on the previous hyping and deflating day!

I'm looking forward to this day just to hear all of the stories! I'll post mine later.

Oh, by the way, I secretly tallied the scores and I got different results from Groose:
Most Overrated
13x Sceptile
6x Chorus Men
5x Ridley
5x Takamaru
4x Chibi-Robo
4x King K. Rool
4x Shulk
3x Pac-Man
2x Mewtwo
2x Isaac
1x Mii
1x Dixie Kong
1x Yarne & Owain Tag-Team
1x Ghirahim
1x Professor Layton

Most Underrated
9x Ridley
5x Ghirahim
5x Snake
4x Chorus Men
4x Mii
3x Rhythm Heaven
2x Bowser Jr.
2x Lucina
1x Mewtwo
1x Blaziken
1x Bandana Dee
1x Magnus
1x Six Mario Characters
1x Krystal
1x Lucas
1x Toad
1x Impa
1x Paper Mario
1x Vaati
1x Sceptile
1x Professor Layton
1x Chrom
1x Micaiah
1x “Any FE newcomer that isn’t Chrom”

Most Accurate
24x Palutena
7x Lupus
4x Gematsu Leak
2x Chrom
2x Banjo-Kazooie
1x Takamaru
1x Pac-Man
1x Mewtwo
1x Dixie Kong
1x Spyro
1x Bowser Jr.
1x Chorus Men
1x Anthony Higgs
1x Isaac
1x Bandana Dee
1x Unlockable Newcomers

I mostly did it throughout the day, so some people may have changed their votes...

I'm just thankful for two things:
1. Another Shulk re-rate has been avoided (I'm getting tired of rating him to be honest! XD).
2. We avoided Armageddon by not pairing Chorus Men with Ridley in the inevitable re-rate. That day would be the most controversial of them all!

Depressed Gengar

Hana Is Best Girl
Most Hype: Rosalina with Lucario as the honorable mention, like before.
Least Hype: The direct. I'm still sickened by it. *shivers* Honorable mention goes to the wait for Yoshi (seriously, he should've been at E3 last year over Pit.)

Groose

Smash Champion
Most hyping and most deflating moment have been added to the Directory.
Check to see what you've said on the previous hyping and deflating day!

I'm looking forward to this day just to hear all of the stories! I'll post mine later.

Oh, by the way, I secretly tallied the scores and I got different results from Groose:
Most Overrated
13x Sceptile
6x Chorus Men
5x Ridley
5x Takamaru
4x Chibi-Robo
4x King K. Rool
4x Shulk
3x Pac-Man
2x Mewtwo
2x Isaac
1x Mii
1x Dixie Kong
1x Yarne & Owain Tag-Team
1x Ghirahim
1x Professor Layton

Most Underrated
9x Ridley
5x Ghirahim
5x Snake
4x Chorus Men
4x Mii
3x Rhythm Heaven
2x Bowser Jr.
2x Lucina
1x Mewtwo
1x Blaziken
1x Bandana Dee
1x Magnus
1x Six Mario Characters
1x Krystal
1x Lucas
1x Toad
1x Impa
1x Paper Mario
1x Vaati
1x Sceptile
1x Professor Layton
1x Chrom
1x Micaiah
1x “Any FE newcomer that isn’t Chrom”

Most Accurate
24x Palutena
7x Lupus
4x Gematsu Leak
2x Chrom
2x Banjo-Kazooie
1x Takamaru
1x Pac-Man
1x Mewtwo
1x Dixie Kong
1x Spyro
1x Bowser Jr.
1x Chorus Men
1x Anthony Higgs
1x Isaac
1x Bandana Dee
1x Unlockable Newcomers

I mostly did it throughout the day, so some people may have changed their votes...

I'm just thankful for two things:
1. Another Shulk re-rate has been avoided (I'm getting tired of rating him to be honest! XD).
2. We avoided Armageddon by not pairing Chorus Men with Ridley in the inevitable re-rate. That day would be the most controversial of them all!
Well, thanks for verifying me! When people did include two votes rather than choosing one, I did take both; also, I think I may have changed some "Rhythm Heaven Character" votes into ones for Chorus Men. Still, we got the same ones on top and that's all that really matters.

Will you be doing this day's results throughout the day as well? If so, I'll just go with your tallies instead of taking them too.

Louie G.

Smash Hero
MOST HYPE: LITTLE MAC
Words cannot describe how happy I was to see Little Mac on that amazing Valentine's Day. Nintendo must really love me a lot. :p
I'm going out on a limb and saying that no character, barring maybe Mewtwo, will make me as happy as Little Mac.
Punch Out is one of my favorite games of all time and having the main character in Smash is huge for me.

LEAST HYPE: RIDLEY'S SHADOW
Yeah, this one's pretty obvious.
I think Ridley's still got a shot, but this put a major dent in the chances of one of my most wanted newcomers.

D

Deleted member

Most Hype: The montage of characters shown before Greninja's reveal. I dunno why, but just sitting through this montage of characters with the SSB64 Credits Theme playing in the background feels extremely satisfying, and I get pretty excited every time I see it.
Honorable Mentions: Greninja's reveal and Ike's reveal. I have no idea why Greninja resonates with me so much, but I'm super stoked to try him out. Especially if he has a Politoed themed recolor. Frogs are the best. Ike's reveal was hype because of how extremely comforting it was. I went on a tangent the other day about how I didn't want to see Chrom unless Ike was back. I really did have my doubts about seeing Ike again, and while I didn't use him too much, I certainly would have mourned his absence, mainly because my friend and brother use him. Seeing the pic on the day of his reveal just felt like reliving all those good times fighting against him and making fun of his victory quotes.

Most Deflating: Nothing Pokemon related when Pokemon X and Y were released. No further explanation needed. I didn't expect a new character per say, but I DID expect something, like a confirmation of the Pokeball item. We got Wii Fit Trainer's ***.
Honorable mention: Luigi's reveal. Every other character revealed during a direct got some sort of trailer. (even if it was brief in Sonic's case.) Luigi was just sort of; "Oh yeah year of Luigi you all know this guy would have been in anyway but les show him now kthnx." Maybe it's cause I'm biased and would have liked to have seen a different veteran revealed in his place, but his reveal was rather anti-climatic, and if he ends up being hidden, it would have seemed extremely pointless. Why use Year of Luigi to promote a character we all know is going to be in a game that isn't even being released during the Year of Luigi?

BluePikmin11

Akko is my dear daughter!
NNID
blue
Most Hype Moment: Every single deconfirmation during the Smash Direct (Except Tom's), I enjoyed the tears after the event. :D

Least Hype Moment: Tom Nook being deconfirmed is pretty much the only notable sadness I had that was pretty big, it's sad his support thread is not getting any condolence at all since the direct was over. :(

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Most Hyping Moment: I said this before and I'll say it again. Mega Man got me excited more than anything else. Not only am I intrigued by his moveset, but I did not see him coming at all. Not because there hasn't been a Mega Man game since Mega Man 10 (if that were a reason to exclude him, then explain to me why Bad Box Art Mega Man was in the PlayStation versions of Street Fighter X Tekken and Mega Man X was in Project X Zone), but because Smash Bros. is meant to be strictly a Nintendo crossover. Snake only made it in Brawl because of Kojima's request, and if my memory serves me right, Sonic was included in Brawl because of Mario and Sonic at the Olympic Games. Mega Man only had the fan demand going for him.

Least Hyping Moment: The Wii Fit Trainer confirmation. He/she'll probably get the least amount of playtime from me, but I could be wrong.

Leafeon523

Smash Ace
NNID
Leafeon523
3DS FC
2466-1607-7000
:estatic:Most hyped: Finding out that there was a site filled with hundreds of people who are just as hyped for smash 4 as I am!:estatic:
Honorable mention: Mega man's reveal!

Least hype: Saki's deconfirmation. At least he is still an assist trophy.
Honorable mention: Having to go to school after the direct ended...

Last edited:

Smashoperatingbuddy123

Smash Legend
Most hype: little mac and megaman

I coulden't believe my eyes when i saw both of them playable

(Hope to happen on tuesday between thursday but what will top this is mewtwo or/& ridley confirmed playable)

Least hype: Nothing

You heard me nothing i love everything about smash 4 so far (well i would have said shadow appearance but im confident it was a trick to make us think hes not playable.) (and yes not getting my hopes up)

Burigu

Smash Ace
Most Hype: The montage of characters shown before Greninja's reveal. I dunno why, but just sitting through this montage of characters with the SSB64 Credits Theme playing in the background feels extremely satisfying, and I get pretty excited every time I see it.
Honorable Mentions: Greninja's reveal and Ike's reveal. I have no idea why Greninja resonates with me so much, but I'm super stoked to try him out. Especially if he has a Politoed themed recolor. Frogs are the best. Ike's reveal was hype because of how extremely comforting it was. I went on a tangent the other day about how I didn't want to see Chrom unless Ike was back. I really did have my doubts about seeing Ike again, and while I didn't use him too much, I certainly would have mourned his absence, mainly because my friend and brother use him. Seeing the pic on the day of his reveal just felt like reliving all those good times fighting against him and making fun of his victory quotes.

Most Deflating: Nothing Pokemon related when Pokemon X and Y were released. No further explanation needed. I didn't expect a new character per say, but I DID expect something, like a confirmation of the Pokeball item. We got Wii Fit Trainer's ***.
Honorable mention: Luigi's reveal. Every other character revealed during a direct got some sort of trailer. (even if it was brief in Sonic's case.) Luigi was just sort of; "Oh yeah year of Luigi you all know this guy would have been in anyway but les show him now kthnx." Maybe it's cause I'm biased and would have liked to have seen a different veteran revealed in his place, but his reveal was rather anti-climatic, and if he ends up being hidden, it would have seemed extremely pointless. Why use Year of Luigi to promote a character we all know is going to be in a game that isn't even being released during the Year of Luigi?
I think Sakurai said Luigi IS hidden, Luigi didn't get a trailer because he is a veteran, Sonic got that cheap trailer because he is 3rd party, I bet some of the characters revealed are also hidden

bilbo43

Smash Cadet
Most Hype: The pokemon reveals for the april direct, particularly greninja. I was almost in tears with excitement watching the trailer, and it only made the excitement of the reveals so much better. I fell bad for the mewtwo fans who felt that he was a guaranteed announcement when Greninja was in the shadows but I am so much more happier Greninja was announced compared to Mewtwo in the trailer, it just made it so much better to be excited about. XD

Most Deflating: This is still going on but the characters we knew were going to be revealed or are going to be revealed but has taken so long to do so, where there was no reason to hold them back for the whole time. Everyone knows that Captain Falcon and Meta Knight etc are going to be revealed, yet they are being held off from being revealed for whatever reason haha

edit: I forgot to mention yoshi. He should have been revealed in the original E3 announcement, yet wasn't shown until a few months ago. Nothing has really changed about him but his stance, which I dont think is really worthy of holding him back for so long.

Last edited:

Xenigma

Smash Lord
NNID
Xenigma
It seems fitting that, for me at least, the Smash Direct was home to many of the best (and the one worst) moments of the past year of Smash reveals. Such a great event; I'm not entirely sure how E3 could hope to live up to it unless there are several amazing newcomer reveals in the mix.

Most Hype Moment - Isaac Surviving the Assist Trophy Massacre
Man, that rapid fire display of Assist Trophies had me on the edge of my seat. Seeing some dozen characters all be knocked down, including fan favorites like Midna and Saki, had me all sorts of worried with each passing reveal that Isaac was going to be next and the dream would be dead. Then it ended and, lo and behold, the dream was all too alive. It's not as direct as simply getting a newcomer I'm really excited about, but man, did it leave me extremely hyped.
Runner-Up - Rosalina's Reveal - Seeing my brother's favorite Nintendo character make it into Smash despite my strong doubts was an extremely special moment for me, even if I'm nowhere near as much a fan of hers.

Least Hype Moment - Ridley's Shadow
C'mon, Sakurai. You've spent months and months teasing one of the most fan-requested Smash newcomers with Pyrosphere, and then in the Direct you go so far as to show off his shadow and yet still leave his fate completely in the air. It was an extremely deflating moment, even as someone who doesn't much care for the purple space dragon, just because it was a horrible way to handle such a popular character. Now Ridley's devolved to being an even more contentious topic than it before, and that's saying a lot. Here's hoping this is building up for a surprise E3 reveal as a playable character and isn't just a terrible promotional misstep.
Runner-Up - That Brief Moment where ZSS Was Deconfirmed - It was rectified a moment later, but for that one moment I was just staring at my screen baffled as to why Sakurai would cut her and, perhaps more confusingly, why be so up-front about it? Was happy to breath a sigh of relief once it turned out to be another blatant troll in a Direct full of them.

chronomantic

Smash Ace
-Most Hype Moment
The Direct. We got tons of new information in a 40 mins video. New stages, gameplay, footage, new characters, new items. What's not to love? this next E3 could beat that. Exciting.

-Least Hype Moment
3ds being released first than the WiiU version. I know it's a business decision but I dislike how much time, resources and attention the 3ds version has taken off the console version.

oh and Ridley won as the Most Underrated? :laugh:

The Light Music Club

Smash Master
NNID
_TLMC_
3DS FC
0576-6097-0725
Most Hyping Moment:
1. Micaiah wasn't an AT
2. Ike returns

Most Deflating Moment:
1. Ashley is an AT
2. Greninja wasn't Mewtwo
3. Little Mac was upgraded
4. Rosalina got in over Bowser Jr.
5. Megaman over another Capcom character
6. Wii Fit Trainer

(Have I mentioned how much I don't like this roster?)

「 Derk 」

4th times the charm...
NNID
D3RK-SSB4
Switch FC
SW-6389-5985-3965
Most Hype Moment:
Giving Zelda her phantom slash move and the announcement of Rosalina.

Most Deflating Moment:
Losing Sheik transformation in the process. It was well worth the trade to give new moves to both characters though.

Smasher 101

Smash Lord
3DS FC
0877-3649-6314
Switch FC
SW-7628-2111-0913
Most Hyping Moment: Villager

No change here. He's still the newcomer I'm most excited to try out.

Honorable Mentions:
Mega Man and Little Mac (both were also excellent character choices)
Ike and Lucario (two veterans in danger that I really wanted to see return, and I'm extremely happy they did)
Marth (...yeah he had absolutely no chance of leaving, but still, it was nice to see my main, especially since I didn't expect him to get confirmed when he did)

Most Deflating Moment: Ridley's Shadow

Ugh. I just hope we get an answer at E3. Good or bad I'm ready for the confusion to end.

Honorable Mentions:
Wii Fit Trainer (I still don't care much for her inclusion)
Rosalina (She seems interesting to play as but I don't really like her as a character and I would have preferred Bowser Jr. or Toad)
Saki, Starfy, and Meowth (three characters I supported. I didn't think any of them were at all likely, but it was still sad to see them get deconfirmed)

D

Deleted member

Well, thanks for verifying me! When people did include two votes rather than choosing one, I did take both; also, I think I may have changed some "Rhythm Heaven Character" votes into ones for Chorus Men. Still, we got the same ones on top and that's all that really matters.

Will you be doing this day's results throughout the day as well? If so, I'll just go with your tallies instead of taking them too.
Honestly, I only took the first character/concept that they said. For example, someone said "Chibi-Robo & Bowser Jr." as their most overrated, I only counted Chibi-Robo as he was the first choice.
I'll keep the tallies for you for today as well!

Most Hyping
Little Mac
He still has the best trailer out of all of them. It was gloriously done and it captured his character and his series beautifully. This was the confirmation of my second most wanted newcomer (he's behind Shulk of course) and the way it was handled was absolutely perfect. Little Mac as a character in Smash is also spot-on; his terrible aerial game and amazing ground game, his directional attacks, the fact that he has super armor. It captures the essence of not only Little Mac, a character who is determined to overcome the odds, but also a boxer. He is by far the best newcomer that we've seen thus far in my opinion.

Sonic's Return
Mega Man? Yeah, you're cool. I'm glad that the Blue Bomber is in... BUT WHAT ABOUT THE BLUE BLUR?! When he was revealed... well, I will tell you my reactions:
Iwata: Speaking of Sonic, we have one more announcement...
Me: Oh cool! I bet it's more Sonic Lost World stuff-
Iwata: We have received footage from a certain someone. Please take a look.
Me: No! No way! You're kidding me! You're joking!
*gameplay of Mario and Mega Man starts*
Me: Oh my god! It's happening again?!
*Sonic appears*
Me: OH MY GOD! SONIC! SONIC! SONIC! YES! YES! YES! SONIC!

I could give less of a damn if Snake was cut. Sonic's return was absolutely critical to me. Without Sonic, the roster would be incomplete to me. Sure, I'm not entirely satisfied with his moveset, but Sonic is a great character. I've grown up with Sonic and he will remain my most wanted 3rd party for every Smash game. I missed out on the Adventure games... but when I finally played them, my fandom for him was reinvigorated. I'm glad that Sakurai did not commit the crime of cutting Sonic... this was the cut that I was the most worried about!

The Gematsu Leak: Part 2
I didn't think much about the Gematsu Leak before. I thought, "Oh cool! It might hint at Little Mac... but ehh." Then... the second batch of characters contained Shulk, my most wanted newcomer. When I heard this, my interest in it peaked. I honestly see the leak go at 50/50 (though I'm leaning more towards real), but I will take all of those characters (including the dreadful Miis) just so that I can have Shulk be playable in Smash.

The Smash Bros. Direct
Honestly, this was done amazingly. There was an amazing charm that is lacking from many Nintendo Directs. It was funny how Sakurai said, "No. I'm not dead yet." He is addressing his chronic tendonitis and assures his fans that he's alright... and yet he gives some humor to it. With all of the content that was shown, it was incredibly exciting! I was intrigued by every stage getting a Final Destination version, better online, and Smash Run. I'm not even complaining about how the Direct helped out Shulk, Bandana Dee, and King K. Rool in a way! My main beefs with it are that Luigi wasn't given a section when he was talking about the veterans (I want to see his changes!), the 3DS version is coming before the Wii U version, and I preferred that a different newcomer was revealed over Greninja. I like Greninja and I like its reveal and trailer, but I honestly rather have someone else get confirmed... such as the obvious Palutena. I was overjoyed with what we got during the Direct as a whole.

This Thread
This thread is the main reason why I made an account in the first place! I'm sorry that my first post wasn't in the old thread, but it was just a fantastic experience. It still is to this day with discussing various concepts and characters. I enjoyed starting the day twice, seeing Hades and his antics, ripping on characters like Cloud Strife and Sora, and making absolutely gigantic posts for characters like Shulk (I still have that post in a word document!). Honestly, this thread has helped me with my hype and it's an incredible journey. I like that both of the game's releases are coming soon... but I'll be upset when they release, that means that the game is over. :(

However, my most hyping moment still is...
Luigi's Reveal
Luigi is an obvious veteran, I know this. He had no chance of getting cut. However, I hated how I had to wait until the game was released in Japan just to know what he was like in Brawl. I mean... waiting for two years just to see your favorite video game character of all-time and your main is pretty brutal. Then, there was the amazing moment where Iwata showed screenshots of Luigi in this game during the August Direct! The wait for this game was less painful and I became more interested in this game. If Luigi wasn't revealed, I probably wouldn't care about it as much.
Give me a glorious trailer with Shulk, Little Mac, Bandana Dee, and King K. Rool, but they wouldn't excite me as they would be seeing my favorite character, Luigi.
Oh! And Luigi is currently helping me go through the waiting process! My birthday is actually on June 10 and I probably won't get Mario Kart 8 until then... but those Luigi Death Stare videos are absolutely glorious! Thank you, Luigi!

Most Deflating
Character Droughts
It was painful in March because we didn't get a single character. I like that Yoshi finally got confirmed during the Direct, but he should have been revealed in March. I like how he stands up more, but that shouldn't warrant him to be the major veteran reveal... especially when his changes weren't drastic. It was also painful in October, especially when no one got revealed for X and Y's release. It honestly ticked me off and upset me.

Pic of the Day
I desperately miss the old Dojo during Pre-Brawl. Every single post was informative and we got a ton of newcomers along the way. Now... we have to wait every two months just to see one newcomer. If we don't get more than one at E3, I would honestly be ticked. It's absolutely inferior as it's just one pic that may be informative or may be filler. There is not much to look forward to at all when all things are considered. This thread has hyped me more than the Pics of the Day have. Ugh... Dojo, I miss you. :(

Shulk vs. Isaac Wars
Honestly, I hate these wars as both sides should remain civil and respect one's opinion. But, when barbed wires are thrown, especially in each others support threads, it honestly makes me very bitter. It has got so bad to the point where I hate Isaac within every fiber of my body. I've heard good things about Golden Sun, but I don't feel like playing it now after all of this... I eventually will, but I'm just not in the mood to thanks to these wars.

Toon Link's Reveal
He was my top cut. I wanted him gone due to how much of a clone he was and that he was a waste of a roster slot. When he got revealed, I remember my reaction being, "Huh? Really? Huh? OK? Really?" It doesn't help that nothing looks like it has changed. He is still a very boring clone.

Sakurai's Arms
The poor man is suffering and I admire the work that he's putting in. He really needs to take a break after when these games are released. The worst that I've seen came from after the Direct. I know that a lot of people were ticked off due to Ridley's shadow being shown (thus hinting that he is probably a stage hazard), but the worst came from a comment that I saw. I remember seeing one Ridley supporter say that they hope that Sakurai's chronic tendonitis move faster just because of Ridley potentially being a stage hazard. I understand that you want Ridley, but don't go to extremes and wish the man pain! What's wrong with you?!

I said this was an honorable mention before... but my most deflating moment comes from...
Rosalina & Luma Reveal
I'm not gonna say anything further. You know why I don't like this reveal and how I started to hate Rosalina after the Direct. I have nothing more to add.
I gave this to the Shulk leak before... but the fact that I am still complaining about this after her reveal in December has got to mean something.

So, in summary, my moments are like this:

Last edited by a moderator:

GloriousV

Smash Cadet
Most Hype moment: I had to think about this one carefully because most of what I have seen about Smash 4 has gotten me hype. Eventually I decided that the hypest thing for me was Ike's reveal.

The reason this got me so hype above all else was because even though this was one of my mains in brawl, I had already accepted the big probability of him being replaced by another Fire Emblem character. To my surprised when I woke up on the morning of the reveal and saw the miiverse post, I was ecstatic to see him there, I couldn't be happier that my man Ike was back for Smash 4.

Most Deflating moment: Like I said above, most of what has been revealed for smash has gotten me hype so is hard to really think of something that I didn't like. One thing that did bum me out a bit was Final Destination Only in For Glory mode. I do like the fact that Nintendo has taken into consideration the competitive aspects of Smash Bros, but I feel they didn't dig deep enough into the competitive scene to realize that Final Destination is not the only stage competitive player like to play on.

SethTheMage

Smash Ace
NNID
SethTheMage
God, E3 is so close, I can barely wait.

Most hype moment: Easily the Rosalina reveal. She was my most wanted Mario newcomer, and nobody was expecting her. I remember the amount of hatred she got (and still gets), and how easily she was brushed aside in favor of characters like Toad, Bowser Jr. and Paper Mario. Daring to even mention her as a possibility at GameFAQs would result in ridicule and flame wars (users like GodessRosalina didn't help). This reveal took everyone completely by surprise and revived my hype for the game in full force after a long 6-month newcomer drought. After her reveal, we started getting newcomer reveals every two months, and the game news started chugging along at a faster pace.

Most deflating moment: I haven't had much disappointment from the game so far, but I guess I'd have to say the post E3 newcomer drought. It seemed like it took forever to get the ball rolling. Speculation was stagnant, news was coming at a slow pace, and everyone was anxious about who the newcomers would be. Most of the veteran reveals got little more than an "Oh, good. That character's returning" out of me because none of them were my mains. Then, once Rosalina got revealed, things picked up again.

Honorable mention goes to the lack of a Diddy and Dixie reveal in the February Direct. I remember how everyone was hyping it up. Valantine's Day, the release of Tropical Freeze in Japan, Sakurai's Miiverse post about the Direct and Valentine's Day; the moment seemed perfect. We know now that transformation characters are separate this time around, but at the time I saw the possibility that I was going to get my most wanted newcomer in one way or the other. I guess I was desperate.

Last edited:

Xenigma

Smash Lord
NNID
Xenigma
Most Hype moment: I had to think about this one carefully because most of what I have seen about Smash 4 has gotten me hype. Eventually I decided that the hypest thing for me was Ike's reveal.

The reason this got me so hype above all else was because even though this was one of my mains in brawl, I had already accepted the big probability of him being replaced by another Fire Emblem character. To my surprised when I woke up on the morning of the reveal and saw the miiverse post, I was ecstatic to see him there, I couldn't be happier that my man Ike was back for Smash 4.
Y'know, this reminds me of my other big hype moment that is so long ago now that I'd more or less forgotten about it: Toon Link's reveal. Seemingly everyone was counting him out thanks to the Spirit Tracks stage or at the very least considered him to be the among the least likely Brawl veterans to return. Considering he's my Brawl main and one of my favorite Nintendo characters ever, that sucked. Having him ultimately be revealed so early was a huge surprise that not only ensured I'd have at least one personal favorite on the roster but also, thanks to being both on a stage and playable, really seemed to say that anything could happen with this new Smash. That was flat out exciting in a way that few reveals since have been able to stand up to.

Morbi

Scavenger
Most Hyping Moment: Toon Link's reveal.

I make it very overt that I was one of his only supporters on Smashboards pre-reveal for a reason (well another reason is that I am a pretentious douche-bag). It meant a lot to me, my logic was apparently rational and it was a very personal moment as I was one of the only people who could objectively assert that I was correct for the right reasons. It was not just a lucky guess.

Most Deflating Moment: No Pokemon reveal during X and Y.

There were no other deflating moments that I could think of to be perfectly honest.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom