• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Rate Their Chances: GAME OVER! Join the RTC Social Group Today!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Burigu

Smash Ace
Toad is physically in pictures as a move. Lip's stick is an item Lip would use to attack.
However, what you may be forgetting is, Panel De Pon isn't a fighting game where you give opponents damage.
It's a puzzle game, and it's used completely differently. Like:

Credit for above goes to the Lip support thread

Now, what's wrong with Lip's Stick as an item and her holding a redesigned one?
Sword characters hold the beam sword, and while that's a bit different as it doesn't have their names in the item, it shows that she's not deconfirmed but her chances are lowered.
Hi I have seen you a lot in the same topics I visit

I have to say that those gifts are quite good, like I said in my previous post the Stick is such an iconic part of her, almost all of the images on the internet for her she has the stick, I agree with you about the new stick for her, like they do with Palutena's bow for Pit, still don't sure that is likely.

I know she is not for a fighting game still for the among of attacks in the game I am sure she would use it to hit directly with it at some point.

In my personal opinion if she is to appear she must have a stick, I can see lots of potencial if Lip's stick is exclusive to her, with the same effect for melee combat and the ones you put above for variety, that would be really great if not it's like Dedede without his hammer or Link without the Master Sword.

I like her still it's hard to belive they will go the new stick route like with Pit since Pit's old bow doesn't appear as an item for example, I would think the same way if for example they reveal Palutena's staff or Mirror Shield as items, and clearly I like her a lot.

Glad we could interchange opinions lots of people only use bias as their arguments

Last edited:

Erimir

Smash Lord
3DS FC
3823-8583-9137
Chrom

+++ Protagonist of Awakening, which was one of the best selling entries in the series
+ Part of the Gematsu leak
+ He's quite popular
+ His thing isn't imitating Marth like Lucina (why aren't we rating her too?)
+ Fire Emblem gives more priority to more recent characters, like Pokemon

- He's another sword-wielding FE character... and another male, blue-haired, lord at that. Just conceptually, he's boring. Ugh, imagining a lineup of Marth, Ike and Chrom already annoys me. Can't the people at IS come up with something different?
- He'd have less interesting moveset potential than a couple of the other plausible FE candidates.

To be honest, IMO muh recency is all he has going for him. He's not appealing to me, but recency is important in FE so we'll get this lackluster candidate most likely instead of someone who's more different from previous FE characters. On the other hand, I think Ike supporters should be a little bit more worried about Chrom taking his space. If Chrom gets in, Ike would be a third, blue-haired lord... so maybe he'd be gone like Roy?

I wish they had a little bit more diversity in these games. Even with fantasy hair colors they still make them all the same. How about some black or brown people who aren't Ganondorf sometime?

Chrom chance: 75%
After a brief bit of Robin madness (brought upon by how much more appealing s/he'd be than Chrom), I've come back to recognizing Chrom is just the next in line because FE is boring.

Chrom want: 0%
My want for him has plummeted though. I'm sure he's relatively appealing in his personality, but the prospect of three extremely similar looking characters annoys me. It'd be like the spacies, except they look even more similar. At least they wouldn't be moveset clones.

Robin

+ Also a protagonist of Awakening, of sorts. Very different role in the story though.
+ S/he has very different moveset potential from all previous FE reps
+ S/he can be made female, to increase female representation
+ S/he is decently popular

- S/he's more generic than Chrom in a way (less generic than Chrom in others)
- S/he's not used to promote the game as much

Robin chance: 17%
I think s/he's the second most likely FE rep. Probably followed by Lucina.

Robin want: 48%
I'd personally be fine with no Fire Emblem newcomer. But if we must have one, Robin is probably my pick.

Prediction:
Isaac - 42%
Ray - 16%
I expect both to be slightly boosted by the fall of their AT competition. But I also expect some pessimism, thus limiting the boost, partly due to the Gematsu leak.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Chrom

Chance: 90%

+ Melee had Roy to promote The Binding Blade (or The Sword of Seals, if you prefer), Brawl had Ike because Radiant Dawn was the newest Fire Emblem at the time, and guess who makes sense to appear in Smash 4 because he's the MAIN CHARACTER of Awakening.
-- That other 10% of me is sure that Sora/Namco Bandai just chose Marth and called it a day.

Want: 70%

Aside from being "just another sword character," Chrom could have some moves based on Awakening's team mechanics. Imagine Lucina or Robin joining Chrom for his Final Smash similar to Mega Man and his "famous co-stars," or one of them being summoned for one of his specials similar to Zelda's Phantom.

Robin

Chance: 10%

-- Not even being the MAIN CHARACTER of Awakening, he most likely won't join the roster...
+ ...unless there is enough development time and budget for a third Fire Emblem character...
-- ...but if there were, Ike and even Roy seem more likely than Robin, both of which are fan favorites.

Want: 50%

I'm indifferent.

Predictions

Issac: 50%
Ray: 30%

Last edited by a moderator:

andimidna

Smash Master
Chrom:
Ehh... I prefer the team of Chrom and Lucina...
Well, not much has changed in his chances. I've always said he has an 80% chance.
-Despite being hated here, he is the most popular Awakening character in the West (Japan's is Lucina)
-Main Lord of most recent game, Awakening
-Awakening is almost definitely getting a character due to FE being revived, Arena Ferox as a stage, and:
-Fire Emblem is almost definitely getting at least 3 characters. There were 2 in Melee when it was a Japan-only series with like 5 or 6 games, 3 were planned for Brawl, and now it's a revived series with 13 games, some being world-wide, and a crossover coming soon. (assuming Ike is back)
Because I'm skeptical on the Miis now, I'm skeptical on the leak.
Chorus Men is also a very odd choice...
But I guess I'll give him a 3% increase because of it...
Chance: 83%
And for my want... well...
I just want him to be unique. That's all I ask. I prefer the team, and I think it makes much more sense than people give it credit... it includes the daughter lord that's the more popular of the 2 in Japan and can represent a prevalent combat system in Awakening. And would basically guarantee a more unique Chrom. I'm hoping that team or not, he has a stance based moveset. I do like Chrom though, so despite not really wanting to fight as him alone... I'll give him a want I think he deserves.
Want: 67%
Robin:
Chance: 50%
I think it's 50/50
It's funny how I was complaining that Robin's chance was way to close to Chrom's, and then I give Robin a chance like 20% higher than his current score :p
I'm one of the few people who firmly believe there will be 4 Fire Emblem characters
And I think the chance of him making it and not making it is the same. And I think his only competition is Anna.
And I hope Robin or Anna make that spot.
Want: 67%
Same has solo Chrom, he has a lot of possibilities, but I'm not specifically fond of the characters.
I'd rather see Anna over both of these, honestly.
Also, RIP Tiki <3

Oblivion129

Smash Lord
NNID
Oblivion129
3DS FC
1821-9773-2413
Chrom:
Chance: 85%
The lord of the newest FE game, Arena Ferox + appearing in the Sal leak.
Want: 100%
My most wanted newcomer. A good leader and an inspiration to me.
Plus I like sword wielders and blue hair. Yes, I'd really like to see Ike, Chrom, Lucina and go ahead and add in Hector with a sword as well. ;)

Robin:
Chance: 50%
The character you control. He/she's very important to the plot.
I don't like using avatar characters so much. People say he/she has better moveset potential but really, anybody has moveset potential. Would still be a cool character to play as.

Predictions:
Isaac: 40%
+ Hasn't been shown as an AT.
- Isn't as popular as before so Sakurai would really need to like him to add him before other characters like Shulk.
Ray: 40%
Same as Isaac.

Erimir

Smash Lord
3DS FC
3823-8583-9137
I'm one of the few people who firmly believe there will be 4 Fire Emblem characters
Why would we get 4 Fire Emblem characters?

I think roster space is starting to get tight, and much bigger (and more deserving, IMO) series are still sitting at 2 characters (DK, Metroid), and other larger series could get 4th characters too (Kirby, Star Fox). And if Sakurai puts in more new series (Pac-Man, Mii, Rhythm Heaven, Xenoblade, Takamaru, Golden Sun, Advance Wars), then it's even more crowded. Yoshi and Wario both have over twice as many sales and only one character, as well...

Personally, I would be very irritated to see Fire Emblem get more characters than Donkey Kong. Donkey Kong Country Returns sold more copies than the last 8 Fire Emblem games combined. I'm not even that into Kirby, but I'd be offended on their behalf if FE got 4 reps before Kirby.

I understand you like the games, but if you're not a fan, it's really hard to see it as being one of Nintendo's biggest and most important series... Yeah, Awakening has revitalized it, but remember that just before it was almost abandoned altogether.

Rockaphin

Smash Champion
NNID
Rockaphin
3DS FC
2595-0113-8473
Chrom:
Chance: 85%
Want: 70%
There are a couple of FE characters that I'd rather see, but Chrom would be a good choice.

Robin:
Chance: 35%
Want: 90%
As long as all the different avatars appear. This would be my favorite FE character. I actually like avatar characters.

Last edited:

colder_than_ice

Smash Lord
The popularity chart has been updated but nothing has changed.

Chrom
Chance: 63% - I'm lowering my score for him by about 20%. Chrom is the star of the FE's most successful game and would be the ideal hero to represent the next generation of the franchise. There are two scenarios that I feel could hurt his chances: the first is for Fire Emblem to wind up with only two reps (he'll have to compete with the already popular Ike), the other is if Sakurai decides that FE absolutely needs something radically different.
Want: 100% - He's my most wanted first party newcomer. The bandwagon hate will fade quickly if he becomes playable. :)

Robin
Chance: 32% - He/she seems to be the ideal choice for a more unique FE rep. I feel that being an Avatar character hurts his/her chances a lot more then it did for the villager who's character never relied on nearly as much aesthetic customization to begin with.
Want: 90% - I may prefer Chrom, but I will still love Robin.

Last edited:

Pacack

Super Pac-Fan
NNID
Pacack
3DS FC
0688-5284-6845
Chrom:

Chance: 40%
I honestly don't think he's nearly as likely as he's made out to be. I just don't see IS recommending him to Sakurai, since it would make their series look bad.

Also keep in mind that Sakurai was hesitant about adding Leif because he might be similar to Marth in Melee, choosing instead to use Roy.

If he thought these guys were too similar, then I would be very worried for Chrom.

Want: 10%
I like sword users, but practically anything he can do is done better by another character.

Robin:

Chance: 57%
I'm actually very confident in Robin. The only negative left against her is the fact that she has Chrom to deal with. Wii Fit Trainer shows that two genders is no issue, and Rosalina shows that a character may be chosen over another because of uniqueness.

Want: 95%
One of my more wanted characters. I love sword users and magic users, so seeing them combined sounds awesome.

Last edited:

ZcK

Smash Cadet
NNID
Calamardo
Chrom
Chance: 80%
If there were to be a new FE rep added, he seems like the most logical choice. Also he is the most well-known character of the new game.
I don´t see where all the hate comes from, he is a very likable character and a not so generic hero-like character. Tough creating a moveset without it being too similar with the other FE characters could be hard if not out of place.
Robin
Chance: 40%
I just don´t see him making it to the game.
There´s not any particular or relevant reason to chose him over Chrom.
Having a character other than a swordsman from FE may be quite interesting to play with.

FalKoopa

Rainbow Waifu
BRoomer
3DS FC
1650-3685-3998
Switch FC
SW-5545-7990-4793
Okay.
Chrom: 60%
As stated before, he's the lord of the game that saved the franchise. He rides on the wave of Awakening's success, and seems to be the best contender for the 3rd FE spot.

Want: 40%
Eh.

Robin: 25%
A dark horse candidate for a Fire Emblem newcomer. His uniqueness helps, as does the fact the avatar characters and having both male and female alts are not obstacles at all.

My preferred choice for a Fire Emblem newcomer.

Erimir

Smash Lord
3DS FC
3823-8583-9137
Rosalina shows that a character may be chosen over another because of uniqueness.
In fairness, we can't know if moveset uniqueness was the reason Sakurai picked Rosalina over Bowser Jr or Waluigi, etc. It might be that he didn't like those other characters for whatever reason, or he thought she was more important, or Nintendo suggested it because they have more big plans for her (basically making her another female regular in the main series), etc. It could also be a combination of those factors.

YoshiandToad

Smash Hero
Chrom:
Chance: 60%
Poster child for Awakening, next in line main character status(sort of), etc. If it's for series sales, popularity, etc, Chrom is the more popular Awakening character in the west(no surprise, he's a little similar to Ike) whilst Lucina, his daughter, is the more popular Awakening character in Japan(no surprise, she's a genderbent Marth).

Want: 1%
The problem is, like Erimir said; he is conceptually dull and redundant. Should Ike return, Chrom's niche will literally be a half way point between Marth and Ike.

Within the context of Awakening itself, he's a fine character, but when you put him side by side with Marth and Ike in a fighting game he comes off as a rather dull addition because he is at best semi clone material. Marth literally has the same sword already in his hand, which makes Chrom more pointless than even the often berated Roy, whose sword at least has unique properties(like setting alight, sealing opponents, healing him, etc).

Pacack's point about Lief and Marth seeming too similar is a good reason for me to want to avoid a notoriously dull Marth-Chrom-Ike lineup, but I don't think it'll affect the chances given how popular Chrom is worldwide now.

Robin
Chance: 35%
Dark horse candidate, but one that's far more worthwhile in terms of variety. Able to use magic as well as a sword, Robin represents a side of Fire Emblem previously unseen within Smash; AKA All of it except sword wielding lords. Robin represents tactics, magic, avatars(of which s/he's not the first) as well as arguably villains. This is spoilt in the first ten seconds of the game, so I'm not gonna hide it here.

Want: 85%
Something other than ANOTHER blue haired sword lord wielding the Falchion is literally all I want. Hell, I'll take Roy back in an instant to avoid this outcome or even Anna.
Robin, however, has the most merits; s/he is the tritagonist of Awakening, meaning s/he shares the lead role with two others(that's right; the actual plot revolves more around Robin than Chrom, that 'main character' thing is a load of babble), is visually different, can offer something on top of tried and tested swordplay and can easily come with a gender costume adding yet more variety to the Fire Emblem cast.

Predictions:
Isaac: 45%
No AT show, but he was an unlockable AT in Brawl...his GBA title is doing REALLY well in the VC over in Japan, showing he does still have a fanbase amongst them...but Sakurai wouldn't have known how popular Isaac was over there until very recently. The west REALLY wants him though, and after Little Mac he was by far the best candidate for playable status...let's see what happens.

Ray: 20%
Won't do as well as Isaac, but still will do better than he would pre-direct.

Pacack

Super Pac-Fan
NNID
Pacack
3DS FC
0688-5284-6845
In fairness, we can't know if moveset uniqueness was the reason Sakurai picked Rosalina over Bowser Jr or Waluigi, etc. It might be that he didn't like those other characters for whatever reason, or he thought she was more important, or Nintendo suggested it because they have more big plans for her (basically making her another female regular in the main series), etc. It could also be a combination of those factors.
Definitely possible. If I'm honest, I'm not sure which is the case.

andimidna

Smash Master
Why would we get 4 Fire Emblem characters?

I think roster space is starting to get tight, and much bigger (and more deserving, IMO) series are still sitting at 2 characters (DK, Metroid), and other larger series could get 4th characters too (Kirby, Star Fox). And if Sakurai puts in more new series (Pac-Man, Mii, Rhythm Heaven, Xenoblade, Takamaru, Golden Sun, Advance Wars), then it's even more crowded. Yoshi and Wario both have over twice as many sales and only one character, as well...

Personally, I would be very irritated to see Fire Emblem get more characters than Donkey Kong. Donkey Kong Country Returns sold more copies than the last 8 Fire Emblem games combined. I'm not even that into Kirby, but I'd be offended on their behalf if FE got 4 reps before Kirby.

I understand you like the games, but if you're not a fan, it's really hard to see it as being one of Nintendo's biggest and most important series... Yeah, Awakening has revitalized it, but remember that just before it was almost abandoned altogether.
The difference between all of those series and Fire Emblem is the immense pool of diverse characters that could be taken from Fire Emblem.
It's not like Mario where you have to have the main 4 and add on from there, or for Zelda where you have to have the main 3 and add on from there. There's a new main character every game (except when there's not :p) and some of them are very popular: Marth, Roy, Lyn, Ike, Chrom, Lucina. If Sakurai decides the amount of characters per series by sales, then I'll be irritated/offended. That's not a good way to make a good roster.
I'm pulling for DK getting 4 characters as well as Fire Emblem. But for Metroid, there just isn't a 4th character left that has earned Smash Bros.
Samus, Zero Suit Samus, and Ridley. Dark Samus could have been that 4th, but I think 3 Metroid reps named Samus would have been too much, and she's an assist. There really isn't a good 4th choice IMO. Where as for Fire Emblem, not only do you have those lords, but there are other protagonists that are very important to the series. Like "My Unit/Avatar/Tactician/Robin". I'm pretty sure he's a part of every Fire Emblem game. I don't see how he wouldn't be... He commands all of the fighters with tactics... and that's a very important part of Fire Emblem. He's you. And could be considered the main character of the series easily. And there's Anna, who is sometimes considered the mascot of the series, being in every game as well (except Gaiden but nobody cares about that :p), and is put into various roles fitting any character-type the developers want her to be. Throughout the series... She can help you create your avatar, she can help you suspend your game, is a merchant, was in a tutorial mode as a Pegasus Knight... and more. But in Awakening, she made her debut as a playable unit. And a theif/lance based moveset is something I'd personally love to see. Not to mention as a merchant, she has access to every item. She's kind of like Cranky Kong in a way...
And in Awakening, because she had sister duplicates, she was both a playable unit and a merchant.
And I didn't even go in-depth on the lords... Marth is the face of Fire Emblem being the lord more times than any other, Roy is a popular character who was in Melee intended to return in Brawl, Chrom is the new lord and is extremely likely, Lucina is also a new lord and is very popular in Japan, and even Leif is somewhat deserving as he's the only recurring lord that hasn't made it. He wasn't a lord in his other appearance, but it was still another appearance, and he is still known for being a lord.
Most Nintendo series have 1 set main character always. Fire Emblem is a lot like Pokemon. And a lot of people right now are saying Pokemon should have 6 reps (while Mario should stay at 5). Why? Same reasons. The amount of deserving characters. Both Jigglypuff and Mewtwo need to return in my eyes. And even though I think this means it may be likely that we'll get another Mario character, nobody I've said that to has agreed with me so far.
Seems like most people think that despite Pokemon being smaller than Mario, it's OK for it to have more characters.
- Fire Emblem having equal characters to DK, and more characters than Metroid, Kirby, and Starfox by 1
-Pokemon having more characters than Mario
Which of these 2 would stand out more on a roster to you? For me it's the 2nd, as the main 3 series are the most noticeable to me on any roster, and, while some may not know how important those series listed in the 1st are compared to each other, everybody knows Mario is Nintendo's biggest series, not Pokemon.
I think it's perfectly justifiable. And I think it's likelihood may be higher than you give it credit. There were supposed to be 3 in Brawl, which would be equal to Starfox and Kirby and more than DK and Metroid.
And even though before Awakening things were looking bad for the series, it already has future plans (SMT crossover), so I'm not worried they're just going to stop making Fire Emblem games now. I don't think that's what regularly happens after a series has their most successful game.

Disclaimer: I can't believe I wrote so much. I don't even want to re-read this to check for mistakes. Sorry if it's a mess.

SmasherMaster

Smash Lord
NNID
TelevisionGamer
Chrom

Chance: 60%
He is the most recent lord and there have been hints for an Awakening character.

Want: 1%
If he was completely different from Marth and Ike, then I would not mind. I just prefer other Fire Emblem chaacters like Lyn (rip), Tiki (rip), Anna, and Robin.

Robin

Chance: 30%
Is the other main character of Awakening. Plus, I think Sakurai has been adding much more unique fighters, as opposed to the ones that are much more important to the series (Rosalina over Toad, Bowser Jr and Paper Mario, Greninja over Meowth, Eevee and Mewtwo, Wii Fit Trainer over everybody)

My favorite choice for a Fire Emblem newcomer.

Last edited:

Miffa

The Money Man
NNID
DeanMiffa
Chrom
Chance: 70% Most recent FE lord so i can see him as likely
Want: 50% Im neutral
Robin
Chance: 10% Cant see it i belive Chrom will be the one
Want: 50% Also Neutral.

Smasher 101

Smash Lord
3DS FC
0877-3649-6314
Switch FC
SW-7628-2111-0913
Chrom's chances: 50% - I now think he is the most likely new Fire Emblem character.
Want: 90% - I'm one of the few people here that hopes that he's in.

Robin's chances: 15% - More than I'll give Lucina. It's possible that they get in over Chrom if there is a new Fire Emblem character, but I doubt it.
Want: 30% - Honestly? This is actually my least favorite of the Awakening trio by far. Wouldn't mind too much though.

Isaac prediction: 42.39%
Ray prediction: 15.49% - Small boosts for each of them.

Last edited:

Arcanir

An old friend evolved
NNID
Shoryu91
3DS FC
4253-4855-5860
Chrom
Chances: 80%
Awakening is the most successful game in the franchise, finally hitting that one million mark and saving the franchise from having the plug pulled. It's also getting representation in the game as well via Arena Ferox, so a character is definitely in the cards. As for which one, I honestly think it'll be Chrom. Chrom is the posterboy for the game and (at least in that fanbase) pretty popular as well. Plus, due to those same reasons, he seems like the type of character IS would suggest to Sakurai. Due to that, I honestly think he's the most likely of the three characters.

I really don't mind either way.

Robin
Chances: 25%
Robin is another character that hails from Awakening. They're one of the main characters as well, and to their benefit, they're a part of a new mechanic utilizing a custom-made avatar for the game. The problem is that IS doesn't really push them unlike Chrom, so I don't think they'll be given that much priority.

Want: 30%
While I do like what they can do, I'm not that fond of the character.

The Light Music Club

Smash Master
NNID
_TLMC_
3DS FC
0576-6097-0725
Google Chrome:
Chances: 45% He doesn't fit in too well, and I don't believe in that leak. He's redundant and is just Marth and Ike's child.

Want: 0% There are many better Fire Emblem choices. I prefer Firefox anyway.

Robin

Chances: 50% I think that IS wouldn't push Awakening when the cast was forming at first because they weren't sure if it would save the series or not. With Greninja, Pokemon knew that X and Y would be hits anyways so they pushed him. I don't know if they would push an Awakening Character. Maybe I'm being bias towards the RD duo I love so much (Ike and Micaiah).

Want: 70%- Her female design is just gorgeous imo (It will look amazing on Wii U) and she'd have a fresh play style I think. FE needs some type of female character!!!

Sid-cada

Smash Lord
Chrom

Chance - 30% - I don't really belive in the "leak," so just like Shulk, Mii, and Pac-Man before him it's not really affecting his chances. This really isn't much to say, except that I may have been a bit hard on him before.

Want - 20% - Bleh. I said it once and I'll say it again: "Stahl is a more interesting character to me." Where's Chrom's personal conflict? Where's his struggle? Where's his development as a character? I saw none of that. He's not interesting move set wise either. I mean, if he's paired with Lucina than we know he won't switch out with her, and having her tag around would basically be an Ice Climber repeat. Won't giving him a lance and the Falcheon also be basically a transforming character? He's just so unappealing in my eyes, that many other characters are superior.

Robin

Chance - 40% - Yeah, was a little generous before. I still consider him more likely than Chrom, though.

Want - 50% - Mostly neutral. He's alright, but he's not the be-all-end-all of all interesting Fire Emblem characters. Magic Tombs just aren't interesting in my eyes.

Predictions

Isaac - 36.97% - Surviving the massacres of Assist Trophies seems to give him a bit of a boost.

Ray - 13.25% - Ditto.

Cheezey Bites

Slime Knight
NNID
koske1
3DS FC
4356-0097-9129
Chrom:
He uses a ******* Sword... even if it's technically the same sword Marth uses... how does that work?!

Chance: 70%
Ike shows that a ******* sword is enough difference to not be a Marth clone (unless you're on Miiverse), but if Ike's back I could see them going for something else... The problem is he represents less of the Fire Emblem world than Ike, and only really covers the same as Marth... I think he's likely, but not as high as some call him.

FE:A did sell more than both Ike's games combined, and is more recent... but Ike has the advantage of this game wanting both home console and 3DS content... it's hard to tell which wins out, but I think Chrom is more likely to take Ike's place than the other way round with only a small chance of both appearing as is. The rest of Ike's chance is really down to if we get a different FE:A rep.

Want: 25%
I'd prefer we kept Ike, but he'll do. The ******* Sword's what matters!

Robin:

Chance: 10%
Nothing so far points to Sakurai even considering him, but I guess he's a possibility... He's not the poster boy though, or really part of the marketting, and with Greninja's reveal we know that to be pretty important now-a-days.

Want: 0%
Honestly I think he'd be less interesting than Isaac and would probably take his 'uniqueness' and some of his chance. I'd prefer we kept Marth and Ike.

Isaac: 37.6%
The AT masacre... also the GS VC release will make him fresh in peoples minds... but I don't expect that big a raise.

Ray: 14.4%
Again, slight help, but not being shown as an AT doesn't necessarily mean playable...

Goddamnit... It's a historically accurate term for a hand and a half sword! I'm not swearing!!

Last edited:

Karafuru

Smash Apprentice
Internet is acting weird, so I am posting this for now.

Chrom
-Chance: 40%
See Pacack's post.
-Want: 20%
Only if he is unique

Robin
-Chance: 50%
S/he is the main character after Chapter 13 and becomes central to the plot.
-Want: 100%
S/he would present the world of Fire Emblem not yet seen in Smash. Most people unaware of the series could easily mistake it for a game about swordsman.

Turokman5896

Smash Lord
Chrom: 75% chance. With the tiki trophy, arena ferox, and popularity of awakening, I believe chrom has an excellent chance of getting in. Want: 90% Awakening is my first fe game and I think chrom is an awesome character and a great potential addition. Robin: 10% chance. Chrom just seems more likely and is a bigger rep. Want: 65% I'd prefer chrom, but a potential stance based character has my interest.

MargnetMan23

Smash Lord
Chrom
Chance: 65% I rate the chances of us getting a Fire Emblem Awakening character to be about 95% so no, as ideal as a Marth, Ike, and Roy FE roster might sound to some of you guys I don't think that's happening. I'm debating between 65 and 70 but still, Chrom is the obvious choice from a game I almost guarantee will get character representation. (Hey, Arena Ferox helps.) So yeah, his chances are pretty good.
Want: 20% I played Awakening, Chrom doesn't bother me at all as a character, I kind of like him actually. For Chrom to not feel like a lame addition, Ike would pretty much have to be cut and I don't think most people would appreciate that (I didn't like Ike that much in Brawl for whatever reason so it wouldn't be a big deal for me.) Frankly, as someone who was never a huge fan of any of the FE characters play style wise in Smash (they're alright but definitely not as interesting as they could be) I don't really see how Chrom could be the gamechanger.

Robin
Chance: 35% OK, considering the fact that I don't think Chrom and Robin have a large chance of existing on the same roster and pretty much any other possible FE character takes away from his chances this statistically contradicts myself but **** LOGIC!
But really, considering Sakurai's big uniqueness trend with all of the characters he's revealing, this guy fits right in. He doesn't seem like an obvious choice at first, and as I said earlier counting on weird choices like this guy is not a good strategy but hey, if Sakurai wants an FE character that would bring something REALLY new to the smash cast that isn't a random throwback to an older game or a minor character? This guy is perfect. There's also Anna as well who I wouldn't mind at all but this just makes a bit more sense.
Want: 90% Not only does this guy have the moveset potential to be someone I would actually main (OK not main, but definitely in the upper area of characters I want to use) but... I don't know, he/she just really stands out to me in the list of possible newcomers and I want to see the guy/girl in smash. Do want.

Isaac: 38.65% I guess?
Ray: 14.78% Wynaut?

Bauske

Pac-Maniac
NNID
Bauske
3DS FC
2878-9584-0314
Chrom
Chance: 75% - With the new Gematsu leak and given that we generally have a Fire Emblem rep from the newer games, it makes sense for Chrom to be included.
Want: 80% - I actually would love to have him in the game. You know what my only problem with Chrom is? Marth. That's right, I said it. I don't like Marth and I never really have. I know he's the main Fire Emblem guy since the first one or whatever, but from my own personal experience, I don't know who he is other than what Smash Bros. has taught me. We never got his game in the US. Chrom on the other hand is a ton better. We got to see him in action in Awakening, got to see his struggles and success, and I felt a much deeper connection with the character. But Chrom shares a lot in common with Marth: Blue hair, swordsman, prince. It's just really aggravating knowing two characters could be in the game who so closely resemble one another. If I could cut one Fire Emblem character from Smash, it'd be Marth, but unfortunately, that's not happening. Still, I was really hoping this time around Chrom would replace him.

Robin
Chance: 20% - I feel that if they're going to go with a new FE rep, it's going to be an actual character, not the one you got to design.
Want: 75% - That said, if they did have a customizable character that wasn't the Mii, Robin would be it. It would take a lot of work to make him really be unique, but what an awesome character idea.

Isaac prediction: 62% - A lot of people still want him in the game, and I don't blame them. I've never even played Golden Sun, but he's an awesome looking character and I know the game had very unique abilities.
Ray prediction: 27% - Maybe it's just me, but I haven't seen a lot of demand for him.

Captain Toad

Smash Apprentice
Chrom
Chance: 70% if we're getting a new FE character he's probably it.
Want:10% I don't even hate Chrom, I just don't find him adding anything new, he even has Marth's sword...

Robin
Chance:40%
More interesting, great moveset potential (can use magic and a sword), the most important character plot wise to the game... Would just be awesome.

False Sense

Ad Astra Per Aspera
NNID
FalseSense
3DS FC
3368-2599-3209
Here we go, 1000th post time.

Ah, the classic Fire Emblem debate. So much controversy, so much arguing, and the vast majority of it stems from this one particular character; Chrom. On one hand, Chrom is considered to be a shoo-in for SSB4 due to being the poster boy for the latest, and very successful, installment in the Fire Emblem series. And considering how every previous Smash Bros. had the protagonist of the latest Fire Emblem game on the roster, surely he's the hands-down obvious choice for the roster. On the other hand, though, Chrom has some issues when it comes to being unique. Chrom not only bears a strong resemblance to both of the Fire Emblem characters we had in Brawl, but also has the same abilities as them. Most of what could potentially be used to make a moveset for him is already done by the other two Fire Emblem characters. Thus, there's a split amongst Smash fans as to whether or not Chrom really is the best choice for the roster, and if not, who is? This is where Robin enters the debate, in hopes of proving that anything can change.

Now, as some of you may know, I'm a very strong advocate for Robin. So, for my 1000th post, I'm going to analyze the Fire Emblem situation to see who's likely or not, in the most unbiased way I can. Hopefully I can shed some light on Robin's viability as a character. So, perhaps the best place to start would be with Chrom himself.

Chrom, as I'm sure you all are aware of, is a main protagonist of Fire Emblem Awakening, the most recent installment in the series. He's a descendant of Marth who wields the same Falchion sword (although it's been reforged through generations), and is pretty much the main lord of the game. He's also the poster boy of Awakening, being the most advertised character from the game, and is also one of the most popular. All that considered, it would seem that Chrom is an obvious shoo-in for SSB4. Those are some very good qualities for a character choice, and it's from these qualities that he gets the majority of his likelihood. So, why does Chrom receive all the controversy he has? Uniqueness. As previously stated, Chrom is very similar to both Marth and Ike, not only from an aesthetic perspective, but also from a gameplay perspective. The vast majority of Chrom's key abilities, such as his signature move Aether, are already utilized by one of Marth or Ike. The problem with this is how much this installment of Smash seems to emphasize uniqueness. Every character introduced has brought something new to the table, whether it be in playstyle (like Mega Man, who almost exclusively uses projectiles), or by introducing an entirely new mechanic to the game (Rosalina, Wii Fit Trainer, and Little Mac). In comparison to those characters, Chrom lacks a lot of potential for a unique move set that could help him stand out as an interesting newcomer. Now, there are a couple of ideas of how to make him unique, but for one reason or another, these ideas, while creative, seem very unlikely to actually be used. For instance, one popular idea for Chrom is for him to be a stance-change character, taking advantage of his ability to use lances in Awakening to base a move set around. While this succeeds in making him unique, it's a very unlikely idea. Chrom's ability to use lances is not one that is at all tied to his character; it's more of a bonus ability he gets down the road. The only weapon he wields that has any significance to him is the Falchion sword. To have Chrom utilize such a minor ability of his for such a significant part of his move set and playstyle comes off as very odd and uncharacteristic. For a comparison, it would be akin to Mario using a move set entirely composed of F.L.U.D.D based attacks. It's something Mario can do, but in the grand scheme of things, it doesn't make sense to base his character off of that one ability. Another popular idea is that Chrom could be a sort of middle ground between the swift Marth and the powerful Ike. This is perhaps the most likely possibility. However, is such a play style truly unique or interesting enough to match the precedent that previous newcomers have set? Aside from those ideas, there are several smaller concepts such as Chrom using a lance or the healing properties of the Exalted Falchion for specials. While those are fine ideas for some specials, they can't really constitute an entire move set. Basically, Chrom's underlying problem is that it's difficult to make him totally unique. This is what really hurts his chances and is arguably the reason why alternative Fire Emblem characters are even considered. Despite all of that, Chrom still does have the aforementioned positive traits that could very easily get him into the game. If there are no better options, then his (lack of) uniqueness could be overlooked, and with effort and creativity, could be remedied. However, there is one other viable option for a representative of Fire Emblem Awakening; Robin.

Robin, much like Chrom, is one of the main protagonists of Fire Emblem Awakening. In actuality, his/her importance to the game overall is roughly equal to that of Chrom. It could be argued that one is more important than the other, and both sides would have valid points, but for the purpose of this analysis, I'll assume they are about equal. Perhaps the most noticeable thing about Robin is the fact that he/she is an avatar character with a customizable appearance. This, and the subsequent effects it has, is the main reason Robin is not considered to be as likely as Chrom, or even considered a possibility at all by some. However, I believe that Robin has a bit more of a chance than most think. So, I'll go through the common arguments against Robin and respond to them the best I can.

1.) Robin is an avatar character! He/She doesn't have a set appearance! No way will he/she get in!

This is quite easy to disprove. The Villager is already a playable character, and in Animal Crossing, his appearance is significantly more customizable than Robin's is. On top of that, Robin is not a true avatar character. The purpose of an avatar is to allow the player to place himself or herself into the game through a character that is typically void of personality, save for the one the player imagines it to have. Robin, on the other hand, is a fully fleshed out character, with a preset personality and backstory. Therefore, rather than an actual avatar character, Robin is more of a customizable character. And, again, the Villager demonstrates that this isn't an issue. Wii Fit Trainer takes this a step further by showing that alternate genders can be made into costumes for characters that need them. So, Robin being an "avatar" is not a significant issue by any means.

2.) Robin's not the main character!

As I've previously stated, Robin and Chrom are roughly equal in terms of overall importance. This becomes especially apparent towards the latter parts of the game, where Robin's past begins to play a significant part in the story. In fact, the entire climax of the game is centered on Robin, complete with a grand variation of his/her theme song playing in the background (Oh yeah, Robin is one of the few characters to have a theme song, and the only one with multiple variations of it). Even beyond story elements, Robin has a lot of significance, being one of very few characters that are able to re-class into any available class in the game, as well as the only character capable of marrying anyone of the opposite gender, complete with a special cut scene only used for Robin. Clearly, there was a lot of effort put into making Robin; one could even argue that Robin is the heart of Awakening.

3.) Robin's not the face of Awakening!

When I mentioned earlier that being an avatar-esque character had side effects that made Robin less likely, this was what I was referring to. Since Robin doesn't have a set appearance, Robin isn't frequently used for promoting the game in advertisements. He does appear in some advertisements, but very little compared to Chrom. However, I don't think this argument means that much in the grand scheme of things. For one, while Robin isn't used often to promote Awakening, his inclusion in Smash would still do just that. Chrom wouldn't necessarily promote Awakening better by being in Smash just because he was advertised more beforehand. Both are important characters from Awakening, and thus, both of them promote it. There's also another interesting point that can be brought up due to the recent reveal of Greninja. Greninja was NOT the face of Pokemon X and Y. In fact, the character wasn't even officially revealed until after the game's release. Pokemon like Sylveon and Mewtwo were much more promoted before the game's release. And yet, Greninja made it into Smash. While we may not know the exact reasons for his inclusion, it does show that a character doesn't have to be significantly be promoted or be the "face" of their game in order to get into Smash.

I believe I've covered the biggest counter arguments to his inclusion at this point. But I've still failed to address one key point; what does Robin offer as a character to Super Smash Bros.? After all, the whole reason Robin is considered is because Chrom offers very little in that regard. Well, that's where Robin shines. From the start of Awakening, Robin is capable of wielding not only a sword, but also three different kinds of elemental magic. This capability is even noted by Chrom and Lissa in the first chapter of the game, as well as a couple of support conversations. On top of that, one of Robin's defining abilities is that he/she is able to re-class into any available classes in the game, and as a result has an incredibly large pool of potential skills he/she can utilize. All this opens up a wide variety of possibilities for a unique move set. My personal favorite has always been the stance change set. Unlike Chrom, who's primary weapon is definitely his Falchion sword while lances are a side thing, Robin equally uses swords and magic right from the start of the game, and is able to switch between the two at will. This translates very easily into a stance change move set, where Robin could quickly switch from attacking with a sword to blasting opponents with magic from a distance. This, like several other newcomers, would introduce another brand new mechanic to Smash that has yet to be seen, keeping in line perfectly with the idea of uniqueness in newcomers. Of course, there are plenty of other possibilities. Robin could use magic for the majority of his/her moves, use sword swipes for standard attacks and magic for specials, utilize the multitude of skills from Awakening, the list goes on. So, in short, Robin could easily be made into a very unique character that would stand out not only among other Fire Emblem characters, but among the Smash roster as well.

So, how likely do I think Chrom and Robin are? Well, at the end of the day, I'd have to give them these ratings.

Chrom Chance: 60%

Robin Chance: 30%

Yeah, Chrom is still more likely than Robin, I'll admit. However, 30% isn't that bad. It's more than likely not going to happen, but there is a very real chance that it could. And that's what I hope I managed to get across to whoever took the time to read this. Robin, while certainly a less than likely character, is not an impossible one. The reasons that people say he/she would be excluded for are not really so bad when you take a look at what we've already seen from other characters in this iteration of Smash. And when there's so much Robin could bring to the table as a character... I think Robin has a very legitimate chance at appearing on the roster. Not a huge chance, but a good chance, nonetheless.

Chrom Want: 30%

Robin Want: 100%

After writing for this long about Robin, you'd have to want him in 100% too.

Last edited:

Second Power

Smash Ace
3DS FC
0774-5502-4430
Before you look at my scores, I consider it a 100% chance we'll get a 3rd FE rep, and they'll be from Awakening, so the I divided that among the contenders (including those that aren't being rated).

Chrom
Chance - 50%
Want - 30%

Is the face of Awakening, is the main character for the game's first part. Is a blue haired swordsman. They could make use of subclass stuff, but I feel like the other two choices would make better use of that. 50% more or less comes from the 'face' aspect.

Robin
Chance - 35%
Want - 70%

While s/he is merely the supporting protagonist for the first half, the second half brings hir to the fore front, where their role as tactician and later hir past comes into play. S/he has a lot more moveset options than Chrom. However, Chrom being the face gives him a slight edge.

D

Deleted member

I should ask Groose and the others if we should extend this day. The fact that the website went up and down screwed things over...
First off, I just wanna say that I never played a Fire Emblem game. I will play Awakening... when SSB Wii U comes out. For now, here are my scores.
Oh, and I'll tag him in hopes he'll come... @OcarinaOfDoom.

Google Chrom
Chance:
75%

Chrom and Roy are on equal footing I said? I disagree.
Nevertheless, I have given Chrom a 5% increase. Awakening was the game that saved the franchise and Chrom is the main lord. These two things benefit Chrom greatly; he is the main character of the game that saved his own franchise. These two things alone must have caught Sakurai's attention... as well as his demand worldwide. It's not as strong as Roy's, but it's still a great deal.
Thinking about it... I don't think that Marth promoting Awakening on the Smash website hurts him at all. Marth can't be used to promote Awakening like a character from that game can... and Chrom, Robin, Lucina, or a Chrom & Lucina team best represent the game. However, Robin and Lucina don't prove to be much of a competition for Chrom in my eyes.
He still has to deal with Ike. He may get a spot with Ike or he will have to duke it out with Ike for a slot. If Ike gets in, I don't believe that his chances would hurt... but Ike's will if Chrom gets in as he could have potentially replaced Ike.
Now, while Fire Emblem is a major franchise, I cannot give him a higher score than Shulk from Xenoblade for two reasons. First off is the already mentioned competition. He still has to compete with characters within his game and veterans Ike and Roy. Second is that he lacks one major thing that newcomers have: uniqueness. He uses the same damn sword as Marth; it's not a sword like the Monado which has its own powers or anything like that. It doesn't help that he uses some of the same moves as Ike...
I say that Chrom has an excellent chance of getting in regardless.
Want: 0%
UGH! He uses the same sword as Marth and has the same abilities as Ike! That's boring! It's a shame that Shulk is called a "generic swordsman" when his sword, the Monado, is nothing like what Chrom uses (what mythical abilities can Chrom's sword do? turn blue?).

Robin (not the Batman variety)
Chance:
15%

10% lower than before.
I always knew that Chrom was THE frontrunner for Fire Emblem: Awakening. Although I don't believe the leak, it showed me more that this race for a character slot isn't as open as it was before.
One thing that Robin benefits from is uniqueness. He could use sword techniques and magic abilities that Chrom cannot. Unfortunately, his demand isn't as strong as Chrom's. Regardless, I would give him a higher chance than Lucina (5%) due to the uniqueness factor from before.
Other than that... I can't see Robin get added before Chrom. I sense that he will be outcompeted from Chrom and other Fire Emblem characters like Ike and Roy.
I can't say much for Robin to be honest.
Purely because he would be unique. I want Awakening to be repped with a character since there would be a hole there if a character from that game wasn't added. Sadly, none of the frontrunners from that game interest me. If he didn't get in, I wouldn't care.

To be honest, if Fire Emblem was just represented with characters Marth and Ike, got a stage on the Wii U and 3DS versions, and have songs like Id~Purpose (pretty damn good song!), Ike's Theme, and of course Fire Emblem (Melee), I'll be fine.

Isaac Prediction: 40.20%
People will raise his chances because he wasn't shown as an Assist Trophy. He may have not been shown, but he's not out of the woods yet.
Ray Prediction: 15.83%
Same reasons for Ray, but I think that he will gain a slight increase.

Last edited by a moderator:

Xenigma

Smash Lord
NNID
Xenigma
It's rather amusing how quickly the Gematsu rumor has gained traction here considering so many downplayed their previous E3 leak due to not having all 6 appear at E3 while this one has yet to correctly guess a specific character.

Chrom - 45%
Not much has changed for Fire Emblem since the direct, as the only real news that came out of it was Lyn being deconfirmed, as was already largely expected, so it's still difficult to tell who will be joining Marth from the franchise. The only other tidbit is that a popular leak has appeared saying Chrom is in, but as I don't believe the leak has proven credible yet (the only correct guess is the very broad, predictable "X/Y Pokemon"), I don't think it's worth considering as of yet. An Awakening rep still seems like a given, and it still seems like a toss-up between Chrom and Lucina for who might take the spot: after all, they are both extremely popular, both are lords and among the main protagonists of Awakening, and while Chrom has the notable advantage of being the primary protagonist, Lucina has the equally notable advantage of being female, never mind her post-release publicity as the cover star of the soundtrack and art book, suggesting IS may favor her should Sakurai follow tradition and ask them who to include. There's been no real tiebreaker presented as of yet, and as such I feel I must continue to give them equivalent ratings of 45%, with the other ten percent being divided among Robin and there simply not being an Awakening rep despite our predictions. Looking forward to seeing what actually happens.
Want - 50% - I always enjoy more FE characters, but Chrom simply isn't as interesting as Lucina could be.

Robin - 5%
Like I said in the last rating, I see a 10% chance of getting Robin or nobody, and I'm giving Robin half that. He/she is very important to Awakening, sure, but he/she also lacks a definitive identity as a customizable player character and Robin simply isn't as popular as Chrom and Lucina. Heck, in a Japanese popularity poll male Robin lost out to Owain, and I don't think anyone realistically expects Owain to have any chance at Smash. Robin's still quite popular, mind, and he/she could make for a far more unique character than Chrom or Lucina thanks to being a tactician instead of a lord, but I sincerely doubt that will be enough to make it into Smash unless Sakurai already wants Robin or is otherwise wants to avoid including yet another lord.
Want - 75% - Again, I prefer Lucina for an Awakening rep, but Robin is more appealing than Chrom simply because of the far larger moveset potential.

D

Deleted member

Chrom

90% Chance: He's the main character and the only viable candidate. Robin is many things; a spellcaster, a swordsman and can be re-classed to be anything in the game. While this is a positive for basic moveset potential, it has a double-edge, because there's no set appearance or personality for Robin. He can be anything and anyone the player chooses. Lucina is equally problematic, as she's just Marth female in many ways and everything she does can be done by Chrom.

I'm not going to give credence to Sakurai's comments on not adding Leif when he later added Ike, another "blue haired white male lord," and there are many instances where he has gone back on something he said. Hair aside, Chrom and Marth look nothing alike, same for Ike. Chrom also has plenty of potential to take from his version of aether, his unique style of sword fighting and from Awakening in general.

If any entry from the series is to get a newcomer, it'd be Awakening, obviously down to the fact it saved the franchise. We got Marth, Ike and it follows we get one more for Smash 4.

80% Want: I don't get the animosity here. I was a big Ike fan in Brawl, and I'm sure I'd enjoy Chrom too. Sure, I'd love for a more diverse option from Fire Emblem - a villain like Arvis, Gharnef, Black Knight and Grima are all good selections. It'd be great to see a sage or a knight, but that's not what's on offer. It's clearly going to be either Chrom, Lucina or Robin, or a remote possibility of Chrom and Lucina.

I like Chrom. He's a good character, not the most stand out personality, but neither is Robin and I dislike Lucina. She's boring, whiny and depressing, plus by the end of the game she's barely involved anymore. She mostly acts as an introductory role to the... extra recruited characters. I know, she has good reason to be like that, but I found her irritating by the endgame.

Chrom's a strong leader, goes through plenty of crap in Awakening and as a result has genuine development, a rarity in that game for the more cliched roster of units. He's nothing amazing, and I'd take a rep like Arvis a million times before I took Chrom, but he's the best on offer for Awakening and in my opinion, it is a good thing Chrom also has the best chance. I can see the negative scores here turn upside down if Chrom is revealed.

Robin

5% Chance: There is nothing to suggest Robin will get in over Chrom. He's not on any of the promotional art, he's second fiddle to Chrom for most of the game, he's not a set character. He's an open book, but to the point that Sakurai would have to practically make up his own Robin. I just don't see it happening, when Chrom is so much more straightforward.

50% Want: That said, I'm indifferent. Robin can represent the spellcasters of the series in any form and because of how watered down the magic system is in Awakening, can use every type of magic. He also has some unique abilities to adapt; Ignis, Rally and obscurer ones. Especially as his options for class are open-ended, he can take from others too.

However, I like my Robin and obviously Sakurai's not going to go to the insane lengths that'd be necessary to make my Robin the playable character. As cool as it'd be to see a different Fire Emblem class, I'd find it really distasteful that I'm playing as the generic Robin. This isn't just a tiny little slider, you create this guy from the bottom up. Robin's also not unique, there was another "My Unit" character in the second DS Marth Fire Emblem game.

Isaac: 42%
Slight increase, because he wasn't shown as an assist trophy. Although he was an unlockable in Brawl, that's not widely known.
Ray: Abstain
I am too uneducated to predict, although I'll do a little research tomorrow.

Toxicroaker

Smash Lord
3DS FC
4184-2367-6702
My (third) new Fire Emblem chance chart
Two Fire Emblem Characters: 15%
Three Fire Emblem Characters: 85%

Ike: 80%
Chrom: 75%
Roy: 18%
Robin: 5%
Lucina: 5%
Anna: 2%

That means
Chrom: 75%

Robin: 5%

Isaac: 36.84%
Ray: 14.99%

IronFish

Smash Ace
Chrom-40%
want-45%
A lot of people are thinking Chrom without considering a few things like his moveset, how would he not be a clone of anybody? his ingame skills are just one ripped from other character's like Aether! plus his inclusion wold make him the third blue haired lord in smash...
Robin-45%
want-40%
Robin would have his generic look and different looks as different costumes and female Robin as an alt costume
Robin would be more original than Chrom because he can use more than just a sword, he can use magic...
I think Robin has better chances than everyone is giving him credit for, Villager made it in despite being a "avatar" type character to why would that stop Robin?
I mean Robin does fit more of Sakurai's inclusion criteria such as being unique and promoting the game and Sakurai has been inclusing son off-the-wall characters so I'd say Robin has better chances that Chrom as far as being included.

Also why not both of them? *shot*

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom