• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Rate the Nintendo Game! Day 6: Pikmin 2 (GCN) and New Play Control! Pikmin 2 (Wii)

PK_Wonder

Smash Lord
Game 6: Pikmin 2, released on the GCN in 2004.
and New Play Control! Pikmin 2, released on the Wii in 2009/2012 in NA.

For more information, check it out here!
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pikmin_2

Yesterday: Super Mario 64 (N64) and Super Mario 64 DS (DS)
Today: Pikmin 2 (GCN) and New Play Control! Pikmin 2 (Wii)
Tomorrow: Hotel Mario (CD-i)​

Hey everyone! Welcome to Rate the Nintendo Game!*
*on a scale of 0 to 100.

Every day, a new game that appeared on a Nintendo console (can be NES, Game Boy, SNES, Virtual Boy, Game Boy Color, N64, Game Boy Advance, GameCube, Nintendo DS, Wii, Wii U/3DS retail release or eShop game) will be rated.

The first three days will be dedicated to Super Smash Bros., Super Smash Bros. Melee, and Super Smash Bros. Brawl. This is Smashboards after all. Everyone will get five nominations every day to spend as they please.

Rules:
1. Players give the game of the day a score from 0% to 100%, based on however much they like it, further based on whatever criteria they choose. This is purely opinion. Be as biased as you please, but please elaborate and share your experiences with the game with everyone! People could use this as a place to revel in nostalgia or nitpick and review, or simply be encouraged to play a missed classic for the first time.

2. Every day, you get five nominations to spread as you please on the next game to be rated. The top rated game at the beginning of the next day will be the next game rated.

3. Nominations will only be accepted for games that have released on a Nintendo console. We can and will rate third party games, ports, multiplats, and remakes. You can nominate a game that has already been rated for a rerate, although I recommend you wait for awhile.

Special Thanks to the Support Staff:
A moderator of this forum, @Gatlin
Nominations Manager, @ colder_than_ice colder_than_ice
Results Tab manager, @ LoneKonWolf LoneKonWolf
Directory Keeper, @Brawler610
Music Librarian, @ Toxicroaker Toxicroaker
Game Introductions Archive and Rate Their Chances Host, @ Groose Groose
Special Thanks to @ FalKoopa FalKoopa

Last edited:

colder_than_ice

Smash Lord
NOMINATIONS

Hotel Mario CDI (tomorrow's rating)

Banjo Kazooie (N64) x26
Kirby's Adventure/Nightmare in Dreamland (NES/GBA) x25
Mother 3 (GBA) x 23
Mysterious Musarame Castle (NES) x22
Legend of Zelda: Majora's Mask (N64) x22
Duck Hunt (NES) x20
Luigi's Mansion (GCN) x18
Fire Emblem Awakening (3DS) x16
Golden Sun (GBA) x15
Super Mario Sunshine (GCN) x13
Super Mario Bros (NES) x12
Pokemon Red/Blue (GB) x10
Mario Kart Double Dash (GCN) x10
Super Mario Galaxy (Wii) x10
Metroid Prime (GCN) x8
Super Smash Bros 64 (N64) x5
Eternal Darkness (GCN) x5
Legendary Starfy (DS) x5
Pokemon Heart Gold & Soul Silver (DS) x5
Legend of Zelda: Wind Waker (GCN) x5
Custom Robo (GCN) x5
Legend of Zelda: Ocarina if Time (N64) x3
Super Mario Land (GB) x3
Rayman Hoodlum Havok (GCN) x3
Tetris Attack (SNES) x3
Legend of Zelda (NES) x2
Link's Awakening (GB) x2
Super Mario World 2: Yoshi's Island (SNES) x2
Zelda 2: The Adventure of Link (NES) x2
Earthbound (SNES) x2
Metroid (NES) x1

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

RATE THE NINTENDO GAME DIRECTORY! PART 2
This will be reserved when room has run out in the first post, so this won't have any use yet.
For now, here's a pic of Luigi's nose.

Last edited by a moderator:

LoneKonWolf

Lazy Lonely Lurker☕
The RTNG Results tab
(Lonekonwolf back to record the results again it seems)
This is where we collaborate our results for easy viewing. We'll have two sections, one where we organized the ratings per system, and another with all our game ratings packed together, this way we can see our community favorite game per console and overall favorite game,
which game will make it to the top of the list? Come back here to find out!
[Collapse=system ratings]
N64:
1. Super Mario 64 - 93.63%
2. Super Smash Bros. - 89.08%
DS:
Super Mario 64 DS - 89.50%
2. Super Mario 64 (N64) - 93.63%
3. Super Mario 64 DS (DS) - 89.50%
4. Super Smash Bros. (N64) - 89.08%
5. Super Smash Bros. Brawl (Wii) - 89.00%
6. Xenoblade Chronicles (Wii) - 86.90%
[/Collapse]
Have fun rating mates!
Notice: updates will not be consistent, but Will at the very least be updated once a week.
Notice ll: if there are any errors or inconsistencies, please let me know I'll fix it as soon as possible!

Last edited:

Toxicroaker

Smash Lord
3DS FC
4184-2367-6702
Music Library Part 1
[collapse=Music Library Day 1 - 4] This is a list of music for all of the games we rate. It is updated every sunday. It contains some of the most popular and important songs in the game. Likelihood is, if you love a song from a game we have rated, it's here. However, if it isn't, you can always suggest it and it will be by the next update!

Super Smash Bros. (Day 1): Opening, Character Select, Peach's Castle, Kongo Jungle, Hyrule Castle, Dream Land, Saffron City, Meta Crystal, Duel Zone, Final Destination, and Staff Roll

Super Smash Bros. Melee (Day 2): Opening, Menu 1, Great Bay, Hyrule Temple, Fountain of Dreams, Corneria, Mute City, Mother, Flat Zone, Fire Emblem, Dr. Mario, Balloon Fight, Battlefield, Final Destination, Menu 2, Break the Targets, Multi-Man Melee 1, Multi-Man Melee 2, and Giga Bowser

Super Smash Bros. Brawl (Day 3): Main Theme, Menu 1, Menu 2, Battlefield, Battlefield Ver. 2, Final Destination, Ground Theme (Super Mario Bros.), Main Theme (Super Mario 64), Luigi's Mansion Theme, Mario Circuit, King K. Rool / Shipdeck 2, Bramble Blast, Opening (Donkey Kong), Main Theme (The Legend of Zelda), Ocarina of Time Medley, Title (The Legend of Zelda), The Dark World, Hyrule Field Theme, Midna's Lament, Dragon Roost Island, The Great Sea, Song of Storms, Gerudo Valley, Main Theme (Metroid), Vs. Ridley, Theme of Samus Aran, Space Warrior, Battle Scene / Final Boss, Ending (Yoshi's Story), Obstacle Course, Yoshi's Island, The Legendary Air Ride Machine, King Dedede's Theme, Butter Building, Gourmet Race, Meta Knight's Revenge, 02 Battle, Squeak Squad Theme, Main Theme (Star Fox), Corneria, Star Wolf, Pokemon Main Theme, Pokemon Center, Pokemon Gym / Evolution, Wild Pokemon Battle! (Ruby / Sapphire), Victory Road, Route 209, Mute City, Dream Chaser, Devil's Call in Your Heart, Climb Up! And Get the Last Chance!, Brain Cleaner, Shotgun Kiss, Ice Climber, Flat Zone 2, Fire Emblem Theme, Shadow Dragon Medley, Winning Road (Roy's Hope), Attack, Against the Black Knight, Power-Hungry Fool, Victory is Near, Ike's Theme, WarioWare, Inc., Ashley's Song, World Map (Pikmin 2), Forest of Hope, Ai no Uta, Main Theme (Pikmin), Underworld, Title (Kid Icarus), Snowman, Humoresque of a Little Dog, Porky's Theme, Mother 3 Love Theme, Unfound Revenge / Smashing Song of Praise, You Call This Utopia?!, Title (Animal Crossing), Go K.K. Rider, Town Hall and Tom Nook's Store, Encounter, Theme of Tara, Theme of Solid Snake, Calling to the Night, Green Hill Zone, Angel Island Zone, Open Your Heart, Live & Learn, Title (Big Brain Academy), Balloon Trip, Shin Onigashima, Chill (Dr. Mario), Gyromite, Famicom Medley, Douchuumen (Nazo no Murusame Jo), PictoChat, Lip's Theme (Panel de Pon), Online Practice Stage, Boss Battle, Target Smash!!, Boss Battle Song 1, Tabuu, and Credits

Xenoblade Chronicles (Day 4): Main Theme, Memories, Thoughts to a Friend, Engage the Enemy, Unfinished Battle, Riki the Legendary Hero, Riki's Tenderness, Anger, Darkness of the Heart, The God-Slaying Sword, Colony 9, Time to Fight!, Guar Plains, Satorl, The Shimmering Marsh, One Who Gets in Our Way, You Will Know Our Names, and Mechanical Rhythm
[/collapse]

If you are suggesting a song for me to put in the list just tag me in a post by saying @ Toxicroaker Toxicroaker in there somewhere. Then post the song you want in the list and say what game it's for. I prefer to get them via link because it makes it much faster and easier for me to add it in.

Music Contributors: @Brawler610 - 16 Songs Contributed

Last edited:

Toxicroaker

Smash Lord
3DS FC
4184-2367-6702
Music Library Part 2
[collapse=Music Library Day 0 - 0]No songs yet
[/collapse]

Last edited:

Delgrango

Smash Rookie
NNID
Delgrangos
I rate this game 100%. I have to admit that I've actually have never played the original Super Smash Bros. But it kickstarted the franchise that this website is based upon. I wouldn't be typing this right now if it wasn't for that game.

Super Mario Bros. (NES) x2
The Legend of Zelda (NES) x2
Metroid (NES) x1

PK_Wonder

Smash Lord
I rate this game 100%. I have to admit that I've actually have never played the original Super Smash Bros. But it kickstarted the franchise that this website is based upon. I wouldn't be typing this right now if it wasn't for that game.

Super Mario Bros. (NES) x2
The Legend of Zelda (NES) x2
Metroid (NES) x1

That's one of the greatest first posts ever.

Good choices on nominations too. It'd be cool to get the big NES classics out of the way early.

D

Deleted member

SUPER SMMMMAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAASSSSHH BROTHEEERSS!!!!

+ It kickstarted a great series and many inspirations with varying quality.
+ The gameplay and controls are solid, but the sequels made some improvements.
+ The character roster, while very small, is satisfactory.
+ Great for playing locally with friends and family.
+ Fantastic soundtrack that gets me pumped.
+ Between this, Melee, and Brawl, Smash 64 has the best character balance, though it's nowhere near perfect.
-- The single-player department is lacking.
-- This is a minor complaint, but the graphics have not aged gracefully.

Score: 85%

Nomination: Xenoblade x5

Toxicroaker

Smash Lord
3DS FC
4184-2367-6702
Super Smash Bros.: 90% I came in to the video game scene pretty late compared to most here, so I actually didn't play this game anywhere near the release date, however, when I did play it, I enjoyed it. It isn't nearly as good as Melee or Project M, but it is still pretty up there.

x5 Kirby's Adventure/Nightmare in Dreamland
The game that started it all for me.

FalKoopa

Rainbow Waifu
BRoomer
3DS FC
1650-3685-3998
Switch FC
SW-5545-7990-4793
Well, well, well, here we go!

Super Smash Bros: 85%
My misfortune is that I was too young to actually have played the game when it came out. In fact, I only tried it out after having played Brawl and Melee, just out of curiosity. It's still a good game, honestly, while far more silly compared to the more serious tones of its sequels. Multiplayer still manages to hold up, while the single player feels incredibly lacking.

Nominating
Super Mario Bros (NES) x 5
My mother used to play it before I was born, and the genes have definitely been passed on.

ghastmine

Smash Ace
NNID
ghastmine
I give it a 85%
I got around to playing this last (even after project m) and even was in a tournament for it but mp is great and like usual singleplayer lacked

PK_Wonder

Smash Lord
Great stuff so far. Keep the experiences coming, guys, and tell your Smashboards friends so we can have a large community of participants!

I'll probably give it until tomorrow (Sunday) to start Day 2 (Super Smash Bros. Melee) so things have a chance to pick up and people can be aware of this thread. After that, things will be on a pretty fluid 24-hour schedule. I'll generally start the new day about 10pm CST.

All nominations from these first three, pre-selected days are counting towards the total. Whatever game has the highest nomination total by Day 4 will be the game for that day, and I will also announce "tomorrow's game" the day in advance.
@ colder_than_ice colder_than_ice

D

Deleted member

Time to get back into action.
The Directory has been updated.
Dun dun dun. SUPER SMAAAAAAAAAAAAASH BROTHERRRRRRRRRRRRS!
Score:
90%

The game that started it all.
It merely started out as just a simple fighting game evolved into something much more. What was once a Japanese exclusive game with a limited budget became a game that started one of Nintendo's best selling franchises of all-time.

The roster itself is rather limited compared to future installments, but it's still a very satisfying roster. Some of Nintendo's biggest franchises (including the obscure EarthBound series) are here and accounted for. I just wish that characters like Wario were added in this game.

Gameplay wise, the battles are very thrilling. There is always a sense of satisfaction when you land combos, hits, and KOs. The items are also pretty fun to use, such as the infamous Hammer or summoning various Pokemon from the Poke Ball for example. The stages themselves are also pretty fun, my favorite being Hyrule Temple since it's open and free. I can't really say that any of the stages are terrible (except for MAYBE Sector Z since that stage is gigantic).
I also have to give props to Sakurai for making this a very simple game. It's a game that's easy to control and learn, but hard to master. You can play this game, or any game in the series for that matter, for fun or just for competitive thrills. You need to think out your movements and attacks since you won't survive for very long if you spam attacks.

Mode wise, the game is at its best with multiplayer. You can play competitively with another friend or you can have a fun time with items. You will definitely gloss over the fact that there is single player and single player is definitely lacking. All you have is Classic Mode (1P Mode in this game), Break the Targets, Board the Platforms, and a Training Mode; there isn't much else. Still, Classic Mode can be fun to challenge yourself in.

As for the music, it's pretty damn good. It has both compositions of some of your favorite themes and I enjoy some of the original compositions. My favorite original songs in this game are definitely the Character Select theme, Final Destination (why isn't this in future games? :( it definitely makes the final battle against Master Hand more tense), and the Credits theme (which is seen as the overarching theme of the franchise).

I won't be docking points for graphics. They haven't aged very well, but they were good at the time.

Overall, the original is definitely a good game. You might be spoiled from future installments since they offer so much more in terms of content, but it's definitely worth a shot!

Nominations: Super Mario 64 5x
My childhood game.

LoneKonWolf

Lazy Lonely Lurker☕
Super smash brothers (n64) 99%
I seem to be part of an slowly scattered group of people who had played the original before melee, either way back then when I was an kid, the n64 was major news with us. (Me and my siblings) and we always wanted an turn on it to play mario 64 or ocarina of time, mostly with my brother useing it all the time forcing me to watch on the sidelines, sure we had the Kirby 64 mini games and pokemon stadium for multiplayer games. (Mario kart and party didn't exist at our house hold at the time) but they were limited and stadium was only 2 for the 3 of us, though that changed when we actually got our first multiplayer game smash, and it was an blast, for once no had to sit out and take turns just to play the main game, and it had all the characters from our games in it too (except for Samus, none of us knew who she, or at the time he, was) we would beat each other up for hours on end, and heck if two of us wanted to play an certain game (i.e. s starfox and stadium) we would play smash and be that character and fight each other so it can be like playing two games in once at the same time ( I was an 5 year old kid at the time, do not mess with my logic) it was an joy really, pretty perfect, I guess it isn't at 100 is because I didn't know exactly what I was doing most of the time playing it (all I remember was spamming specials) but still its an nostalgic memory, one I wouldn't trade for anything for
Super Mario bros (nes) X5

Glaciacott

Smash Lord
Super Smash Brothers
80%
I have to keep context here. While the game introduced a phenomenal franchise, the first iteration was still a bit on the bland side and what made it a must-have was the roster being Nintendo All-Starts and the combat system being pretty enjoyable.
The single player experience was a bit lacking and the menus a bit dry.
Still, it was a pretty freaking awesome game and it still stands the test of time. I just won't give it above a 80% because it wasn't this game that really catapulted the series into awesome territory.

Nominations
Can we nominate series? Since Smash is being done as a series of days, is it possible to nominate doing series thematically as well? You know, assuming it's not a series with dozens of games (Mario, Pokemon)
Just feel it'd be nice to have the same criteria in mind when rating a series instead of doing, say, Paper Mario, and then Paper Mario TTYD like a month later, when the games work better when rated in comparison

If we can do series:
x5 Mother series (Mother, Mother 2/Earthbound, Mother 3)

If we can't:
x5 Mother 3
I want to talk about how much I love this game as soon as I can.

Sari

Editing Staff
Writing Team
NNID
Villager49
Switch FC
SW-2215-0173-2152
Super Smash Brothers (N64)
Rating:
90%

An amazing multiplayer game that was groundbreaking when it was released, and is still fun to play today. Sure Melee may be better but it all started here. It had a great selection of characters and some of my favorite stages in the series. The only downside with it was the lack of single-player modes but aside from that it's a blast.

Nominations:
Pokémon Red/Blue (x3)
Link's Awakening (x2)

Last edited:

PK_Wonder

Smash Lord
If we can do series:
x5 Mother series (Mother, Mother 2/Earthbound, Mother 3)

If we can't:
x5 Mother 3
I want to talk about how much I love this game as soon as I can.

Just one game per day, but I am not opposed to bending things so that we rate two or three games in the same series back-to-back should they be sequels. :) Also, there are certain exceptions, such as in the case of two Pokemon versions, where the games are so fundamentally similar, we will definitely do both versions as a single day.

I can't wait to see what other people have to say about EarthBound and Mother 3.

It's not an issue these first three days, but for heavily story-based games I do encourage SPOILER tags for later game content.

Last edited:

Leafeon523

Smash Ace
NNID
Leafeon523
3DS FC
2466-1607-7000
We're rating games now? Sound fun to me!
Super smash bros:
Chance: 1%
A bunch of Nintendo characters duking it out with percents instead of health bars? How would that ever be created?

Want: 100%
This sounds like a fantastic concept for a game.

Nominating Half Life 3 x5
:troll::troll::troll::troll::troll::troll::troll::troll::troll::troll::troll::troll:

colder_than_ice

Smash Lord
Super Smash Bros 64 - 70%
It may have been the introduction to a fantastic series but I don't think it's aged well. The single player mode feels very empty after playing Melee and Brawl and there were far fewer characters and stages. Also those 2D Pokeball Pokemon looked awful. It's still a fun game and feels a bit more balanced than the other two.

Nominations: Pikmin 2 x5

PK_Wonder

Smash Lord
We're rating games now? Sound fun to me!
Super smash bros:
Chance: 1%
A bunch of Nintendo characters duking it out with percents instead of health bars? How would that ever be created?

Want: 100%
This sounds like a fantastic concept for a game.

Nominating Half Life 3 x5
:troll::troll::troll::troll::troll::troll::troll::troll::troll::troll::troll::troll:
:rotfl::rotfl::rotfl::rotfl: I'm surprised it took someone this long. :rotfl::rotfl::rotfl::rotfl:
Half-Life 3 Wii U exclusive confirmed.
Gordon Freeman Amiibo available now.

I guess I should count your rating as a 100%?
and would you like to actually nominate something?

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
My rating: 95%

I purchased Smash 64 at the end of 1999. I would have been 7 years old at the time, and I bought it only because Pikachu was on the cover. Before this, the only game series I had any exposure to was Pokemon, which I was obsessed with. I brought my Game Boy and spare batteries with me religiously, and when I was outside I pretended to catch wild Pokemon with my friends. I truly believe Pokemon as my first video game helped develop me into the kid I was, by giving me an rpg-centric mindset. It was important to talk to everyone and not skip dialogue, explore everything, and grind. This made me more observant. We'll talk more about this on Pokemon day.

Those holidays in '99, I had received a Nintendo 64. The Jungle Green-Donkey Kong 64 bundle. I got it early for Thanksgiving instead of Christmas. I didn't play it a whole lot before Super Smash Bros. I never got past the intro area at first. I wanted to be exposed to other games, eventually, I just didn't know what. and I still didn't consider myself a gamer. If you asked me what I enjoyed, I would have listed "Pokemon" and not necessarily "video games!" I owned DK64, sure. but also Pokemon Red, Blue, Yellow, Pinball... the TCG.

So when I was able to pick out my second N64 game, it was Super Smash Bros. (Pokemon Stadium was sold out or something, that was my original pick when we went to the store). It had Pikachu on the cover. and that Mario guy I always heard about. Hmmm. Let's see what this is.

I had never even played a Mario game. Never The Legend of Zelda or Metroid or Kirby or Star Fox. Certainly not F-Zero or EarthBound. I recognized a couple of them (Mario, Luigi, and Yoshi) and I had seen Link before but didn't know his name.

The first thing I did was play Pikachu of course. It just so happened that Pikachu was the perfect playstyle for me, but probably Pikachu is what developed by playstyle. I like glass cannon, combo-oriented characters with one or two projectiles, which is probably why Palutena is so appealing to me.

but after countless hours with Super Smash Bros., I had tried them all and had read those little character biographies. I started collecting Nintendo Power because of Smash, and read about all these previous years of classic gaming before my time. A great love of all things Nintendo had been born. Donkey Kong IS really awesome. So I went back and actually played Donkey Kong 64. Woah. a 3D environment and atmosphere to explore. It was breathtaking. I invested over 300 hours in that DK 64 save file, collecting every single little collectable in that glorious collectathon. It was so different from Pokemon, yet still had those basic concepts, just in different application. Is this the variety of video games?

I expanded my N64 library to games that featured these other characters (and also the wonderful Rareware games... God rest their souls). I got a GBA and GameCube at launch, and a DS and Wii (which had the glorious Virtual Console, finally giving me access to NES and SNES games), and a 3DS and Wii U.

Looking back, Super Smash Bros. as a game was lacking and imperfect. The music was fantastic. The graphics didn't stand the test of time in the way many N64 games do. The character and stage selection is good for a first entry, but both the gameplay and content is mostly inferior to its successors. There's no real reason for me to go back and play it instead of Melee or Brawl (both of which could very well be replaced by Sm4sh for 3DS and Wii U). But without it, I may have never developed gaming into much of a hobby beyond Pokemon. It exposed to me to more franchises. I don't think Nintendo is perfect or without flaws. I also have a good-sized Steam library, and love my PlayStation 3. My favorite franchise in all of gaming is actually Grand Theft Auto. But, Nintendo, Mr. Sakurai, you made it all possible. Nintendo, you're my favorite company. Gaming is my sport. It's my number one hobby. I'm a well-rounded guy outside of it, but it helped me become the person I am today.

Here is the tattoo I got last year on my leg. This would have never happened if Pikachu wasn't on the cover of Super Smash Bros.:

Tattoo Official.jpg

nominate: Banjo-Kazooie x5

Leafeon523

Smash Ace
NNID
Leafeon523
3DS FC
2466-1607-7000
:rotfl::rotfl::rotfl::rotfl: I'm surprised it took someone this long. :rotfl::rotfl::rotfl::rotfl:
Half-Life 3 Wii U exclusive confirmed.
Gordon Freeman Amiibo available now.

I guess I should count your rating as a 100%?
and would you like to actually nominate something?
You know, we can't really consider this thread a successor to the RTC thread until we have a troll day. So I'm nominating Hotel Mario x2:troll:. And also Fire Emblem: Awakening x3.

Mega Bidoof

Smash Hero
NNID
Link46
3DS FC
1160-9840-1542
Super Smash Bros. (64)
Chance: 5%
I just really don't see it happening. Many others are way more deserving. Plus, it would cause quite a bit of backlash. I'd say it has a very small chance of actually happening, but I could always be wrong, and Sakurai could take that risky route.

Want: 20%
Eh. It could be an interesting inclusion, but I'm kinda indifferent.

Predictions
Super Smash Bros. Melee: 65%
It has a decent chance overall, and I think the community knows that, and will rate it deservingly.

Nominations: X5 Super Smash Bros. 64 Rerate.

PK_Wonder

Smash Lord
Day 1 is over / Day 2 has begun!

Super Smash Bros. (N64) scored an excellent 89.08% in our first rating ever. Smashing performance!

(I didn't count one vote that was either a massive misunderstanding of the rules, or silly, but solid trolling).

Welcome to Day 2: Super Smash Bros. Melee.
Will this impressive sequel and its strong competitive reputation reign superior to its predecessor? In a word, probably.
Please score Melee from 0% to 100% based on how fantastic you think it is.

FalKoopa

Rainbow Waifu
BRoomer
3DS FC
1650-3685-3998
Switch FC
SW-5545-7990-4793
Super Smash Bros. MEEELEEEEEEE!!: 100%
(I really loved how the narrator yelled the title in 64 and Melee. Whose idea was it to drop this neat feature?)

Unlike Smash 64, Melee has aged quite well. It was made on a much larger budget and treated like an AAA title. To tell the truth, I have played Melee the least of all 3 games, due to never actually owning it. Still, it's a worthy successor that completely blew 64 out of the water.

The single player was much beefed up - Classic and Adventure can still hold up today - although Multiplayer is really where it's at. It also had a large selection of memorable stages (Temple is popular despite being a terrible competitive stage, and Fountain of Dreams is the most beautiful stage in Smash yet). It also set the stage for future games to expand upon.

Duck Hunt x 5

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Super Smash Bros. MEEELEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!

+ New mechanics were added.
+ An expanded selection of characters, both well known and obscure.
+ It introduced western gamers to the Fire Emblem series.
+ New and more varied stages.
+ A wider selection of modes, including the fanservicey Adventure Mode.
-- The character balance is far from perfection.
-- "Begun, the Clone War has." -Yoda
And it still rages on to this day.

Score: 94%

It's a very enjoyable fighting game.

xLemmy_KoopaX

Bring me my booty!
NNID
xLemmy_KoopaX
Ah, Super Smash Bros. Melee. Probably the most important Smash Bros. game, it defined the Smash competitive scene, making our community to what it is. But why was is so sucessful?

GAMEPLAY MECHANICS

The answer is quite simple: It has, at the moment, the deepest gameplay of all Smash games, although it was never intended to be that deep.

(I want to note here that I'm indeed not a professional Smash Bros. Melee player and might get some things wrong, feel free to correct me here. Critique is appreciated.)

For one, the depth of this game is archived by many advanced techniques, hard to do and even harder to perfect. One of those is Wavedashing, which is the most flexible type of movement in a Smash game. Fun fact: The first people who discovered the wavedashing thought is was quite useless at first, but Ken used this technique for his approaches, with great sucess. The other one is L-Cancelling, which can cancel the lag on your attacks.

Now for the more general things of the gameplay.
The air game for example. It is really fast, unlike Brawl's and Smash 4's more floaty approach. The ground game is really quick as well, for various reasons.
This game has combos. Many combos. The most infamous involve Fox's and Falco's "shine" or Jigglypuff's Rest, being a deadly One-Hit K.O. when used right.

While this sounds really amazing (and it kinda is pretty astounding), people who just want to join into this game might have a really hard time keeping up. Those ATs need huge reflexes and can get quite hurt-y on your hands when you aren't used to them. Quick reactions are needed. You could say this game is TOO fast and complicated.

But, at least as a watcher, this game is dang exciting.

(One note: This game is the first that had Side B attacks. Almost unimaginable that a Smash game doesn't have them, huh?)

CHARACTER SELECTION

Now, how are the characters?
Well, there is already one thing you will quickly see when you look at Melee's roster: It doesn't focus too much on unique characters, with a quarter of the roster consisting of so called "clones". The rest of Melee's roster consists of mostly very basic more-important characters to go along with our roster that only consisted of heroes in Smash 64. Aside from a few surprises.

Ice Climbers, Mr. Game and Watch, Roy and Marth, who would've expected them? The former two are starting the tradition of more obscure retro characters, the latter two introduced fans in the west to a completely new series. Fire Emblem, one of my most-loved Nintendo series. Western people would've never have played the Strategy RPG adventures if it was not for the Nintendo Treehouse who decided to go against the initial plan and feature Marth and Roy as fighters in the new Smash, as they were just so fun for them.

The character selection is all in all very good. All the clones are a bit iffy though.

CHARACTER BALANCE

Now for the more troublesome part. The character balance.
SSBM Character matchup chart.jpg
As you might see, we have definite characters on the top that have no problems with matchups at all. To be exact, Fox has NO negative matchup, for example. And we have characters on the bottom that are (mostly) hopeless and would just get their arse kicked. In the end, we have only 8 characters that can be used without a doubt. The balancing is not totally broken though, as we see players like DJNintendo or aMSa being good even with lower tier characters (that's why I said "mostly")!

Along with the harder controls of Melee, this is the reason why I think we should all give Smash 4 a well deserved chance. It's quick (The speed looks actually spot-on perfect for me to play), the characters look quite even and boy, Smash 4 is so exciting to watch as well, maybe even for that reason. Seeing such diverse matchups and how they play is so interesting, along with the fact that Smash 4 put LOTS of effort into unique mechanics.

GAME CONTENT

But if we stop looking at Melee from the competitive standpoint, we see that Melee has indeed a lot of other content and is in fact the first Smash game that had those amounts of content! You can play Classic, play Adventure, play Missions, play All-Star, play Home Run Contest and Multi Man Melee, and the characters are really different to unlock. You spend a lot of time on that. Especially on Mr. Game and Watch. Also, this is the first game with trophies. So you'll have enough stuff to keep you occupied in single player as well.

(Not valued: Story [as this game has none and you wouldn't play it for it anyway], Graphics [as this game is just too old for me to rate this properly!])

As for a final score?
Mechanics 9/10
Characters 8/10
Balancing 6/10
Content 10/10

That's like an 83%.

FINAL WORDS

Super Smash Bros. Melee is an truly amazing game, and although it has some glaring flaws, the innovations this game brought like all the game modes or even actual Side B attacks are just great and the community we have now that raised from it, that, although I do complain about it sometimes, is one of the best things that happened to my life, and I can say Melee deserves being an timeless masterpiece.

(A huge shoutout to the Smash 4 Shulk thread, you made my summer and my Smash hype the best thing ever. <33)

For nominations:
Xenoblade Chronicles (Wii) x5.

Last edited:

Sari

Editing Staff
Writing Team
NNID
Villager49
Switch FC
SW-2215-0173-2152
Super Smash Bros. Melee (GC)
Rating:
97%

Was able to play this at a relatives house the other day and I was reminded of how good it was. The original Smash Bros. was fun, though I think Melee was the one that really made the series take off. It took everything that made the original game great, but added tons of new characters, modes, stages, and gameplay mechanics. Add in an amazing soundtrack, tons of trophies to collect, and the overall fun factor this game has with friends and you have quite possibly the best Gamecube game ever.

It beats Brawl in many ways imo.

Nominations:
Zelda 2 (x2)
Mario Land (x3)

Toxicroaker

Smash Lord
3DS FC
4184-2367-6702
Super Smash Bros. Melee: 90% This is a very good game. It is the first (and from the looks of it) only extremely competitive smash game to date. I don't have any very special memories of the game tho, so that's why it isn't 100%

GuyWithTheFace

Harbinger of smut and drag queens
NNID
GuyWithTheFace23
3DS FC
5413-0018-1146
Melee!!! Personally, I prefer Brawl. Melee, however, was a great game, and had better stage design than Brawl in general.

Melee-90%

Nominate Xenoblade x5

D

Deleted member

The Directory has been updated.
SUPER SMASH BROS. MELEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!
Score:
95%

You can feel the amount of pressure Sakurai went under with the release of this game. Apparently, his lifestyle became even more destructive and he had a limited amount of time.

The roster is definitely improved and it features a lot of Nintendo classic characters like Bowser, Peach, Zelda, Mewtwo, and Marth with a surprise appearance by Mr. Game & Watch. The game also expands the roster with... clones. I'm not entirely against clones, only the clones that share the same name as another (Dr. Mario and Young Link come to mind), but it outright confuses me that Ganondorf is a clone (and he sadly still is).
The only imperfections with the roster are still the lack of Wario and other Nintendo characters like Diddy Kong (who is completely MIA) and a 2nd Kirby character like King Dedede and Meta Knight.

Multiplayer is still frantic as ever, even with new Special modes that you will most likely gloss over.
The single player modes have seen an improvement. You now have Classic Mode, Adventure Mode, and All-Star Mode for your three main games. Classic Mode is basically the 1P mode from 64; Adventure Mode has you clear through some stages, whether there is platforming involved or fighting characters with gimmicks in place; All-Star Mode has you fight against every character in the game in a random order with the final fight being a battle against a team of Mr. Game & Watches.
There are Event Matches where it's filled with gimmicks, like fighting against Link as Marth, killing Nana from the Ice Climbers only, killing Sheik only, go through the F-Zero stage from the Adventure Mode as the game is ungodly fast, and fighting characters in a sequential order. The final two Event Matches are definitely difficult, especially when you fight Master Hand and the new left hand Crazy Hand in Event 50. Event 51 is especially iconic since you fight Nintendo's villains; Mewtwo, Ganondorf, and a giant, maniacal, more powerful Bowser known as Giga Bowser.
There are also some Stadium modes like Home-Run Contest (which has you hit Sandbag as far as you can) and Multi-Man Melee (where you fight against Fighting-Wire Frames with specific ways of beating it in mind, such as KOing 100 of them or surviving for 15 minutes). Target Smash also returns in this game where you break ten targets, but Board the Platforms is sadly gone.

The gameplay is an improvement over the previous game. It's much more fast and there is more of an emphasis on combos; you can pull some ridiculous stuff in Melee if you're good enough and know some advanced techniques like wavedashing and L-Cancelling. However, the presence of advanced techniques such as these might turn away from newcomers to the franchise.
I also have to say that the GameCube controller is by far the best controller for Smash. It's comfortable, the buttons are perfectly next to each other, and the game (and even future installments) were made with this controller in mind. It's no wonder why Smash 4 will have a GameCube adapter.
Some of the stages are pretty fun to fight on, like Mute City, Fourside, and Fountain of Dreams for example. This game also houses my favorite design of Final Destination; I love the layout of the stage, the music, the background... it's all incredible.
Speaking of music, it's absolutely incredible and it's still my favorite Smash soundtrack to this day. Brawl may have a ton of composers working on amazing songs, but Melee's soundtrack had a lot of heart poured into it.
Graphically, it's definitely beautiful. The worlds of Nintendo are brought out and the game does have a good mix between realism and cartoony.

Overall, the game is amazing and it's definitely worth picking up. I highly recommend Melee if you haven't played it!... for some reason.
Nominations: Super Mario 64

Delgrango

Smash Rookie
NNID
Delgrangos
97%!

A very simple explanation for my childhood. I grew up playing this game with my brothers and going to tournaments at Wal-Mart for this game. Even though I was like 6 or 7 years old and wasn't really good at it. But I just love this game so much. And when I play it now as a serious player, it's pure nostalgia and just a wave of amazingness hitting me in the face and I love it every time.

I would so give this a 100% and I do very much think it deserves it, but there are many times when I play the game and am like ".....What? How? Can that really?" But yeah. The roster, the stages, the modes, the feeling, the look, the sound. It's one of the greatest experiences ANYONE can have with a game. Even if they were to play it RIGHT NOW.

Metroid Prime x5

PikaSamus

Smash Journeyman
NNID
BattleSubway
0/10 worst game ever
Nah, just kidding.
087/100
The advanced techniques (wavedashing, dash dancing, etc.) make the game super complicated, but it's a very fun game for just playing around.

Leafeon523

Smash Ace
NNID
Leafeon523
3DS FC
2466-1607-7000
Melee: 100%
SSB is by far my favorite series of all time. Smash bros is love, smash bros is life. I actually prefer brawl to melee, but I still have countless childhood memories of both games.
Nominating Hotel Mario x5

Last edited:

colder_than_ice

Smash Lord
Melee - 100%
I think I may have put more hours into this game than any other game in my life. Lots of good memories here.

Nominations: Pikmin 2 x5

Top Bottom