• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

R.O.B. Matchup Analysis #11 - Yoshi

Mister Eric

Twitch.tv/MisterbeepEric Twitter: @MisterbeepEric
NNID
MisterEric
3DS FC
1075-1236-8207
Are you doing these weekly, @ GwJ GwJ ? I haven't been paying attention.

YoHeKing

Smash Master
NNID
YoHeKing
3DS FC
1504-5702-2379
Well alot of robs play defensive. I dont see any agressive robs succeeding much or am I wrong? Yoshi has enough agression to counter rob.

Ive noticed that yoshi seems to cancel out robs gryo with alot of his moves. A off stage rob though could get deadly for rob if you know what your doing.

Crome

#ROBSquad
NNID
sboles66
3DS FC
1289-8218-1492
Switch FC
SW 7896 6401 6209
One of the best players in my community is a Yoshi main, so I've got a bit of experience with the match up. Yoshi's fast nair and amazing aerial mobility really ****s with us. His Up B is really good for juggling and his Fair is an amazing spike. Not unwinnable, but you have to put in a lot of work. Solid 40:60 for Yoshi.

Last edited:

The Real Inferno

Smash Hero
He eats us alive. His moveset and air mobility are leagues above our own. He racks up damage. He kills us very easily and even in janky, off stage ways ROB isn't normally susceptible to. Essentially, Yoshi's great frame data, hitbox size/priority and B&B combos mean he outclasses ROB at almost everything. Camping, Yoshi's projectile is faster, trading with Laser and sometimes beating it if he guesses the right angle and hops accordingly, while outranging uncharged gyro. Yoshi also has aerials that make it very easy for him to catch gyro shots while also approaching with large, damaging aerials. Once under ROB, it's very bad news. Yoshi has very VERY good air mobility and his uair is only 5 frames, does 12 damage, combos into itself at low percents and can kill (also sends you at a perfect 90 degree angle for maximum kill potential). His second jump allows for him to chase us very high and he can even try to pick you off with an egg after a uair.

Yoshi's ONLY bad quality against us is his inability to kill ROB with grabs. This makes shielding a little bit better than normal...however, he can safely fade back all of his aerials when spaced correctly before a ROB can usmash out of shield anytime you fail to powershield, so don't get too excited. He also eats shields with dair, often poking, and can b reverse his neutral b to come into a shield with an aerial grab at a moment's notice. Neutral B can also kill at higher percents when mashing out will eventually become an impossibility if you don't land on the stage, making offstage neutral b an embarrassing way to go.

Yoshi is difficult to spike, mainly do to his great uair and the armor on his second jump. Meanwhile, his spike beats a lot of our options outright. At the ledge, Yoshi's dtilt easily pokes ROB out of ledge grabs attempted from anywhere near toughing the bottom of the ledge, and anything from the front. One much come directly up to not get hit so long as he is timing it right. He can also run off into a fair spike at medium percents if you do not DI away.

Basic strategy to mitigate your hurt: Camping straight up won't win you this match. He gap closes far too well for that. You need to take potshots with gyro whenever he dedicates to an option. Approach deliberately while throwing out safe, fast options (though there isnt much that is against Yoshi). I recommend dtilt and jab. Beware that Yoshi's jab is ****ing huge and cancels into smash attacks even at kill percents. Ftilt, angled up can snatch Yoshi's looking to jump OOS and keep him forced back. At the ledge, be looking for tilts and nairs into the ground as well as gyro and lasers. Don't bother trying to get fancy, just go for the safe stuff. For kills, you are mostly looking at a long slough. Uthrow will eventually kill and be one of the more likely opportunities. Poorly spaced or cancelled aerials need to be met with usmash. Baiting out airdodges for uair is the most likely kill setup you will see. Remember not to overextend on uair if you would like to avoid Yoshi's nair and uair out of his fast fall air dodge.

Stage-wise, you want lots of space. Duck Hunt, FD, and Town and City will give you the breathing room you need in this matchup Delfino is a double-edged sword, but can work in our favor with uthrow platform and short ceilings (but that works both ways of course) Halberd is much of the same. The large middle platform makes landing against Yoshi rather difficult. Platforms don't help much since we can't poke Yoshi's shield anyway so camping under him when he's on one isnt as good as it would normally be, while it gives him plenty of extra space to harass us. Smashville will probably be your strike starter stage, so ROBO-cide is a factor. Ban Lylat cruise. Yoshi dtilt at the ledge while tilting can be extremely bad for us. The platform placement is a huge boon for him too while tilting ****s our projectiles. I also recommend banning Kongo Jungle 64 as much of your kill opportunities on Yoshi will be verticle due to how often he is in the air and he's already decently heavy. If you like Kongo Jungle, then I would suggest banning a transforming stage like Castle Siege or Wuhu Island.

TL;DR - 40:60 Yoshi at the very best.

Last edited:

Syde7

The Sultan of Smut
Premium
NNID
syde_7
@ The Real Inferno The Real Inferno did an excellent job of summarizing this matchup, imo, and I agree with virtually all the things he mentioned. There are a few things I would like to add. These are more or less "notes" so they don't really have much organization to them:

• As Inferno said, Yoshi lacks kills off throws (though he has plenty of damage options off of throws / tools for edgeguarding) so shielding is a bit safer. However, a lot of intelligent Yoshi's realize they have the tools to do well against shields in this MU if they mix up their options properly. Pinning ROB in a shield near the edge is definitely something Yoshi will want to, and have the tools to do. B-reverse netural B. Egg pressure to keep you pinned in shield/in one spot enables them to land a grab->throw->edgeguard situation. D-air to shield poke. And the threat of a surprise Down+B on a slightly worn shield is a real threat if you just assume the Yoshi won't do it.

• I personally don't like Duck Hunt as a stage in this matchup. I've had Yoshi's CP me there and I find its more difficult than other stages. The breathing room is nice, but it gives Yoshi that same amount of breathing room in the event he is in kill percent range and you're looking for a desperate kill option. Also, I despise the tree on the left hand side, as I think that helps Yoshi out far more than ROB, while at the same time being punished less for getting stuck on it as opposed to ROB. Not to mention the general annoyance of the Dog. Yes, that affects both players, but its a similar situation to the tree. It benefits Yoshi more, while hurting him less. A good thing about this stage is the possibility of DI'ing a spike into the wall and teching it.

• As Inferno said, don't try and get fancy with your edgeguards. As tempting as it is to try and gimp him, you have to assume that the Yoshi player is going to be preserving their second jump at all costs. Not to mention, he has plenty of safe aerials he can throw out to flat out beat yours should you try to go offstage. Couple that with armor on the DJ and its rarely worth the risk. For every 10 times you try it, you'll probably be successful 1-2, providing the Yoshi isn't stupid; and the other 8-9 times you fail will put you in a terrible position.

• Yoshi has some solid tools to harass us while offstage, if not straight up net a kill. Eggs are always an annoyance and can set-up for an F-air spike. If Yoshi is feeling ballsy (or he is in an advantageous position such as being a stock ahead but at a really high percent) he can utilize DJ armor + aerial (N-air to harass, B-air to KO, F-air to spike)+ fade back to relatively power through most of your defensive aerials. Also, possibility of his D-air dragging you down or popping you out for a KO or a stage spike is real... again, providing he is in a stock/percentage situation to do so.

• Echoing the sentiment of not extending on your U-airs. As mentioned, Yoshi has penty of options to punish an over-extension. U-air, N-air, and even a situational, YOLO Down+B.

• Yoshi has the luxury of having a low percent combo/string game that is almost guaranteed that puts us very close to kill percentages for his tool set. Like, he may need to tack on an additional 30-40% after his common strings stop working before we're in KO range for a bunch of his moves. ROB doesn't have that option. Our stuff works till like... 50-60% tops iirc... and we still need to tack on an additional 60-70% before we are in reliable kill range for the bulk of our options (esp. since U-throw has been nerfed).

I give this a 40:60 rating, Yoshi's favor.

Lukingordex

No Custom Titles Allowed
Switch FC
SW-6444-7862-9014
I agree with the majority of the points stated here, however, there are some things i don't agree with:

Syde7 said:
Yoshi has the luxury of having a low percent combo/string game that is almost guaranteed that puts us very close to kill percentages for his tool set. Like, he may need to tack on an additional 30-40% after his common strings stop working before we're in KO range for a bunch of his moves. ROB doesn't have that option. Our stuff works till like... 50-60% tops iirc... and we still need to tack on an additional 60-70% before we are in reliable kill range for the bulk of our options (esp. since U-throw has been nerfed).
That's not true at all. Outside of Utilt -> Uair and the VERY occasional Uair -> DJ Uair -> Uair string, Yoshi really lacks any kind of true combo.

The Real Inferno said:
Yoshi's ONLY bad quality against us is his inability to kill ROB with grabs. This makes shielding a little bit better than normal...however, he can safely fade back all of his aerials when spaced correctly before a ROB can usmash out of shield anytime you fail to powershield, so don't get too excited. He also eats shields with dair, often poking, and can b reverse his neutral b to come into a shield with an aerial grab at a moment's notice. Neutral B can also kill at higher percents when mashing out will eventually become an impossibility if you don't land on the stage, making offstage neutral b an embarrassing way to go.
- The only safe on shield aerial Yoshi has is a very well spaced fair which has like 20 frames of ending lag.

- Dair has considerably landing lag and to land properly it needs a read. If you're not predicable then neither you or your shield are going to get hit by it that easily. Also when it lands, it often either just ALMOST break the shield or poke it and cause 2%~4% damage and the last hit pops you up making any kind of follow up very unlikely.
There's one situation I agree Dair can be VERY dangerous though, it's when you are above Yoshi in a platform. I this situation, Yoshi can safely Dair R.O.B's shield by escaping any kind of punishment by moving away from the platform while hitting your shield. If he does that and then falls beneath the platform and you STILL hold your shield, he can break your shield with a Uair.

- Yoshi's Neutral B only really kills offstage at very high percents, if you mash really hard. I agree it may be something not easy to do (even myself, a Yoshi main, have problems with mashing out of stuff lol), but I believe it's something to considerate if you want to evaluate this MU considering both character's full potential at high level play.

The rest I either agree with or i'm not sure about.

My rating is a 60-40 or a 55-45 in Yoshi's advantage.

Last edited:

PUK

Smash Ace
NNID
Simlock92
3DS FC
4141-4118-5477
It's in yoshi's favor by a very small margin.
What yoshi has in his favor is safe approach and overall good neutral attack. But
1: egg is actually laggy: if he toss an egg he won't be able to react to our projectiles (at least at medium range).
2: Nair is combo breaker but can't break easily our hoo haa (forgot the name). It's outranged by jab2 and Ftilt. So no Nair approach (don't know if Nair jab is a thing though)
3: PP fsmash will be our kill move, mainly because of Uthrow nerf and difficulty to catch him in Usmash.
4: camp camp camp
5:Bair is good because it has more range than his aerials. And his recovery is hard or easy to gimp with it, it needs good reads and good spacing.
6: never Nair, because you will be outspeed, juggled and die.
7: camp more
8: his dash attack has like one million frame active and will go acrross ordin bridge so gyro in hand and toss, toss, camp and kill (you can challenge it it has like no priority).
9: if he's above run away, don't shield don't try to juggle don't commit suicide

Big yoshi issue is difficulty to kill: Usmash and Uair are his primary kill moves i remember, and if you camp sticked to the ground he won't be able to easily land them, and Fsmash is huge but really telegraphed. He can stage spike with Dair and meteor with Fair so you have to be impredictible in your recovery : go up and FF, go under the stage or do what you want but never three times the same thing.

YoHeKing

Smash Master
NNID
YoHeKing
3DS FC
1504-5702-2379
Yoshi can sheild break rob thougj right? And yoshi dosnt need nair to get out of robs combos. He has his 2nd jump.

Also yoshi has a ton of true combos and insane strings.

PUK

Smash Ace
NNID
Simlock92
3DS FC
4141-4118-5477
Yoshi can sheild break rob thougj right? Absolutly, but DownB as poor range so you can avoid it.
And yoshi dosnt need nair to get out of robs combos. He has his 2nd jump. You will eat damage anyway, but yes. Rob combo are not combo mostly.

Also yoshi has a ton of true combos and insane strings.
Which combo. I know MK combo, shiek combo, but yoshi?
So 55-45 yoshi, because we need more work to win. I don't want to do that usually, but go to time out if needed.

YoHeKing

Smash Master
NNID
YoHeKing
3DS FC
1504-5702-2379
Yoshi has insane true combos. There harder to pull off but heres one. Nair(right near ground)>up tilt(I think twice)>up air>up air>up air. Guaranteed at the right percent.

YoHeKing

Smash Master
NNID
YoHeKing
3DS FC
1504-5702-2379
Dont know if this combo works on rob. It works on some other characters. It has to be at right percentages. You cant just do this at any percentage. He has way more then that though. His back air can spike into combos like MKs.
Egglay counts as a true combo. You can do alot of damage getting one of those and you can still string afterwards!

Last edited:

PUK

Smash Ace
NNID
Simlock92
3DS FC
4141-4118-5477
Yoshi has insane true combos. There harder to pull off but heres one. Nair(right near ground)>up tilt(I think twice)>up air>up air>up air. Guaranteed at the right percent.
Seems legit (look like a string though) but if it doesn't kill it's just a damage racker so no not that scarry, and like i said, you need to land a little range Nair/Utilt against a character which don't want to let you approach and won't try things like dash grab. And you can DI/jump/b reverse to escape most strings, but i presume yoshi can catch you.
And yoshi Bair is unsafe, like MKs lol.

YoHeKing

Smash Master
NNID
YoHeKing
3DS FC
1504-5702-2379
inescapableost: 19043528 said:
Seems legit (look like a string though) but if it doesn't kill it's just a damage racker so no not that scarry, and like i said, you need to land a little range Nair/Utilt against a character which don't want to let you approach and won't try things like dash grab. And you can DI/jump/b reverse to escape most strings, but i presume yoshi can catch you.
And yoshi Bair is unsafe, like MKs lol.
No its inescapable. I know a ton about yoshi. With 23,000 kos and a ton of battles I think I would know. If you skip the nair part and you get someone with it on the top platform of BF it kos at 40 or lower lol. Almost impossible to pull off though. But wouldnt a rob have a hard time recovoring against a good yoshi? Robs recovory is pretty slow. Yoshis back air is mostly a punish move. I often find myself using it as a punish not an approach. Its pretty good for edguardding though for sure.

Last edited:

Lukingordex

No Custom Titles Allowed
Switch FC
SW-6444-7862-9014
Nair to Utilt is not a true combo in most situations, though it's pretty kick and most people does fall for it simply because they don't expect the Utilt.

Also Nairing out of nowhere as an approach is not recommended considering R.O.B can easily just shield grab it lol

PUK said:
Big yoshi issue is difficulty to kill: Usmash and Uair are his primary kill moves i remember, and if you camp sticked to the ground he won't be able to easily land them, and Fsmash is huge but really telegraphed. He can stage spike with Dair and meteor with Fair so you have to be impredictible in your recovery : go up and FF, go under the stage or do what you want but never three times the same thing.
Yes, I forgot to mention it, Yoshi has a hard time killing people because his kill moves requires a read to land.

Dair doesn't spike anyone though, it either pops people up or does a weird frontal knockback.

Last edited:

YoHeKing

Smash Master
NNID
YoHeKing
3DS FC
1504-5702-2379
Lukinhasss said:
Nair to Utilt is not a true combo in most situations, though it's pretty kick and most people does fall for it simply because they don't expect the Utilt.

Also Nairing out of nowhere as an approach is not recommended considering R.O.B can easily just shield grab it lol
You dont just randomly use it... you have to use it almost right before you land. You do this the lag is so little I dont think rob can punish. But if you do get a hitbwith this even at higher percentages you can true combo into moves. You can nair into fair around 50% if your opponent DIs left right or down. But even before 80% you combo into dash no matter what DI. Yoshis complex.

PUK

Smash Ace
NNID
Simlock92
3DS FC
4141-4118-5477
No its inescapable. I know a ton about yoshi. With 23,000 kos and a ton of battles I think I would know. If you skip the nair part and you get someone with it on the top platform of BF it kos at 40 or lower lol. Almost impossible to pull off though. But wouldnt a rob have a hard time recovoring against a good yoshi? Robs recovory is pretty slow. Yoshis back air is mostly a punish move. I often find myself using it as a punish not an approach. Its pretty good for edguardding though for sure.
Rob can go all the way from the lower blast line, so you can wait for years until yoshi goes back to the stage. But yes we always need to be careful, although don't forget we can act during our upB

YoHeKing

Smash Master
NNID
YoHeKing
3DS FC
1504-5702-2379
Rob can go all the way from the lower blast line, so you can wait for years until yoshi goes back to the stage. But yes we always need to be careful, although don't forget we can act during our upB
Dair still spikes and bair. All yoshi good yoshi users know how to do dair correctly. But isnt rob vulnerable near the sides of him as he recovors? Edgegaurding rob isnt really deadly though.

Also alot of yoshis moves kill. Even his nair fair bair down smash up smash and down smash. His down B is really deadly.

Last edited:

Lukingordex

No Custom Titles Allowed
Switch FC
SW-6444-7862-9014
You dont just randomly use it... you have to use it almost right before you land. You do this the lag is so little I dont think rob can punish. But if you do get a hitbwith this even at higher percentages you can true combo into moves. You can nair into fair around 50% if your opponent DIs left right or down. But even before 80% you combo into dash no matter what DI. Yoshis complex.
I Just tested and I can confirm that both Nair -> Utilt ( at very low %s) and Nair -> Fair (at 55%~65%) on R.O.B are true combos, however, Yoshi has to be exaclty inside R.O.B when Nairing or else it won't be a true combo, which would be something not easy to do.

Last edited:

PUK

Smash Ace
NNID
Simlock92
3DS FC
4141-4118-5477
Sorry double post.
You always have 4 frame of lag if an aerial AC. Not huge, but it means you need to have really fast move to avoid a frame 7 grab. Don't know yoshi frame data, but usually jab works.
Dair still spikes and bair. All yoshi good yoshi users know how to do dair correctly. But isnt rob vulnerable near the sides of him as he recovors? Edgegaurding rob isnt really deadly though.
Rob being vulnérable means he has to be unpredictible. And from the moment yoshi loses his SA laser and gyro have enough KB to kill his momentum.
But yeah always go offstage against rob, it's not a lost of time.

YoHeKing

Smash Master
NNID
YoHeKing
3DS FC
1504-5702-2379
=kinhasss, post: 19043865, member: 209122"]I Just tested and I can confirm that both Nair -> Utilt ( at very low %s) and Nair -> Fair (at 55%~65%) on R.O.B are true combos, however, Yoshi has to be exaclty inside R.O.B when Nairing or else it won't be a true combo, which would be something not easy to do.
Im gonna test if yoshi can nair lock rob when hes in sheild. Also of course the combo is hard to pull off. Ive done it many times.
Would love to battle you rob mains too.

People say its a uneven MU for yoshi or rob but I totally think its even. Approaching rob from below is somthing yoshi users often do which is not wise. Eggs defenetly help yoshi but rob has the ablity to edgaurd even the greatest yoshi.

His fair is really good against yoshi I know for a fact though.

Forgot to mention. Rob VS yoshi on BF I think rob wins but im not exactly sure. Yoshi does have some ridiculous combos on BF but robs up smash is really good through the platforms. Idk tho

Last edited:

Lukingordex

No Custom Titles Allowed
Switch FC
SW-6444-7862-9014
Well someone's Usmash being really good through platforms hardly changes a MU

Syde7

The Sultan of Smut
Premium
NNID
syde_7
I agree with the majority of the points stated here, however, there are some things i don't agree with:

That's not true at all. Outside of Utilt -> Uair and the VERY occasional Uair -> DJ Uair -> Uair string, Yoshi really lacks any kind of true combo.
I'll defer to one of the Yoshi mains, such as yourself about what combos/strings exist for that character, and I concur that his 'true combo' game might be relatively weak.

Though, outside of the low percent stuff you mentioned, and maybe a few that you didn't mention & I've forgotten, I feel that the 'strings' are somewhat easier to convert for Yoshi in this MU than in most due to ROB's options / size/ floatiness /speed & priority of aerials as a defense. These pack enough of a wallop to get us to a range where he needs a lot less 'additional percent' to get us into KO range, than vice versa.

Outside of that, good stuff and insight. Much appreciated.

Last edited by a moderator:

YoHeKing

Smash Master
NNID
YoHeKing
3DS FC
1504-5702-2379
Well som ne's Usmash being really good through platforms hardly changes a MU
Trust me it changes alot. Yoshi likes to recovor from above. Yoshi can have trouble getting through the platforms. Yoshi isnt safe at all on BF. Rob can camp pretty good under the platforms. It just makes the MU a bit diffrent for yoshi. Not impossible but it just adds a advantage for rob.

I know a rob that beat M2K. Havnt fought him yet but everyone says I can beat him. Im sure it will be close though.

And yoshi has TONS of true combos. Trust me man. They can even be comboed into strings. His up tilt can combo into a up air. If rob ever slides off a platform yoshi can do a massibe true combo. Alot of yoshi players dont combo though. I say we have battles so can show you yoshis true power. Yoshi can jab combo too!

Also am I the only yoshi main here? Oh well. Glad I could help!

Last edited:

Crome

#ROBSquad
NNID
sboles66
3DS FC
1289-8218-1492
Switch FC
SW 7896 6401 6209
Yoshi definitely has Uair set ups, I'm not sure if they're 100% true combos. Uair is definitely a real option Yoshi always has, whether it be from the ground or the air.

Well someone's Usmash being really good through platforms hardly changes a MU
I'd say it's pretty important. R.O.B's usmash kills at around 100%-120% from the base of battlefield.

Last edited:

YoHeKing

Smash Master
NNID
YoHeKing
3DS FC
1504-5702-2379
Yoshi can down throw up air combo rob in early percents. Wrong DI can even down throw up air kill a rob. Guaranteed. Also I findcertain custom moves for yoshi help I noticed. The flying stars custom down B os pretty good against him as it cancels out some of his projectiles.

I still think the MU is even though. But im also the only yoshi player in the yoshi community that thinks sheik isnt a bad MU for yoshi. Dont know if im the best there but ive been fighting some yoshis and seem to be alot better. There still good though but I feel like people need to understand Yoshi more. Also if anyones up for battles I can add you. Would like to fight more people on smashboards.

Crome

#ROBSquad
NNID
sboles66
3DS FC
1289-8218-1492
Switch FC
SW 7896 6401 6209
But im also the only yoshi player in the yoshi community that thinks sheik isnt a bad MU for yoshi. Dont know if im the best there but ive been fighting some yoshis and seem to be alot better. There still good though but I feel like people need to understand Yoshi more.
Relative to your skill, how well do you think this yoshi plays?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TeZ8PLS4Q_4

Last edited:

YoHeKing

Smash Master
NNID
YoHeKing
3DS FC
1504-5702-2379
Hes pretty good. I dont underestimate people but im positive I play yoshi alot better then him. Not doughting his skills but I have alot more experience most likly. With 5,000 hours of playtime xD
Im a no lifer with smash4.
Ive played more then ZeRo

He seems pretty good but thats alot of eggs. But I try not to underestimate. And I woould rather show my skills and not type about it anyways.
Ill be uploading some insane edgaurding, combos and strings because I would rather show then talk about it.

Last edited:

Crome

#ROBSquad
NNID
sboles66
3DS FC
1289-8218-1492
Switch FC
SW 7896 6401 6209
Hes pretty good. I dont underestimate people but im positive I play yoshi alot better then him. Not doughting his skills but I have alot more experience most likly. With 5,000 hours of playtime xD
Im a no lifer with smash4.
Ive played more then ZeRo

He seems pretty good but thats alot of eggs. But I try not to underestimate. And I woould rather show my skills and not type about it anyways.
Any advice on how to punish egg spam? What are some things he's doing wrong R.O.B could capitalize on?

YoHeKing

Smash Master
NNID
YoHeKing
3DS FC
1504-5702-2379
Any advice on how to punish eggg spam? What are some things he's doing wrong R.O.B could capitalize on?
You shouldnt have a problem with egg spam. Just avoid it and use lazers and gyros. When the yoshi gets more agressive you probanly know what to do. Running into sheild is a great option. And when you get close to the yoshi dont think about attacking or grabing. After he throws the egg and you get close to him he will most likly throw a egg, nair or aerials. He wont think about grabing or using most likly. When you se your chance use a safe move. Dont try this when yoshi is mid stage. Pressure him back with gryos if he wants to spam eggs. Its also very predictable and easy to react. Grabing is pretty good but if they land near sheild its really good to down smash. Once they are off cliff try some set ups. Throwing gryos up in air near cliff is realy good as you attenpt to edguard the yoshi. When he trys to punish you the gryo will be in the way or even hit him.

Just what I find effective alot.
I forgot to mention that if a yoshis coming to you and hes a distance away but on the same horizontal level as you gyros can gimp yoshi. And when yoshi throws eghs hes normally the same height as the other times he throws eggs. In air or ground. Lazers should be easy to controll to hit him. Eggs cancel out alot. They even cancel counters jf angled right. Even shulks counter can be canceld with eggs. Its because it has 2 really fast hitboxes. Sadly Yoshi cant cancel out lazers but he can cancel out gryos.

Last edited:
NNID
Shado_Chimera
3DS FC
2019-9854-8378
Be careful about Gyro use. If you put the Gyro on the floor Yoshi can easily pick it up with a Nair. While Yoshi has a Gyro in hand he still has access to a grab, a kill move and his own projectile. Camping Yoshi can be very difficult. He does well against characters who don't approach.

Syde7

The Sultan of Smut
Premium
NNID
syde_7
Be careful about Gyro use. If you put the Gyro on the floor Yoshi can easily pick it up with a Nair. While Yoshi has a Gyro in hand he still has access to a grab, a kill move and his own projectile. Camping Yoshi can be very difficult. He does well against characters who don't approach.
Very good points. Anytime I rely on camping hardcore vs. Yoshi, I wind up getting in a world of trouble. I personally think a reserved/cautious offense that consists of low percents Bread & Butter combo/strings, and an aggressive yet cautios poking game with camping mixed in as "support" or as an "in" to move into a solid poking range is the way to go in this MU,

YoHeKing

Smash Master
NNID
YoHeKing
3DS FC
1504-5702-2379
Yes but im talking about gryo set ups. Hes gonna go for the gryo and when he gets near you could get him with a surprise attack. I was talking about having the gryo close to you though. Like if you throw the gyro to force him to recovor high you could easily get a free smash attack. Mind games and setups sure do help against yoshi but there defenetly not guaranteed. Just like how if yoshi were to edguard a rob from below and he up airs you. If you hit him he would probably get KOd. If you mess up the outcome wont be that bad sence he dosnt have many deadly options under stage.

Gotmilk0112

Smash Apprentice
Oh good, so I'm not crazy.

Yeah, I really struggle against Yoshi, despite being able to beat other "high tier" characters without much trouble. Could never really pin down exactly what made Yoshi such a ***** to fight.

FalconXD

Smash Cadet
NNID
ItalianFalcon
Here is a video of me fighting Mr.Doom from 2 months ago. I am so lost on this MU, any tips would help.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=alKQwE0XnLs
Stay out of the air as much as you can. You don't want to challenge Yoshi in the air since most of his ariels will trump ROB's. Other than that I would say for general advice is not camping as much against Yoshi and listen to what people posted above. If you don't approach Yoshi he can hit you with eggs and then run up and get a bunch of attacks off you. Like mentioned above I would stay cautious and try to find a way in using minimal camping. Also unless the Yoshi is terrible at using his jumps don't try and spike him, but rather set up the gyro around the ledge and predict where he's going to land (be warned though if he uses nair he can grab it). I wish I could be more help, but this is a puzzling MU for me as well.

Top Bottom