• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Questions about Eruption (Neutral B)?

Conn1496

Smash Ace
3DS FC
0344-9757-7217
So, I don't play Ike often, but I'm starting to kind of get the hang of him as an alt. However, I do have a couple of questions about his Neutral B, Eruption, that I just wondered if anyone had answers for.

First off, how good is Eruption for momentum cancelling? I find that I can usually FF into Eruption and abuse the slight fall delay for an interesting fall mixup. I also find that it's pretty good during a head-on approach vs approach situation to short hop Eruption, cancelling your momentum and instantly following up with it. Are these good strategies? I ask because Eruption is a move I underestimate for the most part, and wondered if it had much cred outside of it's decent edgeguarding and KO properties.

Second, has anyone else ever happened to have Eruption slide them along the floor? I've had this happen on atleast two occasions I can remember - once while turning (towards the turn), the other while landing - and I wondered if this had any tactical or practical uses to it and/or how the [fight for friends] it even happens.

san.

1/Sympathy = Divide By Zero
NNID
Sansoldier
3DS FC
4957-2846-2924
Eruption doesn't momentum cancel. The reason Ike players rarely ever use eruption on stage is because it's punishable and the uncharged version doesn't hit very hard. Eruption's as slow as a smash attack without any of the power. If you can predict that an opponent is coming towards you easily, then eruption is a good choice. Unfortunately, that situation typically only occurs when the opponent is returning to the stage.

Eruption can slide on the ground, and the distance depends on your timing in Ike's run animation. He slides farther if you time it as Ike's legs are crossing each other.

A2ZOMG

Smash Legend
NNID
A2ZOMG
Switch FC
SW 8400 1713 9427
Eruption from what I've seen can sometimes be used in place of U-smash as it's very slightly easier to time (slightly longer duration hitbox) and can cover similar options. Mostly though it's best to use it specifically for edgeguard situations where you can potentially nail people before they grab the ledge (it has good range above and below Ike).

Last edited:

Zyverah

Smash Rookie
I tended to use eruption when I am falling back to the stage and my foe is a little bit the ways off in front of me. Since if they try to come at me it'll probably hit them, from the side, below or up a little. Though it hitting upward is rarer. Draw back here is that if they don't go at you, you'll probably be hit or if you use the eruption with your back to them, you will not hit them.

Last edited:

Aninymouse

3DS Surfer
3DS FC
3540-0120-0225
Eruption isn't that safe of an option when you're not edgeguarding, but it's for that reason that going YOLO with it, like, once in a set, can totally throw your opponent's mindgames off.

Uncharged, all it really does is tack on some decent % and pop them up slightly, unless they have really high %. So, really, that's the other reason it isn't used much: not only is it laggy, but it just doesn't have much reward when you do use it successfully. I mainly use it when I feel like I'm losing and I need to make my opponent stop in their tracks. It jars them, precisely because they never thought in a million years you'd use it and they'd get hit by it.

So, with that said, it isn't a go-to option, as far as I can see.

Then again, I don't have a great win ratio, either, so I don't know if you should listen to me too much :p Just being honest.

Conn1496

Smash Ace
3DS FC
0344-9757-7217
Eruption isn't that safe of an option when you're not edgeguarding, but it's for that reason that going YOLO with it, like, once in a set, can totally throw your opponent's mindgames off.

Uncharged, all it really does is tack on some decent % and pop them up slightly, unless they have really high %. So, really, that's the other reason it isn't used much: not only is it laggy, but it just doesn't have much reward when you do use it successfully. I mainly use it when I feel like I'm losing and I need to make my opponent stop in their tracks. It jars them, precisely because they never thought in a million years you'd use it and they'd get hit by it.

So, with that said, it isn't a go-to option, as far as I can see.

Then again, I don't have a great win ratio, either, so I don't know if you should listen to me too much :p Just being honest.
Jeez, forgot all about this thread for a sec. O.o
...But yeah, to be honest, I find it's rarely worth using at all nowadays. It's a good idea for a mix-up though, and I will try and throw it in as an extra since I have started playing Ike more often, but I just find that it's hitbox is too awkward and small (though still easily underestimatable) compared to his other moves, and you can usually just use something else in it's place.

On the upside it does cancel fast fall, so I guess you can kinda use that to bait a whiff from above?.. *shrug* It's a long shot. xD

Yoh

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Yoh_Zephyr
Like most people I think, I mostly use it fore edgeguards since it works on a huge amount of the cast.

Rarely when I´m falling from above, I use a reverse Eruption, sometimes people are suprised by the huge hitbox and I catch them offguard, but it´s for sure no safe option lol

Shun_one

Smash Ace
NNID
not_shun_one
Edge-guards and an occasional "surprise attack!". I've actually netted a few KOs popping out an uncharged Eruption when my opponent is at high percents. It takes some serious knowledge to know when to use it, because the hit box is bigger and lingers longer than it appears and you can surprise people with it. I've KO'ed a few foes this way since they unwittingly ran into an active frame.

Otherwise, edge guarding is it's best use, when you've decided that leaping out to f-air or b-air is too risky.

Definitely use it sparingly. I think it still has super armor on a certain frames? I encountered an instance where it might be appeared to be, but I haven't tested it.

Arrei

Smash Lord
It has super armor when released at full power, so if charged, even hitting you with their recovery move won't save your opponent. I've had opponents like Ness attempt to direct a PK Thunder 2 straight at me only to get thwarted by the super armor.

Shun_one

Smash Ace
NNID
not_shun_one
It has super armor when released at full power, so if charged, even hitting you with their recovery move won't save your opponent. I've had opponents like Ness attempt to direct a PK Thunder 2 straight at me only to get thwarted by the super armor.
Ah, that explains it. Thanks. This warrants...experiments.

Dardo

Smash Rookie
I keep forgetting that Ike's Eruption no longer has invincibility frames throughout the attack unless fully charged. :/

Arrei

Smash Lord
Captain Falcon and Ganondorf are a couple of the easiest to hit with it due to their extremely telegraphed recoveries and lack of projectile. Anyone with no hitbox on their recovery is generally also easy to hit since you can go right up to the edge to use Ragnell's hitbox for the maximum number of active frames on the attack, but that can vary since certain characters can stop your charge prematurely like Villager with his slingshot and Lloid.

Characters with high air time (so namely, Kirby and Jigglypuff) are the hardest to land it on since they can stall for time.

Top Bottom