• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Puzzle League/Panel De Pon General (Former SSB4 Lip Support Thread)

~ Valkyrie ~

Holy Maiden Warrior
Premium
NNID
IndyGo98
3DS FC
2793-0906-0731
Switch FC
SW-7670-7999-3483
I THINK... I remember discovering something interesting pertaining to all the above in Tumblr.

Debug Menu
"At the Title Screen, press Up(2x), Right(4x), Down, Left(10x), Up(4x), Right, Down(6x), B. At the new screen, press the A button until you hear a sound effect (24x) then press the B button until you hear a sound effect (24x). If using something other than a Game Boy Color, just skip to pressing A and B 24 times."
Haven't tested this yet, but if this works in the localized releases... then it appears Lip (or Furil) managed to sneak through localization right under the noses of NOA. Interesting.

RankoChan

Smash Apprentice
The code does work in the localized releases (those screens you posted are from a USA copy) and the prototype was even translated into english for the USA/PAL versions of the game. Not only that but graphics found within the rom show that an english translation of Panel de Pon GB was in the works before the game's cancellation. This article has more info concerning the game: http://tcrf.net/Pokémon_Puzzle_Challenge

I still find it amazing something like this was hidden away for so many years!

Delicious Tears

Smash Journeyman
Something tells me that NoA might have a secret fairy fetish, but they keep hiding them because they don't want the others to touch their precious fairies!

This could explain why Lip has yet to make an appearance.

APC99

Smash Master
NNID
APC-99
3DS FC
3840-8265-8211
Or they're probably scared about how the male demographic will react to such a puzzle game with girly fairies in it. :troll:
Heck, I'm one of the manliest of men and I want to play Panel de Pon pretty soon! Am I right, guys?

CatRaccoonBL

You can do it!
NNID
RaccoonBL
3DS FC
2294-4606-0767
I actually prefer a lot of things that would be consider girly and cutesy.

Manly man things are just so meh to me.

:/

BluePikmin11

Akko is my dear daughter!
NNID
blue
I thought it was the SMT x FE crossover? I just checked, so there was a new IS game coming up. (Maybe it's Pushmo for Wii U?)
But if that's not it, I would be pretty excited for Lip fans, but personally since I'm not much into puzzle games (and the fact there are god players for nearly every puzzle game like Dr. Mario), I'd be a little stuck on whether to buy it because I love it's gameplay.
I would prefer if it was, oh you know, a standard RPG adventure with lovable humor and unique transformation mechanics. :p (A game that Int. Sys. made back in 1992)

Kapus

Smash Ace
NNID
Kaplus4
3DS FC
3626-0411-0921
Then again we have existent things like bronies and male Powerpuff Girls fans. So fairies shouldn't be much of a stretch? Right?
I'm pretty sure the audience of today is more accepting of such "girly" works than the audience a couple of decades ago was.

BluePikmin11

NNID
blue
We need an option where you can make the fairies male or female in the next Panel de Pon game. :troll:
There would be two different cartridges with different boxart showcasing male and female fairies.

FlareHabanero

Banned via Warnings
I actually prefer a lot of things that would be consider girly and cutesy.

Manly man things are just so meh to me.

:/
I suppose the problem with masculinity is that, often times, it tries too hard and it starts to become generic. I mean the big hulking guy that loves the guns and babes would be fine if it was done in spades, but it's kind of overplayed. But at the same time, I think that something that is cute to the point of inducing diabetes is just as bad. I mean being cute isn't a problem, but without substance it's like eating raw sugar straight out of the bag.

CatRaccoonBL

You can do it!
NNID
RaccoonBL
3DS FC
2294-4606-0767
So fairies shouldn't be much of a stretch? Right?
Ever since Pokemon introduced the fairy type, I've become more and more interested in fairies. They're both so cool and adorable. <3

I'm pretty sure the audience of today is more accepting of such "girly" works than the audience a couple of decades ago was.
At the same time, there is still a pretty annoyingly big chunk of people who hate when boys like girly things. :(

Kapus

Smash Ace
NNID
Kaplus4
3DS FC
3626-0411-0921
At the same time, there is still a pretty annoyingly big chunk of people who hate when boys like girly things. :(
That is true. That sort of discrimination can be found just about anywhere, born from the (bad) mindset that boys should stick to "boy things" and girls should stick to "girl things". It is rather unfortunate, so we simply must try to keep an open mind and encourage others to do so as well.

This is slightly off topic, but really, you should just be yourself, whoever you may be. You're not harming anyone by taking interest in the things that interest you or anything, so don't let the short-sightedness of other people bring you down. I am perhaps transgender, so take it from me.

(not saying any of this does bring you down, just want to throw this out there.)

Tetra's Tracker

Smash Journeyman
Anyone played that evil, annoying, cheating ******* of a game Candy Crush? Notice how thematically similar it is to Panel de Pon? All pink and bright and cutesy? The main character is even a cute little girl. Look how incredibly popular that is. No one really seems to care about the 'girly' style, in fact it seems to be praised for making the game more memorable. Perhaps that game shows, as much as I hate this, that people are willing to accept a feminine theme if the gameplay is fun/addictive enough, which the gameplay of Puzzle League certainly is.

MasterMushroom

Smash Journeyman
Where have you been MasterMushroom. D:
Do you have those sources available regarding the journals made by Sakurai menitioning characters like Geno and Sable?

I'm assuming Lip is getting ready to be in Smash. When was this art made?
I've been off for good on any sorts of forums due to life; that and I've had a good run from all the years from lurking online. That, plus too many responsibilities for me to care to lurk anything at all. I'm basically a phantom like the rest such as my old buds: Hector the axe & Algus (from Nsider times) + Fliptroopa and parrot head (from Smash boards). It's better to keep it that way tbh.

All I can confirm is that Sakurai, in fact, didn't mention that the "tag team" was a good idea. Actually,he didn't mention it at all; it was just a fans suggestion. To the response of Sakurai; saying Sable would be a better choice.

Not sure what you mean about Geno. I've heard recently from some Japanese people; which can be complete BS, that when he actually used to tweet last year, he used to block anyone that mentioned Geno to him. No one can even try that out now as his bio says flat out; he won't talk to anyone while developing this (but close friends of his; such as Ness vice actor who works at Nintendo and is a close friend of Sakurai as shown trough their occasional banter)

Most of the "original" truth was on the japanese smash site. I had to do my work the hard way before by finding all kinds of archived posts at the old Nsider by unconventional and odd means. Sadly, some people mixed BS and half truths (ie Sakurais Favorite character was Sigurd; that he would like to see Stafy and Kirby together, etc). Regarding Stafy, I did find out he does have original copies of the game, and he does know of how much the Japanese fan base pairs Kirby and Stafy together. He hasn't said anything publicly regarding "that" though

I'm pretty sure without a doubt Sable is one of his many true retro favorites. I would genuinely try to confirm that to you via tweeting him whether or not he likes Sable behind Takamaru or on his level; but the guy isn't accepting any form of communication with anyone. As for the picture I posted, it was made the day after Rosalina was confirmed.

BluePikmin11

NNID
blue
Well you did post on the Geno thread that one time, was that tweet is what you really ment? I think the Geno tweet was fake, it was already debunked a while ago. Is there anything else regarding other retros and other characters, or was Sable, Mach Rider, Lip and a few others the only known mention you have?
You gave me lots of hope regarding Sable by the way. Embarrass

Last edited:

FirstBlade

Smash Journeyman
I've been off for good on any sorts of forums due to life; that and I've had a good run from all the years from lurking online. That, plus too many responsibilities for me to care to lurk anything at all. I'm basically a phantom like the rest such as my old buds: Hector the axe & Algus (from Nsider times) + Fliptroopa and parrot head (from Smash boards). It's better to keep it that way tbh.

All I can confirm is that Sakurai, in fact, didn't mention that the "tag team" was a good idea. Actually,he didn't mention it at all; it was just a fans suggestion. To the response of Sakurai; saying Sable would be a better choice.

Not sure what you mean about Geno. I've heard recently from some Japanese people; which can be complete BS, that when he actually used to tweet last year, he used to block anyone that mentioned Geno to him. No one can even try that out now as his bio says flat out; he won't talk to anyone while developing this (but close friends of his; such as Ness vice actor who works at Nintendo and is a close friend of Sakurai as shown trough their occasional banter)

Most of the "original" truth was on the japanese smash site. I had to do my work the hard way before by finding all kinds of archived posts at the old Nsider by unconventional and odd means. Sadly, some people mixed BS and half truths (ie Sakurais Favorite character was Sigurd; that he would like to see Stafy and Kirby together, etc). Regarding Stafy, I did find out he does have original copies of the game, and he does know of how much the Japanese fan base pairs Kirby and Stafy together. He hasn't said anything publicly regarding "that" though

I'm pretty sure without a doubt Sable is one of his many true retro favorites. I would genuinely try to confirm that to you via tweeting him whether or not he likes Sable behind Takamaru or on his level; but the guy isn't accepting any form of communication with anyone. As for the picture I posted, it was made the day after Rosalina was confirmed.
:sadeyes:... Please, not here.

~ Valkyrie ~

Holy Maiden Warrior
Premium
NNID
IndyGo98
3DS FC
2793-0906-0731
Switch FC
SW-7670-7999-3483
Peach has now been shown to use a move which has her create a rainbow. Lip's been quite associated with these, and seeing this here out of nowhere made me perk bit interest.

What do you guys think if this regarding Lip?

Last edited:

Louie G.

Smash Hero
Peach has now been shown to use a move which has her create a rainbow. Lip's been quite associated with these, and seeing this here out of nowhere made me perk bit interest.

What do you guys think if this regarding Lip?
That's pretty interesting, although I think it may only dent her chances slightly.
What we should really keep our eyes peeled for is Lip's Stick. If that shows up then Lip's chances are as good as dead.

Kapus

Smash Ace
NNID
Kaplus4
3DS FC
3626-0411-0921
What we should really keep our eyes peeled for is Lip's Stick. If that shows up then Lip's chances are as good as dead.
Not necessarily. While I think it might diminish her chances a little, it definitely wouldn't deconfirm her. The Screw Attack/Badge didn't really bother Samus much.

That said, Lip is only associated with rainbows in the way she travels about the map screen in the original Panel De Pon. It's not really a prominent motif with her like plants or puzzle pieces are. I don't think this alters her chances in the slightest.

RouffWestie

Smash Lord
Lip will not be revealed today and if she is, I will legitimately eat my underpants and upload the video to Youtube.

CatRaccoonBL

You can do it!
NNID
RaccoonBL
3DS FC
2294-4606-0767
So.

With Little Mac revealed, what do you all think of Lip's chances now.

Personally, it's nice to know that even if a character gets referenced in someone else's moveset, they aren't automatically deconfirmed.
(Villager's punching glove).

Meaning if Kirby gets his garbage block transformation back, Lip can still be in.

Other then that, can't really say it does anything significant.

Homelessvagrant

Smash Lord
3DS FC
5455-9417-5731
I see what you're putting down, however I believe Kirby's garbage block is more of a reference to Lip than villager's gloves are to Punch-out (though I still agree with your statement). However I would prefer that Kirby lose the garbage if Lip is in.

LipFlare

Smash Cadet
Hello everyone
This Topic is so exciting! After all I can't help myself from signing up! I followed since years! With this said...

Lip needs to be in Smash! The Nintendogs stage contains a cube ,where two of the viewable sites show game blocks from Panel de Pon (even if the green site doesn't show a circle) and there is also a light blue site.^^

Since some time I think that Lip is the "Glitch" of her own francise (Wreck-it Ralpf reference)! I mean at least she is a queen but someone prevent her from claim her throne and replace her with... ABSOLUTELY NOTHING (PdP GBA-DS)! With that the Series is soulless. But I refuse to think that there aren't people like those ,which maintain the Pokemon Puzzle Challenge Easteregg.

The series needs to be renewed! Lip and her friends need to return form the purgatory-of-neglected-Videogamecharacter and show Lip as the representative of the series... HER Series by let her enter the battle whould be a major advance she have more than likely the potential!!!

Lip for Smash Bros. 4

P.S. Apologies if something with the grammar isn't alright *bow*

Greetings and a nice evening
LipFlare

Last edited:

Bingoshi

Smash Apprentice
Nintendogstage.png

Whoa, LipFlare just brought something to my attention... Some of the panels from Panel de Pon are seen in the Nintendogs stage on SSB 3DS... That just blew my mind for some reason... Of course, everybody probably knew that already and I just didn't notice it at all... Still, it's a cool reference if nothing else.

FirstBlade

Smash Journeyman
So.

With Little Mac revealed, what do you all think of Lip's chances now.

Personally, it's nice to know that even if a character gets referenced in someone else's moveset, they aren't automatically deconfirmed.
(Villager's punching glove).

Meaning if Kirby gets his garbage block transformation back, Lip can still be in.

Other then that, can't really say it does anything significant.
I don't think Villager's boxing gloves were a reference to Little Mac and Punch Out! in the slightest because...

Yep, you could acquire boxing themed items for a while now. Not only that, but the design and color were completely different from Mac's. Thus, it is derived from Animal Crossing. This being said, I agree with you for the most part about a character not being 100% deconfirmed because of a small reference. (The balloon helmet on the other hand...)

CatRaccoonBL

You can do it!
NNID
RaccoonBL
3DS FC
2294-4606-0767
The thing is why exactly the Villager has the balloon helmet in the first place. That is because there were playable nes games in the gamecube animal crossing which include Balloon fight and, you guessed it, punch out.

So, I wouldn't say it isn't a reference in the slightest.

BTW, Lip's now one of the entries to be analyzed on in the Uniqueness Tier-thread for this week. Go out and tell what ya think she can bring.
Lip absolutely deserves the S ranks she gets. Really, even if she doesn't become a sapper character, a puzzle base move set is still awesome. An A- at least.

RouffWestie

Smash Lord
Oh boy. So LipFlare just made me realize that the Nintendogs stage references Panel de Pon.
Knowing that, I looked at the TV one more time.
Guess what I saw?

FirstBlade

Smash Journeyman
The thing is why exactly the Villager has the balloon helmet in the first place. That is because there were playable nes games in the gamecube animal crossing which include Balloon fight and, you guessed it, punch out.

Lip absolutely deserves the S ranks she gets. Really, even if she doesn't become a sapper character, a puzzle base move set is still awesome. An A- at least.
The thing about that though is, like I said, while the balloon helmet is a direct reference, the boxing gloves aren't exactly Punch Out! inspired. My question from the get-go was "If this is somehow a reference to Little Mac why aren't they green and the same design?" Considering you can get a whole boxing theme in the AC games (since the very first AC game actually) it is still more of a reference to AC in general. Boxing gloves are not exclusive to Punch Out like the balloon helmet is to Balloon Fight. This would kind of be like saying "a sword using character is de-confirmed because of a sword". Like I said above I agree with you anyways, so I'll just leave it at that.

Also, considering the arcade in both LM's trailer and on his page do you guys think Sakurai considers Little Mac a retro character? And if he does, how does this affect Lip if at all?

Homelessvagrant

Smash Lord
3DS FC
5455-9417-5731

The thing is, the garbage block is a much more direct reference to Panel de Pon than the boxing gloves to Punch-out (not to say it isn't a reference to Punch-out). The gloves can be argued that they aren't a reference where the garbage block transformation in undeniably from Panel de Pon. What this inevitably means can be debated, but I think it should be noted otherwise.

Top Bottom