• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Project: Thank You Sakurai! Calling All Smash Fans and Artists! Under New Ownership!

Pacack

Super Pac-Fan
NNID
Pacack
3DS FC
0688-5284-6845
Essentially, although I was considering adding a 5th page for the avatar compilation.
Four pages is already gigantic. I can't add another page.

Was that for the prosecutor part? If so okay.
Also, may I try my hand at drawing Gooey?
And like, are you letting me sign? Really, are you?
Yes. The prosecutor part.

And I'd love you to try! Though I believe someone's done him...

Yes, and I thank you for doing it. SIgners are always appreciated.

Shin F.

Smash Master
I don't think we need any avatars there. We already have the art page. We don't want to make this about us and we don't want to bloat the project so that he's overwhelmed. We want to show Sakurai that we appreciate all the work he's done, and if we start including too much about who we are then it makes it about us and not about him. We include the signatures and supporters as a way of showing how many of us there are, and the art as a tribute to his work and his characters, and a message from us as a group so he knows what this is and why we did it. We don't really need any more than that.

Last edited:

Pacack

Super Pac-Fan
NNID
Pacack
3DS FC
0688-5284-6845
I don't think we need any avatars there. We already have the art page. We don't want to make this about us and we don't want to bloat the project so that he's overwhelmed. We want to show Sakurai that we appreciate all the work he's done, and if we start including too much about who we are then it makes it about us and not about him. We include the signatures and supporters as a way of showing how many of us there are, and the art as a tribute to his work and his characters, and a message from us as a group so he knows what this is and why we did it. We don't really need any more than that.
Good points.

Any objections?

APC99

Smash Master
NNID
APC-99
3DS FC
3840-8265-8211
I really don't mind it or anything, if it takes extra time, though, we should leave it be if we don't have enough time. If we do, then definitely.

Pacack

Super Pac-Fan
NNID
Pacack
3DS FC
0688-5284-6845
I really don't mind it or anything, if it takes extra time, though, we should leave it be if we don't have enough time. If we do, then definitely.
It would be time consuming. I'm mainly worried about it making this too much about us and not enough about him.

Luigi#1

Smash Champion
umm...
Signer's list please?

Also here is a horrible awful I hate the fact that al I have to drawn is a mouse pad on a Chrome Book driven Sandbag picture:

Last edited:

Luigi#1

Smash Champion
Okay, my message, signature, and Gooey picture:

"Dear Mr.Masahiro Sakurai.

Thank you, from all of the overseas Smash fans. For never failing to bring excellent Super Smash Bros. titles into the world. Also, thank the amazing and talented development team, for their skills as well. We also would like to mention the excellent people working on this game at Namco, and Sora Ltd. Every single one of you is talented and hard working, and great at making games. We all hope your arms are doing okay. You have created 2 amazing game series, Kirby and Super Smash Bros, and we feel Nintendo would be different without them. You also made the great game of Kid Icuras: Uprising, and we are grateful for that. You and the developers at Namco and Sora Ltd. are truly skilled with games, and all of your fans congratulate you on that. Please accept this small card of our appreciation, which is little compared to all you have done. Thank you. To every one working hard for our enjoyment and entertainment.

A fan,
Luigi#1.
And the rest of the overseas fans."

Signature:

Another bad picture that only has a chance if nobody else does Gooey:

Last edited:

Pacack

Super Pac-Fan
NNID
Pacack
3DS FC
0688-5284-6845
Okay, my message, signature, and Gooey picture:

"Dear Mr.Masahiro Sakurai.

Thank you, from all of the Smash fans. For never failing to bring excellent Super Smash Bros. titles into the world. Also, thank the amazing and talented development team, for their skills as well. I hope your arms are doing okay. You have created 2 amazing game series, Kirby and Super Smash Bros, and I feel Nintendo would be different without them. You also made the great game of Kid Icuras: Uprising, and we are grateful for that. You and the developers are truly skilled with games, and I congratulate you on that. Thank you.

A fan,
Luigi#1."

Signature:

Another bad picture that only has a chance if nobody else does Gooey:
Might I recommend some revisions so that it is from "us" rather than a single person? I'd also change it to "from your overseas fans", since we are by no means representative of his entire fanbase (see: Japan).

(And, of course, I've got your signature and will add your drawing to the gallery. You have my abundant gratitude.)

Morbi

Scavenger
I just wanted to say, I would never thank Sakurai. I appreciate his effort, but the real credit should go to Sora Ltd., the entire team.

Glaciacott

Smash Lord
@ Pacack Pacack - I think it would how him just how varied his fans are, and just a small portion of his fans over here.

That said, I would do the whole thing myself.
He'll get to see how diverse his fans are through the art itself, since everyone contributing has different art styles. I think the concern is that by adding avatars it makes it about who we are, instead of making it about thanking him.

Also, I don't see why it's necessary for people to pop in here to say "nah, I don't want to thank Sakurai." Sure, suggest that other people also made Smash possible, that's true. But when the purpose of the thread is to show gratitude, your posts about "sakurai doesn't need thanks" are useful to no one. You don't want to show thanks? Ok, well don't.

Lastly, I want to point out that the developing team of each Smash game has been for the most part fluid. Sora itself didn't exist for Smash 64 and Melee. As someone explained before me, the main constant is Sakurai whose vision is the one each team is recreating. Yes, it's true that no man is an island and all the work in Smash is the result of the team, but I don't think people understand the idea of a Director. Or maybe people just want to be contrarians as an excuse to not show gratitude or lift a finger, in which case, again, the comments are useless.

Last edited:

Shin F.

Smash Master
He'll get to see how diverse his fans are through the art itself, since everyone contributing has different art styles. I think the concern is that by adding avatars it makes it about who we are, instead of making it about thanking him.

Also, I don't see why it's necessary for people to pop in here to say "nah, I don't want to thank Sakurai." Sure, suggest that other people also made Smash possible, that's true. But when the purpose of the thread is to show gratitude, your posts about "sakurai doesn't need thanks" are useful to no one. You don't want to show thanks? Ok, well don't.

Lastly, I want to point out that the developing team of each Smash game has been for the most part fluid. Sora itself didn't exist for Smash 64 and Melee. As someone explained before me, the main constant is Sakurai whose vision is the one each team is recreating. Yes, it's true that no man is an island and all the work in Smash is the result of the team, but I don't think people understand the idea of a Director. Or maybe people just want to be contrarians as an excuse to not show gratitude or lift a finger, in which case, again, the comments are useless.
Tl:dr, anyone in this thread saying that Sakurai doesn't deserve thanks is wasting their time and ours for no good reason.

Last edited:

Morbi

Scavenger

I don't understand why you cannot comprehend that notion that some of us don't really care about his condition; he was contracted to perform, I am a consumer, I purchase his content. If you don't like it, make a post on a forum....

Sakurai's vision deserves praise, not the people who actually participate and make Smash what it is? That is the antithesis of logic; however, it is immaterial. If you want to thank him, by all means, do so.

Capybara Gaming

Just Vibing
@ Glaciacott Glaciacott (hope I spelled that right) - I see your point. Just thought it might be a cool idea, when I used to be in 4-H it won us grand prize for showing gow diverse of a group of people can come together under something. But I do see your point, it was just throwing some ideas out there.

Although I still would do it myself if y'all are up for it. I'd like to contribute more than just my signature but I can't draw to save my life (least not on a computer)

@ Pacack Pacack - I'll keep putting out ideas so long as you're up to hear em.

Shin F.

Smash Master
I don't understand why you cannot comprehend that notion that some of us don't really care about his condition;
Likewise, I can't see why some people don't seem to understand that we do care about his condition.
If you don't like it, make a post on a forum....
*Looks around.*
Sakurai's vision deserves praise, not the people who actually participate and make Smash what it is?
Now who said that? No one is saying the team doesn't deserve praise for the work they do, but Sakurai is the director. He's the one that's making this game - the other people there are resources he uses to do so. He's the one who is so determined to make this a great game that he is willing to damage himself to make it as perfect as possible. I doubt anyone else on the team has that kind of drive. THAT is praiseworthy.

Besides, do you even know anyone else on the team? And look at all the effort we're putting into doing this for just one person, let alone for an entire team. I have a hard time imagining Sakurai won't share this with his team anyway.
That is the antithesis of logic; however, it is immaterial.
The only thing illogical here to me is people coming into the thread just to say they don't care to participate in it.
If you want to thank him, by all means, do so.
Preferably without people who disagree posting that they disagree all the time.

Last edited:

Thor

Smash Champion
Put me down for non-signing supporter, or whatever it's called. He's made 3 great Smash games [and all his Kirby stuff too, I just haven't played any of it besides Air Ride (which was great)] and I look forward to the fourth Smash as well.

Morbi

Scavenger
Likewise, I can't see why some people don't seem to understand that we do care about his condition.

*Looks around.*

Now who said that? No one is saying the team doesn't deserve praise for the work they do, but Sakurai is the director. He's the one that's making this game - the other people there are resources he uses to do so. He's the one who is so determined to make this a great game that he is willing to damage himself to make it as perfect as possible. I doubt anyone else on the team has that kind of drive. THAT is praiseworthy.

The only thing illogical here to me is people coming into the thread just to say they don't care to participate in it.

Preferably without people who disagree posting that they disagree all the time.
I do understand; please allude to where I stated anything that might indicate otherwise.

Ah, I see you find my humor amusing.

No he isn't. The creative director doesn't make the game.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Creative_director
I understand that he is a prominent member of the team; that doesn't mean that he "made" Smash. That is utterly fallacious and unfathomable. Again, this is merely a career for most people, you can believe they have all of the passion in the world, it doesn't change objective fact.

I can do as I please; it is within my rights. I wished to express my opinion, if you don't like it, don't address it. It really is that simple. See, I don't pretend that I don't care, I care enough to respond to menial accusations. You don't have to.

I don't. This is actually one of the only cases. I wanted to assert that I believe that Sora Ltd. is worthy of the praise, and Namco. The team working on the game. Accrediting the value of the entire game to the creative director is inherently fallacious; something I don't agree with, so I expressed my opinion. Get over it.

Shin F.

Smash Master
I do understand; please allude to where I stated anything that might indicate otherwise.
Never said that you in particular didn't - but you haven't been the only person to post here regarding what they see to be flaws in the project.
Ah, I see you find my humor amusing.
Quite.
No he isn't. The creative director doesn't make the game.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Creative_director
I know what a Creative Director is - I just earned my Bachelor's Degree in Graphic Design, so I am well aware of the way that creative teams work. And as someone who has worked under a creative director, it is they who are molding and guiding the work to what it becomes. Yes, people like me do the leg work, but in the end, we're working towards their vision.
I understand that he is a prominent member of the team; that doesn't mean that he "made" Smash. That is utterly fallacious and unfathomable. Again, this is merely a career for most people, you can believe they have all of the passion in the world, it doesn't change objective fact.
You're looking at it in far too literal a sense of the word "made." Did he directly create all the assets and animations and such? No. But it was under his guidance and leadership that the game became what it is, so he did make Smash in a very real and substantial way.
I can do as I please; it is within my rights. I wished to express my opinion, if you don't like it, don't address it. It really is that simple. See, I don't pretend that I don't care, I care enough to respond to menial accusations. You don't have to.
Likewise.
I don't. This is actually one of the only cases. I wanted to assert that I believe that Sora Ltd. is worthy of the praise, and Namco. The team working on the game. Accrediting the value of the entire game to the creative director is inherently fallacious; something I don't agree with, so I expressed my opinion. Get over it.
And no one is saying that they are not worthy of the praise. No one is crediting it all to Sakurai. The thing is, we're not just thanking Sakurai for Smash here, even though that's a big part of it. We are showing him our appreciation of all of his work, which is why Kirby and Kid Icarus characters are being included prominently and separately from Smash characters.

Last edited:

The Curious Volnutt

Smash Journeyman
NNID
theOmni1337
Never said that you in particular didn't - but you haven't been the only person to post here regarding what they see to be flaws in the project.

Quite.

I know what a Creative Director is - I just earned my Bachelor's Degree in Graphic Design, so I am well aware of the way that creative teams work. And as someone who has worked under a creative director, it is they who are molding and guiding the work what it becomes.

You're looking at it in far too literal a sense of the word "made." Did he directly create all the assets and animations and such? No. But it was under his guidance and leadership that the game became what it is, so he did make Smash in a very real and substantial way.

Likewise.

And no one is saying that they are not worthy of the praise. No one is crediting it all to Sakurai. The thing is, we're not just thanking Sakurai for Smash here. We are showing him our appreciation of all of his work, which is why Kirby and Kid Icarus characters are being included separate from Smash characters.
......................................................That was post number 666:confused:.........................................................

Morbi

Scavenger

Quite.

I know what a Creative Director is - I just earned my Bachelor's Degree in Graphic Design, so I am well aware of the way that creative teams work. And as someone who has worked under a creative director, it is they who are molding and guiding the work what it becomes. Yes, people like me do the leg work, but in the end, we're working towards their vision.

Likewise.

And no one is saying that they are not worthy of the praise. No one is crediting it all to Sakurai. The thing is, we're not just thanking Sakurai for Smash here, even though that's a big part of it. We are showing him our appreciation of all of his work, which is why Kirby and Kid Icarus characters are being included prominently and separately from Smash characters.
Yes; I understand that, which is why I don't understand where our disagreement was.

AquaNinja

Smash Cadet
How does this work exactly, and what is the difference between signers and non signers? I'm not really sure.

AquaNinja

Smash Cadet
Signers scan their signature in, non-signers just have a list of their names.
Ok, thank you. If he sees this, In would like to be put on the non signers list, I would still like to say thanks to Sakurai for all he's done (wonderful troll for making Kirby, reinventing Kid Icarus and Smash bros).

relaxedexcorcist

Smash Ace
NNID
relaxed
3DS FC
4167-4486-3541
Pit resubmission!

Gotta make good use out of all those new items and upgrades.

Pacack

Super Pac-Fan
NNID
Pacack
3DS FC
0688-5284-6845
@ Glaciacott Glaciacott (hope I spelled that right) - I see your point. Just thought it might be a cool idea, when I used to be in 4-H it won us grand prize for showing gow diverse of a group of people can come together under something. But I do see your point, it was just throwing some ideas out there.

Although I still would do it myself if y'all are up for it. I'd like to contribute more than just my signature but I can't draw to save my life (least not on a computer)

@ Pacack Pacack - I'll keep putting out ideas so long as you're up to hear em.
We'll just do the signatures. Looking at the likes, it seems that it's the popular opinion.

I'd still be more than glad to hear any other ideas that you have, however. Creative suggestions are always encouraged.

Put me down for non-signing supporter, or whatever it's called. He's made 3 great Smash games [and all his Kirby stuff too, I just haven't played any of it besides Air Ride (which was great)] and I look forward to the fourth Smash as well.
Gladly!

How does this work exactly, and what is the difference between signers and non signers? I'm not really sure.
Ok, thank you. If he sees this, In would like to be put on the non signers list, I would still like to say thanks to Sakurai for all he's done (wonderful troll for making Kirby, reinventing Kid Icarus and Smash bros).
Signers scan and post a genuine signature to be added onto the card. Non-signers are still mentioned, but in a generic font instead.

I'll add you to the non-signers unless you tell me otherwise.

Pit resubmission!

Gotta make good use out of all those new items and upgrades.
I love it! In your case, since both are so good, should I keep both?

How long will phrase 2 last anyways?
Good question. It's why I came to this thread right now.

Phase 2 Complete. Please stand by for (minor) thread update.

Now begins Art Phase 2 (Phase 3)

Pacack

Super Pac-Fan
NNID
Pacack
3DS FC
0688-5284-6845
Message voting:

Message 1 (@ Shin F. Shin F. )
Dear Masahiro Sakurai, thank you very much for all the hard work you put into your games! We all enjoy and appreciate them very much. We all support you and wish you the best. We hope that the condition of your arms improves.
Message 2 (@ Pacack Pacack )
Dear Mr. Masahiro Sakurai,

We, the members of smashboards, would like to present to you this token of our appreciation for the effort that you put into your work. In the following pages are a few faces that you should be intimately familiar with. We've tried to do them justice and hope that this card brings you some of the same joy that you have brought to us.

Thank you and get well soon,
Your overseas fans.
Message 3 (Slight tweak of Message 2 by @Networker1 )
Dear Mr. Masahiro Sakurai,

We, the members of smashboards, would like to present to you this token of our appreciation for the effort that you put into your work. Thank you so much and get well soon, we have a great respect for your ability to work under these extreme circumstances. We've tried to do your characters justice and hope that this card brings you some of the same joy that you have brought to us.

Your overseas fans.
Message 4 (@ Glaciacott Glaciacott )
Dear Sakurai-San,

Your work as a developer has been nothing short of admirable. From Kirby to Meteos, Smash Brothers to Kid Icarus, and everything in between, you have shaped our fantasies and given us stories and enjoyment unlike anything else.
We, the members of Smashboards, appreciate all the work you have done and wish to deeply thank you for everything. As a token of our gratitude, we share with you our humble recreations of the many names and characters you gave to us with your work. May they serve as a reminder of the inspiration and joy you bring to us all.

Ganbare!
- Your fans
Message 5 (@ Luigi#1 Luigi#1 )
Dear Mr.Masahiro Sakurai.

Thank you, from all of the overseas Smash fans. For never failing to bring excellent Super Smash Bros. titles into the world. Also, thank the amazing and talented development team, for their skills as well. We also would like to mention the excellent people working on this game at Namco, and Sora Ltd. Every single one of you is talented and hard working, and great at making games. We all hope your arms are doing okay. You have created 2 amazing game series, Kirby and Super Smash Bros, and we feel Nintendo would be different without them. You also made the great game of Kid Icuras: Uprising, and we are grateful for that. You and the developers at Namco and Sora Ltd. are truly skilled with games, and all of your fans congratulate you on that. Please accept this small card of our appreciation, which is little compared to all you have done. Thank you. To every one working hard for our enjoyment and entertainment.

From the overseas fans at Smashboards.

Vote on the message here.

Do not vote for your own message. If you do, I will remove you from the project.

Last edited:
Top Bottom