• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Project M Social Thread Gold

Frost | Odds

Puddings: 1 /// Odds: 0
It requires the control stick be in Neutral, which is just as detrimental or more so than the other aerials (I can probably come closer to getting no loss of momentum with Uair/Dair). If there was some measuring test you'd see how much momentum you'd loss with however many small frames you have to lose not holding forward or backward to get the Nair. I can go extra deep off-stage and such with DK's Nair.
That's a valid rationale, I guess - but Jesus, the difference has to be next to nothing. I can't imagine a situation where that would make a difference.

SpiderMad

Smash Master
It's a big difference, you're not seeing how good character's Nairs are and Mango/top players come close to using them more off-stage but without C-stick Nair those wasted frames are drastic [you're killing vital momentum when it goes to Neutral] the distance difference is big. When I can go off-stage and Nair and make it back a randall length or so more than even someone who risked doing it close to as frame perfect as they can with Control stick, that's pivotal. There's more than just that too, getting Nair frame perfect when dropping through a platform risks Dair (and may not be able to be done frame perfect with control stick, possibly when doing a shield drop where the drop is only 2 frames), you can Nair while you DI etc.

And these aren't just a few frames, if you saw someone in slow motion doing as fast as they could having forward control stick, to neutral and pressing A, then back to forward: it's probably not possible to get it under 4 (and again the risks that involves 1 frame away from triggering the wrong aerial which would be fair in the forward momentum case)

Last edited:

Comeback Kid

Smash Champion
I can't blame the FGC when their only legitimate choices for traditional fighters are Street Fighter or an endless amount of anime fighters.

At least Mortal Kombat X will be giving them a new and exciting option soon.

Last edited:

Soft Serve

softie
Premium
Instant nairs while maintaining momentum are really hard, I'm starting to like c attack more and more. Wolf doesn't need it too much because he has so much air speed but it'll probably make diddy and Pikachu crazy.
@ SpiderMad SpiderMad do you know how c attack interacts with robs boosters? Can't check right now, giving blood lol.

Frost | Odds

It's a big difference, you're not seeing how good character's Nairs are and Mango/top players come close to using them more off-stage but without C-stick Nair those wasted frames are drastic [you're killing vital momentum when it goes to Neutral] the distance difference is big. When I can go off-stage and Nair and make it back a randall length or so more than even someone who risked doing it close to as frame perfect as they can with Control stick, that's pivotal. There's more than just that too, getting Nair frame perfect when dropping through a platform risks Dair (and may not be able to be done frame perfect with control stick, possibly when doing a shield drop where the drop is only 2 frames), you can Nair while you DI etc.

And these aren't just a few frames, if you saw someone in slow motion doing as fast as they could having forward control stick, to neutral and pressing A, then back to forward: it's probably not possible to get it under 4 (and again the risks that involves 1 frame away from triggering the wrong aerial which would be fair in the forward momentum case)
Welp, I have to test this now.

I'm practicing up a Samus to cover Tink's bad matchups - notably the spacies - until Bowser hopefully becomes something like viable in 3.5. Currently using C-stick attack with her as well because dat ftilt 2 gud, and pivoting it is pretty lulzy. I tried Wolf for a while, but he makes my fingers hurt, and I've learned my lesson about pushing that particular envelope.

Any specific tech I should practice other than missile canceling?

Also, will definitely rock the PMDepot tag at Canada Cup. I'll probably drown in pools :D

Last edited:

MechWarriorNY

Smash Master
3DS FC
5387-4245-6828
Is it your constant obligation to make people look bad by taking things out of context?
Fixed, and for the record...

Dammit I cry at this for the U.S FGC majority of the time. :(
That hashtag is legitimately amazing, I've been trembling all over with effort to not fall out of my chair for most of those. Completely serious; my shoulders are still spasming a bit.

Last edited:

PMS | Tink-er

fie on thee
NNID
emptymetaphor
3DS FC
1337-1337-1337
What's wrong with anime fighters? Evos Bb gfs were honestly the most hype thing I've ever watched, whereas usf4 gfs were a boring camp fest.

Strong Badam

Super Elite
Administrator
Premium
BRoomer
USF4 GFs were great. Rose has several tools to mitigate fireball camping and that's why Luffy won.

I loved watching Top 8 at EVO this year because it was the first finals since like 2010 that made me think "This is Street Fighter." Heavy emphasis on footsies instead of a bunch of vortex characters. And I main Cammy, hah.

Soft Serve

softie
Premium
What's wrong with anime fighters? Evos Bb gfs were honestly the most hype thing I've ever watched, whereas usf4 gfs were a boring camp fest.
I got into the main evo hall during BB finals, just before the bracket reset. Even with only like 2/5ths of the seats taken, the energy in the room because of those sets was amazing. KI top 8 wasn't super memorable, but it did have some cool Sadira and thunder moments. I enjoyed watching USF4 top 8 when I got back home because I missed it, had to catch a plane after melee. Marvel is a huge snooze fest for me though.

PMS | Tink-er

fie on thee
NNID
emptymetaphor
3DS FC
1337-1337-1337
I watched a little of KI and figure I didn't like watching the game. The only interesting character was Sadira, and she looked like a generic anime fighter character dropped into a capcom fighter. Everything else was just really short bnb combos, it was so dull to watch.

Last edited:

Gamegenie222

Space Pheasant Dragon Tactician
NNID
Gamegenie222
3DS FC
3411-1825-3363
Yo not gonna lie KI was probably the most boring finals at EVO this year and I love watching KI. Sadira in season 1 was also pretty broken on some stuff she had with her instinct having unbreakable combos and CD JR was mad hungry for that win. Season 2 Sadira got nerfed pretty heavily from what I read up on. On USF4 it was amazing and very hype also Bonchan did some mistakes that he shouldn't have done in that matchup as well. Can't wait for next year USF4 but the lineup for games is gonna be interesting and somewhat predictable if you pay attention to FG current trends and events.

Last edited:

PMS | Tink-er

fie on thee
NNID
emptymetaphor
3DS FC
1337-1337-1337
Blind Guardian <3

Also, how good of an option is DED with Marth? I'm trying to imagine DED>^v into follow DI for a follow-up (I'm using Up smash on Fox).

The DI follow definitely works, but I feel like your opponent can probably DI out of DED on reaction.

Last edited:

Empyrean

Smash Champion
NNID
Arnprior
KI will be sooooo different season 2. Hopefully for the better.

Also people need to start playing on Glacius' stage. That theme is too gud.

GP&B

Ike 'n' Ike
NNID
MetalDude
Yo, any USF4 match in SnakeEyez in it was ****ing awesome. The Zangief tension is too good.

Also, I consider UMvC3 top 8 to be horribly boring except for grand finals where justice (and Justin) prevailed. Wolverine is hype as **** and I'm so glad he brought an end to the projectile nonsense.

SpiderMad

Smash Master
Instant nairs while maintaining momentum are really hard, I'm starting to like c attack more and more. Wolf doesn't need it too much because he has so much air speed but it'll probably make diddy and Pikachu crazy.
@ SpiderMad SpiderMad do you know how c attack interacts with robs boosters? Can't check right now, giving blood lol.
Giving blood or donating plasma? idk I'd guess the same? Are you noticing the neutral reset issues yet?

C-stick Nair is probably at its best with CF Dittos.

Also I did the Wolf video, have people been doing the platform ones I do because I haven't seen people do it? Should I take any part of the video out because I kind of lost direction towards the end.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0gBDctEu8Hg

Last edited:

Soft Serve

softie
Premium
Giving blood or donating plasma? idk I'd guess the same? Are you noticing the neutral reset issues yet?

C-stick Nair is probably at its best with CF Dittos.

Also I did the Wolf video, have people been doing the platform ones I do because I haven't seen people do it? Should I take any part of the video out because I kind of lost direction towards the end.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zeLwbNQ9d7I
Just blood, thought about plasma but they wouldn't let me because they had gotten enough.

I did a lot of the banana blaster stuff because its pretty much diddy stuff but a bit faster. I've honestly never thought to set up platform/stage control with laser>WL off platform>laser WL. I do waveland off the platforms all the time but never tied them togeather so cleanly. Stealing.

SpiderMad

Smash Master
Just blood, thought about plasma but they wouldn't let me because they had gotten enough.

I did a lot of the banana blaster stuff because its pretty much diddy stuff but a bit faster. I've honestly never thought to set up platform/stage control with laser>WL off platform>laser WL. I do waveland off the platforms all the time but never tied them togeather so cleanly. Stealing.
Being a Falco player you need to know your platform work, but Wolves @Rat and ZSSeese @Oro?! haven't optimized blaster platforming (ZSS has blaster platform dash shield drop, which could immediately go into another blaster and then cancel that 2nd blaster with a dash once you hit the ground)

Last edited:

metroid1117

Smash Master
I use C-stick attack with Bowser and Zard, and can't imagine why it uses diagonals either. Are you sure Metroid uses the diagonal rather than hitting back to jab on the ground?

Why would you nair with the C-stick adsflkazbja;tboia;jtb;laksdfgawfg
Yup, like Mad has been saying, I have my C-stick set to Attack so that I can C-stick jabs and NAirs. It's really useful for Ike and Charizard since both characters don't really have spammable FSmashes and it makes it really easy to both drift while NAir'ing (fastfall NAir, retreating NAir, approaching NAir, etc.) and perform dash-canceled jabs (which helps out for combos with Ike and approaches with Charizard).

Comeback Kid

Smash Champion
If I just ignore all the character designs of BlazBlue it is sort of enjoyable but so many other games fill that niche too.

That's what I mean when I say Street Fighter is it's own beast while you can be divided between a ton of anime fighters.

Just have Guilty Gear Xrd played the most for being awesome both artistically and mechanically and I can get behind that.

Last edited:

ZiggaWaTT

Smash Journeyman
Yup, like Mad has been saying, I have my C-stick set to Attack so that I can C-stick jabs and NAirs. It's really useful for Ike and Charizard since both characters don't really have spammable FSmashes and it makes it really easy to both drift while NAir'ing (fastfall NAir, retreating NAir, approaching NAir, etc.) and perform dash-canceled jabs (which helps out for combos with Ike and approaches with Charizard).
never tried stuff like that before but it sounds interesting. ill try that with my ike

ZiggaWaTT

Smash Journeyman
oh my. this c-stick set to attack thing is gonna take some getting used to. might not be for me but ill practice more with it

Last edited:

Soft Serve

softie
Premium
Being a Falco player you need to know your platform work, but Wolves @Rat and ZSSeese @Oro?! haven't optimized blaster platforming (ZSS has blaster platform dash shield drop, which could immediately go into another blaster and then cancel that 2nd blaster with a dash once you hit the ground)
Yeah I'm pretty familar with platform shenanigans and I know I've done that stuff before, but it never really hit me as something super abusable until I looked at you doing it super crisp and everything. I feel like It covers a lot of stage space and pretty much forces platform control if done well.

What you were doing with zelda is something Praxis was describing that a zelda in eastern Washington does to him all the time.

I'm really liking cstick set to attack. Outside nairs with better travel speed and pivot ftilts being a breeze, I also like how if I mess up a run off platform or platform drop>bair I get a jab instead of an f-smash. It does change glide tossing a bit, but it technically opens up more options. Its more important to hit the cardinal directions, but if you AGT with the diagonal you'll get the AGZdrop which is super hype. Losing the c-dashing moonwalk thing is sad though.
AGZ-drop? AG drop? AGZ? AGZ sounds like the coolest tech name.

What do you mean specifically about the neutral reset issues? I normally just flick the c-stick and never hold it, often I just I hit it with the part of my thumb closest to my hand, guess its called the carpol-metacarpel joint.

Last edited:

SpiderMad

Smash Master
You should notice the issue soon enough, probably when you play people. Metroid apparently grew up with it since Brawl so I'm not sure if he noticed it besides never seeming to mention it himself that I can recall, I think there's general things he avoids doing to not set it off of course without knowing it.

Try doing on Yoshi's, the FH Middle platform blaster WL off to Blaster WL and tell me how hard it was when you get it cus I found it pretty hard to get the 2nd blaster's WL in time (I'm guessing I either FFell a lot or didn't start the blaster in time).

Last edited:

Comeback Kid

Smash Champion
SpiderMad, you have do some tutorials after 3.5 because who knows how many of these tricks will be possible with the new landing detection.

GP&B

Ike 'n' Ike
NNID
MetalDude
C-Stick reset is an issue with how Brawl reads C-Stick. Unlike Melee where it accepts inputs from C-Stick before it returns to neutral, Brawl will not do such. It's rather frustrating until you get used to it.

Gamegenie222

NNID
Gamegenie222
3DS FC
3411-1825-3363
So smash 4 character discussion forums are interesting to say the least. If you play Lucina and wanna visit talk about the game then don't be at the Lucina boards ATM lol. Fan shipping, FE:Awakening circle jerk and waifu discussion like a mofo which I wouldn't mind in small doses. :(

Just go to the Marth boards instead.

Last edited:

Frost | Odds

That's bizarre. Your charizard videos were the reason I switched to C-attack in the first place because of the easy ftilt/jab out of dash/pivot, but it never occurred to me that the pickiness of the angles was anything but a bug.

I don't suppose there's any chance of getting a modified version of C-attack in the future that only has 4 angles, and actually tilts when hit up or down? :<

Empyrean

Smash Champion
NNID
Arnprior
So smash 4 character discussion forums are interesting to say the least. If you play Lucina and wanna visit talk about the game then don't be at the Lucina boards ATM lol. Fan shipping, FE:Awakening circle jerk and waifu discussion like a mofo which I wouldn't mind in small doses. :(
Lmaooo, at this point I just visit the Samus/ZSS subforums, and rarely the Falco one.
I love how everyone is kidding themselves in the Falco subforum.

SpiderMad

Smash Master
C-Stick reset is an issue with how Brawl reads C-Stick. Unlike Melee where it accepts inputs from C-Stick before it returns to neutral, Brawl will not do such. It's rather frustrating until you get used to it.
PM's C-stick feels fine though it has that issue from Brawl (so if you roll your C-stick around it'll only do one smash and nothing, while in Melee it would keep doing Smash attacks as you roll in those direction; never messes me up much at all). But this is a different/worse issue, that when you set C-stick to Attack it was never designed for attack and requires to go to Neutral some point in time apparently AFTER the aerial/move is over (rather than sometime during it like the regular C-stick Brawl issue). I don't know the full details but I can make a short video eventually.
SpiderMad, you have do some tutorials after 3.5 because who knows how many of these tricks will be possible with the new landing detection.
New? Right now there's some couple or more mechanics going on giving us extra air time in certain circumstances, if they make it like Melee you'll be losing air time: and only be losing dozens upon dozens of Early/Double aerials both from the PM cast and new things for the Melee cast that weren't possible in Melee. SH Bair AC with Fox, SH Uair AC with Falco, SH Bair Dair with Marth, SH Bair Nair with Jiggs, SH Double Fair with Sheik, etc. Not even mentioning Special moves as well in tandem with Aerials (like Marth's SH Bair Side-b isn't possible in Melee either when it is in PM).
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BixZR3-YiMw
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IeLklmmYyNk

Last edited:

GP&B

Ike 'n' Ike
NNID
MetalDude
PM's C-stick feels fine though it has that issue from Brawl (so if you roll your C-stick around it'll only do one smash and nothing, while in Melee it would keep doing Smash attacks as you roll in those direction; never messes me up much at all). But this is a different/worse issue, that when you set C-stick to Attack it was never designed for attack and requires to go to Neutral some point in time apparently AFTER the aerial/move is over (rather than sometime during it like the regular C-stick Brawl issue). I don't know the full details but I can make a short video eventually.
Eww, that sounds even worse. Despite all that though, as an Ike main it really sounds like I should invest some time in this.

Gamegenie222

NNID
Gamegenie222
3DS FC
3411-1825-3363
Lmaooo, at this point I just visit the Samus/ZSS subforums, and rarely the Falco one.
I love how everyone is kidding themselves in the Falco subforum.
Brah I'm in the Falco subforum as well. Let me play my bird in peace with some avian martial arts and jab dudes till they piss blood the morning after.

EDIT: Robin subforum is the nuts though. We got frame data, setups and strategies up the wazoo. We get work done.

Last edited:
Top Bottom