• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

She my PSI Queen: Paula Polestar for DLC

BubblegumRebel

Smash Rookie

(doo doo quality smash render made by me using bits and pieces of other fighters)

Vote for Paula here!

Okay, as seems to be the standard protocol for character support threads, I'm gonna assume that everyone who enters this thread has the exact same question on their minds:

Well, to make it short:

Paula is one of the 4 protagonists featured in the 1995 Nintendo cult classic JRPG Earthbound. The first character to join Ness in his journey, she possesses psychic powers such as PSI Fire, PSI Freeze, and PSI Thunder that she uses to help defeat the various enemies found in the game. Also, she carries a frying pan around just in case her PP is too low to use her powers.

To make it long:

Paula lives in Twoson, the 2nd town (HA HA, TWO? GET IT?) visited in Earthbound . After being kidnapped to be worshiped as an icon of Happy Happyism, she uses her telepathy to contact Ness and asks for him to rescue her. When you free her, she gives you the Franklin Badge, and joins your team. Throughout the game, she proves to be an important character in the plot, being the one to call upon both Jeff and Poo, and also leads the player to find out about the Evil Mani Mani statue, an essential item to the plot. In the final battle against Giygas, she is key to defeating him, with the player having to use her unique "Pray" ability 9 times to destroy him and restore peace to the world.

"Why should she become DLC and why should I care?"
1. Earthbound is one of Nintendo's most unique series, mixing lighthearted colorful visuals, cleverly dumb humor, and sometimes bleak cynicism into what's become one of the most coveted games of it's genre, despite it's initial lukewarm reception. While it doesn't have the sales or public recognition that would usually justify more than 1-2 Smash reps, I believe it's spot as one of Nintendo's most admired hidden gems makes it worthy of at least one more character.

2. The series seems to finally be getting acknowledgement from Nintendo, with Earthbound being released to the Wii U Virtual Console in 2013, them poking fun at the fans who beg for a Mother 3 localization during a skit at E3 2014, Earthbound: Beginnings being released to the Wii U Virtual Console last week, and Lucas recently being released as Smash DLC. In the case that Mother 3 does get localized and released soon (next year is the 10th anniversary of it's release in Japan), Nintendo might consider releasing another character from the series as a DLC fighter, depending on how many fighters we get overall. While the Masked Man (a character important to the plot of Mother 3) could have a better chance of getting released, he's more story/spoiler-sensitive imo. Ninten would essentially be a Ness clone, and would probably serve well as an alt costume for him. Jeff is already an assist trophy, and while Poo has potential to be a mixed fighter, as both a sword fighter and a user of magic, he's not relevant enough (at least compared to the other choices). Porky is the last potential Mother series fighter, and while he does have a ton of potential, I could see it being awkward to implement him as a fighter, as his spider mech bed is essential to his powers, but very awkward to have in a fighting game such as Smash. idk.

3. She'd be a very unique fighter on Smash 4's roster. She'd be a feminine female child, 3 things that are all somewhat underrepresented in Smash (not that the game needs to become a huge pink flowery estrogen fest for it to be fair, but it's nice to have options, y'know).

4. Despite being another PSI user, she could have a unique moveset due to Ness stealing all of her powers ddd;. She could use PSI Lifeup, PSI Shield, a unique version of PSI Fire (like a flamethrower perhaps) or PSI Thunder (does less damage but temporarily stuns enemies), and have Pray as her final smash, with her opening a large circular zone (similar to Luigi's final smash in Brawl), and a random effect happening (enemies fall asleep and Paula's % goes down to 0, the fighters explode and get launched off stage, etc.)

To be added!

Last edited:

Yomi's Biggest Fan

See You Next Year, Baby
NNID
Takamaru64
3DS FC
1375-7346-9605
Switch FC
SW-8277-6509-2593
I support, loved Earthbound in the past and enjoyed her moveset poll in the game (even when Ness borrowed a few of her moves).

Laniv

Smash Champion
I support, she was my backup incase Lucas didn't come back.

The Novice Sword

Smash Apprentice
I'm on board. I'd like to see some more unique applications of PSI powers and a wider variety too.

slambros

Smash Ace
I don't think 3 Mother characters would be good.
Of course, a whole bunch of fanboys would be Salty if a series has 'too many reps'. As for me, I'm all for unique characters, most of the time regardless of series.

Magikarpow

Smash Journeyman
Of course, a whole bunch of fanboys would be Salty if a series has 'too many reps'. As for me, I'm all for unique characters, most of the time regardless of series.
I don't really see her being that unique, and if we are talking on a scale of what the newcomer would bring to the roster, Isaac, Inkling and even King K. Rool would be more unique.

slambros

Smash Ace
I don't really see her being that unique, and if we are talking on a scale of what the newcomer would bring to the roster, Isaac, Inkling and even King K. Rool would be more unique.
I get that unique characters should be given priority over not-unique characters, but I don't think those potentially unique newcomers should be held back by representation issues. If Paula was made with new moves labelling her a semi-clone, then most people who like fun characters would be all over the character.

Magikarpow

Smash Journeyman
I get that unique characters should be given priority over not-unique characters, but I don't think those potentially unique newcomers should be held back by representation issues. If Paula was made with new moves labelling her a semi-clone, then most people who like fun characters would be all over the character.
We already have a clone of Ness. Why do we need another. In addition, Earthbound is already represented by Ness. Mother 3 is represented by Lucas, so reasonable if we got another character it would be from Earthbound Beginnings.

In addition she has to face competition with Poo, a character who would make more sense to add because he is a more physical based character with magic properties would be more unique.

Last edited:

slambros

Smash Ace
I'm just saying that I would take any Earthbound character whatsoever. I'm fine with supporting Paula. If it's Poo, fine. If it's a Mother 1 character like Nintendo, fine. More Earthbound equals more awesome, in my opinion.

Paula might be a semi- clone, or even surprisingly original, and I'd buy the character anyway.

Magikarpow

Smash Journeyman
I'm just saying that I would take any Earthbound character whatsoever. I'm fine with supporting Paula. If it's Poo, fine. If it's a Mother 1 character like Nintendo, fine. More Earthbound equals more awesome, in my opinion.

Paula might be a semi- clone, or even surprisingly original, and I'd buy the character anyway.
I suppose so. However, I don't think we will be seeing more Mother characters for a while, considering Lucas was just released.

slambros

Smash Ace
I agree. I wouldn't realistically count on a Mother newcomer until Smash 5.

I'd still happily buy one.

BubblegumRebel

Smash Rookie
Found a cool moveset on tumblr, drawn by user hamishmash!

"B) TeddyBear (similar to Peach's Toad), BUP) PK Thunder... but more like a combo of Pikachu's down B and up B, BSIDE) PK Fire - Paula's fire travels through multiple foes, BDOWN) Pray - similar to WFT."

"FinalSmash) Finale Prayer - get out of the way of the hope people are sending Paula, ASIDE and ADOWN normal, AUP) PK FREEZE, freezes foes in the air"

Plus, they had an idea for a new stage - Dungeon Man!

"Stage - DUNGEON MAN, Dungeon Man walks across locations from Earthbound with a few other platforms floating in every now and then."

The stage is p unlikely, considering most of those elements are already used in Magicant, but it's good to see more people are here for Paula being in Smash!​

Top Bottom