• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Practicing with Lucas

Tyr_03

Smash Champion
Because I'm still in high school and often am unable to find time or transportation to get places to play against competitive players or play in tournaments, I've found myself looking for ways to improve without other people to play against or against people who are at lower skill levels than I am. This thread will talk about a few things that I do to help myself get better even when I don't have the opportunities for competition that I want and hopefully lead to discussion on other methods. Let me first say though that the best way to get better for tournaments is to go to tournaments. There is no substitute for this. My greatest progress has come from participating in tournaments.

Learning to use all of your arsenal
It's really easy to get caught in a pattern with Lucas and use the same strategies and specific moves too much. A way that I've found to expand your use of all of Lucas's moves is to practice doing matches in which you predominantly use just one or two moves. This is something you can do in friendlies as well as against computers.

For example, try playing a match using nothing but dash attacks. This will force you to learn the spacing as well as some tricks to get this difficult to use move to actually hit. Another one of my favorites is doing a match using nothing but PK Fire (or atleast until they're at a good kill percentage if you're impatient.) Excersises like these can be expanded to doing entire matches using only ground moves, only smash attacks, only aerials, only projectiles etc. and are great in friendlies against less experienced or equal experience players. Again, this is something you can practice on CPU's as well if you don't have good humans to play against available.

Juggle Traps
Computers are great for learning how to juggle trap. The AI is actually decent enough that they will do different things to avoid being juggled and you can work on your prediction and aerial spacing to punish. Granted you're still missing out on some tricks humans will use such as B reversing nades and C4 with Snake, but you can still get a ton of practice out on this and juggle trapping is one of the most effective tools in Brawl. I really encourage you to try this one out if you haven't. It's great practice.

Recovering
Just spend some time recovering to different stages especially with PKT2. Test the distances you can make it back from. Learn where blastzones will ruin your recovery etc. Way too many people get gimped when using PKT2 and it shouldn't happen. Spend some time learning your trajectories. It may be kind of boring but it'll help you a ton. A good Lucas player will rarely or never get gimped. His recovery is very underrated. This is another thing you can easily do on your own.

Learning matchups by learning other characters
Learning new characters is fun. Look on their boards and learn some of the things they do. Watch videos of them to see some of their common strategies. Sometimes it's really fun to just pick up a new character and learn them for fun even if you don't plan on using them in tournaments. Playing with a bunch of scrubby players? Main random. You might learn a thing or two you didn't know before and get some basic matchup knowledge on a character you've otherwise not encountered so that when you do you atleast have a cursory knowledge of what they can do.

Watch videos of other Lucas players
Playstyles for Lucas are surprisingly diverse. Watch some other Lucas players. You might learn some mixups you can add to the way you play. I'd suggest watching the more frequent posters here more as well as members of the OBR rather than just random Lucas's. Look up Okin, Noraa, APC, Oats, Tyr, Galeon, and Seanson. I'm sure I forgot a few with videos out right now, those are just the ones that I thought of at the moment.

Just felt like contributing something again. Peace.

-Tyr

The.End

Smash Cadet
Great Advice. I usually play random to learn to play other characters, it makes it a bit easier to play against other players that way... Even if i don't know how to use them, i'll still try on random.
Watching Videos is my way of getting better, it's how i learnt to play some of my characters in fact... I hadn't touched them but i watched a few gameplay matches and i could play almost just as well when i had finally picked up a controller and played an opponent (usually my friends).
I find that playing computers actually makes you worst. Reason? Well you can't really mind game computers, since they are given a set of specific 'rules' to follow in certain conditions. Basically they have reflexes... And i just find playing them ruins my playstyle. At least that's the way for me.
Playing a Human, you can actually use mindgames, because they will use prediction and such to find a way to punish. o.o

Irsic

Smash Ace
Although full hop pk fire magnet reversing seems impractical, it really is quite the mindgame for your opponent. I suggest that every Lucas player out there learns how to do this consistently, then in friends be sure to throw it around, and learn when it is practical, and when it is impractical.

I've found that one of the most practical situations for actually hitting with the magnet is when the other player just reaches the ledge, full hop pk fire off the stage, and magnet pull right to where they would be standing right as they get back on. It's a bit tricky, but it's one of the few situations I've had where I actually hit with the magnet.

Otherwise, it's just a fantastic spacing tool.

Tyr_03

Smash Champion
Oh yeah another thing I remember. Go into a match and try to perfect shield everything your opponent does. You can do this on computer pretty easily because they're usually pretty predictable with their moves so it just helps you work on your timing. Especially for projectiles you might be unfamiliar if you don't play that character often. It's much tougher on actual opponents but you should always be trying to perfect shield anyway.

prOAPC

Smash Lord
playing with other characters improves you Lucas game. For example, if you play Marth, you are improving your spacing, or using Samus, makes you better with projectiles.
These days i've been practicing wave zap as a recovery. What i do, is everytime the cpu hits me, i use wave zap no matter what, if i miss the wave zap, i don't use pkt2 and lose the stock.
I did the same with jab cancel, now i know when and how to use it
Listen to Tyr, he knows what's he talking about

lil cj

Smash Lord
Im posting this in multiple threads so people will see this....its very important

we all need to vote...
who should be in the Lucas Hall of Fame?
And what videos should be in there??
Look through the many Lucas player vids and vote!

My top 6 for Hall of Fame:

NinjaLink
APC
Okin
Galeon
Seanson
Levitas

and for the MVP its a tie between Irsic and Oats
I cant decide lol
Vote everyone:)
and head over to the Video Compendium

Top Bottom