• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Practicing telecancelling & other related tech

Mentor

Smash Cadet
So I can't find any evidence anyone does this, so I thought I'd share how I learned to telecancel from ground to platform or just telecancelling in general.

Step 1: Choose Zelda
Step 2: Go to battlefield
Step 3: Position zelda and on the ground vertically underneath the lower platform
Step 4: Go to http://www.webmetronome.com/ (or get your own metronome)
Step 5: Set it to 130
Step 6: Alternate hitting Up-b and b to the beat

You may have to adjust the beat +-2 beats per minuite depending on if you're naturally late/early.

List of songs you can practice to:
We Disappear by Jon Hopkins
Fortunate Son by CCR
If I could fly by Joe Satriani
Misty Mountain Hop by you already know who

If you're interested in more ways to practice telecancelling w/ a metronome, just ask & I'll include more stuff. My metronome method won't make you frame perfect, but it can make you damn close & gives a great "feel" for how long a move lasts.

If anyone has either own unique way of practicing zelda tech, please share. I'm really curious to know exactly how people get good.

WhiteCrow

Smash Journeyman
If anyone has either own unique way of practicing zelda tech, please share. I'm really curious to know exactly how people get good.
This is a pretty fascinating way to practice telecancels, I'll have to give it a try. I usually go to a stage with a level 9 CPU that would choose that stage as a counter pick and I wear away the eight minute timer by teleporting away from the CPU. I practice edge cancelled Farore's Wind more than I practice telecancelling between platforms though it should probably be the other way around. I used to used a smoke bomb to track my movement but now I just practice the different heights and timings for edge cancelling a teleport on all stages that could appear in bracket. I grind this out a lot http://gfycat.com/WatchfulShimmeringEastrussiancoursinghounds Which is edge cancelled Farore's Wind>Farore's Wind reverse ledge grab>ledge dash>repeat.

Mentor

Smash Cadet
@Crow I appreciate your appreciation of my idea! I never thought to use items as a way to tracking movement. I'd also argue that edge cancelling FW from any position is far more potent of a tool than cancelling between platforms & ground. Then again, we're opposites in what we practice. I'll definitely be practicing something inspired by your gfycat link for the future, so thanks for that. I also had the idea of avoiding opponents w/ FW for 8 mins, but have never actually tired it, probably will now.

Personally, I think the hardest part about FW wind in general is getting your head wrapped around how fast she moves while invisible and how she moves while invisible. I'm aware of both, but simply not seeing her creates a mental barrier for me. Regardless, you get a intuitive feel for it eventually. Only took me about 50 hours, so yeah, no biggie.

I've also been trying to develop a training exercise to help in randomizing direction & duration of FW. The objective is to never perform the same direction and/or duration thrice in a row, & then slowly limit your direction & duration options (or possibly start with few options and expand over time). I haven't gotten more specific than that, but I might post something if I come up with a good system.

@ ECHOnce ECHOnce Drummers represent. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9esWG6A6g-k

ECHOnce

Smash Lord
Personally, I think the hardest part about FW wind in general is getting your head wrapped around how fast she moves while invisible and how she moves while invisible. I'm aware of both, but simply not seeing her creates a mental barrier for me. Regardless, you get a intuitive feel for it eventually. Only took me about 50 hours, so yeah, no biggie.

@ ECHOnce ECHOnce Drummers represent. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9esWG6A6g-k
I've been super lazy about getting around to it, but I've been meaning start a thread on frame data and other info for certain tech. So far, that includes %s that certain jab resets work, and the speed and distances traveled during variations and segments of the full teleport and tele-cancels. Hopefully it'll make it easier to guestimate the timings so players like myself who suck at it otherwise don't have to go at it forever until the "feel" for it comes naturally. Quick snippet from the thread to-be: Zelda is invisible for 19 frames. The first frame there is no movement. 2-19 she travels at juuust over 4 units/frame. She'll continue moving 4 units/frame for one more frame, during the start of either her hitbox reappearance or tele-cancelled animations. The hitbox reappearance reanimation moves her another 4ish units forward (over...20-30ish frames?), and the forced walk from tele-cancel moves her...I think it was 18.5 units over 12 frames.

So TL;DR of that is...she travels at ~4 units/frame over 20 frames (roughly lines up with her invisibility). Total distance is 77.5u upon reappearance, whether it's the default or canceled (which add on a tad more, see above). Since there are 60 frames/sec in PM, as a helpful visual/timing cue, you could say she travels...2/3s of battlefield's width or so in 1/3 second. Which really doesn't help much from just reading it lol, but if you're getting down and dirty with practicing the timing/distances, you'll be able to gauge a feel for it much more quickly if you have a scale to go by.

EDIT: ALSOO drummers unite :D I played the kit for a few years and dabbled with marching band. Never got used to traditional grip though, so I got stuck on cymbals like a scrub lmao.

Last edited:

Mentor

Smash Cadet
While studying her invisible velocity is helpful to know, my preferred style of practice and study relies more on feels than frames. If I find anything useful I can contribute to a post like that, I most certainly will. Reliable jab resets would be most helpful, as I usually get those through dumb luck.

Wear that cymbal badge with honor. The cymbal squad from my HS years was nothing but bad-ass mother ****ers. Every member wore the same shades, were incredibly fit (their "warm up" was running 2 miles before each practice session), and had marching and playing precision superior to every other group in our drumline. And we were all pretty damn good I might add.

Top Bottom