1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 150,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 15 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

3. Trying to find the perfect gift? Use the Smashboards Store to get awesome Smash accessories, like a Nintendo Controller! Please check out the inventory in our store and support Smashboards with your purchase today!

4. Guest, we are currently running a contest to determine the best guide on Smashboards! $200 is up for grabs! Go here for details and to submit your candidate! Guide Contest Info!

Post Your Videos Here To Get Them Critiqued

Discussion in 'Samus' started by Corigames, Dec 26, 2007.

1. 343

343 Smash Apprentice

I wrote something a while back, but Smashboards went all flaky and I lost it... anyway, the "most basic" advice I'd give you is: (1) USE YOUR SHIELD, especially vs spacies; you can up-b them if they misspace / mistime their shield pressure!, (2) wavedash back, (3) practice your grapple recovery. (4) stop throwing out random moves when he's nowhere nearby, (5) learn better DI (DI away from him on combo moves, but into the top corners if he's going for kill moves.)
  2. MintyFlesh

MintyFlesh Smash Ace

Copy /pasta fro, gen, didnt see this thread

It's a longish set, but if someone could watch and point out some stuff I'd appreciate it. I feel like I played well, just got better playered and made a dumb CP game 3, and fell apart.

marths harrd

http://www.twitch.tv/sigmelee/b/584298255 starts around 3:21:00
  3. 343

343 Smash Apprentice

4. Mervis

Mervis Smash Cadet

So I finally got a match on stream! I'm ready to get torn a new butthole by my fellow Samus mains!

http://www.twitch.tv/tourneylocator/b/592467131 (Match starts about 23:00 exact)

To be fair, Infinity won the tournament so I didn't really expect to win. I kind of did some flashy stuff rather than actually play the game (I was basking in the limelight ok?). One thing is for sure, I should stop trying to missile camp. Anyways, let me have it!
    Last edited: Nov 25, 2014
  5. frangow

frangow Smash Rookie

Hello! This is my first post in smashboards in years.
    First of all, I hope my english is legible lol, sorry if I did some english mistake.

I'm trying to train for the APEX tornaument, after Aisengobay attending last year, his hype flowed to us and, just in melee, 5 players from brazil will be attending, myself included.
    I stayed retired a long time, just playing occasionally for fun, but now I'm trying to play good again, and I would appreciate a lot some help.
    Can u guys give me some tips?
    Last weekend I played a championship and I got 3, but I got destroyed by Aisengobay, the best player from brasil, and also by CaioNintendo sheik on the losers final(after beating his fox in winners and on first games of losers final).
    Here s the stream of the tornaument.

http://www.twitch.tv/x_revolution/b/591951059
    vs Aisengobay starting at 6:43:43
    vs CaioNintendo starting at 7:13:21

Thank you guys in advance
  6. frangow

frangow Smash Rookie

Hey bro, I saw ur 2 games vs peach.

First, I think the best DI for peach down throw is behind her.
    Second, I think u spammed too many missiles, spamming is not a bad thing, but u gotta shot missiles to put her in disadvantage and create momentum, but u were just spamming missiles for free, and she was picking the trades she wanted, instead of you forcing her in a bad situation with missiles and picking good trades.
    Also, try to use more tilts, specially the Ftilt on this match up. Some times you can do a missile cancel and run in peach direction, if she stay on ground, you pressure her shield with ftilt, if she jump, depending on the situation you can try to Nair her or apply a mind game with nair, uair, missile, or just try to predict her approaches.
    Peach without a down b on hands dont have very good approach in the air.
    Also, try to missile in peach float height, if u missile that way, the missile eats the down b and hit her.(mostly on poke stadium cause u can cancel the missile on the platforms)

I think that s it, hope it helps =)
  7. 343

343 Smash Apprentice

@frangow, I watched you vs Aisengobay. You had some really nice edgeguards, and a lot of good grabs. I'm not sure if you got a net benefit out of the grabs though; I think the ones trying to grab his getup from the ground (where he tended to just roll away) were particularly ineffective.

Vs Fox, I think you did too many nairs / dash attacks in neutral. I don't think nair is that good vs a grounded fox, and he shielded a bunch of your dash attacks. Use lower-commitment moves (ftilt, jab?) more. You also dash attacked him when you were at 74% and he was crouching at 19%... you're lucky he didn't just upsmash you for free. Also, your missile cancelling isn't that good; I saw fulljump missiles on BF/YS, and a fair number of homing missiles that got canceled before they came out. See http://smashboards.com/threads/official-samus-missile-guide.105908/.

I really liked that dthrow dsmash you did, but he only got hit because he didn't DI / tech; he DI'd away the second time and you missed :( Upthrow has guaranteed followups (unless platforms mess you up) at most reasonable %s.

I feel like he got you a bunch of times when you came off the ledge. Mix up your ledge options; you did ledgehop fair and ledgehop missile nearly every time (along with some ledgejumps... bleh, but they worked I guess.). He also got you with upairs / nairs a bunch when you tried to fall back down onto or dashdance on side platforms; if he's below you and you're pretty high up, you should probably prefer to go for the ledge. Shielddropping from platforms would've also helped in a few situations.

Not sure how I feel about your fulljumps oos against his pressure; I don't think that's very good? I guess some of them may have been tech mistakes, but you definitely do some fulljump nairs oos. I guess it worked a few times since he didn't punish the jump. He did start shielding your upb oos, which you semi-adapted to, but he definitely got a bunch of punishes on your upbs in later games.

The fsmash through the platform on FoD was hilarious.

I can't believe how many times he let you just charge while he ran around XD

Vs his Sheik, I don't really agree with dthrow ftilt; I'd prefer dthrow dash attack (for DI away) or fsmash (for no DI / DI in). More jabs / ftilts instead of utilts might also be good? Try jab cancelling to pressure shields, which is explained, for example, in http://smashboards.com/threads/the-ultimate-samus-guide.185822/. Most of the damage you took was either from getting grabbed, or from doing a poor recovery (missed sweetspot on upb, too many doublejump fairs onto the stage).

There's also a number of opportunities where you could've gotten the ledge before Sheik could recover, but you chose to wait on the stage. I'm a proponent of "always grab ledge vs offstage Sheik" because her upb sucks.

I assume all the rolls are missed inputs, haha.
    frangow likes this.
  8. frangow

frangow Smash Rookie

Thank you very much for your feedback 343!

I really have some trouble with some basic tech skills like missile cancel and sweetspot(and a few more) cause I didnt play competitive for a long time, I need to fix that!

The Dthrow Dsmash is a mindgame, because Dthrow is a really fast throw, and I always do upthrow, sometimes a random Dthrow can catch a bad DI on fast fallers.

And also I did terrible edgeguards vs sheik T.T

Thanks a lot for the tips!
  9. 343

343 Smash Apprentice

update: I guess @zDuck likes dthrow ftilt vs Sheik, and clearly he understands the matchup like 1000x better than I do... so maybe it's preferred when Sheik is at low % and can retaliate against a dash attack, or when dash attack would give up stage position.
  10. ManoxMano

ManoxMano Smash Journeyman

^wasnt he doing dthrow>ftilt at like 100+ percent?
  11. Kerfuffle

Kerfuffle Smash Rookie

12. abcool

abcool Smash Ace

First off, both links are the same.

Tips :
    >> Stop up-throwing characters that aren't Fox, Falco and Captain Falcon. Anyone outside those characters should be downthrown to either ftilt, Dashattack or Fsmash.

>> Each time you got hit by the Marth you kept mashing the jump button; stop doing that. Most Marth's want you in the air because Samus has a hard time coming down and throwing away your second jump just makes their job easier.

>>When you know Marth is going to land on a platform on either BF, YS or PS you can use an utilt from under the platform, but stop jumping up and nairing especially after you see he lands on it because he will just shield the entire time and go for easy grabs cause Samus nair last soo long.

>>Ways to effectively fight a Marth is to not jump so much unless you are following up a combo. Learn to shield dash to escape fair pressure. If the Marth likes to shield. then grab more and if the Marth likes to attack; use Dash attack to punish him landing from his aerials. Either way, the matchup is all about patience and reads. You need discipline to effectively play the matchup because its easy to fall into traps the Marth will setup for you.
    Last edited: Dec 26, 2014 at 2:49 PM
    JerkPhil likes this.
  13. Kerfuffle

Kerfuffle Smash Rookie

@abcool thanks so much for the advice. My Samus is pretty jank right now, but every once in a while I'll play her how she's supposed to be played. I've just gotta do that all the time lol. You're definitely right, coming down is definitely a weak point of both mine and Samus', do you have any specific tips for that?
  14. abcool

abcool Smash Ace

If you get hit really high in the air bomb in place so you are kind of dropping bombs under you, but at the same time giving yourself some mobility to move if they try to approach you from a different angle. It's like you are raining bombs to move Marth or whoever out of position from poking you directly from underneath, then waveland off of the nearest platform back into a neutral position.

The biggest advice is knowing your opponent an when they feel comfortable hitting Samus the most. Cause to be honest - fighting a Samus is super frustrating on their part to and your job is to increase that frustration.

When I came to these boards a long time ago people helped me so I have no problems helping my fellow Samus players. :)