• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Possible solution to airdodge/grapple recovery

DarkSpidey13

Smash Ace
in Melee, a common recovery technique was to minimize recovery distance by airdodging towards the stage and then firing your grapple beam. in Brawl, directional airdodging is out, and the falling momentum would carry your airdodge in the wrong direction.

BUT...

what about just dropping a bomb, then using your new upwards momentum to go into an airdodge, and then into your grapple? in theory, that sounds like it should solve the problem, and be an awesome recovery technique.

anyone plan on testing this out?

Proven

Smash Apprentice
It's pointless. Part of the reason we did that in Melee was because the air-dodge would move you forward by itself. With momentum airdodge, you're NOT GOING ANY FARTHER THAN USUAL, so you might as well just do the bomb jump for extra distance and grapple recover. There's no point at all to using the air dodge unless you need to actually dodge something.

4 Aces

Smash Ace
How exactly does the airdodge work in Brawl? I also read on Smashbros.com that the grapple homes in to the closest ledge.

Tonyman

Smash Journeyman
4 aces, for what i've heard from people, the airdodge works like if....i cant explain veyr good, but imagine youre a C.Falcon in melee, you run full speed, shorthop, the airdodge, you'd airdodge a pretty long distance nd be able to jump afterwards, now if you were a Ganondorf, doing the exact same thing you'd airdodge a shorter distance, so maybe the jump of the bomb with samus wont even be too much like to airdodge very efficiently, i agree with Proven, it might be pointless, but remember it was just a demo anything can change, even a bit can make a huge difference.

DarkSpidey13

Smash Ace
4 aces, for what i've heard from people, the airdodge works like if....i cant explain veyr good, but imagine youre a C.Falcon in melee, you run full speed, shorthop, the airdodge, you'd airdodge a pretty long distance nd be able to jump afterwards, now if you were a Ganondorf, doing the exact same thing you'd airdodge a shorter distance, so maybe the jump of the bomb with samus wont even be too much like to airdodge very efficiently, i agree with Proven, it might be pointless, but remember it was just a demo anything can change, even a bit can make a huge difference.
it may be pointless, yes. but we haven't had a chance to try it out, and we don't know 100% how Brawl's physics work yet. however, i think that you would go a little extra distance with the dodge. someone said that if you airdodge at the peak of a regular jump, you will still go higher. if that's the case, then this might not be pointless at all. and depending on the lag, a bomb/dodge/bomb/dodge/etc combo may be possible.

but these are just ideas....

Gypsy Lee

Smash Champion
No, this wouldn't work. Bomb jumping only slows down your decent, it doesn't send you in a specific direction or give you more momentum like an air dodge does. It looks to me like the airdodge was changed to get rid of wavedashing, which in turn affected Samus' recovery, so they increased the distance of her screw attack, and may even have tweaked the bomb jump in order to make up for this loss. Not like she needs it anyway, her recovery was broken as hell to begin with.

All in all, I don't see this as too big of a blow to Samus mains. People only really used the air dodge to line themselves up for a sweet spotted grapple anyway.

JOLT143

Smash Apprentice
If there is no choice in the way you airdodge does that mean there is no more wavedashing????
Looks like Aniki will destoy everyone in the new game.

BDAOutlaw

Smash Apprentice
Bomb jump Air dodge sounds perfect and maybe the air dodge can stop samus from pulling her grapple down with her while she falls(dunno if anyone else noticed it happening in melee a few times) not sure about the new bomb jump though.

and I like the falcon full speed air dodge jump knee idea even though i added a few more to that :p..........sounds like more awesomeness for falcon though.

Top Bottom