• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Poll for Melee veterans: Will you play Smash 4 competitively?

Are you willing to play Smash 4 competitively?

• Yes, but only on 3DS and I will stop playing Melee competitively

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Kadano

Magical Express
I think it would be nice to have numbers for the different attitudes from Melee players towards Smash 4. Please only participate if your main game is (or was, before S43DS was released) Melee.

It would be great if many Melee players participate so @MrWizard and others know what they can expect from our community (which they were really happy with at Evo, from what I’ve heard) and whether “we” will be an active part of the Smash 4 scene.

I hope that the responses cover all of our feelings, but if you think there’s a different category we need, please tell me which it is and I will add it in if possible (if not, I hope a moderator will do this).

Bones0

Smash Legend
I don't think you need to differentiate between playing on the 3DS and the Wii U. I'm pretty sure serious competitions will be almost exclusively on the Wii U, and it's not like the game is vastly different. Just have:

- Yes. I'm quitting Melee to play Smash 4.
- Yes. I'm playing Smash 4 in addition to Melee.
- Maybe. If I like it, I will quit Melee.
- Maybe. If I like it, I will play Smash 4 in addition to Melee.
- No.

The Soap

Smash Apprentice
I'm most likely gonna play the Wii U version in a few tournaments while the new game hype lasts, but Melee's always gonna be my main game.

MookieRah

Kinda Sorta OK at Smash
I might have misunderstood my answer to this. I posted "I will try to play both versions, but will likely drop them for melee." but I realised after my vote that makes it seem like at some point I would drop melee for Sm4sh, which definitely isn't the case. I thought I was saying more along the lines of, "I'll try them out, but I doubt I would ever switch from melee."

Considering that, plus the other options, I'm thinking that just sticking to melee would be the best answer for me, as I don't even own a 3DS or a Wii U and have no plans in the near future to even purchase those systems.

Kadano

Magical Express
@ MookieRah MookieRah I think your vote is fine. I meant it like you initially understood it. The only difference to the last option is that you do give it a chance.

JoeTango

It Takes Two
I answered the poll, but I think more accurately I'm going to play Smash 3DS/Wii U for fun and Melee competitively (although I also have fun playing melee)

MookieRah

Kinda Sorta OK at Smash
Something that I think is lost in this huge internet clash is that even the people that diss on Sm4sh for it's competitive merits would probably would think of Sm4sh as a fun game. There is a big difference between playing a game for fun and trying to play a game competitively.

MudkipUniverse

Smash Ace
NNID
VolcanicAsh
It's a very stereotypical saying that "melee players approve of smash 4." I'm going to have to stick with Melee.

Joe73191

Smash Journeyman
I will try the Wii U for one or two tournaments in addition to Melee, but then will most likely go back to PM and Melee with no Smash 4 at all.

BTmoney

a l l b e c o m e $
inb4 Project M for Smash 4 for the Wii U/3DS (that'll be the name)
That would be so filthy and I'd play tf out of that.

Yeah I'll buy the 3DS version and may even get a wii u eventually but I can't imagine liking the game more than I like melee so I don't see myself focusing on it unless it becomes EXTREMELY more convenient to compete in and play & it has that high level of depth and fun factor that melee has (or at least comparable, not the same obviously).

I mean if we start having locals for smash 4 and I'm winning all them ($$$) then things might be different lol. But really as we learned multiple times now, melee is just too good. The only problem with melee is that it's slightly too hard IMO at any level. I can't take an intentionally stripped down version of a complex game that seriously. No offense to anyone but if you've been playing melee for years and you go watch a brawl combo video it's gonna look pretty boring.

I selected
"I will try to play both versions, but most likely drop them again for Melee"

Last edited:

gmBottles

Fun Haver
NNID
komfyking
The game simply isn't as good in a competitive setting. For me, Smash 4 is going to be just for fun. The game rewards camping and defensive play too much for it to attract a large enough crowd to go big. Though I do think that once the WiiU version drops there will be lots of tournaments with Smash 4. I think it could be cool as a side-event though.

Top Bottom