• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

PM 3.5 | Mewtwo Shadowball Charge Effect Glitch

WildestSpade1

Smash Cadet
Title of the bug: Mewtwo Shadowball Charge Effect Glitch

Version found in: Found in both Homebrew and No Homebrew versions

Hardware you are running: Wii

Loading Method: Homebrew runs on CFG USB Loader while No Homebrew version runs from standard Brawl disk through the stage builder

Details: If Mewtwo fully charges a shadowball, saves it, and then is hit while throwing the fully charged shadowball with a command grab or a move that forces him to trip, go to sleep, or become stunned, the purple glow effect that indicates having a charged shadowball does not disappear, but the shadowball loses all charge. Note that the ball must be saved first (which activates the glowing effect), and this does not work if he is hit while throwing a shadowball that is currently charging. Below is a complete list of moves I have confirmed that the glitch works with, but others may exist:

Snake – Side B (sleep)
Captain Falcon – Up B (command grab)
Diddy Kong – Thrown banana (trip); Side B (command grab)
Gannon – Side B and Up B (command grab)
Kirby – Neutral B (command grab, mash out or copy both produce glitch)
Ivysaur – Down B (stun)
Squirtle – Down B (trip)
Jigglypuff – Up B (sleep)
Mewtwo – Down B (stun)
Bowser – Side B (command grab)
Wario – Neutral B (command grab)

Note that the following moves DID NOT produce the bug despite having potential:

Lucario – Side B (command grab)
Mewtwo – Side B (command grab)
Zero Suit – Down Smash and Neutral B (stun)
DK – Side B (grounds)
Yoshi – Neutral B (command grab)

Also, it does not matter if Mewtwo is in the air or on the ground while throwing the shadowball if command grabbed. Moves that cause sleep/stun/trips do not effect airborne opponents and therefore do not cause the glitch if Mewtwo is in the air. Additionally, I tested other characters that have charge indicators to see if this glitch was more universal. However, I did not find another character with this behavior. I tested the following characters:

Lucario (flashes when aura sphere is charged)
Samus (blaster blinks when charge shot is charged)
DK (steams when giant punch is charged)

Attachments: I have no images, but this bug is easily reproducible using debug mode. Just charge a shadowball and save it. Then, enter the throwing animation just before being hit by one of the above moves. The timing is not critical; if contacted at any point during the start up animation the glitch will occur.

Custom Content: None other than a couple of custom songs.

Last edited:

TimeSmash

Smash Champion
NNID
nintend64
More of a curiousity than anything, did you see if a charged ZSS stun in the air made the same thing happen? I know you said you tested her, but it didn't specify if you tried it airborne, since she is really the only one that can stun in the air.

WildestSpade1

Smash Cadet
Just tested it, and Zero Suit's stun does not cause the issue when Mewtwo is hit in the air. I also tried it with them both in the air, which also does not work. I noticed that I left Diddy Kong's side b (command grab) off the list as well. Both the areal and grounded versions of this move cause the glitch.

Top Bottom