• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Pivot boost grabbing

LovinMitts

Smash Journeyman
I've noticed that if you input a pivot grab after a dash attack in the same timeframe that you'd normally input a grab for a boost grab, you appear to boost significantly forward while pivot grabbing. I'm unable to provide pictures or video due to lack of a capture device, so I'm gonna have to ask you to try this for yourselves if you want to see what I mean.

I have two questions from here:

1. Was this already known?

If so, disregard this thread completely, lock it even.

2. Does this actually increase Sheik's grab range more than a pivot grab or a boost grab?

In other words, does this have a practical use? Upon trying this, I seem to have gotten some pretty long ranged grabs, but it may all be placebo and it could've just been normal pivot grab range.

UPDATE/EDIT: I went into debug mode and looked at the grab boxes to see if they changed at all between when the pivot boost grab and the regular pivot grab. There didn't appear to be a difference. I also wasn't incredibly precise, so somebody may want to correct me there as I only eyeballed it.

I'm still inconclusive on whether not this has an actual use.

Last edited:

cisyphus

Smash Ace
Definitely already well-known. Most characters with noteworthy boost grabs (Wolf, Snake, Ganon...) already use it, and I've definitely played lots of Sheik mains that make use of it. It more shifts what region of the map you cover with your grab, and also provides the benefit of a quick turnaround grab, which can aid in trapping your opponent's DI if you've been conditioning them to a certain throw.

Last edited:

HelloAxi

Smash Cadet
3DS FC
2938-6948-6908
This needs to be utilized much more after b throws nerf. Imagine how solid it would be. I think it covers slightly farther than a jc grab. But the turnaround is what it's really about.

D

Deleted member

this is known but not good. dont use it. being a good player means knowing which tools to use and when, and some you will end up never using. this is one of them

ForgottenLabRat

Smash Journeyman
I actually just discovered this too on my own. It has been known for a while but I found something really weird with this. If you pivot grab a spacey (Fox, Falco, or Wolf) with Sheik on a platform and instantly down throw, they will instantly hit the ground and not bounce. I haven't done this versus an actual person but I'm pretty sure they would miss the tech if they were expecting the small knockback from the throw. I have only done a time amount of testing on this but as far as I can tell, this only works on spaceys but it does work on all platforms as long as the platform isn't moving away from under you. Tell me what you guys think.

Top Bottom