• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Pikachu's grab follow-ups

Vlade

Social Outcast
Man we need more discussion on these boards. I'm surprised that we still don't have a thread for this because it's actually pretty important - Pikachu's grab game is not as simple as dthrow usmashing characters that aren't fox/falco/wolf/falcon. There's a LOT of character specific and DI specific stuff to consider when landing a grab and following up off of it. You can't really get a feel for what works on characters unless you have played the matchup to a decent extent, so it would be great if you guys could give input on the characters you actually do have knowledge about. If we actually get some responses I'm more than happy to compile a list of what to do off a grab at what % and what DI against which character in this post.

Also who can/can't we fthrow chaingrab? Pretty sure we can do it on Bowser, DDD, DK, Snake, Ike? See sometimes they spotdodge before I get the regrab after fthrow and I'm not sure if whether it's me ****ing up or if they DI away then it's not guaranteed anymore. Can someone shed some light on this? I play against a bowser main regularly and normally I end up dthrow CGing him. If they DI away the dthrow CG works, but if they DI up you cant regrab unless they are at very low % maybe but you can usmash.

Mario: Yes you can just dthrow usmash him at low % but if he DIs upwards you don't get the sweetspot (you still get the semi sweetspot, which is the part where you still hit them upwards but it does less damage. I'm not talking about the tail hitbox). If he DIs upwards however you can do SH uair which sends Mario behind you and then dash usmash. Also I have landed fthrow -> usmash at kill %, I'm still not sure why it worked and admittedly I was on the smashville moving platform (so I wouldn't be surprised if this mattered) but it's still something worth looking into. I'm pretty sure it worked because he was DIing up, I mean you can pretty much never follow up fthrow if they DI away.

Toon Link: Pretty sure Toon Link can DI away and tech the dthrow at 0%. But after a little % has been built the sweetspot of usmash is guaranteed. Dthrow dair is a solid kill setup I've used but probably DI dependent?

Peach/ROB/other floaties: I've found that even at 0% dthrow only leads to uair and then nothing else (unlike mario) which is a bit lackluster. However fthrow usmash (like in brawl) seems to be working so I suggest doing that.

Wario: Dthrow chaingrab is possible but depends on them DIing away, maybe even fthrow can chaingrab. Can't go wrong with dthrow -> usmash though, and then at mid % dthrow -> uair -> usmash is guaranteed.

Metaknight: Can always tech dthrow at 0% if they DI correctly (downwards and away I believe). You can mix them up with fthrow -> regrab though because usually they sit in shield to tech/shield the running usmash. This would only work so much though, they'll catch on and start spotdodging/rolling. But then after that I'm pretty sure that Pika can dthrow chaingrab metaknight and then follow up with usmash. As for specific %s I can't comment. Would love it if someone can post on this.

Also as a general comment I've found that on stages with platforms like BF you can dthrow -> land on platform with fair -> usmash.

That's all I have for now, will post more when it comes to mind later. Hopefully you learnt something and I hope people share their knowledge on characters I haven't posted about, or even add more to what I've already said.

Psyant

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Psyant
Did some testing yesterday. Can confirm that up throw is literally a 0-death on Wolf. It chaingrabs him from 0% until up smash death %. Once he gets to 100-110% you can just up smash him off up throw to kill. All he can do is DI off stage/to a platform during the chaingrab. If you're on FD it's an easy kill because he has to DI off stage and a followup aerial will seal his fate 9/10 times.

Fox can be chaingrabbed with Uthrow from 0-54%. After that he can jump out. That basically confirms uthrow is not the same as in Melee, as it chaingrabs Fox starting from 12% until death in that game.

For Fox/Falco/Falcon, at the point where they're just about to be able to jump out of the next uthrow (54% for Fox, 20% for Falcon, not sure on Falco yet), you can transition into down throw which can carry on from where up throw left off and 0-death (ends in up smash) if they have bad/no DI. Note you can't use down throw from 0% though as they can floor tech, and it's not gonna work as a chaingrab against people with good DI. Uthrow CG however can't be escaped regardless of opponent's DI, you just need to chase it on reaction.

Dthrow can chaingrab some other relatively fast fallers like Roy and Metaknight at lower %s, but again depends on bad DI. That said almost nobody DIs Pikachu's down throw correctly, lol. We wouldn't get so many free up smash followups if they did.

Fthrow seems to be a true chaingrab against a few characters like Bowser and Dedede from what I can tell. Against others like Wario it kind of works but if they DI away they can escape.

Basically, Fthrow and Dthrow, your mileage will vary depending on opponent's DI. Uthrow is the real deal though, for the few characters it works on.

Last edited:
Top Bottom