• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Pikachu needs some changes

There are quite a few things he needs that would improve his game play and overall combo game that he doesn't actually have.

Aerials-

FAir: Reduce the start up by 2-3 frames or give hitboxes 10-24 more hitstun to encourage L canceling the move early to follow up and or grab. Pikachu's FAir does similar things like Fox's and Mario's dair. However, Pikachu's fair has minimal hitstun which can also be CCed at any percent except the last hit. Or give it properties like Fox and Mario's Dair which prevent CC in the middle of the move.

Grabs-

Problem: Squirtle is the same height and size as Pikachu. Squirtle has what appears to be a worse grab range and hitbox placement. However for Squirtle its not an issue due to being able to slide into the opponent while grabbing which basically extends the range. Almost every player who uses a character with good grab combo or follow ups should or already uses JCG (Jump Cancel Grab) to do a standing grab while running to extend its range and to avoid the endlag a dash grab has. Pikachu has the 2nd worst grab range but has good grab follow ups. The issue with him is that his grab range is terrible. Dash grab reaches further but is slower and has longer endlag. Doing a JCG with Pikachu is the worst idea because of his good traction. This means he doesn't slide at all during some of his ground options. So doing JCG will not extend the range a bit by sliding some, but it will make you stop completely.

Solution(s) : Change his grab animation to something like Kirby's where he reaches out with the full length of his arm. Place the grab boxes properly to fit the new animation. I hate Smash 4 but thats where they at least did that right. This will make his JCG worth it even with the traction.

Physics-

Reduce his traction a bit. He's not wearing boots or any kind of high grip foot wear. Nor does he have claws to get any kind of traction. While I dont expect him to get Luigi level traction, He should at least slide more than he already doesn't. I can understand characters like Sonic, Falcon, and Fox having less traction and sliding a bit due to their speed, why doesn't Pikachu get this same kind of accommodation. Roy is slower than Pikachu but has a far better ability to slide around while wearing combat boots. While their gear shouldn't effect their actual character and thats more me just nit picking, Pikachu's high traction is something that does need to change. Pikachu even has slightly less traction in melee which is what I thought PMDT was going for in terms of mechanics and physics.

Choice Scarf

Smash Journeyman
Dude a lot of this can be fixed by just adapting.

If your Fair is being CC'd so much then chances are you're using it too much. Cross-up to avoid the shield grab or bait the CC and empty hop grab instead. Not to mention if Fair gets too good then Fair > Upsmash would get too good and we want to keep Upsmash the way it is.

If JC grab doesn't reach, then you just literally need to dash/run for a couple more frames before doing it. The lower endlag is worth it.

High traction is good for not going anywhere when you are shielding, which is crucial for Pika to stay in the little range he has. If it's mobility you're concerned about you shouldn't be using wavedash as your primary movement option since you can't do anything during the 10 frames of the wavedash. And you can't really associate traction with aesthetics like footwear - ICs have cleats yet have like the 3rd or 4th best wavedash in the game.

If your Fair is being CC'd so much then chances are you're using it too much. Cross-up to avoid the shield grab or bait the CC and empty hop grab instead. Not to mention if Fair gets too good then Fair > Upsmash would get too good and we want to keep Upsmash the way it is..
I rarely use the move because of CC. Even when I decide to use it, once the first hit makes contact they can CC on reaction. The first 4 hits are really light and its easy to get away with. Also I know you're a Pikachu main so how can you not want FAir > upsmash? Fox has Jab, dash attack, and Nair, which guarantee an upsmash follow up. You also have Mario who can CC a ton of stuff and then Dtilt to Fair or upsmash. Not only that, he can also jab or Dair to up and down smash. There are plenty of characters who can do these type of things, so Fair>Upsmash wouldn't be unreasonable at all.

Interesting fact. Did you know Fox and Mario's Dairs which do similar things like Pikachu's fair cannot be CC so that they can connect properly? Before the last hit of their Dairs, if you are touching the ground you cannot block or CC because you are put into a state that is dubbed by fans as "Forbidden DI/SDI". If you dont know what that is, use Fox and shine Marth or Zelda. They cannot tech, CC or do anything to protect themselves for long enough to get an easy follow up. Fox who is the best character in the game has things like this, but Pikachu having it with his Fair is not unreasonable at all. Its not like it will be as easy as Fox's because you would have to L Cancel Fair before the last hit that knocks them away.

If JC grab doesn't reach, then you just literally need to dash/run for a couple more frames before doing it. The lower endlag is worth it..
It takes 2-3 frames to shield, 3 to spot dodge and about the same to roll. wasting extra frames to run a bit further is giving your opponent more time to recover and get away. Pikachu is not fast enough to reliably close the gap and JCG. Without your opponent having time to roll away. His current JCG has one use to me. Chain grabs. Because I dont have to run far to do them and the opponent is already in a situation to not do anything about it.

High traction is good for not going anywhere when you are shielding, which is crucial for Pika to stay in the little range he has. If it's mobility you're concerned about you shouldn't be using wavedash as your primary movement option since you can't do anything during the 10 frames of the wavedash. And you can't really associate traction with aesthetics like footwear - ICs have cleats yet have like the 3rd or 4th best wavedash in the game.
Having high traction actually doesn't help him currently. You actually wont be getting pushed back while in shield if you tilt your shield towards the opponent. Less traction will actually push you closer. Thats why I suggested a different grab animation so that his current traction wouldn't be a problem. Also I clearly stated that the whole footware and gear was just me nit picking. Almost every character has a guaranteed follow up to death on most of the cast. Pikachu racks up damage pretty well, but cannot kill most of the cast without hard reads, gimps, or stage dependency on fast fallers.

MorphGuy1000

Smash Cadet
Try cross-up Fair to Dsmash. Works wonders and you can usually tail spike after to set-up an edgeguard situation.

Wigls

Smash Rookie
Wishing a character was better dont change nothing. PMDT only considers pro-level input really anyways. Pikachu is still the most fun character to play in the game. Just learn to use her(/him) differently.
About fair, I think it only really works on the ground as a mix up, you have to catch them by surprise/smash DI'ing the wrong way. If you get it it follows into grab/usmash so its pretty potent. Its really not the best neutral option tho, since the nature of the hitbox requires you to stay pretty much on top of them for its duration, if it flubs they get to whack you. Overshoot nair or dtilt or if you fancy QAC behind into aerial are all way safer.
Other than that fair isn't the best option for most situations. It can be good shield pressure someone on a platform, something to put an opponent into hitstun/not knock them back too far if you're trying to extend a juggle.

Top Bottom