• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Phoenix Arizona - Smash Bros Melee Tournament - July 14, 2007

AltF4

BRoomer
BRoomer
Oh in case you didn't read my bio GU, I'm a Computer Science major over at ASU. And as such, I can handle any and all nerdy needs and questions.

shiva39

Smash Journeyman
This thing is really far away.

Greg, I'm looking at you. If I end up needing your transport, I would certainly split the gas 1/3. When do you guys want to leave to make it by noon? 10:30 or so?

:'( @ not playing for months.

AltF4

BRoomer
BRoomer
Good question, Butters!

Traditional TV screens (CRT's) are essentially particle guns. Way in the back of them, there is a tube (That's why TV's are commonly called "tubes") that when heated and applied electrical current, shoots electrons out at the the back of the screen. The screens used to be curved for two reasons:

1) So that every part of the screen is the same distance from the particle tube. Every time a pixel shines, the gun has to focus its aim on to that point of the screen. If everywhere on the screen is the same distance away, then it makes it easier to aim. More modern technology makes it possible to accomplish this aiming even without a curved screen however. (Flat screen CRT's)

2) A curved screen is more easily viewed from an angle as it gives less geometric distortion than a flat screen. When TV's were first made they often were small and crowded. Viewing from an angle would be a problem. Today this is not as big of a deal, and in fact the curved screen tends to work only as a convex mirror that causes glare.

Today you still see curved TV screens being sold really only because it is slightly cheaper, not for any other reason though.

Butters 000

Smash Journeyman
Good question, Butters!

Traditional TV screens (CRT's) are essentially particle guns. Way in the back of them, there is a tube (That's why TV's are commonly called "tubes") that when heated and applied electrical current, shoots electrons out at the the back of the screen. The screens used to be curved for two reasons:

1) So that every part of the screen is the same distance from the particle tube. Every time a pixel shines, the gun has to focus its aim on to that point of the screen. If everywhere on the screen is the same distance away, then it makes it easier to aim. More modern technology makes it possible to accomplish this aiming even without a curved screen however. (Flat screen CRT's)

2) A curved screen is more easily viewed from an angle as it gives less geometric distortion than a flat screen. When TV's were first made they often were small and crowded. Viewing from an angle would be a problem. Today this is not as big of a deal, and in fact the curved screen tends to work only as a convex mirror that causes glare.

Today you still see curved TV screens being sold really only because it is slightly cheaper, not for any other reason though.
ooooh, i luv yu

CHUK

Smash Ace
This is 49 mins (according to mapquest) away from my house. I would Love to go but I would obviously need a ride. Will give gas money.

GamersUniversity

Smash Cadet
I didn't get a response directly, but I'm gonna bring a setup (TV, cube, smash) so I'm assuming thats ok to use in tournament. You can just make sure all the stages are right and whatnot. I think it will make things move along nicer.
Yes, please bring yours if it isn't too much trouble. I will get you something cool for helping out :)

If anyone was curious about the prize structure (my apologies for not putting out upfront, a lot of things are highly conditional because of the group's personal investment) I want to distribute it in something like a
8 (or maybe 10)
Structure, 3rd place will get 2x what 4th place gets, 2nd place gets 4x what 4th place gets, etc.

The actual amounts will be a % of the total pool of entry fees, anywhere from 60% to 80% I'd imagine (the more people show up, and if people re-buy into the tournaments a lot, the less from each entry it'll take to cover costs, and the more the prize pool gets)

On top of that, I have some demo discs, T-shirts, and other goodies to roll into the event as door prizes or just for people who help out a lot or are exceptionally sportmanlike or awesome.

Plus there will be soda and chips and stuff for sale to help boost the prize pool

Flare233

Smash Journeyman
Well my mom just bought 3 entries, one for me, one for my sister and one for my friend Joseph. Just letting u know GU so you can't say we can't enter when we show up.

We need to bring the order number or what? How exactly does it work? How will you know they are our entry fees?

Also, I'm getting a 404 error for the 2of3 rules. What are the counterpick rules? Sorry for all the questions, lol.

GamersUniversity

Smash Cadet
Well my mom just bought 3 entries, one for me, one for my sister and one for my friend Joseph. Just letting u know GU so you can't say we can't enter when we show up.

We need to bring the order number or what? How exactly does it work? How will you know they are our entry fees?

Also, I'm getting a 404 error for the 2of3 rules. What are the counterpick rules? Sorry for all the questions, lol.
We will have your name attached to the paypal order, so just let us know that name is and what the names of the two others are at the door and you'll be fine. If you want to shoot me an email so it's already all set on the list, shoot an email to endymian [at] gamersuniversity [dot] com. As long as you sent the order for three entries into the same event, we will know that there are three more people that are supposed to be on that list.

And I will look into that 404 error this evening as soon as I get home from work. Dreamhost is...not the greatest, it's probably something silly.

thanks for the heads-up

Flare233

Smash Journeyman
So I'm all set then? Do I have to tell you our real names or our "alias?" Before we get there or when we arrive? I apologize for the questions, I get real confused with stuff like this. I have bad experiences with things not going as planned because I didn't have enough info.

I guess I don't have to email you, that's not required?

Flare233

Smash Journeyman
Sweet. So what do you think is the earliest we are allowed to be there? I am probably going to be dropped off around an hour to 45 minutes early due to issues with my ride. Free play anyone? :)

P.S. A friend of mine that I'm bringing hardly plays smash at all but is entering regardless because he wanted to come. I just ask that whoever else is coming, please, PLEASE don't verbally humiliate him when he is getting a beating.

Wobbles

Desert ******
BRoomer
Smashers don't do so unless somebody talks massive amounts of trash before being horrible at the game. If your friend is cool, then he won't be insulted. Much. We do like to make fun of each other though ^_^

D4rk_Sh3ik

Smash Ace
hey shiv, not sure that we can even make the 12pm time, can make the 2:30 and doubles. i do have to work and such and its a far drive. but if u dont mind getting there a bit late and not making the 1st event ok. call me, 602-690-6365

Wobbles

Desert ******
BRoomer
Hmm... sorry, you have numbers in your screen name. Only Taj can do that. No friendlies for you.

Yeah I'll play some friendlies ^^; who doesn't like friendlies?

Dragonkitty

Smash Rookie
I'll have Endymian post all the results tomorrow morning we had a pretty decent turn out considering another big event was going on. We are already starting to plan the next one so stay tuned to the website :)

maXXXpower

Smash Champion
Another big event? Are you talking about FCDiamond? That thing must have been studly. Is that over, yet? Or is it a multi day event like OC?

Wobbles

Desert ******
BRoomer
1v1

1: Me
2: Light
3: Dark
4: Goop

2v2:

1: Light and Dark
2: Me and AltF4
3: Sizzle and Flare I think
4: Poor guys never knew what hit 'em.

Guitar Hero 2:

1: ME, *****ES.

Flare233

Smash Journeyman
here's the rest I THINK, correct me if I'm wrong, there could have been more players

5. AltF4
6. Me
7. Sizzle
?. Marth player (RoyKing?)
?. Some G-dorf player (this kid wasn't that bad)

I loved this tournament. Very awesome experience. It was nice to meet you guys.

Sizzle - You rock. nice tech skills. Keep workin on the mindgames and spacing. I can relate to people who can only train on computers lol.

Light - Frickin sick. You are too good bro, go and win some big tourneys.

Wobbles - It was an honor to face you on the first round, lol. I think you were sandbagging with the Dr. Mario but you rightfully owned me. I can appreciate a top player who plays the game for fun and isn't too serious :)

Goop - You're a cool guy and a great player. I look forward to coming to your tournaments!

Dragonkitty

Smash Rookie
Hey guys stay tuned in the next day or so I will be posting when the next event will be. Its going to be Sept. I am hoping for the 15th or the 29th....

Scratch that the 29th of September is a GO! I will keep you updated and see if we cant get this event on the Calendar....I want to make this one bigger and even better then the last.

Sizzle

I paint controllers
Fun Tourney good to see everyone again.

Flare- You were pretty good I was decently surprised. You have a lot of drive to be better which is great.

Wobbles- You took my dollar, but it was fun anyway. Good to see you again, you're so much fun to play.

Light- Good to see you again, can't wait to see you tear it up at OC3.

Dark- We couldn't finish a match for like the first half of the tourney lol. I'll have your controller done soon.

Goop- Sizzle Combo is too good lol. I'll try and make it down to your place when I can.

Dan- Your falco has gotten so much better since I last played you. You won't get so many spikes off on me next time ^_^

GamersUniversity

Smash Cadet
How was this thing? How many people showed up? Who won? So many questions.
Heheh, first I want to thank everyone again for coming.

In the 1vs1 tournament, the results were:
1st: Wobbles
2nd: Brad Y.

2vs2 winners:
Greg Y. & Brad Y.

Wobbles also won one of our Guitar Hero 2 tournaments :)

AltF4Warrior and Sizzle also got shirts for being awesome and bringing TV/cubes setups with them.

We really appreciate the support, I think we had a pretty good turnout all in all. Hopefully we'll be able to get bigger sponsors for the next tournament have have bigger prizes to give to everyone. :) More details to come!

AltF4

BRoomer
BRoomer
It was great meeting everyone. I love meeting some of the faces behind the names here on the boards. Some quick shouts:

-The guys (and girl) from GU: Thanks for putting together the tourney. Hopefully you'll identify some of the things you thought went well and do them again, while eliminating some of the things that didn't. It was great fun and that's the bottom line.

-Sizzle: Good seeing you again. It's hard going when you only play computers. You gotta come down and play with the rest of us more, you wind up getting better in no time.

-Manny: I don't really need to shout anything out to you since I see too much already. ( jk jk <3 ) Just didn't want to to feel left out.

-Light: Too good as usual. You've just about perfected your edge guarding on Fox/Falco. Nobody is out of your league.

-Dark: Good games. Mark my words, next time we meet in a tourney you're going down. :)

-Wobbles: Good job on wining it all. I didn't know you were THAT good at GH2, you went crazy on them. I take personal responsibility for us not winning in doubles. That last stock with light still haunts me. I'll be ready next time.

-Alicia: Thanks again for putting up with my nonsense and having fun on your band new DS. ;)

Later

Top Bottom