• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Patient vs. Aggressive: Which is better?

Pwneroni

Smash Lord
IMO a mix of both campy and aggressive is the best way to go. Know what and when your openings are, and don't try to force an opening. Certain situations call for camping/aggro, so know those and you will succeed. This style is simply called "Zen Style".

Waymas

Smash Journeyman
agree with pwneroni u need to learn both styles kause ur goin to need em for sum matchups like toonlink

Excellence

Smash Champion
I think this is strongly match-up dependent however playing defensively rather than aggressively will get you a lot further. My view point is this. Wario's success stems from usage of his fast aerial acceleration, quickly cancelling moves, durability, and ability to KO while not getting KO'd. To maximize the potential of these qualities, you have to not get hit. I'm not saying playing aggressively you'll be getting hit all the time, that's not what I want to push across at all. But as Wario, you won't be countering moves as much as you will be waiting for someone to fall into a trap then place themselves in another trap for you to punish. You can do this offensively with pressure but it's been a lot more benifical to do this while being patiently and letting the percentage and time be the opponent's pressure. When you think about it, Wario's worse match-ups are those who don't really get pressured by him because they either have a weapon to keep him at arm's length or superior aerial ability. Dedede, Meta Knight, Marth, and Peach. It's much more troublesome to deal with a good defensive than offensive player and imo, this is why.

femmetriforce

Smash Apprentice
I prefer Aggressive style, with a little patient, I'm a huge fan of pressing my rival, but I also wait my rival use a laggy movement, to fart, well not laggy per se, but there are moves that if the opponent misses are a sure fart...

Sorry for my English =D

Zelderu Maryoto

Smash Apprentice
I think it's best to mix the defensiveness and offensiveness.

Wario is really good at playing unpredictably.

Pwneroni

Smash Lord
This last weekend I played way too aggressively. It was FRICKEN FUUUN!!!!!!!!! FUNNEST TOURNEY MATCHES EVER!!! but I lost early and got 13th place :/

I played really aggro against Deathnote, who played Luigi. Made a dumb decision in the end and tried to ftilt his misfire (could have ended it if I just shielded and farted) god dammit haha. No regrets though, it's how I do! :p

Zigsta

Disney Film Director
NNID
Zigsta
3DS FC
1547-5526-6811
I personally prefer patient/campy Wario. I dig camping because when performed properly, it's harder to punish with grabs.

When I get a hit off, it's usually a small handfull before I go back to camping.

I also like yelling the name of the Wario main who does/used to do the tactic I'm using. :p

GOL | 482 | JSalt

The Folse Deity
NNID
JSalty
I also like yelling the name of the Wario main who does/used to do the tactic I'm using. :p
This is indeed true.

I've played a more aggressive playstyle as of late. Almost so that I kinda forgot how to camp. That's what cost me at HOBO 27, so I've been making adjustments to add more baits and traps rather than just putting shield pressure onto the opponent.

Zigsta

Disney Film Director
NNID
Zigsta
3DS FC
1547-5526-6811
I yell:

1) FICTION--multiple spotdodges
2) DMG--double jump to bike to jump to avoid conflict
3) BASSEM--random DACUS
4) JNIG--random dash attack
5) BLUE ROGUE--biking approach onstage
6) REFLEX--dtilt, namely to edgeguard
7) GLUTTONY--z-dropping tire shenanigans
8) PHANTOMX--jab to fsmash
9) PWNERONI--dtilt to Waft

Dynomite

Smash Champion
NNID
GA_Dyno
I yell:

1) FICTION--multiple spotdodges
2) DMG--double jump to bike to jump to avoid conflict
3) BASSEM--random DACUS
4) JNIG--random dash attack
5) BLUE ROGUE--biking approach onstage
6) REFLEX--dtilt, namely to edgeguard
7) GLUTTONY--z-dropping tire shenanigans
8) PHANTOMX--jab to fsmash
9) PWNERONI--dtilt to Waft
10) MASKY-- time them out when i can obv get the last kill.
11) DYNO--UpB to attack
12)MALCOLM-- pick yellow overalls.

GOL | 482 | JSalt

The Folse Deity
NNID
JSalty
I do not RANDOM dash attacks! They have a purpose!

It's quick and usually catches the opponent off guard, and hits them up well at high %!

Zigsta

Disney Film Director
NNID
Zigsta
3DS FC
1547-5526-6811
I do not RANDOM upsmash! They have a purpose!

It's quick and usually catches the opponent off guard, and hits them up well at high %!
You used to do dash attack. :p

Since you became a power top, though, you stopped using it as much.

Zigsta

Disney Film Director
NNID
Zigsta
3DS FC
1547-5526-6811
I like to live in a world of fantasy where dash attack, uptilt, dtilt and up B are good moves. :idea:

I expected a little more imagination from a Disney fan. :ohwell:
PX ruined my imagination when it comes to Wario.

Orion*

Smash Researcher
people suck at wafting, its so good. comes out on frame 5 niggz

everyone just uses it like, OH I THINK HES GONNA AIRDODGE, and its so obvious like 99% of the time,
or they just throw it out or something, like good people dont know when you have a fart or not >_>.

abuse the super armor, the awkward hit boxes on it, your head even though its crappy priority, ect

and NOT BEING GREEDY FOR THE WAFT, if you dont see your opponent letting you, and hes playing safe // knows you have a waft. just keep biting him. play like falco mentality, and just kill w/ fthrow. just having fart is gay, you dont NEED to use it

niggz are slow w/ the mindgames

i miss fiction playing

Pwneroni

Smash Lord
I changed my mind: aggressive is way better. Wario has the ability to apply great amounts of pressure, and he can dance just outside an opponent's range with his great speed. You can be really aggro with the fat man if you do it right, just running in blindly and being predictable isn't the way to do it. He has great mixups, pokes and small combos, really good grab range and cool throws that setup for followups (mainly dthrow and uthrow, fthrow for a good chunk of damage). Not to mention when you are comboing and following up an opponent, you can easily read their dodges and punish with a NUCLEAR FART!!!

Nothing is more satisfying than ending an chain of hits with a fart. No joke!

Dynomite

Smash Champion
NNID
GA_Dyno
Ive been trying more aggressive ways of playing lately. Especially against zerosuit. A campy zss i played gets torn up by me but when he gets aggressive i cant really hold my own. I have to resort to playing defensive.

Now im starting to rethink the D3 matchup from camping to straight up spacing and applying more pressure aggressively. but im not gonna be really dumb and land with a Dair right in front of him.

Krystedez

Awaken the Path
(just entering topic)..

Um...

Patient? Aggressive?...

I LIKE BIKE
(whisks out of topic on a wheelie)

To be serious though, I'm super aggressive and don't let the opponent get away, and super campy/patient when I lose a fart/need to keep a stock lead.

Top Bottom