• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Over-Countering Marths

Plegend

Smash Rookie
I just began playing as Luigi around 3-4 days ago. I love his wavesmashing with Down Smash, his shffl aerial game is ridiculous, and his throw to double aerial is absolutely sick.

My brother plays an annoying Marth, he stays on the attack 24-7 with shffl aerials, forward throws, and then forward smashes to edgeguard.

This I can handle, what I can't seem to handle is the ENDLESS counters. Double Air Counters, teching towards me and countering, fainting the shffld aerial and countering, I mean he truely abuses it.

I can occasionally pause for the counter and then D-Smash or grab, but then sometimes when I pause, he doesn't counter and instead Nairs me in the face.

Luigi's grab is to short to shield grab after the blocked aerials due to Marth's sword length.

Any suggestions?

HoshiPuri

Smash Journeyman
There are times when you need to roll dodge! Roll dodge behind him and then make an attack. Marth's forward smash is really annoying. Especially if your an aerialist. The tipper is easy to get when you are jumping around. If you can wavedash back and forth and play a mindgame for him to release a forward smash that misses, you can punish him back with the little lag time after that smash. Because most Marths are in love with their forward smash, don't really shuffle into Marth. The smash has too much priority and will most likely tipper you. Because Luigi's wavedash is awesome, link that to a grab so you can shuffle him. To me, the safest and most efficient shuffles are after a throw and comboing them from the air either than comboing from the ground. Luigi's down B can also be used in a battle as sort of a knock up attack while your opponents are laying down on a runaway attack. Instead of shield grabbing, you know how you can jump right after you have a shield, you can shuffle out of a shield. Other things... uhm, when you get back on the stage do not jump first, jump when you are near the stage. Other than that forward B nearing up onto the stage. Then jump and then use his Up B.

Pink Luigi is for the win. It's Luigi's lucky color!

Lixivium

Smash Champion
Clearly you're not doing a good job of punishing him for whiffing a counter, and he must miss a few. If he whiffs a counter, don't instinctively WD -> D-smash, use the F-smash or U-smash instead. Those have a greater chance of killing him. Heck, fire uppercut his @$$ if you see the opening. The point is to make him think twice about spamming counters (although I don't see why you would really want to)

Besides that, stay on the ground more so you can use your GRABS. He can't counter those, and grabs are the best setups you have against Marth. Chaingrab D-throw at low percentages, D-throw -> JC U-smash, U-throw -> aerial, etc.

Gea

Smash Master
Yeah... Look at things this way:

Marth is best played with his range. By countering, he is allowing you to get **** close. Solution? Grab, or fakeout into a usmash (that's my personal favorite)... or even a ping.

But its pretty much been said.

Also: Lixivium. GW now? Sweet.

Lixivium

Smash Champion
Also: Lixivium. GW now? Sweet.
LOL, I actually main Ice Climbers now. G&W is fun, but I can't do well with him. I picked that pic for my avatar because it looks good.

HoshiPuri

Smash Journeyman
@ On Topic: I always thought that Luigi had an okay range grab. If anyone wants to see short range grabs ask a Pikachu or a Pichu player about how they fare.

@ Lixivium: I've loving your signature.

Lixivium

Smash Champion
Lame :< Well... ICs are awesome but LAME. What happened to your Luigi?
I play Luigi against Peach and Spacies that I can't handle with IC's. My Luigi is pretty hopeless against Marths, Shieks, and some Falcons.

Lixivium

Smash Champion
Well, playing IC's against Peach is suicide; Luigi may not match up much better but there's less of a psychological disadvantage.

There's at least one very comborific Falco who I can't quite beat using IC's, but I can utterly destroy using Luigi because he jumps into sex kicks all day and doesn't DI any juggles. It's nice when you come across someone like that.

C 3

Smash Ace
Wavedash out of shields and wavedeash to smashes/jab to grab/jab to up B.

Since he constantly attacks, that leaves a possibility of open cances to strike. Be patient and wait for your chance. Better to be safe than sorry.

luigidude90

Smash Apprentice
has anyone got any hints for practicing my luigi on cpu, or by myself cos to be honest my friends really arent that good at this and thus dontget a decent challenge to up my game. ill be very grateful for any help. oh and can someone direct me to a thread about teching?

Zhilo

Smash Apprentice
Regarding training, what I resorted to is to increasing my friend's ability. When I first arrived here and learned about wavedashing, wallteching, and all that technical stuff, I started doing it with my newbie friends, and they were obiously impressed and asked how to do it. I gladly taught them and little by little we all improved to above average level.

TheZeroFaReal

Smash Apprentice
I'm confident 75% of the time when I play against Marth's. Depending on how many Tippers I get I pretty much have control of the match against Marths. I dunno the lag after forward smashes can easily be abused with side steps and Jab grabs. DON'T STAY IN THE AIR. Up Tilt, Forward Tilt are evil. I know Luigi's recovery can be easily taken advantage over so I guess the only way to survive is Mindgames, sweet spot the ledge, fast reaction, and know what the Marth is thinking. Watch out when you're in the air or have high percents because even with good DI up Tilts can kill a Luigi at high percents. Teching helps a lot as well. Get teching down when they forward smash. Pray for a wall tech jump into a discharge =P!

Shiri

Smash Chump
:yoshi: If the Marth is spamming counters, just throw fireballs.

No, seriously.

Smash Master
If Marth spams counter, wavedash in and taunt. It will hit him, you will laugh, and he will put the controller down and commit honorable sepikku.

unknown522

Some guy
this is no lie, u can cancel out his f-smash with u-tilt if it's not a tipper. Use u-tilt to tart combos, and also n-air works well because of his fast recovery while getting combo'd

Smash G 0 D

Leave Luck to Heaven
BRoomer
When Marth counters, wait, then run up to him and UpB OMGFTWTF

If he really does counter a lot, then you should be able to predict it by now..

Top Bottom