• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

OPPOSING Team Tinting. Not a listed known bug.

Kit Cal-N

Smash Ace
I know playing as Pokemon/Roy/Mewtwo on the same team can cause one to be tinted, but I was playing blue team Squirtle and an OPPOSING red team Charizard was tinted on a team with Link.
Ginge was able to replicate it and says:
Alright, so I replicated it with multiple partners, stages, and positioning of characters. So it seems that it isn't specific for just Link / one of the costumes.

EDIT:
Charizard just does not like being on Red team it seems.
Even with (only) Squirtle on Blue team vs. (only) Charizard on Red team, Charizard starts in his light coloring.

EDIT 2:
Does NOT happen with (only) Squirtle on Green Team vs. (only) Charizard on Red Team.
Does NOT happen with (only) Ivysaur on Green Team vs. (only) Charizard on Red Team.
Does NOT happen with (only) Ivysaur on Blue Team vs. (only) Charizard on Red Team.

So something specifically about Squirtle on Blue Team and Charizard on Red Team?

Brikmaethor

Smash Cadet
I have a feeling that this has something to do with Blue Team Squirtle and Red Team Charizard existing in the same colour slot. The game is detecting two Pokémon Trainer pokémon wearing [Colour 1], so it tints the character with the higher port number regardless of what team they are actually on.

KFrosty

Smash Apprentice
ah this is what I misunderstood in the other thread.

My question is this: Will Charizard be lighter if he is on P1 Red team versus a Blue Team Squirtle?

If so, temporary fix

KFrosty

Smash Apprentice
I have a feeling that this has something to do with Blue Team Squirtle and Red Team Charizard existing in the same colour slot. The game is detecting two Pokémon Trainer pokémon wearing [Colour 1], so it tints the character with the higher port number regardless of what team they are actually on.
It's odd how this happens to ONLY Charizard though

Brikmaethor

Smash Cadet
It's odd how this happens to ONLY Charizard though
I think it has to do with the arangement of colours.
Squirtle: Blue on 1, Red on 2, and Green on 3
Ivysaur: Blue on 4, Red on 2, and Green on 3
Charizard: Blue on 4, Red on 1, and Green on 3
Looking at this list, we see that the only pokémon that use the same slot for different teams are Squirtle and Charizard. I have yet to test it, but if the reverse of the situation described happens with Player 1 Red Team Charizard versus a higher port Blue Team Squirtle, I'd say that we've identified the issue.

KFrosty

Smash Apprentice
Ok this is going to be a long post, but I think I have a semi-simple solution to this bug, but I feel as if I should first explain my thoughts, so here it goes.

So now it's confirmed to not be exclusive to Charizard, yet it's odd how these two colors are having this issue. I guess the way that Pokemon trainer has been taken out makes the glitch happen. So while the Pokemon trainer no longer exist, Squirtle, Charizard and Ivysaur are all still considered to be him. And, since they are the "same character," the game shades them differently when they are using the same palette number.

I think this furthers the idea of my original post on the previous topic: The team palette numbers should be switched.

As I said before, Roy and Marth work together on the blue team because Marth's blue palette is in the first slot, but Roy's is fourth. However, red team does not work because the red palettes are both in slot 2. As long as the color palettes of each character were in differing number slots when facing each other, they should theoretically work. So if you were to make Roy's RGB palettes be even numbers (palettes 2,4,6) while making Marth's odd numbers (1,3,5) the problem should be solved.

The problem this gives though is that among all the Pokemon, there are not enough color slots to have each Pokemon be a different palette number. If you were to give Squirtle and Charizard the same numbers as Roy and Marth respectively, then that would leave Ivysaur with all clashing numbers. The only way to have this work is if at least one Pokemon was brought up to 9 palettes and used the last three palettes as his/her team colors. And while I know that there are enough slots to do it, and the lamer looking original brawl colors could be used, I do not know how much would the difficulty of implementing this step create for the staff. However, I do feel this might be the easiest way to solve the problem overall.

TL:DNR/Conclusion: Switch the Palette numbers for team colors around, and give one of the Pokemon three original brawl colors to use as his/her team colors.

Top Bottom