• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

On modified controllers

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cort

Apple Head
if u knew nealdt and my discussion u would know clearly this is about me, why would nealdt right lately in the specific west coast blah blah blah. The truth and fact is it is about me. Else this thread would be in the tournament discussion and not just specifically pacific west. Plus your on the ec why are u talking in this thread? dont you have ec threads to ignite.
The thread is not directly aimed at you. It's aimed at the poor saps that have accepted your mods and think they can get away with using them in tournaments Neal might be hosting. It is a simple reminder.

All the "EC threads" have turned to ash after I laid foot in them. This one was just too juicy to ignore. :)

CAOTIC

Woxy
BRoomer
That only thing that beats Socal drama is Australian drama. :)

But yeah this thread is ridiculous and goin round in circles. I wonder how you would regulate such a rule when people don't want other people touching their baby/controller

ZoSo

Smash Champion
I concur with the paradigm of biased perspective toward universal ethics. And stuff.

Truegamer#1

Smash Ace
Hum.. I don't think you're supposed to change any thing on a controller though, other then the way it looks :o And by doing what ever you do Mana, if it's more then changing the way it looks, it'll fall under some kind of mod.
I agree...
you should let your controler be what it is...
never change the appearance of your controler...
it just makes it look gay...

bbbooster

RAINBOW FLOWER MEGA CANNON
:(

Wow, 14 pages. My eyes are RED.

All I have to say is this:
Manacloud, you speak like a true businessman.

How perfectly disgusting.

I had such a different impression of you! I still can't believe those are all your posts.

Anyway, if I remember correctly, it was Bone at the last Triweekly who told me you said to him that he could probably beat you if he had a modded controller. Please just admit that what you do to peoples' controllers gives them an "edge" to their already-obtained skill.

People have time and again defined for you what a "mod" is, and I will restate what the general consensus has been:
A modded controller is a controller that has been modified by a third party to have it work in such a way that was not originally intended, namely to perform advanced tactics in Smash Bros. more quickly and efficiently. These alterations are different from store-bought official Nintendo controllers in regards to what the controllers themselves are now capable of doing. In other words, with these modifications, and not of one's own bodily merit, potential for greater skill has increased.
People aren't asking you to reveal how you mod these exactly (as everyone has a right to keep trade secrets, I suppose), but more like what do your modifications do. Kinda like not asking the baker how he bakes his delicious cookies (secret recipe!), but more like asking how they taste. :)

Please Manacloud, I know you have a sweeter heart than to be hiding what many know to be the truth. Many people have probably had that hard-to-reach title or grand prize slip away from them because their closely-levelled opponent had that "extra push" a.k.a. a modified controller during the matches they played. There's lots of other ways to make money, like selling your art! I bet if you really put your efforts towards those instead of modifying controllers, you could probably set up your own show in the near future! Do you really want to be the next dime-a-dozen businessman who can think of nothing else but the best way of getting more customers, and how to make the most profit?

You are SO much better than that! ^_^

nublet06

Smash Lord
i am fairly new to the smash scene. only been playing for a year. but i think one thing is clear in the land of socal.

Manacloud is never wrong. even if he is.....he just isnt. deal with it.

its almost like "isai is too good". i guess we will just have to learn to follow it one of these days.

no matter what you say....he will disregard the valid points you made.....and just resort to insulting/banning you

CoDe9

Smash Rookie
mod my views plz

i dont post much in these threads, but i do read a lot of them.

i remember ken stating once he admired mana for his "getting right to the point" in his posts. but lately it seems much is left unclear for everyone in this part of the smash community that was helped pioneered by some of the people above said.

if we could now have this matter resolved for us...

since mana's outburst of how much this thread is directed towards him. he should, himself, let people know what exactly hes changing(modifying) in a controller, to let, who else but the very smash community he "helped(s) bring about", feel closure on what is being questioned here. just come out with what it is your changing(modding). if it truly isnt nothing much, why make a big deal out of it?(with cursing, bannings)?

if this case with mana isnt cleared up for us, how can what is classified as a mod be fully defined if an "exception" to the rule as what is being discussed here is left unanswered?

$ick

Smash Lord
I think Petitepeche's definition of it works. Even if Mana did say what they do who's to say that's the truth. (Not accusing, just generalizing) Basically in my opinion the only way to insure there are no unfair and fair mods is to have no mods allowed.. Just stock pretty much. Even though I know after this I'll see a post about how people who bowl wear gloves or some random **** like that...

Brookman

Smash Hero
We might as well just start holding AR tournaments where falcon punches come out instantly and hit you no matter where you are. The only way to defend against it is infinite edge invincibility. Cause that would be like, fun, and it wouldn't matter if you had a modded controller. What's everyone got to say about that?

Zephyr

Smash Lord
We might as well just start holding AR tournaments where falcon punches come out instantly and hit you no matter where you are. The only way to defend against it is infinite edge invincibility. Cause that would be like, fun, and it wouldn't matter if you had a modded controller. What's everyone got to say about that?
Dude...that would be pretty freaking awesome. If it were free. :laugh:

I hope you guys recall that if Manacloud's business were legit and aboveboard, he would've told us by now because there would be no harm in doing so, right? Well, he hasn't revealed it, and if he doesn't reveal the truth in its full and uncensored form in his next post I'm just going to assume that he'll never reveal it and forever remain in contempt in the eyes of the majority of the Socal smash community. I hope he posts the truth. :(

Nezumi

Smash Journeyman
I hate to post on a thread that's gone on for so long and gone in circles but I do think it should be said:

I know how he does it, what the "mod" controllers do, why they work the way they do, and I can even make them too.
I could be like mana and charge people random crap, or even be better than him and offer to everyone for the same price.

But it's wrong. I know it's wrong, everyone knows it's wrong. Even mana knows it is.

I figure mana is smart enough to know why it's wrong and it seems he's merely trying to grasp onto what little dignity he has left after all of this commotion. If it's about money, Good job mana. You made a good chunk of cash off of a bunch of kids who wanted an edge. While they're controllers are definitely improved, due to your secret getting out in the open they are probably all now seemingly worthless.

Good job though, charging different prices depending on how you like people, and making some work better than others....well I gotta hand it to you, you deffinitely are a good businessman.

I have to laugh because who is worse? The guy making the product? Or the people who know it's wrong and buy it anyway?

All i have to say is anyone who feels they have to tamper with the natural design of the game and not take the time to practice and actually get better on their own.... well they're not gonna get far.. and even if you have a mod controller and you're in the pacific west region, Ken Hugs and DSF will probably still beat you anyway because the time they've invested in the game over time has helped them improve technically, which goes beyond any controller modifications.

So good luck to everyone.

I can't say that all of this is mana's fault because if people didn't buy from him he'd have no business going, right?
So to all the people who bought from him knowing very well what it would do, This entire thread is for you guys.

I love how even something like video games can get corrupted.
Good job for ruining a good thing!
Cheers to you.

Brookman

Smash Hero
Yea baby, yea!

UHG Why is everyoen being so dumb and assumptionizing that mana is doing something bad?!

It's like, the tin-man in Oz. If sometimes he needs Dorothy to oil him up so he works better why can't mana do the same thing to other peoples controllers? Or like, sometimes when people can't sing well they just use technology to improve their voices after they've been recorded, then they just play the recording when they sing live. Also, how about at McDonalds. Sometimes you just want a Big Mac and some fries but instead you get like, garbage, and some poop? Anyone get what I'm saying?

In response to zumi, WHAT IF EVERYONE HAD THE MODDED CONTROLLERS?!?! THNE NO ONE WOULD HAVE AN EDGE CAUSE EVERYONE'S CONTROLLERS ARE MODDED!!! How about that? Or, what if Nintendo started making controllers in the fashion that mana mods them, then what?!!

Edit// I WIN.

TheCatPhysician

Smash Ace
Also, how about at McDonalds. Sometimes you just want a Big Mac and some fries but instead you get like, garbage, and some poop? Anyone get what I'm saying?
I know, right?
In response to zumi, WHAT IF EVERYONE HAD THE MODDED CONTROLLERS?!?! THNE NO ONE WOULD HAVE AN EDGE CAUSE EVERYONE'S CONTROLLERS ARE MODDED!!! How about that? Or, what if Nintendo started making controllers in the fashion that mana mods them, then what?!!
I'd still like to know exactly what Mana's mod even does though. I tried asking M2K but all he said was it's no big deal and it's not cheating or anything. Well he said for his case it only made his broken controller the way it was before, but for regular controllers it can make them slightly better. I guess he didn't know exactly how it made them better though, either that or he just didn't say.

Nezumi, if you know what the mod does why don't you say it? Also how do you know?

Cort

Apple Head
Brookman wins the thread. Close it now.

edit 6 hours later with no one posting again// I rest my case.

Nezumi

Smash Journeyman
It's an alteration made, affecting the joystick which allows you to do alot more movement with alot less effort, eg. dash dancing, DIs, etc. all become alot easier

TheCatPhysician

Smash Ace
It's an alteration made, affecting the joystick which allows you to do alot more movement with alot less effort, eg. dash dancing, DIs, etc. all become alot easier
So does it just make it seem more broken in? Or does it change the controller more than any amount of breaking in can? Does it actually allow you to DI more than regularly possible?

1o11oo1o11

Smash Apprentice
Do any of you ever get used to the feel of your personal controller? I do, and I hate it when other people use my controller. I like, have to "rehabilitate" the controller by giving it a beating. But I have never tried fixing it.

manacloud1

Smash Champion
hmmm

Do any of you ever get used to the feel of your personal controller? I do, and I hate it when other people use my controller. I like, have to "rehabilitate" the controller by giving it a beating. But I have never tried fixing it.
lets say it breaks your favorite controller. Would fixing it be a mod? Thats what people are saying it is in here.

1o11oo1o11

Smash Apprentice
A modification is like a performance enhancing drug (steroids). Fixing it is like giving a car a tune-up. And cars need tune-ups man.

Nezumi

Smash Journeyman
the modification improves the joystick, which makes it better, beyond simply wearing it down. In fact it isn't possible to wear down your controller to where it will do this modification.
the only way to do it is to open up the controller and alter the structure, it can't be done by wearing it down over time or anything.

sephirothken

ken combo
BRoomer
the modification improves the joystick, which makes it better, beyond simply wearing it down. In fact it isn't possible to wear down your controller to where it will do this modification.
the only way to do it is to open up the controller and alter the structure, it can't be done by wearing it down over time or anything.
that's where you are wrong, my controller is proof. 5-6 years of hardcore smash, total of 3 years of my life playing straight smash where the controller is super broken in to the point where it is broken. And boy do i love it.

nublet06

Smash Lord
i think they taste like a bottle of piss. ahhahahah.

the halo guys really seemed to love them tho along with a lot of the smashers during MLG. thats what happens when they are sponsoring the events tho.

1o11oo1o11

Smash Apprentice
It isn't necessarily performance enhancing. It only keeps me awake. And excited... a little too much that is.

Dawg

Smash Apprentice
The seriousness of this topic, while completely legitimate, is pretty hilarious if you stand back and take a look at it, especially the debates over what is a mod or not(fixing the controller is a mod you opened it hurrrrrrr). I think everyone knows whats the difference between opening/cleaning a controller, making an aesthetic mod, and making a real mod. The semantics of it are ridiculous.

Black Flash

Smash Cadet
The "semantics" are made to prevent loopholes.

**** nose sanchez strikesssssssssss again.

how can you tell if someones controller is modded? You going to stand there and open every controller just to see? I win nealt u lose.
No, actually there is an efficient and quick way to check. It doesn't really matter if someone placed 45th instead of 96th from using a modded controller. But what matters more is if someone placed in the pot money with a modded controller. Only those who placed in the money should have their controllers checked immediately after the match when their placing is guaranteed. This is to prevent switching controllers before the match. Professional fighting events have drug testing after the fights and the same should be done here.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom