• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

OmegaCon, A Charlottesville Gaming and Anime... - September 27th, 2013 - Charlottesville, VA

AmKhokar

Smash Journeyman
Hey everyone,
I'm very excited to bring the SWF community great news! Since the end of last year, the Charlottesville community has been working to put together a large-scale gaming convention with everything con and we've decided to include Super Smash Bros. Brawl and Melee on the tournament roster of console games! OmegaCon will run from September 27-29, 2013 and will feature a 24 hour gaming room for the entire weekend! The Holiday Inn will also be providing discounted rates for anyone attending the con and staying at the hotel for the weekend.
**Important**
We currently have $500 + entrance fees in prize money for Smash bros. However, if enough interest is shown for Smash OmegaCon will DOUBLE the initial prize money for a total of $1000 + entrance fees. The way to show that smash will be a big part of this convention is to go to the facebook page (https://www.facebook.com/omegaconVA), like it, and post something showing interest in Smash bros! If we can assure OmegaCon that there is a significant interest in Smash Bros at the convention they will add in the extra prize money.
Date:
September 27th - 29th. 2013
Venue Location:
Holiday Inn
1901 Emmet Street North
Charlottesville, VA 22901
Tournament Format:
Round robin pools where the top players from each pool advance into a double elimination bracket.
Fees:
$10 Melee Singles
$10 Brawl Singles
$20 PER TEAM Melee Doubles
$20 PER TEAM Brawl Doubles
Prizes:
(Subject to change based on # of entrants)
60% / 30% / 10% of $500 + entry fees spread amongst Melee and Brawl doubles and singles
NOTE: If enough interest is shown by liking the OmegaCon Facebook page (https://www.facebook.com/omegaconVA) and posting interest for Smash, the initial pot will be doubled to $1000
Schedule:
TBA
Aside from SSB, OmegaCon will have a TON more to offer. Just in the console room, OmegaCon will feature an expansive roster of games including, but not limited to, titles of: Mario Kart, Mario Party, Wii Sports Olympics, Street Fighter games and more. The LAN room will be featuring a number of PC games and arcade games will be available, too! OmegaCon isn't limited just to playing and watching games, though, we'll also be hosting a costume contest on the main stage for anyone and everyone interested in showing off their epic cosplay! On top of that, we'll have live music from gaming and anime based bands!
Even with all of that, I haven't covered everything OmegaCon has to offer and I encourage everyone to keep posted on the OmegaCon FB page and website for official updates on the progress of each section of the con! Be sure to spread the word and GET HYPE!!

Arcadia157

Smash Journeyman
A couple questions:

1. I assume this tournament will be hosting both Melee and Brawl, correct? How will this affect the pot bonus? Let's pretend it will be $500 for simplicity sake. Would both games get their own $500 pot bonus or would it be split 2 ways?

2. Will the tournament be a 1 day event? I feel like it could easily be done in one day, but I'm afraid the OmegaCon people will want to split it into 2 (or 3) days in an effort to convince people to buy hotel rooms even though it's probably not even necessary for us to do so.

Arcadia157

Smash Journeyman
So before the DDoS attack, my questions were answered, and I feel like it's appropriate to bump this up so no one forgets.

1. The pot bonus is going to be split for both games. Assuming it's a $500 bonus, $250 will go to the winner of melee singles, and $250 will go to the winner of brawl singles.

2. Doubles happens on Friday (1 pm - 7 pm). Singles happens on Sunday (10 am - 6 pm). So if you're coming just for singles, make sure you get there early Sunday morning. Otherwise, post around to see if some Charlottesville locals can house you.

For venue fee, pay here: http://omegaconvention.com/registration/tickets
I recommend buying just the Saturday pass (includes Sunday) since that's when most of the smash stuff happens.

Sign up to events here: http://omegaconvention.com/events/console-gaming/smash-bros-tournament
You don't pay for any event you enter until you get to the event itself. If you bring equipment (TV, System, Game, Power Strip, etc), you can get up to $5 off entry fee (I assume the total pot won't be affected by this though?).

So with all that in mind, I hope this has a good turnout. Otherwise, I might have to win everything again.

Dang, it's almost like I'm a TO.

Son of Slobodan

Smash Cadet
looking forward to this, I'm not going to enter doubles, but I'd like to come at some point during that day just to play friendlies to practice for sunday. Hopefully there will be enough setups for non-tournament matches

Son of Slobodan

Smash Cadet
whelp couldn't actually make it cause i had too much work to do :/. Oh well was lookin forward to seeing M2K slay some nubs

Top Bottom