• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Old/Janky Stages Remade in Custom Stages

VanillaThunderbolt

Smash Rookie
3DS FC
2320-6131-6437
Hello everyone! I've been a bit of a lurker on Smashboards as well as Smash tournament streams for a while now (probably a year or so). I'm not entirely a "competitive" player per se, but I love the scene, and I love the game that's been created by the community. Because of that, I want to give back to those like me, who like a main stage, some platforms, no items or hazards, and stock matches.

Something the Wii U/3DS versions did just awful on was the amount of "legal" stages (basically any stage that won't kill you by standing still). Now, I know that Melee had a grand total of 5 (I think?) in the end, but that doesn't mean they couldn't improve on this.

I decided a while ago to recreate old stage from N64 and Melee, as well as re-do stages from Wii U that don't include transformations or stage hazards. Now that sharing custom stages is a thing, I'd love to not only share my work with everyone, but also take in suggestions for what I should do next!

I saw there was a Custom Stage Ideas forum already but I wanted this to be its own post to serve as a hub for these kinds of stages, so not including the incredibly artistic but not practical to play on stages, or stages shaped like a penis (not to hate, that **** is funny).

I plan to insert images and videos demonstrating the finer details and flaws of the stages if I can get my hands on a capture card for the Wii U. I'll probably also put a poll on this forum for what stage should be done next if it actually gets attention.

How to Download the Stages
  1. Go to the Miiverse from the Home Screen on your Gamepad.
  2. On the left hand panel, go to Activity Feed.
  3. Click Search Users in the upper right hand corner.
  4. Search for the User VanillaT (my Mii wears a Purple shirt, has glasses, and is also named Falco).
  5. View the Profile and go to the Activities Tab.
  6. Here, you will see all of my posts which should be just the stages I've uploaded. Touch the post (not the picture itself, which will just open a screenshot of the stage) and click Start.
  7. This will make you close your open software and launch Smash (even if Smash is already open), then the stage will be added to your custom stages!
List of Stages Uploaded So Far
  • Mushroom Kingdom U (v2)

- Large center hard platform with vertical edges all the way to the bottom.
    - Three small soft platforms above, two on the left and right, and the top one being more towards the left.
    - Small blast zones, both horizontal and vertical.
  • Norfair (v2)

- Small center hard platform with jagged bottom that can be rode on with jumps and recoveries.
    - Small soft platforms on the left and right getting further from the center the higher the platform is placed.
    - Center platform can be grabbed, but the others cannot (unlike the actual Norfair). Unless a change is made to the Custom Stage Builder allowing soft platforms to be grabbed, this cannot be changed.
    - Large blast zones both horizontally and vertically, however the top platforms are very close to the side and top blast zones.
  • Skyworld (v2)

- Long and narrow center hard platform that slopes down towards the left end.
    - Small hard platform to the right, off of the center of the stage.
    - Two long soft platforms above, one top center and one left.
    - No breakable platforms, however to make up for this, I wanted the center and right platforms to be grabable, while the top and left are not.
    - Small moving platform going along the bottom that travels into the blast zone. There's something similar in the actual Skyworld, and I figured it would have a Randall effect so I kept something similar.
    - Large blast zones, though the stage is fairly high so the top blast zone is closer than others.
  • Yoshi's Story (Melee) (v2)

- Medium sized hard platform with vertical edges all the way to the bottom. Edges slope a small amount on the sides.
    - Small soft platforms on the sides and top center.
    - Moving platform that goes through the sides of the stages below the edge (this was the closest thing I could make to replicate Randall)
    - Small blast zones.
  • Fountain of Dreams (Melee) (v2)

- Medium sized hard platform with a dome like shape that can be wall jumped.
    - Small soft platform on the top center.
    - Two small soft platforms moving up and down on the left and right. I tried to make the platforms alternate which one is up and which one is down as best as I could. Unless a change is made to the Custom Stage Builder allowing control over the speed that moving platforms move, if they can stop for a small duration, etc., this cannot be changed.
    - When I fixed this, I also realized the upper blast zone was way too close. It should more accurately reflect the original stage.
  • Metal Cavern (N64) (v2)

- Small hard platform with jagged top, bottom, and sides.
    - Small soft platform above the main one.
    - Large blast zones.
  • Pokémon Stadium (Melee) (v2)

- Large center hard platform with jagged sides and a center pillar going all the way down, no longer allowing movement underneath the stage (since I fixed it), as well as wall jumping on the sides.
    - Small soft platforms on the left and right hand sides.
    - Medium sized blast zones.
  • Lylat Cruise (v2)

- Large center hard platform with downward slopes at both ends of the stages
    - Three small soft platforms on the left, center and right, with the side platforms also sloping downward towards the edge of the stage.
    - No movement like the actual Lylat Cruise, but the general shape of the level does gimp some recoveries, since the edges still work like pre-patch Lylat Cruise (I may be able to fix this, still messing around with it). Consider it a "pick your poison" for now (bad edges or moving stage).
    - Medium blast zones.
  • Halberd (Sky Phase) (v2)

- Large and thin center platform with a dip in the center.- One medium soft platform in the center above the dip.[/SIZE]
    - Unlike the actual Halberd, you cannot shark through the bottom of the center platform. I thought that, given the choice of grabable or soft, choosing grabable was the right decision. This does cause for some stage gimps though, similar to Lylat Cruise.
    - Fairly large blast zones. The stage is significantly higher than others, so the top blast zone is sort of close, and the bottom is very far (this is especially good for characters like Villager, Lucario, etc.).
  • Halberd (Deck Phase) (v2)

- Large hard center platform with a dome like shape that connects to walls that can be wall jumped going all the way down (shaped like a wine glass, with a much larger center I guess).
    - Medium sized center soft platform above main stage.
    - Medium blast zones.
  • Wario Ware (v1)

- Medium Center hard platform with edges that can be wall jumped going all the way down.
    - Smaller platforms above and on the edges, getting smaller as they get closer to the top.
    - Small blast zones, especially with the top platforms.
  • Yoshi's Island (N64) (v1)

- Large hard platform angled downward towards the center. This platform is much closer to the left hand side of the stage.
    - Medium-small soft platforms angling downward toward the center of the stage high above the ground, with a third soft platform centered very high above the ground.
    - Moving platforms going up and down on a very small movement path on the left and right sides.
    - Large Blast zones, though due to where the stage sits, the left and lower blast zones are much closer than the right and top.
    - I had trouble with the spawn points on this level because of the angles of the main platforms. I may go back and redo this when I have more time.
  • Dream Land (N64) (v1)

- Large center hard platform with curved sides that can be wall jumped.
    - Small soft platforms on the left, right, and top center.
    - Large blast zones on all sides.
  • Yoshi's Island (Brawl) (v1)

- Medium center hard platfrm with jagged edges and surface.
    - Medium center soft platform on a dowards angle towards the right (couldn't get this to move, sorry :c)
    - Moving platforms on each side to attempt to reenact the original stage. I decided to keep them always at a semi-close distance, since keeping it as low as possible still allows players to land on it without dying and stall there.
    - Small blast zones on all sides.
  • Castle Seige (Phase 1) (v1)

- Small center hard platform with slight incline going up towards the right.
    - Mostly 90° vertical walls, with the exception of the small slope on the left side.
    - Small soft platforms on the left and right.
    - Small blast zones on all sides.
  • Jungle Japes (v1)

- Large center hard platform walls going straight down. The properties of the lip are similar to Lylat, where it can gimp a lot of recoveries aimed towards the underside.
    - Small hard platforms on the left and right sides of the stage.
    - All 6 edges (left and right sides of 3 hard platforms) can be grabbed.
    - Small center soft platform.
    - Medium blast zones on all sides.
  • Fourside (v1)

- This is goofy, I don't even know where to start.
    - Okay.
    - Some of the edges can't be grabbed, namely the left side of the far right platform and the higher points of the center platform.
    - Honestly I feel silly calling them platforms.
    - I almost didn't do this one because it's still jank as hell but honestly it was fun and it makes for a good break.
    - Moving platform hovering over the left "platform".
    - The space in between left and center platforms and center and right platforms can be wall jumped. Makes those spikes meteors hilarious to recover from.
Currently Working On:
  • Mushroom Kingdom II
  • Wily's Castle
  • Corneria
Again, please feel free to suggest any you would like to see, or any criticism on the stages that are already uploaded (I'm sure there's some sort of flaws, and I'd be happy to fix them when pointed out).

Last edited:

Rags

Smash Ace
Your mii is named falco, but how can we trust you? THAT AIN'T FALCO!

Jokes aside I'll share where I can, just because I can't contribute

VanillaThunderbolt

Smash Rookie
3DS FC
2320-6131-6437
Just added three more to the main post as promised! I'll probably work on more over the course of the next week. I have a couple of ideas, but definitely feel free to pitch some as well!

VanillaThunderbolt

Smash Rookie
3DS FC
2320-6131-6437
These look great guys! I'm organizing a project to bring custom stages into tournaments, and I'd like to start with Stadium, Yoshi's from Brawl and Wario Ware. I'll definitely test out those on this list. Here's the thread for my project http://smashboards.com/threads/custom-stage-project.398382
This is actually the exact kind of thing I was trying to do! (Sort of sad I didn't know it was a motion in progress already).

Yoshi's Island from N64 (with the absurd blast zone and clouds to the right) and Wario Ware were two that were on my to-do list. I was thinking that and the starting phase of Castle Siege (seriously, does anyone in tournament actually enjoy that stage for its transformations/walkoffs?). Something to keep in mind to add to the repertoire. :)

I was thinking about Yoshi's Island from Brawl as well, but I really wanted to get the tilting center platform in there (which just can't happen with Custom Stage Builder as is). With it just being a medium center soft platform above a jagged large main platform, I felt it was too similar to the deck phase of Halberd, though the side platforms and blast zones could help differentiate it.

Test out whatever you would like! Let me know any feedback you have on individual stages as well. I personally feel like the Pokémon Stadium I made is slightly inaccurate with the shape of the bottom of the stage, but these kinds of things can be hard to test.

Rabbattack

Smash Journeyman
NNID
RabbitLord443
3DS FC
1627-8463-7654
Any interest in recreating Fourside?

Also, Fountain of Dreams is misspelled as Fountain of Drams.

Oh, and one last thing. Could you recreate Wily's Castle, Yellow Devil is so annoying And Omega is boring because it takes away the moving platforms.

VanillaThunderbolt

Smash Rookie
3DS FC
2320-6131-6437
Any interest in recreating Fourside?

Also, Fountain of Dreams is misspelled as Fountain of Drams.

Oh, and one last thing. Could you recreate Wily's Castle, Yellow Devil is so annoying And Omega is boring because it takes away the moving platforms.
I'll add it to the list. I was on the fence with that and Mushroom Kingdom II because I felt there wasn't enough neutral ground (of course that's all opinion, so I can remake it for others :) ).

Fixed the spelling, thanks for that hahaha.

I'll have to study Wily's Castle some. I know some platforms move in patterns which Custom Stage Builder can't do. I'll find a good mix though. :)

Last edited:

ELITEWarri0r115

Smash Ace
If I even OWN the wii u sooner or later, I WANT ALL these stages. I miss them. btw, is there images?

VanillaThunderbolt

Smash Rookie
3DS FC
2320-6131-6437
If I even OWN the wii u sooner or later, I WANT ALL these stages. I miss them. btw, is there images?
At the time, no :( . I'm planning on getting a capture card anyway for things like streaming, keeping replays post patches, and other similar things on other platforms. When that comes in the mail, I'll make it a point to get pictures and videos of the stages in action.

Enderwoman

Smash Journeyman
Isn't that impossible? The stage cycles through various platforming gimmicks from the Megaman games which are impossible to do with the moving platforms in stage builder.

rorycosgrove

Smash Apprentice
NNID
rorycosgrove
This is actually the exact kind of thing I was trying to do! (Sort of sad I didn't know it was a motion in progress already).

Yoshi's Island from N64 (with the absurd blast zone and clouds to the right) and Wario Ware were two that were on my to-do list. I was thinking that and the starting phase of Castle Siege (seriously, does anyone in tournament actually enjoy that stage for its transformations/walkoffs?). Something to keep in mind to add to the repertoire. :)

I was thinking about Yoshi's Island from Brawl as well, but I really wanted to get the tilting center platform in there (which just can't happen with Custom Stage Builder as is). With it just being a medium center soft platform above a jagged large main platform, I felt it was too similar to the deck phase of Halberd, though the side platforms and blast zones could help differentiate it.

Test out whatever you would like! Let me know any feedback you have on individual stages as well. I personally feel like the Pokémon Stadium I made is slightly inaccurate with the shape of the bottom of the stage, but these kinds of things can be hard to test.
Awesome will do! I have alot of testing to do. Also I feel like Yoshi's brawl would be nice with a static diagonal platform, to offer some variety and some of the interesting things that happen on the original

VanillaThunderbolt

Smash Rookie
3DS FC
2320-6131-6437
Isn't that impossible? The stage cycles through various platforming gimmicks from the Megaman games which are impossible to do with the moving platforms in stage builder.
I was thinking that same thing. Stages like this are going to have to leave some aspects to imagination, but that's part of the fun too. Wily's in particular is going to be tricky though.

Rabbattack

Smash Journeyman
NNID
RabbitLord443
3DS FC
1627-8463-7654
Hmm... I can't seem to search for your ID. I assume Miiverse is region specific? :/
I have this exact same problem.
I'd imagine it to be a wall jumping Smashville with a small vertical moving platform on the side and the horizontal moving platform would be moved slightly to one side on the opposite side.

VanillaThunderbolt

Smash Rookie
3DS FC
2320-6131-6437
Hmm... I can't seem to search for your ID. I assume Miiverse is region specific? :/
Hm. In looking at my post now, I realized I don't think there's a space between Vanilla and T, so that might have been a typo on my part. I'm not entirely sure though (and not home at the moment to confirm :( )

If that doesn't work, I know you can search Falco and it should come up as well, but I know for a fact it's a lot more to sort through because there just has to be other people using that name hahaha.

That would be a huge bummer if it's region specific. I can try and look up your MiiVerse to see if that's the case. What's your MiiVerse ID?

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
Hm. In looking at my post now, I realized I don't think there's a space between Vanilla and T, so that might have been a typo on my part. I'm not entirely sure though (and not home at the moment to confirm :( )

If that doesn't work, I know you can search Falco and it should come up as well, but I know for a fact it's a lot more to sort through because there just has to be other people using that name hahaha.

That would be a huge bummer if it's region specific. I can try and look up your MiiVerse to see if that's the case. What's your MiiVerse ID?
Ah that worked! Yes it's VanillaT not Vanilla T. At least I found a mii with the name Falco included which I assume is yours.

VanillaThunderbolt

Smash Rookie
3DS FC
2320-6131-6437
Yup, that's your Mii alright. Guess I'll have a look through your stages then.
I will say that Metal Cavern, Yoshi's Story and Fountain of Dreams I've edited since posting this to actually be scale with their original designs (I had just eyeballed them before, and honestly it's not too far off), and I was just shown a cool thing to edit spawn locations that I want to do to all of these since now I know it's possible.

I plan that done (as well as a few more new stages) by Friday night, in case you're interested.

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
I will say that Metal Cavern, Yoshi's Story and Fountain of Dreams I've edited since posting this to actually be scale with their original designs (I had just eyeballed them before, and honestly it's not too far off), and I was just shown a cool thing to edit spawn locations that I want to do to all of these since now I know it's possible.

I plan that done (as well as a few more new stages) by Friday night, in case you're interested.
That's cool, I don't know if you know about this but there is also a method to make the stages near accurate to their original scale.

Here's the video if you are interested. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LBM4ef9_RuU

VanillaThunderbolt

Smash Rookie
3DS FC
2320-6131-6437
That's cool, I don't know if you know about this but there is also a method to make the stages near accurate to their original scale.

Here's the video if you are interested. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LBM4ef9_RuU
This is basically a more efficient way of doing what I was doing which was counting Marios side by side as a height/width kind of thing, how high blast zones start, etc. I like this method a lot though, so I'll probably start using that.

Thanks for the hint! :)

VanillaThunderbolt

Smash Rookie
3DS FC
2320-6131-6437
Okay so I have an update on this!
HUGE thanks to @ Smearglangelo Smearglangelo for showing me how to edit spawn locations. Because I now know this is possible, I wanted to update all of the existing stages. At the same time, some of the Melee ones needed some work, so I'm working on redoing those. Also, my capture card comes in the mail today, so I should have screenshots of the stages in this post by the end of the week. :)

Here's a list of the updates and current plans as is:

Recreated: (went back and made sure everything was scale, as well as editing spawn locations)
Metal Cavern
Yoshi's Story

Fixed Spawn Locations:
Skyworld
Mushroom Kingdom U
Norfair
Halberd Deck
Halberd Sky
Lylat Cruise

New Stage:
Wario Ware

Working on Recreating: (I need to make sure the main platforms are scale to the original)
Fountain of Dreams
Pokémon Stadium

Planned Projects:
Yoshi's Island (N64)
Yoshi's Island (Brawl)
Castle Siege (first phase)
Fourside
Mushroom Kingdom II
Wily's Castle

I'll add a lot of this to the original post as well.

Smearglangelo

Smash Journeyman
NNID
UltraKoopaTroopa
3DS FC
4124-5097-9262
Okay so I have an update on this!
HUGE thanks to @ Smearglangelo Smearglangelo for showing me how to edit spawn locations. Because I now know this is possible, I wanted to update all of the existing stages. At the same time, some of the Melee ones needed some work, so I'm working on redoing those. Also, my capture card comes in the mail today, so I should have screenshots of the stages in this post by the end of the week. :)
Glad that I could help!
I've had fun working with you on the Custom Stage Project and I can't wait to try out your stages.

VanillaThunderbolt

Smash Rookie
3DS FC
2320-6131-6437
Update!
I noticed my "fix" on Yoshi's Story also made it a decent bit smaller than it should be. That being said, I fixed that, Fountain of Dreams, and Pokémon Stadium (I was specifically going for 1, from Melee).

Got my capture card finally (2 days late, but still), so I'll try and get pictures up later today. :)

VanillaThunderbolt

Smash Rookie
3DS FC
2320-6131-6437
Update!
I noticed my "fix" on Yoshi's Story also made it a decent bit smaller than it should be. That being said, I fixed that, Fountain of Dreams, and Pokémon Stadium (I was specifically going for 1, from Melee).

Got my capture card finally (2 days late, but still), so I'll try and get pictures up later today. :)

As promised, there are now pictures!

I've also added Yoshi's Story (N64) and Dream Land (N64) (this was a pretty easy one, and I'm really surprised I hadn't thought to do it yet) to the list of available stages.

@ rorycosgrove rorycosgrove not sure if any of these stages are included in what you already have for your project, but if there's anything from the recent updates I've made that you can use please feel free!

VanillaThunderbolt

Smash Rookie
3DS FC
2320-6131-6437
Just re-uploaded all of the existing stages and added four more!

There is now the addition of:
  • Yoshi's Island (Brawl)
  • Castle Seige (Initial Phase)
  • Jungle Japes
  • Fourside (OKAY)
Sorry for the extended delay on these stages. I recently went through a very big shift change at work while moving into a new house, while also having to do a lot of commuting between states for work. I should be able to mess around with this stuff more often now.

Again, @ rorycosgrove rorycosgrove not sure if any of these stages are included in what you already have for your project, but feel free to sample!

Last edited:
Top Bottom