• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Ok, I grabbed them, NOW WHAT??

bjdavis420

Smash Journeyman
Im starting to pick up the ICs, and I really enjoy using them, but Im having problems on figuring out exactly WHAT to do once I grab an opponent. I have read through a couple guides, and watched a few videos, but Im still unclear as to what all of my best options are. Im not looking to do the infinite wobble or the freeze glitch (i want to stick to legals), im just wondering which directions are the best to throw, and what smash/the timing of that smash should I do with Nana?

I read about just using the c-stick down to both throw downwards and do dsmash with Nana, but can't you also do a d-throw->fsmash with Nana? With the d-throw to fsmash, when exactly should I smash with Nana, b/c I have seen Chu Dat (pretty sure it was him) do it, and he hits them right as they bounce off ground, instead of when they are coming back down (b/c floaty characters can DI easily away when coming back down). I have also read about the CG with using dair and fair, im working on that, but definetly not there yet.

So whats the best timing on d-throw->fsmash, and do I have any other good options besides the ones I just mentioned? Thanks

Kyu Puff

Smash Champion
There's a great video by nealdt called Avalanche (youtube) about chainthrowing. You probably want to watch it... it illustrates most things you want to know. There are plenty of options once you grab. :) The only thing is that when you use the d-throw to d-air chain, you have to SH the d-air for it to work. I believe when you d-throw to f-air it can be full jumped (although technically it's in the middle because Nana can't do a full jump by her self).

D-throw is your main throw because it enables pretty much all of the possible chains and smashes, although f-throw has a few possibilities branching from it also.

To d-throw + f-smash, simply hit down on the analog stick and as they hit the ground and start rising use the c-stick to f-smash. However, Chu Dat KO'er of choice seems to be d-throw + u-smash. (Same timing, but gets vertical kills at fair percentages.)

When Nana is dead, your best bet with Popo is either to do a simple d-throw chain, u-throw to u-air, or d-throw to smash.

pockyD

Smash Legend
the timing for dthrow->fsmash is pretty forgiving because of it's huge range. plus if you're lazy and don't want to figure it out (it's really easy, just spend 2 mins practicing, you have a HUGE window to smash) just do fthrow->fsmash instead (just flick the c-stick forward)

learning the dthrow->usmash timing is harder but far more rewarding. mainly just keep in mind that it's different for every character, so it's something you can pretty much only nail through practice

reverse dair is a good cg; i generally find that full-hopping it is easier

also, bthrow bair is really fast and can mess with their DI (along with already having pretty good knockback). once again, it's different for every character, but for space animals, just sh and flick cstick backwards to get it

uthrow->fsmash is good for sending them the other way if you don't want to bother with the bthrow->bair (uthrow is not weight dependent so the timing is consistent; also nana doesn't have to be synced as perfectly as she does for bthrow bair). the trick here is to connect with the smash before the opponent is actually thrown (the uthrow holds them up for a little bit; smash them during that)

mood4food77

Smash Hero
bthrow bair...gotta try that one out

you can do a delayed dthrow dsmash

also with the smashes, i find it's easier to charge teh smash to get the timing right (and it's more satisfying)

Binx

Smash Master
I can never seem to get the charging smashes, I usually throw on accident, not sure when I am supposed to be pretty what buttons... you charge with cstick z for it right?

Kyu Puff

Smash Champion
I can never seem to get the charging smashes, I usually throw on accident, not sure when I am supposed to be pretty what buttons... you charge with cstick z for it right?
Huh? No... you charge with control stick and a for it. :p

Jab, charge, throw. You can release the control stick and hit the direction, or you can use the c-stick.

mood4food77

Smash Hero
i don't jab first when charging, i just charge teh smash during the animation

pockyD

Smash Legend
during what animation

if you mean charge it during the actual throw, you're losing potential charge time by restricting yourself to that small window

Alexman0817

Smash Rookie
I sometimes WD nana forward than f throw than u smash with nana its not that hard when you get it

Geal

Smash Rookie
one thing i like to do is just headbutt with Popo, and down+B with Nana. it won't glitch or anything, and deals some nice extra damage.

One fun thing to do (fairly difficult to time without practice though) is to headbutt, and while you do start charging an F-smash with Nana. quickly U-throw, and as soon as you do release A to release the smash. With correct timing, it'll send the opponent behind you. This has a fair amount of knockback, and can easily mess up your opponent's DI.

Kyu Puff

Smash Champion
hey i use ics but wats the edge CG
Basically you d-throw with Popo, catch with Nana directly from the throw, and because you are near the edge she will always f-throw. Then you have to time it right, but you can recatch from her f-throw with Popo. This is an inescapable chain throw on any character, but the timing is hard, and because Popo has to move a little forward every time you'll eventually run out of space to continue.

Edit - Sorry, ignore this. I didn't see the reply in the other thread.

Top Bottom