• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Stage Discussion

Nefnoj

Smash Lord
It's the other way around. Floors don't act as ceilings: they're floors. Thus any stage with walls that extend to the bottom (GHZ, WW, etc.) or walk-offs had to be given ceilings at their bottom, so people don't come flying up from the ground.
OOoooooooh, and that's it? Time to go modding, haha! Never tried Stamina on a walk-off floor stage.

goku262002

Smash Rookie
Hey guys. I just installed Project M a few days ago and while I'm having some issues with it (which I'll post in the help section later) I'm having overall a good time with this mod, nice work on the creators.

Now a simple question, is there anyway to switch back and forth between the normal brawl stages and the Final Destination versions that project M came pre-loaded with? these FD versions are nice but I would like to play some of the normal Brawl and Meele stages and all I'm seeing is FD versions. if not, is there a way to load the normal Brawl and Meele back into Project M?

Also I'm betting theirs to way to use custom built stages in Project M correct?

Thanks for the help.

JOE!

Smash Hero
Aside from adding stamina mode collisions (which were added to most stages), Onett hasn't been touched at all in 3.5
Wait, wait, wait.... does this mean a stage from 3.0 (lets say Battlefield with our weekly's logo on it) put into 3.5 would break stamina?

Sandfall

Stage Designer
Wait, wait, wait.... does this mean a stage from 3.0 (lets say Battlefield with our weekly's logo on it) put into 3.5 would break stamina?
Nope, Battlefield should be fine. The only stages that needed these collisions are ones with walls that extend below the lower blast zone. The only thing they do is prevent you from ending up inside the stage when you wrap around to the lower part of the stage. Not really game breaking, just not something we wanted to happen.

Hey guys. I just installed Project M a few days ago and while I'm having some issues with it (which I'll post in the help section later) I'm having overall a good time with this mod, nice work on the creators.

Now a simple question, is there anyway to switch back and forth between the normal brawl stages and the Final Destination versions that project M came pre-loaded with? these FD versions are nice but I would like to play some of the normal Brawl and Meele stages and all I'm seeing is FD versions. if not, is there a way to load the normal Brawl and Meele back into Project M?

Also I'm betting theirs to way to use custom built stages in Project M correct?

Thanks for the help.
I'd go post this in the help section, this thread is for discussing different aspects of the current PM stages :p
Don't worry, it's really easy to do though.

goku262002

Smash Rookie
I'd go post this in the help section, this thread is for discussing different aspects of the current PM stages :p
Don't worry, it's really easy to do though.
Oh I thought this was a general discussion. guess I'll go and do that. thanks.

themaziest

Smash Cadet
Not a big fan of Onett in Smash, despite of my love for the Mother series. I don't know if a redesign should be considered or if it can stay as it is now.

Casually, it's not that bad but it quickly becomes tedious, notably because we know the stage since Melee and it's always the same approach between players. Can be fun but never a blast for me.

Competitively, it's currently not an option because of walls, low ceiling and obvious hazards and I don't think an overhaul could do something very interesting since you should take off all the things that make it unique.

But I do think Mother needs a competitive stage ; Onett is just not a good material for it. I already shared to Sandfall my ideal Mother's stage, which is based on the famous Battle HUD : psychedelic background with vertical moving platforms like in earthbound:

This could give freedom to designers in addition to provide a fun stage for competitive stuff. Currently, Onett is "OK!" without being stunning but I can't think of a good reason for changing it. But because of this thread I'm really eager to see full original stages from the PMDT in the future, not only minor changes.

Nefnoj

Smash Lord
Not a big fan of Onett in Smash, despite of my love for the Mother series. I don't know if a redesign should be considered or if it can stay as it is now.

Casually, it's not that bad but it quickly becomes tedious, notably because we know the stage since Melee and it's always the same approach between players. Can be fun but never a blast for me.

Competitively, it's currently not an option because of walls, low ceiling and obvious hazards and I don't think an overhaul could do something very interesting since you should take off all the things that make it unique.

But I do think Mother needs a competitive stage ; Onett is just not a good material for it. I already shared to Sandfall my ideal Mother's stage, which is based on the famous Battle HUD : psychedelic background with vertical moving platforms like in earthbound:

This could give freedom to designers in addition to provide a fun stage for competitive stuff. Currently, Onett is "OK!" without being stunning but I can't think of a good reason for changing it. But because of this thread I'm really eager to see full original stages from the PMDT in the future, not only minor changes.
As potentially the only casual on this thread, hehe... I really like this idea, I wouldn't like it as much as Onett, with or without any enhancements, but it looks like it could be a lot of fun. You could also add random stage interactions, such as random enemies each time, and make the platforms rise depending on whose turn it is. Should the box on top have collision? I think so.
Of course, all that would take a lot of work, haha.

Last edited:

GFooChombey

Smash Ace
NNID
GFooChombey
The only thing I have against this is that it's not a location per-say. Yes it's iconic, but wouldn't you rather have an actual location? Maybe something from Nowhere Islands so Lucas has a home stage.

Last edited:

Nefnoj

Smash Lord
The only thing I have against this is that it's not a location per-say. Yes it's iconic, but wouldn't you rather have an actual location? Maybe something from Nowhere Islands so Lucas has a home stage.
I like the Lucas idea... But I honestly think it's more iconic than any actual location.

They could make it a boss battle, then it'll be an actual location. LIKE WITH GIYGAS. Nobody would Brawl there out of fear.

themaziest

Smash Cadet
Actually, I think this is the most iconic and above all unique "location" for the whole series, considering this is where you spend half of the time, if not more. It could be very original by including special visual effects: hits-combo feedback like in Mother 3, "SMAAAASH!!" in the middle of the stage for each kill with a smash, random (and passive) enemies, heck we could even see Giygas in the background for the last minute of a game! The possibilities are limitless for designers if they manage to pass the technical barrier.

However it's not really the topic here ; even if I frankly don't know what else to say about Onett.

Last edited:

Xermo

Smash Champion
NNID
SSBFC-Xerom
3DS FC
4425-1998-0670
A location representing the series is much better than the battle hud regardless if it's the "location" you spend the most time in. Possibilities or not, it's quite lazy, especially if we're canning one of the more unique pieces of the Mother series for a menu. I don't see Fire Emblem replacing Siege with a black screen with hp boxes.

As for me, though I love the stage, I've since grown tired of Onett's layout. There really needs to be a competitively viable Mother stage (would prefer Saturn Valley so it reps both games).

leekslap

Smash Ace
3DS FC
2294-4978-8399
Club Titiboo would be a cool stage for Lucas. Most important thing is to have the DCMC band play in the backround, and make all the songs for the stage be rock remixes of Mother 3 songs! Plz PMDT! Well maybe not the rock remix part... That just makes it sound like something you don't beg for. Not sure how the actual stage is gonna be though. Maybe have the stage be on those metal things that come out from the ceiling? Like on Little Mac's stage? And the layout could be sort of like Smashville when the platforms go all the way to the side except it doesn't move and there's one for both sides. Or like Jungle Japes with the side platforms being fall-through and the main platform being bigger. Like this basically.

____ ____

A big -_- face
EDIT: Apparently Smashboards doesn't do word art.

Last edited:

Lakitwo

Smash Cadet
NNID
Lakitwo
I just want to throw in that I love the idea of a Giygas stage replacing Onett. In fact, I made a Giygas themed stage a long time ago. I intended to continue work on it, but it never happened, so it became a proof of concept.

JayTheUnseen

Smash Champion
How about making the houses non-solid,as in,only platforms?They could be tents instead, just a thought.

Nefnoj

Smash Lord
How about making the houses non-solid,as in,only platforms?They could be tents instead, just a thought.
I don't know if I disagree with this or not.

They could push the buildings back, make the roofs of the buildings stick out, and use those as platforms.

But then the "bdoink" of the cars zooming by is much less satisfying.

Last edited:

Sandfall

Stage Designer
Thanks for the feedback!

New stage discussion:
Here's one that received a makeover in 3.5: Distant Planet!

Last edited:

Nefnoj

Smash Lord
Thanks for the feedback!

New stage discussion:
Here's one that received a makeover in 3.5: Distant Planet!
Back in Brawl, it was my favourite.

In 3.5... It's still my favourite, even though it's so competitive now. I would like a return of the Bulborb, and I know that would be easy for Project M to do. I would also like to see the Onions return, but I'm not sure that's possible...
I think the background is painful in terms of the blurry... Whatever.
I LOVE THE DROOPY LEAVES AND IF YOU TAKE THEM OUT I WILL CRY.
It'd be REALLY cool if occasionally Pikmin enemies could float by that you could jump on.

Last edited:

JayTheUnseen

Smash Champion
Now my idea for Onett won't receive anymore feedback...:(

Anyway I love this stage. I don't like small stages and DP is a big stage that is viable.I really love it.

...Yeah I can't think what else to say :3

Last edited:

PsionicSabreur

Smash Journeyman
I don't feel like the stage adds all that much to the tourney stage list. It's okay, just nothing special. The leaves still support platform camping a bit too much, maybe adjust the rising speed or have them wait ~2 seconds before starting to rise once vacated.

One thing 3.5 introduced that I liked was the sort of semi-competitive stages that offered a new form of technical gameplay (Hanenbow and Infinite Glacier). In a similar fashion, I think reintroducing pellets to the stage would be neat, since it could introduce advanced item play to matchups where you'd never really see it otherwise, without the items involved being overwhelmingly powerful.
I don't really remember if pellets spawn or not with items set to none, but if they don't it wouldn't really interfere with the tournament viability of the stage at all to try this.

Last edited:

Lakitwo

Smash Cadet
NNID
Lakitwo
I like distant planet. The walls add something different to the stage. One thing is that bugs me about it is that the main platform looks kinda... bad compared to the rest of the stage. I think the texture is blurry or something. It just doesn't look right.

MegaMissingno

Smash Ace
NNID
missingno
I like the springy leaves, they're cool. I feel the stage as a whole is a bit too big though, could stand to be scaled down just a smidge.

GFooChombey

Smash Ace
NNID
GFooChombey
I'm excited to talk about this stage. I've always loved smashing to Pikmin music.

Allow me to start with the positives. Distant Planet (Brawl) is kind of janky, though it can be fun don't get me wrong. That entire walk-off slope with or without the water was quite annoying. This version is simpler and extremely accessible. The leaves moving give it some spice, the rain retains the nature feel, and the concept of the tree stump is quite fun. I also like seeing the bulborb in the back. Even though it's big, I love friendlies on this stage. It's wonderful to have seen SSE Jungle progress into a stage that actually represents a franchise.

Here's where I get into the negatives. The stump texture is a very underwhelming asset compared to everything else in PM. It's not ugly, it just doesn't shine as bright as the rest of the custom stuff. I would love to see that touched up in the future. There's also a slight graphical glitch with Pit's final smash. The second bulbord texture is layered above Palutena in the center background.

This stage doesn't see much competitive play. Most people consider it too big for singles, and it barely gets touched in doubles for who knows why. This raises the question of "would it be better fit for casual play?" Sort of playing off of what @ P PsionicSabreur said, this stage could be approached like Infinite Glacier which was extremely welcome in my circle of friends. That stage was accessible without distracting hazards, but definitely for casual play. Would this stage benefit from a similar treatment? What if the bulborb came on the each side of the stage every 35 seconds or so? What if the onions still landed on the leaves occasionally interrupting moves and causing turbo fun? I won't mention the rain pushing us around because I really dislike that.

If such an approach isn't considered, could I recommend adding some more detail to the background? Perhaps the onions can land in an area in the back every now and again around Olimar's ship.

MegaMissingno

Smash Ace
NNID
missingno
Even if tournaments don't often run it I still like it the way it is as a competitive-ish stage for friendlies. I don't think we need to add in hazards to completely remake it into a casual one, page 2 already has enough. If any changes are going to be made, just scale it down a smidge like I was saying, then tournaments may use it more.

Lakitwo

Smash Cadet
NNID
Lakitwo
Just thought I'd throw in that my local scene uses DP as a starter. I do however agree with MegaMissingno when he says that it should be scaled down a bit.

Player -0

Smash Hero
I think the stage looks bad as a tree stump currently (the earlier one looked better). Personally I liked the static platforms better but the leaves aren't that bad (maybe make it so they don't droop as far?). One change I would like is lowering and making the platforms more away from the stage like the old one too (can you tell I liked the old one a lot more).

Basically quick bullet points for my thoughts:
- Fix the texture for the stage; The wall and ledge definitely need some touching up on. Making the ledge a bit more outward from the wall would be interesting (like in the previous version hurr). If the ledge is a bit farther out then make it it's not too far out so that it's really hard to use in recovery (unlike the previous version hurr).
- Move the platforms down a tad and outward so they go off the stage (like the previous version hurr).
- Make the leaves not droop as much and/or take a half a second to a second to start drooping.
- Once the platforms are moved down and out make the stage a tiny bit smaller so the middle isn't a gaping chasm. Adjust the blastzones to compensate.

Also the picture on the Project M website for the stage is wrong. As well as the other HD remake stages.

mimgrim

Smash Hero
Aside from graphical updates I don't want to see the stage changed. My region uses the stage in tourneys and it's the only real big stage other then Dreamland in the legal stages. Though if the stage were to be replaced on the first row with Dracula's or Skyworld I would be fine (yea I live in a region that cares more about where the PMDT put the stages then actual viableness of a stage in competitive play).

MegaMissingno

Smash Ace
NNID
missingno
I never really understood why Dracula's got the boot. I love that stage, one of my favorites in fact.

Anyway, when I suggest shrinking it I don't mean by a lot, just a teensy smidge smaller than it currently is now. It can still be one of the bigger stages in the game while just still being slightly less big than it previously was.

Last edited:

Chevy

Smash Ace
Just fix the wall please. Stage looks great, and I love the platform layout, and the leaves, but the curvy jank wall at the bottom needs to go.

CORY

wut
BRoomer
- Make the leaves not droop as much and/or take a half a second to a second to start drooping.
this is pretty much the only thing i dislike about the stage. i don't mind the drooping, but they go SO FAR down. maybe make them angle outwards or something when they droop, if the distance just absolutely has to stay, so you can use it to set up weird edgeguards.

otherwise, i know dfw has been using it as a dreamland analogue lately. i don't mind it as the 'large stage" archetype, but it doesn't quite emulate the large blastzones of dl. that might be fine, though. they're not small, they're just not huuuuuuuuuuuge.

Soft Serve

softie
Premium
Fix the wall, get rid of the rain if possible, and it's perfect.

I'd prefer it if the tree trunk was a different shade or something as well, but that's just asthetics. It can be hard to see for some people, I've gotten complaints about the new colors + rain effects making it impossible for a few individuals to actually see what's going on.

ALSO, how much, and to who do I have to donate to get a mushroom kingdom 2 stage remake

I'm serious, PMDT please

Nefnoj

Smash Lord

I'd prefer it if the tree trunk was a different shade or something as well, but that's just asthetics. It can be hard to see for some people, I've gotten complaints about the new colors + rain effects making it impossible for a few individuals to actually see what's going on.

ALSO, how much, and to who do I have to donate to get a mushroom kingdom 2 stage remake

I'm serious, PMDT please
Oof, I like the rain.
I also like Mushroom Kingdom 2 a lot.

GFooChombey

Smash Ace
NNID
GFooChombey

I'm serious, PMDT please
Why remove the rain?

Top Bottom