• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Stage Discussion

Nefnoj

Smash Lord
For the record - I REALLY don't want a platform substitute for the barrel. As a casual, that's just really weird.
I actually love Jungle Japes, so I'd rather they don't remove it again. I'd also rather they do something fresh with the HD look. Saffron City and Hyrule Castle seem new while at the same time fitting the aesthetic.
Jungle Japes and Kongo Jungle both feel like two completely different stages as well.
In terms of aesthetic, Project M can take so many directions with it and still feel fine.

Peach's Castle 64 is a beautiful example: Where the 64 version was just a tiny castle floating in front of another castle with floating blocks, the "revamp" of it places a tiny castle in the sky, with gears, working cogs, and other aesthetics that weren't in the actual stage, they weren't even implied to be in the stage.

I - personally - hope to see a Donkey Kong 64 inspired design for Kongo Jungle, something fresh, new, but fits. Of course, I'm no designer.

TSW

Smash Rookie
Normally I just lurk here, but I've had this idea for the Kongo Jungle remake for a while now, so it seems like the right time to share it.

Disclaimer: this is probably a dumb idea...

Obviously, the barrel can't be included, but what if there was a substitute for the barrel? It's my understanding that you can't create new hazards, but you can re-purpose existing ones. So would it be possible to put it over Rumble Falls?

Halfway through the original Rumble Falls, there is a row of five spiky diamonds that launch you upwards no matter which way you hit it. What if that row of diamonds was placed underneath Kongo Jungle, moving left to right just like the old barrel? Each time a character hits the diamonds, it would propel them up towards the stage, similarly to the barrel.

Then you could add the sunset to set the mood, and maybe take the current Rumble Falls platform and make a new DK stage out of that...?

Anyways, like I said, it might be a bad idea, but I figured I would share it anyways. I would include a mock-up photo I made, but I don't see an option to upload an image directly from my computer.

Nefnoj

Smash Lord
Since Jungle Japes takes place in front of Cranky's Cabin, what if Kongo Jungle took place in front of another iconic Donkey Kong Country location, such as Funky's Flight?

It'd be especially neat if you could get TOCK KNOCK 's Funky Kong in the background to react to the fight.
It's good to know that there's someone else who like that stage, and on the PM dev team no less. It was pretty much my go to casual stage in Melee.
I like it, though I'd prefer it a bit bigger.

I like how often the discussion goes between Kongo Jungle and Jungle Japes, haha.

Last edited:

GFooChombey

Smash Ace
NNID
GFooChombey
I just want to talk about how much I love stages that you can pass through the bottom. I know the competitive scene will never accept that, but it's so satisfying to come up through the stage to start a combo. I can't wait for the HD remake and I hope its DKC themed and of course I support barrels when possible, but I'm not sure if I like the idea of just a platform moving down there.. It would likely become too campy. Imagine trying to fight a Yoshi who's setting up camp down there.

Semi-related edit:
@ Sandfall Sandfall Since we know Jungle Japes is returning, will the water function like Melee or Brawl? Or will you guys take advantage of the alt. system for both?

Last edited:

Draco_The

Smash Lord
What will happen with Metal Cavern? Will it get the original as the alternative stage or as the "underground" version thus having both versions of Mushroomy Kingdom as alternative stages? Or will it be relocated to a different slot with Mushroomy Kingdom getting back its original slot with the potential of having another scroll-based stage as its alternative stage, like a Super Mario World-themed stage?

Sorry if this was already asked.

Sandfall

Stage Designer
Semi-related edit:
@ Sandfall Sandfall Since we know Jungle Japes is returning, will the water function like Melee or Brawl? Or will you guys take advantage of the alt. system for both?
Melee water is not possible, so it will be Brawl water instead.

What will happen with Metal Cavern? Will it get the original as the alternative stage or as the "underground" version thus having both versions of Mushroomy Kingdom as alternative stages? Or will it be relocated to a different slot with Mushroomy Kingdom getting back its original slot with the potential of having another scroll-based stage as its alternative stage, like a Super Mario World-themed stage?

Sorry if this was already asked.
Metal Cavern HD will keep its slot and have metal cavern 64 as its alt.

Nefnoj

Smash Lord
Melee water is not possible, so it will be Brawl water instead.
Yaaaay, I like the Brawl water. It can be removed for the alt though, right? I, personally, would love to see Kongo Jungle from Melee as its alt, and you could possibly even include the Klap Trap that occasionally shows up since you've mastered spikey hazards, while reusing the Klap Trap model from Jungle Japes.
Oh, wait - you meant the 64 Kongo Jungle.

Normally I just lurk here, but I've had this idea for the Kongo Jungle remake for a while now, so it seems like the right time to share it.

Disclaimer: this is probably a dumb idea...

Obviously, the barrel can't be included, but what if there was a substitute for the barrel? It's my understanding that you can't create new hazards, but you can re-purpose existing ones. So would it be possible to put it over Rumble Falls?

Halfway through the original Rumble Falls, there is a row of five spiky diamonds that launch you upwards no matter which way you hit it. What if that row of diamonds was placed underneath Kongo Jungle, moving left to right just like the old barrel? Each time a character hits the diamonds, it would propel them up towards the stage, similarly to the barrel.

Then you could add the sunset to set the mood, and maybe take the current Rumble Falls platform and make a new DK stage out of that...?

Anyways, like I said, it might be a bad idea, but I figured I would share it anyways. I would include a mock-up photo I made, but I don't see an option to upload an image directly from my computer.
If it's possible to change the damage values, which I'm pretty sure the Project M team has mastered, then they could easily switch it out, maybe using a Zinger graphic. I believe they've also figured out how to create stabby hazards, as seen on the Thwomps in Bowser's Castle, so they wouldn't have to reuse the diamondy thingies methinks. This idea is really really good.

Last edited:

themaziest

Smash Cadet
It would be nice to see Squawks the Parrot in the background of the HD version in the same way we see Kaepora Gaebora in the Hyrule Field.

ThePlacidPlatypus

Smash Ace
Since there isn't much to talk about in regards to Kongo Jungle I'd like to go "off topic" and talk about something that has been on my mind lately. The thing I've been wondering about is whether or not people would like to see the return of a transforming Pokemon Stadium 2, or perhaps a more balanced version of it. I personally love the transforming portions of the original Pokemon Stadium and I feel like more balanced versions of the PS2 transformation could be a lot of fun. For example, the floaty wind effect in the flying section could go away or just be limited to a couple areas.

Now I love the non transforming version and others do too, so let's just assume that stage (Or a new stage that functions the same way) is still around somewhere.

Nefnoj

Smash Lord
Since there isn't much to talk about in regards to Kongo Jungle I'd like to go "off topic" and talk about something that has been on my mind lately. The thing I've been wondering about is whether or not people would like to see the return of a transforming Pokemon Stadium 2, or perhaps a more balanced version of it. I personally love the transforming portions of the original Pokemon Stadium and I feel like more balanced versions of the PS2 transformation could be a lot of fun. For example, the floaty wind effect in the flying section could go away or just be limited to a couple areas.

Now I love the non transforming version and others do too, so let's just assume that stage (Or a new stage that functions the same way) is still around somewhere.
Since I'm not a competitive player, I love the transforming Pokémon Stadium 2, but I don't think any transformations are necessary given that there's a casual alt for it in the first Pokémon Stadium.

It might be nice if they included transformations that only featured the platform changes though, balanced transformations like you mentioned.

Last edited:

GFooChombey

Smash Ace
NNID
GFooChombey

I'd really like to see PS2 left frozen and PS1 redone to have legal transformations like the version that was made sometime after 3.0 but never released. I vastly prefer the ledges on PS1 and enjoy transforming stages just for a change of pace. Either way, most people would still avoid transformations in tournament.

Edit: I also think PS2 needs a new name because it's no longer what it once was and I hate having to explain and justify that when I play with casual friends.

Last edited:

Akuji the Sniper

Smash Rookie
Edit: I also think PS2 needs a new name because it's no longer what it once was and I hate having to explain and justify that when I play with casual friends.
Similar to how Smash 4 has the Greek character Omega to signal an FD stage, it could be named Pokemon Stadium Theta or something. (I used Theta as an example because the symbol itself looks like a Pokeball: Θ)

Last edited:

ThePlacidPlatypus

Smash Ace
I'd really like to see PS2 left frozen and PS1 redone to have legal transformations like the version that was made sometime after 3.0 but never released. I vastly prefer the ledges on PS1 and enjoy transforming stages just for a change of pace. Either way, most people would still avoid transformations in tournament.

I like Pokemon Stadium where it is now. It's kind of a classic, so I don't want them messing it too much. As I said, I do like the transforming PS2, but I would like to see a transforming version again. There was a rumor some time ago that PS2 was going to be replaced with the area where you fought Petey in SSE, but I guess with added platforms. I kinda like the idea of that becoming the new frozen PS2 and having a transforming version back.

GFooChombey

Smash Ace
NNID
GFooChombey
I like Pokemon Stadium where it is now. It's kind of a classic, so I don't want them messing it too much. As I said, I do like the transforming PS2, but I would like to see a transforming version again. There was a rumor some time ago that PS2 was going to be replaced with the area where you fought Petey in SSE, but I guess with added platforms. I kinda like the idea of that becoming the new frozen PS2 and having a transforming version back.
I've thought about that before, but I would hate to use a slot to make a third stage with a near identical layout. Maybe if they can figure out how to make it load from SSE..

ThePlacidPlatypus

Smash Ace
I've thought about that before, but I would hate to use a slot to make a third stage with a near identical layout. Maybe if they can figure out how to make it load from SSE..
They could probably figure something out with alts and such. Maybe if they get that third page working.

Nefnoj

Smash Lord
I would love to see the first Pokémon Stadium be a bit remastered, perhaps a retexture based on the textures in the second Pokémon Stadium.

ThePlacidPlatypus

Smash Ace
I would love to see the first Pokémon Stadium be a bit remastered, perhaps a retexture based on the textures in the second Pokémon Stadium.
Yeah. PS didn't age super well in terms of graphics. Comparing it to PS2 is pretty jarring.

SunJester

Smash Ace
I just desperately need an HD remake of this stage. It is one of my favourite casual(esque) stages in the whole Smash series.

If you do anything to it, you could MAYBE lower the side platforms down a little bit, but please keep the sloped edges on the platforms and the stage, and the windmill platforms in the middle.

Also I don't really need the barrel, I wouldn't be upset if it came back but I don't miss it either.

TL;DR HD remake it please.

Sandfall

Stage Designer
Thanks for the feedback!

New stage discussion!

...but one thing first: These discussions are less about suggesting changes to the stage being discussed (though these are still appreciated), but more about seeing what aspects of the stage you guys enjoyed (or didn't enjoy) so we can have an idea on how we should go about designing future stages.

With that, let's now discuss an old favorite: Fountain of Dreams!

Last edited:

MegaMissingno

Smash Ace
NNID
missingno
The water has always bugged me, it's so much brighter than Melee. I know it's impossible to have the reflections, but is there any way to make it look less uncanny valley-ish?

Soft Serve

softie
Premium
Fountain is a good stage. Dynamic platforms make it change MU depending on placement and it encourages awareness coupled with positioning if you planned on using the stage fully to your advantage. Idk if the platforms are random or not, but if they are I think it'd be amazing if you put them on a timed cycle.

Casually it might be a bit bland? Idk

Draco_The

Smash Lord
The animated things on the background, the lower part of the stage and the moving platforms make the stage way more fun and beautiful than Stadium 2, BF and others.

The only thing I'd like to see is, of course, the reflections.

ThePlacidPlatypus

Smash Ace
Not too much to say about it. It's another Battlefield type. If you're looking for feedback for future stages I'll just say that we don't need another Battlefield variant. I do like the moving platforms, as they help mix things up.

Sandfall

Stage Designer
Fountain is a good stage. Dynamic platforms make it change MU depending on placement and it encourages awareness coupled with positioning if you planned on using the stage fully to your advantage. Idk if the platforms are random or not, but if they are I think it'd be amazing if you put them on a timed cycle.

Casually it might be a bit bland? Idk
The platforms actually are on a timed cycle, random isn't really feasible at the moment. Reflections are also pretty much impossible (and would probably lag if they were there).

Interestingly, the casual appeal for this stage doesn't seem to come from the layout, but instead, the music. A few of my friends would always want to play here just because of the song.

Last edited:

Draco_The

Smash Lord
Kirby music confirmed OP.

FoD really needs some other music tracks in the official build though. It's kinda jarring to hear Gyromite and others there.

GFooChombey

Smash Ace
NNID
GFooChombey
Not too much to say about it. It's another Battlefield type. If you're looking for feedback for future stages I'll just say that we don't need another Battlefield variant. I do like the moving platforms, as they help mix things up.
I agree with he Battlefield comment. I think that the stages we have based on it shouldn't change, but future layouts should be more unique like Distant Planet! That said, I really enjoy the moving platforms. I think that's one of the few "jank" elements allowed in competitive stages, though even that's starting to get banned...

I also like the curvature beneath the stage.

The platforms actually are on a timed cycle, random isn't really feasible at the moment. Reflections are also pretty much impossible (and would probably lag if they were there).

Interestingly, the casual appeal for this stage doesn't seem to come from the layout, but instead, the music. A few of my friends would always want to play here just because of the song.
Were they on a timer in Melee too? I haven't noticed it seeming too predictable or anything in PM. Forget reflections, but maybe tone back the brightness on the water a tad.
I agree with the music. I had a blast choosing custom music to go on that stage and I suggest everyone put Bubbly Clouds. Somehow, the 4bit sound actually works well.

Nefnoj

Smash Lord
It's pretty.

And that's about it. Add more rainbows.

Green Greens would make a cool alternate for it, though I'm unsure about how feasible that is. Will it still be going over Mario Bros.? It bothers me how unfitting the Mario Bros. music is.

Narpas_sword

fod is one of mu favourite Samus stages (usually going there after my best ones get struck)
The high ceiling is great, the top platform is perfect for Screw attack.

And teh platforms muck up Falcon players =D

Sandfall

Stage Designer
New stage discussion!

This time we'll be discussing a very... different stage: Pictochat!
Though you may not have noticed, Pictochat is slightly different in Project M than in its Brawl incarnation (some hazards/transformations were removed). How does it compare to the Brawl one? Is there anything you'd like to see changed?

Bonus question: Pictochat has a rather unique music selection. What type of stage/series do you all feel would be able to fit well with it as an alt?

Last edited:

flintconfirmed

Smash Apprentice
I never play it. I think it's weird to have a stage based off a chat room gimmick. I've always hated the stage. Which is unfortunate because Panel de Pon is an amazing game and Lip's Theme is a jam.

himemiya

Smash Lord
Just a few suggestions

Bring back the clock but modify it to have sharkable platforms

Give the winding blow one dl64 mechanics or removed altogether

It'll be nice if in dubs/ffa if someone loose all their stocks the sign says "now leaving character"

And for ****s n giggles, add a drawing of a penis :3

Nefnoj

Smash Lord
This stage is chaotic, even for the most casual of player, being myself. I think it'd be really neat if you guys either made the stage with its 27 changes become the 27 Melee stages (minus Battlefield and Final Destionation), or if you guys made it feature the cut stages from Project M. Essentially a nostalgia-fest.

Top Bottom