• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official For Glory / Online Features Discussion (/・ω・)/

skstylez

Smash Journeyman
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Lots of tidbits revealed today, which all deserved to be discussed, but probably don't need separate threads for all of them. - Shaya

Among other reveals (specifically for the WiiU version)
1. Online rankings
2. Matchmaking based upon those rankings
3. A fun mode and "try hard" (For Glory) mode.
4. No longer "anonymous" when playing without friends.
5. User management/abuse systems (temporary banning and whatnot).

And of course any other speculation/discussion on online play.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
(above post from Shaya)

Thread has been merged! Now a full online mode discussion

Wii U and 3ds version confirmed to both support online! Also, many of the features are supported online.
For Fun - Includes all stages besides FD, all items turned on, timed matches. Total wins are recorded
For Glory - No items, FD only, up to 4 players but also supports 1v1's. Win/loss is recorded. Stock/time unconfirmed
Friend match - Customizable rules, private game with friends.
All modes above will be featured in both titles, 3ds and Wii U version!

Exclusive modes
3DS: Smash Run - Collect power ups in a subspace emissary like levels to power up your stats! After 5 minutes, you battle with your collected stats. You can also customize some items to bring beforehand.
Wii U: Custom battle mode - Customize character movesets, from this we see interesting things like giant Mario fireballs and a slow armor'd DK headbutt. It seems there are trade offs, such as the big fire ball moving slower.
*Both modes will be available to play online in friend matches only. Custom battle mode not yet confirmed for 3DS.

~~~~~
update: #ForGlory is the official Hashtag !
My own thoughts/concerns

Glory mode sounds like a great addition, and it's good their finally acknowledging the competitive side of smash! However, Sakurai is either mocking us or walked right into a stereo type. That is how we only play on Final Destination. Not only do we love platforms, having no platforms gimps a lot of characters, and frankly FD only gets boring.

I propose we rally and hit up Sakurai's twitter. We need a good hashtag to start this up, i'll be making my twitter so I know nothing about this.. Smash Wii U isn't released till Winter so we still have time. Since Sakurai is open to changing stages, all he needs to do is disable stage hazards on neutral-ish stages. Megaman stage, metroid stage etc. Stages good by default are things like Battlefield & Smashville.

So, anyone up for this? =]

Edit: There has already been a start to this via reddit! Thanks d1! http://www.reddit.com/r/smashbros/comments/22k82j/d1_wants_you_all_to_retweet_this_response_to/ (retweet to @NintendoAmerica -AND- @Sora_Sakurai)
ALSO! The official Hashtag is #ForGlory. D1's stream is supporting this, so that's the way we'll go. Keep tweeting & retweet!

Last edited:

KokiriKory

BRoomer
BRoomer
NNID
kokirikory
3DS FC
2148-8224-6270
I think what he did is perfect

One could argue for platforms, but I think opinions will differ greatly enough to keep it the way he has already demonstrated.

What a great freakin' idea, Sakurai!

Last edited:

Masterphailure

Smash Cadet
We got together with D1 and tweeted out to Nintendo about perhaps adding platforms to the For Glory Mode. You should check it out if you want to support the platforms.

skstylez

Smash Journeyman
We got together with D1 and tweeted out to Nintendo about perhaps adding platforms to the For Glory Mode. You should check it out if you want to support the platforms.
I did, I edited that in. I do suggest also retweeting it to @ Sora_Sakurai as well. I'll be making a twitter and participating \o/

TheBuzzSaw

Young Link Extraordinaire
BRoomer
I am TheBuzzSaw, and I support this hashtag. 8P

Seriously, I wanted to flip a table when it was announced that For Glory would be Final Destination.

Grinch21X

Smash Apprentice
No, what the majority of competitives use is FD and they arent going to change it and theres no reason to. Play For Fun if its not your cup of tea.

TheBuzzSaw

BRoomer
No, what the majority of competitives use is FD and they arent going to change it and theres no reason to. Play For Fun if its not your cup of tea.
. . .

You're not being serious right now, are you?

TheBuzzSaw

BRoomer
No Im being extremely warm and fuzzy.
You do know that Final Destination is not played all that often competitively, right? It is certainly a staple of competitive play (a good counter pick for certain characters), but Battlefield is easily more popular these days. I've seen whole sets play on Battlefield exclusively.

skstylez

Smash Journeyman
I am TheBuzzSaw, and I support this hashtag. 8P

Seriously, I wanted to flip a table when it was announced that For Glory would be Final Destination.
What hashtag, #SaveGlory? I was asking for your guys thoughts since i'm not twitter savvy

TheBuzzSaw

BRoomer
I dunno. I just support the idea. #ForActualGlory #ForGloryThatMakesSense #ForProfit

Grinch21X

Smash Apprentice
You do know that Final Destination is not played all that often competitively, right? It is certainly a staple of competitive play (a good counter pick for certain characters), but Battlefield is easily more popular these days. I've seen whole sets play on Battlefield exclusively.
Even so, this literally is not going to change.

TheBuzzSaw

BRoomer
Even so, this literally is not going to change.
You're probably right. I just wanted to clarify that we do not live on Final Destination. I would always ban it back when banning was a thing. Today, I believe you can strike it, but that does not stop your opponent from taking you there on a counter pick.

skstylez

Smash Journeyman
I dunno. I just support the idea. #ForActualGlory #ForGloryThatMakesSense #ForProfit
Well I think they should be short and sweet like #FreeMelee and pertain to the topic. #ForActualGlory is nice but a bit long. I'm leaning more towards #SaveGlory cause it's so short and easy, but I don't care much. I'll let you guys decide, and then let's get this started ASAP! Also, retweet D1's post if you haven't already!!

TheBuzzSaw

BRoomer
I think, given the timing and relevance, simply using #ForGlory would be adequate.

salmonofdoubt

Smash Rookie
3DS FC
4957-2628-7737
Honestly, not having platforms is a mere quibble compared to the lack of stock matches for random games online. Does anyone actually play on time mode for more than a few hours, even if they are brand new to the series? The entire competitive community (and even casuals like myself) has unanimously agreed that stock is the optimal way to play smash since 1999. How could Sakurai possibly ignore this? I'm baffled.

TheBuzzSaw

BRoomer
I thought it had been established by now that Sakurai does whatever he can to aggravate this very community.

lordvaati

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-4918-2392-4599
Honestly, not having platforms is a mere quibble compared to the lack of stock matches for random games online. Does anyone actually play on time mode for more than a few hours, even if they are brand new to the series? The entire competitive community (and even casuals like myself) has unanimously agreed that stock is the optimal way to play smash since 1999. How could Sakurai possibly ignore this? I'm baffled.
He never confirmed or disconfirmed Stocks on For Glory Mode.

skstylez

Smash Journeyman
Cause items are random, which makes it very easy to have a "bad game". It would actually piss people off if they lost all their stocks and had to wait and watch. I feel the random mode should be time battle... personally. Anyway i'm getting a little off tracked here :]

Jack Kieser

Smash Champion
How about this: you want For Glory mode to be more than FD?

Add stages back into the Brawl metagame before release, and don't ban 50% of the game the day it comes out. Don't act like a stereotype and you won't be treated like one.

I mean, jesus christ, we're STILL fighting about stage selection processes NOW, how many years later? If you can't expect US to get stages right, then I don't see why should expect Sakurai to do anything else. If anything, maybe this is a wakeup call to the community.

****, he banned items for you, forcibly. Can you people do nothing but *****?

Last edited:

Raetah

Smash Journeyman
Dam this thread is full of scrubs, let me introduce myself... Im the creator of this Thread:
http://smashboards.com/threads/platforms-must-be-banned-from-competive-play.352032/
A thread that i created in order to impulse this new revolution in competive play, sadly my Thread is closed due the much thread already discussing this theme, because of that i decided to move my content here:
Today, Nintendo Direct about smash introduced the different new online modes, "For Fun" and "For Glory".

Then i realized that an incredible amount of "Competive Players" were playing wrong the whole time. This was shocking for me. Thanks to the great master Sakurai, we are finally going to polish the "Serious" playstyle in competive play, getting rid of those ANNOYING platforms. For Glory matches can only take place on Final Destination or in Final Destination forms of the other stages.

This is the Battlefield of Ultimate Hardcore Smashers:

Metagame had evolve, dont be a scrub, become a For Glory player.
Praise Final Destination!

MechaWave

Smash Champion
For Glory is balanced in the sense that it is a timed match, and 4 players can play in it possibly. Let's not forget he added matchmaking based on solo play as well for better players.

If there is an option for only 1v1 matches (I assume yes, why else would he even bother to mention it?) then I guess I can see the issue. But again, it's not stock.

I assume you can enable FD-form for other stages offline, how this will affect tourneys is a mystery at this point. This is where the trouble lies.

Last edited:

Forcerounds

Smash Journeyman
#PlayWithYourFriendsAndMakeYourOwnRules

At least Sakurai bothered to make a really fair mode for online matches.

TheBuzzSaw

BRoomer
1v1 should be supported for network reasons alone.

LancerStaff

Smash Hero
3DS FC
1504-5709-4054
I wish we could of seen the 1v1 mode...
Just thinking here, but most 1v1 stocks last more than two minutes, the usual length of a time match. Perhaps there'll be an increased timer in 1v1s? Or better yet, stocks.

Flindigo

Smash Cadet
3DS FC
1075-0735-7198
We're still very pleased with Melee. Why do you ask?
dude if nintendo released melee on the virtual console with online play you'd still probably be mad over dumb **** like not having a gamecube controller and start some kind of petition

oh wait

Hinichii.ez.™

insincere personality
NNID
hinichii
3DS FC
2423-5382-7542
I can kinda see why he might of have that idea. Japanese players used to play 1v1, FD only and no items. This was back in 07. I don't know if that practice continued or if it still goes on at all, but that could be part of the reason as to why he did what he did. I'm sure there other reasons why, I'm just throwing that out there.

I think there needs to be more variety though. Stages with platforms, small ones, stages around DL size etc would be acceptable competitive stages.

A lot of those new stages looked so dam massive, they could easily be triple the size of melee's DL. They weren't all that big, but you guys get what I'm saying.

TheBuzzSaw

BRoomer
dude if nintendo released melee on the virtual console with online play you'd still probably be mad over dumb **** like not having a gamecube controller and start some kind of petition

oh wait
Yup. I would be quite upset if a Melee re-release did not let me use a Gamecube controller. With that said, I admit I haven't tried the Wii U pro controller yet. I'm mostly just sad it is wireless only. It's an unfortunate reality where Melee just happened to get so many things right by accident. Melee is the reason I am here. Melee is the reason I have the friends I have today. Melee has had a huge impact. Forgive us if we treat it as much more than a video game. What's frustrating is that it is so easy to get a sequel right. We're not opposed to change, but we are opposed to gutting everything we loved about the game and replacing it with LOLTRIPPING.

LancerStaff

Smash Hero
3DS FC
1504-5709-4054
I can kinda see why he might of have that idea. Japanese players used to play 1v1, FD only and no items. This was back in 07. I don't know if that practice continued or if it still goes on at all, but that could be part of the reason as to why he did what he did. I'm sure there other reasons why, I'm just throwing that out there.

I think there needs to be more variety though. Stages with platforms, small ones, stages around DL size etc would be acceptable competitive stages.

A lot of those new stages looked so dam massive, they could easily be triple the size of melee's DL. They weren't all that big, but you guys get what I'm saying.
According to ssbwiki.com, Japan's official rules only had Dreamland, FD and BF, and FD,BF and Smashville legal in each game.

skstylez

Smash Journeyman
How about this: you want For Glory mode to be more than FD?

Add stages back into the Brawl metagame before release, and don't ban 50% of the game the day it comes out. Don't act like a stereotype and you won't be treated like one.

I mean, jesus christ, we're STILL fighting about stage selection processes NOW, how many years later? If you can't expect US to get stages right, then I don't see why should expect Sakurai to do anything else. If anything, maybe this is a wakeup call to the community.

****, he banned items for you, forcibly. Can you people do nothing but *****?
So we suggest one or two stages and you raise a ****storm. That's cool. You must realize.
1. Many 'competitive' players disliked brawl
2. There is NO dispute on the balanced stages such as Battlefield and Smashville. What you're talking about are stages that people may enjoy but are conflicted in balance (hazards, movements etc.)
3. "Don't act like a stereotype and you won't be treated like one". Really? Did you just stereotype me with your stereotype? Are you actually being for real?

lordvaati

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-4918-2392-4599

Having said this, an option for Battlefield as well I would be down with.

But yeah, this only applies to free play Online(not the custom Online with friends, AKA the real mode), and effects kinda nothing. Why is everyoine acting like this is offline or something? however, the option to change all stages to FD-like modes DOES raise questions, as we kinda have no reason to ban anything unless FD gets struck or something now.

Last edited:

Flindigo

Smash Cadet
3DS FC
1075-0735-7198
Yup. I would be quite upset if a Melee re-release did not let me use a Gamecube controller. With that said, I admit I haven't tried the Wii U pro controller yet. I'm mostly just sad it is wireless only. It's an unfortunate reality where Melee just happened to get so many things right by accident. Melee is the reason I am here. Melee is the reason I have the friends I have today. Melee has had a huge impact. Forgive us if we treat it as much more than a video game. What's frustrating is that it is so easy to get a sequel right. We're not opposed to change, but we are opposed to gutting everything we loved about the game and replacing it with LOLTRIPPING.
well i'm sorry that sakurai isn't catering to a bunch of nerds who loved this giant mess and actually cares about both ends of the spectrum instead of the super devoted people and do NOT give me the argument that he doesn't care about the competitive scene because that was true in brawl as you said he put in tripping just to spite us but now he cares because you cannot tell me that he put in for glory mode for anything else besides tournament players

Jack Kieser

Smash Champion
So we suggest one or two stages and you raise a ****storm. That's cool.
No. I see people posting that For Glory mode is an insult, that he's acting like a petulant 4-channer and that the only reason it's FD is because of a meme, people posting that For Glory mode is trash, and then this thread, posting that For Glory mode "needs to be saved", as though it's just so obviously worthless without... what, exactly? "One or two stages?" Which ones? Oh, so we NEVER agreed on stage lists before, and you just think that, magically, Sakurai is going to pick any stage combination, and this forum will be happy with it?

You DO realize that even adding BF screws up his whole system. Ok, there's two stages: what happens to the poor IC main who gets BF 5 ranked matches in a row, assuming it's randomly selected? If you expect them to go through the matchmaking effort to alternate stages and only match people who are at the same point in the rotation, you're insane. And, again, that's in addition to the bull**** arguing that he's going to get ANYWAY. "Why only BF? What about City and Town, it's fair!" "Why not X stage?" "Y stage is bull****, it should NEVER have been added to the rotation! >_<"

I'm not angry that people suggest things, I'm angry at people who blame the director of probably the best hype video this community has ever gotten in the decades this series has existed, and yet didn't take a second to look inwards ONCE and think that maybe WE'RE the reason that he took the safe bet and only enabled FD.

I am not surprised IN THE SLIGHTEST that For Glory only has FD. It's the smart, safe bet. And, it falls in line with us and how we play and act.

You must realize.
1. Many 'competitive' players disliked brawl
And this means absolutely jack **** in this discussion.

2. There is NO dispute on the balanced stages such as Battlefield and Smashville. What you're talking about are stages that people may enjoy but are conflicted in balance (hazards, movements etc.)
Yes, there is. Because, there STILL isn't absolute consensus about whether we should conceptualize things based on Neutral / CP/ Banned or Starter / CP / Banned, because we STILL don't even agree on whether ANY stage is "neutral" or what "neutral" even MEANS. We haven't even gotten our own **** straight, and you expect him to roll out the gate before release is even in sight, and know which other stages we would be happy with?

3. "Don't act like a stereotype and you won't be treated like one". Really? Did you just stereotype me with your stereotype? Are you actually being for real?
I'm aiming that at everyone ******** about For Glory mode as though it's A ) worthy of a Twitter campaign, or B ) seriously upset that Sakurai took the time out of his ****ing schedule to give us as much as he has, actively acknowledging us and our community through a dedicated game mode, and yet STILL aren't even close to being satisfied, or C ) actually surprised that he made the safe choice with FD. The point is that I will put PayPal money on the line right the **** now that the same people who would seriously do this Twitter thing will ban 50% of the game outright on release day without testing ****. And that's the stereotype. And it's because of those people that Sakurai made the safe choice and picked FD, I guarantee it.

Don't blame 4-chan or even Sakurai. The ONLY people we have to blame are ourselves.

Last edited:

MAtgSy

Smash Ace
I thought that the true purpose of Glory mode was to cut down on lag every way possible. The tourney style fighting is just a cover for technical problems.

DaDavid

Just Another Sword User
NNID
DaDavidEffect
Switch FC
SW-7381-1262-2246
I think until we know the new Meta, we can't know how bad this'll be.

Honestly just for general practice against randoms, this seems adequate. Thankfully this place exists for more specific matches with registered friends.

Pékaßlu

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
0147-0376-7641
Wait are we not going to be able to play on the flat versions of other stages in glory mode? D:

Top Bottom