• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Character Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Scoliosis Jones

Kept you waiting, huh?
Writing Team
NNID
ScoliosisxJones
3DS FC
1762-3194-1826
Here is what I got out of this trailer. Basically:

Little Mac already looks balanced. He appears to be a "glass cannon", Basically strong, but easy to knock out. He looks like he'll be easy to gimp.

I'm starting to think he is the retro character. While he has a link to the Wii version of Punch-Out!!, his poster picture has a direct reference to the arcade. This may just be a reference to the origin of the game and such, but there is always the possibility that I'm on crack and am completely wrong.

We may see more characters who already have a stage based on Sakurai's sneakiness.

Gunla

wow, gaming!
BRoomer
Here is what I got out of this trailer. Basically:

Little Mac already looks balanced. He appears to be a "glass cannon", Basically strong, but easy to knock out. He looks like he'll be easy to gimp.

I'm starting to think he is the retro character. While he has a link to the Wii version of Punch-Out!!, his poster picture has a direct reference to the arcade. This may just be a reference to the origin of the game and such, but there is always the possibility that I'm on crack and am completely wrong.

We may see more characters who already have a stage based on Sakurai's sneakiness.
You may have a point: Though Little Mac wasn't ever in the arcade games, so you may not. The green hair is that of "The Challenger", the character used in the Arcade Punch Out. It's likely a homage to both, the DK battle in the Wii reboot and the old arcade games. But not one by itself.

Yes to glass cannon. More Ragna-like characters.

He could be the retro. Then again, Takamaru could. I want to see Captain Rainbow, personally along with Takamaru because reunions.

Last edited:

Groose

Smash Champion

Two down, four remain. Now that we have two of them, does that bode well for the others? Have Sakurai and the development crew really been listening?

Last edited:

Louie G.

Smash Hero
@ Scoliosis Jones Scoliosis Jones
I don't believe that mac is the retro, since I also feel that Mac's reveal boosts Takamaru's chances.
Mac is a very popular and iconic character in the East. Takamaru is that, but in the West.
I could totally see Sakurai going the East vs West route with these two.

Groose

Smash Champion
Gloves? So what? Anyone could wear them! They'd even look good on me!
I know that line. I didn't even have to look at your avatar. The character who said it... would be a terrible choice for Smash.... but he's so cool it wouldn't matter.

@ Scoliosis Jones Scoliosis Jones
I don't believe that mac is the retro, since I also feel that Mac's reveal boosts Takamaru's chances.
Mac is a very popular and iconic character in the East. Takamaru is that, but in the West.
I could totally see Sakurai going the East vs West route with these two.
That was a subject of an old 2012 leak, I believe.

Last edited:

Hotfeet444

Smash Master
NNID
FeliciaFan
3DS FC
1590-5624-2529
You may have a point: Though Little Mac wasn't ever in the arcade games, so you may not. The green hair is that of "The Challenger", the character used in the Arcade Punch Out. It's likely a homage to both, the DK battle in the Wii reboot and the old arcade games. But not one by itself.

Yes to glass cannon. More Ragna-like characters.

He could be the retro. Then again, Takamaru could. I want to see Captain Rainbow, personally along with Takamaru because reunions.
Yes, and then we must have a Captain Rainbow vs. Captain N event with nothing but Mother Brain assist trophies.

Dairz

Smash Ace
I know that line. I didn't even have to look at your avatar. The character who said it... would be a terrible choice for Smash.... but he's so cool it wouldn't matter.
Yeah, they really would be. They also have no chance, so no worries.

Gunla

wow, gaming!
BRoomer
I've been doing some research on the Arena stage and came up with some interesting thoughts.

Another side on the arena stage:

If you look here, it's the blue arena, which we haven't seen since his reveal. This practically confirms it to be a simple alternate version of the stage that is retextured. So we can lay it to rest that it was some developmental version.

Pretty sure that's where I got it from.
You gotta admit, it's a good and plausible idea.
It's a highly plausible idea that was took basis with him being in UMVC3. Not too likely here.

Last edited:

Shorts

Zef Side
Premium
3DS FC
3136-6583-3704
I think the reign of randoms is over. I think the majority of the next characters revealed will be characters we've more or less been waiting for. Miis, Pac-Man, Palutena, ect.

TumblrFamous

Smash Hero
Switch FC
SW-8429-6803-3691
People said he was gonna be a boring fighter.... and look at him now, he looks SO interesting! And that video! Amazing! And for once Kirby wasn't in it!

I think this was an incredible reveal, I always supported Little Mac. Congrats to all of his supporters! I'm sure you must be happy, so bask in it! But damn, that Power Meter! Thank you Sakurai! We have one of our Elite Four in! Enter Mewtwo! Enter Ridley! Enter K. Rool! Enter Palutena!

Louie G.

Smash Hero
I think the reign of randoms is over. I think the majority of the next characters revealed will be characters we've more or less been waiting for. Miis, Pac-Man, Palutena, ect.
I sure hope so. Then I won't have to hear people rule out completely plausible and popular ideas for stupid ideas that nobody though of until the more random reveals.
(@SaturnGamer64 I'm looking at you)
Getting expected yet exciting characters like Little Mac is the best possible form of hype in my book.
Unless it's like, Banjo and Kazooie. That's unexpected and extremely hype-worthy.
I think if the whole Elite Four (and Champion) got in, the boards would just detonate.
Well take cover buddy. We're in for a ride.

Last edited:

Dairz

Smash Ace
Man, we have 23 characters confirmed so far. I'd say we have about 22 more characters until the roster is done, lets subtract the vets who are no doubt returning..
(Yoshi, Wario, Diddy, Metaknight, Ness, Lucas, Jigglpuff, Ganondorf, Cpt.Falcon, G&W, ROB, Ike, Climbers, Falco, Wolf)

We have around 7 newcomers left. Taking out the expected, (Palutena, Mii, Ridley, Pac-Man) we have three surprises as far as newcomers go. Then again, maybe I'm just full of it and we'll only get 8 newcomers or something.

Starphoenix

How Long Have I Been Asleep?
NNID
GalaxyPhoenix
3DS FC
2122-6914-9465
Probably. Although there is still bound to be a surprise somewhere.

Also, is it just me, or did it look like Little Mac had some armor on some of his attacks?

Louie G.

Smash Hero
Man, we have 23 characters confirmed so far. I'd say we have about 22 more characters until the roster is done, lets subtract the vets who are no doubt returning..
(Yoshi, Wario, Diddy, Metaknight, Ness, Lucas, Jigglpuff, Ganondorf, Cpt.Falcon, G&W, ROB, Ike, Climbers, Falco, Wolf)

We have around 7 newcomers left. Taking out the expected, (Palutena, Mii, Ridley, Pac-Man) we have three surprises as far as newcomers go. Then again, maybe I'm just full of it and we'll only get 8 newcomers or something.
48-50 characters is more plausible than 45, only 10 characters more than Brawl.
That being said you forgot Mewtwo, and K. Rool and Ridley can serve as surprises for some. There's also the obvious retro, and a FE newcomer.
So 48 is a nice number.

Starbound

Worlds Apart, But Still Together.

Two down, four remain. Now that we have two of them, does that bode well for the others? Have Sakurai and the development crew really been listening?
We need a new word to refer to the trio of K. Rool, Palutena and Ridley.

Unless we want to consider Mewtwo an elite four now. :p

Louie G.

Smash Hero
Hmm...
It's a little generic, but the Big 3 is very fitting.
Since they are all heavyweights and are known for their large size. Ridley is "Too Big", K. Rool is enormous in DK64, and Palutena is a goddess for Pete's sake.

UltimateWario

Smash Master
I would legitimately start crying.
Classic N64 designs, amazing WiiU graphics, alongside Banjo-Threeie for WiiU reveal and the original Rare team returning...

I...think that might be the best thing ever. I seriously think that might actually trump a Ridley reveal for me. Maybe.

Last edited:

Groose

Smash Champion

Unless we want to consider Mewtwo an elite four now. :p
"The Triforce."
Palutena: Wisdom
Ridley: Power
K. Rool: Kourage (it takes some serious courage to kosplay like that krok!)

I went with six when made that picture because Mega Man is every bit as big as the "Elite Four" and the "Champion" in our recent thinking.

Last edited:

TumblrFamous

Smash Hero
Switch FC
SW-8429-6803-3691
"The Triforce."
Palutena: Wisdom
Ridley: Power
K. Rool: Kourage (it takes some serious courage to kosplay like that krok!)

I went with six when made that picture because Mega Man is every bit as big as the "Elite Four" and the "Champion" in our recent thinking.
True, I enjoy the "Super Six". And we have 1/3 of it now! Who will be the next of that tier?

UltimateWario

Smash Master
Probably Palutena. She's the most obvious, anyway.

Now that Little Mac is gone (moved on up, rather), she's moved up to "shoo-in" status in my book.

Last edited:

Sehnsucht

The Marquis of Sass
BRoomer
I made a post last night presenting my roster picks, but it was lost in all the PotD/Nintendo Direct hype. You might (rightly) say that I shouldn't have posted at such a busy time, but the reason I worked on a roster and made the post was to pass the time until the Miiverse update. :awesome:

In any case, I've updated my roster to include Little Mac's official icon, and added Dixie Kong as a Diddy-Dixie tag team (rounding out the roster to 52 playable characters):

Feel free to comment/suggest alterations/etc. But before you do, I'd highly suggest that you first check out my original post in the Roster Display thread, where my comprehensive thoughts behind these choices may be found.

This may not be an original/unique/daring/surprising roster, but it does represent my ideal roster at the present time. :)

FlareHabanero

Banned via Warnings
...I'll just stay in the corner and just continue supporting the idea of Little Mac, Takamaru, and Lip together in the same game.

Gunla

wow, gaming!
BRoomer
...I'll just stay in the corner and just continue supporting the idea of Little Mac, Takamaru, and Lip together in the same game.
Captain Rainbow reunion?
Hell yes.

Well I mean, I'm sure Crashboards couldn't.
It would cause so much hype in this community...
No, an E3 like that would kill Crashboards, Miiverse and NeoGAF.

Shorts

Zef Side
Premium
3DS FC
3136-6583-3704
Also, is it just me, or did it look like Little Mac had some armor on some of his attacks?
Stupid amounts of armor.

It's so weird looking back at my polls and seeing the "top tens" of every poll. More or less you have two types of charactes who top the polls, ones that are in general, popular choices, and others who seem to have risen and then fallen within a years time. (Usually these are characters who are revealed with an announcement of a new game) New characters aren't neccisarily bound to fall out of popularity. (Honestly, most stay popular, just not EXTREMELY popular) Chrom is a prime example. Well, I just thought I'd go through my polls, and talk about the top tenners. Pretty much will just ramble about the characters, and if I think they're in or out.

Popular since Post-Brawl (Most were popular Pre-Brawl as well)
Megaman - Already revealed. At the time prior to his reveal, there was a massive debate within the community if we would get 3rd parties at all. Most said yes, some said no, and all cited the same two or three articles where Sakurai spoke on the matter. Guess I was drinking the wrong kool aid at the time. We got third parties
Mewtwo - He's In. Kind of has always been the most wanted character. Him and Megan always soared above K Rool and Ridley, who tended to soar above the rest as is.
Ridley - 50/50. And I'm being nice. Ridley has always been pretty popular. Outside of Smashboards and Reddit, not QUITE as popular, but most still pale in comparison.
King K Rool - He's Out. Kind of popular all around, unlike Ridley, who has a some detesters. He's always been a name to bring out, and prior to TF, and Villager, I would have said he's in. But, things don't seem super awesome for him atm, and we have a good amount of compeition for him. Dixie until recently was never much competition, but she definitely is now, and Cranky was always a throw away important character. Again, up until now.
Krystal - She's Out. She leads the lesser-but-still-popular choices. (Along with Mac) She eventually was surpassed by Mac, Roy, Chrom, and Palutena, but still reigns in the top 10 choices. Pretty much Star Fox isn't lookin' too hot right now, so I think she's taking a seat.
Isaac - He's Out. Along the same lines as Krystal in terms of popularity. He continues to top the charts, however with each small franchise character revealed / leaked, the worse off he looks. I think he's probably perma skipped over.
Roy - He's Out. He was sole champion of Fire Emblem prior to Chrom, Robin, and Lucina showing up. Once they did, and once FEA was released worldwide, and did fairly well, he was oust. His popularity even still is high. However, I see him falling from popularity in the next few years. Krystal, and Isaac as well, but I can see there fall more or less avoidable with a new game, unlike Roys.
Junior - So far out. Poor kid never stood a chance. He's been picking up the tail end of the top ten for a long time. Rosalina killed him.
Little Mac - Already Revealed. He's always been popular, but more recently he's become REAL popular. And look, it payed off.
Waluigi - So out. Real popular on 4chan, decently popular here. He's only on here because I know if I would have polled 4chan in the past he would have consistantly made top ten. He's as dead as Junior and Toad.

I'd like to make a small tribute to some Brawl era choices who at some point have fallen. I wouldn't consider them one hit wonders, just dying in popularity.
Toad - Pretty much confirmed out. Poor guy. He used to do so well. I think his downfall in popularity comes from a lot of things. (Not to say he isn't POPULAR, just not like he used to be) Rosalina's confirmation obviously killed him if the Peach B reveal didn't. A lot of the older gamers are cycling out, and the kids who grew up with Junior are cycling in. Not to mention Paper Mario, Waluigi, and the other various Mario choices could be skewwing his votes. His popularity could bump up again, but I've noticed it was mostly around SWF, and even here now, he's sort of dying.

Popular since being revealed (Newer / Revamped / Refurbished)
Dixie Kong - She's In. She was always popular, but usually hung out in the late teens of popularity, until the last year and a half or so. Tropical Freeze and AC really helped her out, and I think they're both big clues to her showing up in Smash.
Palutena - She's In. After Medusa was revealed to not be as important and interesting as we thought, Palutena kicked her popularity to the depths of Hades in 3 months time. KI is Sakurai's baby, he's the sole reason she is popular, and will most definitely show up in Smash 4.
Chrom 50/50 - Awakening will be the game our FE character comes from, but I'm not sure who. PROBABLY Chrom, but maybe Lucina or Robin? His popularity slowly grew, and as I branched out of SWF, I realized he was a liked character, and more popular choice for Smash than I thought.

One Hit Wonders (Characters who shoot up fast, but fall for varying reasons)
Medusa (There was a point in time where she was expected over Palutena) She did so well during the time when we didn't know anything about the game. Back when Magnus was on the same level as Palutena as well. As soon as we found out more about KIU, she plummeted.
Ghirahim Well, he didn't fall quite as hard as Medusa, but he still fell. He was destined to though, as almost all Zelda One Timers do. Besides Majora I suppose.

Last edited:

Dairz

Smash Ace
48-50 characters is more plausible than 45, only 10 characters more than Brawl.
That being said you forgot Mewtwo, and K. Rool and Ridley can serve as surprises for some. There's also the obvious retro, and a FE newcomer.
So 48 is a nice number.
Why does there have to be a FE newcomer? And some people can perceive Little Mac as a retro rep.

Louie G.

Smash Hero
Why does there have to be a FE newcomer? And some people can perceive Little Mac as a retro rep.
Mac isn't really retro anymore because Punch Out Wii. Punch Out is as retro as Star Fox or F-Zero now. So Mac is not retro.
As for a FE newcomer, Awakening was such a big game for the series that I cant imagine it not getting represented somehow.

The Real Gamer

Smash Hero
3DS FC
3437-3797-6559
I made a post last night presenting my roster picks, but it was lost in all the PotD/Nintendo Direct hype. You might (rightly) say that I shouldn't have posted at such a busy time, but the reason I worked on a roster and made the post was to pass the time until the Miiverse update. :awesome:

In any case, I've updated my roster to include Little Mac's official icon, and added Dixie Kong as a Diddy-Dixie tag team (rounding out the roster to 52 playable characters):

Feel free to comment/suggest alterations/etc. But before you do, I'd highly suggest that you first check out my original post in the Roster Display thread, where my comprehensive thoughts behind these choices may be found.

This may not be an original/unique/daring/surprising roster, but it does represent my ideal roster at the present time. :)
This is literally the perfect roster... Only thing I'd change is that I'd try to squeeze Zoroark in there somewhere since it would feel wrong for the Pokemon franchise to not receive a newcomer... I'd probably drop Robin or Ghirahim.

I'd also keep PT if I could but if Zard ends up becoming his own fighter I wouldn't be mad.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom