• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Character Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

UltimateWario

Smash Master
pacman huh well he's really the third party character with the highest chance of getting in aside from Snake of course
It's obviously Geno. How can you argue with such relevancy, importance, and popularity??

My fifth grade science teacher confirmed.
Was it a she, and was she hot? Because if she's hot, this could work. Just look at WFT.

Last edited:

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
@ Mega Bidoof Mega Bidoof
By that logic any character that exhibits some degree of uniqueness would have chances on par with characters highly important to their series, which is obviously not the case.
It wasn't just "uniqueness" that landed Rosalina her spot, the series, her increasing role in it, and her popularity also probably played some factor as well, and a supporting character from as series like Kirby can't claim to be in that same position. There's a big leap between taking from B-List Mario characters and B-List Kirby characters.

I agree her potential for being original did probably play a not-insignificant role, but that doesn't justify any character that could also bring something unique, as most characters have the capacity for some sort of originality.
Therefore claiming Rosalina strengthens Bandana Dee's chances is as arbitrary as claiming she strengthens the chances of any potentially original character, which number into the hundreds. There are many more factors for supporting characters from series lesser than Mario to overcome before they are even in the same position as Rosalina, or other Mario candidates.

Mega Bidoof

Smash Hero
NNID
Link46
3DS FC
1160-9840-1542
@ Mega Bidoof Mega Bidoof
By that logic any character that exhibits some degree of uniqueness would have chances on par with characters highly important to their series, which is obviously not the case.
It wasn't just "uniqueness" that landed Rosalina her spot, the series, her increasing role in it, and her popularity also probably played some factor as well, and a supporting character from as series like Kirby can't claim to be in that same position. There's a big leap between taking from B-List Mario characters and B-List Kirby characters.

I agree her potential for being original did probably play a not-insignificant role, but that doesn't justify any character that could also bring something unique, as most characters have the capacity for some sort of originality.
Therefore claiming Rosalina strengthens Bandana Dee's chances is as arbitrary as claiming she strengthens the chances of any potentially original character, which number into the hundreds. There are many more factors for supporting characters from series lesser than Mario to overcome before they are even in the same position as Rosalina, or other Mario candidates.
Again, I am not saying it was all uniqueness. I am saying that uniqueness played a decent role, and it seemed to make Sakurai consider whether a less-important character could get in over a more-important character, whether that decision be based on uniqueness or not.

So I am saying that uniqueness does indeed play a role in Sakurai's decisions, and that Sakurai enjoys when new things are brought to the table.

So back to Bandana Dee origins of this debate. If uniqueness does play a role in newcomer decisions (which, if I understand correctly, you said it does) than Sakurai would have at least really considered the Bandana Dee concept, since it is a popular choice that has a spear, which would bring in interesting gameplay aspects.

Though there is always the possibility Sakurai found another spear-user that none of us are thinking of.

I do not find that joke funny :'(
Nobody does on this thread.

Last edited:

UltimateWario

Smash Master
You people and your lack of humor-have disgust me.

So let's stop talking about this bull**** and get down to the nitty-gritty.

I want to see legitimate footholds that Lip has over Takamaru. I'm tired of being in the dark on this one. From an unbiased point of view, it seems like the idea of Banjo getting in over Sonic.

Last edited:

Scoliosis Jones

Kept you waiting, huh?
Writing Team
NNID
ScoliosisxJones
3DS FC
1762-3194-1826
Lets not make too many terrible jokes here. That died with the Roster Prediction Discussion Thread...

...sobs in corner :cry:

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
So back to Bandana Dee origins of this debate. If uniqueness does play a role in newcomer decisions (which, if I understand correctly, you said it does) than Sakurai would have at least really considered the Bandana Dee concept, since it is a popular choice that has a spear, which would bring in interesting gameplay aspects.

Though there is always the possibility Sakurai found another spear-user that none of us are thinking of.
That's implying the number of unique possible characters were so limited Sakurai would actually be able to consider them all. I think people are underestimating how how expansive "unique" goes, literally hundreds of characters could be unique. Saying Sakurai focused on a specific one of those characters simply (or primarily) because they were unique is a bit short-sighted, there are obviously many other factors which together culminate into Sakurai's attention (not to mention Bandana Dee isn't actually a particularly popular choice).

This is also assuming Sakurai for some reason was particularly invested in getting a spear-wielder. I'd guess it's the other way around, first the character, then what they can bring. Otherwise we wouldn't have ended up with the most important characters from the most important series so far.

Louie G.

Smash Hero
Here's a joke:
SECOND YOSHI REP
-gif removed-

But to stay on topic I feel that Takamaru has many noticeable legs up on Lip.

Last edited:

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
He originated in Nintendo Power, an officially licensed Nintendo magazine.

I am fully aware of Rosalina's importance to the Mario series. I am using her inclusion as an example in justifying Bandana Dee (and more specifically the point that uniqueness just as big of a factor as importance to one's own series is) since Rosalina had many other Mario newcomers that have had a bigger role and are more important to the Mario series than she is.

Toad didn't have any new to bring, but he was arguably the most important Mario character after the main 4.

Waluigi could have brought in anew sports related moveset, and could also represent the very successful Mario spin-offs which would be decent.

Bowser Jr. has been in almost every single Mario game since his debut, and could have brought something new with his paintbrush, which would be pretty awesome.

But in the end Sakurai chose Rosalina & Luma over all of these characters, probably because she brought a completely new and different play style with Luma with her.
(Though it could have been him trying to shove Rosalina down the audience's throat like Scoliosis said, though I think it is the uniqueness).

Even though she is popular, other characters were more important than her. And in the end, she got in over them, most likely because of the uniqueness factor, though we need to see more newcomers before we can really establish this point.
To the bolded, Toad could have gotten a moveset based off New Super Mario Bros. games... it isn't like Mario and Luigi were going to get new special moves like shooting iceballs and propelling upward anyway...

Iceball (Ice Flower) - freezing enemies into blocks of ice so Toad can pick them up and carry them off-stage (B)

Propeller Helmet (Propeller Mushroom) - vertical recovery (Up+B)

Hit-and-Run (Golden Mushroom from NSMB2) - horizontal recovery / a high-speed tackle like how mushrooms work in Mario Kart games (Side+B)

Pick-Up (from original SMB2) - grabs enemies and carries them / can grab enemies in the air (Down+B)

That's different, at least compared to Toon Link... it isn't like Mario's nor Luigi's nor Peach's moves... even if it isn't too unique like Rosalina's... not all newcomers have to have highly technical and bizarrely complicated movesets like Rosalina and Villager. To me, unique = not even a semi-clone.

Morbi

Scavenger
Its not mine so I don't care.

Why don't we talk about, uh, Little Mac! That's always fun!
I don't know; if I recall correctly, Sakurai asserted that fighting game characters wouldn't be included in this fighting game (that is simply absurd). He prefers to add women, children, and defenseless animals. Little Mac is not female, he might be little (but he isn't a prepubescent child) and lastly I have discerned that he is not a cute and cuddly woodland creature. So his chances are looking bad... if only his series had guns that he wouldn't be allowed to use... and it might have helped if he wasn't Nintendo either... :urg:

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
Dang it.
Not even one? I picked a SMALL gif so it didn't interfere with the thread.
If the gif isn't specifically related and relevant to the topic, as it wasn't, liable to derail the thread or encourage more of those type of posts, it's better off not posted.

Mega Bidoof

Smash Hero
NNID
Link46
3DS FC
1160-9840-1542
That's implying the number of unique possible characters were so limited Sakurai would actually be able to consider them all. I think people are underestimating how how expansive "unique" goes, literally hundreds of characters could be unique. Saying Sakurai focused on a specific one of those characters simply (or primarily) because they were unique is a bit short-sighted, there are obviously many other factors which together culminate into Sakurai's attention (not to mention Bandana Dee isn't actually a particularly popular choice).

This is also assuming Sakurai for some reason was particularly invested in getting a spear-wielder. I'd guess it's the other way around, first the character, then what they can bring. Otherwise we wouldn't have ended up with the most important characters from the most important series so far.
The bolded is basically my opinions summed up in one sentence.

Sakurai had to consider Bandana Dee, and then also realize that Smash doesn't have a spear-user.

He doesn't focus on ALL of the unique characters, but only the ones that make sense as additions. Bandana Dee is a Kirby newcomer that makes sense, and would bring something new, thus Sakurai would have had to at least consider.
Whether he actually chose to add him is beyond all of us, at least for now.

Starcutter

Resident Beedrill
NNID
Legendofrob1
3DS FC
1908-0357-9077
If the gif isn't specifically related and relevant to the topic, as it wasn't, liable to derail the thread or encourage more of those type of posts, it's better off not posted.
Not even a phoenix wright gif? *flips table*
I don't know; if I recall correctly, Sakurai asserted that fighting game characters wouldn't be included in this fighting game (that is simply absurd). He prefers to add women, children, and defenseless animals. Little Mac is not female, he might be little (but he isn't a prepubescent child) and lastly I have discerned that he is not a cute and cuddly woodland creature. So his chances are looking bad... if only his series had guns that he wouldn't be allowed to use... and it might have helped if he wasn't Nintendo either... :urg:
That's a joke, right?

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
The bolded is basically my opinions summed up in one sentence.

Sakurai had to consider Bandana Dee, and then also realize that Smash doesn't have a spear-user.

He doesn't focus on ALL of the unique characters, but only the ones that make sense as additions. Bandana Dee is a Kirby newcomer that makes sense, and would bring something new, thus Sakurai would have had to at least consider.
Whether he actually chose to add him is beyond all of us, at least for now.
Yes, but why would he consider Bandana Dee in the first place when previously the characters he's considered have all been of an importance/notability/popularity level much higher than him? Uniqueness can't be the only reason, uniqueness is a quality many many characters have.

This is also assuming Sakurai feels Kirby should have another newcomer, when Bandana Dee is a supporting relatively minor character in the series at best, certainly not on par with any previous original Smash characters or Kirby additions. Having a spear most likely won't be able to compensate for the rest of his shortcomings. Sakurai has shown no precedent of adding characters once series already have their main cast included with the sole exception of the largest series.

Morbi

Scavenger
@ Morbi Morbi
How many times do I have to explain that Punch Out is NOT ACTUALLY A FIGHTING GAME.
I apologize, I should have phrased it as, "a character that actually knows how to fight."

I don't know, the term "fighting game" is somewhat subjective as it is. I was just speaking broadly, many do not find Smash to be a fighting game.

Not even a phoenix wright gif? *flips table*

That's a joke, right?
No, we aren't allowed to joke on this thread. That being said, I don't find him too likely as he isn't really your ideal candidate. He lacks the reproductive organ necessary to be unique, he isn't young enough anymore, and he is human. So his chances are shot. :awesome:

Yes, a joke.

Last edited:

Kenith

Overkill Sarcasm
The Fabulous Friendly Super Sparkle Train
NNID
RipoffmanXKTG
3DS FC
4210-4224-9442
When N30N said jokes are too fun for the thread, she literally meant, don't have fun.
I was tempted to say "you can't say that."

If he finds a spear user unique enough to be added as the 4th Kirby character, then he will.
Otherwise I don't think just his spear is enough.
Hey, I know a spear user...Chrom.

Starcutter

Resident Beedrill
NNID
Legendofrob1
3DS FC
1908-0357-9077
Sorry for the double post, I swear that legendofrob posted above me.
I did but it got deleted because it "wasn't substantial enough to be a post" or something. Weird, considering I think I got my point across that I disagreed.

Kenith

Overkill Sarcasm
The Fabulous Friendly Super Sparkle Train
NNID
RipoffmanXKTG
3DS FC
4210-4224-9442
I found one.

Look at that guy. He is practically born for Smash Bros. Look how freaking ready to go he is. You don't know how hype that Toad is. He is the best spear-using Toad in the universe, he's so awesome he doesn't need a shield, he just freaking wields a Princess birthday party plate.

Green Spear Toad for Smash 4.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom