• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Character Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
After all is said and done, how many characters does everyone think are going to be kept under wraps until we buy the game to unlock said characters?
None, cause leaks. Someone will get their hands on the game at least the week before release.
I think Sakurai will try to keep three to six newcomers officially hidden until release though.

Joe D.

Smash Ace
NNID
NeroSnare
3DS FC
2552-1665-5337
  1. None, cause leaks. Someone will get their hands on the game at least the week before release.
    I think Sakurai will try to keep three to six newcomers officially hidden until release though.
    ...and on that note, i'll be sure to not go on the internet for a week prior. Thanks for the heads up, Neon!

Scamper52596

Smash Lord
Premium
None, cause leaks. Someone will get their hands on the game at least the week before release.
That thought has already crossed my mind. I've actually been debating whether or not I want to keep the hidden characters a secret to myself when the full roster does inevitably get leaked.

The Black mage

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
2492-4215-1228
I'd like him to keep some hidden actually. I can remember fondly that when I first played Super Smash Bros. Melee, Just about every character I unlocked really delivered a surprise. I was like, "Oh my god, who is THAT?" when I got around to challenging an unlockable character. In Super Smash Bros. Brawl, it just did not have the same effect, due to me constantly lurking the Super Smash Bros. Dojo.
And the fact getting them was way too easy.
So this might as well be a welcome change, to keep some characters reveals from the public until the game is released.

Scoliosis Jones

Kept you waiting, huh?
Writing Team
NNID
ScoliosisxJones
3DS FC
1762-3194-1826
Umm the only thing we know for sure that sakurai knows is that we have reached the limits of what is feasible given balancing issues. I'm not exactly sure how the passage of time affects the reality that more characters equals exponentially difficult balancing issues, so unless there is something to indicate sakurai has thrown up his hands with game balance, your guess on roster size seems over inflated and based more firmly in hope than evidence.
He said that before Namco even joined the project. Now he has the best of the best on his team, which is now bigger AND better than it was for Brawl.

It's really not what it sounds like. I thought the same thing when I first read that article, but since then, it has become apparent that that wouldn't make any sense for that to happen.

It's going to be a solid roster. There isn't anything to worry about.

Autumn ♫

I'm terrible with these Custom Titles.
Hey guys, I was wondering what you all would think about having Grovile as our Pokemon Mystery Dungeon character. He'd do a great job doing that along with giving us a Grass starter and possibly representing the Hoenn remake if we get one.

The Black mage

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
2492-4215-1228
Hey guys, I was wondering what you all would think about having Grovile as our Pokemon Mystery Dungeon character. He'd do a great job doing that along with giving us a Grass starter and possibly representing the Hoenn remake if we get one.
As much as I like Grovyle as a character in Pokémon mystery dungeon, I don't think he as much of a chance in making an appearance.
But, considering Sakurai threw in a lot of characters we would not even expect into Super Smash Bros, this is still possible, but not likely.

TumblrFamous

Smash Hero
Switch FC
SW-8429-6803-3691
Umm the only thing we know for sure that sakurai knows is that we have reached the limits of what is feasible given balancing issues. I'm not exactly sure how the passage of time affects the reality that more characters equals exponentially difficult balancing issues, so unless there is something to indicate sakurai has thrown up his hands with game balance, your guess on roster size seems over inflated and based more firmly in hope than evidence.
The passage of time = having second thoughts... and what Old Man Jones said.

Last edited:

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
If he would include the Treecko line, I would wager it would probably be Sceptile but eh... Any more surprises in terms of Pokemon and the internet will lose their minds.... Even more....

Scoliosis Jones

Kept you waiting, huh?
Writing Team
NNID
ScoliosisxJones
3DS FC
1762-3194-1826
Mewtwo still has a real good chance of getting in. I honestly won't care at this point, because Greninja looks pretty awesome if I do say so myself.

We've gotten 2 Pokemon newcomers per game, and two Pokemon cuts per game. Mewtwo was planned for all 3 Smash Bros games (yes, even from the beginning). He is immensely popular in both the Smash Bros community (#1 overall pick by popularity) and in the Pokemon community. Overall, he is a solid pick.

Sakurai has never attempted to represent all Generations of Pokemon, most likely because the Generation One Pokemon characters are the most iconic, and have maintained their popularity, Mewtwo especially.

Considering he is a veteran, he is still potentially in the game, despite the latest leaks. He still has a chance. Greninja hardly effects him.

Shroob

Sup?
Mewtwo still has a real good chance of getting in. I honestly won't care at this point, because Greninja looks pretty awesome if I do say so myself.

We've gotten 2 Pokemon newcomers per game, and two Pokemon cuts per game. Mewtwo was planned for all 3 Smash Bros games (yes, even from the beginning). He is immensely popular in both the Smash Bros community (#1 overall pick by popularity) and in the Pokemon community. Overall, he is a solid pick.

Sakurai has never attempted to represent all Generations of Pokemon, most likely because the Generation One Pokemon characters are the most iconic, and have maintained their popularity, Mewtwo especially.

Considering he is a veteran, he is still potentially in the game, despite the latest leaks. He still has a chance. Greninja hardly effects him.
And what about Puff?

Scoliosis Jones

Kept you waiting, huh?
Writing Team
NNID
ScoliosisxJones
3DS FC
1762-3194-1826
And what about Puff?
Puff? She should be fine as well. She's an easy to develop character, and was in Brawl even with a 6 Pokemon roster.

However, she was 2nd lowest on the Totem Pole (after Mewtwo as far as Pokemon goes). Whether it was because of the ease of her development or something more, we can't possibly know, but Jigglypuff hasn't been as popular as she was at her peak, which was around the time 64 came out. She isn't nearly as popular now.

I would say she has chances to be cut, but that might be because I'd take Mewtwo over her. But we'll have to wait and see.

Shroob

Sup?
Puff? She should be fine as well. She's an easy to develop character, and was in Brawl even with a 6 Pokemon roster.

However, she was 2nd lowest on the Totem Pole (after Mewtwo as far as Pokemon goes). Whether it was because of the ease of her development or something more, we can't possibly know, but Jigglypuff hasn't been as popular as she was at her peak, which was around the time 64 came out. She isn't nearly as popular now.

I would say she has chances to be cut, but that might be because I'd take Mewtwo over her. But we'll have to wait and see.
I'd say she is technically 'relevant' if only due to fairy typing nowadays. Yes, we didn't get a dark or steel type back for Melee, but times change. Unlike back then, the new type was arguably one of the most heavily promoted new features of the game and Puff was one of the first to be shown to have it along with Marill, Sylveon and Gardevoir.

Andinus

Smash Journeyman
NNID
kyonyuudaisuki
He said that before Namco even joined the project. Now he has the best of the best on his team, which is now bigger AND better than it was for Brawl.

It's really not what it sounds like. I thought the same thing when I first read that article, but since then, it has become apparent that that wouldn't make any sense for that to happen.

It's going to be a solid roster. There isn't anything to worry about.
I'm still not convinced that a bigger team will somehow impact how difficult it is to balance a game when the fantasy roster keeps sailing higher and higher. I think we are looking at exponential difficulty here if sakurai stays true to balancing issues, and adding some extra staff isn't going to change that. Look, I'm all for a bigger roster, I just don't have a reason to believe its gonna happen, anyway, we are going to know in a few months, and if I'm right, opposers are going to get I told you sos. And if I'm wrong... Then good!

Shroob

Sup?
New topic: Who would would you honestly rather have, the long awaited, demanded Mewtwo or the nostalgic, 3-time veteran Jigglypuff?
To me? Puff. I don't see any reason to kick out a long standing veteran for someone who was cut once already. As much flak as that'll get me, I'd take Puff over Mewtwo anyday.

TumblrFamous

Smash Hero
Switch FC
SW-8429-6803-3691
I'm still not convinced that a bigger team will somehow impact how difficult it is to balance a game when the fantasy roster keeps sailing higher and higher. I think we are looking at exponential difficulty here if sakurai stays true to balancing issues, and adding some extra staff isn't going to change that. Look, I'm all for a bigger roster, I just don't have a reason to believe its gonna happen, anyway, we are going to know in a few months, and if I'm right, opposers are going to get I told you sos. And if I'm wrong... Then good!
How would a bigger team that has extensive history with fighting games and balancing have little to no impact on the game?

The Black mage

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
2492-4215-1228

Without Jigglypuff, I'd say that Little mac is probably going to be very hard to deal with in matches. Jigglypuff has the better, if not the best aerial attack arsenal in SSB, which is something Little mac lacks. If anything, I'd say keep her (Or him?) in.

False Sense

Ad Astra Per Aspera
NNID
FalseSense
3DS FC
3368-2599-3209
New topic: Who would would you honestly rather have, the long awaited, demanded Mewtwo or the nostalgic, 3-time veteran Jigglypuff?
Personally, while I really want to have both in, I'd take Mewtwo. He's just more popular and really more deserving overall than Jigglypuff. Again, I think they should both be in, but if it had to come down to one or the other...

BluePikmin11

Akko is my dear daughter!
NNID
blue
Little bit of both. If you're asking because of Geno, he's on my 50 slot wish roster too. (My more realistic one)
Personally, the choices that should be removed would be Geno, Waddle Dee, Vaati, and whatever 1 or 2 veterans (or newcomers) you wish to cut. :p

Geno won't be in! He's owned by Square Enix!
And because he's owned by Square Enix stops his inclusion because?

Last edited:

EmceeEspio

Not the Break Man
NNID
captainlucario
*See's it has Vaati*
10000000000000000000000/10
I wanna like this post 10000000000000000000000 times.

Geno won't be in! He's owned by Square Enix!
Honestly, I really don't think this is much of an issue. If anything, I'd consider his lack of appearance in Mario x SE games more detrimental.

CatRaccoonBL

You can do it!
NNID
RaccoonBL
3DS FC
2294-4606-0767
http://smashboards.com/threads/official-character-discussion-thread.347464/page-464#post-16605157
Hotfeet. You see ^This link? This is the post I keep referring to when I say you are ignoring me. This is the post I keep referring to when I say I want answers.

Back to the arguments you both presented. The first problem is how is Jigglypuff competition Mewtwo and Wario? Of course she would get after them! Of course Mewtwo is getting in.

In fact, the main problem with both your arguments is that you both understand that Jigglypuff is not untouchable, but at the same time seem to think Jigglypuff is the first to go...

Yes, you are indeed correct Jigglypuff is touchable. But the question is, when would she get touch? All those arguments present to you, whether it be the original 12, she is easy to develop, or my arguments in the link, prove that at the very least she won't be he first to go. Which is really, for starters, all she needs.

However, even with that said, she STILL wouldn't be cut as early as you think. That all has to with how Sakurai thinks about cutting characters. Like I mentioned in the post you ignored, Sakurai knows that each character has a certain set of fans. Despite the fact that Jigglypuff has a decently sized hatebase, when it comes to Jigglypuff's fanbase, a lot of people are attached to her. Even outside of Jigglypuff fanbase, there would be people who would be sad to see her go.

This is important because Jigglypuff has three games worth of attachment. Three games spanning many years, getting people so used to Jigglypuff in smash.

Let's compare something. How exactly do you think the pain of Jigglypuff leaving compare to one of the added brawl characters? The pain of Jigglypuff leaving would probably be worse then one of brawl's character s leaving. It would hurt even more considering we just lost Squirtle, Ivysaur, and Pokemon trainer.

Which brings to the next point, why another Pokemon character? I mean clearly Sakurai is going all out when it comes to Pokemon so why would he want that fanbase to feel the most pain? I mean, why not have 6 total pokemon characters? After all, Pokemon is a pretty big franchise. Seems reasonable enough.

Then back to the whole easily develop part. While not the biggest thing in the world, if we were at the final stretch, and Sakurai had to choose between cutting one character or Jigglypuff, it probably wouldn't be Jigglypuff so Sakurai wouldn't have to risk a delay.

So with, all the arguments I made in the link above, the fact that Sakurai doesn't seem like the kind of guy to cut a character people have spent so many years to getting attached to so easily, the fact there is barely a need to cut more Pokemon characters, her fanbase, and being easy to develop, if we were to say the bare minimal number of character before Jigglypuff is probably going to be considered being cut, that would probably be 3 more cuts before Jigglypuff. Thats considering the worst of the worst.

But now tell me. When Sakurai has been working on this game longer than brawl, when there is no brawl dojo or subspace to distract him, when he has a bigger team working with him now, why would we even have 5 cut characters total to begin with? Why would we even get one more cut?, (besides the questionable nature of Snake).

In conclusion, yes, Jigglypuff is touchable. But the reason why so many people, (or I at least), believe she will make it the next Smash is because by time Jigglypuff is even consider to be on the Chopping block, we would already have had an unbelievable amount of cuts.

Phew, that was such a massive post compared to my usual that I might've missed something. If you still see a problem, I'm still game to debate. :3

Gunla

wow, gaming!
BRoomer
4th Option, because 3 is Captain Falcon.
Because we can still get both.

Last edited:

Gunla

wow, gaming!
BRoomer
Read my status.
I'm gonna make sure that if someone's arguing logically for Mewtwo, at least one of them will be me, I'm not giving in at all and taking every sort of evidence.

Jiggs is still cool though.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom