• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Character Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mega Bidoof

Smash Hero
NNID
Link46
3DS FC
1160-9840-1542
Ooh look! Rosters!

Here is mine newly updated roster! (Geez, I seem to be updating it every day.)

Mega Bidoof's SSB4 Prediction Roster!

2/8/14

52 Slots. 57 Characters (not counting same-time fighters like Ice Climbers and Chrom & Lucina)

Explanations:

- Large Roster Size: We don't know what Sakurai is thinking size-wise, so there is no basis on what is too small or too large.

*Lack of Newcomer for Certain Series':
[collapse=Lack of Newcomer for Certain Series' Explanation]
-Yoshi & Wario Series': The only reason I didn't add newcomer to these series is just because Mario has a newcomer and Donkey Kong does too. If I added a Yoshi or Wario newcomer it wouldn't be kind of Mario overkill. I also didn't have enough room, and some other series would have deserved a newcomer before them if I had more room.
-If I added them, they would be Kamek and Mona. Or Birdo and Waluigi if they counted as Yoshi and Wario characters.

-Kirby Series: The only real reason I didn't add one is because there isn't enough room on the roster without it getting to big. If I had one more space, I would have to add Bandana Dee. Bandana Dee just seems the most likely, especially with Dedede's "Waddle Dee Throw" not being shown, which @ ????????????? ????????????? pointed out in his Dedede Dojo update video.
-If I added one, it would be Bandana Dee.

-Pikmin Series: It just doesn't seem necessary to have a newcomer from this series. Nobody would really bring anything new to the table, unless it was an enemy like Plasm Wraith.
-If I added one, it would be The Drake's Crew.

-Mother/Earthbound Series: Mother is such a small series (though it is a beautiful and awesome series) that it doesn't really need another newcomer. Maybe in SSB5, but for now it would be weird to give it more characters than Metroid and F-Zero, and the same amount as Kirby and Donkey Kong.
-If I added one, it would be Porky Minch.

-Starfox Series: Kind of like Mother, it doesn't seem necessary. It doesn't need a newcomer this time around. It would kind of over represent the series, and it is fine with 3 characters for now.
-If I added one, it would be Krystal.

[/collapse]

*Newcomers:

[collapse=Newcomer Explanation]
- Diddy & Dixie tag-team: Sakurai allegedly wanted to implement this idea in Brawl but couldn't due to time constraints. Why wouldn't he do it now?

-King K. Rool: He is one of the most wanted Smash 4 characters, and is the main villain of the Donkey Kong series, which is the only one of the main 4 Nintendo franchises that doesn't have a villain in it yet (Mewtwo is returning as a "villain" for Pokémon).

-Tingle: Sakurai seems to be looking for more unique newcomers this time around, and Tingle fits that bill for a Zelda newcomer! He is also a recurring role, and only competes with Impa in terms of importance. He is the Zelda newcomer makes the most sense in my opinions.

-Ridley: Almost everyone wants him. Ridley = not too big.

-Palutena: There was that leak that Sakurai indirectly acknowledged in a later "Pic of the Day" when he posted a picture of a Palutena statue. Whether or not the leak is true, Palutena makes sense as a newcomer. Kid Icarus was treated as a main Nintendo series in the trailer along the likes of Kirby and Pokémon, and I think it deserves a newcomer.

-Mewtwo: He is basically shoe-in. You could say his chances are lowered due to Lucario's return, but the fact that Sakurai is making Lucario different means that he could be differentiating him from what he is planning for Mewtwo. Not to mention Mewtwo is really wanted among the Smash fan-base, and was a poster child for X and Y.

-Chrom & Lucina: Since Chrom was the main protagonist of Fire Emblem Awakening, and Awakening was a VERY big game for the Fire Emblem series, Chrom deserves a spot on the roster. But since a lot of people are arguing that Chrom would be too similar to Marth or Ike, he should be on an Ice Climbers-like team with Lucina (another character from Awakening). Being a two character team of swordsman, with one being heavy and strong, and one being fast, light, and quick, would bring a unique play style to the table for a character who is constantly called generic and too similar. Though he could also be on a team with Robin, your avatar from Awakening, who could use magic with him too. I would take either one, though I prefer a Lucina team.

- Samurai Goroh: I feel that F-Zero deserves a newcomer, despite it being a "dead" series. All of the other series from Smash 64 got newcomers for their series (Samus got Zero-Suit which technically is a newcomer). If Earthbound can have 2 characters (don't get me wrong, I love Earthbound, it's my favorite game of all time), then F-Zero can. As for why I chose Goroh, I feel he can bring more to the table and is arguably more important than Black Shadow. Goroh can have Electricity-based moves (since his vehicle is called "The Stingray." Though Black Shadow would be cool in taking Ganondorf's moveset so Ganondorf can get a new one.

- Mii: Mii is slapped into everything made by Nintendo where you can choose your character. He is in all the Mario & Sonic Olympic Games for Wii and WiiU, and has had multiple appearances in his own games like Wii Sports, Wii Play, and Pilotwings Resort. As for his moveset, I have no idea. He could have a somewhat customizable moveset, or a default sports-based moveset. I honestly have no idea.

- Captain N: In both Melee and Brawl, there was an obscure retro, or historical, character. While I am not saying one is guaranteed for SSB4, I think having one is likely and would be cool. Captain N from the old 80s cartoon/comic series would be a hilarious addition to the roster! The fact that he is not from a video game makes him even more of a surprise as a newcomer, and the fact that he was from a show that wasn't very well received makes it even more surprising! Captain N would be a hilarious addition to the roster, and as an obscure and historical character, he makes sense.

- Little Mac: He is another character that is basically shoe-in for Smash 4. Almost everyone wants him, he had a popular and successful reboot for the Wii, and he could bring an unrepresented popular franchise to Smash!

- Sandbag: Smash Bros. has had some original characters (Master/Crazy Hand, Primid, Tabuu) and I think it is time for one to get in. An original Smash Bros. newcomer should be a classic one, and not a recent one like Primid or Tabuu from Brawl. Unless we were to get some sort of full-bodied Master/Crazy Hand, the obvious choice is Sandbag. It would be really funny and awesome to watch Sandbag to ironically beat up his foes with the home-run bat! He has an OK chance, but a very high chance if a Smash Bros. original character were to be included.

- Lip: Just like with obscure/hostorical characters, Melee and Brawl both has a retro character (Ice Climbers and Pit who is no longer retro due to Kid Icarus Uprising). Sakurai has shown to have a soft spot for Panel de Pon, so why not add Lip? There have been various Panel de Pon references in the Smash series (Lip's Stick item, Kirby garbage block transformation, and garbage block in Nintendogs 3DS stage), and I think it is about time to have Lip as a full-fledged newcomer.

- Pac-Man: Though Sakurai said that Namco-Bandai's involvement in the game doesn't guarantee they get a third-party, he also said that any 3rd party would have to be a very important character. Pac-Man fits that description very well! He is one of the most iconic video game characters right next to Mario, and was one of the first arcade games that revolutionized gaming and went down in history forever. Adding him would finish the list of the most famous video game characters: Mario, Sonic, Mega Man, and Pac-Man.
[/collapse]

Starcutter

Resident Beedrill
NNID
Legendofrob1
3DS FC
1908-0357-9077
And this is exactly why I don't have Little Mac, I'm of the opinion that Sakurai doesn't see him as a viable fighter, but rather an assist trophy.

Saying the stage means a playable character? Assist trophies can't have stages? Let's see:

Confirmed Nintendog assist trophy has a stage. Nintendog isn't viable (sorry Bluepikmin11)

There's a Pilotwings stage, so I guess that means a Pilotwings character is inevitable. it has viable characters (as of pilotwings 64). it's possible, but they are pretty obscure, so I doubt it.

Find Mii must make Miis inevitable too, prepare yourselves. I kinda expect them anyways, even disregarding the leak

And gain, Henenbow and Pictochat. Like I said, Sakurai probably doesn't see Little Mac as viable. Of course, my opinion will change if he makes the cut.
Responses in green.

also, I bet you wouldn't see Little Mac as an assist if he wasn't in brawl.

In brawl, there was WAY higher priority characters, and they got in brawl. as of this smash there isn't many other "essential characters". Little mac does fit in this category now, as he's one of the biggest fish to fry in terms of importance to nintendo.

Mega Bidoof

Smash Hero
NNID
Link46
3DS FC
1160-9840-1542
hi everybody i am new here i enjoy reading smash boards i would post my roster prediction but i have no idea how too
I'M MEGA BIDOOF, AND WELCOME TO JACKASS!

Uhhh.....
I mean welcome to Smashboards.

I'm Mega Bidoof, King of WTF Characters, and head of Super Smash Bros. Affintiy, a fan-made Smash game by some people here on Smashboards.

If you want to post your roster, I suggest first going to the Roster Maker Thread and downloading the Roster Maker. Then you can make your roster in that, save it as an image, and upload to here by pressing "Upload File."

BluePikmin11

Akko is my dear daughter!
NNID
blue
If Captain N was an international cartoon, Sakurai would have at least considered him. But he's unfortunately at the same boat as Nester and Mike Jones as they are only seen in America and not Japan, and I doubt he'll consider him.

Responses in green.
Still doesn't find the dog feasible I know. :p
Way too much controversy could happen.

JamesDNaux

Smash Hero
NNID
JamesDNaux
Responses in green.

also, I bet you wouldn't see Little Mac as an assist if he wasn't in brawl.

In brawl, there was WAY higher priority characters, and they got in brawl. as of this smash there isn't many other "essential characters". Little mac does fit in this category now, as he's one of the biggest fish to fry in terms of importance to nintendo.
And you wouldn't see Little Mac as a playable character if he wasn't an assist in Brawl. When the hell did Little Mac become a "beloved Nintendo character?"
Little Mac isn't essential, and he sure isn't important to Nintendo, I don't how everyone is pulling that from their arse.

Forget Little Mac, I want a beloved character from these games:
[collapse=]
[/collapse]

Last edited:

BluePikmin11

NNID
blue
And you wouldn't see Little Mac as a playable character if he wasn't an assist in Brawl. When the hell did Little Mac become a "beloved Nintendo character?"
Little Mac isn't essential, and he sure isn't important to Nintendo, I don't how everyone is pulling that from their arse.

[collapse=]
[/collapse]
Going by your statement, Ice Climbers and Pit wouldn't have been playable then.

Mega Bidoof

Smash Hero
NNID
Link46
3DS FC
1160-9840-1542
Ooh look! Rosters!

Here is mine newly updated roster! (Geez, I seem to be updating it every day.)

Mega Bidoof's SSB4 Prediction Roster!

2/8/14

52 Slots. 57 Characters (not counting same-time fighters like Ice Climbers and Chrom & Lucina)

Explanations:

- Large Roster Size: We don't know what Sakurai is thinking size-wise, so there is no basis on what is too small or too large.

*Lack of Newcomer for Certain Series':
[collapse=Lack of Newcomer for Certain Series' Explanation]
-Yoshi & Wario Series': The only reason I didn't add newcomer to these series is just because Mario has a newcomer and Donkey Kong does too. If I added a Yoshi or Wario newcomer it wouldn't be kind of Mario overkill. I also didn't have enough room, and some other series would have deserved a newcomer before them if I had more room.
-If I added them, they would be Kamek and Mona. Or Birdo and Waluigi if they counted as Yoshi and Wario characters.

-Kirby Series: The only real reason I didn't add one is because there isn't enough room on the roster without it getting to big. If I had one more space, I would have to add Bandana Dee. Bandana Dee just seems the most likely, especially with Dedede's "Waddle Dee Throw" not being shown, which @ ????????????? ????????????? pointed out in his Dedede Dojo update video.
-If I added one, it would be Bandana Dee.

-Pikmin Series: It just doesn't seem necessary to have a newcomer from this series. Nobody would really bring anything new to the table, unless it was an enemy like Plasm Wraith.
-If I added one, it would be The Drake's Crew.

-Mother/Earthbound Series: Mother is such a small series (though it is a beautiful and awesome series) that it doesn't really need another newcomer. Maybe in SSB5, but for now it would be weird to give it more characters than Metroid and F-Zero, and the same amount as Kirby and Donkey Kong.
-If I added one, it would be Porky Minch.

-Starfox Series: Kind of like Mother, it doesn't seem necessary. It doesn't need a newcomer this time around. It would kind of over represent the series, and it is fine with 3 characters for now.
-If I added one, it would be Krystal.

[/collapse]

*Newcomers:

[collapse=Newcomer Explanation]
- Diddy & Dixie tag-team: Sakurai allegedly wanted to implement this idea in Brawl but couldn't due to time constraints. Why wouldn't he do it now?

-King K. Rool: He is one of the most wanted Smash 4 characters, and is the main villain of the Donkey Kong series, which is the only one of the main 4 Nintendo franchises that doesn't have a villain in it yet (Mewtwo is returning as a "villain" for Pokémon).

-Tingle: Sakurai seems to be looking for more unique newcomers this time around, and Tingle fits that bill for a Zelda newcomer! He is also a recurring role, and only competes with Impa in terms of importance. He is the Zelda newcomer makes the most sense in my opinions.

-Ridley: Almost everyone wants him. Ridley = not too big.

-Palutena: There was that leak that Sakurai indirectly acknowledged in a later "Pic of the Day" when he posted a picture of a Palutena statue. Whether or not the leak is true, Palutena makes sense as a newcomer. Kid Icarus was treated as a main Nintendo series in the trailer along the likes of Kirby and Pokémon, and I think it deserves a newcomer.

-Mewtwo: He is basically shoe-in. You could say his chances are lowered due to Lucario's return, but the fact that Sakurai is making Lucario different means that he could be differentiating him from what he is planning for Mewtwo. Not to mention Mewtwo is really wanted among the Smash fan-base, and was a poster child for X and Y.

-Chrom & Lucina: Since Chrom was the main protagonist of Fire Emblem Awakening, and Awakening was a VERY big game for the Fire Emblem series, Chrom deserves a spot on the roster. But since a lot of people are arguing that Chrom would be too similar to Marth or Ike, he should be on an Ice Climbers-like team with Lucina (another character from Awakening). Being a two character team of swordsman, with one being heavy and strong, and one being fast, light, and quick, would bring a unique play style to the table for a character who is constantly called generic and too similar. Though he could also be on a team with Robin, your avatar from Awakening, who could use magic with him too. I would take either one, though I prefer a Lucina team.

- Samurai Goroh: I feel that F-Zero deserves a newcomer, despite it being a "dead" series. All of the other series from Smash 64 got newcomers for their series (Samus got Zero-Suit which technically is a newcomer). If Earthbound can have 2 characters (don't get me wrong, I love Earthbound, it's my favorite game of all time), then F-Zero can. As for why I chose Goroh, I feel he can bring more to the table and is arguably more important than Black Shadow. Goroh can have Electricity-based moves (since his vehicle is called "The Stingray." Though Black Shadow would be cool in taking Ganondorf's moveset so Ganondorf can get a new one.

- Mii: Mii is slapped into everything made by Nintendo where you can choose your character. He is in all the Mario & Sonic Olympic Games for Wii and WiiU, and has had multiple appearances in his own games like Wii Sports, Wii Play, and Pilotwings Resort. As for his moveset, I have no idea. He could have a somewhat customizable moveset, or a default sports-based moveset. I honestly have no idea.

- Captain N: In both Melee and Brawl, there was an obscure retro, or historical, character. While I am not saying one is guaranteed for SSB4, I think having one is likely and would be cool. Captain N from the old 80s cartoon/comic series would be a hilarious addition to the roster! The fact that he is not from a video game makes him even more of a surprise as a newcomer, and the fact that he was from a show that wasn't very well received makes it even more surprising! Captain N would be a hilarious addition to the roster, and as an obscure and historical character, he makes sense.

- Little Mac: He is another character that is basically shoe-in for Smash 4. Almost everyone wants him, he had a popular and successful reboot for the Wii, and he could bring an unrepresented popular franchise to Smash!

- Sandbag: Smash Bros. has had some original characters (Master/Crazy Hand, Primid, Tabuu) and I think it is time for one to get in. An original Smash Bros. newcomer should be a classic one, and not a recent one like Primid or Tabuu from Brawl. Unless we were to get some sort of full-bodied Master/Crazy Hand, the obvious choice is Sandbag. It would be really funny and awesome to watch Sandbag to ironically beat up his foes with the home-run bat! He has an OK chance, but a very high chance if a Smash Bros. original character were to be included.

- Lip: Just like with obscure/hostorical characters, Melee and Brawl both has a retro character (Ice Climbers and Pit who is no longer retro due to Kid Icarus Uprising). Sakurai has shown to have a soft spot for Panel de Pon, so why not add Lip? There have been various Panel de Pon references in the Smash series (Lip's Stick item, Kirby garbage block transformation, and garbage block in Nintendogs 3DS stage), and I think it is about time to have Lip as a full-fledged newcomer.

- Pac-Man: Though Sakurai said that Namco-Bandai's involvement in the game doesn't guarantee they get a third-party, he also said that any 3rd party would have to be a very important character. Pac-Man fits that description very well! He is one of the most iconic video game characters right next to Mario, and was one of the first arcade games that revolutionized gaming and went down in history forever. Adding him would finish the list of the most famous video game characters: Mario, Sonic, Mega Man, and Pac-Man.
[/collapse]
My Roster had the awesome luck of being the last post on the page, so I'm going to repost it here.

Starcutter

Resident Beedrill
NNID
Legendofrob1
3DS FC
1908-0357-9077

[collapse=]
[/collapse]
....um, are you really arguing that little mac isn't a beloved nintendo character?

like.... seriously?

alright, I'll bite.

1. how many of those games actually got sequels? multiple sequels, mind you.

3. Punch-Out!! was released on the wii. after HOW long since Super Punch-Out? like, 15 years?

4. Brawl assist trophy.

And you wouldn't see Little Mac as a playable character if he wasn't an assist in Brawl.
also, yes, I found out about him because brawl, and this point is a big factor. but the bigger factor was that his game series got a new game (which is on the NINTENDO SELECT series, might I add.) as well as his appearance in Captain Rainbow.

EDIT: also the fat hockey player would be ****ing amazing in smash

Last edited:

Vez

Smash Apprentice
EDIT: also the fat hockey player would be ****ing amazing in smash
He should be the last character you unlock. The new Game and Watch. I think we can all agree that Fat Hockey Guy is a beloved gem of a character and he deserves his place in Smash Bros. history.

AEMehr

Mii Fighter
Thanks! By in the centre, you wouldn't mean like this would you?
Yes! That is what I meant. Sorta makes it look more like a crossover game, eh?
As for Little Mac, I've stated before that I think that "leak" is a load of BS. I just don't see him as anything more than assist trophy material, I guess I don't have a nostalgia boner for Punch Out like everyone else seems to have.
I just find it funny how the leak being fake is what excludes Little Mac out of the prediction roster. You are entitled to your opinion, so I won't attempt to change your mind here.
The Famicom Four refers to Link, Samus, Pit, and Takamaru, yes. Takamaru is in a very similar position to Pit, it helps his chances I think.
I can see why you'd think that. Considering his position, I'd say he's still the most likely.
I don't get how you're comparing Krystal to Black Shadow (or why everyone seems to bring up F-Zero in regards to Star Fox).
Well to be fair, both are franchises that Nintendo doesn't know what to do with right now (essentially the only ones that are present in Smash Bros. that aren't Retro characters). I think their relation is justifiable.
Krystal has a unique moveset to bring that's a contrast to the other three spacies, while the only reasons I see people give for any F-Zero character is just that, for the sake of having an F-Zero character. I don't believe in this at all, I think characters should get in on their own merits, not because their franchise "needs more" or "has too many." Look at the character, not the icon they wear.
I feel the same with Black Shadow or Samurai Goroh. Not for the sake of having another F-Zero character, but moreso for the idea of a character based around Manipulating his opponents (and the Japanese mostly want him because of his voice actor, but I'd like the guy for the Manipulative moveset).
Sakurai has expressed that he likes bringing back older characters, and he has a personal preference for Lip that I believe he might act on this time. She'd also be the only puzzle game character in Smash (besides Dr. Mario anyway).
I cannot say that I haven't noticed Sakurai expressing interest in older characters, but I cannot see two japanese exclusive characters happening again. I'm sure Sakurai is more aware of the American and European fanbase now than ever before. Besides if you're inclined to have a puzzle character, what's wrong with Little Mac? :troll:
I don't see how Pac-Man needs to add to the hype, I mean, Miss Fit sure didn't get people very excited. Sakurai likes adding characters like that, no one really liked R.O.B. either.
Pac-Man is a third party character.
Miss Fit and R.O.B. (which I actually liked sir) are Nintendo characters. You don't have to pay a large sum of money and would have to go through a lot of trouble to get them in the game. If people aren't going to be entirely excited if Pac-Man is in the game or be the deciding factor of anybody getting the game or not, he may not be worth the trouble.

And this is exactly why I don't have Little Mac, I'm of the opinion that Sakurai doesn't see him as a viable fighter, but rather an assist trophy.
Well uh, I'm not entirely sure how you came to that conclusion. Wouldn't "varied enough for a full moveset" make more sense? Even then, I don't find Marth varied enough. The all guy does is slash with his Falchion. Nothing really unique there, right?
Confirmed Nintendog assist trophy has a stage.
Nintendogs in absurdly popular franchise. Besides, people aren't very fond of the idea of punching photorealistic dogs. Besides, it getting a stage this time around hardly that surprising.
There's a Pilotwings stage, so I guess that means a Pilotwings character is inevitable.
Pilotwings seems more like a reason to represent Wuhu Island in a way that wasn't entirely expected.
Not to mention the Pilotwings tradition that was a thing for a short period of time. I find it's inclusion very fitting, since the Pilotwings franchise has always been a means of showing what the future can promise from the console it is presented on.
• SNES was 3D-esque with completely 2D graphics.
• N64 was entirely 3D.
• 3DS was to focus on the 3D Capabilities of the 3DS.
• Smash for Wii U and 3DS is in HD, so it looks great.

(Just my theory though)
Find Mii must make Miis inevitable too, prepare yourselves.
Find Mii is a present in every 3DS system. It's in more for the same reason Pictochat was in Brawl, since it is present in every DS system.
But if a Mii is added in, this would probably be it's home stage. With Pilotwings being it's other home stage.

And again, Hanenbow and Pictochat.
I've covered Pictochat, but Hanenbow stumped me. But I wouldn't think a limbless Plankton has a chance to be playable in Smash anyways.
---
Why "hopefully Phantom"? I am confused, the predominant reason I do not advocate Phantom as an assist trophy is based on the notion that he is a seemingly generic hack and slash assist based on a generic enemy. Legend of Zelda has a plethora of more suitable assist trophies that are actually unique. I am just curious, if Vaati and Ghirahim aren't playable, I would much rather they become assist trophies over Phantom.

To be more concise, I don't want to debate whether or not Phantom is an assist, I am wondering why you want him as an assist.
While this may not pertain to the topic, I wonder if the Phantom follows it's summoner and attacks opponents he gets too close into the summoner's personal space. When someone does get to close, it speeds up to the opponent and slashes away.
Would make it certainly more helpful than the ATTACK ATTACK ATTACK ATTAAAAACK! method a majority of the Assist Trophies in Brawl used.

Last edited:

Starcutter

Resident Beedrill
NNID
Legendofrob1
3DS FC
1908-0357-9077
He should be the last character you unlock. The new Game and Watch. I think we can all agree that Fat Hockey Guy is a beloved gem of a character and he deserves his place in Smash Bros. history.
honesly wouldn't mind if Fat Hockey Player was confirmed. it's because I'm Canadian

inb4 Fat Mac is confirmed for smash.
actually his name is Big Mac.:rotfl:

Last edited:

pikachugamer21

Smash Journeyman
im kinda lost on what you guys are talking about right now but some of my roster has certain characters you guys seem to be against including so yeah i'll just keep it to myself anyways just a quick question how would you guys personally feel if tetra was chosen as a newcomer no toon zelda attachment though just pure tetra

BluePikmin11

NNID
blue
im kinda lost on what you guys are talking about right now but some of my roster has certain characters you guys seem to be against including so yeah i'll just keep it to myself anyways just a quick question how would you guys personally feel if tetra was chosen as a newcomer no toon zelda attachment though just pure tetra
Don't be afraid to show them, at the very least just show us the newcomers you think are happening.

?????????????

Smash Master
I guess I don't have a nostalgia boner for Punch Out like everyone else seems to have.
I'm hard for ****** green boxers.

In all seriousness, I have never seen Little Mac as a shoe-in character for SSB. However, as far as classic Nintendo characters go who aren't in SSB already, Little Mac stands out as a character who had a successful NES title that built into a franchise. Kid Icarus didn't get a Super Nintendo sequel. Punch-Out Wii was created before Kid Icarus Uprising.

Whether or not Little Mac is likely, which is completely subjective, does not change the fact for myself that Punch-Out is my favorite Nintendo game, I've wanted Little Mac in Super Smash Bros. since it's existed, and the character is entirely possible.

NickerBocker

Smash Lord
3DS FC
2492-4251-5054
Loving the new thread

Little Mac eh?

He is one of the few characters that I consider to be a shoo-in, and the only newcomer I think that can claim that title. The combination of the boxing ring stage, his game on the Wii, his AT status, and his longevity, Punch Out!! Being around since the NES, and a classic at that, gives him a strong chance. Being an AT makes me think that he was at least considered at one point or another, along with many other ATs. The boxing ring stage is a pretty good indication of a Punch Out!! Stage. The NES was extremely popular, especially with Mike Tyson being in it.

The only thing against him I think at this point is Sakurais comment about "no fighting game characters." While I do believe that it does only refer to games like Soul Caliber, Street Fighter, Tekken, etc. (Fighting game genre) it really depends on Sakurais interpretation of what a "fighting game" is. Punch Out!! Is in a weird position. On the surface, it appears to be a fighting game, but it doesnt play like one at all. Its more of a puzzle game than anything, cleverly disguised with Boxing characters. Again, Sakurai may disregard Little Mac due to his apparent "fighting game" status, but I think he is a whole different beast.

JamesDNaux

Smash Hero
NNID
JamesDNaux
Going by your statement, Ice Climbers and Pit wouldn't have been playable then.
I never said anything about Ice Climbers or Pit, I was comparing Punch Out to the other generic sports games.

....um, are you really arguing that little mac isn't a beloved nintendo character?

1. how many of those games actually got sequels? multiple sequels, mind you.

3. Punch-Out!! was released on the wii. after HOW long since Super Punch-Out? like, 15 years?

4. Brawl assist trophy.

also, yes, I found out about him because brawl, and this point is a big factor. but the bigger factor was that his game series got a new game (which is on the NINTENDO SELECT series, might I add.) as well as his appearance in Captain Rainbow.
Whether he's a beloved character or not is entirely opinion.

1. So? He got a sequel, that makes him a beloved and important Nintendo character? He's not a giant franchise like Mario, and comparing him to that is laughable.

2. So fat Little Mac is the one everyone wants? I didn't know that's why everyone loved him. :troll:

3. Punch Out got a sequel on the Wii because of his appearance in Brawl, you know, like how Pit got a game.

4. Alright, a random assist trophy in Brawl, I'll give you that, because Isaac is a pretty good choice. I'll be waiting for Barbara the Bat and 8-bit Lakitu then.

And Nintendo Select? That's just a label Nintendo gives to well selling games, Nintendo has a load of those. :laugh:

Look, I already know why you guys like Little Mac, and you already know why I don't. I don't hate Little Mac, but I'm not going to follow the sheep and add him just because everyone else is doing it. Every time I explain to someone why he isn't on my roster you guys take as a chance to try to convert me to Morbid Mactruism. :joyful:

I'm just not going to put him on my roster until he is confirmed to be playable. I'm not saying he isn't likely, I'm not saying I'd hate him to be in the game, I'm just not putting him on my prediction roster. You guys just need to accept that not everyone likes Little Mac, it's not like I'm coming in attacking him, you just keep trying to force him on me, and that's not cool.

@ ????????????? ?????????????

I think he's pretty likely too, I just don't think he's a shoe-in, I don't think anyone is a shoe-in. Everyone just wants me to love Punch Out for some reason.

Last edited:

BluePikmin11

NNID
blue
I'm just not going to put him on my roster until he is confirmed to be playable. I'm not saying he isn't likely, I'm not saying I'd hate him to be in the game, I'm just not putting him on my prediction roster. You guys just need to accept that not everyone likes Little Mac, it's not like I'm coming in attacking him, you just keep trying to force him on me, and that's not cool.
Well it is your prediction roster, but I still think you should consider adding him still so at least you get the most obvious newcomer right.

Vez

Smash Apprentice
The only thing against him I think at this point is Sakurais comment about "no fighting game characters." While I do believe that it does only refer to games like Soul Caliber, Street Fighter, Tekken, etc. (Fighting game genre) it really depends on Sakurais interpretation of what a "fighting game" is. Punch Out!! Is in a weird position. On the surface, it appears to be a fighting game, but it doesnt play like one at all. Its more of a puzzle game than anything, cleverly disguised with Boxing characters. Again, Sakurai may disregard Little Mac due to his apparent "fighting game" status, but I think he is a whole different beast.
Yeah, I wouldn't worry about that. He was definitely referring to traditional fighting characters. From what I remember he was talking about the fact that if you took someone like Ryu from Street Fighter and put him into Smash Bros. he'd be more or less the same character, which is really boring. Little Mac in Smash Bros. would be very different from what he is like in his games.

?????????????

Smash Master
The only thing against him I think at this point is Sakurais comment about "no fighting game characters."
"Punch-Out!!," to most gamers, would not be considered a fighting game. Most classify the genre as something that follows, is similar to, or builds upon the conventions started in Street Fighter II.

Of coarse, this all is dependent of Sakurai's views, but this would be the view of most gamers.

I think he's pretty likely too, I just don't think he's a shoe-in, I don't think anyone is a shoe-in. Everyone just wants me to love Punch Out for some reason.
No one is a shoe-in, and no one character is required for personal rosters.

Well it is your prediction roster, but I still think you should consider adding him still so at least you get the most obvious newcomer right.
That's....kind of a funny statement coming from you buddy, with all the characters no one else would think about on their prediction roster.

Does Little Mac really have any kind of edge over other new series characters? Some of those guys could have good movesets. I mean, Brawl picked Pit and Olimar over Little Mac. So no, I do not think he is a shoe-in, and I would not expect people who are not big fans of Punch-Out!! itself to hold much love for the character.

Last edited:

BluePikmin11

NNID
blue
Does Little Mac really have any kind of edge over other new series characters? Some of those guys could have good movesets. I mean, Brawl picked Pit and Olimar over Little Mac. So no, I do not think he is a shoe-in, and I would not expect people who are not big fans of Punch-Out!! itself to hold much love for the character.
With all the hints regarding Mac, yes I think so.

Starcutter

Resident Beedrill
NNID
Legendofrob1
3DS FC
1908-0357-9077
alright, I guess all this pointless Mac n cheese discussion is over? good, we can move on now. what's next?

Gunla

It's my bit, you see.
Administrator
BRoomer
Writing Team
Gonna take a note from @MorbidAltruism and say this:

The only "real shoo-in" is Mewtwo. No one else has that absolute of a chance.

Last edited:

AncientTobacco

Smash Lord
I'm also one of the few people that don't consider Mac to be a "shoe-in" or even very likely at all. For two reasons:

1. The fact that the boxing stage seems to only take inspiration from Punch-Out rather than actually being a Punch-Out stage.
2. Villager's boxing move possibly being borrowed from Mac like the Balloon Fighter Helmet.

Maybe Sakurai just doesn't see any interesting moveset potential in him. To be honest, neither do I. He seems like a very boring character.

Last edited:

Gunla

It's my bit, you see.
Administrator
BRoomer
Writing Team
Okay, okay, before this kettle sets itself on fire and we start a problem, why don't we discuss something else?

Palutena, perhaps?
Or Zelda?
Insert a Bold Claim here?

Starcutter

Resident Beedrill
NNID
Legendofrob1
3DS FC
1908-0357-9077
Let's discuss Palutena, the most obvious newcomer for Smash for after Mac and Mewtwo.
coughRidleycough.

I get that palutena is all of a sudden really likely cause that leak is most likely legit, but there's still some doubt.

like, ummmm...

......oops, I can't think of anything negative. sorry guys, I failed you. oh well :p

?????????????

Smash Master
Look, I of course am completely optimistic about Little Mac getting into SSB4. But I'm not going to deny reasonable doubt.

Vez

Smash Apprentice
2. Villager's boxing move possibly being borrowed from Mac like the Balloon Fighter Helmet.
The problem with this is that they're not green gloves, which is what Mac is most recognizable for. They're just regular boxing gloves.

AEMehr

Mii Fighter
I never said anything about Ice Climbers or Pit, I was comparing Punch Out to the other generic sports games.
A Generic sports game is 2K(year) Basketball or the Madden titles in general.
The Punch-Out!! franchise is filled with a variety characters that have tons of varying personalities. It requires players to understand attack patterns, dodge them accordingly, find opponents weak points to obtain stars, and to counter opponents. Even some of them have one-hit KO stances.
A generic sports generally just has player hold a button and let go at the right time.

The Punch-Out!! franchise is far from generic mechanically.

Last edited:

NickerBocker

Smash Lord
3DS FC
2492-4251-5054
"Punch-Out!!," to most gamers, would not be considered a fighting game. Most classify the genre as something that follows, is similar to, or builds upon the conventions started in Street Fighter II.

Of coarse, this all is dependent of Sakurai's views, but this would be the view of most gamers.
Yeah, I wouldn't worry about that. He was definitely referring to traditional fighting characters. From what I remember he was talking about the fact that if you took someone like Ryu from Street Fighter and put him into Smash Bros. he'd be more or less the same character, which is really boring. Little Mac in Smash Bros. would be very different from what he is like in his games.
Exactly what I was getting at. I'm not going to completely rule it out though, because the genre of Punch-Out!! is not clearly defined. It also came out before the fighting game genre actually became a popular gaming genre. Granted, before games like Street Fighter and Tekken, it would be pretty fair to assume that Punch-Out!! is indeed a "fighting" game. I do think he was talking about traditional fighting game styles, like mentioned before, but it depends on Sakurai's interpretation of a fighting game. I personally think that Punch Out!! is not a fighting game, and most would agree, but Sakurai may not. He didn't explicitly refer to Punch-Out!! when making that statement, so its really all up in the air at this point.

Last edited:

AncientTobacco

Smash Lord
The problem with this is that they're not green gloves, which is what Mac is most recognizable for. They're just regular boxing gloves.
The Balloon Fighter Helmet was first shown to be red but in the Rosalina trailer it was blue. Could be that the colors weren't yet finalized or they simply change randomly or something.

Vez

Smash Apprentice
The Balloon Fighter Helmet was first shown to be red but in the Rosalina trailer it was blue. Could be that the colors weren't yet finalized or they simply change randomly or something.
Hmm, you're right. I didn't notice that. That's weird. If I see him with green boxing gloves then I'll concede that Mac likely isn't in the game.

?????????????

Smash Master
Reposting.
Looks fine to me. Includes every character from Brawl plus, of course, other characters confirmed for SSB4. Newcomers include (return of) Mewtwo, K. Rool, Dixie, Ridley, Mac, Goroh, Chrom, Andy, Takamaru, and Mach Rider.

I believe Mewtwo and Ridley have obvious reasons to be included.

I think two DK newcomers is completely reasonable.

Little Mac is my favorite.

Goroh is, I think, the best choice for another F-Zero character, but I don't see another F-Zero character as a big priority. However, everything else I WOULD consider a bigger priority you already have. I personally would prioritize a second Yoshi character or even a second Kid Icarus character over a second F-Zero character, but that's no better or worse.

Chrom makes total sense.

I always see what people are going for with Andy; the Wars series is one of the larger Nintendo franchises to not have a character, and plenty of material to make a good one. However, it's hard to point out a specific Wars character that stands out as the representation of the series. Andy probably comes pretty close.

Takamaru AND Mach Rider, two new retro characters. Between these, Andy, and Mac, that's a lot of new series characters, but at this point, with most large franchises already having their staple characters and more, there's room for this. Mach Rider wouldn't have been my pick, but he's unique regardless and a good surprise.

Last edited:

JamesDNaux

Smash Hero
NNID
JamesDNaux
Yes! That is what I meant. Sorta makes it look more like a crossover game, eh?
I guess so, I'm always trying to rearrange my roster anyway. :laugh:

I just find it funny how the leak being fake is what excludes Little Mac out of the prediction roster. You are entitled to your opinion, so I won't attempt to change your mind here.
Well uh, I'm not entirely sure how you came to that conclusion. Wouldn't "varied enough for a full moveset" make more sense? Even then, I don't find Marth varied enough. The all guy does is slash with his Falchion. Nothing really unique there, right?
The leak being fake isn't the sole reason he isn't on here, like I've explained countless times, I'm not a Punch Out fan, and I just don't see Little Mac as a likely character.

Can't really compare him to Marth though, since Fire Emblem is a huge franchise and Marth is pretty much the face of it.

Well to be fair, both are franchises that Nintendo doesn't know what to do with right now (essentially the only ones that are present in Smash Bros. that aren't Retro characters). I think their relation is justifiable.
I feel the same with Black Shadow or Samurai Goroh. Not for the sake of having another F-Zero character, but moreso for the idea of a character based around Manipulating his opponents (and the Japanese mostly want him because of his voice actor, but I'd like the guy for the Manipulative moveset)
I feel that F-Zero doesn't need anyone else, it's a racing game, and Captain Falcon already represents the whole of it, and not even accurately. I feel that if Black Shadow got in, he'd just take Falcondorf's moveset while Ganondorf himself got a new one. Krystal on the other hand, has a load of moveset potential that Sakurai wouldn't really have to make up, and I don't want her because she's a Star Fox character, but because of the character herself.

I cannot say that I haven't noticed Sakurai expressing interest in older characters, but I cannot see two japanese exclusive characters happening again. I'm sure Sakurai is more aware of the American and European fanbase now than ever before. Besides if you're inclined to have a puzzle character, what's wrong with Little Mac? :troll:
Pac-Man is a third party character.
Miss Fit and R.O.B. (which I actually liked sir) are Nintendo characters. You don't have to pay a large sum of money and would have to go through a lot of trouble to get them in the game. If people aren't going to be entirely excited if Pac-Man is in the game or be the deciding factor of anybody getting the game or not, he may not be worth the trouble.
Well, Marth and Roy were Japan only, hell, Roy hadn't even been in his game yet. It's just that Sakurai personally likes Panel de Pon and he knows people want Lip, so there's at least some substance there.

Pac-Man is still an iconic character, and if Sakurai took a chance on Snake, I can see him taking a chance on Pac-Man.

Nintendogs in absurdly popular franchise. Besides, people aren't very fond of the idea of punching photorealistic dogs. Besides, it getting a stage this time around hardly that surprising.
Pilotwings seems more like a reason to represent Wuhu Island in a way that wasn't entirely expected.
Not to mention the Pilotwings tradition that was a thing for a short period of time. I find it's inclusion very fitting, since the Pilotwings franchise has always been a means of showing what the future can promise from the console it is presented on.
• SNES was 3D-esque with completely 2D graphics.
• N64 was entirely 3D.
• 3DS was to focus on the 3D Capabilities of the 3DS.
• Smash for Wii U and 3DS is in HD, so it looks great.
(Just my theory though)
Find Mii is a present in every 3DS system. It's in more for the same reason Pictochat was in Brawl, since it is present in every DS system.
But if a Mii is added in, this would probably be it's home stage. With Pilotwings being it's other home stage.
I've covered Pictochat, but Hanenbow stumped me. But I wouldn't think a limbless Plankton has a chance to be playable in Smash anyways.
I was just pointing out that stages don't need characters, I understand why those stages are there, I'm just saying that a Punch Out stage =/= Little Mac.

Oh I dunno, maybe because I don't think Little Mac is a shoe-in, like I've already explained? And Little Mac isn't obvious, people are just clinging to that "leak" for dear life, if Little Mac is obvious, then Miss Fit wasn't a surprise choice at all. :laugh:

Gunla

It's my bit, you see.
Administrator
BRoomer
Writing Team
Oh I dunno, maybe because I don't think Little Mac is a shoe-in, like I've already explained? And Little Mac isn't obvious, people are just clinging to that "leak" for dear life, if Little Mac is obvious, then Miss Fit wasn't a surprise choice at all. :laugh:
People did predict the Trainer. And not everyone believes that leak, including myself. See how many rosters have those three all in the roster. A large chunk of us deny Pac-Man and Mii.

I'm making a little idea at the moment, with a giant variable.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom