• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Character Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tepig2000

Smash Champion
3DS FC
2938-8785-9936
And that's what I'm saying.
He could bring back not only his moves. But the moves Mario lost in the past games...
But that is not what he is known for, the only thing he does normal Mario does not is throwing vitamins, and the only thing Mario does in Smash Bros. that Dr. Mario can't do is shooting fireballs and using the F.L.U.D.D.. So, if Dr. Mario was in Smash 4, only his neutral and down special would be different. But he could have more distinct A moves.

Substitution

Deacon Blues
NNID
MisterVideo
But that is not what he is known for, the only thing he does normal Mario does not is throwing vitamins, and the only thing Mario does in Smash Bros. that Dr. Mario can't do is shooting fireballs and using the F.L.U.D.D.. So, if Dr. Mario was in Smash 4, only his neutral and down special would be different. But he could have more distinct A moves.
See? He can work.
He'd just need to be de-cloned. And knowing Luigi...

Substitution

Deacon Blues
NNID
MisterVideo
I never said he can't be different. I said he would most certainly be a clone.
So, it's possible, but it isn't.
That's a real conflicting message you've got there.

But he doesn't need to be a full-on clone. I can settle with semi-clone.

AEMehr

Mii Fighter
You can create entirely unique moveset for anybody if you put enough effort into it, Dr. Mario is no exception.

Paper Mario could also easily be a clone if little effort is put into him, it's no different for any variation of Mario as it isn't any different for any variation of Link.

Last edited:

andimidna

Smash Master
HEY GUYS LOOK AT WHAT I MADE

View attachment 9266

Every damn character anyone could seriously ask for. Ever. Completely extensive. Nobody left out. Not a one. I even made extra room for characters you could replace them with, but you know what? One of you little ****s are going to point out about how your preferred choice still isn't in here. This gargantuan of a roster is proof that you can't please everybody on this forum. No matter what your roster is, people, it will always upset at least one person here out of principle of missing someone.

And that's just a sad fact we'll all have to get used to.
Young Link over Midna?!

-0/10.

Boycotting the game.

Buying Playstation Allstars instead.

Makaronileo

Smash Journeyman
Alternative skins:
Empty Roster.png

didnt find pictures on these ones:

peach-sportsuit
rosalina-sortsuit
metaknight-unmasked
dedede-masked
Squirtle-SUNGLASSES

just some ideas.

TheLastJinjo

Banned via Warnings
Well that doesn't make him any less younger. It's not like Mario is suddenly a fresh face in the gaming industry because of 3D World being released in November.

What?

So this would make Little Mac represent the Arcade since, as previously mentioned, the arcade versions of Punch-Out!! seem to be focused a big focus in his promotional material / moveset.
So Sonic is a retro because Sakurai focuses on the Genesis original material?

A retro is a franchise that has not been revived through an official game since NES or probably SNES.

In fact, I believe we haven't even seen the Star Punch yet. Which just adds to the possibility of him being a more classically focused character.
Several characters are classically focused. And a lot of that stuff is still in Punch-Out Wii. Like the Star Punch.

Maybe not, but like I said I couldn't fit in a formal retro character in there.
Then you're going to have to fix that.

So Little Mac is the retro character in this roster.
A character is not a retro because it's convenient to your personal layout.

Having only
8 newcomers may sound like a stretch

It's not even remotely realistic. :/

As for my total amount of actual playable characters, 48. 52 counting the optional custom ones you send in from the 3DS version.
What is your roster again?

D

Deleted member

No this is the best roster in ages, it has every character I could ever dream.
You put in....****ing Princess Shokora.....over Shake King.....in a deliberately extended roster?
What in the Hell.

Last edited by a moderator:

TheLastJinjo

Banned via Warnings
@SaturnGamer64 my only personal qualm with your roster is no Shulk. I'm not a fan of Goroh but I know your position and won't attempt to change that.

I know you're not keen on Shulk, but he is a very possible candidate, and I think you should consider him.
Well, as I said before: I don't really want to add an IP unless it's incredibly classic and/or promoted.

If you want to pick a FE semi-clone so much... why Roy over Chrom or Lucina?
Just because you are prejudice against semi-clones doesn't mean you need to treat people who are simply being realistic like they have a boner for them.

Also why Chrom over Roy? Well, both are one shot characters, but Roy is far more popular, actually has a prequel starring a character directly based off of him, he's a veteran from Smash Bros, and the fire makes him a more unique semi-clone than Chrom.

Also I'm surprised Lucina isn't a joke character. Dr. Mario and Pichu share more differences than her. Heck, WAY more than her. Lucina's differences end at her boobs and vagina. Leif, a much more important character who has a magic sword would be a better choice than Lucina. But, even he was deemed too similar by Sakurai so good luck with Lucina. A character who's so similar she can literally become Marth by simply adjusting her hair.

Ridiculous sized rosters that would please almost everyone? Here's my guess.
View attachment 9285
"Liked" just for Plusle & Minun

Kenith

Overkill Sarcasm
The Fabulous Friendly Super Sparkle Train
NNID
RipoffmanXKTG
3DS FC
4210-4224-9442
Make your own roster then.
OH DAM. Shots FIRED.

Also I'm surprised Lucina isn't a joke character. Dr. Mario and Pichu share more differences than her. Heck, WAY more than her. Lucina's differences end at her boobs and vagina. Leif, a much more important character who has a magic sword would be a better choice than Lucina. But, even he was deemed too similar by Sakurai so good luck with Lucina. A character who's so similar she can literally become Marth by simply adjusting her hair.
Wow...you took a character with similarity to another character and turned it into a sexist generalization. Good work. Can't argue with any of that.

Last edited:

Scoliosis Jones

Kept you waiting, huh?
Writing Team
NNID
ScoliosisxJones
3DS FC
1762-3194-1826
Well, as I said before: I don't really want to add an IP unless it's incredibly classic and/or promoted.
Well I won't tell you to change your characters. But Shulk is the go to characters if we're looking for a character for a new series representation. I wouldn't doubt over time that Nintendo will start promoting "X" more. But I suppose that remains to be seen.

Guys, please don't start a war in here. Let's be civil.

Last edited:

AEMehr

Mii Fighter
Well you suggested that Little Mac "Isn't that old" and said it was because of his last title being released in 2009.
The character himself is still a very old character, having a new title doesn't make him a new character. I used Mario as an example because he having a new title, like 3D World, doesn't make him a new character.

So Sonic is a retro because Sakurai focuses on the Genesis original material?
Third-Party characters are more of a special case I'd say, but eh I'll let you have that one.
A retro is a franchise that has not been revived through an official game since NES or probably SNES.
Franchises like Punch-Out!! are still seen as classic through it's fanbase. Unlike others such as LoZ, Mario, etc. the game itself sticks very close to it's roots.
And I don't need a definition for what a "Retro" franchise is, you should know that I am aware of what it means.
Several characters are classically focused. And a lot of that stuff is still in Punch-Out Wii. Like the Star Punch.
I've played the game, I know that.
Several characters are classically focused? The only characters that are really classically focused that aren't generally classified as "Retro" are Sonic and Mega Man.

Then you're going to have to fix that.
I'm not increasing my roster size, because that destroy the entire point of the experiment..
A character is not a retro because it's convenient to your personal layout.
The character fits the requirements for being considered "Retro". Of course, we don't even really know how retro characters are officially decided in the first place anyways.
I'm trying to think more logically about what makes a character "retro" other than just assuming that just being from an old game definitively makes you retro.

It's not even remotely realistic. :/
I'm going for "a change of direction" Saturn, just like Sakurai is.

This is just where it took me.

What is your roster again?

45 Selectable main playable characters,49 Total.
4 Optional custom characters that originate from the 3DS version to be sent into the Wii U version. This would bring the grand total to 52 Playable characters.
–––

Lucina has ridiculous possibilities for a moveset it's not even funny.

Her design in comparison to Marth now is only partially similar. I even dare to say that I highly doubt she would be perceived as an obvious Marth clone now, since they're trying to make every character seem more diverse and have them act like they do in their own games (Bowser anybody?). I mean Lucina has every ability Chrom has PLUS the abilities of whoever becomes her Mother. Basically, if Robin is Lucina's canon mom we got both Chrom AND Robin in one character. Whether she masqueraded herself as Marth or not does not confide her to only being able to use Marth's abilities.

Literally ANYONE from the Fire Emblem franchise can do what Marth does [Oh wow sword stab! Fancy Sword Slash!! UPWARD SLASH!1!! COUNTER!!!11!!1] and even then Lucina doesn't seem to act like Marth at all during Swordplay in Awakening, even her STANCE is completely different from Marth's.

To call Lucina a "Joke Character" is a Joke in itself.

Last edited:

FlareHabanero

Banned via Warnings
Also, I love how people are failing to grasp the concept of what a joke character is.

A joke character is supposed to be purposely bad, often with weak properties and typically an absurd style to back it up. They are normally included purely for laughs, not for balance. An example of this is Pichu from Melee, who has many negative traits and is even referred to as bad in the game itself.

Last edited:

TheLastJinjo

Banned via Warnings
Well I won't tell you to change your characters. But Shulk is the go to characters if we're looking for a character for a new series representation. I wouldn't doubt over time that Nintendo will start promoting "X" more. But I suppose that remains to be seen.

Guys, please don't start a war in here. Let's be civil.
I agree he's deserving enough, but I still doubt it somewhat. Even Golden Sun didn't get in at the height of it's popularity. But, to be fair the Brawl Roster was packed with high priority and necessary characters. Nonetheless, I don't think he would have gotten in Brawl despite that.

Also, I love how people are failing to grasp the concept of what a joke character is.

A joke character is supposed to be purposely bad, often with weak properties and typically an absurd style to back it up. They are normally included purely for laughs, not for balance. An example of this is Pichu from Melee, who has many negative traits and is even referred to as bad in the game itself.
Sorry, I meant joke prediction. Like Double Mario or N64 Logo.

Gunla

wow, gaming!
BRoomer

So in other words, Dan Hibiki. Because we "needed" another damn shoto.

Last edited:

andimidna

Smash Master
I came up with an idea for Peach today.
Different Toads for her color swaps.
(Hopefully color swaps change slightly more than color like in Melee for some characters)

Regular Peach=Regular Toad

Fire Peach=Fire Toad

Ice Peach=Ice (Blue) Toad

Sunshine Peach=Toadsworth

Daisy Peach= Toadette

Green Peach= Green Peach

Blue Peach= Blue Toad

White Peach=Purple Toad

Red Peach=Red Toad

That's it for Brawl's.

Pauline Peach=Yellow Toad

That's the last of the main Toads.

SM3DW Peach (design actually in Mario games, like what they're doing with Bowser)= SM3DW Captain Toad

And yes, the design is different from galaxy's

Original Peach=Original Toad (5 spots in front, tan, LARGE, no white lining, red shoes, it's different)

Mario 2 Peach=Mario 2 Toad

Maybe even...

Rosalina Peach= either the beta Galaxy toad with a star design instead of a circle... or the 2nd on the bottom (white on red)

Any more ideas?

Attachments

TheLastJinjo

Banned via Warnings
Lucina is far from a joke
She's the biggest one I can think of when it comes to clones. Besides Dark counterparts. :laugh:

What's hilarious though is that Lucas is a semi-clone. But, some people actually act like Lucina is just too unique for that. I wasn't aware she was unique AT ALL!

AEMehr

Mii Fighter
She's the biggest one I can think of when it comes to clones. Besides Dark counterparts.
Coming from the supporter of Metal Mario and the fictional "Adorable" Baby Yoshi. Of course that was some time ago, but I don't make fun of what people would like to see if the character is realistic enough.
What's hilarious though is that Lucas is a semi-clone.
Lucas is basically Ness, except with Love instead of Rockin'. They serve the exact same role on both of their teams. Lucas even knows PK Flash.
But, some people actually act like Lucina is just too unique for that. I wasn't aware she was unique AT ALL!
Maybe this is because you don't look into what a character's actual abilities are and not even play the game they're from and still suggest you know what you're talking about huh???!?!?!?

TheLastJinjo

Banned via Warnings
Coming from the supporter of Metal Mario and the fictional "Adorable" Baby Yoshi.
SUPPORTER =/= SPECULATOR

Also, could you try to stay relevant to the topic? I don't go around being like "Yeah, well in 3rd grade Ariel said he liked Tomato Sauce! So how can he question somebody else for liking it!"

Of course that was some time ago, but I don't make fun of what people would like to see if the character is realistic enough.
Neither do I. Except I also don't criticize people for unrealistic requests either. unlike somebody here...
Lucas is basically Ness, except with Love instead of Rockin'.
And Lucina is basically Marth except with female traits. Which is not even very unique on it's own given how feminine Marth was.

What is the point you're even trying to prove??? That Lucas had a reason to be a semi-clone of Ness? I already know that.

They serve the exact same role on both of their teams Lucas even knows PK Flash.
Lucina and Marth share the same role. A person identified as "Marth" with a practically identical sword who is a caped swordsmen for good.

Maybe this is because you don't look into what a character's actual abilities are and not even play the game they're from and still suggest you know what you're talking about huh???!?!?!?
Yeah, except I do. Mother 3 is my 3rd favorite game as of recently and I own Fire Emblem Awakening.

But, OH! I suppose I didn't do my research because my views are contrary to yours. So there must be some bias explanation for it, right??????

I think it's clear that the only person who doesn't know what he's talking about is YOU. And it's rather sad watching you mock me on that note.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom