• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Not when; but how will they go about revealing characters?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hippopotasauce

Smash Lord
NNID
Hippopotasauce
We obviously don't have the Smash Bros Dojo this time around and no daily updates.
And as far as the daily pictures, nothing new's been shown by them as of yet.
So while it's still a possibility, it's a slim chance that a character will be revealed as a result of a daily picture update.

A good guess is that major reveals of veterans and newcomers will be shown during the monthly Nintendo Directs, and I personally back that idea.
Perhaps there will be a small segment called "Sakurai Says" or whatever, where will he will show a trailer that features a new character and some returning ones too, and maybe a stage or something
Then, he can explain the new content in detail like a miniature Developer Direct.

That's my personal proposal.

LaniusShrike

Smash Champion
We obviously don't have the Smash Bros Dojo this time around and no daily updates.
And as far as the daily pictures, nothing new's been shown by them as of yet.
So while it's still a possibility, it's a slim chance that a character will be revealed as a result of a daily picture update.

A good guess is that major reveals of veterans and newcomers will be shown during the monthly Nintendo Directs, and I personally back that idea.
Perhaps there will be a small segment called "Sakurai Says" or whatever, where will he will show a trailer that features a new character and some returning ones too, and maybe a stage or something
Then, he can explain the new content in detail like a miniature Developer Direct.

That's my personal proposal.

Agreed, I think Nintendo Directs are gonna be the place. Unfortunately, I'm not entirely confident that it'll be every month. Within a week we'll probably know more about the Nintendo Directs.

Starbound

Worlds Apart, But Still Together.
I doubt we'll get monthly Nintendo Directs for this game, but Nintendo Directs are how I expect them to reveal characters.

Then they can update the main site.

Groose

Smash Champion
I expect NEWCOMERS to come in Nintendo directs, but I'd be a bit surprised if Sakurai didn't leak out a few obvious veterans through either the daily pictures or a Dojo.

foolssigma

Smash Ace
NNID
NYTims
I said in another thread that it would be rad for Sakurai to announce characters coinciding with their other game releases during nintendo directs. The dojo can always evolve into something more than just daily photos. Sakurai may even use the Miiverse to say more

Erimir

Smash Lord
3DS FC
3823-8583-9137
I think it's likely some character reveals will come through Nintendo Directs. I am not very optimistic that we'll see another newcomer before next year though.

It also depends on how far they are in completing more characters really...
I said in another thread that it would be rad for Sakurai to announce characters coinciding with their other game releases during nintendo directs. The dojo can always evolve into something more than just daily photos. Sakurai may even use the Miiverse to say more
I could totally see them doing something like that, particularly with veterans.

If, for example, the next Nintendo Direct had a significant segment about Wind Waker HD or DKC Tropical Freeze, I could see them showing off a Zelda character or Diddy. If they talk about Super Mario 3D World and/or the Year of Luigi, Luigi or Peach would be possible reveals.

What would be really cool is if they did something like revealed that K Rool was in DKCTF and revealed him as a newcomer to Smash at the same time.

8-peacock-8

Smash Hero
It's either whenever theres a new game or once a month? Or even better! Whenever Sakurai feels like it's time to reveal a new character.

Speculator

Smash Ace
I agree with the general sentiment - since newcomers seem to so far have been given their own trailers, I think we'll see newcomer reveals to close off Nintendo Directs and then maybe a veteran reveal on the website every month or so.

Infinitroll

Smash Rookie
Olimar got confirmed recently because of the game releasing in japan. There was no trailer, but a set photos were put up online. Maybe more announcements will happen with new games. Such as the pokemon rep being announced the day before pokemon x & y releases. I could also see nintendo directs being used for characters with no upcoming games like ice climbers.

Game Releases & Nintendo Direct Announcements/Showings
I heard someone else say this

Like when they go more in detail on X, or when it releases, they announce Shulk. Or when Donkey Kong Country Tropical Freeze comes out later this year, Diddy and/or a DK newcomers showing up.

Speculator

Smash Ace
Olimar got confirmed recently because of the game releasing in japan. There was no trailer, but a set photos were put up online. Maybe more announcements will happen with new games. Such as the pokemon rep being announced the day before pokemon x & y releases. I could also see nintendo directs being used for characters with no upcoming games like ice climbers.
I think veteran characters are a different matter. Olimar didn't get a trailer because he wasn't a "reveal" in the same way as Villager/Mega Man/Wii Fit Trainer, he was more of a confirmation of a returning character. I think veterans, including Ice Climbers, will be confirmed without trailers on the website and new characters will be shown off more fully with Direct trailers and posters on their Dojo profiles.

Ninka_kiwi

Smash Ace
I think veteran characters are a different matter. Olimar didn't get a trailer because he wasn't a "reveal" in the same way as Villager/Mega Man/Wii Fit Trainer, he was more of a confirmation of a returning character. I think veterans, including Ice Climbers, will be confirmed without trailers on the website and new characters will be shown off more fully with Direct trailers and posters on their Dojo profiles.

Yeah I remember in an interview, Sakurai stated all new comers would get both a CG reveal trailer and some kind of official artwork.

I totally see Nintendo showing characters at both events and during directs of course, we will probably get our next character whenever the next worldwide Nintendo Direct is.

Infinitroll

Smash Rookie
That could be a possibility. It makes sense. Now it's just a matter of when they get revealed. Newcomer or veteran. People are speculating that luigi will be confirmed with the release of super luigi u. And maybe peach with mario 3d land.

Speculator

Smash Ace
That could be a possibility. It makes sense. Now it's just a matter of when they get revealed. Newcomer or veteran. People are speculating that luigi will be confirmed with the release of super luigi u. And maybe peach with mario 3d land.
Isn't New Super Luigi U already released in Japan? I think it came out Saturday.

Hippopotasauce

Smash Lord
NNID
Hippopotasauce
Isn't New Super Luigi U already released in Japan? I think it came out Saturday.
It's also released in America, Europe, and Australia as of June 21.
Since he's an unlockeable character, I doubt he'll be shown before release.

FalKoopa

Rainbow Waifu
BRoomer
3DS FC
1650-3685-3998
Switch FC
SW-5545-7990-4793
If Japan gets an earlier release, he can get revealed before the game releases in the west.

Xigger

Smash Lord
Wasn't Wii Fit Trainer announced via the website? She wasn't shown at the same time as Villager and Megaman, but was she announced at E3 in any sort of way, or was it just the dojo update that revealed her?

Speculator

Smash Ace
Oh yeah, the digital version was out last month. I think it was the retail version that just came out in Japan.

I think you're right though, Luigi is one of two characters who has been unlockable in all three SSB games so far. Though he's not much of a surprise, I think he'll probably be kept secret.

Wasn't Wii Fit Trainer announced via the website? She wasn't shown at the same time as Villager and Megaman, but was she announced at E3 in any sort of way, or was it just the dojo update that revealed her?
The reveal trailer was shown at Nintendo's E3 booth before it made its way online.

Xigger

Smash Lord
Hm. It does seem like their marketing plan to announce newcomers and make a big deal of it during their directs.

They usually average 2-3 times a month so far this year, but we've only had one a month for June and July. Perhaps it might kick up soon?

Scoliosis Jones

Kept you waiting, huh?
Writing Team
NNID
ScoliosisxJones
3DS FC
1762-3194-1826
I think it will be a veteran every other month, and then a newcomer or two in a Nintendo Direct in the the month after. Lather, rinse repeat.

So basically, I expect a new character in the next Nintendo direct, and then I am expecting a veteran to be announced in September.

Nintendo Directs take place every two months right? Or something like that?

Infinitroll

Smash Rookie
I still think the replacement for lucario will be announced very near the release of pokemon x&y. That is in october if i'm not mistaken.

Dark Phazon

Smash Hero
I think it will be a veteran every other month, and then a newcomer or two in a Nintendo Direct in the the month after. Lather, rinse repeat.

So basically, I expect a new character in the next Nintendo direct, and then I am expecting a veteran to be announced in September.

Hmmm if anything i was thinking this too seems reasonable.

But damn..ninty need to sort themselves out...it seems like they are allergic to money....(0_0)

Get Cracking up the WiiU VC were are the GBA & N64 Games?
Why wont you release the 3DS Ambassodor games to the public yet?

The Whole gamepad gimmic is biting them in the ass at every turn...

No devs wanna make a game for the system because of it...

The WiiU would be around the price of the Wii at launch if it had a standard pad..

Bringing VC games to WiiU takes alot more time because of the gamepad...they are old games...and its your system why is it taking so long?

Speculator

Smash Ace

Something like that. There's no consistent pattern for them, I believe they just do one when they have enough to show.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom