• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

No new IPs?

Status
Not open for further replies.

pupNapoleon

Smash Hero
NNID
NapoleonPlays
3DS FC
5129-1683-5306
Switch FC
SW 3124 9647 8311
I've gotta say...

Palutena is a pretty awkward reveal for e3. I am not certain for sure, but I am pretty sure it means we are at the point of no new IPs for post-e3 character release, excluding secret characters.

All reveals being planned out, of course the big ones would before the release would be for these three days.
It stands to reason, hers being between two others, that hers would be the weakest.

Nintendo has been trying to hype up by showing as many new IPs as possible, and I think i they are resorting to unveiling her, we are out of new unlocked IPs for the start of the game.

Unless one is revealed today

VictoryIsMudkipz

Smash Journeyman
Was really hoping Dillon (Rolling Western) was gonna be playable, but sadly no..
Other than that
inb4SplatoonCharacterAnnouncement in Smash

pupNapoleon

Smash Hero
NNID
NapoleonPlays
3DS FC
5129-1683-5306
Switch FC
SW 3124 9647 8311
I'm NOT ignoring Mii nor Pacman
Let me reiterate if I was unclear;

If he is at the point where he is going to show old franchises, I think we are out of new IPs that are not locked, simply because they build more hype to a larger community, and he made sure to even emphasize how important it is to build hype for the game to not just the fanbase.

Palutena is for the fans... I guess it could be seen as for the Icarus fans, too, but not as much.

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
Well, Pikmin and Animal Crossing were too new to have playable characters in Melee. They eventually got playable characters in Brawl and SSB4. Wii Sports and Wii Fit were too new to have playable characters in Brawl but their characters made the cut in SSB4.

Right now, Wonderful 101 and Rolling Western are too new to have playable characters in SSB4... maybe Wonder Red and Dillon might make it in SSB5 if their franchises continue to be popular with fans and print money for Nintendo in the future.

Speculator

Smash Ace
If he is at the point where he is going to show old franchises, I think we are out of new IPs that are not locked, simply because they build more hype to a larger community, and he made sure to even emphasize how important it is to build hype for the game to not just the fanbase.
Palutena isn't the first newcomer we've seen from an established franchise, though. Remember Rosalina and Greninja?

pupNapoleon

Smash Hero
NNID
NapoleonPlays
3DS FC
5129-1683-5306
Switch FC
SW 3124 9647 8311
Palutena isn't the first newcomer we've seen from an established franchise, though. Remember Rosalina and Greninja?
But e3 is where the biggest hype for a character is going to be given; and the most fans would come from a new IP, is moreso the theory.

Dinoman96

Smash Master
Going on by the leak (which is real no matter how hard you try to deny otherwise), we have:

Xenoblade
Rhythm Heaven
Punch-Out!!
Megaman
Pac-Man
Animal Crossing
Wii Fit
Miis I suppose

Depending on you look at it, that's a total of seven to eight new series added to the playable roster. Definitely the highest we ever had.

In comparison, Brawl added six new series (Pikmin, R.O.B., Kid Icarus, WarioWare, Metal Gear, Sonic). Melee only added three (Ice Climber, Fire Emblem, Game & Watch).

Last edited:

pupNapoleon

Smash Hero
NNID
NapoleonPlays
3DS FC
5129-1683-5306
Switch FC
SW 3124 9647 8311
Going on by the leak (which is real no matter how hard you try to deny otherwise), we have:

Xenoblade
Rhythm Heaven
Punch-Out!!
Megaman
Pac-Man
Animal Crossing
Wii Fit
Miis I suppose

Depending on you look at it, that's a total of seven to eight new series added to the playable roster. Definitely the highest we ever had.

In comparison, Brawl added six new series (Pikmin, R.O.B., Kid Icarus, WarioWare, Metal Gear, Sonic). Melee only added three (Ice Climber, Fire Emblem, Game & Watch).
Which could easily mean, no more new unlockable ones announced, which is what this thread is about. Though Sometimes I only read the titles too, so no hard feelings :) I enjoy that perspective, eight is indeed a lot.

Just want some of the older overlooked ones

stan423321

Smash Journeyman
I don't find Palutena reveal awkward. Sure, she doesn't introduce a new franchise to Smash, but I don't see Nintendo really pushing for this getting out of the way - actually, with games not releasing soon, it would make more sense to pace them so we get some of these closer to (Japanese) release.

pupNapoleon

Smash Hero
NNID
NapoleonPlays
3DS FC
5129-1683-5306
Switch FC
SW 3124 9647 8311
I don't find Palutena reveal awkward. Sure, she doesn't introduce a new franchise to Smash, but I don't see Nintendo really pushing for this getting out of the way - actually, with games not releasing soon, it would make more sense to pace them so we get some of these closer to (Japanese) release.
I would hope they would pace it; e3 doesn't necessarily seem the place to do this, but it isn't the reveal and they do sort of have to just reveal characters as expected here, not necessarily the BEST ones. Particularly since they seemed to have delayed the game

pupNapoleon

Smash Hero
NNID
NapoleonPlays
3DS FC
5129-1683-5306
Switch FC
SW 3124 9647 8311
You don't know Nintendo fans very well, do you?
I'm actually referring to Sakurai's statements, particularly during the QandA about appealing to hype.
Of course the most wanted characters to ESTABLISHED fans of smash are the likes of Ridley, K Rool, Toad, ---insert personal here--

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom