• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

NintenZone Social Thread: Shovel Knight Amiibo Hype Catastrophe (feat. Swamp)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kenith

Overkill Sarcasm
The Fabulous Friendly Super Sparkle Train
NNID
RipoffmanXKTG
3DS FC
4210-4224-9442
From Sakurai, at Game Developers Conference, 2008:
Standard for Selecting Characters:
・The character must display personality in their game

・It’s important to have something unique about that character

・Potential development issues, and game balance is also taken into some consideration

・ Balance among the franchises is also taken into consideration
Wow.
・Potential development issues, and game balance is also taken into some consideration
Well now we know what happened to Ridley.

Last edited:

Starlight_Lily

Stage Overflowing with Starlight
Lucky is not a real reason because everybody in smash were lucky to get in
Daisy is just playing sports she doesn't even have a big backstory like :4bowserjr::rosalina:
Daisy is just playing sports you say? Funny cause that's why most people want her. You know to be the Mario sports spin-off rep.

Actually DK Jr is the current DK's father. Not the current DK.
Well he was DK Jr until Retro retconned him into being Cranky's grandson instead of his son. Although we all know what is canon to the DK series

*insert that brawl in the family comic (you know the one with old DK and Diddy)*

Champ Gold

Smash Scrublord
3DS FC
1779-2820-4833
Switch FC
SW-1452-9841-1035
I thought that it was Zero Suit Samus in general. She has been in a couple of Metroid games before Other M. In fact, Brawl predates her appearance in Other M...
Its her Other M armor appearance though isnt it? :4samus:

The armor is pretty much Other M with Prime features and design.

The Zero Suit design is pretty similar but the differences are heavy and it's more than just Heels
image.jpg

Biggest thing is Smash Smaus looks more toned and fit compared to Skinnyfat Other M Samus

Geno Boost

Smash Master
While I like Geno and all he's nowhere near that popular or important. He's one of the better choices from Super Mario RPG, sure, and I think he should get a trophy if Square Enix gets a character, but that's as far as he should get till he gets some real appearances(not quick cameos).
That's good actually because having a Geno trophy will help his chances to appear in future games plus we have never seen Geno in the new generation of gaming and it will make a lot of people smile because it's the first time Geno appears in 3D also it will show that Nintendo and square Enix cares about their fans

Geno Boost

Smash Master
Daisy is just playing sports you say? Funny cause that's why most people want her. You know to be the Mario sports spin-off rep.

Well he was DK Jr until Retro retconned him into being Cranky's grandson instead of his son. Although we all know what is canon to the DK series

*insert that brawl in the family comic (you know the one with old DK and Diddy)*
daisy is not a spinoff character she is from super Mario land

Kenith

Overkill Sarcasm
NNID
RipoffmanXKTG
3DS FC
4210-4224-9442
The armor is pretty much Other M with Prime features and design.

The Zero Suit design is pretty similar but the differences are heavy and it's more than just Heels
View attachment 57971

Biggest thing is Smash Smaus looks more toned and fit compared to Skinnyfat Other M Samus
Difference between Other M Samus and Smash 4 Samus:
- Smash Samus is buff as ****
- Smash Samus's hair looks like hair and not cheese
- Just a better character in every way

Champ Gold

Smash Scrublord
3DS FC
1779-2820-4833
Switch FC
SW-1452-9841-1035
Difference between Other M Samus and Smash 4 Samus:
- Smash Samus is buff as ****
- Smash Samus's hair looks like hair and not cheese
- Just a better character in every way
You're in a game where these two :4wiifit::4wiifitm: exist. You better look fit and buff. Even :4wario: got some muscles and :4feroy: looks like he has tone

image.jpg

Weak sauce punks like :4link::4marth:&:4shulk: aren't even close to being real men.

:4robinm: is a pasty nerd, he can get away with it.

Firus

You know what? I am good.
BRoomer
NNID
OctagonalWalnut
3DS FC
0619-4291-4974
And re:Square Enix - I never really was that interested in Geno, and I agree with most of the arguments limiting his chances. I wouldn't really pick a FF character, or Sora because he's co owned by Disney. I always imagined a Bravely Default character or even better, Neku from The World Ends With You (dat music doe). 'Tis a pipe dream tho
Oh man, I would kill for some TWEWY in Smash. With it being as old as it is with no sequel there's zero chance at this point, but I love that game so much. I downloaded a Neku skin/moveset (for Lucas) back in the Brawl days based on a bunch of his psychs and it was so broken, but so cool.

Okay ... Look like a really stupid move from Nintendo .

http://www.gamercenteronline.net/20...o-show-wonderful-footage-of-zelda-wiiu-at-e3/

Nintendo ... just ... why ?
I suppose I'm a little late because people have pointed this out to a degree, but while it would've really benefited E3, I honestly can't disagree with their decision. They totally got burned by showing Twilight Princess stuff and getting everybody super hyped way before it was released, and the general Zelda fanbase is, frankly, so picky and scrutinizing (at least when it comes to the newest Zelda installment) that it's probably best for them to wait on it.

Maybe from a pure marketing standpoint it wasn't great, but for my own personal interest in not seeing the Zelda fans following the same exact pattern as always, I'm kind of with them on this.

Disclaimer that I am a Zelda fan and am not inherently criticizing anybody who is a Zelda fan with what I'm saying. Just that specific part of the fanbase.

TheAnvil

Smash Hero
From Sakurai, at Game Developers Conference, 2008:

Standard for Selecting Characters:

・It’s important to have something unique about that character

・ Balance among the franchises is also taken into consideration
I think he forgot that last rule when developing this game lol.

Thelimomon

Smash Journeyman
Note: I believe Sakurai defines "personality" as "something that makes a character unique" not the "character-wise personality".

Burb

The Absolute Worst
That's why i said a lot of fans gave up on hoping Geno to appear in a Mario game even if the game was made by square their only hope is to see Geno is smash so then he can have a future in the future Mario games

You mean someone like slime or black Mage? They can't make the same hype as Geno if they got in smash they aren't even requested a lot even in japan Geno is requested than any other square characters and I saw the japaness poll if square wants more money then they are going to choose Geno because this what most smash community wants from them but we can't put Geno alone of course we should put black Mage with him because he is a video game legend and I already said SMRPG was released worldwide in wii eshop
Uhhh......Black Mage and Slime are both more well-known than Geno. Well, Slime is debatable, but in Japan he most definitely is.

If Square "wants more money", they're going to pick a character people have actually heard of. I don't get why you think Geno is this cash cow. If he had any sort of value, they would've brought him back in one of the Mario games Square developed. He's useless to Nintendo and he's worthless to Square.

He's not even highly requested for Smash anymore. Just because you still want him doesn't mean he's as popular as he was pre-Brawl. Look at everyone else in this thread who's commented; they've all said that he's dropped in popularity.

Random, but I honestly think that Isaac has a bigger shot than King K. Rool right now.
Dead character from a dead series that's niche vs Dead character from an active series that's popular

Last edited:

DoodleDuck97

Smash Hero
Living in a peacefull place on nowhere islands.
So I went looking for Sonic Boom ROL used.
It's still selling for £30+
It's not my time to experience it yet.
But hey I seen Marth today. For normal price in a town near me.
And it was Marth. Not Merth (Derp Face)
It was really weird seeing him but then these being out of stock.
:4mario::4luigi::4peach::4link::4dk:

Last edited:

Burb

The Absolute Worst
This post will have more value when we're not talking about Geno though. ;)
Don't worry, I can multi-task. I already responded. Check the post above you.

I think it's a tad silly, but you are Mr. "I think Assist Trophies will be made playable because I want Midna and Ghirahim", so that's sort of par for the course. :smirk:

Last edited:

TheAnvil

Smash Hero
Random, but I honestly think that Isaac has a bigger shot than King K. Rool right now.
Couldn't disagree more. Isaac didn't even get a trophy in this game (unless he did and I don't have it).

He's from a franchise that isn't only dead, but if it did see a revival would likely feature a different main protagonist. Not to mention that his fanbase greatly exaggerates his popularity, often lumping him with Ridley, Mewtwo and K. Rool which is frankly laughable. And he'd likely be thematically similar to Robin.

On the other hand we've got who is now by far the most highly requested newcomer, and the main antagonist of Nintendo's 4th most successful IP. Even his Smash trophy describes him as Donkey Kong's Bowser. He may have missed the last few games, but odds are he'll return eventually. Ganondorf missed a couple Zelda games too, but he's still Zelda's main villain, and is in Smash.

I say this as someone who believes that Dixie is more likely than K. Rool too.

Omega Tyrant

Smash Champion
NNID
OmegaTyrant
Also the speculation that :falcon:,:ness2:&:jigglypuff: would get cut was funny and stupid at the same time. Man the thought of those 3 getting cut was really crazy and heated.
Unlike most cut speculation, I would say the logic behind Ness being cut from Brawl was pretty sound. It was well known by then that Lucas was originally intended to replace Ness in Melee, so with Lucas being revealed with no Ness in sight, it was a reasonable conclusion that Sakurai was following through with what he intended to do in Melee. Additionally, Lucas' page on the Dojo made it sound like he was being included to replace Ness.

Kenith

Overkill Sarcasm
NNID
RipoffmanXKTG
3DS FC
4210-4224-9442
I think it's a tad silly, but you are Mr. "I think Assist Trophies will be made playable because I want Midna and Ghirahim", so that's sort of par for the course. :smirk:
Pictured: How to start an unnecessary flame war.
I shouldn't even bother responding to this, but first off, that's not what I think at all, and I'm sure you know that and you're just trying to instigate a hateful response from me.
But I'm not going to do that.

Couldn't disagree more. Isaac didn't even get a trophy in this game (unless he did and I don't have it).
He's from a franchise that isn't only dead, but if it did see a revival would likely feature a different main protagonist. Not to mention that his fanbase greatly exaggerates his popularity, often lumping him with Ridley, Mewtwo and K. Rool which is frankly laughable. And he'd likely be thematically similar to Robin.
On the other hand we've got who is now by far the most highly requested newcomer, and the main antagonist of Nintendo's 4th most successful IP. Even his Smash trophy describes him as Donkey Kong's Bowser. He may have missed the last few games, but odds are he'll return eventually. Ganondorf missed a couple Zelda games too, but he's still Zelda's main villain, and is in Smash.
I say this as someone who believes that Dixie is more likely than K. Rool too.
Well, I can't argue with most of this.
Although I will say King K. Rool's popularity is greatly exaggerated too.

Spazzy_D

Smash Hero
NNID
Spazzy_D
3DS FC
1590-4700-7117
I think Geno should be a few Mario Sports titles though, it beats having all those dumb babies everywhere.

DK Jr, Stan The Bugman, Pauline would be good too.

Nintendo probably own the character, right? I don't know much about him but I'm assuming it's like a Diddy Kong situation where Square invented the character FOR Nintendo?
Geno is 100% owned by Squaresoft actually, I pulled up some copyrights a while back. I wonder how difficult it would be for Nintendo to just purchase those properties, it's not like SE is doing anything with them. Nintendo obviously thinks it's not worth it, though, as if they did they would have probably pursued rather than create their own Mario RPG spin off series.

I wouldn't mind some more variety in the Mario sports spin offs, though. Some of the Paper Mario partners would be hype as hell.

Enix owned Dragon Quest before Square and Enix merged?
#SOMETHINGNEWLEARNT
I think a lot of people don't realize how mind blowing that merger was. Enix was an industry giant in and of itself. Sqauresoft had more Western appeal, but I would argue that Enix may have actually edged them out in Japan. These two companies were THE JRPG companies during the 8, 16, and 32 bit eras. It wasn't just DQ and FF, either. Around 90% of the notable JRPS from the time where developed by one of these two companies. Them coming together basically created a monopoly on the quickly evolving genre (which I think ended up being a bad thing in the long run.)

It would be a bit like if Bioware merged with Bethesda instead of being bought by EA. That still wouldn't be as big of a deal, though.

Geno Boost

Smash Master
Uhhh......Black Mage and Slime are both more well-known than Geno. Well, Slime is debatable, but in Japan he most definitely is.

If Square "wants more money", they're going to pick a character people have actually heard of. I don't get why you think Geno is this cash cow. If he had any sort of value, they would've brought him back in one of the Mario games Square developed. He's useless to Nintendo and he's worthless to Square.

He's not even highly requested for Smash anymore. Just because you still want him doesn't mean he's as popular as he was pre-Brawl. Look at everyone else in this thread who's commented; they've all said that he's dropped in popularity.

Dead character from a dead series that's niche vs Dead character from an active series that's popular
The point of 3rd party is to make the rest of the world happy not just 1 country adding slime is like adding goemon because they aren't popular outside japan

geno is the most requested square character so he is a money maker also having geno in smash will give him a future just like pit after he joined brawl also SMRPG was important in both square and Nintendo history so keep that in mind

Yes he is. in smashboards he is the 8th most discussed new character also I already explained about what happend to the whole fanbase that were in brawl they are now on tumblr, Facebook, Twitter, YouTube, deivenart voting for geno and telling people to vote for him too if they were all in smashboards again you are going to change your mind about him not being popular also you can count japan where Geno is the most requested square character just like here

TheAnvil

Smash Hero
Pictured: How to start an unnecessary flame war.
I shouldn't even bother responding to this, but first off, that's not what I think at all, and I'm sure you know that and you're just trying to instigate a hateful response from me.
But I'm not going to do that.

Well, I can't argue with most of this.
Although I will say King K. Rool's popularity is greatly exaggerated too.
I dunno about that. He's clearly the most requested character for Smash in both Japan and the ROW. I do think a lot of his popularity for Smash comes from people just wanting another DK character because it's clearly the most neglected franchise in Smash and preferring it to be K. Rool because he's a lot more different visually and tonally than any other viable DK rep, who are all Kongs. Plus there's an inherent need for more villains in the eyes of many.

While his popularity may stem from what you could consider to be an inauthentic source, it's definitely there.

Do you have sources for any of this stuff?
To be honest I think he's the only requested Square character.

Geno is 100% owned by Squaresoft actually, I pulled up some copyrights a while back. I wonder how difficult it would be for Nintendo to just purchase those properties, it's not like SE is doing anything with them. Nintendo obviously thinks it's not worth it, though, as if they did they would have probably pursued rather than create their own Mario RPG spin off series.

I wouldn't mind some more variety in the Mario sports spin offs, though. Some of the Paper Mario partners would be hype as hell.

I think a lot of people don't realize how mind blowing that merger was. Enix was an industry giant in and of itself. Sqauresoft had more Western appeal, but I would argue that Enix may have actually edged them out in Japan. These two companies were THE JRPG companies during the 8, 16, and 32 bit eras. It wasn't just DQ and FF, either. Around 90% of the notable JRPS from the time where developed by one of these two companies. Them coming together basically created a monopoly on the quickly evolving genre (which I think ended up being a bad thing in the long run.)

It would be a bit like if Bioware merged with Bethesda instead of being bought by EA. That still wouldn't be as big of a deal, though.
I wonder how the hell Square made a Mario game and managed to own a character in it. That would be like Rare owning Krystal or Diddy Kong!!

It could be worth it for Nintendo just so they can release the games on the eshop. They could probably give SE a fiver and be all squared up.

Last edited:

Kenith

Overkill Sarcasm
NNID
RipoffmanXKTG
3DS FC
4210-4224-9442
I dunno about that. He's clearly the most requested character for Smash in both Japan and the ROW. I do think a lot of his popularity for Smash comes from people just wanting another DK character because it's clearly the most neglected franchise in Smash and preferring it to be K. Rool because he's a lot more different visually and tonally than any other viable DK rep, who are all Kongs. Plus there's an inherent need for more villains in the eyes of many.
While his popularity may stem from what you could consider to be an inauthentic source, it's definitely there.
...I could honestly reword a lot of this and say it about Isaac.

Spazzy_D

Smash Hero
NNID
Spazzy_D
3DS FC
1590-4700-7117
Sora is more heavily requested than Geno.

Not a fan of either choice (at all.)

Champ Gold

Smash Scrublord
3DS FC
1779-2820-4833
Switch FC
SW-1452-9841-1035

To be honest I think he's the only requested Square character.

I wonder how the hell Square made a Mario game and managed to own a character in it. That would be like Rare owning Krystal or Diddy Kong!!

It could be worth it for Nintendo just so they can release the games on the eshop. They could probably give SE a fiver and be all squared up.
That's because Square's biggest and iconic character is more related to Sony and has never been playable on a Nintendo console.

Remember what I said, playable, not cameo

TheAnvil

Smash Hero
...I could honestly reword a lot of this and say it about Isaac.
Eh what?

My main points were:
K. Rool is the most requested character.
DK is the most neglected franchise in Smash.
K. Rool is different visually to the Kongs.
Fans want more villains.

Isaac doesn't really apply to any of this, except in a pretty twisted way being different to the Kongs. Which shouldn't be a reason why any character from an unrelated franchise should get in.

BluePikmin11

Akko is my dear daughter!
NNID
blue

CroonerMike

Smash Lord
Eh what?

My main points were:
K. Rool is the most requested character.
DK is the most neglected franchise in Smash.
K. Rool is different visually to the Kongs.
Fans want more villains.

Isaac doesn't really apply to any of this, except in a pretty twisted way being different to the Kongs. Which shouldn't be a reason why any character from an unrelated franchise should get in.
Would Metroid be neglected more than Donkey Kong? Not arguing with you, just curious.

Spazzy_D

Smash Hero
NNID
Spazzy_D
3DS FC
1590-4700-7117

Contracts are a tricky thing. I think there is some verbiage out there that mentions that all original character created in SMRPG are the property of Square. Characters like Boshi, who is himself a Yoshi, probably fall into a grey area as far as copyright goes.

Would Metroid be neglected more than Donkey Kong? Not arguing with you, just curious.
Metroid got 2 new AT

DK did not.

Both got a new stage with a gimmick though.

However all of metroids big characters are represented either as playabke or as a boss.

Dixie and K rool are just trophies

Last edited:

PushDustIn

Salt Lord
BRoomer
Writing Team
NNID
PushDustIn
3DS FC
3695-0954-3750
Prove to me that I am wrong
EDIT: here is a proof about what japan mostly have voted for

EDIT: i found another one and its worldwide poll
By the way, I collected the data for the first graph ;)

Smash 2 poll, I think Chocobo wins against Geno.

Geno may have gotten some votes, and his fan base is just as loud as it is in Japan than it is in the Us....but I don't see Geno being added to Smash. He's a third party character, and there are other Square characters which have more legacy and iconography than Geno.

CroonerMike

Smash Lord
By the way, I collected the data for the first graph ;)

Smash 2 poll, I think Chocobo wins against Geno.

Geno may have gotten some votes, and his fan base is just as loud as it is in Japan than it is in the Us....but I don't see Geno being added to Smash. He's a third party character, and there are other Square characters which have more legacy and iconography than Geno.
I guess it's time for smash poll 3 ;D.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom